• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Really that much? I'm looking on ebay and systems with my CPU but with 4GB RAM and DDR3 are going for £50 or less.

Also, why do we keep getting people on here saying that DDR2 RAM is expensive, mine's worth about £10 by the looks.

Thanks for replying though, and yeah it looks like I could get new parts for her as you suggest for about £150 here in the UK, less if I went used.
People say ddr2 is expensive because they are looking at new prices instead of used.

So I'm about to pull the trigger on this EVGA GTX 970 that Newegg has on sale at the moment :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487136

With my only concern at the moment being whether or not there's merit in picking up the factory overclocked version of the card. So with respect to factory overclocks ...
Are they worth the extra price if you're willing to manually overclock your card anyway?

Beyond that, does anyone have experience with EVGA cards and are willing to vouch for them? I like to think I've done my due diligence with respect to researching the thing and am aware of some minor controversy EVGA had with running their first batch of 970s, on finding some reviews that took apart the 970s and looked at their guts it seems that these have been addressed with their ACX 2.0+ coolers that they have setup on their more recent models. Suffice to say I'm not terribly concerned with the build quality of the things from their newest line.

SandTorso

So I'm about to pull the trigger on this EVGA GTX 970 that Newegg has on sale at the moment :

With my only concern at the moment being whether or not there's merit in picking up the factory overclocked version of the card. So with respect to factory overclocks ...
Are they worth the extra price if you're willing to manually overclock your card anyway?

Beyond that, does anyone have experience with EVGA cards and are willing to vouch for them? I like to think I've done my due diligence with respect to researching the thing and am aware of some minor controversy EVGA had with running their first batch of 970s, on finding some reviews that took apart the 970s and looked at their guts it seems that these have been addressed with their ACX 2.0+ coolers that they have setup on their more recent models. Suffice to say I'm not terribly concerned with the build quality of the things from their newest line.

For what it's worth, I have a factory over clocked evga 670, and I can push it even further. I guess it depends on th price difference for whether it's worth it or not.

As for evga, I can't say I've had any problems with my card, so I haven't had any experience with their warranty, although I have heard good things.

Guri

If you want that performance edge sure. If you're in no hurry wait for a deal on it from newegg. Usually a 10-20% discount for a day or two.

It's currently $70 higher than the Crucial BX100. If you don't mind the price then dive in.

Sadly, NewEgg isn't an option. I'm from Brazil, so I need to buy and deliver to people I know who live abroad and will come here soon. There's someone who is living in Canada and will come here in December, for example. But, since my billing address is from Brazil, it needs to be from Amazon.

Ferrio

Banned

I have the OC'ed version of that card I bought 2 days ago. Was able to push it a bit more with it's stock cooling. Not sure if it's over what you could get with the base card.

fred

Just got my i7 6700K in the post today, a bargain for £286.92.

Got to wait just over a month to get the rest of my parts:

Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI motherboard
16GB (2x8) Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4-2133 RAM
Cooler Master Storm Stryker ATX Full Tower case
EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular PSU
Lite-On iHAS124 24X DVD Writer

I changed my mind on the motherboard yet again and will probably continue to do so before I order it all lol

Reusing my SSD and 4 SATA HDDs that are in my current machine.

Going to be using the iGPU until I can afford to get a Radeon R9 Fury X in May next year...and in November next year it's going to be the time that I 'Step Into The Rift'!!!

And that's going to be a loooooong 13 months lololol

Jag

Can someone recommend a good 27" monitor? Somewhere in the $300-$500 range? I'm coming from an older Dell 24" IPS.

I just built a Skylake 6600 with a 970. My gaming focus is mostly newer single player (Witcher, Fallout, etc). I don't really care between 1080 and 1440, but I've heard 1440 is better obviously. Don't really care about G-Sync either. I probably won't notice a difference. I just want a good looking picture.

So far, I'm looking at:

BenQ XL2730Z (although a bit out of my price range)
ASUS PB278Q

Any other recommendations?

I am in the process of getting a new 390, I sincerely hope this next one works correctly. I don't get why its working so badly.

Was just checking benchmarks for GTAV for example and an average framerate should be around 70 on ultra 1080p but I am only lucky to get 50fps.

MGSV runs really well though at 1440p, so I don't have a clue.

RGM79

I am in the process of getting a new 390, I sincerely hope this next one works correctly. I don't get why its working so badly.

Was just checking benchmarks for GTAV for example and an average framerate should be around 70 on ultra 1080p but I am only lucky to get 50fps.

Latest drivers? How hot is the graphics card running? Have HWMonitor or GPU-Z monitoring while you try some games and see if it's getting too hot and throttling itself or something.

Other system specs? Try running 3dmark and post your results here (including the scores in each category).

Latest drivers? How hot is the graphics card running? Have HWMonitor or GPU-Z monitoring while you try some games and see if it's getting too hot and throttling itself or something.

Yep latest drivers, tried both normal and beta no difference. It is running at 70-80ish I think.

Other system specs? Try running 3dmark and post your results here (including the scores in each category).

I ran 3Dmark before and it was a little below I think what it should be. The worrying thing was when I ran it a hideous coil whine manufactured, I could hear it over the sounds from my speakers. Sounded like air escaping out of a tank or something. Did not sound healthy at all.

Others specs are i7 2700k, 8GB RAM, Antec Truepower 650w PSU. If the same is with the replacement card I think I will attribute it to not playing nicely with the PSU, it should be enough to run it according to things I have read on the internet (and here) but you never know. I would probably then try and upgrade my PSU but I am not made of money...

Quotient

Besides the ability to overclock is their a substantial difference between H170 and Z170 chipset? I am particularly interested in mini-itx motherboards.

Kezen

Banned

Benchmarks can't be taken at face value, unless you happen to measure the same segment as whatever site you visited.

Benchmarks can't be taken at face value, unless you happen to measure the same segment as whatever site you visited.

Obviously I looked at many websites and they all have similar results, so unless they are all doing the exact same thing then I imagine it is a fault on my end.

Kezen

Banned
Obviously I looked at many websites and they all have similar results, so unless they are all doing the exact same thing then I imagine it is a fault on my end.
Do you mind linking those benchmarks ? Because I don't think they have run the test at max settings, or maybe they have resorted to only benchmarking indoor locations.

70fps with a 390 ? Like hell.

EDIT : Be careful about your CPU, the 4790K is quite a bit more powerful than yours, and GTA 5 is very CPU limited.

Do you mind linking those benchmarks ? Because I don't think they have run the test at max settings, or maybe they have resorted to only benchmarking indoor locations.

70fps with a 390 ? Like hell.

EDIT : Be careful about your CPU, the 4790K is quite a bit more powerful than yours, and GTA 5 is very CPU limited.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/1984-amd-r9-390-380-benchmark-review/Page-2
http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-nitro-r9-390-8gb-graphics-card-review/7/

The rest are 1440p+ with 50fps-60fps.

I thought maybe the CPU could be the problem but I don't think its a 20fps problem.

khaaan

I don't know if there's a better place to ask...but can I get a router recommendation?

My PC is on LAN so I don't really have any problems with it but everything else does. I'm in an apartment building so there's a lot of noise, I'm also currently using a 2-in-1 Router/Modem combo that I hear isn't the best. I'm trying to not go over $200, and I'm also in Canada so pricing is more expensive than the US counterparts. Right now I'm looking at ASUS RT-N600U. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Kezen

Banned
http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/1984-amd-r9-390-380-benchmark-review/Page-2
http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-nitro-r9-390-8gb-graphics-card-review/7/

The rest are 1440p+ with 50fps-60fps.

I thought maybe the CPU could be the problem but I don't think its a 20fps problem.

Thanks for those links. Those numbers seem very high to me, and the sequence benchmarked is not given. Basically it's impossible to tell if you should be able to run it about as well.

Regarding the CPU you might be surprised :
s1Em8AI.jpg

Thanks for those links. Those numbers seem very high to me, and the sequence benchmarked is not given. Basically it's impossible to tell if you should be able to run it about as well.

Regarding the CPU you might be surprised :
s1Em8AI.jpg

Hmm interesting, well then maybe my CPU is the problem...

Kezen

Banned
Hmm interesting, well then maybe my CPU is the problem...

I think it's slightly more complicated than that. Just because you see a number in a benchmark does not mean you should see the same in your game for the obvious reason that the game will not ask the same from your hardware depending on what scene you're benchmarking. Perhaps they used the in-game benchmark which is not as demanding as some sequences in the game itself.

GTA 5 being massive in scope makes benchmarking difficult and it's impossible to tell the whole story. Your performance will and should radically differ.

I think it's slightly more complicated than that. Just because you see a number in a benchmark does not mean you should see the same in your game.

I am well aware, just trying to get down possible reasons as to why I feel it isn't running as well it should be. Something just seems off, getting a replacement won't hurt to just confirm that isn't the problem.

Kezen

Banned
I am well aware, just trying to get down possible reasons as to why I feel it isn't running as well it should be. Something just seems off, getting a replacement won't hurt to just confirm that isn't the problem.

But who said it's not running as well as it should ? Again, you need to know first what did they benchmark before jumping to conclusion. Where are you in the game for example ?

I average about 100fps in the benchmark yet my performance is nowhere near that in very demanding open areas.

It seems to me you interpret benchmarks the wrong way : they are meant to compare cards between themselves rather than telling you how much fps you should be getting.

But who said it's not running as well as it should ? Again, you need to know first what did they benchmark before jumping to conclusion. Where are you in the game for example ?

I average about 100fps in the benchmark yet my performance is nowhere near that in very demanding open areas.

It seems to me you interpret benchmarks the wrong way : they are meant to compare cards between themselves rather than telling you how much fps you should be getting.

Well my previous card, a 780, is running games better than my 390, that is the reason why. I am not putting much into the benchmarks. I only checked them today out of curiosity.

Kezen

Banned
Well my previous card, a 780, is running games better than my 390, that is the reason why. I am not putting much into the benchmarks. I only checked them today out of curiosity.

Honestly that's not too surprising, AMD drivers are much less efficient than Nvidia's, so a 780 being on par or slightly inferior to a 390 is not shocking to me.

fred

Aw bollocks, I've changed my mind about my bloomin motherboard yet again again lol

Am DEFINITELY going for an ASRock Z170 Extreme4. Just noticed that it has a Clear CMOS switch and a POST Error display built-in to help me diagnose any problems I have when I put it all together.

All motherboards should ship with either a Clear CMOS Switch or jumper as standard imo, I've never been happy about shorting the pins with a bloomin screwdriver. >:eek:(

Honestly that's not too surprising, AMD drivers are much less efficient than Nvidia's, so a 780 being on par or slightly inferior to a 390 is not shocking to me.

Not enjoying the AMD experience at all. This gaming evolved stuff doesn't really work, I routinely get the card forgetting I have a second monitor plugged in when I turn it off. Very much regret giving up my 780.

Yep latest drivers, tried both normal and beta no difference. It is running at 70-80ish I think.

I ran 3Dmark before and it was a little below I think what it should be. The worrying thing was when I ran it a hideous coil whine manufactured, I could hear it over the sounds from my speakers. Sounded like air escaping out of a tank or something. Did not sound healthy at all.

Others specs are i7 2700k, 8GB RAM, Antec Truepower 650w PSU. If the same is with the replacement card I think I will attribute it to not playing nicely with the PSU, it should be enough to run it according to things I have read on the internet (and here) but you never know. I would probably then try and upgrade my PSU but I am not made of money...

What were the 3dmark numbers? Is your CPU overclocked at all?

Kezen

Banned
Not enjoying the AMD experience at all. This gaming evolved stuff doesn't really work, I routinely get the card forgetting I have a second monitor plugged in when I turn it off. Very much regret giving up my 780.

The 390 is a very solid card for the money though, but AMD's drivers are often called into question and rightly so. But to be perfectly honest with you exotic setups are always more error prone, you'd think having two monitors would not cause any issues but it very much does and this is not restricted to AMD.

Oxn

Can someone tell me how they are getting GTA 5 to go over 60fps? Mine seems to cap at that, or do I mean a higher hertz monitor for me to see it go above?

JeanPi

Banned
Guys, give me your opinion:

I currently have a 270x crossfire setup. Obviously crossfire doesn't work with all games and there are some games i can't run because of vram. Should i upgrade now or should i stay put. If i upgrade, what card should i go for? Top tier card or middle of the road?

What were the 3dmark numbers? Is your CPU overclocked at all?

Well it seems spot on for where it is on the Firestrike test. It must be a driver thing and the games I play.

The 390 is a very solid card for the money though, but AMD's drivers are often called into question and rightly so. But to be perfectly honest with you exotic setups are always more error prone, you'd think having two monitors would not cause any issues but it very much does and this is not restricted to AMD.

Never had a single issue with dual monitors on my 780. I used my brothers 280x (or 290 can't remember) and it had the same issue, so I know for sure that is an AMD problem.

I think for now I am just going to overclock it and see where that gets me.

BlueMagic

Hey guys, I'm currently using an i5 3570, 8 GB RAM, ASRock z77 Pro3, and an AMD 5670, all powered by a Satellite 600 w PSU. I'm looking to get a new graphics card, but I'm not sure if my PSU has the power/quality (specially quality) for something like a GTX960 or so. There's not a lot of info about my PSU which makes me worry even more. The main point is just to be able to play some newer games more comfortably, so maybe I should just get a less-consuming card?

Kezen

Banned
Well it seems spot on for where it is on the Firestrike test. It must be a driver thing and the games I play.
You probably already know AMD drivers suffer more than Nvidia's when it comes to extracting peak performance out of the DX11 API in situations where the CPU is the limiting factor. GTA 5 can run much better on Nvidia hardware for that reason alone, in GPU limited scenes GCN cards do as you'd expect.

Never had a single issue with dual monitors on my 780. I used my brothers 280x (or 290 can't remember) and it had the same issue, so I know for sure that is an AMD problem.
Nothing you can do about that I'm afraid, wait until AMD fixes the issue. :/

Overclocking is not a bad idea but be carefulabout thermal headroom.

Hey guys, I'm currently using an i5 3570, 8 GB RAM, ASRock z77 Pro3, and an AMD 5670, all powered by a Satellite 600 w PSU. I'm looking to get a new graphics card, but I'm not sure if my PSU has the power/quality (specially quality) for something like a GTX960 or so. There's not a lot of info about my PSU which makes me worry even more. The main point is just to be able to play some newer games more comfortably, so maybe I should just get a less-consuming card?

It seems to be a rather low end PSU, not recommended even with a 960. Buy a proper PSU first.

RGM79

Besides the ability to overclock is their a substantial difference between H170 and Z170 chipset? I am particularly interested in mini-itx motherboards.

Speaking in general, you lose the ability to overclock and run multiple graphics cards (pointless for mITX). H170 also supports two fewer USB 3.0 ports.

Any other differences would be up to the manufacturer and the specific model and design of the motherboard you look at.

Guys, give me your opinion:

I currently have a 270x crossfire setup. Obviously crossfire doesn't work with all games and there are some games i can't run because of vram. Should i upgrade now or should i stay put. If i upgrade, what card should i go for? Top tier card or middle of the road?

How much do you want to spend and what games do you want to play at what settings?

I don't even know what brand or model power supply that is. It'd be best to make sure, but if you really don't know and you had to upgrade, a GTX 960 is fairly power efficient and assuming no overclocking, at minimum a PC like that with a GTX 960 would only consume 250~300 watts.

comrade

Turn off the advanced graphics options and turn off MSAA.

There are a few options that slaughter any gpu. I have a 980ti and I run the game with the advanced graphics settings off and grass down a tick.

With a little tinkering I can get 60fps and 2xMSAA, with the occassional 1-2 drop so not bad at all. Happy with the overclock too seems to have given a good little performance boost.

JeanPi

Banned
How much do you want to spend and what games do you want to play at what settings?

I'm willing to spend any kind of money is it's reasonable. Forgot to mention i also have an amd fx8350 and a 850 watts power supply.

I'm gonna play mostly single player games as multiplayer i do on consoles with friends. As long as i can get my 60fps, i'm happy with high-medium settings.

Wag

Welp, I ordered my 3rd 980Ti. I said I wasn't going to do it after I had 3 OG Titans, but for 4k gaming, 3 cards is still a must to max out the newest games like The Witcher 3.

I ordered a EVGA 980Ti ACX 2.0+ (non-supercharged) version from Jet.com for $610 shipped after coupons and various discounts (no-need for free return with EVGA's liberal return policy). Let's see if it doesn't get cancelled.

I'm a cheapo but a family member gave me a free i7 4770 (not k version just normal 4770) plus free 16gb memory 1600hz (CAL Latency 11 clocks. Cycle time 28 clocks.)

That memory timing good or too slow (for gaming?)

Ordered today a GA-H97-D3H mobo reccomended in the OP, but it's the ATX version not MATX, but is cheaper and has the same specs plus more which seems strange to me since the price gap seems big. Graphics card I only have an AMD Saphire 6670 which I'm gonna continue using cos I'm cheap. Thinking of getting a SSD but that can wait.

So... water cooling, where do I start? Is it worth it?

only worth for a kickass graphics card and cpu to overclock, not just cpu since air cool comes close for cheaper, so I heard.

GnawtyDog

Banned
So... water cooling, where do I start? Is it worth it?

Overclocking CPU? If stock clocks then no, more eye candy than anything. Although there are cheap options out there similar to heatsinks at which point it's all about preference more than price, and whether your case allows it.

Exhibit A:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181029&cm_re=corsair_h55-_-35-181-029-_-Product

Edit: Why is an affiliate link popping up instead of the normal (clean url) I paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom