• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, question from the last page: I have a SSD and a HDD. I installed Windows to the SSD for boot up speeds and plan on saving everything else to the HDD - but I unsure of how to set up the partition in Disk Management (Windows 10). Any pointers?

Also, I didn't know it wasn't set at first and accidentally installed Office to the SSD as well. I can migrate this to the HDD once set up correct?

LilJoka

Well, the Voltage is set to adaptive. I have seen it hit 1.21 volts on default frequency when using Prime95.
Memtest is running error free.

I just want to mention that even when I have set the Number of Workers to 1, they fail in Prime 95, and if 2, both fail and when 3 or More... they work 3 onward.

I just want to headache to be over. Would be nice to sort this out.

One question that is concerning is, does Intel Ship a processor to you and then you have 30 days to return? because I think onetime I did an RMA on the Hard Drive and I gave them my Credit Card Number while doing RMA so I could get the HDD as fast as possible. The condition was if you do not return in 30 days they charge you for the hard drive.

- NO Error at ALL with any instance of the MemTest. ... still running.

Should I close the MemTest instances? or let them run. They all are error free.

Sounds like a CPU issue to me. Yes you can close memtest.
Just call Intel i guess. Not many will know the answers to these questions since its rare. Sounds like core 0 is dead, causing thread 0 and 1 to always fail. Im surprised the PC is even stable running the desktop. Does it crash with Youtube or general tasks? BSOD?

Max_Po

Banned
Sounds like a CPU issue to me. Yes you can close memtest.
Just call Intel i guess. Not many will know the answers to these questions since its rare. Sounds like core 0 is dead, causing thread 0 and 1 to always fail. Im surprised the PC is even stable running the desktop. Does it crash with Youtube or general tasks? BSOD?

Yes, I do get BSOD with wierd errors.

For instance if I have some programs steady and I start a game all of a sudden... BOOM.

BAD POOL or some other BSOD errors....

Selling my PC if anyone is interested

Guys I am selling my PC for £400 [Paypal Gift or collection in Manchester] in the UK

I5 4690K/Cooler master hyper 212 evo cooler
Asus Z97-P
MSI 7950 3GB TWIN FROZR
8GB RAM
Corsair GS600 PSU
120GB Samsung SSD
1TB HDD
XBOX 360 Controller for Windows
Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

image.jpg

image_2.jpg

PM if interested

I think you are referring to the 780 or 780 ti, since the 580 was just a 1.5gb card.

Which you could use a 650 or 600 (minimum) I'd at least get the 650. (If it's a 780/780ti)

Try verifying the model of the card first though.

There was definitely a 3gb 580. Had it in my system for years. Here's the model.

https://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/MSI/GTX_580_Lightning_Extreme_Edition/1.html

Guessing 650w just to be safe since it's a little more demanding being slightly OC by default?

Hey guys, question from the last page: I have a SSD and a HDD. I installed Windows to the SSD for boot up speeds and plan on saving everything else to the HDD - but I unsure of how to set up the partition in Disk Management (Windows 10). Any pointers?

Also, I didn't know it wasn't set at first and accidentally installed Office to the SSD as well. I can migrate this to the HDD once set up correct?

Any time you install anything it will tell you the location first, just make sure youre changing it to the right drive before installing.

Any time you install anything it will tell you the location first, just make sure youre changing it to the right drive before installing.

Well, currently, when I look in my file explorer, the HDD doesn't even appear - I think I need to make a partition in it? I'm not sure how to go about doing that though. :(

While installing the Intel stock cooler on my desktop's motherboard after taking the usual one out for cleaning, necessitating a rinse and drying that will take quite a while, I accidentally left a thin strand of thermal paste from the CPU socket all the way to the motherboard chipset heatsink while trying to reposition the CPU cooler. I was using the tube of paste bundled with the TX3 EVO instead of my usual, to minimize use of my usual thermal paste.

Said streak were on a bunch of electrical components, and likely the Channel A RAM slots on the motherboard.

After repeated cleaning attempts (which appear to make the motherboard clean), the computer does still work as a whole... but neither Channel A slots work anymore. Lovely single-channel mode with a 2x8 DDR3-1866 kit... Half the memory bandwidth!

I guess I've managed to partially hose my motherboard and need servicing, no? Oh well. (Speaking of which, what's a "decent" H81/B85/H87/H97 motherboard to tide me over?)

RGM79

Thanks! Any particular reason? I've been googling it and it says MBR is more widely accepted and works with BIOS?

See here,
but the gist is that GPT is newer and better. MBR is for when you need the hard drive to be readable on older PCs running older versions of Windows.

Ok so I just installed my new power supply. One of the sata leads went into another lead that had 1 black and red wire. They connected together if that makes sense. My problem is I could of swore I only pulled this wire out and not one connected to my hard drive. I'm guessing this is wrong as the hard drive would need a sata connector. Everything has booted up fine but didn't the first time when I only put a sata lead in the one with black and red wires and not the hard drive (seems obvious). If this other lead is to nothing which I'm sure it was to something, can I do any damage to the PC or the fact it starts up fine is an indicator everything is OK.

What lead are you talking about that only has two wires? Can you show us a picture? try to figure out what the lead goes to. I doubt you have damaged your computer, everything is likely alright.

While installing the Intel stock cooler on my desktop's motherboard after taking the usual one out for cleaning, necessitating a rinse and drying that will take quite a while, I accidentally left a thin strand of thermal paste from the CPU socket all the way to the motherboard chipset heatsink while trying to reposition the CPU cooler. I was using the tube of paste bundled with the TX3 EVO instead of my usual, to minimize use of my usual thermal paste.

Said streak were on a bunch of electrical components, and likely the Channel A RAM slots on the motherboard.

After repeated cleaning attempts (which appear to make the motherboard clean), the computer does still work as a whole... but neither Channel A slots work anymore. Lovely single-channel mode with a 2x8 DDR3-1866 kit... Half the memory bandwidth!

I guess I've managed to partially hose my motherboard and need servicing, no? Oh well. (Speaking of which, what's a "decent" H81/B85/H87/H97 motherboard to tide me over?)

What are your system specs again? I doubt single channel mode will seriously impact your PC that much. Try playing some games and see if it made any difference. You'll probably find little to no difference unless you're running memory benchmarks.

I need a super-cheepo hard drive to install Windows XP too—I can't partition since my Windows 10 and Hackintosh hard drives use EFI. Any suggestions?

I don't need much space at all—honestly, even 30 gb would be more than enough.

bomblord1

Banned
I need a super-cheepo hard drive to install Windows XP too—I can't partition since my Windows 10 and Hackintosh hard drives use EFI. Any suggestions?

I don't need much space at all—honestly, even 30 gb would be more than enough.

Just use a flash drive. It will be slow as molasses and probably limited to 2.0 speeds due to XP drivers but it will be less than $20 and easy to use as well as portable.

Just use a flash drive. It will be slow as molasses and probably limited to 2.0 speeds due to XP drivers but it will be less than $20 and easy to use as well as portable.

Unfortunately, I can't use USB at all. Windows XP doesn't support USB3, and the Skylake chipset doesn't support USB2. I'm using a physical install CD and a PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

What are your system specs again? I doubt single channel mode will seriously impact your PC that much. Try playing some games and see if it made any difference. You'll probably find little to no difference unless you're running memory benchmarks.

Hmm, perhaps I should try doing that, though hosed RAM slots still sound iffy to me. Perhaps I'll live with that for now, but I might get it serviced anyway, especially if I intend to expand further on RAM.

After an update, my Windows 10 PC isn't connecting to the internet - is this widespread? Not really a clear problem, and I was just able to connect yesterday.

DiscoDave

What lead are you talking about that only has two wires? Can you show us a picture? try to figure out what the lead goes to. I doubt you have damaged your computer, everything is likely alright.

I will try and figure how to get a picture on here when I'm back from work later, what image hosting sites could I use for the picture?.Anyway the lead looks a bit like the end of a sata lead, but plugs directly into a sata lead.

Really confused what it is as I know my hd and my dvd drive both have a sata lead going into them.

RGM79

I will try and figure how to get a picture on here when I'm back from work later, what image hosting sites could I use for the picture?.Anyway the lead looks a bit like the end of a sata lead, but plugs directly into a sata lead.

Really confused what it is as I know my hd and my dvd drive both have a sata lead going into them.

Imgur is popular. Any image hosting site will work.

After an update, my Windows 10 PC isn't connecting to the internet - is this widespread? Not really a clear problem, and I was just able to connect yesterday.

Hard to say, there could be many factors affecting it. Right click on the network icon in the system tray and select the troubleshooting option. If it's something simple, the troubleshooting wizard can fix it by itself.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is a ram upgrade just a straight swap? Upgrading from 8GB (2x4GB) to 16GB (2x8GB) and presuming I just turn the PC off, swap out, turn back on?

Is the 8GB worth selling? Its only DDR3 1600

Max_Po

Banned
Install BSODviewer and get a screenshot of the list of BSODs and their error codes
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

I just contacted Intel and requested a replacement.

They asked me if I can get another motherboard, I informed them that it was not possible however I did replace the RAM and same results.

Further more, I did informed them that I purchased AIDA64 which detects Hardware Failure and also Prime95 also fails.

They just asked for Serial Number and some other Code from the Box and are sending me a brand new Processor. ... Lets see if this one works better.

Max_Po

Banned
is a ram upgrade just a straight swap? Upgrading from 8GB (2x4GB) to 16GB (2x8GB) and presuming I just turn the PC off, swap out, turn back on?

Yes, although if you get getting higher frequency make sure it is set up and shows up properly in the BIOS.

rrs

Doubt it will have much value, you can get 4GB DDR3 RAM new for ~$15 USD each

Yes, although if you get getting higher frequency make sure it is set up and shows up properly in the BIOS.

yeah, most performance ram will have presets for a "safe" speed and then ask you to set the timings up to get full speed

KingBroly

Banned
Got the memory management issue for the first time in a LONG time this morning, so I might be in the market for some new ram. But I have no idea how to test it out if it's bad or not.

Now that I bought new PC parts, any thoughts on how much I should sell the following on Craigslist?

Asus Maximus Gene Z IV Motherboard
8GB DDR3 memory
I5 2500K Processor

LilJoka

Yes, I placed an order yesterday afternoon and paid 25 Us for overnight shipping.

Do you have a suggestion for max VCore for Haswell ? under water.

I would like to achieve 4.5 ghz

Take a good read here
http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

AVERAGE OC 45.39 MEDIAN OC 45.00
AVERAGE VID 1.29 MEDIAN VID 1.28

You need to balance the chips capabilities vs vcore/temps. Just play with the Vcore and Multiplier until you find you arent fighting past the chips wall. Theres no point pushing an extra 0.1v for 100mhz. I would start at a reasonable 1.30v and see how much speed you can get out of the chip. I wouldnt go over 1.40v.

Elitist1945

the NVIDIA Division promo code I got with my 980ti from NCIX is invalid. I contacted NCIX a week ago and they haven't replied. If I contacted NVIDIA would they even give a shit?

Trying to get a wireless pci network adapter for my new PC, looking through them here: Amazon.

They all seem to be in the $15-30 range, but have different mbps and what not. Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!

thundr51

Not really a hardware question but, when I had an amd card there was a way to create multiple monitor setups with a way to quickly switch between them. Anbody know if Nvidia has anything like this? Want to create a setup using my TV but it's a pain setting it up each time.

woodland

Hey all -

Just finished putting together my new build (970, i5 6500, HyperX Fury 8gb) and I was hoping someone could help. GeForce Experience recognizes 8GB of RAM but says only 2.07gb is usable. On the other hand, my DXDIAG recognizes all 8GB but says only 3737mb were used and 1587mb were used. Everything's running pretty slowly.

Any ideas? I'm dying here lol, thanks!

edit: Oh and an Asus Z170-A mobo

Edit2: Also noticed in my task manager that when I start up dota/rocket league the disk goes to 100% usage. Meanwhile my ram's at 75-95% usage almost continuously because of how little I have available

kennah

Hey all -

Just finished putting together my new build (970, i5 6500, HyperX Fury 8gb) and I was hoping someone could help. GeForce Experience recognizes 8GB of RAM but says only 2.07gb is usable. On the other hand, my DXDIAG recognizes all 8GB but says only 3737mb were used and 1587mb were used. Everything's running pretty slowly.

Any ideas? I'm dying here lol, thanks!

edit: Oh and an Asus Z170-A mobo

Edit2: Also noticed in my task manager that when I start up dota/rocket league the disk goes to 100% usage. Meanwhile my ram's at 75-95% usage almost continuously because of how little I have available
Did you install 32bit Windows? It can only use 4 gig of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom