• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjRalford

What's the RAM speed and timings?
I'm just running on my system to compare :)

I assume you have an ITX build?

1600mhz ddr3 ripjawx cl9. 9-9-9-24

I have a fractal node 304, with the 4790k cooled by a h100i, which lives in the TV cabinet cupboard.

Let me know what you get, will be interesting to compare.

LilJoka

1600mhz ddr3 ripjawx cl9. 9-9-9-24

I have a fractal node 304, with the 4790k cooled by a h100i, which lives in the TV cabinet cupboard.

Let me know what you get, will be interesting to compare.

Im running in the Node 304 too:
i7 6700k 4.5Ghz
2x8Gb RAM 3000Mhz 14-14-14-32 1N
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
MSI GAMER GTX 970 1600/4000Mhz

Kbh7aIk.jpg

Ultra
1JON1Nk.jpg

Not sure why combined is a bit low on the default bench :S In fact its the exact same as when i had the i7 3770 @ 4.2Ghz.

DjRalford

Im running in the Node 304 too:
i7 6700k 4.5Ghz
2x8Gb RAM 3000Mhz 14-14-14-32 1N
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
MSI GAMER GTX 970 1600/4000Mhz

Not sure why combined is a bit low on the default bench :S In fact its the exact same as when i had the i7 3770 @ 4.2Ghz.

oL9Up7m.jpg

Ultra

pRFtxFV.jpg

Gartikker

A question to you guys - How reputable is Asrock as far as motherboards go? I'm building a budget case and have B150M PRO4S in chosen build at the moment.

DieH@rd

Banned
I've decided to not do full Intel upgrade of my FX8350 machine, I will wait for Zen and decide then.

However, as I have regular TDM issues that are introduced most likely by mobo, I'm currently thinking on moving to more spacious case with new mobo and PSU. A nice refresh before arrival of Polaris 10 :)

Current shopping list:
~60€ ASROCK 970 Pro3 R2.0
~87€ HyperX 16GB Savage DDR3 2400MHz KIT CL11 [HX324C11SRK2/16]
~85€ EVGA Supernova 550 G2 550W

Can anyone confirm me that this RAM will work OK with full speed on this mobo? Asrock mobo page lists only initially-supported RAM models [my model is not there], but in Jan 2016 they released BIOS update to enhance memory compatibility. Should I be worried?

Also, I never looked closely at RAM configuration steps. Will everything get detected and set automatically, or will I need to tweak it manually?

Smilax

Your Current Specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz

Video Card Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500

Video Card #2 NVIDIA GeForce 840M

RAM 8.0 GB

1TB HDD

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit

This is a laptop sooo, you know just wanna have a desktop now.

Budget: $1200 in the USA

Main Use: Mostly gaming, wanna play the newest games with my friends (Overwatch, DS3, ect.)

Monitor Resolution: Don't have a monitor, but i'm not much of a fan on a HUGE monitor.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Overwatch, Dota 2, Dark Souls 3 at least on 60FPS on High settings

Looking to reuse any parts?: Don't have any parts, first time gaming PC buyer

When will you build?: Don't have a time limit, but I would like to have all the pieces by my Birthday (July)
Will you be overclocking?: I don't know what it means, but sure why not

AkumaNiko

Is there a decent 32" tv monitor i could use rather than paying an arm and a leg for an actual 32" PC monitor? I know there are a few 1080p tv's out there.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have both a Logitech MX518 and a Logitech G400s.
I like the new sensor of the G400s but I want to keep the metallic part of the shell from my MX518. Has anyone here ever done this swap?

I'm trying to find examples online and just saw these 2:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?101670-Cronic-s-custom-painted-MX518
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...mx518-logitech-mouse-carbon-fiber-effect.html

But from what I remember taking one apart years ago, it wasn't easy to separate the black part of the shell from the colored part.
Specifically, I'm trying to swap / remove this piece only:
GG0ACOt.jpg

Has anyone done this?

_BtB_

Is it worth it to upgrade now?
this is what I have atm

Intel Core i5-2500K @ stock
GIGABYTE P67A-UD4-B3
16GB of gskill memory
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970

I do not do any streaming or intensive cpu work, just gaming.
I mostly play WoW,Killer Instinct, some fps games

Or would it be better to just overclock my cpu and save the money? just looking for more fps in my games, especially WoW. Thanks

L.O.R.D

hi
my friend is asking me for a help to make his first PC , range between $1300 and $1500
CPU i7 6700K
what other parts he should get? keep in mind there is shipping cost.
for GPU he is thinking to get it later because he is thinking to get 1070 or 1080 later,but still the overall cost for all parts should not exceed $1500.

Ok, so I decided to return my HP deal and I am going to build my own PC. I have everything but the graphics card in my cart for $725 (6700k, Asus Z170, 16GB DDR4, 650W). Will be using integrated until the 1080 is realeased. The question is if I am going to need to order any odds and ends? I have a CPU cooler, but I am thinking about thermal paste, cords, anything like that.

OraleeWey

Ok, so I decided to return my HP deal and I am going to build my own PC. I have everything but the graphics card in my cart for $725 (6700k, Asus Z170, 16GB DDR4, 650W). Will be using integrated until the 1080 is realeased. The question is if I am going to need to order any odds and ends? I have a CPU cooler, but I am thinking about thermal paste, cords, anything like that.

Probably not. The CPU cooler should come with thermal paste. As for cords, you may need some fan Y splitters depending on how many fans you intend to use. But you probably won't need anything.

Probably not. The CPU cooler should come with thermal paste. As for cords, you may need some fan Y splitters depending on how many fans you intend to use. But you probably won't need anything.

Ok, awesome! Thank you. It's been about 10 years since I've built one myself. Pretty surprised how cheap this will turn out. Close to $1300 with the 1080, which is what I originally paid for the HP deal.

Izcarielo

Banned
Soooo, im thinking on buying a gtx1080 but my cpu is an i7 2600. Will I have any bottlenecks at all?
My monitor resolution es 1080p if that counts

Realized last night that we have a hand vac that doubles as a blower, so I just spent a good hour cleaning and reseating everything in my PC, which hasn't been done in at least a year. Feels good man

DjRalford

Is it worth it to upgrade now?
this is what I have atm

Intel Core i5-2500K @ stock
GIGABYTE P67A-UD4-B3
16GB of gskill memory
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970

I do not do any streaming or intensive cpu work, just gaming.
I mostly play WoW,Killer Instinct, some fps games

Or would it be better to just overclock my cpu and save the money? just looking for more fps in my games, especially WoW. Thanks

I'd just boost the 2500k, it's a more than capable processor for your needs.

OraleeWey

Ok, awesome! Thank you. It's been about 10 years since I've built one myself. Pretty surprised how cheap this will turn out. Close to $1300 with the 1080, which is what I originally paid for the HP deal.

Yeah man. You'll be in for a great surprise in terms of performance. So are you gonna lay it out? You have a pcpartpicker? I would love to see your parts/build.

DieH@rd

Banned
In my PC for 2 years I have installed single "Kingston HyperX Blue KHX1600C10D3B1/8G 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL10" RAM stick, and now that I want to add another one, I found myself in kinda trouble. In my country, this exact model of RAM is very hard to find, and it's price is almost twice of other [newer] 1600mhz CL10 HyperX sticks from Kingston.

Is there any other stick on the market that I can safely pair it with my stick to activate dual channel mode?

Muzy72

Banned
Okay I took some of the feedback from when I posted the build I was looking at earlier and made some adjustments. First off, here's the questionnaire in the OP:

• Your Current Specs: literal poop
  • Budget: ~$2500 USD, including monitor
  • Main Use: Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 5, Video Editing 4, Streaming games in HD 4, 3D/Model work (and what program) N/A, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.
  • Monitor Resolution: 1440p probably. Looking for monitor suggestions as well!
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Main game I'm looking to play is Overwatch. 60fps is what I'm looking at, at max settings, but if it's possible maybe even 120?? I pretty much NEED 60fps though. Also, I play a lot of Japanese games so Dark Souls III is another big one. And eventually Final Fantasy XV. Another big thing for me is VR. Need my VR experience to be perfect!
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: Starting from scratch
  • When will you build?: May 26-30th (can't be later)
  • Will you be overclocking?: Maybe?

Now here's my current build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jDqRNG

There's no graphics card listed, but I'm almost definitely going to get the GTX 1080. Now few questions:

• Getting an 850W PSU, (specifically this) but my friend who is building the PC for me is convinced I need this. Says I'll never have to worry about anything and it'll be super quiet. Is it worth it? It was on my original list but everyone said it was overkill. Also, will 850W be fine?
  • I don't really know what case to get! Recommendations would be great.
  • Need a monitor, currently looking at this.
  • Almost certainly going to get a GTX 1080, but it might not be available when I build it? A friend of mine is building it with me, but I'll be on my own after that. How easy will it be for a nub like me to put in the graphics card myself later? Also, until I get the graphics card, will the integrated graphics card on the 6700k be enough to at least play Overwatch?
  • Do I need a sound card?
  • Do I have enough USB ports!? Oculus Rift apparently need 3 USB 3.0 ports an 1 USB 2.0, then I have my mouse and keyboard, a controller, and who knows what else!
  • Finally, I'm building this PC in another state. What will be the easiest/cheapest way for me to take it back home, shipping it or taking it my luggage? How heavy is this thing??

Thanks in advance for any help! Sorry if I sound stupid in any of the above, I'm completely new to this. I don't really know what I'm talking about!

Vaettir

There's no graphics card listed, but I'm almost definitely going to get the GTX 1080. Now few questions:

• Getting an 850W PSU, (specifically this) but my friend who is building the PC for me is convinced I need this. Says I'll never have to worry about anything and it'll be super quiet. Is it worth it? It was on my original list but everyone said it was overkill. Also, will 850W be fine?
  • Almost certainly going to get a GTX 1080, but it might not be available when I build it? A friend of mine is building it with me, but I'll be on my own after that. How easy will it be for a nub like me to put in the graphics card myself later? Also, until I get the graphics card, will the integrated graphics card on the 6700k be enough to at least play Overwatch?
  • Finally, I'm building this PC in another state. What will be the easiest/cheapest way for me to take it back home, shipping it or taking it my luggage? How heavy is this thing??

Thanks in advance for any help! Sorry if I sound stupid in any of the above, I'm completely new to this. I don't really know what I'm talking about!

1. You don't need a 850W PSU to run this kind of rig especially with a 1080. At most you need would be a 600W to cover any kind of overclocking. Having a higher wattage would keep the load on the PSU low enough for the fan to spin less but you would never make your investment back on it if you can't push workload.
2. The VG248QE is a fine monitor for the price. Though the refresh model (MG248Q) is soon to release with Freesync support and the new stylish stand. https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MG248Q/
3. The 1080 uses a single 8-pin connector. Means all you need is one cable to attach it when installing to the board. Less cables the better for cable management.
4. If you wanted to transport this easier, I would suggest you moving to a MATX or even MITX board and find a case to fit those. A computer is only heavy as the amount of stuff you can cram into it.

ISee

Okay I took some of the feedback from when I posted the build I was looking at earlier and made some adjustments. First off, here's the questionnaire in the OP:

• Your Current Specs: literal poop
  • Budget: ~$2500 USD, including monitor
  • Main Use: Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 5, Video Editing 4, Streaming games in HD 4, 3D/Model work (and what program) N/A, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.
  • Monitor Resolution: 1440p probably. Looking for monitor suggestions as well!
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Main game I'm looking to play is Overwatch. 60fps is what I'm looking at, at max settings, but if it's possible maybe even 120?? I pretty much NEED 60fps though. Also, I play a lot of Japanese games so Dark Souls III is another big one. And eventually Final Fantasy XV. Another big thing for me is VR. Need my VR experience to be perfect!
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: Starting from scratch
  • When will you build?: May 26-30th (can't be later)
  • Will you be overclocking?: Maybe?

• Do I need a sound card?
  • Do I have enough USB ports!? Oculus Rift apparently need 3 USB 3.0 ports an 1 USB 2.0, then I have my mouse and keyboard, a controller, and who knows what else!

I don't want to sound harsh but did you just sort by price when choosing your mobo (without even reading the specs)?
1.) Your $30 dollar Wi-Fi adapter is unnecessary. The mobo already has an integrated WiFi module on it.
2.) Is there a reason for two Lan ports?
3.) Your mobo has an integrated Creative Labs Soundcard, no need for another one.
4.) 2x USB 2.0, 7xUSB3.0, 2xUSB 3.1 on the backside + several internal USB connectors (e.g. for use with a frontpanel in your case). That's a lot of USB connectivity.
5.) Do you seriously need 10 SATA 3 Ports for your 3 drives?
Don't get me wrong it's a great mobo, but you don't seem to need half of the stuff on there.

1200W are way too much. Does your friend seriously think we'll need more than double the amount of power in the future? 1200W and even 850W PSUs are mostly designed for multi GPU systems. For your need 550W are already enough. Go for 600W if you really want to, but everything above is unnecessary.

Yes your PC will be heavy.

The Intel integrated HD 530 GPU may be able to run overwatch at 60 fps if you're willing to turn down the settings and resolution.

Installing a video card is easy.

kennah

I returned the XB270HU. Beautiful beautiful monitor. Just can't afford it and my computer doesn't have quite enough grunt.

I'm gonna puke. Should have kept it :p

Yeah man. You'll be in for a great surprise in terms of performance. So are you gonna lay it out? You have a pcpartpicker? I would love to see your parts/build.

Newegg_Build.png

This is what I've got so far. I already have a HDD, so don't need that. I am returning this HP deal, which reinvigorated my love for PC gaming, but I'd like it to be more of my own/customizable in the future. That being said, I am also trying to keep the price in the same area. Will grab a 1080 when they drop.

Bloodember

A question to you guys - How reputable is Asrock as far as motherboards go? I'm building a budget case and have B150M PRO4S in chosen build at the moment.
Asrock is makes good motherboards, I'm using one of there mITX boards now. Only issues that many people have is with new boards their bios's are buggy in the begining.

Watup pc gaf, I have an i7 3770k stock and a 7970, looking to upgrade to the gtx 1080, should I get a 1070 instead? will my processor hold the 1080 back too much? I game on a 1080p 144hz monitor. Is it time to finally over clock this processor? Lol

Vaettir

Watup pc gaf, I have an i7 3770k stock and a 7970, looking to upgrade to the gtx 1080, should I get a 1070 instead? will my processor hold the 1080 back too much? I game on a 1080p 144hz monitor. Is it time to finally over clock this processor? Lol

A lot of people asking about bottlenecks lol. Your 3770k will be fine with either 1070 or 1080 especially at 1080/144.

Mattiator

Hey everyone, you all helped me build my pc 4 years ago. :) Still running great.
Quick question if I am going to upgrade my gpu im still using a 660 oc. Should.I also upgrade my cpu i5 3570k....
I live in Canada and have kids so I cant break the bank too bad but am looking at the 1070....
Would it be worth it to grab that gpu or just wait and start from scratch again.

RedSwirl

Huh. Just took a look at my RAM speed for the first time (bought it in 2013).

tpLgnFA.jpg

Is just that the current speed or what the stock speed is supposed to be? I've been hearing that the minimum most people get is like 1600.

Is just that the current speed or what the stock speed is supposed to be? I've been hearing that the minimum most people get is like 1600.

Maybe your mobo is holding you back or it's not configured to unlock the full speed. Should be 800Mhz (2x=1600).

q4zhbJe.jpg

I got some hand-me-down generic memory from an uncle, so it's not all that good I guess and am using a Gigabyte Z97-D3H-CF motherboard.

ethomaz

Banned
Oh ok thats pretty odd but guess it explains it.
Your kit is rated 16-18-18-38-2N 1.35v, so if you do run manually at 3000Mhz start at 16-17-17-36-2N.

These are quite loose timings really though, im running 3000Mhz 14-14-14-32 1N with G.Skill Tridents. Need to balance latency and bandwidth really.
Well it is working with 3000Mhz...

Instead to set all the options manually I just choose Profile 1 and decreased System Memory Multiplier to 30 (32 was default for 3200).

Why I did that? Because I need to chance too many things I didn't know like voltage... the default setthings of this memory are listed below:

No Profile:
Multiplier > 21.33
Voltage > 1.20
CAS > 15
tRCD > 15
tRP > 15
tRAS > 35

Profile 1:
Multiplier > 32 (I changed to 30 for workable 3000Mhz)
Voltage > 1.35
CAS > 16
tRCD > 18
tRP > 18
tRAS > 38

Maybe I can get something better with manual setthings?

Vaettir

Hey everyone, you all helped me build my pc 4 years ago. :) Still running great.
Quick question if I am going to upgrade my gpu im still using a 660 oc. Should.I also upgrade my cpu i5 3570k....
I live in Canada and have kids so I cant break the bank too bad but am looking at the 1070....
Would it be worth it to grab that gpu or just wait and start from scratch again.

You can still get some mileage out of your 3570k if you OC it. You'll be fine on upgrading to a 1070 without much of a bottleneck.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm trying to figure the best setthings for my memory and I decided to not increase voltage...

Multiplier > 28 (2800Mhz)
Voltage > 1.20
CAS > 15
tRCD > 15
tRP > 15
tRAS > 35

I guess that is the best I can get without increase voltages. How can I streess the memory to see if it is stable?

Can I go with lower latencies?

ISee

Going from a 660 to a 1070 is a huge jump. So yes it's worth to grab the 1070. Your performance will rise dramatically even without upgrading your 3570k.
Still, yes the 3570k will start to bottleneck you.

But most of the time there is no need to build from scratch. You can keep your hard drives, (most probably) your PSU, your case, even your CPU cooler etc. Also old PC stuff sells well on ebay. I was able to get ~€240 for my i5 3570k+mobo+ram (a new i5 6600k costs €230) last week. Or you can get the 1070, save up some money and then upgrade your CPU in 6 months or a year. There is no need to rush it.

manfestival

bought the 970 around christmas for 250... it feels like maybe I should have gotten something second hand and gotten the 1070 instead. I still cannot justify the 1080 and the price of the 970 does feel a tad high too for my wallet at least

ISee

bought the 970 around christmas for 250... it feels like maybe I should have gotten something second hand and gotten the 1070 instead. I still cannot justify the 1080 and the price of the 970 does feel a tad high too for my wallet at least

A 970 for 250 is a good deal and it's not like your 970 will start to perform bad just because a new gpu generation is about to hit. Enjoy your games in 1080p/60 at high details (even in a year from now).

Joco

And your specs?
Overclocked anything?

Sorry for the late reply.

Not overclocking anything. I should also add that I tried the recovery option and reset from the administrative options as was suggested by some of the google search results I found. However the problem isn't fixed as I started up a game of League of Legends and was presented with another blue screen saying "error memory management", which forced me to restart again. Combined with the IRQL_not_equal_or_less error and the "a critical process died error", not sure if this has something to do with the registry or drivers? I'm not a PC expert by any means so pardon if I sound like an idiot.

Specs are:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tXWc6h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tXWc6h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($84.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($269.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1489.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-09 02:04 EDT-0400

LilJoka

I'm trying to figure the best setthings for my memory and I decided to not increase voltage...

Multiplier > 28 (2800Mhz)
Voltage > 1.20
CAS > 15
tRCD > 15
tRP > 15
tRAS > 35

I guess that is the best I can get without increase voltages. How can I streess the memory to see if it is stable?

Can I go with lower latencies?

Well just try lower timings and see if it boots.
2800mhz CL15 is still kind of loose. No harm in 1.35v VDIMM.

You should fix the VCCSA and VCCIO as in AUTO they can be over volted a lot. Start at 1.1v on each.

The best way to test stability is using a Linux Mint ISO and running Google stress app test. You'll find details in the overclock.net Skylake memory oc thread.

Sorry for the late reply.

Not overclocking anything. I should also add that I tried the recovery option and reset from the administrative options as was suggested by some of the google search results I found. However the problem isn't fixed as I started up a game of League of Legends and was presented with another blue screen saying "error memory management", which forced me to restart again. Combined with the IRQL_not_equal_or_less error and the "a critical process died error", not sure if this has something to do with the registry or drivers? I'm not a PC expert by any means so pardon if I sound like an idiot.

If XMP is enabled in bios, disable it.
Sounds like RAM issues to me. Download HCI memtest (you'll have to run multiple instances and test 2048mb per instance) to stress test the ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom