• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

why is DDR2 memory so expensive? anyone know where I can get a decent price for 4GB (DDR2 PC2-5300,ECC) from? has to be 2 sticks totaling 4GB for an older dell.

Because it hasn`t been manufactured in many many years? You'd be buying old stock that stores bought at high prices a long time ago. Your best bet is getting it used.

Palom

It looks like this will fit and is about $20 cheaper than another H60.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077POH8M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Here's how it performs. I had one in a previous build and it never made any discernable noise.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-profile-heat-sink-mini-itx,3639-19.html

Just make sure it won't interfere with your RAM.
That does look nice, and I think it would fit, but unfortunately Amazon doesn't carry it. Since I need my PC for work, I'm trying to get something ordered tonight so I can have it delivered on Sunday (has to be sold by Amazon and not fulfilled by for that). I do appreciate the help, though.

Man, heard such great things about IKEA and their desks. Found a couple that I like and wanted to check the total at checkout...

HOLY SHIT

They want $300 shipping for $170 desk lol GTFO

Anywhere else online someone would recommend I shop for a new desk that doesn't charge an arm an leg for shipping?

Man, heard such great things about IKEA and their desks. Found a couple that I like and wanted to check the total at checkout...

HOLY SHIT

They want $300 shipping for $170 desk lol GTFO

Anywhere else online someone would recommend I shop for a new desk that doesn't charge an arm an leg for shipping?

Jeez how far away is your "local" ikea? I'm gonna get a desk from them. Desk is £130 and cost £35 delivery but I'm gonna just drive and get it myself.

Sevenfold

How long has it been since you upgraded from Windows 7? It sounds like you did a clean installation.

Why do you need the Windows 7 serial again?

Mid August from 7 home premium went the upgrade route. Now on W10 and this aft when I take it all apart it's going to be non activated on reinstall (full clean install) I can't find my W7 key but have contacted the right department after being bounced around for a bit and they are 'trying to find it from my receipt/order number'.

Ferrio

Banned
Parts came in. Think it was the first time I ever assembled a PC and the first boot everything went perfect. Case way better than my ancient Lian Li too. Still have a bit of buyers remorse for the 1080P gsync monitor, but I really wasn't going to shell out 800 for the 1440p version.

Sevenfold

I've created a bootable USB with Windows 10 on it and have been prompted to have the key ready for install. Can I get into W10 before I have to enter the key?

GnawtyDog

Banned
Of course, but you need to get your key if you don't have it (like if you just upgraded from within 7 to 10) which you can find with this tool, and you need to make a Windows 10 installer which you can do with this thing here. You may also want to make sure you've got at least your network adapter drivers handy just in case.

I was under the impression an upgrade from W7 OEM gets you no W10 keys. Doing a clean W10 install (on a new drive) if this is the case can be a bit of a pain since W10 will ask for a key pre-install. Like it's happening to sevenfold....

If you have a W7,W8 retail copy/key then it should be no problem.
------------------------------------------------------
By Black Friday I should have a new build with a small form factor case. It's going to be fun seeing how cheap I can get a $700 build currently during the holidays. Hunting deals is going to be crazy.

Sevenfold

I was under the impression an upgrade from W7 OEM gets you no W10 keys. Doing a clean W10 install (on a new drive) if this is the case can be a bit of a pain since W10 will ask for a key pre-install. Like it's happening to sevenfold....

If you have a W7,W8 retail copy/key then it should be no problem.

It's the only thing holding me up. Parts have arrived this morn (the mobo is a thing of beauty) though the CPU packaging was worryingly damaged inside packaging is fine and CPU 'looks' pristine. Honestly thought ram was missing. When did CPU packaging get so small(?) and my ram looks like a chocolate bar!
If someone can confirm that after USB install of W10 I can input the activation key/go through activation after I've got to the desktop that'd be great. If it's during I'm screwed and my only course of action is install W7 from disc and wait on MS support (I don't have my W7 key but I have the receipt for the physical disks from the MS store. They are obliged to give me my key right?)

Wanny

Decided to inject some (lol) money into my PC gaming setup! Going from a GTX 670 & Cheap TN monitor to a MSI GTX980 Ti GAMING 6G + Acer XB270HU. Can't wait!

Kezen

Banned
If you haven't done it yet, here's what you do.

Upgrade to 10, make sure it's activated->download the media tool and create a bootable USB that matches the specs your PC has->boot from the USB->format the SSD->install Windows 10 on it (you'll now have two Windows 10's; you could go ahead and format the HDD, but I would reccomend making sure it works ok on the SSD first)->skip when it asks you for a key, you'll already be activated->format the HDD

Thanks !

What does GAF think about the Astrogaming A30? Would be using it to game and listen to electronic music. Going to pair it with a asus xonar dgx.

Would be pickier but I wanna pick up something locally say a frys

Guys, I just bought a 970 and installed it.
I have a FX 6300 and 8GB of ram.

I installed the latest driver, but the performance is VERY lacking.

I tested Crysis 1, the game i try to play since I was a teenager (lol), and it runs at only 35fps in not really demanding areas (the first beach where you have to destroy the jamming system)

I NEED to get this to work, the GPU is EXTREMMELY expensive here in my country, like, 2 times the minimum wage.

Please, help me.

DiscoDave

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/gPhPrH

Im finally going to build a PC soon and was wondering if this build is ok and if it could be improved. I will be playing mainly CPU intensive games and don't want to overclock just yet. So have chosen the i7 for its out of the box core speed. Don't want to spend more than 560 UK pounds on the PC ( GPU and windows is not included, gpu will more than likely be a 280x till next year and refurbished windows from amazon).

Kezen

Banned
Guys, I just bought a 970 and installed it.
I have a FX 6300 and 8GB of ram.

I installed the latest driver, but the performance is VERY lacking.

I tested Crysis 1, the game i try to play since I was a teenager (lol), and it runs at only 35fps in not really demanding areas (the first beach where you have to destroy the jamming system)

I NEED to get this to work, the GPU is EXTREMMELY expensive here in my country, like, 2 times the minimum wage.

Please, help me.

Your CPU sucks, it holds back your 970.
I'm afraid there is nothing that can be done aside from lowering settings.

There is no point pairing a 970 with suck a low end CPU.

kennah

Your CPU sucks, it holds back your 970.
I'm afraid there is nothing that can be done aside from lowering settings.

There is no point pairing a 970 with suck a low end CPU.
This could have been said nicer...

But yeah, what card did you have before upgrading to the 970?

You should still see a substantial boost in performance, but anything cpu limited (like crysis) would certainly be held back.

You could try removing any amd gpu drivers from your system and try again. What resolution are you playing?

Remove everything from Radeon? Got it!

I'm playing in 1080p.

Is there a way to overclock my CPU so it can accept my GPU better?

Oemenia

Banned
Sorry guys, another bottlenecking question. I have a Q9550 and want to get a GTX 750 Ti. The link below has an exhaustive list benchmarks and it seems bottlenecking is an issue but ultimately not a game changer.

What I want to know is how will a GTX 750 Ti to a GTX 970 from the link will compare. Most importantly the GTX 750 Ti is a smaller card so Im guessing its less raw speed and more improved architecture that gives it its performance so will I be less affected?

Link

elseanio

fertygo

While his CPU does bottlenecking the card, I agree he should still see boost in other game and not gonna render the purchase a waste.. like few post that suggest that) maybe should avoid more CPU intensive game for time being.

Altarus

Neo Member
Hey!

My old friend comes to the end of his life, and I need to buy a new one.

A already ask this topic before, but now, I got the money, so time for a final check list.

The uses: Hardcore gaming (Will got a HTC Vive), Video Editing, Streaming, game developpement (Unity and Unreal Engine mainly). No upgrade for at least 3-5 years.
Monitor: 2 x 1200p, but will upgrade with 2x 1440p in 2016.
Budget: Around 2000k €
The country: France

The list I made: (update with french price)

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€395 @ Magicpc)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€147 @ Amazon.fr)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€151 @ Magicpc)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€64.99 @ Grosbill.com)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€64.99 @ Grosbill.com)
GPU: iChill Geforce GTX 980Ti Black (€779.95 @ Amazon.fr)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo ATX Full Tower Case exact ref: PH-ES813P_SRD (€236 @ caseking.de)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€181 @ Amazon.fr)
Total: €2022

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-03 17:28 CEST+0200

My concerns:

CPU Cooler: some reviews say the water-pump make some noise, other don't. If someone got one and can tell me :)
Case: if you can find me the red version in france for the same price or lower, it would be awesome.
Power supply: The price of the SeaSonic raise recently, if you got an other one with the same perf. but cheaper, I would look into it. (a corsair for example)

And, last question: Do you think this is solid? No issues ?

Thx!

GnawtyDog

Banned
It's the only thing holding me up. Parts have arrived this morn (the mobo is a thing of beauty) though the CPU packaging was worryingly damaged inside packaging is fine and CPU 'looks' pristine. Honestly thought ram was missing. When did CPU packaging get so small(?) and my ram looks like a chocolate bar!
If someone can confirm that after USB install of W10 I can input the activation key/go through activation after I've got to the desktop that'd be great. If it's during I'm screwed and my only course of action is install W7 from disc and wait on MS support (I don't have my W7 key but I have the receipt for the physical disks from the MS store. They are obliged to give me my key right?)

Yeah it doesn't look good on your end. I've yet to upgrade my OEM W7 and since I am looking to upgrade to a new build soon and donate my current rig to family, I'll probably leave W7 on it and avoid them having issues with re-installs.

For OEM users the upgrade process with no key is a joke. I tried to research a bit and found these videos (there are many similar)...it does ask you for a key before install. It does allow you to skip it too. I am not sure however what happens if you skip it and then W10 finds your hardware has no ID. Since you're doing a new build (changing motherboard no less) the specific hardware ID (or whatever its name is) of W7 OEM goes bye bye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y29WbNb_-Lw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0oUuUsH4As
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbR6XT7fcA

If you had a key however, you should be good the way you laid it out... (install W7, show receipt, recover key). It's just going to be a bit of a pain dealing with the standard Customer Service headache. Hopefully you can work it out.

New Motherboards always look soo good....it's like a shiny new toy. With all the bells and whistles and different color tones even MBs make fashion statements.

oti

Banned
Guys, I need help.

I have my PC for almost a year now I think and didn't really have issues with it until I played GTA V. All of a sudden it started freezing when I played the game. When I forced it to shut off it would give me a "choose a boot device" message or something and I couldn't do anything else. I switched off the PC with the hardware switch and after while I'd switch it on and everything was OK again. Didn't think too much of it.
Today I player Titanfall again and the same thing happened. The game wasn't as smooth as it should be and the audio started stuttering. And then it just froze again.
Just a few minutes ago I started playing Skyrim and the same thing happened, it froze.

PC never runs hot, it's always cool. I couldn't play GTA V with everyrhing on Ultra but why does this thing keep happening? I didn't over clock anything (or at least I don't think I did). I'm on Win10.

What to do?

An AMD HD 7770.

I'm sad now, it took months to get the money for the GPU, just to find out my CPU is shit. =/

I have been in a similar situation, look at it from this side. You have an excelent GPU which is not going anywhere, the power is there. Just wait and get a new CPU some day and it will shine. It's not like you will never get the performance from it.

It is just waiting in reserves for a while, that moment will be much better when it inevitably comes. You have not made a bad decision.

So my dad just started his own business and wants/has three 4k monitors to drive that were previously on some souped up water-cooled setup the exact specs I'm not sure of. (Previous employer kept 2 of the monitors and the PC).

Not for gaming purposes, but for general office work mostly - he's an attorney - what kind of graphics solution would be needed? I believe the old setup had 3 AMD cards. Don't know if you could get away with a single higher end card though or if you'd need to 2-way or 3-way SLI.

Advice would be appreciated.

And yes he's a bit of a tech snob but not into gaming. The monitors help with all the legal documentation he has to read through.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So my machine has lived a long life, and I think it's time to put it out to pasture. Looking at buying something new:

Your Current Specs:

CPU: AMD X4 635
RAM: 8gb 2x4gb
GPU: GTX 460
MOBO: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
Case: Coolmaster Elite 330
HDD: 512gb something or other
Budget: $1500 Canada
Main Use: Gaming, sometimes some web dev (my macbook handles most of that). I want to be able to use this for the oculus though.
Monitor Res: Currently have a 1600/900, with the eventual goal of upgrading

I basically want this to be my main gaming PC, I want this to be a great machine for fallout 4 when it comes out, and I want to be able to handle VR without chugging. I don't need a lot of storage, and in fact I think I'd be happy with a fast SSD, even if it is small.

I don't plan on overclocking

Oxn

Where is the best place to learn all about water cooling, and the best place to purchase all the parts.

sfried

If you want to boost gaming performance, you should either aim for a stronger graphics card or a better processor. For multi-tasking, you want a better processor as a better graphics card won't really improve how easily you can run browser tabs and videos and streams in the background. If you're playing games at 1366x768 then you won't need a graphics card with 4GB of VRAM, but the extra VRAM wouldn't hurt for the sake of future use and longevity.

Because your current setup doesn't really need it , there's not much of a point in upgrading to a 650 watt power supply when your current 500 watt PSU already handles everything, unless you were planning to overclock (which you aren't) or was aiming for a stronger graphics card (out of your budget). Again, it's something that's nice to have, you could carry it over to a new PC build, but it's not needed.[/URL].

One of the reasons I'm contemplating on getting a new PSU was because my current one isn't modular, and I thought it would be a good reason to jump my current wattage from 500 to 600 to open up my CPU and GPU upgrade options. I've been contemplating getting a newer Intel motherboard too, but I'm trying to aim for a small form factor/microATX or smaller casing compatibility since I'd like to put my build on top of my desk instead of leaving it on the floor (plus the fact that I need more desk space, and am not a fan of big muscle car-esq builds).

sfried

At this point I've spent $300~ on a new SSD (1TB), and looking for a cost-effective way to get that "everything on Very High in MGSV:TTP" 1366x768@60fps, so was thinking doing the FX-8350 might do the trick, but now I'm contemplating on getting a new motherboard, and since we're talking getting an R9 380...I feel I might as well start slowly building up my "newer" rig. Since my SDD will also force to to do an upgrade->install->clean install of Windows 10 (thus clean slating my PC), I thought I might as well look for some deals on maybe that R9 Nano, or maybe even a Fury X, as well as some options for an ITX/microATX Intel motherboards and cooling options.

tl;dr - small, powerful, efficient, useful for drawing, gaming, multitasking

Current Rig:
AMD FX-4350 @ 4.2Ghz
XFX R7870 Core Edition 2GB
16GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Motherboard
1TB Toshiba HDD 7200 RPM
Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-207D
Samsung SyncMaster S19B420 DVI LED monitor (pivot monitor at 1366x768 @ 60Hz, 5ns response time)
Samsung SyncMaster S19B150 VGA LED monitor (1366x768 @ 60Hz, 5ns response time)
Wacom Intuos 4 PTK-440

Newer Rig aims:
-Intel or AMD Chipset, whichever runs cooler & faster
-For best backwards compatibility (older PC games/DOSBox) a single thread clock of at least 4Ghz is expected
-Built for multimonitor multitasking (Max 3 monitors @ 1080p, more realistic aim is to utilize the two above monitors)
-prefer motherboard to have tons of USB 3.0 ports (External HDD purposes)
-Intend to use a Steamlink for HDTV use
-Might go for an extra 4TB HDD (1TB SDD will be used for OS and illustration applications)

RGM79

Sorry guys, another bottlenecking question. I have a Q9550 and want to get a GTX 750 Ti. The link below has an exhaustive list benchmarks and it seems bottlenecking is an issue but ultimately not a game changer.

What I want to know is how will a GTX 750 Ti to a GTX 970 from the link will compare. Most importantly the GTX 750 Ti is a smaller card so Im guessing its less raw speed and more improved architecture that gives it its performance so will I be less affected?

Link

It's quite difficult to say about bottlenecking. Some games make more use of the graphics card than the CPU and vice versa. For example, I can play Far Cry 4 and MGSV:TPP on a Pentium dual core quite well, while it's a significant bottleneck for GTAV and is barely adequate. As for those specific graphics cards, they are of a similar architecture (both are Maxwell design), so I would assume the GTX 750 Ti would see similar bottlenecked results, just at a lower level of performance. Same framerate gains and losses, just at lower peaks.

So my dad just started his own business and wants/has three 4k monitors to drive that were previously on some souped up water-cooled setup the exact specs I'm not sure of. (Previous employer kept 2 of the monitors and the PC).

Not for gaming purposes, but for general office work mostly - he's an attorney - what kind of graphics solution would be needed? I believe the old setup had 3 AMD cards. Don't know if you could get away with a single higher end card though or if you'd need to 2-way or 3-way SLI.

Advice would be appreciated.

And yes he's a bit of a tech snob but not into gaming. The monitors help with all the legal documentation he has to read through.

According to this Nvidia tool, a single GTX 960 is capable of driving three 4K displays by itself. It'll be absolutely fine if he isn't playing any games.
GaS8ofsl.png

So my machine has lived a long life, and I think it's time to put it out to pasture. Looking at buying something new:

Your Current Specs:

CPU: AMD X4 635
RAM: 8gb 2x4gb
GPU: GTX 460
MOBO: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
Case: Coolmaster Elite 330
HDD: 512gb something or other
Budget: $1500 Canada
Main Use: Gaming, sometimes some web dev (my macbook handles most of that). I want to be able to use this for the oculus though.
Monitor Res: Currently have a 1600/900, with the eventual goal of upgrading

I basically want this to be my main gaming PC, I want this to be a great machine for fallout 4 when it comes out, and I want to be able to handle VR without chugging. I don't need a lot of storage, and in fact I think I'd be happy with a fast SSD, even if it is small.

I don't plan on overclocking

If you're not overclocking and you don't need a lot of storage, try this somewhat unconventional build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($54.95 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($108.39 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($849.00 @ NCIX)
Case: Silverstone PS09B MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1457.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-04 04:38 EDT-0400

That's the strongest processor and graphics card you can get on your budget, at the expense of a cheap but still decent motherboard and PSU. You can and should reuse your RAM and old hard drive with this new PC.

One of the reasons I'm contemplating on getting a new PSU was because my current one isn't modular, and I thought it would be a good reason to jump my current wattage from 500 to 600 to open up my CPU and GPU upgrade options. I've been contemplating getting a newer Intel motherboard too, but I'm trying to aim for a small form factor/microATX or smaller casing compatibility since I'd like to put my build on top of my desk instead of leaving it on the floor (plus the fact that I need more desk space, and am not a fan of big muscle car-esq builds).

At this point I've spent $300~ on a new SSD (1TB), and looking for a cost-effective way to get that "everything on Very High in MGSV:TTP" 1366x768@60fps, so was thinking doing the FX-8350 might do the trick, but now I'm contemplating on getting a new motherboard, and since we're talking getting an R9 380...I feel I might as well start slowly building up my "newer" rig. Since my SDD will also force to to do an upgrade->install->clean install of Windows 10 (thus clean slating my PC), I thought I might as well look for some deals on maybe that R9 Nano, or maybe even a Fury X, as well as some options for an ITX/microATX Intel motherboards and cooling options.

tl;dr - small, powerful, efficient, useful for drawing, gaming, multitasking

Current Rig:
AMD FX-4350 @ 4.2Ghz
XFX R7870 Core Edition 2GB
16GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Motherboard
1TB Toshiba HDD 7200 RPM
Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-207D
Samsung SyncMaster S19B420 DVI LED monitor (pivot monitor at 1366x768 @ 60Hz, 5ns response time)
Samsung SyncMaster S19B150 VGA LED monitor (1366x768 @ 60Hz, 5ns response time)
Wacom Intuos 4 PTK-440

Newer Rig aims:
-Intel or AMD Chipset, whichever runs cooler & faster
-For best backwards compatibility (older PC games/DOSBox) a single thread clock of at least 4Ghz is expected
-Built for multimonitor multitasking (Max 3 monitors @ 1080p, more realistic aim is to utilize the two above monitors)
-prefer motherboard to have tons of USB 3.0 ports (External HDD purposes)
-Intend to use a Steamlink for HDTV use
-Might go for an extra 4TB HDD (1TB SDD will be used for OS and illustration applications)

Do you have a budget in mind? Going with Intel's Skylake would be a good fit for your new PC requirements.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Hi Folks.

I'm having a look at a new PC and based off the Haz's PC builds came up with

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/j6wVpg

I'll be doing a bit of gaming and running some VMs (therefore the 16Gb ram).

I've got existing monitor and I cansteap my DVD writer drive from my old box (really old box).

Any standout errors here?

Also I want a 1TB system drive, but that really whacks the price up by about 150 euro. Anyone with a 500GB system drive SSD, do you regret not getting 1TB?

Link

An important thing to know is that something is always bottlenecking. It just depends how and where. In some instances it's a severe bottleneck (like trying to SLi 980 Ti's with an FX-4350) and sometimes it's not that big a deal--slight gains rather than massive gains. It's important to know this--you almost always will see some benefit from new hardware assuming it's compatible. It might not be what you were hoping for, but it's not necessarily nothing.

Going off that TPU post, you can see where the differences occur most--games that are CPU driven like Diablo 3 get a massive boost going from a Q9550 to an i5-2500k. Compare that to Battlefield 3 which scales well across cores and can then put more pressure on the GPU. As GPU demand goes up, CPU demand generally goes down--at least when it comes to games. There are few games that just pound your entire system, usually they get hung up on one or the other. So hardware performance is basically a balancing act.

That being said. A GTX 750 Ti will not bottleneck on a Q9550 I can say with a decent amount of certainty. A GTX 970 would, but despite being the same architecture the GTX 750 Ti has just under a third as many transistors as the GTX 970, and is quite a bit below it in terms of performance. The GTX 750 Ti is a solid card for light gaming, but despite the controversy around the GTX 970's VRAM, it's a very powerful card by most standards.

Raxanas

Neo Member
Hey!

My old friend comes to the end of his life, and I need to buy a new one.

A already ask this topic before, but now, I got the money, so time for a final check list.

The uses: Hardcore gaming (Will got a HTC Vive), Video Editing, Streaming, game developpement (Unity and Unreal Engine mainly). No upgrade for at least 3-5 years.
Monitor: 2 x 1200p, but will upgrade with 2x 1440p in 2016.
Budget: Around 2000k €
The country: France

The list I made: (update with french price)

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€395 @ Magicpc)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€147 @ Amazon.fr)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€151 @ Magicpc)
GPU: iChill Geforce GTX 980Ti Black (€779.95 @ Amazon.fr)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo ATX Full Tower Case exact ref: PH-ES813P_SRD (€236 @ caseking.de)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€181 @ Amazon.fr)
Total: €2022

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-03 17:28 CEST+0200

My concerns:

CPU Cooler: some reviews say the water-pump make some noise, other don't. If someone got one and can tell me :)
Case: if you can find me the red version in france for the same price or lower, it would be awesome.
Power supply: The price of the SeaSonic raise recently, if you got an other one with the same perf. but cheaper, I would look into it. (a corsair for example)

And, last question: Do you think this is solid? No issues ?

Thx!
Build is fine.....I suggest though to buy a cheaper case....250 is too much for a 2k build.Also use the EVGA 750 G2 as its the same but 70 euros cheaper

I would suggest sth like that
http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/QqYcLk
With http://geizhals.eu/evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-classified-acx-2-0-06g-p4-4998-kr-a1275122.html
http://geizhals.eu/evga-supernova-g2-750-750w-atx-2-3-220-g2-0750-xr-a1083914.html
and instead of primo buy the Luxe that its still cool but 100 euros cheaper....
What about HDDs? doesnt he need an SSD?
German stores got good prices and mostly send in France so no problem

RGM79

Hi Folks.

I'm having a look at a new PC and based off the Haz's PC builds came up with

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/j6wVpg

I'll be doing a bit of gaming and running some VMs (therefore the 16Gb ram).

I've got existing monitor and I cansteap my DVD writer drive from my old box (really old box).

Any standout errors here?

Also I want a 1TB system drive, but that really whacks the price up by about 150 euro. Anyone with a 500GB system drive SSD, do you regret not getting 1TB?

Looks alright, but do you really need the sound card? And if your DVD drive is from a really old PC, it may or may not work with your existing PC due to different connectors. Does it have a set of L shaped plugs or a wide row of pins?

If you're worried that a 500GB SSD might be too small, consider including a 1~2TB hard drive along with the 500GB SSD. It'll be cheaper than the 1TB SSD and you'll have storage space for all the stuff that doesn't need a speed boost from SSD like certain programs or documents or audio/video.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Looks alright, but do you really need the sound card? And if your DVD drive is from a really old PC, it may or may not work with your existing PC due to different connectors. Does it have a set of L shaped plugs or a wide row of pins?

If you're worried that a 500GB SSD might be too small, consider including a 1~2TB hard drive along with the 500GB SSD. It'll be cheaper than the 1TB SSD and you'll have storage space for all the stuff that doesn't need a speed boost from SSD like certain programs or documents or audio/video.

thanks. DVD burner is sata connector (smaller l-shape) so I'm good there.

as for sound card, I was surprised to see it on the list and didn't know those were actually still a thing... I'll drop it off. what is the purpose of a soundcard these days?

Vuze

Guys, I need help.

I have my PC for almost a year now I think and didn't really have issues with it until I played GTA V. All of a sudden it started freezing when I played the game. When I forced it to shut off it would give me a "choose a boot device" message or something and I couldn't do anything else. I switched off the PC with the hardware switch and after while I'd switch it on and
verything was OK again. Didn't think too much of it.
Today I player Titanfall again and the same thing happened. The game wasn't as smooth as it should be and the audio started stuttering. And then it just froze again.
Just a few minutes ago I started playing Skyrim and the same thing happened, it froze.

PC never runs hot, it's always cool. I couldn't play GTA V with everyrhing on Ultra but why does this thing keep happening? I didn't over clock anything (or at least I don't think I did). I'm on Win10.

What to do?
Freeze as in image freezes and you still hear the last few seconds of audio in a loop? I also had this under heavy load (+ generic bluescreens) with completly fine temps and the machine ran flawless when used for web browsing etc.
Turns out my PSU was faulty (manufacturer confirmed this when I sent it in). Had it replaced it and haven't encountered a single freeze + BSOD for about 2 months now *knocks on wood*
Might wann consider this if you think it'd be a possibility.

Altarus

Neo Member
Build is fine.....I suggest though to buy a cheaper case....250 is too much for a 2k build.Also use the EVGA 750 G2 as its the same but 70 euros cheaper

I would suggest sth like that
http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/QqYcLk
With http://geizhals.eu/evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-classified-acx-2-0-06g-p4-4998-kr-a1275122.html
http://geizhals.eu/evga-supernova-g2-750-750w-atx-2-3-220-g2-0750-xr-a1083914.html
and instead of primo buy the Luxe that its still cool but 100 euros cheaper....
What about HDDs? doesnt he need an SSD?
German stores got good prices and mostly send in France so no problem

For the case, I really like it, but the main thing it's I will surely make a watercooling next year, and I find this case perfect for that. But I will look the Luxe for sure.
For the GPU, I prefer the inno3D, more quiet than the eVGA (and better performance with a lower price in france)
For the PSU, I found it in france, so I will take it thx.
I will take the Nepton from the list you make cheaper, and same perf apparently (and no pump noise?), but I will keep the Skylake, for my use, I figure that high frequency with 4 core is sightly better than a lower frequency with 6 core.
About the SSD, I already got one in my current rig, a 512go MX100. But If I buy a new one, I don't know if I take a BX100 or a MX200 (1To)

About the German stores, the thing is, what I gain, I lose it with the shipping 80% of the time :(

Thx for the feedback!

fertygo

What's the main advantage that I gonna have for buying premium casing pc, over budget one like let say Venomrx thunderbolt?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
If you're not overclocking and you don't need a lot of storage, try this somewhat unconventional build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($54.95 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($108.39 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($849.00 @ NCIX)
Case: Silverstone PS09B MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1457.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-04 04:38 EDT-0400

That's the strongest processor and graphics card you can get on your budget, at the expense of a cheap but still decent motherboard and PSU. You can and should reuse your RAM and old hard drive with this new PC.

Awesome, i was playing around with some options and came to similar conclusions about the cpu, but everything else here is a surprise, but interesting. I'm thinking about bumping up my budget a couple of hundred and also just grabbing a monitor to go with the new setup. I saw an ips, LED for 200ish, but it was 5ms, vs a few 1ms monitors without ips. I'm not well versed with ips though, so for all i know, it's not worth it.

Tensketch

ffs, I've had my new monitor a week and I've found a frigging dead pixel already.
Currently trying undeadpixel on it to see if that works. But that's super fucking annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom