• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

A quick question. I currently have 16GB of crucial ballistix sport ddr4 memory in my PC. There is this crazy sale where cucial ballistix elite memory is being sold for dirt cheap. If I get 2x4GB of those, would that cause any problems in my system?

You mean you want to add another 8GB to your PC? There shouldn't be any problems, but do you need 24GB of RAM? What do you do with your PC?

So i figured out what was wrong and now the problem is that my tv doesnt work with it, but im gonna excange it with the tv downstairs which works with it. Now i've basically finished my very first PC build and now my hands are covered in cuts
giphy.gif

The i5 build is totally solid. The difference in price between the RAM is only about $5 between speeds, so just stick with whatever is comfortable for you to pay. I believe diminishing returns in price to performance start to appear around the 2666mhz to 3200mhz speeds, but I could be wrong. Either way, the one you have on the list is fine.

Thank you for your input.

I'll either go with this build then, or upgrade just my gpu as a conservative route to last me another few years.

Speaking of which, how would my i7 920 perform with modern games if I were to just upgrade my gtx285 to a gtx960 4gb or r9 380?

If my 920 can handle stuff like Fallout 4 really well, I may just upgrade my gpu and possibly my memory since 6gb is getting pretty low by todays standards.

XBP

You mean you want to add another 8GB to your PC? There shouldn't be any problems, but do you need 24GB of RAM? What do you do with your PC?

I mean its dirt cheap ddr4 ram, which is usually extremely expensive. Why not, lol.

Bluforce

If you reading leads too much confusion, just go for the 6600 on Z170 and 2666Mhz RAM.
So my the same parts, except for the RAM.
But 16 GB at 3000 and 2666 Mhz have the exact same price. I could get the 3000 and use it at lower frequency if 3000 doensn't work.

LilJoka

So my the same parts, except for the RAM.
But 16 GB at 3000 and 2666 Mhz have the exact same price. I could get the 3000 and use it at lower frequency if 3000 doensn't work.

You can definitely do that, but I was just trying to point out that by doing so you are messing with all the exact settings when overclocking ram and then you'll also be testing primary ram timings as you won't want to be running timings designed for 3000mhz at 2666mhz as you'll be getting 2133mhz performance that way.

darthbob

Bumped my i5-6500 to 4GHz tonight, got a pretty decent performance boost in GTA V too.

55ICCGc.png

For the $165 that I paid, this is one hell of a chip.

Bluforce

You can definitely do that, but I was just trying to point out that by doing so you are messing with all the exact settings when overclocking ram and then you'll also be testing primary ram timings as you won't want to be running timings designed for 3000mhz at 2666mhz as you'll be getting 2133mhz performance that way.

Ok. Thank you so much.

I have to do some research now :D

Dewoh

Neo Member
Finally got my PC up and running! Hooked it up to my TV, since I plan on using it as a very expensive - and awesome - console. Those 980 tv in sli run like dreams. And man, once you set a game up and see what it looks like in 4k, you never want to go back to 1080p. It's a huge, huge difference. Huge difference in frame rate too lol! Rise of the Tome Raider looks godly in 4k. Shame that (obviously) kills the performance.

Oddly, I'm still not able to get a locked 60 with The Witcher 2 in 1080p, with Ubersampling on. You'd think that so many years later, and with these two beasts, I'd be able to crush that game by now.

Amazingly happy with my PC case - the Fractal R5. Very clean design. Highly recommended.

LilJoka

Didn't touch voltage at all since I'm using the stock Intel cooler. No blue screens or signs of instability after an hour of Aida64 stress testing, so I think it's stable. :p

You should, since that voltage is probably enough for 4.4Ghz...

Ok. Thank you so much.

I have to do some research now :D

Whatever you do, we are here to help you, so either way we will sort it out :)

Say you did buy 3000Mhz Ram, but only could get it to boot at 2666Mhz. You do the following:

Find the same RAM kit at 2666Mhz. Look at the specs online.
Identify the Primary TImings, usually 2666Mhz is like 14-14-14-32 2N
Identify the RAM Voltage, usually between 1.2v to 1.35v.
Enter the above found settings in the BIOS, and see how it goes. If it boots then you just need to stability test a little with Prime95, Realbench or Aida64, i do a mix of each.

What you wouldnt want to do is this:
Buy 3000Mhz RAM, Apply XMP Profile 15-16-16-16-36 2N
Set Frequency to 2666Mhz for 2666Mhz @ 15-16-16-16-36 2N -> As this would result in lower performance than a normal 2666Mhz kit, probably perform between a properly set 2133-2400Mhz kit.

You want to have optimum ram timings for each frequency. If you compromise too much on Freq or Timings, then you just lose performance (bandwidth/latency), must balance both. Just so you know, higher timings, mean more latency, so by tightening we mean to lower timings. Too tight and the RAM wont be able to function correctly. Too fast and the RAM wont work properly either.

Now i doubt you will run into much trouble at 3000Mhz and lower speeds with just the above tweaks, but if so, youll need to tweak the VCCSA (System Agent voltage), which is the voltage for the Intel Memory Controller in the CPU. This sometimes needs more juice, but usually the Boards AUTO setting is good enough to figure out a good value based on RAM Frequency. I think stock is around 0.95v, and anything up to 1.20v is fine.

Theonik

What high quality PSU would you recommend?

Any good 1000w psus?
Looking at your post above it might be too late but it depends on your budget, Corsair is pretty good, as is Seasonic although expensive. Generally most high-end reputable brands use the same high quality OEMs. Consider the Corsair HX1000i if it's in your budget or maybe the AX860i which is lower wattage but it pretty much top of the line.

Very few sites do good PSU reviews unfortunately.

Boopop

Neo Member
Currently running:

Intel i7 2600k,
8GB DDR3 RAM
Zotac GTX 560Ti 448 Core.

Obviously the weakest part is the GPU now. I'm playing Rise of the Tomb raider at 1080p on lowest settings, and even then I get some stuttering ocassionally. My plan is to stay the course and wait for Pascal/Polaris but I'm getting very tempted to bail out and buy something now. What are peoples' thoughts?

Also having typed this out I'm tempted to get more RAM too but given I plan new GPU this year and then new Motherboard/CPU/RAM next, I'll probably just leave it at 8.

Cheers.

Matty8787

Currently running:

Intel i7 2600k,
8GB DDR3 RAM

Obviously the weakest part is the GPU now. I'm playing Rise of the Tomb raider at 1080p on lowest settings, and even then I get some stuttering ocassionally. My plan is to stay the course and wait for Pascal/Polaris but I'm getting very tempted to bail out and buy something now. What are peoples' thoughts?

Also having typed this out I'm tempted to get more RAM too but given I plan new GPU this year and then new Motherboard/CPU/RAM next, I'll probably just leave it at 8.

Cheers.

Upgrade that GPU now, why wait? All you will do then is convince yourself to wait again.

There is always a better GPU around the corner, get the best you can afford now and enjoy the hell out of it until you can afford to upgrade again.

Rest of the build seems pretty much fine.

Oxn

Currently running:

Intel i7 2600k,
8GB DDR3 RAM

Cheers.
Id disagree with above poster and say wait

M.D

My firewall asked me to block communications for pm.w55c.net when using Chrome, and google tells me it's some sort of Trojan horse? It's refers to Cdn.w55c.net as the virus

I already had something similar happen a few weeks ago and used a few different anti-malware tools but found nothing, but now I'm beginning to wonder if there was something to it..

Well turns out I need a new PSU, as mine is an old non-modular version of the Corsair TX. Apparently it is a godsend that it hasn't committed suicide or killed my system yet.

Whats a good, reliable PSU around 750w that won't break the bank?

On a separate question, I have an i7-920 (stock). How would it perform with something like Fallout 4 if I OC the crap out of it and upgrade my gtx285 to a gtx960 4gb? I may hold off on my main build for another year or so.

Bloodember

My firewall asked me to block communications for pm.w55c.net when using Chrome, and google tells me it's some sort of Trojan horse? It's refers to Cdn.w55c.net as the virus

I already had something similar happen a few weeks ago and used a few different anti-malware tools but found nothing, but now I'm beginning to wonder if there was something to it..

It's an ad injecting virus, you need to remove it from your system.

Is this the same type of virus that would automatically open tabs to advertisements? I had that about a year ago. Spent a week trying to get rid of it. Finally I just did a clean install and used it as an excuse to update from Vista.

Boopop

Neo Member
Upgrade that GPU now, why wait? All you will do then is convince yourself to wait again.

I have been very tempted to upgrade now, but the way I see it is the current GPU cycle is longer than average so the next jump is likely to be a bit larger than what we've seen in the past. Trust me there's very little chance I'd wait for the next cycle!

That and the only game this setup has struggled even on low with so far is Arkham Knight - I most struggled with that on release! I managed to finish it anyway :)

Thanks for the advice though :)

M.D

It's an ad injecting virus, you need to remove it from your system.

http://easyviruskilling.com/cdn-w55c-net-removal-guide-delete-cdn-w55c-net-virus/ Just use the manual steps and be careful. Make sure you backup your registry before you delete anything in it. If your uncomfortable doing the manual then go ahead and use the other method.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Is this the same type of virus that would automatically open tabs to advertisements? I had that about a year ago. Spent a week trying to get rid of it. Finally I just did a clean install and used it as an excuse to update from Vista.

I don't have any pop-ups but I did have a problem a few weeks back where Chrome would simply redirect me to an empty page every time I tried to use it, and it happened after my firewall warned me and suggested to block some communication.

It was some form of malware. I don't know where I'm getting these from :|

After the newest Intel news thread I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that, as knowledgeable I ever felt about hardware and software, I genuinely didn't know that Intel actually has been offering true 6/8 core CPUs for a while with their -E line's, was it the same for anyone else?

LilJoka

bomblord1

Banned
Thanks, I'll try that.

I don't have any pop-ups but I did have a problem a few weeks back where Chrome would simply redirect me to an empty page every time I tried to use it, and it happened after my firewall warned me and suggested to block some communication.

It was some form of malware. I don't know where I'm getting these from :|

Sounds like your DNS server has been changed make sure its set to auto in your settings and not some random IP

kuYuri

Well turns out I need a new PSU, as mine is an old non-modular version of the Corsair TX. Apparently it is a godsend that it hasn't committed suicide or killed my system yet.

Whats a good, reliable PSU around 750w that won't break the bank?

On a separate question, I have an i7-920 (stock). How would it perform with something like Fallout 4 if I OC the crap out of it and upgrade my gtx285 to a gtx960 4gb? I may hold off on my main build for another year or so.

EVGA's make great PSUs, get up to the 750 watt bronze rated. You can go as low as 500 for your current GPU if you want to save a little more.

EVGA's make great PSUs, get up to the 750 watt bronze rated. You can go as low as 500 for your current GPU if you want to save a little more.

I'm looking into modding my x58 so I can pop a xeon in there and save some money. If I can't mod my board, would an i7-920 OCd to 4.0ghz plus an upgrade to a gtx260 or r9-380 be able to run something like Fallout 4 really well?

That's really the most intensive game I want to play, that and modded Skyrim. Most other games are old RTS games.

Basically my system would be:

i7-920 @ 4.0ghz
12gb memory
Gtx960 or amd 380

This would only be a $300 upgrade for me instead of the $900 build I had going. Then I can do a new build in a couple years.

Theonik

I knew about the Xeon's but they are officially classed as workstation CPUs are they not? I was talking more in terms of what is commonly seen as home/gaming CPUs. And wow I don't want to imagine the price on that thing...
Technically the 5920K and above are positioned for prosumers and cheap workstations. Xeons bring ECC memory to the mix and are for serious workstations and servers. The Xeons and the E series CPUs don't differ that much running in the same sockets and architecture, one generation behind the current mainstream CPUs. So you trade higher IPC on mainstream and lower entry cost with more cores (as of Haswell-E) and more PCI-E lanes on the prosumer CPUs. I mention Haswell-E as Ivy-E had a 4 core version that isn't available this gen.

My guess is 10-Core Broadwell/Skylake-E will be slotted in at $999 replacing the current 8-core 5960X.

So I might be acquiring a second 970 from my brother as he doesn't need it anymore. What's a recommended PSU watt count that I should look for if I plan to SLI two 970s? I currently have a 750 watt PSU inside my PC at the moment.

I knew about the Xeon's but they are officially classed as workstation CPUs are they not? I was talking more in terms of what is commonly seen as home/gaming CPUs. And wow I don't want to imagine the price on that thing...

Yes, the Xeon's are marketed towards servers and workstations, but they are still awesome for gaming. I dropped in a E3 1231 v3 in place of a i5-4590s and it screams. It even has a sight overclock. Saved some cash from getting a i7, same performance and I couldn't be happier.

Also, I feel the term workstation is dated. A high end gaming PC that people also use for video editing is also a workstation.

LilJoka

I'm looking into modding my x58 so I can pop a xeon in there and save some money. If I can't mod my board, would an i7-920 OCd to 4.0ghz plus an upgrade to a gtx260 or r9-380 be able to run something like Fallout 4 really well?

That's really the most intensive game I want to play, that and modded Skyrim. Most other games are old RTS games.

Basically my system would be:

i7-920 @ 4.0ghz
12gb memory
Gtx960 or amd 380

This would only be a $300 upgrade for me instead of the $900 build I had going. Then I can do a new build in a couple years.

What do you mean : mod the board? Any 1366 Xeon already works in the x58 board.

Technically the 5920K and above are positioned for prosumers and cheap workstations. Xeons bring ECC memory to the mix and are for serious workstations and servers. The Xeons and the E series CPUs don't differ that much running in the same sockets and architecture, one generation behind the current mainstream CPUs. So you trade higher IPC on mainstream and lower entry cost with more cores (as of Haswell-E) and more PCI-E lanes on the prosumer CPUs. I mention Haswell-E as Ivy-E had a 4 core version that isn't available this gen.

My guess is 10-Core Broadwell/Skylake-E will be slotted in at $999 replacing the current 8-core 5960X.

Ah makes sense yeah, I wondered why the E versions run off of a different socket so thanks for the explanation! I guess more cores will indeed pay off in the future but for now I'll stick to my 3570k.

And wow that's almost as much as a complete build for a friend I just ordered two days ago. In retrospect I'm not really that fuzzed about not knowing about the -E line when building the PC for him as we already bent his budget a bit anyway and it's posed to be a semi-portable high-end PC in a Corsair 380T case which only takes mini-ITX boards and the only 2011-3 mITX board that is available has a price that bents my stomach a little :p

Yes, the Xeon's are marketed towards servers and workstations, but they are still awesome for gaming. I dropped in a E3 1231 v3 in place of a i5-4590s and it screams. It even has a might overclock. Saved some cash from getting a i7, same performance and I couldn't be happier.

Also, I feel the term workstation is dated. A high end gaming PC that people also use for video editing is also a workstation.

Yeah I was aware of that, especially since gaming PCs wouldn't need a integrated GPU anyway and I looked into a Xeon for my friends PC aswell but ultimately availability put a dent into that plan as he moves away the week after next and the PC has to be fully delivered and assembled in the coming week :/

And I agree with you on that, the term gaming-PC and workstation really blend into each other more and more.

Could someone help me cut some costs on this build?
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/c69g23

I'm trying to get it down to less than £500. It's for my cousin. He's only 9 so he'll basically just be playing Minecraft but I wanted to try and get him as much as I could within the £500 budget incase he decides to play other things.

I would take a r9 380 and remove the HDD.

Or does he need so much space for videos?

I don't know about videos to be honest, but I'd like to get home some sort of HDD just incase, and the price difference between 500GB and 1TB is so little that going for the 1TB just seemed like the best idea.

cHinzo

Is a 520W PSU enough for a 970 GTX and an i5 6600K? PCPartpicker says I would use less than 400W and I don't want to pay too much for extra power I dont use. Also anyone can recommend some cheap, but decent cases. The Corsair 100R and NZXT SP13 looked alright, but maybe there are some better budget cases?

Ellite25

Alright guys, I was trying some OC'ing and I have a question about temps.

I OC'd my i5 2500k up to 3.6 GHz and I'm getting temps with Prime95 maxing at 87 degrees. Is this too high? I feel like I barely overclocked but I'm getting temps that seem high. Also, I just have stock fans which may be the issue.

Sure looks like it to me. What are your PC's specs? Most power supplies won't come with a connector for slimline SATA, so you'll need an adaptor for it like this SATA to slim SATA cable or a Y shaped cable that handles both power and data.

Sorry, my PC would have been relevant. I have the HP Envy 750qe, but I actually figured it out in an ass-backwards way. Was looking at Slimline SATA to SATA cables and saw a review where two people got the cord for the exact same problem, replacing the PSU in an Envy and needing the cord for the optical drive. So that worked out rather nicely as now I know the cord I bought will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom