• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Re posting from yesterday:

Thinking of finally switching to a mechanical keyboard. I like having customizable backlighting, programmable keys, and media controls on the keyboard. Since I already use a Logitech mouse and have the gaming software already installed, I was looking at getting a Logitech keyboard. The G910 caught my eye but I wanted to run it by you guys first since there are a lot of options out there.

I was also considering the Corsair K95 RGB but Ive never owned Corsair products before so Im on the fence.

Any input at all will be appreciated. There are so many options...

With the news that Pascal isn't coming until at least fall (I kind of believe the rumors) I think I have finally landed on what I want to build.

I think I will get a future proof CPU and go super cheap on a video card and replace that come Christmas, 2016 (as well as a monitor.)

So PC Gaf, I really only need something that runs 1080 at 60fps right now...that will eventually run the new video card once I upgrade. This means a great mother board, psu, cooling, etc. But I can totally cheap out on graphics.

Will it be difficult to find a cheap video card that is still compatible with the MB, CPU, and DDR4 Ram? What video cards do you you think I should be targeting? (prefer Nvidia unless there is a really good reason not to.)

Sorry meant to say DDR3 1600 to 2933. Would I see any significant boost with gaming?

Not worth it, better to set the money aside for your next GPU upgrade. Also, I would be wary that any DDR3 sticks would be fully stable at that speed, anyway...

What are the rest of your system specs?

With the news that Pascal isn't coming until at least fall (I kind of believe the rumors) I think I have finally landed on what I want to build.

I think I will get a future proof CPU and go super cheap on a video card and replace that come Christmas, 2016 (as well as a monitor.)

So PC Gaf, I really only need something that runs 1080 at 60fps right now...that will eventually run the new video card once I upgrade. This means a great mother board, psu, cooling, etc. But I can totally cheap out on graphics.

Will it be difficult to find a cheap video card that is still compatible with the MB, CPU, and DDR4 Ram? What video cards do you you think I should be targeting? (prefer Nvidia unless there is a really good reason not to.)

If you can fill out the survey in the OP then we can better help you out.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
8OlMoYX.png

and Fatal1ty Z97 Killer MB

Thinking of finally switching to a mechanical keyboard. I like having customizable backlighting, programmable keys, and media controls on the keyboard. Since I already use a Logitech mouse and have the gaming software already installed, I was looking at getting a Logitech keyboard. The G910 caught my eye but I wanted to run it by you guys first since there are a lot of options out there.

I was also considering the Corsair K95 RGB but Ive never owned Corsair products before so Im on the fence.

I would go with Corsair, got the Corsair Strafe with Cherry MX Red buttons and it is pretty decent.

I heard that Logitech mechanical keyboards have a tendency that the buttons break after some time of usage.

Here is the link for the Strafe, if you're interested:
http://www.corsair.com/de-de/landing/strafe

Hope this question isn't too lame! I was looking at the Radeon R9 280X 3GB vidya card and have read it's quite noisy and hot.

What would you all recommend for someone whose main priority is 60FPS PS2/Gamecube/Dreamcast games while also being able to play recents like Alien Isolation in 1080?

Alastor3

While that PC can definitely run Dark Souls 1..

That's expensive and overpriced for such old parts. For example, the FX-6300 is a three year old processor that struggles in certain games. Paying $45 for 8GB of 1600MHz is not the best deal as higher speed RAM like the 2133MHz kit of RAM I posted earlier above can be had for $40. For two dollars more, the Crucial BX100 250GB SSD ($72) will beat the OCZ ARC 100 easily in most tests. The GTX 770 is discontinued and paying $270 is quite simply absurd. Nothing about the parts list requires 750 watts.

Here's what I'd recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($163.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: PNY Anarchy 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.66 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($314.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.70 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $734.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-29 18:48 EDT-0400

It offers higher performance in nearly all aspects for gaming, less heat and power consumption, and costs less than your friend's build both before and after rebates.

Both 3 pin and 4 pin fans can have their speeds controlled. The difference is that 3 pin fans have their speed controlled by changing the voltage being supplied to the fan, while 4 pin fans have that extra pin/wire that sends a signal to the fan telling it how fast to spin.

AHAH this is my current build, I don't think I can do anything with this.

SDB5kpk.png

I guess I can for maximum 1000$

But will that build you showed me will be still relevant in January? That's when I will get my money for my PC.

I'm bored. $1150~ system with a 980Ti. Change the case if it's too ugly. Hard to go below 1k with a 980Ti. Doooo Eeeet. Or wait for next gen GPUs.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($85.50 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($71.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Video Card ($629.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.60 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($66.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $1158.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-29 20:35 EDT-0400

Hi guys!! Back in October, I posted my build of my computer (it's in this post above) and I really need a new computer. I didn't have the money but some of you told me to ask again about 2 weeks before I want to make a purchase.

I just want to make sure I get the best build for the price. Im willing to pay up to 1000$ to run The Witcher 3 at 60 fps. I don't know if price change a long in 4 months...

I'm kind of looking at buying a G-Sync monitor at some point in the next little bit here. Are there any standouts monitors at the moment? Looking for something that would 1440p, 144 hz and IPS.

I'm kind of looking at buying a G-Sync monitor at some point in the next little bit here. Are there any standouts monitors at the moment? Looking for something that would 1440p and 144 hz.

I assume you mean IPS too. Take a look at the Asus PG279Q, and the Acer XB271HU. The only thing to keep in mind is that quality assurance is a bit lacking on these fancy new panels, so if you buy one get it from a retailer with a good exchange/return policy.

Hi guys!! Back in October, I posted my build of my computer (it's in this post above) and I really need a new computer. I didn't have the money but some of you told me to ask again about 2 weeks before I want to make a purchase.

I just want to make sure I get the best build for the price. Im willing to pay up to 1000$ to run The Witcher 3 at 60 fps. I don't know if price change a long in 4 months...
Do you have any parts you're reusing from your system?

I assume you mean IPS too. Take a look at the Asus PG279Q, and the Acer XB271HU. The only thing to keep in mind is that quality assurance is a bit lacking on these fancy new panels, so if you buy one get it from a retailer with a good exchange/return policy.

Yes, IPS as well. And good to know about the quality problems. If I'm going to spend that much on a monitor I want something that works correctly.

If you can fill out the survey in the OP then we can better help you out.
[Basic Desktop Questions]

Your Current Specs: None, this will be a new build.
Budget: Hoping under $1000. But I don't have a budget, per say.
Main Use: Gaming, Streaming
Monitor Resolution: Currently 1080 @60fps.
Will upgrade Video Card in December 2016 to minimum 1440 up to 4K.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Blizzard games, CS:GO, Pillars, City Skylines, Dark Souls for now. Max will be 1080p, stable 30fps will suffice.
VR in December, 2016
When will you build? Now, no deadline
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, once new video card is installed, December 2016.

Again, I'm looking to get all of the pieces of a VR/future proof machine together minus the video card. As long as the card can play most games decently, its fine. This card will be replaced in a few months so I want to invest in it the very minimum possible really. Come December, I'll get whatever Pascal card is available that meets what I want.

Was looking at something like this.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($255.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($153.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.79 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 4GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1082.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 13:32 EST-0500

Firestorm

Not bad at all. I recommend you get 2666MHz or higher speed RAM, though.

That power supply is somewhat old and there are better choices. Compared to the EVGA G1 650 watt unit, the EVGA B2 750 watt model is available for $5 cheaper and offers higher wattage, while the EVGA GQ 650 watt model is only $1.50 more and is a newer design. Both are considered to be manufactured to a better standard than the old G1 model. You can see review comparisons here by the Jonny Guru website, which is well-trusted for power supply reviews.

EVGA G1 650 watt: 8.5/10
EVGA B2 750 watt: 9/10
EVGA GQ 650 watt: 9.4/10
Thanks! Will make the RAM switch and look into the better PSUs. I don't like to take a chance on that as it's what failed in my own computer (went with an OCZ one instead of someone better known for their PSUs x.x).

bomblord1

Banned

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Blizzard games, CS:GO, Pillars, City Skylines, Dark Souls for now. Max will be 1080p, stable 30fps will suffice.
VR in December, 2016
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, once new video card is installed, December 2016.

Again, I'm looking to get all of the pieces of a VR/future proof machine together minus the video card. As long as the card can play most games decently, its fine. This card will be replaced in a few months so I want to invest in it the very minimum possible really. Come December, I'll get whatever Pascal card is available that meets what I want.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)

I'm staring at this and trying to figure out why you are at over $1000 with a 750ti and an i5-6600k. Let me see if I can find something comparable for less.

RGM79

That's fairly easy. Graphics card connectors haven't changed in the last 10 years and probably won't change for another 5~10 years. There's no worries about compatibility either, any PCI-E graphics card will work in any slot so long as it physically fits.

If you prefer Nvidia, The GTX 970 will meet your needs if you're aiming for high-ish settings, otherwise the GTX 960 or even 950 will do if you don't mind playing on lower graphics settings just until Pascal launches.

Here's what I recommend. Do you require Windows?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($115.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $945.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 14:39 EST-0500

VR in December, 2016

You have some overpriced and overkill components in your parts list. See my above build for much better performance for under $1000.

Burkatron81

Hi all, so my friend has just told me he is buying the below system. He has a budget of £600 and will be using it mostly for gaming and general web use, however i have a feeling he may be making a rash decision going the APU route? Could anyone advise if there will be much bang for the buck with this setup, and if not maybe even offer alternatives? He’s based in the UK.

Chassis: Sharkoon VG4-W Gaming Series (Green)
CPU: AMD A10-7870k Quad Core APU 3.9ghz & Radeon R7 Series Graphics
Motherboard: ASUS A88XM-PLUS
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Dual DDR3 1600mhz (2x8gb)
GPU: See CPU
SSD: 240GB Kingston V300 SSD
HDD: Already has one
PSU: Corsair 350W VS-350 PSU
Cooling: Corsair H55 Hydro Series
Optical: Standard 24/8x CD/DVD

Thanks in advance.

bomblord1

Banned

VR in December, 2016

My 2 cents

Motherboard: *MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Adorama)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $787.52
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 14:55 EST-0500
Thoughts. Going with a 750ti as a temporary card is a waste of money if you intend to buy a more powerful card by the end of the year just stick with the integrated GPU on your processor which should hold you out on low settings at 720p for a few months while you then have an additional $120 to save towards a better GPU. If you absolutely insist on a dedicated GPU then I would go a lot cheaper than a 750ti like an r7 360 it actually performs nearly identical to it and is $20 less ($40 after rebate). The 750ti is an aging card at this point.

My 2 cents

Thoughts. Going with a 750ti as a temporary card is a waste of money if you intend to buy a more powerful card by the end of the year just stick with the integrated GPU on your processor which should hold you out on low settings at 720p for a few months while you then have an additional $120 to save towards a better GPU. If you absolutely insist on a dedicated GPU then I would go a lot cheaper than a 750ti like an r7 360 it actually performs nearly identical to it and is $20 less ($40 after rebate). The 750ti is an aging card at this point.

Thanks for the input. The case you included doesn't have a bay for the 2.5 SSD. Does that not matter?

luffeN

Does it make a difference using a GTX 970 with one 1080p 144hz vs 1 1080p 144hz and a 2560x1440 144hz performance / power wise? If I game on the 1440 monitor and have the 1080p running as a second monitor, how moch performance does it take away from the GTX? Should I be worried? I have it coupled with an i5-2500K @ 4.2Ghz.

Edit: If this is too complicated: Do I lose frames playing at 2560x1440 with a second monitor active?

Edit 2: Thanks LilJoka

LilJoka

Does it make a difference using a GTX 970 with one 1080p 144hz vs 1 1080p 144hz and a 2560x1440 144hz performance / power wise? If I game on the 1440 monitor and have the 1080p running as a second monitor, how moch performance does it take away from the GTX? Should I be worried? I have it coupled with an i5-2500K @ 4.2Ghz.

Edit: If this is too complicated: Do I lose frames playing at 2560x1440 with a second monitor active?

If you are just gaming on the single monitor with the other displaying the desktop, you arent going to lose much if anything.

What parts are you going to order? VRAM amount is usually listed in the name of the graphics card or the graphics card's model number.

Not bad at all. I recommend you get 2666MHz or higher speed RAM, though.

That power supply is somewhat old and there are better choices. Compared to the EVGA G1 650 watt unit, the EVGA B2 750 watt model is available for $5 cheaper and offers higher wattage, while the EVGA GQ 650 watt model is only $1.50 more and is a newer design. Both are considered to be manufactured to a better standard than the old G1 model. You can see review comparisons here by the Jonny Guru website, which is well-trusted for power supply reviews.

EVGA G1 650 watt: 8.5/10
EVGA B2 750 watt: 9/10
EVGA GQ 650 watt: 9.4/10

It's 99% guaranteed Kaby Lake will be compatible with socket 1151. Kaby Lake will also launch with new 200 series motherboards with updated support for various tech, but those will also be using socket 1151. Socket 1151 and 100 series chipsets were just launched last year, Intel likes to release a few processor lines for each new socket it introduces before discontinuing the socket and introducing another new socket design.

Socket 1156 supported the Lynnfield and Clarkdale processor lines.
Socket 1155 supported the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processor lines.
Socket 1150 supported Haswell, Haswell Refresh, Devil's Canyon (a subset of Haswell Refresh), and Broadwell processor lines.

In the same way, socket 1151 supports Skylake and should support Kaby Lake. Beyond that there's Cannonlake, Ice Lake, and Tiger Lake, but nothing concrete is known about those yet.

For home NAS duties I can't really imagine you'll need more than an i3 processor, but you do have the option of Skylake i5 and i7 processors at the very least in the extremely unlikely situation that Kaby Lake will be incompatible.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rqNHXL the pc im currently building, i have no idea how to find out the vram

Alastor3

Do you have any parts you're reusing from your system?

Except for the screen, keyboard and mouse, I don't plan to keep anything from my old setup.

Here's what I recommend. Do you require Windows?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($115.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $945.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 14:39 EST-0500

Shouldn't I go with an SSD instead of an Internal Hard Drive ?

Where can I buy a Windows 8 key? Not 8.1, I built a rig for my friend, and we have my win 8 install disc but no key. He's gonna upgrade to 10 anyways.

RGM79

Where can I buy a Windows 8 key? Not 8.1, I built a rig for my friend, and we have my win 8 install disc but no key. He's gonna upgrade to 10 anyways.

As long as you have another computer with an internet connection then you can get the installers for any recent Windows OS free of charge, you don't have to get a Windows 8 key just because you have a Windows 8 install disc.

See here for how much retail copies cost, but Windows 8 is a little more expensive than a new copy of Windows 10 so the higher price and extra hassle of upgrading isn't worth it. If you just want a key then there are cheap Windows keys available from reddit as well, here's my usual disclaimer on that:

Cheap Windows licenses can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for cheap, around $15 USD or less. Windows 10 licenses are also available for a bit more. These are most likely legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or MSDNAA/Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are not approved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may refuse to give you support and/or deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it. That's not very likely, usually it only happens if the seller and their list of sold keys was caught. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months. The 7/8/8.1 keys should be upgradeable to Windows 10, but confirm with the seller to be sure, of course.​

Except for the screen, keyboard and mouse, I don't plan to keep anything from my old setup.

Shouldn't I go with an SSD instead of an Internal Hard Drive ?

If you want an SSD, change the 16GB of RAM for 8GB so a 250GB SSD can fit into the parts list.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.34 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $993.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 18:01 EST-0500

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rqNHXL the pc im currently building, i have no idea how to find out the vram

That graphics card is a GTX 970, those always have 4GB of VRAM and it says so in the name: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card

I don't recommend you get that graphics card, though. It's very loud and noisy. The EVGA GTX 970 SSC ($310) is cheaper, runs quieter, and is slightly faster (1.19GHz VS 1.09GHz).

As long as you have another computer with an internet connection then you can get the installers for any recent Windows OS free of charge, you don't have to get a Windows 8 key just because you have a Windows 8 install disc.

See here for how much retail copies cost, but Windows 8 is a little more expensive than a new copy of Windows 10 so the higher price and extra hassle of upgrading isn't worth it. If you just want a key then there are cheap Windows keys available from reddit as well, here's my usual disclaimer on that:

Cheap Windows licenses can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for cheap, around $15 USD or less. Windows 10 licenses are also available for a bit more. These are most likely legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or MSDNAA/Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are not approved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may refuse to give you support and/or deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it. That's not very likely, usually it only happens if the seller and their list of sold keys was caught. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months. The 7/8/8.1 keys should be upgradeable to Windows 10, but confirm with the seller to be sure, of course.​

If you want an SSD, change the 16GB of RAM for 8GB so a 250GB SSD can fit into the parts list.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)

That graphics card is a GTX 970, those always have 4GB of VRAM and it says so in the name: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card

I don't recommend you get that graphics card, though. It's very loud and noisy. The EVGA GTX 970 SSC ($310) is cheaper, runs quieter, and is slightly faster (1.19GHz VS 1.09GHz).

Ah ok thanks, wasn't really sure.

RayStorm

Would I be ok with the e, or should I spring the money for the 8320 regular? I really don't wanna spend north of $150 if I dont have to. That's be a pretty noticeable upgrade for either of them, right? Why is e two tiers lower on toms hardware? I probably don't want to over clock or if I do it won't be a lot.

Assuming you would not be using the cooler that comes with the CPU there is literally no reason not to buy the 8320E. You can easily overclock it and raise the voltag to levels that would be at least as efficent as the 8320. It actually is a really great overclocking CPU. I've got mine running at 4.4 Ghz with a VCore of 1.35 (if memory serves correctly).

sfried

Seeing how AMD's Nano had a price drop, I was thinking about trying to aquire some/most of the more expensive parts right now.

PC Partpicker list:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Toshiba 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card
  • Case: SilverSton​e RVZ02B M​ini ITX De​sktop Case
  • Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
  • Optical Drive: Panasonic ​UJ-267 9.5​mm Interna​l SATA Slo​t Load Blu​-Ray Write​r
Current predicted total wattage: 360~w

No Overclocking!
Must stay within 500w capacity if possible. 600w max.

I've been thinking on either going ahead and securing some of the cheaper parts like the Zalman fan (since I've heard good things about it) or the SilverStone case (since it seems to be getting harder to aquire). I'm not sure exactly which parts usually tend to drop significantly in price, but I do want to get the best deals.

Alastor3

Is there are better time in a week or in a month to buy a processor or a graphic card? can it be super cheap sometimes for a limited time ?

Alastor3

Im incredibly anxious to buy separate parts... also I should have said that I live in Canada -_- I just looked at the different price of the GeForce GTX 970, it's 309$ US for 479$ Canadian WHAT THE FUCK.... it's half of what I was thinking of paying....

I've had a g910 for about six months and love it, no problems at all. Pretty sturdy for me and I tend to go through a keyboard every 2-3 years. I honestly don't see much of a difference from my previous logitech keyboard, a non mechanical, so I don't know how it fares on the range of mechanical keyboards and I don't really type as much as I used to either. It is nice that I only need 1 piece of software for it and my G2 logitech mouse.

It goes on sale pretty frequently too, I got mine at best buy for like $70 I think last year sometime. You can set a lot of features in software, like I have mine set to uniform blue and also to highlight a key when I press it. I never really use any of the macro keys.

LongARMz

Neo Member
Been gaming on consoles for ages now but after reading about 144hz/Gsync gaming the past couple of weeks I’ve decided to go all in. GAF I need your help building a monster rig!
Your Current Specs: None
Budget: $2500
Main Use: Gaming 5. Emulation 3.
Monitor Resolution: Definitely need a monitor since I have none. Thinking 1440p 144 hz plus G-Sync.
Hoping to build a rig that can run anything currently out at max setting at 1440p. Parts I’ve been considering are Geforce GTX 980ti, i7 processor at 4.0 ghz. Hoping to build early February and I have no desire to overclock
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Darknight

Ok guys need some case advice!

Between these 2: Corsair Air 540 vs Corsair Vengeance C70 Military case...

Which one is the best for an e-ATX build? I currently have a Razer H440 but it can only house an ATX board. I got it with some other parts so its not gonna help me as Im looking to buy an MSI board like x99s Gaming 9 ACK or Godlike...maybe. But I must think ahead just to be safe. Like I may not get those but if I do eventually...

Smokey

Ok guys need some case advice!

Between these 2: Corsair Air 540 vs Corsair Vengeance C70 Military case...

Which one is the best for an e-ATX build? I currently have a Razer H440 but it can only house an ATX board. I got it with some other parts so its not gonna help me as Im looking to buy an MSI board like x99s Gaming 9 ACK or Godlike...maybe. But I must think ahead just to be safe. Like I may not get those but if I do eventually...

Air 540

I have it and it is the best case I've had. It can fit anything. I'm running a EATX board (Rampage IV Black Edition)I ran a triple SLI config in the past, and had room to spare. I'm also able to run a push/pull config on a H100i:

14451944801_8e93b4ae86_c.jpg

All of the cables are in the separate compartment and out of view

14454183774_d9aaa67f98_c.jpg

You can put the H100i in the front of the case if you like. Or you can have 3x 120mm fans like I do up front. Or 2 140mm fans. It's up to you. Case is versatile as hell. Love it.

Here's knitoe's clean 540 build:

Man, y'all infecting me with that mATX bug... I'm super interested in moving to a mATX or mini-ITX case, but I'd like to take my 2500k along for the ride. Problem is, z68m and z77m boards are hard to find outside of ebay.

Would it be a better idea to start from scratch (minus my 390)?

Alastor3

So since the Canadian dollar is so low, buying a GeForce GTX 970 is the price of a PS4 here, so I might consider this for the time being.... because I am super hyped about The Witness but im pretty sure my computer can't run it. The only sad thing is I already bought all these games in discount for when I will have a decent PC... PS4 will only be for exclusive... arrrrhhh decision... why is the GeForce GTX 970 cost 450$ here!!!!

e90Mark

Man, y'all infecting me with that mATX bug... I'm super interested in moving to a mATX or mini-ITX case, but I'd like to take my 2500k along for the ride. Problem is, z68m and z77m boards are hard to find outside of ebay.

Would it be a better idea to start from scratch (minus my 390)?

Not necessarily, but it would give you a good reason to build a new computer, lol.

Here's my build in an Air 240:

Darknight

Air 540

I have it and it is the best case I've had. It can fit anything. I'm running a EATX board (Rampage IV Black Edition)I ran a triple SLI config in the past, and had room to spare. I'm also able to run a push/pull config on a H100i:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3838/14451944801_8e93b4ae86_c.jpg[/img

[img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3849/14454183774_d9aaa67f98_c.jpg[/img

You can put the H100i in the front of the case if you like. Or you can have 3x 120mm fans like I do up front. Or 2 140mm fans. It's up to you. Case is versatile as hell. Love it.

Here's knitoe's clean 540 build:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Smokey.

I think you are right. Its spacious enough for expansion. Maybe for a small water cooling solution. Im thinking of getting an H110i GT as well.

Sad to sell the Razer H440 case since it looks cool. Its used but its the best one I've had. Gonna have to dump it on ebay/CL as well as a Cooler Master HAF Evo Lan case.

OraleeWey

Air 540

14451944801_8e93b4ae86_c.jpg

14454183774_d9aaa67f98_c.jpg

Here's knitoe's clean 540 build:
How often do you have to clean for dust ? Also, you have the GTX 980? What's your motherboard ?

Smokey

How often do you have to clean for dust ? Also, you have the GTX 980? What's your motherboard ?

Mobo - Rampage IV Black Edition

GPU - Titan X (in the picture is Titan Black Tri-SLI setup)

I haven't cleaned for dust, but I will this weekend. My H100i radiator is pretty filthy, as was the magnetic filter for the front intake fans. Other than that, it's clean inside.

OraleeWey

Mobo - Rampage IV Black Edition

GPU - Titan X (in the picture is Titan Black Tri-SLI setup)

I haven't cleaned for dust, but I will this weekend. My H100i radiator is pretty filthy, as was the magnetic filter for the front intake fans. Other than that, it's clean inside.
I see. That's an older pic then? Right now you've got a single Titan X ?

Can someone pass judgement on this before I pull the trigger at NCIX?

GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 OC 1253 MHz 4GB 7.0GHZ

CPU: INTEL® CORE™ I7-6700K

CASE: Fractal R5

SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB

STORAGE: Blue 1tb

COOLING: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H105

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Z170

POWER SUPPLY: Coolermaster V750

MEMORY: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB 2X8GB 2133MHZ DDR4

MONITOR: Rog Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.