• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomblord1

Banned
$400 doesn't cover the cost of the OS, but I have an extra copy of 10 lying around. Ended up spending roughly $500, going with an i3 6100, upgrading from 8gb ddr3 to 8gb ddr4, and an ITX MSI Skylake motherboard.

I've only built Intel builds (for nyself, I've built AMD builds for friends) in the past, figured I'd stick with that route even if it's a bit more pricey.

Ah, you already bought the parts. I had a build I threw togethor on pc part picker I was about to link lol.

What?! Just bend the holder and pull the drive out. You probably put the drive in the holder the wrong way around that's all. The only thing that could break is the holder...

The Corsair 100R's tray/tray holder design does have holders, but because the drive is too far forward, you can't bend them. So you can't push the holders inward to loosen the tray with the drive in it to pull it out of the tray holder. It's complicated... trust me, if it was that simple, I would have fixed it already.

kennah

Yeah it just doesn't sound like that's the case. A company would go out of business pretty fast if that were their policy.

Sykotik

I'm in a position now where I can buy a 980ti. I currently have a 7970.

Is the MSI Gaming 6 still the way to go, or is there a better choice, now?

Or do I wait for that new tech?

Gaaahhh, I don't know.

I'm in a position now where I can buy a 980ti. I currently have a 7970.

Is the MSI Gaming 6 still the way to go, or is there a better choice, now?

Or do I wait for that new tech?

Gaaahhh, I don't know.

If you're going to sell the 980 ti after you get a new card, you can buy now.

If not, you better wait.

Bluforce

That is fair, just wondering then why overclock RAM, but not CPU? Ram has little to no effect, CPU has massive effects.

Simply because I don't do anything.
I just buy the RAM @3000 or more Mhz instead of 2133, and stop.

Overclocking CPUs require skills that I'm not sure I have.

LilJoka

Simply because I don't do anything.
I just buy the RAM @3000 or more Mhz instead of 2133, and stop.

Overclocking CPUs require skills that I'm not sure I have.

Hm OK, well i hope you know that a 3000Mhz XMP profile isnt guaranteed to work, and then you will be tweaking the RAM to get whatever speed the CPU will support. Otherwise itll all be a waste of money...

Really there is not much to it.
For CPU:
Adjust CPU Vcore (CPU Voltage) and CPU Multiplier (defines speed).

For RAM:
Adjust the Ram Speed, VCCSA (System agent voltage) and the RAM voltage. XMP profile actually sets this all for you, using a hammer and nail approach, i.e. just boosting these voltages to "i hope this works" values. Most boards have the exact same feature for CPUs.... Asus calls it Asus Auto Tune i think.

Not exactly rocket science, if you can build a PC, you can read a guide on the above.

e90Mark

I promise you it is. I've been doing it for years. I upgrade gpus every year. And all I have to pay is the price of another warrenty.

I've never bought into that, because from what I understand they have to assess if the equipment is faulty first.

Seems like a risky thing to game a system for marginal upgrades at best, but if it's working for you, great.

Bluforce

Otherwise itll all be a waste of money...
And this must not happen :D
Ok. Thank you for the advices.

So let me know, if you should build a Skylake PC (no overclock) ready for a good GPU later this year, which parts would you choose? Which chipset for the mobo? Which RAM speed?

I've never bought into that, because from what I understand they have to assess if the equipment is faulty first.

Seems like a risky thing to game a system for marginal upgrades at best, but if it's working for you, great.
They don't even ask if anythings wrong with it

LilJoka

And this must not happen :D
Ok. Thank you for the advices.

So let me know, if you should build a Skylake PC (no overclock) ready for a good GPU later this year, which parts would you choose? Which chipset for the mobo? Which RAM speed?

I would just get a 6600k, Z170 board, and 2400/2666Mhz RAM. That RAM speed would be gauranteed to work as its only a little above 2133Mhz.

But depending on budget, i would do some reading into RAM and CPU OC, then decide if its worth spending a bit more for 3000Mhz, knowing that it might take a bit of tweaking and you have some knowledge on how to do it. Same goes for the CPU/Board.

If you reading leads too much confusion, just go for the 6600 on Z170 and 2666Mhz RAM.

ZServ

i5 4690k w/ CM Hyper 212 EVO
Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB DDR3
PNY SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W

This build will cost me ~$500-$540. Any glaring compatibility problems? None that I could see, but I've only built one other rig, so just double-triple-checking :).

LilJoka

i5 4690k w/ CM Hyper 212 EVO
Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB DDR3
PNY SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W

This build will cost me ~$500-$540. Any glaring compatibility problems? None that I could see, but I've only built one other rig, so just double-triple-checking :).

May want to get a Z series board with a K Spec CPU for overclocking, otherwise get the H series board and the non-K CPU.

How much is the PSU costing?
What GPU you plan to run?

ZServ

May want to get a Z series board with a K Spec CPU for overclocking, otherwise get the H series board and the non-K CPU.

How much is the PSU costing?
What GPU you plan to run?

Power supply is ~70 for a 650w modular setup.

I can do an Asus Z87 Pro. I'd do the recommended Extreme3 mobo, but a friend has one in his build and has a weird issue where the mobo wont take power without draining everything first, after the first shutdown.

GPU will likely be my current 570 until I have the funds for an upgrade, then probably a 770 or 960.

luoapp

A bit off-topic, but do you guys think it's a good idea to put a backup battery inside the P/S, i.e., make it UPS? Just had this thought in the shower.

My PC is built. Everything is working. I have to have my PC right next to my monitor on my desk because I have carpeted floors and that would be bad for the fans which means I do hear the sound of the computer's internals working, but that's my only complaint and it doesn't bother me much, especially in the midst of a game with the sound cranked up.

Thank you for the help everyone, it's good to finally have a capable PC again.

LilJoka

My PC is built. Everything is working. I have to have my PC right next to my monitor on my desk because I have carpeted floors and that would be bad for the fans which means I do hear the sound of the computer's internals working, but that's my only complaint and it doesn't bother me much, especially in the midst of a game with the sound cranked up.

Thank you for the help everyone, it's good to finally have a capable PC again.

Its fine to have the PC on the carpet as long as you havent got a fan as intake at the bottom of the case. If you have a PSU fan at the bottom of the case, you can flip the PSU over.

Dewoh

Neo Member
I've got a question about PSU needs. My old 1000w apparently died.

What would I need for x2 980 TI (sli), 16 gb ram, i5-6600k?

I'm pissed it died.

EDIT: I did a quick calculator online, ant it suggested at least 720. So would an 850w be just fine?

How much future proofing does the 850 give me? Would it be ok if I added an Occulus down the line, for example?

Xero

Ok let me change my question what are recommendations for parts for an around 800 gaming pc that will need windows as well.
Looking to try and max witcher 3 out which i figure would keep me going for awhile. The price of windows on top of a lot of builds is what has me looking at the prebuilt sites, ive done a nootleg copy of 7 on my current computer and really just dont want to try and mess with that again, so i want a legit copy of Windows. Would being a decent prebuilt and adding a gpu be more cost effective in my case?

Theonik

I've got a question about PSU needs. My old 1000w apparently died.

What would I need for x2 980 TI (sli), 16 gb ram, i5-6600k?

I'm pissed it died.

EDIT: I did a quick calculator online, ant it suggested at least 720. So would an 850w be just fine?

How much future proofing does the 850 give me? Would it be ok if I added an Occulus down the line, for example?
Depending on your desire to OC, the 850 will last you a fair bit since components are generally not getting more power hungry. I'd put my money on a higher quality PSU than a more powerful one though for OC you might consider a 1000w PSU as well but is probably not necessary.

I want to buy a sound card and I've heard good things about Asus xonar cards. I've also heard that they have a lot of driver issues, especially compatibility issues with older games.

Wondering if this really is a major problem with these cards. If so should I just go with a sound blaster? I'm looking for a sub $100 card

RGM79

I want to buy a sound card and I've heard good things about Asus xonar cards. I've also heard that they have a lot of driver issues, especially compatibility issues with older games.

Wondering if this really is a major problem with these cards. If so should I just go with a sound blaster? I'm looking for a sub $100 card

Is there a reason you need a sound card? Driving a set of high end headphones?

A bit off-topic, but do you guys think it's a good idea to put a backup battery inside the P/S, i.e., make it UPS? Just had this thought in the shower.

Power supplies aren't meant to be opened and modified. You are far better off just buying a separate UPS. A PSU wouldn't be large enough to fit any decent sized battery anyway. Even entry level models are fairly large and are already the size of a medium-large power supply unit itself.

Is this a good PSU for around 300w (i5 6600k, GTX970) ? "630 Watt be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM Modular 80+ Bronze"

Seems fairly decent, not a bad choice at all.

Dewoh

Neo Member
Depending on your desire to OC, the 850 will last you a fair bit since components are generally not getting more power hungry. I'd put my money on a higher quality PSU than a more powerful one though for OC you might consider a 1000w PSU as well but is probably not necessary.

What high quality PSU would you recommend?

Any good 1000w psus?

I recently upgraded to a GTX 980 Ti and replaced the PSU with a 850 EVGA Supernova, unfortunentely the new PSU doesn't have a power input for the blu-ray optical drive. I'm trying to figure out what the old input was, my best guess is a 6 pin slimline SATA cord. Hopefully someone can help me confirm.

IMG_0832.jpg

Comparison to 13 pin.

Maddanth

Hi, new PC user here. Is Msi afterburner a good program to use to monitor GPU usage? Is it user friendly for guys that r new to PC gaming? I don't want to over clock anything I just want to c my gpu utilization. Should I download this? No issues to worry about or is there another program that's better or easier to use etc??? Thanks in advance, and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Darknight

Regarding Gentle Typhoon fans....are these legit GT fans???

http://www.coolerguys.com/sgt120.html

Everyone always saying these are hard to find? I think they mean the originals but if they're the same what's the issue?

I've been looking for some good rad fans. First I got some Corsair SP120s but then read about EK Vadars F2-120/F3-120 and Gentle Typhoons....anyone have a favorite out of these?

Ellite25

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W BX80623I52500K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 ST2000DL004 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

1 x CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance

Plus my 770 2gb. Have a Cooler Master case, not entirely sure which model.

I'm willing to spend about $500. Do you have a good guide for OCing?

Edit: My case - Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 Ports and X-Dock (RC-692A-KKN5)

Also, I added a Samsung 120 gb SSD as well.
Any suggestions for what I should upgrade first to get the best boost in performance?

Crisium

Any suggestions for what I should upgrade first to get the best boost in performance?

For gaming? Upgrading the video card. It'd be nice to overclock your CPU to 4GHz+, and a handful of games now truly benefit from more than 8GB of RAM, but your GPU is really the main thing. If your budget is $500 I would get a 390:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=311&sort=a8&page=1

And use the ~$200 left over to get another 8GB of RAM and a quality CPU cooler to overclock your CPU (assuming you have stock now). You'd likely still have some change leftover actually.

So i just finished my first pc and everything is on but its not showing anything on my tv, i cant figure out whats wrong with it.

Like the gentleman said double check hdmi cable etc...if those are correct and still no picture you may need to check you videocard... if its newer it probably needs two cords to power it from your powersupply.

Ellite25

For gaming? Upgrading the video card. It'd be nice to overclock your CPU to 4GHz+, and a handful of games now truly benefit from more than 8GB of RAM, but your GPU is really the main thing. If your budget is $500 I would get a 390:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=311&sort=a8&page=1

And use the ~$200 left over to get another 8GB of RAM and a quality CPU cooler to overclock your CPU (assuming you have stock now). You'd likely still have some change leftover actually.
So with the overclock I should definitely get a cpu cooler? It's funny, I remember when I built my PC everyone was saying how there was no reason to get over 8 gb of ram lol

Crisium

So with the overclock I should definitely get a cpu cooler? It's funny, I remember when I built my PC everyone was saying how there was no reason to get over 8 gb of ram lol

It's worth getting a better cooler than stock. You don't even have to break the bank as the Hyper 212 Evo isn't expensive. It should be quieter, keep your CPU cooler, and let you get a more speed than stock.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

As for RAM there are still many users playing the latest games on high settings with 8GB. But I think the time table where that is viable is gradually getting pushed to the end. The new Tomb Raider is playable on 8GB, for example, but many it's really using that full memory. Might as well get another 8GB while it is still cheap - with DDR4 now the standard it won't be around forever.

RGM79

Depending on your own usage and needs, you might still don't need more than 8GB of RAM.

So i just finished my first pc and everything is on but its not showing anything on my tv, i cant figure out whats wrong with it.

Specs? How did you connect the PC to the TV? Did you plug the video cable into the motherboard or the graphics card?

Hi, new PC user here. Is Msi afterburner a good program to use to monitor GPU usage? Is it user friendly for guys that r new to PC gaming? I don't want to over clock anything I just want to c my gpu utilization. Should I download this? No issues to worry about or is there another program that's better or easier to use etc??? Thanks in advance, and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

MSI Afterburner is a nice program which can do that by default as a graph attached to the MSI Afterburner program window's right side, and it can also show you GPU usage as an overlay in the corner of your display while gaming but that requires some setup. Here's a guide to MSI Afterburner in general and here's a guide for setting up the in-game overlay if you want that.

If you don't care about the overlay, then you don't need to set up anything to see the graph.

I recently upgraded to a GTX 980 Ti and replaced the PSU with a 850 EVGA Supernova, unfortunentely the new PSU doesn't have a power input for the blu-ray optical drive. I'm trying to figure out what the old input was, my best guess is a 6 pin slimline SATA cord. Hopefully someone can help me confirm.

Comparison to 13 pin.

Sure looks like it to me. What are your PC's specs? Most power supplies won't come with a connector for slimline SATA, so you'll need an adaptor for it like this SATA to slim SATA cable or a Y shaped cable that handles both power and data.

Hey all, I'm considering upgrading at some point this year. Mostly a new build while utilizing some older parts like my case and power supply if I can.

Here is what I'm currently rocking (format might look weird, copy/paste from an old order form):

XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition CPU Cooler

EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

CM Storm Sniper - Gaming Mid Tower

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3

EVGA GeForce GTX 285 01G-P3-1180-AR 1GB 512-Bit

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield Quad-Core 2.66 GHz LGA 1366

Western Digital Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

----

So I was thinking, if I could, keep my 1) case 2) hard drive 3) disc drive 4) power supply

Then I would only need a new cpu, gpu, motherboard, ssd and memory. Under 800 USD.

I've been out of the PC hardware scene since I built my current PC in 2009, so I have no idea whether I should go Intel, AMD or nvidia for my parts. Also have no experience with SSDs or running a HDD and SSD together.

I am content with my current PC for the moment so I can wait for new tech to release if new processors or graphic cards are releasing later this year.

I have no intention to overclock or go crazy with water cooling or dual gpus or anything like that. Just want a good solid rig that will last me years like my current rig has lasted me almost 7 years. Though I haven't been able to max a AAA title for awhile. Even Fallout 4 can't run since my gpu only has 1gb of vram.

I want something that can max most games for the next couple of years at 1080p 60fps, then I can start moving down to high settings and other compromises.

EDIT:

So I've been going over some builds. Currently looking at an i7 4790k setup with a gtx 970 and 16gb of memory. Looks like DDR4 ram is a thing now, though the 4790k is only compatible with motherboards supporting DDR3. What do you guys think?

EDIT 2: Here's my (amateur, been out of the PC scene too long) build so far. $140 more than I want to spend though.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($131.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($313.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $945.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-06 05:54 EST-0500

EDIT 3: i5 6600k build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($127.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($313.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $881.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-06 10:19 EST-0500

Would an i7 4790k or i5 6600k be better for gaming?

^ Anybody have input on this?

I also have a newer build here:

Picked a 390 for this build, as it seems I would benefit from the extra vram considering I plan to run texture mods with some of my games. Even modded Skyrim hits that 4gb wall of the gtx970 pretty quickly according to some.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($256.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card ($308.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $884.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 01:32 EST-0500

Should I be getting 3200 memory and should I just get 2x8gb sticks or 4x4gb sticks? I don't plan to overclock anything past the stock OC the gpu comes with. Unless a few years from now my cpu starts to under perform.

XBP

A quick question. I currently have 16GB of crucial ballistix sport ddr4 memory in my PC. There is this crazy sale where cucial ballistix elite memory is being sold for dirt cheap. If I get 2x4GB of those, would that cause any problems in my system?

kuYuri

^ Anybody have input on this?

I also have a newer build here:

Picked a 390 for this build, as it seems I would benefit from the extra vram considering I plan to run texture mods with some of my games. Even modded Skyrim hits that 4gb wall of the gtx970 pretty quickly according to some.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($256.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.55 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card ($308.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $884.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 01:32 EST-0500

Should I be getting 3200 memory and should I just get 2x8gb sticks or 4x4gb sticks? I don't plan to overclock anything past the stock OC the gpu comes with. Unless a few years from now my cpu starts to under perform.

The i5 build is totally solid. The difference in price between the RAM is only about $5 between speeds, so just stick with whatever is comfortable for you to pay. I believe diminishing returns in price to performance start to appear around the 2666mhz to 3200mhz speeds, but I could be wrong. Either way, the one you have on the list is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom