• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a smallish wireless keyboard and mouse device for living room PC gaming? I have my PC running in big picture but I sometimes miss need to edit settings and what not and having a wires running all over displeases me.

thuway

I'm really struggling to decide between these two newegg bundles:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2624899

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2466098

I know the 5820k is overall a better CPU, but I'm slightly worried that I'll regret not taking the ~10% ipc increase that skylake provides. Plus, I'll need to buy a new cpu cooler, as I plan on overclocking, and the hyper 212 evo can't quite cut it with the heat output of the 5820k. Any advice is appreciated, because I'm having a lot of trouble deciding.

Realistically, games will begin to utilize multiple cores and threads far more efficiently going forward. You can thank 8 core consoles, DX12, and the entire industry dealing with a lack of major CPU breakthroughs. The 5820K is your best bet ^_^

Welcome to the wonderful world of PCs, where the problem is almost always something minute and easy to overlook like that. I've literally spent hours trying to troubleshoot something like no audio coming out of my headphones when it turns out I just accidentally unplugged them.

When I was a little kid, my dad taught me a lesson about all electronics that aren't working: the very first thing you do is verify that it is plugged in and powered on. Seems so silly, but it is incredible how many times something isn't working because it isn't plugged in all the way.

Not posting this to harp on you at all, but rather, your post simply reminded me of that lesson.

BruceCLea

Banned
•24GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB+2x4GB) RAM
•2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G Hard Drive
•Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS
•HP Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 1x1 with Bluetooth M.2 NIC (Stone Peak 1)
•6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K processor quad-core [4.0GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
•6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti [DL DVI-I, HDMI, DP, DP, DP]

My new rig I got for $1300. Pretty stoked.

theRizzle

When I was a little kid, my dad taught me a lesson about all electronics that aren't working: the very first thing you do is verify that it is plugged in and powered on. Seems so silly, but it is incredible how many times something isn't working because it isn't plugged in all the way.

Not posting this to harp on you at all, but rather, your post simply reminded me of that lesson.

I think it actually happens to you more the more comfortable you get with what you're doing. When you've built 100 PC's it's easy to forget plugging in the smaller power cable to the motherboard, but it's not the first thing you think of when there's a problem because you assume you've done it properly. When it's your first time, you are so paranoid that you are double and triple checking every single thing.

I have a staff of 5 working under me at my job and every time one of them comes to me with a computer problem, the first thing I ask them is "Did you restart the computer?" The answer is (still) always no. Even after that fixes the problem 80% of the time they still won't do it.

Finaika

•6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K processor quad-core [4.0GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]

That's a beast.

Got in on that HP deal too I see. I'm geeked for mine, the wait is killing me.

Jzero

Got in on that HP deal too I see. I'm geeked for mine, the wait is killing me.

Too bad you guys don't know what the components look like.

no offense taken.
its happened ALOT in my life dealing with electronics.
its just a common occurance

Well shit, I'm getting an issue where if I'm playing a game, the screen turns a solid color and crashes to the desktop. In the case of when I play CS: GO though, the screen cuts to a solid color and then restarts back to the game.

But weirdly enough when this happened, I got this message:

"The D3D device was removed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET. This typically indicates a driver bug, or GPU hardware failing/overheating. If you were running a game at the time of this error then the game may have triggered a driver bug or caused your GPU to overheat. Big Picture must exit."

I have a GTX 980 ti Classified and it happens regardless whether I overclock or not.

My other specs are i5-4690k, 16 GB RAM and a 750W EVGA G2 PSU.

Any thoughts?

Scum

I need a helping hand, lads & ladies. I think I might have asked this a while ago but never bothered to do anything about it. I hope I can get the help needed. :D
I have an old ass Synology DS211j NAS that's showing its age and I'd very much like to replace it. I'm just after something for media stream/storage and backup at home. So, maybe instead of another NAS perhaps a home server might be a better idea...? If so, where do I start?

Cheers.

theRizzle

zHI2QLv.jpg

Finally got my PC all set up where I want it to be. I definitely can get it over 4.5 but this is the highest I can go with all the fans on low I think, so I'll leave it here for a while. Also happy the RAM is running at 3000. I'm sure that could go higher as well but I've never really tried overclocking RAM.

I put my PC together on PCPartPicker just for fun to see if it would come up with any issues, and there aren't. I can't tell if it's because it's very accurate or very inaccurate, because I literally have 1mm of clearance between the fan on the NH-D15 and the front case fan on the Prodigy. I can get a few pieces of paper through and that's about it. There also isn't much clearance between the top of the heatsink and the case. There was no way I could have got it on with the motherboard seated so I had to do that outside the case, which made it incredibly unwieldy... but I managed.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($513.25 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($124.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($204.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($333.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($265.00 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($388.98 @ BestDirect)
Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($389.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($389.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($484.00 @ Vuugo)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($109.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit) ($134.99 @ NCIX)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($159.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $4278.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-25 23:27 EST-0500

Thanks Trudeau.

knitoe

Finally got my PC all set up where I want it to be. I definitely can get it over 4.5 but this is the highest I can go with all the fans on low I think, so I'll leave it here for a while. Also happy the RAM is running at 3000. I'm sure that could go higher as well but I've never really tried overclocking RAM.

I put my PC together on PCPartPicker just for fun to see if it would come up with any issues, and there aren't. I can't tell if it's because it's very accurate or very inaccurate, because I literally have 1mm of clearance between the fan on the NH-D15 and the front case fan on the Prodigy. I can get a few pieces of paper through and that's about it. There also isn't much clearance between the top of the heatsink and the case. There was no way I could have got it on with the motherboard seated so I had to do that outside the case, which made it incredibly unwieldy... but I managed.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($204.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($333.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($265.00 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($388.98 @ BestDirect)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit) ($134.99 @ NCIX)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($159.99 @ Canada Computers)

Thanks Trudeau.
I take it with the 32GB RAM and HDDs your PC is for rendering, editing and/or etc. if that's the case, why didn't you want to go with a X99, 6-8 core, setup? Also, you might want to raid 5, 6 or 10 all those Red HDDs.

Thanks Trudeau.

Damn bro 3,163.38 USD for that I am so glad I live in the U S A. Come fuck with me in Michigan man I'll save you some money.

holygeesus

Banned
Got my first set of parts. The rest come in tomorrow. Can't do much now besides install Windows on the SSD I guess.
Can't wait to put all this together.

I may be old fashioned, but I wouldn't install Windows unless you've built everything and the build is complete, especially if it's Windows 10 and the license shenanigans that might come into play. I'd set-up Windows 10 on a USB stick, or similar, using the media creation tool on MS's website, then only after constructing everything, stick it in and go from there.

Hikami

I may be old fashioned, but I wouldn't install Windows unless you've built everything and the build is complete, especially if it's Windows 10 and the license shenanigans that might come into play. I'd set-up Windows 10 on a USB stick, or similar, using the media creation tool on MS's website, then only after constructing everything, stick it in and go from there.

Yeah I was reading up on how to transfer my Windows 10 OS to another drive and did exactly that, just have it on a USB now. Will keep from installing it then til I'm done with my build tomorrow.

jcutner

This may be the wrong place to post this, but I just put a Hyper 212 Evo on my i2500k to see how easy it'd be to overclock this chip. Turns out, pretty easy!

I have it running at 4.5GHz, but my concern is the voltage seems a bit high. I have an ASrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 board - and I thought I was telling it to run at 1.35v (in the screenshot, I have it fixed to 1.32v to see if that'd make a difference, but no, still 1.38), but CoreTemp is telling me it's at 1.38v, and I don't know how to fix that. I was thinking it might have something to do with the Load-Line Calibration - it's on Level 1 now. Level 5 causes a BSOD.

I took some shots below in case you have any ideas of what I need to modify;

wHlZfKX.png

So I'm thinking about upgrading my GPU. I have a GeForce 750ti and the Gtx 950 seems like the logical step up. Though it Serena a lot of people sewn to suggest waiting for a deal and downing a little extra for the 960.
As I've been poking around it seems there is a massive gap in performance and price between the 960 and 970. Is there any talk of nVidia making anything to occupy that gap?

*I'm mostly considering nVidia cards due to currently having one set up with all my streaming/recording software.

knitoe

This may be the wrong place to post this, but I just put a Hyper 212 Evo on my i2500k to see how easy it'd be to overclock this chip. Turns out, pretty easy!

I have it running at 4.5GHz, but my concern is the voltage seems a bit high. I have an ASrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 board - and I thought I was telling it to run at 1.35v (in the screenshot, I have it fixed to 1.32v to see if that'd make a difference, but no, still 1.38), but CoreTemp is telling me it's at 1.38v, and I don't know how to fix that. I was thinking it might have something to do with the Load-Line Calibration - it's on Level 1 now. Level 5 causes a BSOD.

I took some shots below in case you have any ideas of what I need to modify;

wHlZfKX.png

Use HWinfo, link in OP, to check. Certain settings in the bios does add % of voltage. To lower the amount, just enter a lower number, retest and see what it turns out to be.

kuYuri

So I'm thinking about upgrading my GPU. I have a GeForce 750ti and the Gtx 950 seems like the logical step up. Though it Serena a lot of people sewn to suggest waiting for a deal and downing a little extra for the 960.
As I've been poking around it seems there is a massive gap in performance and price between the 960 and 970. Is there any talk of nVidia making anything to occupy that gap?

*I'm mostly considering nVidia cards due to currently having one set up with all my streaming/recording software.

While there will be a bit of a jump between a 750 Ti to a 950, if you can try to stretch your budget a bit and go for more, I'd also recommend it.

What games are you looking to play on your PC? At what settings? If you are looking to play the latest AAA games on high settings at 1080p, it's definitely do-able, but reaching consistent 60fps will likely not be possible if that's a goal, unless it's a game like Blizzard games or the older CS GO as examples.

If you play older games or are not looking to play high settings on current AAA games or do 60fps in those games, the 950 is fine. If you want to play new games and have a great high end experience, I'd recommend stretching your budget to accommodate a 4GB like the 970 if possible.

Manp

You paint it black? that look great!, Maybe I have do the same...=D

nope, that's the Pure Black edition. same as the standard version but all black on the inside and windowed. it was a gift from a friend years ago... it looked fucking great, and still does!

the other one i have was like yours before i painted it full black. now the plan is, once i have the time, to paint it all white, make a side panel window and turn it into a retro machine with some PIII era hw.

:)

Can someone suggest me some monitors? I've never bought one before and I'm currently typing this on a TV... I'd really like to get a Gsync monitor, but I seem to hear bad things about almost every monitor out there. I'd also like it to be 1080p and many of them are 1440p, but I'm afraid my 980 won't be able to give me above 60fps on newer games at 1440p.

Basically, screen tearing is the devil and I want a 1080p Gsync monitor that won't be DOA.

Edit: This Philips monitor seems promising. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Azulsky

Can someone suggest me some monitors? I've never bought one before and I'm currently typing this on a TV... I'd really like to get a Gsync monitor, but I seem to hear bad things about almost every monitor out there. I'd also like it to be 1080p and many of them are 1440p, but I'm afraid my 980 won't be able to give me above 60fps on newer games at 1440p.

Basically, screen tearing is the devil and I want a 1080p Gsync monitor that won't be DOA.

Edit: This Philips monitor seems promising. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not able to recommend a specific monitor, but I can offer a trail of breadcrumbs that might help you in your research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_G-Sync#List_of_G-Sync-enabled_monitors

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Seems like the Acer XB270HU is still pretty up there for your resolution. Dont personally care for 1080p stretched over 27" though. The Asus ROG Swift 279Q has a 1440p screen over that same dimension, they seem to have the ROG as their #1 right now.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm

Daante

Does anyone know how likley it is that the new Radeon videocards in the middle/high tier/segments will launch before April 12? (Dark Souls 3 release date)

While there will be a bit of a jump between a 750 Ti to a 950, if you can try to stretch your budget a bit and go for more, I'd also recommend it.

What games are you looking to play on your PC? At what settings? If you are looking to play the latest AAA games on high settings at 1080p, it's definitely do-able, but reaching consistent 60fps will likely not be possible if that's a goal, unless it's a game like Blizzard games or the older CS GO as examples.

If you play older games or are not looking to play high settings on current AAA games or do 60fps in those games, the 950 is fine. If you want to play new games and have a great high end experience, I'd recommend stretching your budget to accommodate a 4GB like the 970 if possible.
Off the top of my head, I'd want to be capable of playing Xcom 2 and. the upcoming Killer Instinct at 1080/60. Not necessarily at ultra settings though. I have a PS4, so PC gaming hasn't been a priority for me hense why I don't want to drop $300+ on a GPU. I suppose I can wait and see what else comes to market.

Does anyone know how likley it is that the new Radeon videocards in the middle/high tier/segments will launch before April 12? (Dark Souls 3 release date)

June and July seem to be the most likely dates for their arrival. I believe the first run of Polaris that comes out is going to be mobile.

Kudo

Praying myself that GTX 780 runs the game all maxed on 1440p, otherwise I'll have to wait for new GPUs.

What would people here recommend, I need to update my parents computer in cheap manner and the current specs are:
i7-920 /OC to 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3
GTX 970 SLI
Should I try to buy i7-970 or 980(X) for the current socket, or how expensive those are nowadays? Availability seems bad though, even second hand.
Or would it be wiser to just build new Haswell/Skylake with i5/i3? How would i7-970 compare to new CPUs?

Praying myself that GTX 780 runs the game all maxed on 1440p, otherwise I'll have to wait for new GPUs.

What would people here recommend, I need to update my parents computer in cheap manner and the current specs are:
i7-920 /OC to 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3
GTX 970 SLI
Should I try to buy i7-970 or 980(X) for the current socket, or how expensive those are nowadays? Availability seems bad though, even second hand.
Or would it be wiser to just build new Haswell/Skylake with i5/i3? How would i7-970 compare to new CPUs?

Damn your parents have a significantly better gaming rig? Tell them to get a 980ti so you can get at least one of those 970s!

Kudo

Damn your parents have a significantly better gaming rig? Tell them to get a 980ti so you can get at least one of those 970s!

I have i7-6700k and GTX 780, is 970 how much better? I thought they were fairly comparable. If they are much better I could borrow one for Dark Souls 3, Keh heh.

Kudo

Hmm, I didn't know it was this much better, definitely something to think about as they were talking about getting back to just one card. Doesn't seem like good idea to switch 970 SLI to 980Ti at this point, just checked some comparison and looks like they're fairly even? I guess we should just whole family sit tight for that Pascal.
Thanks for the info.

rbanke

Has anyone bought a Silverstone case this month from newegg and successfully submitted the rebate form request? It fails to send and has done so for over a week, its only $5 but a bit aggrivating. A bit irritating that all these rebates seem to have forms to request the actual rebate form, they couldn't make it more obvious they don't actually want people to use the rebates if they tried.

Guess I'm in the 10th percentile club :(

I need 1.36v to be stable at 4.5 ghz, 1.35v for 4.4. I sort of figured out my chip wasn't a great overclocker but this kinda confirms it.

The only thing is that chart doesn't show how they are cooling it. They might be using some crazy shit. It is from an overclocking forum.

I had a bong cooler in college.

a little bit OT, but how good is 'Steam Link'? Sounds like a device that is awesome, just plug it into your tv, plug in the controller adapter and a network cable and you can play your PC games on your TV without moving your PC.

My power supply died recently, so I've been replacing a few other thongs now that im at it. I'm tempted to get the Dell U2515H monitor. Does anyone have this or a similar monitor? 25-inch 1440p sounds great.

So I came home last night and fired up FFXIV along with some streams in the background. A few minutes in my screen suddenly flashes red lines followed by a BSOD. Would see the same red lines when attempting to boot into Windows normally before finally using safe mode. Basically troubleshooted the card (ASUS 980Ti STRIX OC, had it since Nov2015) all night with no resolutions but still have a few things to try out after work today.

Not sure if it's a driver-related issue but I used DDU and tried fresh installing the latest drivers which resulted in the same flash of red lines and then having the system hang or BSOD. Afterward I noticed W10 was trying to install its own version of the latest NVIDIA drivers at the same time but I managed to force it to hide/stop those updates from installing. Will try another fresh driver install and see what happens along with switching the PCIE slot the card is sitting in.

Just as a side note the system ran perfectly fine using IGFX.

Windam

Scaley member
Is 4.3GHz at 1.25 VCORE alright for an i5 6600K? I have the MSI Z170A PC Mate (latest BIOS) and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I'm stress testing using AIDA64 and 10 mins in, my temps have yet to hit over 48 degrees.

HWMonitor shows that the "Package" hit a high of 49 degrees whereas Core 0 ht 45, 1 hit 48, 2 hit 41, and 3 hit 42, but cycle between mid 30s and low 40s for the most part.

Edit: HWMonitor results after 20:12 of AIDA64 stressing the CPU at 100%
HWTtBK7.png

I'm safe, GAF?

So it might be too early to ask about this, but the idea has been in my mind for a while now and I'm curious to hear what people think.

I am really, really excited for Mirror's Edge Catalyst, and even though we don't know the system requirements yet, I'm thinking I'm going to want something better than my GTX 970. I want to be able to play the game in stereoscopic 3D (via TriDef Ignition), which generally cuts the framerate in half. In order to do that on high settings @ 60 fps, I think I'm going to want a 980 TI.

I can easily afford a 980 Ti (or at least, I will be able to come May), but I don't think I play enough AAA games for it to be a justifiable purchase. For comparison, since I built my current PC last summer, I've played a total of three graphically-intensive games (Tomb Raider 2013, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and—if it even counts—Life is Strange). The only thing I'd really end up using the 980 Ti for is Mirror's Edge.

So...

What if I was to buy a used 980 Ti on May 24, with the expectation that I'd be able to resell it myself 2-3 months later for either the same amount or a small (<$50) loss? What are the chances that this would actually work out? Market-disrupting Pascal cards won't be out earlier than September, right?

Is 4.3GHz at 1.25 VCORE alright for an i5 6600K? I have the MSI Z170A PC Mate (latest BIOS) and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I'm stress testing using AIDA64 and 10 mins in, my temps have yet to hit over 48 degrees.

HWMonitor shows that the "Package" hit a high of 49 degrees whereas Core 0 ht 45, 1 hit 48, 2 hit 41, and 3 hit 42, but cycle between mid 30s and low 40s for the most part.

I'm not an expert, but that's less than I'm doing with the exact same model motherboard, processor and cooler. I'm using 4.4 Ghz @ 1.3 V, and my temps essentially never go over 60°C. I've had my system since late August.

(It's worth noting that I've also played around with fan curves to make sure temperatures stay low at the expense of some noise, but even before I did that temperatures stayed in safe ranges)

Rest of my parts are coming today, but man... I'm finding that most instruction manuals are just... bad. Like I get things on a conceptual level, but there's a lot of little things that aren't explained as far as I can find, such as with the motherboard for example-- it comes with an I/O shield (new terminology for me yay) but it's unclear how and when you're supposed to actually try and fit it in. It seems to go in from inside the back, but I'm not sure how to actually make it stick or fit. It's just like this loose plate.

This isn't a big deal in the grand scheme and probably has a ridiculously duh answer, but I'm prepared to look like a total idiot in favor of doing this right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom