• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar FC

After taking everything apart and putting it back together it just booted. We still have no fucking clue but we don't really care anymore. Been a stressful 24 hours.

grendelrt

Hey Guys stupid quesiton. Where can i get the latest intel motherboard drivers for my z170 board for Windows 10? I cannot find them on Intel's site. My motherboard manufacturer drivers are prettty old and I would like to try something newer to help solve some issues. These are the drivers I currently have installed from their site.

Intel Management Engine Interface 11.0.0.1162 2015/08/27
Intel INF installation 10.1.1.9 2015/08/03
Intel SATA Preinstall driver 14.6.0.1029 2015/10/16
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 14.6.0.1029 2015/10/16

Is it generally not a good idea to use Intels drivers vs what the motherboard maker has currently?

Found the issue; broken hardrive plug. Anybody know how that could prevent it from booting?

You mean the SATA cable? I guess the motherboard could've choked on getting a weird signal from the drive.

Hey Guys stupid quesiton. Where can i get the latest intel motherboard drivers for my z170 board for Windows 10? I cannot find them on Intel's site. My motherboard manufacturer drivers are prettty old and I would like to try something newer to help solve some issues. These are the drivers I currently have installed from their site.

Is it generally not a good idea to use Intels drivers vs what the motherboard maker has currently?
What motherboard? In general your best bet is the manufacturer's website. Unless you have a specific issue that intel has provided a fix for that you might need (that the manufacturer hasn't acknowledged).

grendelrt

You mean the SATA cable? I guess the motherboard could've choked on getting a weird signal from the drive.

What motherboard? In general your best bet is the manufacturer's website. Unless you have a specific issue that intel has provided a fix for that you might need (that the manufacturer hasn't acknowledged).

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 . I am having DPC latency issues and currently the only solution I have found is getting my PCIE speed to Gen2. I have been using LatencyMon to try and track down the issue but had no luck. Hoping it may be a driver issue , but I am running everything latest that is on the Gigabyte website and the latest for my GPU and Sound card.

Ouch, couple of pins bent totally the opposite way that might snap if you try to bend back.
I would still give it a shot, get a crafting knife or something like a thin blade with a point tip and you can try bend them back to match the overall pattern.

Still nothing. Gotta just order new parts, starting with a new CPU (long overdue imo)

So, what's a decent mobo to pair a i5-4590 with?

LilJoka

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 . I am having DPC latency issues and currently the only solution I have found is getting my PCIE speed to Gen2. I have been using LatencyMon to try and track down the issue but had no luck. Hoping it may be a driver issue , but I am running everything latest that is on the Gigabyte website and the latest for my GPU and Sound card.

What ram and is the ram running XMP or overclocked?

You might try search for Intel chipset drivers for a particular board series but I'm not sure where to get them from directly since Intel stopped making mobos.

grendelrt

What drivers is latencymon picking up as possible causes?

It was mainly the dx driver, hd audio driver, and the nvidia display drivers. Theres tons of threads on it, but no single answer on how to fix it. Ive worked through an insane amount of solutions (software, hpet, disabling hardware, etc) over the past 2 days. Only one that works is dropping my pcie down to 2.0, which wouldnt bother me too much but im also only running 8x because of sli. It works, I guess I can just wait for a new bios or motherboard driver update at gigabyte and see if it eventually fixes itself.

LilJoka

It was mainly the dx driver, hd audio driver, and the nvidia display drivers. Theres tons of threads on it, but no single answer on how to fix it. Ive worked through an insane amount of solutions (software, hpet, disabling hardware, etc) over the past 2 days. Only one that works is dropping my pcie down to 2.0, which wouldnt bother me too much but im also only running 8x because of sli. It works, I guess I can just wait for a new bios or motherboard driver update at gigabyte and see if it eventually fixes itself.

After a fresh install, what drivers have you installed?
What peripherals are you running?
Windows 10? Tried 7?
Assume you tried various bios versions?
Turned off power saving features? C states speedstep?
Is the latency causing any real world problems?
Killer NIC? Tried the stripped down Atheros driver?
E Mailed gigabyte?

grendelrt

After a fresh install, what drivers have you installed?just the gigabyte site drivers, nvidia, and creative
What peripherals are you running? None currently, other than m+kb
Windows 10? Tried 7? 10, dont want to go down to 7
Assume you tried various bios versions? tried 3
Turned off power saving features? C states speedstep? not yet
Is the latency causing any real world problems? yes sound issues in gaming
Killer NIC? Tried the stripped down Atheros driver? tried disabling it altogether
E Mailed gigabyte? not yet, may soon

filled in

LilJoka

filled in

Really the only drivers to install are as follows:

Necessary:
Intel chipset
Intel management engine
GPU drivers (driver and control panel only)

Nice to have
LAN
USB 3.0

Later/Unnecessary:
3rd party audio chipset
3rd party USB 3/SATA
3rd party dedicated software (keyboard mouse or other peripheral)

You should really fresh install either Windows 10 or 7 and try only necessary drivers before troubleshooting further. Then install LAN and USB 3 drivers and test. I hate testing this on Windows 10bas it installs drivers automatically without any real control and that makes it difficult to troubleshoot. You should try win 7 on a spare drive if need be.

grendelrt

Really the only drivers to install are as follows:

Necessary:
Intel chipset
Intel management engine
GPU drivers (driver and control panel only)

Nice to have
LAN
USB 3.0

Later/Unnecessary:
3rd party audio chipset
3rd party USB 3/SATA
3rd party dedicated software (keyboard mouse or other peripheral)

You should really fresh install either Windows 10 or 7 and try only necessary drivers before troubleshooting further. Then install LAN and USB 3 drivers and test. I hate testing this on Windows 10bas it installs drivers automatically without any real control and that makes it difficult to troubleshoot. You should try win 7 on a spare drive if need be.
Yeah that was a major problem i was having with windows 10, it kept installing crap while I was trying to troubleshoot. I may do a refresh at some point. Too tired to do it now :O

Since I upgraded my main PC from a i5-3570k to a 5820k, i've been in heaven. Encodes are way faster, recording 1080p-1440p games while streaming them are nothing and well, everything just flies now.

So I'm looking at upgrading my 1150 i5-4590s in my HTPC/Streaming box. I also use it for a VMware server that hosts Plex, since my Dell 2950 III died and I'm waiting til tax returns to get either a Dell PE R610 or R710. But my question is regarding i7 vs Xeons, specifically for gaming. Sure the nutshell version is that the Xeons are on par with the i7, without the integrated GPU. However all the CPU scoring are showing the i7-4790k and i7-4790 are higher up than the Xeon E3 1231 V3 and E3 1241 V3.

Is there anyone running an 1150 slot Xeon and if so, how does it compare with gaming / encoding?

Cost break down:

Xeon E3 1241 v3 - $229.99
Xeon E3 1246 v3 - $239.99
I7-4790 - $249.99
I7-4790k - $299.99

LilJoka

Since I upgraded my main PC from a i5-3570k to a 5820k, i've been in heaven. Encodes are way faster, recording 1080p-1440p games while streaming them are nothing and well, everything just flies now.

So I'm looking at upgrading my 1150 i5-4590s in my HTPC/Streaming box. I also use it for a VMware server that hosts Plex, since my Dell 2950 III died and I'm waiting til tax returns to get either a Dell PE R610 or R710. But my question is regarding i7 vs Xeons, specifically for gaming. Sure the nutshell version is that the Xeons are on par with the i7, without the integrated GPU. However all the CPU scoring are showing the i7-4790k and i7-4790 are higher up than the Xeon E3 1231 V3 and E3 1241 V3.

Is there anyone running an 1150 slot Xeon and if so, how does it compare with gaming / encoding?

Cost break down:

Xeon E3 1241 v3 - $229.99
Xeon E3 1246 v3 - $239.99
I7-4790 - $249.99
I7-4790k - $299.99

Same chip just slightly different clock speeds.

Ettie

Old PC Stuff for Sale:

Pulled from a running machine that was used daily for 6 years. No overclocking.

4 GB DDR2 - 12.50
Intel E8400 Wolfdale Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz - 35

Paypal, USD, Continental US only. (Sorry others, bad shipping experiences in the past.)

Garuda1One

guys something weird happen to my computer (Again)

I cant hear any sound when im playing games, but i can hear sound clearly when watching from youtube / using chrome.. i already open volume mixer, everything is at 100%, i even test my speaker from sound properties and theres no issue, even windows cannot troubleshoot the issue, its like theres no issue at all !

I can hear sound when watching youtube using chrome but not other application or games.. even theres no sound when watching trailer / videos using steam client..

*yes i tried other browser and its working...
*yes just tried using headphone from the front headphone jack but still no sound from games.. i think this is software related..
*tried using a logitech usb stick that have a headphone jack at the back (like an adapter), still no sound..

helpp this is weirrddd

oh im using windows 10
motherboard is maximus vii hero, and im not using any sound card..

Yudoken

Ordered the parts mainly from mindfactory.de (they're the cheapest and I had good experience with them) now.

I decided to buy different ram 16GB HyperX FURY black DDR4-2133 DIMM because the mobo can't go higher than 2133.

The case with the psu was cheapest here I've bought there before basically is like a site like Ebay but for bigger re-sellers) and the name description is kinda weird...

It's called...
''Geh FRACTAL DESIGN Node 202 Mini-ITX 450W (B)''

What's the ''Geh'' and ''(B)'' mean?
Could it be that it could mean ''Gebraucht'' (German word for "used" ) and ''B'' (letter used for used hardware in good shape/returned item) ?
They had more than 5 and it wasn't described as used, you only could guess that from the title.
I've send them an e-mail so hopefully I get a fast reply.

Other items from there clearly are labeled as used items with a condition description.

Ordered the parts mainly from mindfactory.de (they're the cheapest and I had good experience with them) now.

I decided to buy different ram 16GB HyperX FURY black DDR4-2133 DIMM because the mobo can't go higher than 2133.

The case with the psu was cheapest here I've bought there before basically is like a site like Ebay but for bigger re-sellers) and the name description is kinda weird...

It's called...
''Geh FRACTAL DESIGN Node 202 Mini-ITX 450W (B)''

What's the ''Geh'' and ''(B)'' mean?
Could it be that it could mean ''Gebraucht'' (German word for "used" ) and ''B'' (letter used for used hardware in good shape/returned item) ?
They had more than 5 and it wasn't described as used, you only could guess that from the title.
I've send them an e-mail so hopefully I get a fast reply.

Other items from there clearly are labeled as used items with a condition description.

Geh means Gehäuse in German, or chassis, and the B means that it is revision B of the chassis.

Yudoken

Hmm, from the website it says that the max height for the cpu cooler is 56 mm.
My ordered cooler is 56 mm...
What should I do?
It looks like it should work, googled some images and found this.

jwk94

So it seems like building a small form factor PC box with the graphics card to handle games on High or Ultra is a pipe dream, then?

clo1_2000

Banned
Gaf I need some overclocking help. I have the MSI X99a Raider along with an i7 5820k and Corsair Vengeance 2400mHz DDR 4 RAM.

I can't seem to get both the CPU and RAM to overclock at the same time. I have to Corsair 100i cooler and nice airflow in the case, so I'm not really worried about temperatures. Any advice?

Yudoken

I should've added "at $500" in there. Sorry about that.

For how much?

What's that?

1050€, it's going to be high end pc for a friend and he wants a build with new parts.
If you want one for 500 you need to get used parts and cheaper parts but it should work, it would very decent as long as you look out on sites like craigslist.
I was able to get a good pc for 380 € which could be converted with 130€ to a small itx pc.

Varg

Banned
That Asus 1080p 144hz g sync monitor in the OP has some bad reviews saying its not gsync. Any other Gsync monitors with those specs that people would recommend?

DirtyLarry

If you don't need to buy/upgrade right now, I would just wait. We might get the upper end Pascal card by that time, which would be a killer for VR. No guarantee though.

Did you already pre order Rift? Do you plan on buying a Vive or a Rift? First set of Rift preorders arrive in late March, but if you order now its up to July delivery.

Snipped.
Thank you both for the replies. I am going to hold off.
tearsintherain Yep I have Oculus pre-ordered. Waited a few days so current estimate is June but according to that chart that was going around I have a 30% chance of getting it in May. I am going in blind with Oculus as I have not tried it yet. But I need a new PC regardless and fortunately I make a decent living and can take a risk here and there with tech.

So wait it is. In the meantime I'll be putting a few hundred bucks to the side for the next few months.

So I've been worried about Dedicated VRAM on a video card, since i just got a laptop and i'm ordering my pc parts soon and i've been worried i wont have enough? so how do i find out how much my dedicated vram is on a video card, or is all of its memory the dedicated vram? I'm new to computer building mind you.

Firestorm

My co-worker is looking for a desktop at $1500 USD budget. He also needs a keyboard and mouse in that. I pieced this together but I've been out of PC hardware for a while:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($256.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($115.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($150.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($63.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1248.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 02:46 EST-0500

The plan is to price match at NCIXUS and have it built for $50. Seem good for gaming?

Caayn

Is there any news on what the Kabylake compatibility will be with the 1151 socket and the 100 series chipsets?

I'm planning on building a home server/nas around the Intel I3 6100T. But want the option to upgrade the CPU to something more powerful in the future.

RGM79

So I've been worried about Dedicated VRAM on a video card, since i just got a laptop and i'm ordering my pc parts soon and i've been worried i wont have enough? so how do i find out how much my dedicated vram is on a video card, or is all of its memory the dedicated vram? I'm new to computer building mind you.

What parts are you going to order? VRAM amount is usually listed in the name of the graphics card or the graphics card's model number.

My co-worker is looking for a desktop at $1500 USD budget. He also needs a keyboard and mouse in that. I pieced this together but I've been out of PC hardware for a while:

The plan is to price match at NCIXUS and have it built for $50. Seem good for gaming?
Not bad at all. I recommend you get 2666MHz or higher speed RAM, though.

That power supply is somewhat old and there are better choices. Compared to the EVGA G1 650 watt unit, the EVGA B2 750 watt model is available for $5 cheaper and offers higher wattage, while the EVGA GQ 650 watt model is only $1.50 more and is a newer design. Both are considered to be manufactured to a better standard than the old G1 model. You can see review comparisons here by the Jonny Guru website, which is well-trusted for power supply reviews.

EVGA G1 650 watt: 8.5/10
EVGA B2 750 watt: 9/10
EVGA GQ 650 watt: 9.4/10

Is there any news on what the Kabylake compatibility will be with the 1151 socket and the 100 series chipsets?

I'm planning on building a home server/nas around the Intel I3 6100T. But want the option to upgrade the CPU to something more powerful in the future.

It's 99% guaranteed Kaby Lake will be compatible with socket 1151. Kaby Lake will also launch with new 200 series motherboards with updated support for various tech, but those will also be using socket 1151. Socket 1151 and 100 series chipsets were just launched last year, Intel likes to release a few processor lines for each new socket it introduces before discontinuing the socket and introducing another new socket design.

Socket 1156 supported the Lynnfield and Clarkdale processor lines.
Socket 1155 supported the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processor lines.
Socket 1150 supported Haswell, Haswell Refresh, Devil's Canyon (a subset of Haswell Refresh), and Broadwell processor lines.

In the same way, socket 1151 supports Skylake and should support Kaby Lake. Beyond that there's Cannonlake, Ice Lake, and Tiger Lake, but nothing concrete is known about those yet.

For home NAS duties I can't really imagine you'll need more than an i3 processor, but you do have the option of Skylake i5 and i7 processors at the very least in the extremely unlikely situation that Kaby Lake will be incompatible.

bennibop

I don't know if I'd SLI 970's, I thought they had a 3.5Gb limit on the RAM? Somebody will chime in with more info though.

I have the exact build except for a R9 290 and the Asus version of that board. How stable are your temps with the 212? That's a pretty big OC!

Temp sits at about 53 degrees.

Caayn

It's 99% guaranteed Kaby Lake will be compatible with socket 1151. Kaby Lake will also launch with new 200 series motherboards with updated support for various tech, but those will also be using socket 1151. Socket 1151 and 100 series chipsets were just launched last year, Intel likes to release a few processor lines for each new socket it introduces before discontinuing the socket and introducing another new socket design.

Socket 1156 supported the Lynnfield and Clarkdale processor lines.
Socket 1155 supported the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processor lines.
Socket 1150 supported Haswell, Haswell Refresh, Devil's Canyon (a subset of Haswell Refresh), and Broadwell processor lines.

In the same way, socket 1151 supports Skylake and should support Kaby Lake. Beyond that there's Cannonlake, Ice Lake, and Tiger Lake, but nothing concrete is known about those yet.

For home NAS duties I can't really imagine you'll need more than an i3 processor, but you do have the option of Skylake i5 and i7 processors at the very least in the extremely unlikely situation that Kaby Lake will be incompatible.
Thanks for the response.

I doubt that I'll need more power than an i3 can give me in the beginning, a Pentium or lower is a no-go for me. It wouldn't save much in terms of power draw, from what I've seen, but would give me considerably less power to work with.

At first it'll be mostly used for NAS duties and I'd like to give it extra functionality over time. (See it as a hobby platform that I can have running 24/7 for my programming hobby.) So for that I'd like the option to upgrade over time when I need to the extra power.

LT Snoshado

^ That's definitely good to hear. I just bought a bunch of new parts and was hoping that I'd have at least a little bit of future-proofing as far as socket type and new Intel CPUs go!

Volotaire

Is Cannonlake socket 1151 compatibility guaranteed (through a BIOS update perhaps), or is this something that is still in flux /rumoured/speculated/leaked?

Upgrading from 4100 black edition; at micro center

8320 is $130
8320E is $110
8350 is $160

Would I be ok with the e, or should I spring the money for the 8320 regular? I really don't wanna spend north of $150 if I dont have to. That's be a pretty noticeable upgrade for either of them, right? Why is e two tiers lower on toms hardware? I probably don't want to over clock or if I do it won't be a lot.

e90Mark

That Asus 1080p 144hz g sync monitor in the OP has some bad reviews saying its not gsync. Any other Gsync monitors with those specs that people would recommend?

The Asus vg248qe? It's "gsync compatible". It was supposed to have a module released that added it, but I think it was a really short run and pretty much impossible to get now.

If you still want 1080p G Sync, you could try finding a XL2420G.

kennah

^ That's definitely good to hear. I just bought a bunch of new parts and was hoping that I'd have at least a little bit of future-proofing as far as socket type and new Intel CPUs go!
It really doesn't matter anyway, since there is usually only a 5-10% difference in speed between the generations.
Is it worth it to go from PC-1600 to PC-3200 RAM. Or should I just get more RAM?
Pc1600 would be ddr3 and PC3200 would be ddr4. They aren't compatible.

RGM79

Upgrading from 4100 black edition; at micro center

8320 is $130
8320E is $110
8350 is $160

Would I be ok with the e, or should I spring the money for the 8320 regular? I really don't wanna spend north of $150 if I dont have to. That's be a pretty noticeable upgrade for either of them, right? Why is e two tiers lower on toms hardware? I probably don't want to over clock or if I do it won't be a lot.

Go with the FX-8320E if you'll be overclocking, otherwise FX-8320. At stock speed, the FX-8320E is slower but also runs cooler.

Is it worth it to go from PC-1600 to PC-3200 RAM. Or should I just get more RAM?

What are your system specs? I don't think you're using the right terms, PC-1600 is SDRAM (obsolete for about 13 years now) and PC-3200 is DDR1 (obsolete for 9 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom