• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoDave

Oh, you asked us a similar question around two weeks ago. The answer is still the same. Your power supply will be fine for now as long as you're not overclocking.

I think you're talking about this Powercolor R9 390, it measures 305mm long so it's a bit too large for that case.

What are you doing on your PC that you want to get an i7 6700K? You could get the i7 4790K (as low as $300) for cheaper and it would perform fairly similarly to the i7 6700K. You would be able to reuse your existing RAM and motherboard with it as well.

An even cheaper solution would be the Xeon E3 1231v3 ($245 at the lowest). It's similar to an i7 processor it that it's also a quad core model with hyperthreading, but it does have a lower clock speed of 3.4GHz to 3.8GHz.

Yea I'm going to buy this Friday and was considering the gtx 970 at first then went to to a 390. I guess will have to go back a 970...if it will fit in the case.

Oh, you asked us a similar question around two weeks ago. The answer is still the same. Your power supply will be fine for now as long as you're not overclocking.

I think you're talking about this Powercolor R9 390, it measures 305mm long so it's a bit too large for that case.

What are you doing on your PC that you want to get an i7 6700K? You could get the i7 4790K (as low as $300) for cheaper and it would perform fairly similarly to the i7 6700K. You would be able to reuse your existing RAM and motherboard with it as well.

An even cheaper solution would be the Xeon E3 1231v3 ($245 at the lowest). It's similar to an i7 processor it that it's also a quad core model with hyperthreading, but it does have a lower clock speed of 3.4GHz to 3.8GHz.

I was just going with what someone told me I should do, honestly. Thanks for the benchmarks, I think I'll probably go with the 4790K.

RGM79

I was just going with what someone told me I should do, honestly. Thanks for the benchmarks, I think I'll probably go with the 4790K.

If you're playing games, the i5 4670 should still be extremely good for that. Going with an i7 processor won't change too much. Sure, you'll see some framerate improvements, but it's not like the i5 4670 can't give you 60FPS in most games.

Yea I'm going to buy this Friday and was considering the gtx 970 at first then went to to a 390. I guess will have to go back a 970...if it will fit in the case.

What country are you in and how much do you want to spend?

plasmasd

Been running my 2600k at 4.9-5ghz since 2011. Two cores finally went out after that much time near 1.5v. I just ordered 3770k to replace it. I need firewire for my audio interface, and none of the x99 boards have native thunderbolt 3 support anyway. If I build another desktop I'll get the fastest binned 6950x I can from silicon lottery. 6700k wasn't worth it to me, because I want at least 8 physical cores for rendering on my next build. I've been running my 2600k with hyperthreading all these years and I certainly got my monies worth out of that cpu. I hope the 6950x can run stable near 4.5ghz to get the benefit of both single and multi threaded apps.

If you're playing games, the i5 4670 should still be extremely good for that. Going with an i7 processor won't change too much. Sure, you'll see some framerate improvements, but it's not like the i5 4670 can't give you 60FPS in most games.

Just worried since I recently upgraded to a 1440p Gsync monitor.

Manp

Those two R90s must be louder than standing under a waterfall.

you can tell they're there but i don't really care since i always play with headphones. when i play...
not as bad as the 290X and not as bad as people have you thinking tho since tha fan is capped anyway.

and they're just there till polaris anyway :D

DiscoDave

I'm in the UK and I could stretch to 300 pounds maybe a little more that's why was thinking of the r9 390 as it's 240 then was gonna buy a new psu for 60 if it was needed but seems my case is to small for the card anyway. Sorry late reply I'm at work.

Edit: going for the MSI gtx 970 and going to order tommorow thanks for the replys.

e90Mark

Newegg sent me an email saying Save on Intel 6th Gen Core. I guess this meant they were in stock so I clicked through and had a look.

Core i7-6700K - $381

I chortled and closed the link. The pricing on Skylake is still this absurd so long after launch? Just how low is the yield on these things anyways?

Out of curiosity I checked and Core i7-5820K is $390. Yeah, okay. I just don't know sometimes Intel.
B&H just had it for like $360. Not bad, considering the only other place I saw at MSRP was Micro Center and taxes apply.

5820k is $320 at MC

im thinking about buying the Dell U2515H.. what do you guys think? i need something that looks good, has low power consumption and is primarily used for gaming. im open to recommendations.

Walpurgis

Banned
Hard to say, as I haven't used one of them myself. Like you, I care about specs, although I'm liable to go kinda overboard for my needs. I'm worried the Celeron might chug a bit if she tries to run a bunch of programs at the same time or if there's a lot going on in the background. I consider the Celeron to be so-so because it's basically like an Atom processor. I could have sworn there were better laptop deals a couple of months ago, but I guess they were all mostly $499+ before taxes. Staying at $500 or under after taxes means looking at models priced at $350~450 before taxes, which I guess limits your choices. I was hoping there would be some laptops with Pentium processors, but oh well.
Thanks a lot for the advice (and thanks again for helping me pick parts for my PC a few months ago :p). My sister ordered that laptop and it should arrive next week. Luckily, with Costco's warranty, if the processor misbehaves, she can return it within 90 days! :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I gave into the urge to upgrade from my 2500k and just placed an order for all of this:

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Performance Full Tower Case
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD
Motherboard: Z170-DELUXE
CPU: i7-6700K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2400
Drive: Crucial MX200 500GB

Going to recycle my GTX 970 card from my old machine, and also throw in its SSDs for a total of 1.25 TB of flash storage.

I wanted to upgrade the GPU, too, but now doesn't seem like the right time to buy. I really want to see how the next generation of AMD/Nvidia cards shakes out with DX12 and also the Free Sync technology. I've got a 1080p G-Sync monitor right now, but I'm definitely looking to upgrade to 2560x1440 eventually.

bomblord1

Banned
So I just got my last piece ordered excited to get this together.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($369.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S524 Ver 2 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($172.16 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card ($590.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: EVGA Hadron Mini ITX Tower Case w/500W Power Supply ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1435.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-01 14:51 EST-0500

Note that this was build over time and I get a lot of these pieces considerably cheaper. The r9 Nano was only $499 and the 120GB SSD is only in there because it was free with my Mobo in particular.

I'm mainly worried about cramming everything in that tiny case which was what the build was centered around (small form factor super high power) haha. I know it all fits it's just going to be difficult to work around everything. I'll definitely be assembling the mobo components outside the case first.

I plan on throwing a 50% power multiplier on that r9 nano as soon as I get it which puts it just a smidgen under a stock Fury X.

So I'm heavily thinking of doing a GPU upgrade on my current system, specs below:

i5 2500k
16GB DDR3 2133 MHZ
2xGTX 570's SC
800W Power Supply

My question is this: out of all the GPU's I see, I'm reading amazing things about the GTX 980 Ti Hybrid; how cool does this thing actually stay? All I have to do is place the fan by a vent in my case right? I'm using the HAF case (Think that's the name, been a while) it's the huge tower with fans and holes all over the place.

Also, will my rig get bottlenecked at all with the 980 Ti?

bomblord1

Banned
So I'm heavily thinking of doing a GPU upgrade on my current system, specs below:

i5 2500k
16GB DDR3 2133 MHZ
2xGTX 570's SC
800W Power Supply

My question is this: out of all the GPU's I see, I'm reading amazing things about the GTX 980 Ti Hybrid; how cool does this thing actually stay? All I have to do is place the fan by a vent in my case right? I'm using the HAF case (Think that's the name, been a while) it's the huge tower with fans and holes all over the place.

Also, will my rig get bottlenecked at all with the 980 Ti?

If you put a good OC on that 2500K it should be good although honestly pairing it with a 980ti may very well bottleneck it even OC'd.

If you put a good OC on that 2500K it should be good although honestly pairing it with a 980ti may very well bottleneck it even OC'd.

How bad are we talking if I leave it stock? Are we talking 5 fps max here? or enough to make a huge difference? My CPU runs under load at around 45C so overclocking isn't an issue.

bomblord1

Banned
How bad are we talking if I leave it stock? Are we talking 5 fps max here? or enough to make a huge difference? My CPU runs under load at around 45C so overclocking isn't an issue.

This video should help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frNjT5R5XI4 They pair a stock 2500K with a 980ti and run benchmarks. And then they pair it with newer processors as well as try faster RAM and OC.

At stock with stock ram an i3-6100 beats it out in FPS.

Onemic

Is polaris coming to market first or pascal? Are they both slated for summer? I keep hearing about how pascal is gonna be released in April.

Also is the EVGA 650W 80+ Platinum Certified PSU good enough for a power supply if I dont plan on overclocking?

Hustler

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($128.81 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($331.67 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.39 @ Amazon)
Total: $1092.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-01 15:36 EST-0500

Thanks everyone for the help, I'm loving my new PC and it takes anything I can throw at it!

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($128.81 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($331.67 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.39 @ Amazon)
Total: $1092.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-01 15:36 EST-0500

Thanks everyone for the help, I'm loving my new PC and it takes anything I can throw at it!
This is a really well-rounded build. Nice one and enjoy!

I think I'm about to give up on OCing my 6600k. I just can't figure out what is going wrong where. I think its good for awhile then it freezes on reboot or on a cold start.

mulac

So i've posted a few times in here this week. I'm in the market for a new case + second screen (dedicated exclusively to gaming while i work on my other screen.

Heres where I am and what I want - suggestions? Am I wasting my $$? Reason I need a new case is the current one is too small and the rig is crammed in to the point where I cant close the top or sides.

CURRENT
  • RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A2133C11R 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
  • COOLING Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler
  • CPU Intel Core i7 4790K
  • MOBO ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard
  • SSD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD
  • HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
  • GRAPHICS ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix DirectCU II 4GB
  • POWER Corsair HX750i 80 Plus Platinum 750W Power Supply
  • CASE Corsair Carbide 500R Case - Black
  • SCREEN Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved Monitor – U3415W
  • DVD LG BH16NS40 Black 16x Blu-Ray BDXL SATA Internal rewrite
  • HEADSET SteelSeries H Wireless Multi-Platform Headset
  • KEYBOARD SteelSeries Apex M800 Mechanical RGB Gaming Keyboard
  • MOUSE Corsair Vengeance M60 FPS Laser Gaming Mouse

WANT
  • CASE Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Black
  • SCREEN ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift 27in 165Hz G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor
  • MOUSE SteelSeries Sensei Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse

Pocks

I seem to be having problems connecting to non IPv6 websites via WiFi. Google & Facebook load fine, but GAF and most others give DNS errors.

• My phone has no issues via WiFi
  • The desktop has no issues via Ethernet (shows IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity)
  • My laptop only shows IPv6 connectivity
  • Successful pings for google.com (shows IPv6 address), unsuccessful for neogaf.com
  • My laptop loads the sites fine when connected to another SSID
  • IPv4 is enabled via Wireless Network Connection Properties
  • I've tried using Google's DNS manually

prLQDgQ.png

any suggestions?

bomblord1

Banned
I seem to be having problems connecting to non IPv6 websites via WiFi. Google & Facebook load fine, but GAF and most others give DNS errors.

• My phone has no issues via WiFi
  • The desktop has no issues via Ethernet (shows IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity)
  • My laptop only shows IPv6 connectivity
  • Successful pings for google.com (shows IPv6 address), unsuccessful for neogaf.com
  • My laptop loads the sites fine when connected to another SSID
  • IPv4 is enabled via Wireless Network Connection Properties
  • I've tried using Google's DNS manually

prLQDgQ.png

any suggestions?

Have you tried turning it off and then back on again? Also check to make sure you are not set up to use a proxy or VPN

Pocks

Have you tried turning it off and then back on again? Also check to make sure you are not set up to use a proxy or VPN

I hate that that worked. -_- I know better

I was trying DNS flushes and all sorts of tomfoolery. I'd still like to get to the root cause, but it's hard to care when a 60 second reboot fixes the problem.

bomblord1

Banned
Hey guys is kinguin legit? They are selling windows keys for ~$20 found some people and youtube videos saying they are wanted to see if you guys knew anything though

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Anyone ever heard of a windows installation error 0x8007025d being caused by a fault processor or motherboard?

Doing a new install and keep getting this error. Get it on different hard drives, and get it if I use a windows 10 disk or a usb drive boot.

Anyone ever heard of a windows installation error 0x8007025d being caused by a fault processor or motherboard?

Doing a new install and keep getting this error. Get it on different hard drives, and get it if I use a windows 10 disk or a usb drive boot.

Check if there's a BIOS update available.

Toki767

Yay? lol. New PC

Sorry your old one died though.
I'm not super torn about it since I wanted to build one for VR. I wanted HBM2 to be out first though. Oh well.

Now I need to decide if I want an i7 6700K or i5 6600K. Is there going to be a major difference for VR/4K/emulation?

There was a bios update. Updated, but am still getting the same error. This is frustratingly baffling.

Are you using an usb flash drive? Is the ISO from Microsoft? Maybe try the latest Rufus version also. Last thing, are you formatting before selecting the primary partition?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Are you using an usb flash drive? Is the ISO from Microsoft? Maybe try the latest Rufus version also. Last thing, are you formatting before selecting the primary partition?

It is microsofts ISO. I have formatted and deleted multiple partitions on the drive. One of the drives was brand new.

Olli128

I currently have an i5 4460, 8gb of ram and a Radeon 270x. Would upgrading to something like a 970 or equivalent pascal gpu + 16gb of ram give a significant improvement or is the cpu too weak?

Mine01

Sup gaf, after the microsoft announcement of supporting more pc i decided its time to ditch my one and join pc gaf.

After like 30 mins of searching i got the next specs:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XhZqxr

Any opinions? Any idea of its performance vs a current gen console??

Or should I wait for polaris or pascal??

zer0das

Banned
Is polaris coming to market first or pascal? Are they both slated for summer? I keep hearing about how pascal is gonna be released in April.

Also is the EVGA 650W 80+ Platinum Certified PSU good enough for a power supply if I dont plan on overclocking?

Pascal is almost certainly not coming out in April. Probably Q4, Q3 at the absolute earliest. Polaris might be coming out soon, probably mid-year. It could conceivably be launched as early as April, but probably a few months later.

The power supply should be fine, if you're using a single GPU.

It is microsofts ISO. I have formatted and deleted multiple partitions on the drive. One of the drives was brand new.

I tried a quick google search and nothing points at hardware issues. It's just bad ISOs, old version of Rufus, old bios etc. No idea really, just keep searching for people having the same problem.

I currently have an i5 4460, 8gb of ram and a Radeon 270x. Would upgrading to something like a 970 or equivalent pascal gpu + 16gb of ram give a significant improvement or is the cpu too weak?

It's quite a significant improvement 80% to almost 2x better but maybe you should wait a bit for the new cards which are coming out this year. The cpu shouldn't be an issue instead.

Onemic

Pascal is almost certainly not coming out in April. Probably Q4, Q3 at the absolute earliest. Polaris might be coming out soon, probably mid-year. It could conceivably be launched as early as April, but probably a few months later.

The power supply should be fine, if you're using a single GPU.

hmmm, I thought they would be launched no later than June... Would upgrading to the R9 390 be worth it then, rather than waiting for polaris if Im aiming for getting my PC VR ready? My Vive preorder ships in May.

Urthor

Polaris can't get launched April because AMD has a stockpile of 28nm R9 Fury X "dedicated VR cards" to move remember. It wanted to sell in December last year after the E3 announce of the card, but HTC crapped out on them and didn't have the Vive ready in time, and they've probably been sitting in a warehouse since then.

kronpas

Neo Member
My 3750k is showing its age, stutter like crazy playing BF4 ultra @2k pairing with a 980Ti.

https://imgur.com/8Xys9cJ

I'm going to replace it with a 6600k but not sure which mainboard is the best offer under $200 from ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte, consider light to moderate OC. Anyone can help?

(Only the 3 above companies have official resellers where I live so your suggestion is more likely to be available here).

My 3750k is showing its age, stutter like crazy playing BF4 ultra @2k pairing with a 980Ti.

I'm going to replace it with a 6600k but not sure which mainboard is the best offer under $200 from ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte, consider light to moderate OC. Anyone can help?

(Only the 3 above companies have official resellers where I live so your suggestion is more likely to be available here).

Out of curiosity, what speed is your CPU at?

Crisium

Is that typical for a 3570K? And if so, would going with another 4 thread CPU really alleviate it? MP BF4 loves threads, and just the IPC gains from Ivy Bridge to Skylake isn't going to help as much as adding more threads, I think. If you are going with a new build with MP BF4 a focus you want an i7 6700K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom