• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh5890

This and this combined (note different settings in use per chart) would suggest that a 950 or 370 is basically "good enough" for your needs, though they'd not too future-proof, but I think it wouldn't be too much of a problem seeing as both cards are still somewhat faster than a PS4.

The 970 and 390 would last you a long time, given that they're significantly faster than an Xbox One or PS4. Really, they're kind of like 3 Xbox Ones duct taped together, and perhaps more, if you overclock them, especially the 970.

Just asking: what's your CPU and PSU? Play CPU-intensive games (which sometimes might not be obvious?)

(Also, please, try for the MSI Gaming 970 instead of the Zotac if you can help it.)

I have an AMD Phenom 964 4x and a 650w psu. I know that the cpu needs an update but I'm waiting until I get a new Mobo. I haven't decided if I want an AMD processor or an Intel processor. I've been told that my gpu needs to be upgraded sooner than my cpu/ Mobo.

Also, I try to play blops 3 with little success. I want to get rise of the tomb raider and quantum break soon.

The 370 is not even a significant performance upgrade over a 6970, believe it or not, although it would have much more compatibility in modern games.

If you must upgrade now (I don't blame you with your 5+ year old GPU) get the 390. It will likely have better longevity than the 970, since that is a chief concern of yours. There are several models cheaper than that though:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=311&sort=a8&page=1

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have an AMD Phenom 964 4x and a 650w psu. I know that the cpu needs an update but I'm waiting until I get a new Mobo. I haven't decided if I want an AMD processor or an Intel processor. I've been told that my gpu needs to be upgraded sooner than my cpu/ Mobo.

Also, I try to play blops 3 with little success. I want to get rise of the tomb raider and quantum break soon.

The 970 would be a better fit for your current CPU, and should dispense less heat.

The 390 would give you more performance, especially after you change CPUs, though it is hotter - make sure your case can exhaust heat well, lest you end up with a case-warmer. Not that the 970 is much cooler, given their TDPs are still well in excess of 150W, or 250W...

Thanks. Looking into it now.

Mini-ITX rigs can be plenty rewarding if you do it right.

Assuming budget is the primary concern, I'd probably want this as your starting point. This should come under $500 without ODD, SSD, or Windows, or any input devices.

Remember that Mini-ITX cases tend to be quite small to work in, so some of my component choices are biased towards keeping things as clean as possible. Also, my choices of components may or may not be up to your requirements, depending on how good it needs to be, but it should give you an experience better than what you'd get on a PS4, assuming no botched port job.

So, I want to upgrade my RAM to 16 GB (later on will upgrade CPU, MOBO and GFX card too)

Current CPU:
Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

Motherboard:
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VI GENE (SOCKET 1150)

RAM:
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 670MHz (9-9-9-24)

GFX:
GeForce GTX 670

Do I need to be aware of anything for getting the 16GB RAM? Like, can I get RAM that will be also good when I upgrade the MOBO, CPU later? DDR4?

Or, is best thing to do is get 2 more same RAM modules and just slot them in and really upgrade them when I upgrade rest of the PC?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So, I want to upgrade my RAM to 16 GB (later on will upgrade CPU, MOBO and GFX card too)

Current CPU:
Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

Motherboard:
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VI GENE (SOCKET 1150)

RAM:
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 670MHz (9-9-9-24)

GFX:
GeForce GTX 670

Do I need to be aware of anything for getting the 16GB RAM? Like, can I get RAM that will be also good when I upgrade the MOBO, CPU later? DDR4?

Or, is best thing to do is get 2 more same RAM modules and just slot them in and really upgrade them when I upgrade rest of the PC?
Just get 1.5V ddr3 1333 or higher
Add 2x4GB if that's what you have in now.

Can anyone point out the best way to get the audio from the PC to 2 separate devices? Basically a Vive VR headset, which would be DisplayPort, and the spectator TV which is HDMI, it would be pretty crap for spectators to get no sound. Suggestions? Cheers

Ok so I ordered those 2 Western Digital 4TB Reds from dell.ca. Noticing now that amazon has some 3rd party retailers selling them for $45 cheaper per drive. They do state that it's the OEM drive. Not sure what I'm getting from Dell.

If Dell is selling the retail box, is it worth the extra price? Or should I just skip it and go for the OEMs?

Ok well. Got my drives in from Dell. Turns out they were OEM versions also. Glad I made the decision to purchase from the 3rd Party seller on Amazon.ca. Saved $140 as that retailer was from Quebec which meant no sales tax on top of the savings on the drives themselves ($45 difference each).

Now so long as the return goes smoothly with Dell...

Thinking of taking the plunge back into PC gaming again. But I'd really like something Steam machine sized. But the GPU in something like the Alienware Alpha seems a bit weak to me?

Ideally I'd like to buy pre-built this time around. I have built PC's in the past, but the last one I built for my young cousin was a pain in the arse. It kept blue screening...went through various makes of RAM, changed GPU a couple of times etc etc and never got to the bottom of it. Can't be doing with all that fannying around again to be honest.

I just want to be able to plug something into my TV and play GTA V on close to the highest settings at 1080p.

What kind of specs should I be looking at? I can spend somewhere around £1500 I guess. Thanks for any help

So I'm building a setup out of older parts for my dad and I need some help figuring out his psu requirements. He's going to be running a z97 setup with a 4690k and an msi gtx 580ti lightning edition gpu. It's going to be relatively barebones outside of this and there's no plans to add a second gpu or any other cards.

I had a 750w setup with it but I'm wondering if he could save a little money getting a lower power psu. Advice?

ghibli99

Any consensus here on a dual-monitor stand/mount? Likely for 2 Dell 27" WQHDs. Just needs to be sturdy and relatively easy to adjust.

Thanks in advance!

Akoi

So I'm building a setup out of older parts for my dad and I need some help figuring out his psu requirements. He's going to be running a z97 setup with a 4690k and an msi gtx 580ti lightning edition gpu. It's going to be relatively barebones outside of this and there's no plans to add a second gpu or any other cards.

I had a 750w setup with it but I'm wondering if he could save a little money getting a lower power psu. Advice?

Do you mean 560ti?(no such thing as a 580ti) If so, a 650 watt should be fine or even a 600 watt. Evga makes my favorite power supplies and they come with a great warranty too.

Do you mean 560ti?(no such thing as a 580ti) If so, a 650 watt should be fine or even a 600 watt. Evga makes my favorite power supplies and they come with a great warranty too.

Ah there wasn't? For some reason I must have thought Ti due to it being the 3gb model. It must be just a standard 580 then. It's got a small overclock being the LE model but nothing too drastic. I think about 60Mhz to the core and 50Mhz over standard memory too.

LilJoka

Thinking of taking the plunge back into PC gaming again. But I'd really like something Steam machine sized. But the GPU in something like the Alienware Alpha seems a bit weak to me?

Ideally I'd like to buy pre-built this time around. I have built PC's in the past, but the last one I built for my young cousin was a pain in the arse. It kept blue screening...went through various makes of RAM, changed GPU a couple of times etc etc and never got to the bottom of it. Can't be doing with all that fannying around again to be honest.

I just want to be able to plug something into my TV and play GTA V on close to the highest settings at 1080p.

What kind of specs should I be looking at? I can spend somewhere around £1500 I guess. Thanks for any help

Try the mini ITX builds from scan.co.uk

Got a Hitman steam key from the R9-390 I just bought, and I have no interest in it. So if someone wants it, just quote this post and i'll PM you the key.

And I have no idea if its just the first episode, or all of them so dont be surprised if its just Ep 1.

Got a Hitman steam key from the R9-390 I just bought, and I have no interest in it. So if someone wants it, just quote this post and i'll PM you the key.

And I have no idea if its just the first episode, or all of them so dont be surprised if its just Ep 1.

me :p

Thanks man, enjoy your 390!

Thraktor

Have a look at the Alienware X51. It's quite a bit bigger than the Alpha, but can be configured with a GPU up to a GTX970, so for a pre-built machine that can sort of be called "console sized" it would definitely be able to hit your performance needs.

Akoi

Ah there wasn't? For some reason I must have thought Ti due to it being the 3gb model. It must be just a standard 580 then. It's got a small overclock being the LE model but nothing too drastic. I think about 60Mhz to the core and 50Mhz over standard memory too.

I think you are referring to the 780 or 780 ti, since the 580 was just a 1.5gb card.

Which you could use a 650 or 600 (minimum) I'd at least get the 650. (If it's a 780/780ti)

Try verifying the model of the card first though.

So I've spent most of today trying to get Windows XP (!) to install on my Skylake machine. I'm trying to get an old game to work.

The thing I'm stuck on at the moment is that XP says there aren't any hard drives connected. The guide I'm following says "Make sure the drive you wish to install to is plugged in to one of the Intel PCH SATA connectors", along with a note to consult your motherboard manual.

I, however, cannot find any method of which SATA connector is the "Intel PCH" one. Anyone happen to know what they're talking about? I have a MSI Z170A PCMate.

BorntoPlay

So I've spent most of today trying to get Windows XP (!) to install on my Skylake machine. I'm trying to get an old game to work.

The thing I'm stuck on at the moment is that XP says there aren't any hard drives connected. The guide I'm following says "Make sure the drive you wish to install to is plugged in to one of the Intel PCH SATA connectors", along with a note to consult your motherboard manual.

I, however, cannot find any method of which SATA connector is the "Intel PCH" one. Anyone happen to know what they're talking about? I have a MSI Z170A PCMate.

sorry, Skylake is not soported on windows XP....

So I've decided to finally put together a gaming pc for myself after years of thinking about it. I have some experience with putting together pcs as I built my grandparents a budget internet/general purpose pc late last year, but to finally hand pick and construct my own machine is so exciting to me. Here are the parts I've ordered:

CPU: Intel i5 6600K
Cpu Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
GPU: Asus Radeon R9 390 Strix
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-2400C15D-8GVR DDR4 2400MHZ 8GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM
Power Supply:EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 B2 80 PLUS BRONZE CERTIFIED 750W
Case: NZXT S340 Black w/ Red

Will take pictures of the final build!

Great work on the guide, it was really helpful even though I am in Canada so some of the pricing was much different.

Hey guys, I'm up and running! Quick question:

I have a SSD and a HDD. I installed Windows to the SSD for boot up speeds and plan on saving everything else to the HDD - but I don't see it in my file examiner. I see it in the BIOS and. I have it set up as the second boot device, but don't see it when I'm actually on the computer. Did I set it up wrong?

Thanks!

knitoe

Hey guys, I'm up and running! Quick question:

I have a SSD and a HDD. I installed Windows to the SSD for boot up speeds and plan on saving everything else to the HDD - but I don't see it in my file examiner. I see it in the BIOS and. I have it set up as the second boot device, but don't see it when I'm actually on the computer. Did I set it up wrong?

Thanks!

Go to Disk Management and creat a partition on the HDD.

In BIOS or after boot up? Thanks for the help!

Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.* Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

On the left, under Storage, click Disk Management.

Then right click on the hard disk (not the ssd) and create a partition.

daninthemix

Ordered my stuff! Made a few tweaks to the parts list. Super excited for the new build:

Asus Z170-A
i7-6700k
Noctua NH-U14S
EVGA Supernova P2 650W 80 Plus Platinum
Fractal Design Define R5
G.SKILL DDR4-3000 16GB (2 x 8)

Coming over from the old machine:

Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1TB
MSI GTX970

Going to use sysprep to transfer the old system into the new build.

Just got a recertified Acer XB270HU. Hooked it up and can only max the refresh rate at 100hz, and this was after trying to set the custom resolution in Nvidia control panel. After 102hz screen goes black.

I reinstalled vid card drivers for my gtx 780, tried different displayport cables, and still same issue. I'm hoping it's not my vid card, as I was waiting for Nvidia's next line before upgrading. Any other suggestions to try before RMAing the monitor?

Screw what I pasted, that was for win7, (just had to search disk management) anyway you found it so it's ok. Glad you got it up and running. Now go test out some games. :p

So I went into Disk Management and found how to make the partition, but this looks completely foreign to me and I'm scared of messing it up. Any pointers? Is there a walkthrough I can follow?

LordAlu

For £1,500 you could easily get a top-spec small gaming system, like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£289.98 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK PALLAS 56.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£29.32 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£71.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£112.18 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£59.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card (£528.26 @ More Computers)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case (£80.69 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£114.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (£74.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1471.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-23 17:06 GMT+0000

You could just send this list to a few places and see if they'll build it for you and how much it would be?

It's a little overkill for 1080p gaming so if you wanted to save money you could drop it to an i5-6600k, GTX 970 system as well.

rinse82

So I've decided to finally put together a gaming pc for myself after years of thinking about it. I have some experience with putting together pcs as I built my grandparents a budget internet/general purpose pc late last year, but to finally hand pick and construct my own machine is so exciting to me. Here are the parts I've ordered:

CPU: Intel i5 6600K
Cpu Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
GPU: Asus Radeon R9 390 Strix
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-2400C15D-8GVR DDR4 2400MHZ 8GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM
Power Supply:EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 B2 80 PLUS BRONZE CERTIFIED 750W
Case: NZXT S340 Black w/ Red

Will take pictures of the final build!

Great work on the guide, it was really helpful even though I am in Canada so some of the pricing was much different.

This is pretty much my exact build! Just buying the components now.

Only difference is I have a Samsung SSD, and the Supernova 650w Gold

Not sure which Motherboard and GPU I want (brand)

DEO3

Kind of an odd/specific question, but for those who own an Acer Predator XB271HU monitor, in what box did it come shipped?

As I mentioned earlier last week, I recently ordered one, and while FedEx claims it was delivered, I never received it. I immediately filed a claim with FedEx (and then soon after with NewEgg, who I purchased it from), and since then FedEx has called me a number of times to update me on the status of my claim. Every single time they apologize for how long this is taking, and tell me that they have simply been unable to get the driver to respond to them.

I live in a somewhat remote area, and so I order pretty much everything online. Generally I receive 1-2 shipments a week, and because I live on a busy yet remote street with zero foot traffic, in the 6-years I've lived here I've never had a package stolen from my front door, until now. If it's shipped in it's retail package, and the driver continues to refuse to respond to the claims department, then I'm pretty sure that's the fucker that took it.

Max_Po

Banned
Set Ram to 1600Mhz 9-9-9-28 2N 1.55v
Run Prime95 again and report results.

Thank you :)

I will try now, The Processor is set to default and "Hyper Threading" in enabled.

By the way, in Prime 95 (Prime 95 - ver 28.7 build 1) - I am running "Small FFTs"
- Number of torture test thread to run: 8 (Automatic)

Same Error, here is what it reads.

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 1024, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Torture Test Completed 0 tests in 0 minutes - 1 error, 0 warnings.
Worker Stopped.

This Error is on Working #1 and Worker # 2
- Correction I see workers 3 to 8.

I just now set everything to default and the Rams default to 1333 mhz & 1.5 volts

Same error

LilJoka

Thank you :)

I will try now, The Processor is set to default and "Hyper Threading" in enabled.

By the way, in Prime 95 (Prime 95 - ver 28.7 build 1) - I am running "Small FFTs"
- Number of torture test thread to run: 8 (Automatic)

Same Error, here is what it reads.

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 1024, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Torture Test Completed 0 tests in 0 minutes - 1 error, 0 warnings.
Worker Stopped.

This Error is on Working #1 and Worker # 2
- Correction I see workers 3 to 8.

I just now set everything to default and the Rams default to 1333 mhz & 1.5 volts

Same error

Can you run a memtest?
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
You'll need to open around 24 instances of 512mb each to test 12gb.

If that is ok for 10-20mins then check the Vcore in CPUz when Prime95 is running and report back.
Try to manually increase the vcore such that it's 0.04v higher under prime95 load.

Josh5890

Ok, now I am becoming conflicted again. I have also been given the suggestion of upgrading my mobo and cpu now and waiting a few months to upgrade my GPU when Polaris comes out, (which is the exact opposite of what I planned earlier lol). Their argument is that I should upgrade my 965 now, and then pick up a Polaris in the future since it will come out with better performance for the same price or close to it. Right now I have two options in my head:

Option #1- Purchase an R9 390 now for $320~ and get a new mobo/cpu in a few months time (probably July-ish depending on how the new job will be
I'm so excited to be graduating in May
).

Option #2- Purchase a CPU and mobo now for roughly the same price and get a fancy shiny new video card when it releases. Here is what I'm looking at for a cpu/mobo combo...

Asus Z97-E http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132512&cm_re=z97-_-13-132-512-_-Product

i5 4690K- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPRWB9G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The reason I am leaning towards this is because I've been told that intel tends to be more future proof, and thanks to the news from Intel this morning that seems to be true. Also, I purchased 16 GB of DDR3 ram back in November with the intention of using it in my next build. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WAGGUK/?tag=neogaf0e-20 That is why I am leaning towards getting this combo since it would support DDR3 ram, and obviously save me money. I don't want to spend a dime more on this combo and this is really pushing it. I don't mind it though if it will last me a good five years at least.
Am I being too unrealistic?

So now I'm kind of split on what to do. I guess my question is would it be smart to buy a brand new video card right as it launches? I've never bought computer hardware at launch and I am afraid that I will get a card when it comes out and there are problems with it. Does AMD usually have launch problems or would I be fairly safe?

Or should I just go with my original route and get the R9 390 now? Just so you all know I really appreciate any and all input that I receive. You are all more knowledgeable than me when it comes to this stuff. :) Thanks

DiscoDave

Ok so I just installed my new power supply. One of the sata leads went into another lead that had 1 black and red wire. They connected together if that makes sense. My problem is I could of swore I only pulled this wire out and not one connected to my hard drive. I'm guessing this is wrong as the hard drive would need a sata connector. Everything has booted up fine but didn't the first time when I only put a sata lead in the one with black and red wires and not the hard drive (seems obvious). If this other lead is to nothing which I'm sure it was to something, can I do any damage to the PC or the fact it starts up fine is an indicator everything is OK.

Max_Po

Banned
Can you run a memtest?
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
You'll need to open around 24 instances of 512mb each to test 12gb.

If that is ok for 10-20mins then check the Vcore in CPUz when Prime95 is running and report back.
Try to manually increase the vcore such that it's 0.04v higher under prime95 load.

Okay, I will try, Currently via HWiNFO I see max vcore voltage of 1.21 and it is only hitting 3900 mhz core during test.

I am testing it, I see that the CORE Voltage is only hovering around 1.046 volts and the CPU is around 3450 mhz.

Is this correct ?

LilJoka

Okay, I will try, Currently via HWiNFO I see max vcore voltage of 1.21 and it is only hitting 3900 mhz core during test.

It should be 3500mhz when prime95 is running at 100% load. Most boards enable some auto oc, check that it is not enabled in the bios. Asus calls it multi core enhancement, even if its AUTO it's enabled, need to disable it.

Max_Po

Banned
It should be 3500mhz when prime95 is running at 100% load. Most boards enable some auto oc, check that it is not enabled in the bios. Asus calls it multi core enhancement, even if its AUTO it's enabled, need to disable it.

Alright, I will disable it. Yes, the cpu frequency is around 3500 mhz.

Should the Uncore also be 3500 mhz ? I am running the Memtest, so far no errors.

Does this look like a bad processor to you? Thanks for your help :)

- No errors so far on the MemTest instances.

_ I have checked Intel's Site and I have warranty till Jan 2018. Does intel offer you a new processor? Would suck to get another shit unit.

LilJoka

Alright, I will disable it.

Yes it is around 3500.

Should the Uncore also be 3500 mhz ?

I am running the Memtest, so far no errors.

Does this look like a bad processor to you?

Thanks for your help :)

- No errors so far on the MemTest instances.

Is this a bad processor: : Thats what im trying to figure out, thing is they RARELY fail. And they tend to either work or not. Now i had a case where a PC would actually randomly reboot due to a faulty CPU. So odd things can happen, this is easier to diagnose, but we literally need to rule out everything. If its is a faulty CPU, Intel are pretty good and sort sort it out with little to no questions asked.

If memtest is not throwing any errors, and Prime95 is producing errors at 3500Mhz CPU speed then its likely the CPU. We should now increase the VCore to see if we can "fix" it. That would be final confirmation.

Max_Po

Banned
Is this a bad processor: : Thats what im trying to figure out, thing is they RARELY fail. And they tend to either work or not. Now i had a case where a PC would actually randomly reboot due to a faulty CPU. So odd things can happen, this is easier to diagnose, but we literally need to rule out everything. If its is a faulty CPU, Intel are pretty good and sort sort it out with little to no questions asked.

If memtest is not throwing any errors, and Prime95 is producing errors at 3500Mhz CPU speed then its likely the CPU. We should now increase the VCore to see if we can "fix" it. That would be final confirmation.

Well, the Voltage is set to adaptive. I have seen it hit 1.21 volts on default frequency when using Prime95.
Memtest is running error free.

I just want to mention that even when I have set the Number of Workers to 1, they fail in Prime 95, and if 2, both fail and when 3 or More... they work 3 onward.

I just want to headache to be over. Would be nice to sort this out.

One question that is concerning is, does Intel Ship a processor to you and then you have 30 days to return? because I think onetime I did an RMA on the Hard Drive and I gave them my Credit Card Number while doing RMA so I could get the HDD as fast as possible. The condition was if you do not return in 30 days they charge you for the hard drive.

- NO Error at ALL with any instance of the MemTest. ... still running.

Should I close the MemTest instances? or let them run. They all are error free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom