• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Press DEL to enter the bios when you start the PC and search for the "boot" section or something similar. You should find your USB stick listed there. set it up in the first slot.

Got it! Thanks for the help. I see it there, but when I choose it it says "remove media and restart," then "reboot and select proper boot device."

Any ideas?

Guys, halp!

Completed my build. Everything is in and good to go, plug the computer in and hit power and nothing happens. Any ideas?
I would check the connection on the motherboard to the PC tower.

You may have mixed something up there. Easiest mistake to make IMO on a new build.

Edit:never mind looks like you're moving along

SYNTAX182

Ok, Dark Souls 3 comes out soon and I wanna play it at the max 60 fps setting. I'm getting a 1440p monitor in the near future, or maybe summer for design work.

I only have an old 2gb gtx 650 ti boost so I really need an upgrade.

A recent thread here said gtx 770 can do max 60 fps but not sure at what resolution and setting comprimises.

Any guesstimations for me on what to upgrade to? I just need it to play DS3 without any issues at max settings when I upgrade the monitor as well.

Here are my other parts:

- Asrock H97M Anniversary (I have a wifi extension card in here not sure if it's an issue with bigger cards)
- i5 4590
- 8GB Ram
- Corsair CX430 Psu (Upgrade?)
- Gtx 650 ti Boost 2GB

Thank, thanks, you're the best in advance! =)

The only other computer I have in the house is a MacBook. Can I still do it with this? I'm looking up the tools but they all have windows instructions.

Yea just google it:

From the Finder, open the Applications folder, and then Utilities.
Open the Boot Camp Assistant, and then click Continue. The next screen should give you a list of options.
UITS recommends making the USB drive installer first. You don't need to install Windows or download the support software at this time, as it will be easier to do both later. To proceed:
Verify that the USB drive you will be writing to is plugged in.
Uncheck the Install Windows 7 or later version and Download the latest Windows support software from Apple options.
Check Create a Windows 7 or later install disk and click Continue.
Your USB drive should be listed in the "Destination disk" area. Use choose to browse to your .iso file; after selecting it, click Continue.
If prompted, confirm your action and/or provide an administrator's password. The process of writing the .iso file to the USB drive can take 20 minutes or longer.

I feel like maybe this is a dumb question, but

Precision X: do some of these features (like OSD) only work for actual EVGA cards? I have no problem switching to Afterburner, but I just sort of assumed Precision X would work just as well. Yet I can't seem to get the OSD working and it seems disinclined to start with Windows despite me activating said feature.

My boot camp assistant doesn't have that third option shown there. Sorry for all the questions! Trying to figure this out, too and I'm googling. I tried that unetbootin program but that didn't work either.

Doesn't it look like this?
tasks2.jpg

Try to follow the tutorial here: link

Ok, Dark Souls 3 comes out soon and I wanna play it at the max 60 fps setting. I'm getting a 1440p monitor in the near future, or maybe summer for design work.

A recent thread here said gtx 770 can do max 60 fps but not sure at what resolution and setting comprimises.

Any guesstimations for me on what to upgrade to? I just need it to play DS3 without any issues at max settings when I upgrade the monitor as well.

Here are my other parts:

- Asrock H97M Anniversary (I have a wifi extension card in here not sure if it's an issue with bigger cards)
- i5 4590
- 8GB Ram
- Gtx 650 ti Boost 2GB

No one's really going to be able to tell you this until the game comes out as we won't know how it runs until we have it in hand. We could guess, but you might end up with a card that doesn't cut it, and that's not going to be all that helpful for you. But if you had a budget in mind, that will help narrow down your options.

Try what Lactose_Intolerant posted, just make sure to save the ISO somewhere on your mac before you format your usb so you don't have to download it again.

Here are my other parts:

- i5 4590
- 8GB Ram
- Gtx 650 ti Boost 2GB

I guess a 970/390 will run it fine at 60fps 1440p based on what we know but it's just a guess.

SYNTAX182

I guess I can always play it at 1080p window mode on the new monitor. That might actually be better for me to save some money. I'm only getting the new monitor for work stuff. I can wait a bit before upgrading and see what others experiences are when the game is released. Thanks my dudes.

Try what Lactose_Intolerant posted, just make sure to save the ISO somewhere on your mac before you format your usb so you don't have to download it again.

Thanks for the help, guys, but I can't friggin' figure this out. I'm at my wits end. Tried Wine, but it's incredibly obtuse and I don't even see the actual program when I download it.

I'm going to call it a night and try and figure out some workaround tomorrow. Sighhhhhh.

Hi GAF, I'm thinking about building my very first PC. I have a budget of about $1500 CAD. My birthday is coming up soon so my parents are paying for half of the monitor as well.

Here is the build I have so far. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I plan on overclocking and I already have a CPU cooler and a case that my brother is giving me from one of his old builds.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($290.48 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.80 @shopRBC )
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($83.88 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($116.35 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($63.35 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($459.00 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Monitor: Asus MG279Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor (649.99 @ NCIX)

Total: $1902.84 CAD (Minus about $325 being paid by my parents) comes to around $1577.85

Here is the build I have so far. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I plan on overclocking and I already have a CPU cooler and a case that my brother is giving me from one of his old builds.

No comments on the rig specifically, but make sure that the heatsink/fan your brother is giving you is compatible with that motherboard/chipset; if it turns out you don't have the right mounting bracket with it, you may have to eat the cost of an entire new unit (I've had this happen to me and it's a pain in the butt). And be sure to clean the base thoroughly with alcohol to get rid of any leftover thermal grease or fingerprints that you might not even be able to see.

Ok, I still haven't given up. I tried that video and followed every step to the T. I really thought it was going to work this time, but them still, "select proper boot device and restart." I don't know what's wrong. I want to die.

Well you've successfully assembled the entire build and it boots fine. That's the hardest part and it's over, you just need to install freaking windows so don't lose hope.

You could try the good old way of burning a DVD and use that to boot the win install. Or find a windows PC and try Rufus. From what I read some Gigabyte motherboards do have some issues booting from the usb which a bios update should solve but you cant do that yet. Last thing, did you try different USB ports?

How expensive are we expecting the first run of Pascal cards to be? Or to be more specific a Pascal card that will be the equivalent of the 980ti?
I can get an MSI 980ti for a pretty good price(has to be a 2-fan MSI since it's one of the only 980ti's that will fit in my mini-itx case), and since I don't actually have a dedicated GPU in my system yet I'm not sure I can hold out for the HBM2 Pascal cards.
Or should I at least wait to see what the GDDR5X cards are like?

cdyhybrid

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask, but you guys have been great to me so I hope someone can help me out with this - or at least point me in the right direction.

I got some speakers for my desktop and due to cable length, etc. I have to keep the right speaker to my left and vice versa (they were free and given away - I would have gotten ones that fit my setup better if I were picking speakers out). I don't see any way to reverse stereo in my audio manager. They're just simple stereo speakers, one right and one left.

On Windows 10, Realtek driver version 6.0.1.7553 - is there a software option to switch the channels or do I have re-do my whole desk setup? Google results have been pretty lean.

Edit: They only use one cable to hook into the sound card.

Josh5890

I'm thinking about finally upgrading my Radeon HD 6970. I can tell that it is barely playing games now and it isn't getting any younger. When I buy a GPU I look first and foremost for longevity. I like to buy a card that will last me the longest until it becomes obsolete. I don't worry about having the most cutting edge graphics every six months.

These are the three I'm looking at...

MSI R9 390- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZPOAYG6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

MSI R9 370- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGF11YS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

GeForce GTX 970- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NNXVPS2/?tag=neogaf0e-20[site|thaus[cat|[art|[pid|B00NNXVPS2[tid|14586142739114163[bbc|LEPRIX

I'm tempted at getting the 370 over the 390 since it costs half as much but how soon do you folks think it will be before I have to upgrade again? I don't want to spend money on a card that won't play games in a year or so. Ideally I would like to get at least three years out of my next card. My top end budget is $350, although I wouldn't mind spending a little less if possible. Any thoughts on what would be best for me?

RGM79

I'm really hoping to get a good OC. After reading up on the t4 seems like it wont be the best for this. I would pay more for a better cooler as I'd like to take the 2500k to 4.6 if possible, any recommendations?

Cryorig have nice coolers that are fairly easy to install, like the H5 Universal (£33). It's hard to say what size CPU cooler your case will fit, though. I just cannot find any information on what the height clearance is for CPU coolers in your case.

DiscoDave

Cryorig have nice coolers that are fairly easy to install, like the H5 Universal (£33). It's hard to say what size CPU cooler your case will fit, though. I just cannot find any information on what the height clearance is for CPU coolers in your case.

I thought I read it's 200mm some where does this sound right? And thank you for your recommendations. Currently waiting on my xfx xt 600 to arrive after you recommending it before. I'll have a look at that cooler and try to find if it will fit in my case.

496x200x508 are the dimensions I found.

Edit: Saying that surely I can just measure it myself.

jwhit28

I know you guys aren't fortune tellers, but if I bought a GTX 970 from EVGA right now, do you think I'd safely be within the 90 days of sending it back and upgrading to a GTX 1070/1080? Most of the articles I've seen predict the 1080 as early as May.

Kudo

Do you guys turn off your monitors when you turn off the computer, or just leave them on Standby ?
Is there any negatives to leaving them on Standby, just checked and my monitors seem to use 1.5W combined so that's not much and it would save my morning routine of turning them on each morning.

I'm thinking about finally upgrading my Radeon HD 6970. I can tell that it is barely playing games now and it isn't getting any younger. When I buy a GPU I look first and foremost for longevity. I like to buy a card that will last me the longest until it becomes obsolete. I don't worry about having the most cutting edge graphics every six months.

GeForce GTX 970- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NNXVPS2/?tag=neogaf0e-20[site|thaus[cat|[art|[pid|B00NNXVPS2[tid|14586142739114163[bbc|LEPRIX

I'm tempted at getting the 370 over the 390 since it costs half as much but how soon do you folks think it will be before I have to upgrade again? I don't want to spend money on a card that won't play games in a year or so. Ideally I would like to get at least three years out of my next card. My top end budget is $350, although I wouldn't mind spending a little less if possible. Any thoughts on what would be best for me?

This and this combined (note different settings in use per chart) would suggest that a 950 or 370 is basically "good enough" for your needs, though they'd not too future-proof, but I think it wouldn't be too much of a problem seeing as both cards are still somewhat faster than a PS4.

The 970 and 390 would last you a long time, given that they're significantly faster than an Xbox One or PS4. Really, they're kind of like 3 Xbox Ones duct taped together, and perhaps more, if you overclock them, especially the 970.

Just asking: what's your CPU and PSU? Play CPU-intensive games (which sometimes might not be obvious?)

(Also, please, try for the MSI Gaming 970 instead of the Zotac if you can help it.)

Sarcasm

Trying to find a guide on understanding your Psu since I am going to try to oc my CPU and I must be using the wrong keywords.

I keep getting how to know your psu is dead lol.

I am trying to see if my psu is up to it.

Trying to find a guide on understanding your Psu since I am going to try to oc my CPU and I must be using the wrong keywords.

I keep getting how to know your psu is dead lol.

I am trying to see if my psu is up to it.
Would help if you listed your specs so we know what power supply you have and everything that's drawing on it. Good to know the CPU and motherboard too for overclocking discussion.

Sarcasm

Would help if you listed your specs so we know what power supply you have and everything that's drawing on it. Good to know the CPU and motherboard too for overclocking discussion.

I have:

I7 3770K
Asus P8 Z77-V LK
Crosair CX750 — 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified Power Supply
16GB of DDR3-1600
TM Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler

**So looking at the memory I have at hand both are from Kingston hyperx Genesis.

2x 8GB at 1.65v and 2x 16GB at 1.35v. Assuming both are DDR3.

Which set to use? I am assuming the 1.35v ones.

** I went with the 16GB.

Crisium

The 370 is not even a significant performance upgrade over a 6970, believe it or not, although it would have much more compatibility in modern games.

If you must upgrade now (I don't blame you with your 5+ year old GPU) get the 390. It will likely have better longevity than the 970, since that is a chief concern of yours. There are several models cheaper than that though:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=311&sort=a8&page=1

So I really want to finally take the plunge into PC gaming. However, I don't have room for a desktop set-up, so I'll be playing via my living room TV. I guess what I need is a Steam Machine but those things seem overpriced for what they offer (and this is coming from someone who knows next to nothing about PC specs) and I'd be best off just getting a tower to put by my TV. I don't want anything too powerful, just as long as it can run most games respectably, and am looking to spend as little money as I can.

Do I build, do I buy pre-built? I have zero clue when it comes to this kind of stuff; what really puts one PC ahead of another, etc.

Looking around just to get an idea of pricing, etc. I found what seems like an OK new rig on eBay at what seems like a decent price (£293 down from £495) here.

But again I'm clueless and could be completely wrong.

What do, gaf?

Sorry, what do you mean using your phone? I tried googling USB drive created on phone and related terms, but don't think I understand what to look out for.
Honestly, at this point, ask to use a friend's or neighbor's computer and make the boot drive. Everything else you can't get to work or is too complicated.

So I really want to finally take the plunge into PC gaming. However, I don't have room for a desktop set-up, so I'll be playing via my living room TV. I guess what I need is a Steam Machine but those things seem overpriced for what they offer (and this is coming from someone who knows next to nothing about PC specs) and I'd be best off just getting a tower to put by my TV. I don't want anything too powerful, just as long as it can run most games respectably, and am looking to spend as little money as I can.

Do I build, do I buy pre-built? I have zero clue when it comes to this kind of stuff; what really puts one PC ahead of another, etc.

Looking around just to get an idea of pricing, etc. I found what seems like an OK new rig on eBay at what seems like a decent price (£293 down from £495) here.

What do, gaf?

Read the OP

Sarcasm

What do, gaf?

What you should do is build one. It isn't too hard and its rewarding. You can choose parts that they list in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom