• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarosh

I take it the win 7 install is locked to that machine? If so, MS still usually lets you transfer if you tell them the MB died.

Once you upgrade to 10 you'll no longer have a product key, and license is tied to that hardware (usually the MB is the key component you can't change). Not sure how lenient they are going to be about moving the free license.

So I'd suggest installing 7 on the new machine first, activate it, tell them the old MB died if you need to, and then upgrade that one to 10.

Thanks! Sounds like good advice. But you know what, I changed my mind. It was a stupid idea. Not sure why I'm trying to save money here when I'm going all out with the budget for the rest of the build. I'll buy a new Win 10 Pro license instead.

Foxyone

This is what I used to get a GTX 970 to work in my old Dell Inspiron 530. The 970 required TWO 6-pin power connectors, and my Dell's crappy PSU only had one.

As you can see, the adapter I linked above takes _TWO_ SATA power inputs and converts them into a _SINGLE_ 6-pin power connector. This worked PERFECTLY for my 970.

Since the 750 ti only takes a single 6-pin, I think this adapter would work, provided you have two free SATA power cables.

If someone more knowledgable about this stuff could chime in here, that would be great. I only know what happened to work for me.

How about one of these if I only have one SATA connector?

I suppose even if that does work though, I think I'd still have the issue of finding a half-size 750 ti with a 6-pin without being really expensive; as far as I know, a "normal-sized" 750 ti, even with one fan, is too big for a SFF case.

How about one of these if I only have one SATA connector?

I suppose even if that does work though, I think I'd still have the issue of finding a half-size 750 ti with a 6-pin without being really expensive; as far as I know, a "normal-sized" 750 ti, even with one fan, is too big for a SFF case.

Might work, I just don't know.

I'm pretty sure a single SATA power cable doesn't give as much power as a 6-pin connector actually would, so I guess it depends on how much power the card actually needs.

Use both PCI-E cables from your PSU, yeah. As for the motherboard, it should still fit in a standard ATX case.

Thanks! Yeah, it does fit, doesn't use the three mounting points on the right side though. It's just not that wide. Is there any explanation why this board is 200mm wide? Haven't found anything online, never mind other boards with 305 x 200mm.

Dwalls

Neo Member
2500$ no manual build guy has restarted his stream and is giving it another go! We should try to help him out guys, let's get his build done. There's no british devil anymore and he seems much more receptive to help! I'd make a thread but I'm a junior and the previous one was closed for some reason?

http://www.twitch.tv/likebutterlive

Foxyone

Might work, I just don't know.

I'm pretty sure a single SATA power cable doesn't give as much power as a 6-pin connector actually would, so I guess it depends on how much power the card actually needs.

I don't think it would need the full 75W, maybe just ~50W at most, in addition to the 25W from the PCI slot. So are there any SFF PCs that can properly support a "normal-sized" GPU? I've seen one that shows a "full height" PCI slot in the official specs sheet, but haven't really seen any others like that. I can't really find anything about ampage for power supplies, but if An upgrade story shows a 250W PSU can run a system with a similar combined TDP, a 240W PSU would probably be ok.

Mystic654

Just finished my PC, lost a few photos.

JOCVNHB.jpg

Y9ozImC.jpg

4T5pzfA.jpg

94iweaE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JlLnOZD.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/wWfXiuV.jpg?1
cgIJYNR.jpg

DZbnHks.jpg

14KRUCq.jpg

FxygqC5.jpg

HcwVuRh.jpg

CPU: i7 5960x
Thermal Paste: Arctic Cooling MX4 4g
Motherboard: MSI Godlike
Case: Case-Labs S8S (Standard Window (Left & Right) | Ventilated Flex-Bay | 120.2/140.2 Top with Ventilated top | USB 3.0 Addon | PSU Mount | 140.1 Flex-Bay Addon
Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 2800MHz C14
Harddrives: 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB | 4x Western Digital Green 6TB
Graphics Card: MSI GTX 980 Ti
Fans: 5x BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 120mm PWM | 2x BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM
Drive: LG Blu-Ray 16x
Network: ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-AC1900 PCI-E Adapter
Cable: 7x Darkside Braided Sata Cables (45cm)
Cable: Darkside PWM Fan extension cable (50 & 70 cm)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000w P2
PSU Cable: CableMod Sleeving - Black + Cablemod Combs (Black)
PSU Other: Case-Labs PSU Mount
CPU Cooler: EK Predator 240
Lighting: x4 Darkside Rigid RGB 30cm + Darkside RGB Controller with Remote + x4 RGB extension cable (50cm + 30cm)
Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro
Other: Gorilla Tape + Zipties

Woorloog

Banned
I'm putting drivers for my new computer on an USB stick but i wonder, what exactly do i need? For the motherboard specifically.

The downloads for Asus Z170-A are here:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/
Based on the guide in the OP, i think i will need...
-Chipset, but which version? Or is the latest one enough?
-Audio.
-LAN
-USB but again, i wonder about the version.
What else? Do i need the SATA drivers or any of the utilities?

I will install Windows 7 first (from disc), and update it to Windows 10 later.

EDIT Oh, right, will the SSD (Crucial BX100 500GB) need anything post-Win7 installation?

What's the current monitor to go with for gSync, can't decide between the ROG, which one site that I googled but don't remember said was better for pure gaming, or the XB270 which is IPS?

It's strictly for games. I don't want to pay 800 bucks but the ROG is 660 at newegg

wowzors

What's the current monitor to go with for gSync, can't decide between the ROG, which one site that I googled but don't remember said was better for pure gaming, or the XB270 which is IPS?

It's strictly for games. I don't want to pay 800 bucks but the ROG is 660 at newegg

I just bought the XB720 and love it, the colors are a lot better than my old TN monitor, but i have heard the ROG colors are pretty good for a TN. The XB720 was on sale for 715 on newegg a couple of days ago.

I say for $50 IPS is worth it.

Edit: still is on sale http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...09742&cm_re=acer_gsync-_-24-009-742-_-Product

Darknight

You know I hate to bother you guys but Im also trying to sell my old rig to buy something new. Realistically how much could I get for the set up below?

CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 1GB
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30
Mobo: Asrock Z86 Extreme 3 Gen 3
RAM: 8GB Ballistix Red DDR3 1333
PSU: Antec True Power 750W
HDD: 1TB WD Black 32MB?
Case: Antec 900 V1
Drive: Lite-on DVD write/reader

Was thinking $300 but dont want to short sale if it should go lil bit more. I think the CPU is the most valuable piece, then the PSU.(seagate made I think, can handle new set ups) Everything is ok.

300 is a bit low, but honestly, put a new gpu in and you're good to go for another couple years.

Well you see, I have someone who wants to buy it. I just need to dust it off a little and give them a price to see if they want it. Im building a new rig!!!

Thats where you guys come in and tell me a fair price!! So please if $300 too low, maybe $400? I did a pcpartpicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GgRKjX
Came out around $600 but that would be if the parts were all new. All I can say is I never OC'd anything so these parts will last a long while still!

Well you see, I have someone who wants to buy it. I just need to dust it off a little and give them a price to see if they want it. Im building a new rig!!!

Thats where you guys come in and tell me a fair price!! So please if $300 too low, maybe $400? I did a pcpartpicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GgRKjX
Came out around $600 but that would be if the parts were all new. All I can say is I never OC'd anything so these parts will last a long while still!

Maybe $350, maybe $400? Check on ebay, see what the parts go for (mainly the $$ ones, e.g. CPU).

Mystic654

Sweet Caselabs, dream build. I'd love to get a similar caselabs case with smoked windows, but shipping one across the world costs a lot.

How's the EK AIO? Does the pump make any noise or buzzing?

I run the fans at 1200 RPM, so the their is zero noise coming from it. Once you increase it to 2200 you will hear but lower RPM you will not hear it. You can barely hear my system, all my fans are running at 1000 RPM.

nick nacc

Banned
Anyone got experience modding a powermac g5? I got a shell of craiglist. Its the sexiest case in history so I am going to shove the guts of my current rig (h440) into it.

bucklam66

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BWkfWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BWkfWZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($23.75 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 4GB Video Card ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $311.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-25 22:29 EDT-0400

Would this work as a entry level gaming pc, not looking to go over 1080p 30fps (have case, optical drive, etc.)

ROG PG278Q is the current 1440p g-sync TN option. It's been on sale as low as 575 recently. XB270HU is the IPS option, should be down to a bit over 700 at this point.

But... Several new monitors are either just now out or coming out in the next month, including some ultra-wides, the ROG PG279Q (IPS version of the 278), and a Dell 1440p TN screen.

If you can hold off another month or so, expect prices on the current stuff to drop a bit more when those all hit the market.

Summoner

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BWkfWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BWkfWZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($23.75 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 4GB Video Card ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $311.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-25 22:29 EDT-0400

Would this work as a entry level gaming pc, not looking to go over 1080p 30fps (have case, optical drive, etc.)
That will depend on what games you plan to get. Can you list some some? Particularly the ones you think might be resource heavy?

bucklam66

That will depend on what games you plan to get. Can you list some some? Particularly the ones you think might be resource heavy?

Tales of zesteria, dark souls games, wasteland 2, will probably want to play fallout 4, but would settle for 720p on that, I have a lot of older games from the last time I built a pc in 2008 so I'm assuming all of those will run fine.

ruttyboy

It looks like the internal graphics on my 6700k just fall short of what I need it for (modded Minecraft). I was planning to wait until the new cards next year before buying one, but now I'm thinking I might get a stop-gap card.

If I was wanting to spend as little as possible (<£100 definitely), what would my options be? It looks like I can get a 750Ti for under that, but I have no idea about AMD cards, are there any better options there?

Thanks in advance.

Ryne

Any good suggestions for a set of speakers? My budget is about 150 USD, and I'm looking for a good 2.1 set with nice bass levels.

I currently use a Z623, but after having the left speaker die on my again (this is the second set I've had), I want something new.

It looks like the internal graphics on my 6700k just fall short of what I need it for (modded Minecraft). I was planning to wait until the new cards next year before buying one, but now I'm thinking I might get a stop-gap card.

If I was wanting to spend as little as possible (<£100 definitely), what would my options be? It looks like I can get a 750Ti for under that, but I have no idea about AMD cards, are there any better options there?

Thanks in advance.

You might want to consider buying used if it's going to be a stop-gap card. In terms of new cards, I'm not sure about the AMD side but maybe see also if the Nvidia 950 fits in your budget.

ruttyboy

You might want to consider buying used if it's going to be a stop-gap card. In terms of new cards, I'm not sure about the AMD side but maybe see also if the Nvidia 950 fits in your budget.

I had a look on ebay but all the used cards (of which there were few) seemed to be going for retail prices anyway. For a tenner difference or something, I'll just buy a new one then I get the guarantee etc..

I had a look at 950s but the cheapest I could find was £120 and I really don't want to go over £100 if possible. Thanks though :)

Do you guys recommend G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4-3000 or Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz?

G.Skill has the price, while Corsair has a low-height profile that would allow me to use the Noctua NH-D15 in dual-fan mode (vs. single-fan mode).

i.e. ignoring the 200MHz speed difference, and assuming both product lines are of similar quality, would it be worth paying more to be able to use both fans on my air cooler?

Any good suggestions for a set of speakers? My budget is about 150 USD, and I'm looking for a good 2.1 set with nice bass levels.

I currently use a Z623, but after having the left speaker die on my again (this is the second set I've had), I want something new.
M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakers

RGM79

Do you guys recommend G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4-3000 or Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz?

G.Skill has the price, while Corsair has a low-height profile that would allow me to use the Noctua NH-D15 in dual-fan mode (vs. single-fan mode).

i.e. ignoring the 200MHz speed difference, and assuming both product lines are of similar quality, would it be worth paying more to be able to use both fans on my air cooler?

M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakers

You can use the NH-D15 with Ripjaws V RAM in the Define R5 case. The fan is attached to the heatsink with these metal clips and they can be repositioned to allow the fan to be placed higher, allowing taller RAM underneath. I have the Define S case with NH-D15 and Ripjaws V RAM, and our cases have the same available height for CPU coolers (180mm). Here's a picture of what I mean:
IMG_6147.JPG

The clips can slot into any spot in between the heatsink fins.

You can use the NH-D15 with Ripjaws V RAM in the Define R5 case. The fan is attached to the heatsink with these metal clips and they can be repositioned to allow the fan to be placed higher, allowing taller RAM underneath. I have the Define S case with NH-D15 and Ripjaws V RAM, and our cases have the same available height for CPU coolers (180mm). Here's a picture of what I mean:
IMG_6147.JPG

The clips can slot into any spot in between the heatsink fins.

Okay, awesome thanks! Are the two brands pretty close in quality? Or do you recommend the Ripjaws particularly since you use them yourself?

ROG PG278Q is the current 1440p g-sync TN option. It's been on sale as low as 575 recently. XB270HU is the IPS option, should be down to a bit over 700 at this point.

But... Several new monitors are either just now out or coming out in the next month, including some ultra-wides, the ROG PG279Q (IPS version of the 278), and a Dell 1440p TN screen.

If you can hold off another month or so, expect prices on the current stuff to drop a bit more when those all hit the market.

ah, cool. I think the dell one is out now but I can easily hold off another month. I have a 1440p monitor right now but it's one of the cheaper models and is only 60hz, so its mainly a 144hz/gsync upgrade (though I'm sure the screen will be much nicer)

I'm wanting to stay under 800, do we have any ideas what the ROG will be and when? I think thats the one I want to go with

RGM79

Okay, awesome thanks! Are the two brands pretty close in quality? Or do you recommend the Ripjaws particularly since you use them yourself?

G.Skill RAM always seems to be at a decent price and I haven't had a problem with them. One stick of Ripjaws RAM from 2009 died on me last year and I got an replacement from G.Skill thanks to their lifetime warranty. No fuss, didn't even have to provide proof of purchase (lost that long ago). I've owned like 8 sticks of G.Skill DDR3 over the years for my own builds, and I've been happy.

I don't really think there should be anything wrong with Corsair either, but I have less experience with their RAM. I had a 2x8GB set of Corsair Dominator 1866MHz DDR3 RAM and I sold that to my friend who is using it with no problems at the moment. Just get whatever seems best and is in stock. I don't know exactly how much the prices are for from the stores you're looking at, but unless the difference in price is tiny, you'll be just fine with 3000MHz.

My nearly silent entertainment, design, and gaming pc:

Intel 5820K @ 4.4ghz 1.28v
Corsair h100i GTX
Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb @ 3000mhz
MSi R9 390X 8G @ 1150mhz
EVGA G2 850W PSU
Samsung EVO 850 500 gb SSD
Fractal Design R5
Windows 10

ecNSroW.jpg

kRxv80k.jpg

So for this gaming build I've been working on, everything should be compatible but PC Part Picker has a compatibility note about the M.2 SSD:

The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA Express port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA Express port is disabled.

The ASUS Z170-DELUXE spec sheet indeed says "The M.2 socket shares SATA ports with SATA Express. Adjust BIOS settings to use an M.2 SATA device." I'm not sure what I'd put in a SATA express port or how it's different from the normal SATA ports, of which there are plenty.

Is this going to cause a problem, or is it a non-issue? The idea is to boot Windows from the M.2 SSD, because it's supposed to be way faster than the standard SATA SSDs like 850 EVO etc. and I don't mind spending extra money on the M.2 format if it's going to give Windows some crazy speed.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Just finished my PC, lost a few photos.

I see you went x99 and 5900K series. I'm trying to put something together so I can play Fallout 4 and replay Skyrim (stably) and I really want to go with Z170 and 6700K series processors but I've felt the cut of bleeding edge twice and people still seem to be going x99 this late in the game. What made you go x99 but still pick up DDR4?

Durante

X99 is the only current Intel consumer platform on which you can get processors with more than 4 cores, and quad-channel memory.

I don't really understand your second question, you don't have any choice in the matter of going DDR4 if you go with the X9 platform.

After getting advice from people in this thread (thanks RGM) and doing more research to understand my needs, I think this is the final parts list I'm going to go with. Just wanted to get one last round of input before I start acquiring pieces in case there is something I'm missing.

Note, I want a blu-ray drive for movies. I may drop down to 8GB ram depending on how the prices all work out with tax. I could also opt for a cheaper monitor but the ultrawide seems like it would be great for games and writing. I often gave at least one set of notes and a webpage open when I'm writing and the extra screen real estate would be great to have.

Gaming wise I'm looking for 1080p at near max settings with compatibility with Oculus in the future.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QF9cXL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QF9cXL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($151.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($88.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($315.19 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.95 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: LG 25UM57-P 60Hz 25.0" Monitor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1349.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-26 13:54 EDT-0400

ah, cool. I think the dell one is out now but I can easily hold off another month. I have a 1440p monitor right now but it's one of the cheaper models and is only 60hz, so its mainly a 144hz/gsync upgrade (though I'm sure the screen will be much nicer)

I'm wanting to stay under 800, do we have any ideas what the ROG will be and when? I think thats the one I want to go with

Yeah, I am kind of in the same situation.

New ROG is supposed to be 799 MSRP, and out this month. It's reviewed by TFT Central and others, and looks pretty darn good. I expect it may be somewhat hard to get your hands on... But if nothing else it should provide a bit more price pressure for the Acer or the TN version.

Detox

My friend is going to give me a 7970 but the fans do not work. He says the fans spin if he spins it once with his fingers and they'll reach full speed. Is it possible to replace the fans?

RGM79

So for this gaming build I've been working on, everything should be compatible but PC Part Picker has a compatibility note about the M.2 SSD:

The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA Express port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA Express port is disabled.

The ASUS Z170-DELUXE spec sheet indeed says "The M.2 socket shares SATA ports with SATA Express. Adjust BIOS settings to use an M.2 SATA device." I'm not sure what I'd put in a SATA express port or how it's different from the normal SATA ports, of which there are plenty.

Is this going to cause a problem, or is it a non-issue? The idea is to boot Windows from the M.2 SSD, because it's supposed to be way faster than the standard SATA SSDs like 850 EVO etc. and I don't mind spending extra money on the M.2 format if it's going to give Windows some crazy speed.

Non-issue. SATA express is considered a failure, it didn't gain that much attention from manufacturers and there are very few devices that actually use SATA Express ports. The most useful thing you can buy for SATA Express are front panel USB 3.1 ports.

My friend is going to give me a 7970 but the fans do not work. He says the fans spin if he spins it once with his fingers and they'll reach full speed. Is it possible to replace the fans?
Yes, most likely. Which model of HD7970 is it? Model number would be preferable.

Well you should be able to replace the whole cooler/heatsink and fans by just unscrewing (usually) 4 screws, unplugging the little fan connector inside and simply popping off the whole lot, exposing the PCB and GPU (you'll hear a little crack as the heatsink thermal paste separates from GPU lid). Then maybe find a replacement cooler or spares to pop on your card.

Dunno about replacing individual fans. Might be more hassle than it's worth as sounds like the whole cooling system is faulty.

Detox

Yes, most likely. Which model of HD7970 is it? Model number would be preferable.

Well you should be able to replace the whole cooler/heatsink and fans by just unscrewing (usually) 4 screws, unplugging the little fan connector inside and simply popping off the whole lot, exposing the PCB and GPU (you'll hear a little crack as the heatsink thermal paste separates from GPU lid). Then maybe find a replacement cooler or spares to pop on your card.

Dunno about replacing individual fans. Might be more hassle than it's worth as sounds like the whole cooling system is faulty.

Thanks for the quick replies. The card is 3GB MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom