• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Ah makes sense yeah, I wondered why the E versions run off of a different socket so thanks for the explanation! I guess more cores will indeed pay off in the future but for now I'll stick to my 3570k.

And wow that's almost as much as a complete build for a friend I just ordered two days ago. In retrospect I'm not really that fuzzed about not knowing about the -E line when building the PC for him as we already bent his budget a bit anyway and it's posed to be a semi-portable high-end PC in a Corsair 380T case which only takes mini-ITX boards and the only 2011-3 mITX board that is available has a price that bents my stomach a little :p
The E packages are much larger than the mainstream ones despite the mainstream also having an iGPU, though the actual die isn't that massive unless you are looking at the larger CPUs like the 8+ core ones. The size is to accommodate for the 40 PCI-E lanes available in the $500+ CPUs.

Alright guys, I was trying some OC'ing and I have a question about temps.

I OC'd my i5 2500k up to 3.6 GHz and I'm getting temps with Prime95 maxing at 87 degrees. Is this too high? I feel like I barely overclocked but I'm getting temps that seem high. Also, I just have stock fans which may be the issue.
Stock fans are not meant for overclocking and I'd argue they aren't great at stock either. Too noisy.

RGM79

Like 30$ for 4gb.

Seems kind of normal to me.

Yes. Headphones/speakers. Im not happy with the onboard sound. I have an Asus Maximus VII hero. I know onboard sound has come a long way, but I would still prefer better quality

I see. I'm not that knowledgeable about sound cards, perhaps someone else can chime in with recommendations.

Is a 520W PSU enough for a 970 GTX and an i5 6600K? PCPartpicker says I would use less than 400W and I don't want to pay too much for extra power I dont use. Also anyone can recommend some cheqp, but decent cases. The Corsair 100R and NZXT SP13 looked alright, but maybe there are some better budget cases?

Yes, that will be enough, but it is somewhat low if you'll be overclocking anything. How much are you thinking of spending for both parts?

Dewoh

Neo Member
Looking at your post above it might be too late but it depends on your budget, Corsair is pretty good, as is Seasonic although expensive. Generally most high-end reputable brands use the same high quality OEMs. Consider the Corsair HX1000i if it's in your budget or maybe the AX860i which is lower wattage but it pretty much top of the line.

Very few sites do good PSU reviews unfortunately.

I borrowed a friend's. I needed to try out my new PC. I'd had the parts laying around for almost a month now.

Thanks for the Corsair recommendation. I think I'll go with that HX1000i.

Ellite25

Anyone have any idea why my Xbox One controller keeps disconnecting and reconnecting on it's own? It's connected via the cable btw. Never had this issue before.

The Llama

Anyone here use the Steam Link? Thinking of picking one up so I can stream games to my HDTV in my living room and play there. My router is there, so I can hardwire it, but my PC will be connected via a MoCA 2.0 connection. That should be a low enough latency to work well, right?

RGM79

Anyone help me out on which one to go with in terms of cpu coolers.

NZXT Kraken X61 or Corsair H100i GTX?

They're both quite high up there and excellent performing. I'd go with the one that costs less. Planning some high end overclocking?

XBP

Seems kind of normal to me.

I see. I'm not that knowledgeable about sound cards, perhaps someone else can chime in with recommendations.

Yes, that will be enough, but it is somewhat low if you'll be overclocking anything. How much are you thinking of spending for both parts?

The crucial elites usually go for around 75 to 80cad. The cheapest I've ever seen them is 50$ so i thought I'd get some for 30 as that's the cheapest its been as far as I know

RGM79

The crucial elites usually go for around 75 to 80cad. The cheapest I've ever seen them is 50$ so i thought I'd get some for 30 as that's the cheapest its been as far as I know

Well, it's up to you. What kit are you talking about exactly? What speed and latency?

The E packages are much larger than the mainstream ones despite the mainstream also having an iGPU, though the actual die isn't that massive unless you are looking at the larger CPUs like the 8+ core ones. The size is to accommodate for the 40 PCI-E lanes available in the $500+ CPUs.

Stock fans are not meant for overclocking and I'd argue they aren't great at stock either. Too noisy.

Hmm I see, are these used for extreme multi-GPU setups with workstation cards? That's the side of PC hardware I never had much exposure to as all my experience stems from home-computing.

cHinzo

Wanted to keep it at like €80 for the PSU. The Seasonic M12II Series EVO - 520W was around that price. Alternatives for around the same price, but 600W GPUs are be quiet! System Power 7 - 600W, EVGA 600W Power Supply (EU) or the Corsair CX600. Any of these better than the Seasonic one and is 600W enough for some minor overclocking?

Red Hood

Banned
I'm planning on upgrading the RAM on my dad's PC, and I was wondering a few things. According to CPU-Z he has now dual-channelled 2x2GB 532.1 MHz (which is approximately 1066 MHz, right?). He has the MSI H61M-P22 motherboard, which only has two DIMM slots and their official product page says the following about it:

DDR3 1066/1333/1600* (*DDR3-1600 MHz is only supported with Intel® Ivy Bridge processors)

And since he doesn't have an Ivy Bridge processor (i3 2130, which is Sandy Bridge), am I right to assume 1066 MHz DDR3 is all his PC can take? That would be a bummer, because I was eyeing the 8GB Kingston HyperX FURY for him (full specs: 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pins - DDR3 - 1866 MHz / PC3-14900 - CL10 - 1.5 V).

What if I find some 1333 MHz memory instead of 1066? And by the way, any specific advantages or disadvantages to use 1x 8GB instead of 2x 4?

Theonik

Hmm I see, are these used for extreme multi-GPU setups with workstation cards? That's the side of PC hardware I never had much exposure to as all my experience stems from home-computing.
For anything over 2x SLI you need an X99 board since the lowest nVidia cards are allowed to go is 8X and non E chipsets only have 16 lanes. Then you need to consider other parts in your high-end system taking up PCI-E lanes, SSDs, peripherals mobo makers add like SATA controllers, USB ports, wifi, ethernet, etc. For gaming though, you are likely to be fine as there isn't much real tangible performance benefit to running GPUs at full 16x speed. (someone correct me on that)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Probably can't go wrong with either. I installed a Corsair H100i GTX last month and it's been performing extremely well with no issues. I don't get much fan noise from it and even on the most demanding games at 3440x1440, my temperatures stay well within stable range. (No OC yet, but am debating it soon)

I suppose aesthetics may be where the decision lies as reviews seem equally as strong for both.

InsanezX2

I'm looking for opinions on my build since I haven't done one since '08. I'm building this for VR and have an Oculus CV1 pre-ordered. I was originally going to get a GTX980Ti, but decided to go with the 970 and wait for the new pascal cards later this year. I just need to keep everything under $2k.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($399.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Dynatron K17 43.4 CFM Ball Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($338.98 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC Skyline-07-R ATX Full Tower Case ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($118.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit)
Total: $1492.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 16:19 EST-0500

Also, this motherboard since I couldn't find it on PCPartPicker for some reason.
EVGA Z170 Classified K 142-SS-E178-KR

Is there anything I'm missing, or any issues with compatibility or quality of any of the parts?

Thanks for the help.

Crisium

^Nearly $340 for a GTX 970 is honestly a poor deal for a card that launched nearly a year and a half ago at $330. For $12 more, albeit after rebate, you could get a faster 390X. Or, better yet, save a few bucks with a 390 for $275 ($305 before rebate) which on average is usually equal or even a hair faster than a 970.

Maybe you are an EVGA fan, but you say you are getting it until new cards later this year. There's no need to overpay for a stopgap card like that, and I doubt you'll still be in the Step Up time frame when Pascal lands since there's no release date yet. If you really want Tomb Raider and/or Nvidia there are still several cheaper 970s.

bobawesome

Does anyone know if my MSI 2AE0 motherboard will be compatible with an i3-6100? I'm hoping to save a little money wherever possible. The motherboard is from a prebuilt, if that matters. If it's not compatible, what would be a relatively inexpensive but still worthwhile motherboard?

RGM79

Does anyone know if my MSI 2AE0 motherboard will be compatible with an i3-6100? I'm hoping to save a little money wherever possible. The motherboard is from a prebuilt, if that matters. If it's not compatible, what would be a relatively inexpensive but still worthwhile motherboard?

That's an AMD processor, you won't be able to use that with Intel processors. How much money are you hoping to spend in total for a new CPU and motherboard? If you want to save money, you should look for an Intel 4th generation processor, otherwise if you go with the new 6th generation Intel processors then you will need to buy new DDR4 RAM.

I'm looking for opinions on my build since I haven't done one since '08. I'm building this for VR and have an Oculus CV1 pre-ordered. I was originally going to get a GTX980Ti, but decided to go with the 970 and wait for the new pascal cards later this year. I just need to keep everything under $2k.

CPU Cooler: Dynatron K17 43.4 CFM Ball Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($338.98 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC Skyline-07-R ATX Full Tower Case ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($118.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit)
Total: $1492.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 16:19 EST-0500

Also, this motherboard since I couldn't find it on PCPartPicker for some reason.
EVGA Z170 Classified K 142-SS-E178-KR

Is there anything I'm missing, or any issues with compatibility or quality of any of the parts?

Thanks for the help.

Any reason why you're going with that low profile CPU cooler? It's somewhat small, I would recommend a larger CPU cooler that would be better able to handle overclocking and keep noise down.

You're overspending a lot of money on "premium" parts that aren't really necessary. The $300 motherboard is a waste of money and do you really need 32GB? Here's a far more cost-effective build for roughly the same cost.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($398.98 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($131.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($151.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba X300 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($619.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1867.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 18:21 EST-0500

That parts list includes a more powerful graphics card and a 500GB SSD, and will perform better than your parts list. As Crisium says, we don't know when Pascal is coming out. You can opt for a cheaper graphics card if you want to, but you always have the option of trying to sell your graphics card second-hand when you want to upgrade to Pascal, whenever it releases.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
My Swift H220-X All in one Cooler arrived but there was brown junk inside the reservoir. I flushed it out with distilled water and a bit of soap. Now I am waiting for some PT nuke so I can fill it back up again. Does anyone know what that brown stuff is?

TvNAcwz.jpg

Bradf50

They're both quite high up there and excellent performing. I'd go with the one that costs less. Planning some high end overclocking?

Thanks for the response, I plan on overclocking from the off, but I may start to push things even more in the future so I just want to cover myself and get a decent cooler now while I have the funds to do so. :) The NZXT is cheapest of the two from what I can see atm.

Probably can't go wrong with either. I installed a Corsair H100i GTX last month and it's been performing extremely well with no issues. I don't get much fan noise from it and even on the most demanding games at 3440x1440, my temperatures stay well within stable range. (No OC yet, but am debating it soon)

I suppose aesthetics may be where the decision lies as reviews seem equally as strong for both.

Thanks. Yeah been reading the reviews for them, both seem to do a great job. I plan on getting an ultrawide in a month or so. Looking forward to it!

For anything over 2x SLI you need an X99 board since the lowest nVidia cards are allowed to go is 8X and non E chipsets only have 16 lanes. Then you need to consider other parts in your high-end system taking up PCI-E lanes, SSDs, peripherals mobo makers add like SATA controllers, USB ports, wifi, ethernet, etc. For gaming though, you are likely to be fine as there isn't much real tangible performance benefit to running GPUs at full 16x speed. (someone correct me on that)

And again I learned something, I had no idea that the CPU was actually responsible for the PCI-E lanes, I thought it only handled the memory controller part aside from being a CPU and GPU. Very interesting but yeah as far as I know there is little real-world performance difference, much like standard mechanical HDDs shouldn't differ too much in raw speeds between SATA2 and SATA3.

XBP

Well, it's up to you. What kit are you talking about exactly? What speed and latency?

Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666. But the deal is dead so I cant get it anymore. Oh well, I guess I saved 60 bucks. But I still have a question though. Is it possible to pair two different speed rams with each other? E.g. some sticks are 2400Mhz while others 2666? Or that doesn't matter as long as one of them is under or overlocked?

RGM79

Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666. But the deal is dead so I cant get it anymore. Oh well, I guess I saved 60 bucks. But I still have a question though. Is it possible to pair two different speed rams with each other? E.g. some sticks are 2400Mhz while others 2666? Or that doesn't matter as long as one of them is under or overlocked?

It doesn't matter. By default they'll run at the lower speed of 2133MHz, but you can play around with the frequency and timing settings to get them to all run at a higher speed.

XBP

It doesn't matter. By default they'll run at the lower speed of 2133MHz, but you can play around with the frequency and timing settings to get them to all run at a higher speed.

Interesting. I always thought it had to be the same ram with the same speeds and everything. Thanks for the answers.

Anyone here use the Steam Link? Thinking of picking one up so I can stream games to my HDTV in my living room and play there. My router is there, so I can hardwire it, but my PC will be connected via a MoCA 2.0 connection. That should be a low enough latency to work well, right?

I use it in a similar fashion, my desktop is one room over and is connected to the router via wi-fi. Runs amazing with no stuttering.

Megabat

http://m.newegg.com/Combo/ComboDetail?comboid=2667998&combotype=2

Thoughts, gaf?

My i7 960 is getting a little long in the tooth, and seeing how kaby lake is supposed to be a rebrand more than anything I'm thinking I might as well upgrade now rather than wait till like 2018 for cannon lake to drop. Though it would be rather fun to say I kept around a cpu for 10 years and never blinked :p

I think you might be better off with the base level Broadwell-E CPU (6800K) when that drops. Or just go ahead and get the 5820K. Going from 4C/8T to 4C/8T instead of 6C/12T seems like a bit of a bummer, even though the 6700K is pretty good.

RGM79

Thoughts, gaf?

My i7 960 is getting a little long in the tooth, and seeing how kaby lake is supposed to be a rebrand more than anything I'm thinking I might as well upgrade now rather than wait till like 2018 for cannon lake to drop. Though it would be rather fun to say I kept around a cpu for 10 years and never blinked :p

Cost-wise there's nothing very special about that bundle, at best you're shaving off just a few dollars than if you were to buy them separately. The Asus motherboard doesn't have any reviews available so it's hard to say if it's good or not.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($102.86 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($137.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $693.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-08 00:18 EST-0500

Hellgardia

Thoughts, gaf?

I would probably go as well for the Broadwell-E 6800k. It should cost the same as the Skylake 6700k and it has an extra 2 cores.

Putting it in a gaming PC. I can afford either but if I can get the k cheaper and oc it to the same performance I would prefer the cheapest part.

If it's strictly for gaming I would go for the 6600K. Some games will like the extra threads of the 6700 but you can crank the clock speed on the 6600 damn high and ~compensate for it, as well as saving some money. And the single threaded performance will be better when sufficiently overclocked.

Alright guys, I was trying some OC'ing and I have a question about temps.

I OC'd my i5 2500k up to 3.6 GHz and I'm getting temps with Prime95 maxing at 87 degrees. Is this too high? I feel like I barely overclocked but I'm getting temps that seem high. Also, I just have stock fans which may be the issue.

Stock fans is the issue. It might also have to do with voltages, though. Did you just leave everything on auto mode? Because if so your mainboard sets the voltages and it's usually setting them far too high. You probably won't get past 4Ghz anyway without a proper cooler, though. So I'd really recommend getting one, if you want to rock that 2500k a little longer (like a couple years or so lol).

Ragona

Iam considering to play around with my build again in the next 2 months.
Currently Iam running a
2500k@ 4,3
8 Gb 1666 Ram
Radeon 390 Nitro.

I was thinking to switch the cpu to a 6700k and get 16GB DDR4 Ram.
I know, I often read the 2500k is still fine, but then again i saw gaming comparison benchmarks, where the 6700k would get between 30-50% better performance on 1080p.
Would the cpu + ram upgrade make for a noticable difference? i mean i would have to spend ~600 Euros. (incl. motherboard)

On the other hand I was looking at a 1440p Screen with freesync or gsync, so little drops arent as noticable anymore, but I really dont want to spend 500+ Euros on a screen that locks me to either AMD or Nvidia...

what to do hardware gaf?
(I want a steady 60fps experience @1080p)

Bluforce

Currently Iam running a
2500k@ 4,3
8 Gb 1666 Ram
Radeon 390 Nitro.

cut
Sorry, but if I am not wrong, 6700k have socket 1151 and your CPU have socket 1155.
So you have to change also the motherboard.
Or simply stick with the socket 1155 and get a compatible i7.
DDR4 also can be used only on 1151 motherboard.

Ragona

Sorry, but if I am not wrong, 6700k have socket 1151 and your CPU have socket 1155.
So you have to change also the motherboard.
Or simply stick with the socket 1155 and get a compatible i7.
DDR4 also can be used only on 1151 motherboard.

yeah sorry didnt explicitly say so, but obviously the change includes the motherboard upgrade :)

Matty8787

I was in the same boat and eventually opted for the CoolerMaster Nepton 240m.

And I am glad I did, got my 2500k to 4.7 and in games it doesn't go above 64 degrees, pretty happy with that.

Currently Iam running a
2500k@ 4,3
8 Gb 1666 Ram
Radeon 390 Nitro.

I know, I often read the 2500k is still fine, but then again i saw gaming comparison benchmarks, where the 6700k would get between 30-50% better performance on 1080p.
Would the cpu + ram upgrade make for a noticable difference? i mean i would have to spend ~600 Euros. (incl. motherboard)

On the other hand I was looking at a 1440p Screen with freesync or gsync, so little drops arent as noticable anymore, but I really dont want to spend 500+ Euros on a screen that locks me to either AMD or Nvidia...

what to do hardware gaf?
(I want a steady 60fps experience @1080p)

Out of curiosity as I'm also using a 2500k (also at 4.3ghz), do you have a link at hand?

bomblord1

Banned
If it's strictly for gaming I would go for the 6600K. Some games will like the extra threads of the 6700 but you can crank the clock speed on the 6600 damn high and ~compensate for it, as well as saving some money. And the single threaded performance will be better when overclocked sufficiently overclocked.

What cooler do you recommend for OC'ing I'm currently using the EVGA Hadron Air So I don't have much room as this is a Mini-ITX case and a small one at that. A wide cooler would also overlap the ram and screw slots.

gdt

So I posted this in another thread....figure here is more active.

So where is the best place to pick up a 980ti now? Amazon (I have prime)? Newegg?

And which is the version I should go for? EVGA? Gigabyte? $650/$630 on Amazon ATM.

Oxn

So where is the best place to pick up a 980ti now? Amazon (I have prime)? Newegg?

And which is the version I should go for? EVGA? Gigabyte? $650/$630 on Amazon ATM.

Whichever store that don't charge Tax to your state. For me that would be Newegg.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Amazon Prime is great. Depending on location you could get same-day or next-day delivery for little to no added cost, and the 30-day refund window is practically no questions asked(outside of shipping costs). Though my experience with Newegg is also fantastic, outside of the added delivery costs if you are less patient.

I have a Gigabyte 970 G1 and find it has been a great brand, giving me zero issues. Both mine, and I believe, their 980ti variant is SUPER LONG though, thanks to the added fans on the card, so make certain your case has a few extra inches of space that stretches beyond the Mobo surface to fit. (Shouldn't be a problem with most modern ATX cases and mobo's, unless you go micro).

I have also read great things about the EVGA brand as well for those cards, so really its kind of a crapshoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom