• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
First thing, connect your PC directly to the modem. If your speeds still sucks, contact your ISP because there really is nothing else you can do. If speeds are faster, time to get a better router.

Cheers man. Should have said, already wired. Don't really use the wireless for anything other than my phone.

Shot my ISP an email. Hopefully they can test the lines.

LordAlu

Ok GAF. Was asking for advice the other day and what do you know, my PC dies. Pretty sure it's either the mobo PSU or CPU. So two questions. Firstly, what's the best site for pc parts in the UK? I used overclockers once but it wasn't exactly cheap so would love it if anyone knows a better site.

Secondly, what's the best bundle I can hope to pick up on a mobo/cpu roughly for £350? I was eyeing a 4790k with msi z95 gaming 5 mobo. Can I do better for that money and will it be much of an upgrade from my old, possibly dead 2600k?
There's no one website in the UK that will be cheaper than all the others - the best thing to do is use https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ to find the item you want. You can compare prices on there too, although sometimes they're a little behind current ones so you should double check at the places it recommends.

As for a bundle, the parts you've chosen will be fine and it will be 8-14% faster in general. Unfortunately the new Skylake stuff is beyond that budget.

LilJoka

If you have 25 posts at hexus forums you get free next day shipping at scan.co.uk. If you combine that with their "today only" section it's usually the cheapest. RAM is usually cheapest at Amazon since scan seems to only stock
Corsair.

So guys what precaution should I take before installing the MSI r9 390?
How can I test my monitor for blacklight bleed, IPS glow and dead pixel?

Raxanas

Neo Member
So guys what precaution should I take before installing the MSI r9 390?
How can I test my monitor for blacklight bleed, IPS glow and dead pixel?
The screen can be tested by turning the lights off,put a black wallpaper and see if it has backlight bleed/glow or just open the monitor without powering on the pc on a dark room and check....If it doesnt bother you its ok.
As far as the 390 ,can you tell me your PSU?

Sevenfold

Can anyone recommend a high end z710 motherboard for a single 980ti. The talk of latency for single cards on (all?) the top end boards is giving me pause. 6700k and 16GB going on it.

this new rog swift someone mentioned several pages back...is it 4k only? I did a quick google and CES report i saw seemed to suggest as much. Could have been looking at the wrong thing

The screen can be tested by turning the lights off,put a black wallpaper and see if it has backlight bleed/glow or just open the monitor without powering on the pc on a dark room and check....If it doesnt bother you its ok.
As far as the 390 ,can you tell me your PSU?
Cooler master v750, the one revised by Johnny guru.

Just thought I would throw this out there for people in the UK. If you are looking to buy some new PC parts or whatever you can use a thing called Bespoke offers. It is from Barclays and operates essentially like Flubit if you know what that is apart from a lot quicker. For example I found an MSI R9 390 for £260 odd then I put it into Bespoke offers and got it for £237. It arrived the next day and I am currently using it in this PC as I type this.

Essentially they give you exclusive prices on items that are usually quite a bit cheaper, sourced from their own merchants.

At the moment Quidco is doing a special 18% cashback on bespoke purchases so you stand to save quite a bit of cash. I bought a Phanteks heatsink the other day for essentially £47 whereas usually it is £70+.

Not all retailers are supported but some big ones are, Amazon for example and for more PC related stuff you can use eBuyer or Novatech.

Links for your own exploration:
Bespoke offers
Quidco cashback

It is worth noting though, whilst I haven't had problems with any items I have ordered (so far), it is possible you may get the wrong item or something, in this case before buying anything make sure to read how returns work before parting with your cash. Obviously that sort of warning may put many off but it seems to work rather well.

Ok GAF. Was asking for advice the other day and what do you know, my PC dies. Pretty sure it's either the mobo PSU or CPU. So two questions. Firstly, what's the best site for pc parts in the UK? I used overclockers once but it wasn't exactly cheap so would love it if anyone knows a better site.

Secondly, what's the best bundle I can hope to pick up on a mobo/cpu roughly for £350? I was eyeing a 4790k with msi z95 gaming 5 mobo. Can I do better for that money and will it be much of an upgrade from my old, possibly dead 2600k?

Quoting myself from earlier.

EDIT: My Phanteks heatsink just arrived after from Bespoke Offer, it was supposed to take 3-6 days, it took just one...

Sevenfold

What talk is this?

Taken from one of the reviews:
When it came to performance you might have noticed that this board did not score as well in many of the tests. This is actually because with the PEX8747 bridge chip you actually add a little latency. So if you are using a single GPU you will see this, but who is going to use a single GPU with this board?!

Certainly going to be single GPU for the time being, don't want to lose out in the short term for a possible upgrade in the future but like a lot of the features on the board. Bah, PC gaming.

Pretty sure I saw it on th EVGA Classy review too but could easily have been the G1 from another site. Assuming it's an SLI thing across the boards set up for 4 way but don't want to misinform.

Link:http://www.thinkcomputers.org/gigabyte-z170x-gaming-g1-motherboard-review/12/

ruttyboy

Certainly going to be single GPU for the time being, don't want to lose out in the short term for a possible upgrade in the future but like a lot of the features on the board. Bah, PC gaming.

Pretty sure I saw it on th EVGA Classy review too but could easily have been the G1 from another site. Assuming it's an SLI thing across the boards set up for 4 way but don't want to misinform.

Link:http://www.thinkcomputers.org/gigabyte-z170x-gaming-g1-motherboard-review/12/

Ah OK, thanks for replying. So it's just SLI 3x/4x boards?

Guys I need help. I wanted a desktop pc but it was going to be a budget one, about 500 eur. But now my brother gave me an ASUS P9X79 and while it is a shame to waste it, the cheaper slot 2011 processor is 329€ without the cooler. Because a Xenon is out of question, right?

----

Your Current Specs: ASUS P9X79 Motherboard, sata WD 500gb HDD.

Budget: Idk Anymore, Initial was about 500€. As low as possible. Country: Spain

Main Use: Some couch gaming @ 1080, Media center usage. Dota, FIFA, My Steam backlog

Will you be overclocking?: Guess I will now.

--------------

Parts I had in mind getting:

MSI-GTX-950-Gaming-2G

Crucial BX100 SSD

Would be great to get help choosing the rest, specially the processor, cooler and the case. Of course any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I also have a 400w psu, dunno the model right now

M.D

Can anyone recommend a GPU that would be appropriate for this PC? Not looking to play the most recent games at the highest settings or anything, it would be mostly for something like Dota 2 and games from a couple of years ago/smaller games that don't require a top of the line GPU

AMD A10-6790K
GIGABYTE F2A88X-D3H
8GB 1600 MHz

I'm not sure about the PSU, I can check that later

Is GTX 960 a good choice?

Sevenfold

Ah OK, thanks for replying. So it's just SLI 3x/4x boards?

Yeah as far as I can tell it's the PLX chip for PCI introducing latency for single cards. I'm gonna keep reading before I buy.

starting with an added PLX chip the PEX8747 which allowed Gigabyte to provide a wider PCI-E bandwidth and full 16x16x SLI or Xfire but the PLX chip adds latency to a single GPU setup so it’s a tradeoff but a worthwhile one as most Z170 Intel chipset board offer 8x 8x and we’ll accept a little latency on a single card to gain 16x 16x capabilities.

Link:http://www.bjorn3d.com/2015/08/gigabyte-z170x-gaming-g1-review-z170-skylake-chipset-game-kings/5/

Is the EVGA 980 TI Classified favored over their other cards (not including the Kingpin)? Curious to know since they have several cards available.

Layell

quick question: I've enjoyed windows 10 technical but my time is up and now the computer will be restarting every couple of hours.

Is there any reason for me to get windows 8 for cheap at my retail store (doesn't have 10), or should I jump for the full 10 download. As I understand it support will only last for 2 years through 8 yes?

Installed my Phanteks heatsink all went well thankfully. 35 idle which is 5 lower than my loop but at load its 70-75c which is about 10-20c higher. Not too bad though I'm happy to give up the pain of water cooling for that little increase. It's way quieter as well.

Oooh! Joe getting my hopes up. Can't wait to go home now!

Also, I got a good laugh at your post a few pages back about your build and asking if there were any good games that came out since 2011 ;)

Hey did your build work? Still having problems? Did it digitize and download you into the Game Grid?

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me on something.

My son wants to build a PC and has all the parts picked out. But I need to make sure the bios and all overclocking features are completed locked out.

Anyone know how easy it is to lock it without it being easily bypassed? I've never had to do this before but I want to make sure my money doesn't go down the drain.

The motherboard and GPU are:

MSI Z97-Gaming 9 ACK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard.
MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card

ruttyboy

My son wants to build a PC and has all the parts picked out. But I need to make sure the bios and all overclocking features are completed locked out.

Anyone know how easy it is to lock it without it being easily bypassed? I've never had to do this before but I want to make sure my money doesn't go down the drain.

Most motherboards you can set a password to get into the BIOS. It can be circumvented by resetting the BIOS, but he'd have to open up the case, remove the battery from the motherboard and move some jumpers. So it comes down to how technically proficient you think he is I guess as to whether he's likely to do that.

Of course there are also cases that you can lock with a key, so there is that ;-)

Alright something is up here, I need some help from someone.

I have been trying my 390 on a few of my games and it is pretty much universally worse then my 780 and I don't know what the problem is.

I used to play Killer is Dead 4k 60fps no dips on my 780. On my 390 at 1080p it was fluctuating between 50-60fps constantly.

I'm really fed up now, I don't know what the issue is or if its even something I can fix.

hitgirl

So for work use (speadsheets, email), should i get IPS 1440p or a TN 1080p 120hz? I had a Ben Q 120hz for awhile and I felt like the fast refresh rates helped with eye strain during the day and headaches. Felt more productive too.. but 1440p gives you more productivity. And TN panels are the greatest to look at..

Ledsen

The 2500K is still decent especially when overclocked. You'll be able to hit 60FPS in most games easily at 1080p and probably even 1440p as long as you're not being held back by the GPU.

The 560 Ti is still midrange for now, but you could do with a graphics card upgrade if you wanted to play at higher settings. I actually just installed a 560 Ti in my work PC and I am able to play MGSV Phantom Pain nearly maxed out at 60FPS, but at 1280x1024.

Your setup isn't that bad at all, it'll just depend on what sort of games you want to play and at what settings.

Midrange? That's insane! I bought this rig back in 2011... What happened to PC tech race? Console ports?

the ROG Swift PG348Q that is 21:9? that's a 3440 x 1440.

edit: There's 3 of them http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-rog-swift-pg279q-pricing-and-specs.html

Thanks!

Eugh...sometime during q4...was kinda hoping it'd magically be October. Could save up for the 279q but it'd be easier if I could get it with the rest of the pc. I might hold off a couple of weeks/as much as possible just to see if ASUS announce a cast iron release date. and announce that it's less than the 750 people have it for pre order as...current rog swift is about 200 less than that?

Edit: I might get the pb278qr to "partner" the rog if i wait for it. Unless I'd need to go whole hog and buy two.

kennah

Midrange? That's insane! I bought this rig back in 2011... What happened to PC tech race? Console ports?

Intel won. Started focusing on power consumption and onboard graphics instead of raw speed.

On the GPU side, there was a problem with reducing the die size, so both AMD and NVIDIA spent a year releasing the same cards under different names (760 was a 670, 770 was a 680)

I'm looking to purchase a new monitor and I'm having a hard time deciding on one.

I'll try and help you help me.

-Will not be used for much competitive gaming(CS, DOTA, SC, or LoL)
-WILL be used a lot for single player gaming and co-op games with friends
-Must be IPS as there is no going back to TN panels
-I'd like to spend no more than $300( I'm willing to bend A LITTLE lol)
-Just to go with the IPS, colors are very important so I'm looking for something within that price range with excellent colors. Dell's have never let me down.
-Would really prefer one with 2xHDMI and at least 1xDisplay Port

I'm struggling to find a monitor with two HDMI ports and at least one Display Port along with all the other requirements I have. The struggle is real

Here is one I have my eye on but it doesn't meet all of my requirements:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4260218&cm_re=27in_ips-_-24-260-218-_-Product

RGM79

Yeah as far as I can tell it's the PLX chip for PCI introducing latency for single cards. I'm gonna keep reading before I buy.

Link:http://www.bjorn3d.com/2015/08/gigabyte-z170x-gaming-g1-review-z170-skylake-chipset-game-kings/5/

High end motherboards with PLX chips do that. If you really don't want to have that 1~2% overhead in latency, then go with a lower end motherboard that doesn't have PLX. No lower end motherboards have a PLX chip in the first place as those opting for three or four graphics cards usually have enough money to spend on higher end motherboards for Haswell-E that can natively support more PCI-E lanes.

It'd be easier and cheaper to buy a cheaper motherboard that doesn't really allow overclocking in the first place. If he won't be overclocking, does he really need a $300 motherboard?

Edit: Why don't you post your parts list and budget? I'm quite certain you can get better for your money. If you were to spend $350 on the graphics card and $150 on the motherboard, that would be better performance and less of a waste than buying a $300 motherboard and $200 graphics card.

Also, as was said earlier, there are passwords that can be placed on the BIOS to prevent access.

Well, the 560 Ti is sort of a low-middle range. I have the 1GB VRAM model and it definitely limits certain things, like pretty much being forced to run GTAV at lowest settings because I'll run into VRAM limitations. At least that means I can keep up a high framerate. Disregarding the VRAM, the 560 Ti is still competitive and is just a bit weaker than a 750 Ti which is definitely midrange.

Like I said, it depends on your needs and wants. If you're fine with lowering graphics quality settings, the 560 Ti will still do an alright job. Before this I had an even older Radeon 5850 in my work PC and I didn't have any issues with that level of performance (but then again, I'm gaming at a relatively low 1280x1024).

Edit: Sorry, turns out I'm playing MGSV on high, not maxed out.

The Boat

The 2666MHz RAM is a bit of a cost-saving move, tests with DDR4 RAM have not really shown it to be a bottleneck for gaming but there are a few benefits elsewhere. Games don't rely too much on system RAM speed anyway, as graphics RAM matters more. Yes, the GTX 970 is overclockable.
I see, thanks a lot! I'm still slightly undecided between the 970 and 390, I don't know if those 8 GB of RAM might come in handy someday, but I'll likely go with the build you've made.

I dont know about the memory (I have 1866mhz and it seems fine). That 970 is overclockable. I have that exact one and have it overclocked by 120mhz on the core clock and 200mhz on the memory clock, I'v heard of people going higher though.

Edit: Beaten
Thank you all the same :)

wheapon

I'm looking to purchase a new monitor and I'm having a hard time deciding on one.

I'll try and help you help me.

-Will not be used for much competitive gaming(CS, DOTA, SC, or LoL)
-WILL be used a lot for single player gaming and co-op games with friends
-Must be IPS as there is no going back to TN panels
-I'd like to spend no more than $300( I'm willing to bend A LITTLE lol)
-Just to go with the IPS, colors are very important so I'm looking for something within that price range with excellent colors. Dell's have never let me down.
-Would really prefer one with 2xHDMI and at least 1xDisplay Port

I'm struggling to find a monitor with two HDMI ports and at least one Display Port along with all the other requirements I have. The struggle is real

Here is one I have my eye on but it doesn't meet all of my requirements:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4260218&cm_re=27in_ips-_-24-260-218-_-Product

If you're OK with 24 inch monitors the dell u2414h or u2415 should fit the bill.

Bolivar687

Banned
Alright something is up here, I need some help from someone.

I have been trying my 390 on a few of my games and it is pretty much universally worse then my 780 and I don't know what the problem is.

I used to play Killer is Dead 4k 60fps no dips on my 780. On my 390 at 1080p it was fluctuating between 50-60fps constantly.

I'm really fed up now, I don't know what the issue is or if its even something I can fix.

What else are you trying to play? Since you mentioned Killer is Dead, you might just be trying to play weird games. The 290 has been outperforming the 780 for a the last year or so on new games, I really can't imagine the 390 having issues. You may have just gotten a bad card.

An1malhouse365

Neo Member
What's the deal on ssd's?
Only have enough in the budget to add a 120gb For the OS. Is it worth it? No gaming on this pc at all. Just general use.

EdgeTurn

Hey guys. Ran this list through PC PartPicker with no apparent problems, but I'd love feedback in case I'm overlooking any potential issues. This will be a mATX desktop PC used for heavy gaming and 3d modeling using 3d Studio Max, Zbrush and the like. Want a lot of power, but reliability and stability are even more important.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII GENE Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Operating system and primary software)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (work-related files, non-Steam games)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Steam library)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (backup and general storage)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full (32/64-bit) USB
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Thanks!

RGM79

Hey guys. Ran this list through PC PartPicker with no apparent problems, but I'd love feedback in case I'm overlooking any potential issues. This will be a mATX desktop PC used for heavy gaming and 3d modeling using 3d Studio Max, Zbrush and the like. Want a lot of power, but reliability and stability are even more important.

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Operating system and primary software)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (work-related files, non-Steam games)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (backup and general storage)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Thanks!

How much does this cost? Or can you give us a link to the build via the list sharing options? I'm certain I can improve this build for cost to performance.

What else are you trying to play? Since you mentioned Killer is Dead, you might just be trying to play weird games. The 290 has been outperforming the 780 for a the last year or so on new games, I really can't imagine the 390 having issues. You may have just gotten a bad card.

I think its probably the game, still kind of sad that it can't run Dark Souls well. I am sure my 780 ran it for the majority of the time at 60fps. I tried MGSV earlier and it runs it at 1440p ultra (post processing high and particles high) solid 60. My 780 definitely didn't run it that well.

Though I was doing a 3D mark test earlier and the card started to make a horrific whining noise. I thought it was the test but I could hear it over that. I turned down my hifi and it was ridiculously loud. Sound like air was escaping from a tiny gap. I guess its coil whine, it seems to have gone now but it scares me because I don't want anything making that sort of noise, it would drive me up the wall.

Gaming Evolved also says my card doesn't support automatic updating for some reason. My brother said he had the same problem but it fixed itself. Really not impressed with any of the AMD software.

Thanks!

Is there a reason you're not doing DDR4 3000+? That's the one change I'd recommend you make.

Clydefrog

Hey did your build work? Still having problems? Did it digitize and download you into the Game Grid?
Yep, you were exactly right with what I needed to do. I hooked up a monitor and was able to go into the BIOS and have it boot from my Windows 10 USB stick. Got everything installed and it's purring like a sleeping kitten now.

Fresh computer smell and a 144 Hz screen, feels like I stepped into the future.

Thanks again for your help.

EdgeTurn

Hey, thanks RGM79 - It comes to $2,640 according to PCPartPicker. Expensive, but this will be my primary workstation as well as gaming system, so still just within budget. Are there any components that you feel look particularly bad from a price/performance standpoint? My life will kind of revolve around this thing for a while so I guess I don't mind a little extravagance :)

Is there a reason you're not doing DDR4 3000+? That's the one change I'd recommend you make.

I honestly didn't know DDR4 went that high. I searched for DDR4 3000 on Amazon, and the 32GB configuration costs more than twice my current RAM (which actually would put me over budget). I had read that ddr4 speed has diminishing returns after about 2400, but I have no idea how accurate that is. I'll do some more research on it - thanks for pointing it out! Can never research enough it seems.

Shenmue

Banned
It's still good. I don't know what sort of games you want to play and at what resolution and setting, but with a 750 Ti, you might just want to lower settings if you want to hit 60FPS. Otherwise if you're fine with 30FPS, keep the graphics settings a little higher.

Eurogamer has some handy benchmarks for the Witcher 3 and GTAV that include the GTX 750 Ti and i7 4790K. The results are actually very good. Eurogamer doesn't specifically target medium or high or ultra preset graphics quality settings when they do these tests, they aim for "console quality" and show how well PC hardware can do at roughly equivalent quality settings.

Optionally, look for some used graphics cards if your budget is low. Or just save up and wait if you want higher quality settings and/or better framerate.

Thank you very much for the sage advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom