• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the MG297Q for my wife. It has better image quality than my LG. She likes it. It doesn't have G-sync but it does have Adaptive Sync, so if Nvidia ever decides to start supporting the VESA standard, then you'd be set...

My wife has an AMD GPU so she's getting the Freesync benefit. It really comes down to wherther you think it's worth it.

Nice! Yeah, MG279Q seems like a great monitor. Doubt I'll ever be able to use FreeSync on it though. Nvidia will benefit from G-Sync for as long as they can, and considering the market advantage they have right now ... it might be a while.

But even if Nvidia did support FreeSync, 30-90Hz is a bit on the lower end for a gaming monitor. I'd really miss those extra 54Hz, or 75Hz even!

Honestly, though, if you're going to be gaming at 120+ FPS, you don't really need G-sync, Freesync, or Vsync. The frames are going by so fast that the effects of screen tearing stop being noticeable... for me anyway... It's just not there anymore.

Yep, I've though about this as well. I'm quite happy with performance on my current monitor (Asus VG248QE) in 144Hz. Tearing is minimal and stuttering is minimal, and my framerates are mostly over 100s. So I'm skeptical if it's worth it, but the praise for G-Sync has been insane. "The ultimate gaming upgrade" has been mentioned a hundred times in here, at least.

Flare

So my 5 to 6 year old GPU died a couple days ago and I've been looking for a replace to last me as long. I have two 1070s in my sight, just wanted a few opinions before I pull the trigger.

The first being a Zotac: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814500401
and the second an EVGA: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...rebbr=1&_ga=1.219349529.1623928972.1473807312

Sorry if the URLs are a bit long. I'd appreciate some thoughts or better alternatives keeping in mind that I'm in Canada (for prices). Thanks guys.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I installed a HDD to my PC (SSD main drive) and it slowed my boot-time to a CRAWL, even after confirming boot order in BIOS. Very weird, first time I've experienced an issue like this. Unplugged it and PC is running normally. I wonder what went wrong.

Nice! Yeah, MG279Q seems like a great monitor. Doubt I'll ever be able to use FreeSync on it though. Nvidia will benefit from G-Sync for as long as they can, and considering the market advantage they have right now ... it might be a while.

But even if Nvidia did support FreeSync, 30-90Hz is a bit on the lower end for a gaming monitor. I'd really miss those extra 54Hz, or 75Hz even!

Yep, I've though about this as well. I'm quite happy with performance on my current monitor (Asus VG248QE) in 144Hz. Tearing is minimal and stuttering is minimal, and my framerates are mostly over 100s. So I'm skeptical if it's worth it, but the praise for G-Sync has been insane. "The ultimate gaming upgrade" has been mentioned a hundred times in here, at least.

I only ever see a benefit from adaptive refresh rates when you can't maintain 120+ FPS. It's in games that the framerate dips a lot, or your PC just can't get the high framerate that it becomes a benefit.

He's buying an aftermarket cooler. He should buy one that isn't shitty.

I'm sorry, but this line of reasoning just doesn't make any sense.

You are suggesting that someone spends extra money for something that is not going to provide any actual benefit.

the 212 EVO is way more than enough for a locked CPU. Hell, it's enough for most oversclocks.

Just because someone is already spending a lot of money on their build is no justification for telling them they should be wasting money when there's no need or real benefit.

Dubz

Damnit, I just can't decide on a monitor! I'm torn between Asus MG279Q, Acer XB271HU and Asus PG279Q.

They're all 1440p, IPS and 144Hz, but the current pros and cons are:

Asus MG279Q (~$600)

• [+] Almost reasonable price
  • [+] More inputs
  • [-] No G-Sync
  • [-] Possibly somewhat worse IQ than the rest, but not sure
Acer XB271HU (~$830)

• [+] G-Sync
  • [+] Seems to have less backlight bleeding than any of these
  • [+] 165Hz
  • [-] Expensive
  • [-] Not in stock anywhere
Asus PG279Q (~$860)

• [+] G-Sync
  • [+] 165Hz
  • [-] Expensive

A part of me tells me I shouldn't get a monitor without G-Sync if I'm putting down $600. But is G-Sync worth $230-$260 extra?
Get Gsync. It's the best thing I ever did.

I only ever see a benefit from adaptive refresh rates when you can't maintain 120+ FPS. It's in games that the framerate dips a lot, or your PC just can't get the high framerate that it becomes a benefit.

Yeah. I'll try to get a look at a G-Sync monitor tomorrow I think.

I mean, even if I have a 1080, I really can't expect constant >100fps in most games at 1440p, existing or incoming ones.

Get Gsync. It's the best thing I ever did.

Nice. What kind of monitor did you upgrade from? GPU?

Damnit, I just can't decide on a monitor! I'm torn between Asus MG279Q, Acer XB271HU and Asus PG279Q.

Asus MG279Q (~$600)

• [+] More inputs
  • [-] No G-Sync
Acer XB271HU (~$830)

• [+] G-Sync
  • [+] 165Hz
  • [-] Expensive
Asus PG279Q (~$860)

• [+] G-Sync
  • [+] 165Hz
  • [-] Expensive

A part of me tells me I shouldn't get a monitor without G-Sync if I'm putting down $600. But is G-Sync worth $230-$260 extra?

I have an Acer XB270HU, which is the previous model to the Acer you have listed, and I adore it. Everything looks amazing and g sync makes everything silky smooth. I picked it up at my local microcenter for $549 + tax. The only downing is it doesn't look as "gamer" as the new model

I'm sorry, but this line of reasoning just doesn't make any sense.

You are suggesting that someone spends extra money for something that is not going to provide any actual benefit.

the 212 EVO is way more than enough for a locked CPU. Hell, it's enough for most oversclocks.

Just because someone is already spending a lot of money on their build is no justification for telling them they should be wasting money when there's no need or real benefit.

This has been covered to death in this thread. The 212 is a budget option. It's louder, hotter, and more difficult to install than almost any other air cooler. Its only redeeming characteristic is its low cost. Since the dude asking for advice wanted an aftermarket cooler and wasn't putting together a bargain-basement build, the 212 wasn't appropriate.

I'm sorry if you were given bad advice and bought one of these yourself. Take your confirmation bias somewhere else.

Asus MG279Q (~$600)

• [+] More inputs
  • [-] No G-Sync
Acer XB271HU (~$830)

• [+] G-Sync
  • [+] 165Hz
  • [-] Expensive
Asus PG279Q (~$860)

• [+] G-Sync
  • [+] 165Hz
  • [-] Expensive

I just got my Acer XB271HU today. It was worth every penny.

I have an Acer XB270HU, which is the previous model to the Acer you have listed, and I adore it. Everything looks amazing and g sync makes everything silky smooth. I picked it up at my local microcenter for $549 + tax. The only downing is it doesn't look as "gamer" as the new model

I just got my Acer XB271HU today. It was worth every penny.

I'm glad you like it!

What's your setup, if you don't mind me asking?

-----

Are they working on supporting G-Sync in movies btw? Or is it already supported? I'd need that if I bought the PG279Q since it has a locked 165Hz refresh rate in desktop mode.

Either by changing the refresh rate straight to 24Hz or a multiple of 24; like 48.

I installed a HDD to my PC (SSD main drive) and it slowed my boot-time to a CRAWL, even after confirming boot order in BIOS. Very weird, first time I've experienced an issue like this. Unplugged it and PC is running normally. I wonder what went wrong.

Was this a new HDD or was there an old os on it?

kuYuri

I'm glad you like it!

-----

Are they working on supporting G-Sync in movies btw? Or is it already supported? I'd need that if I bought the PG279Q since it has a locked 165Hz refresh rate in desktop mode.

Either by changing the refresh rate straight to 24Hz or a multiple of 24; like 48.

I got the XB270HU and will echo the sentiments. It was expensive (I got it on a deal at $640 plus tax last year), but so worth it. It's just beautiful. Keep in mind these monitors are designed to last years, no different from someone buying an expensive TV is how I thought about it.

Not sure what possible benefit G-Sync would have for movies. Movies don't have changing framerates or suffer from screen tear last I checked?

I'm glad you like it!

-----

I'm running a 6600k with a gtx 1070 and 16gm of ram. Not sure about g sync working with movies or not.

This has been covered to death in this thread. The 212 is a budget option. It's louder, hotter, and more difficult to install than almost any other air cooler. Its only redeeming characteristic is its low cost. Since the dude asking for advice wanted an aftermarket cooler and wasn't putting together a bargain-basement build, the 212 wasn't appropriate.

I'm sorry if you were given bad advice and bought one of these yourself. Take your confirmation bias somewhere else.

Damn all those tech sites and people in this very thread that recommend the 212 are all full of shit huh? You are literally one of the only people I have ever seen who hates the 212. Is it the best air cooler? Ofc not. But unless you are going for a ridiculous overclock its more than enough for the majority of people. For a locked processor even more so. If you are going to talk shit at least list some coolers at the same price that perform as good or better otherwise you just sound like a prick.

Ive been trying to decide which case to get for like two weeks, ha, jeez, have like five cases that I like.

Phanteks Eclipse
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Zalman Z9 Neo
InWin 303
NZXT S340 (which I had before but would repurchase because its a fantastic case.)

Have a couple of more that Im looking at.

I got the XB270HU and will echo the sentiments. It was expensive (I got it on a deal at $640 plus tax last year), but so worth it. It's just beautiful. Keep in mind these monitors are designed to last years, no different from someone buying an expensive TV is how I thought about it.

Not sure what possible benefit G-Sync would have for movies. Movies don't have changing framerates or suffer from screen tear last I checked?

Absolutely, that's how I'm trying to justify it as well. :) And the fact that I'll be using it pretty much daily.

The only benefit of having G-Sync in movies would be if your display is locked at a refresh rate that isn't a multiple of 24 (the framerate of the movie).

It's not optimal to play 24Hz content on a 165Hz display, for example, since they don't sync well. The result would be framedrops and/or presentation glitches. The same goes for 60Hz displays.

It's not confirmation bias, it's common sense. If you aren't going for a high overclock, there's no benefit to buying a more expensive cooler. It is literally a waste of money with no benefit at all.

Suggesting anything more costly than the 212 for a non-K CPU is like suggesting someone buy a Maximus VIII for a locked CPU.

It's not only bad advice and a waste of money, it shows a lack of understanding of what the higher performance parts were designed for.

The 212 is whisper quiet with stock CPU clocks. Your advice and reasoning for spending more money makes no sense.

If anyone here has confirmation bias, it's you trying to jump through leaps in logic to justify a more expensive part that's not going to benefit in any way. I have an AIO in my gaming rig and the Prolimatech PROSAM 17 in my livingroom PC, btw.

And... the 212 is not difficult to install. It's pretty straightforward. Zalman coolers are a bit tricky, though. The CNPS8900 Quiet was the bane of my existence when I installed one for my dad's PC...

mulac

Ive been trying to decide which case to get for like two weeks, ha, jeez, have like five cases that I like.

Phanteks Eclipse
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Zalman Z9 Neo
InWin 303
NZXT S340 (which I had before but would repurchase because its a fantastic case.)

Have a couple of more that Im looking at.

Similar position the last few days - I was looking for something to replace my old Node 605 which has started getting hot as i crammed a GTX 1060 into it.

Ended up pulling the trigger on the InWin 303 + 5 new Noctua fans for cooling. Will post my thoughts when it arrives next week but after reading the reviews, videos etc i'm happy - the lounge i have is pretty minimilistic so it will be nice to have something techy sitting next to my tv that looks cool.

Plus reviews are very positive about the InWin's airflow and cooling ability (just not so much on cable management but thats part of the fun!).

Good luck.

It's not confirmation bias, it's common sense. If you aren't going for a high overclock, there's no benefit to buying a more expensive cooler. It is literally a waste of money with no benefit at all.

Suggesting anything more costly than the 212 for a non-K CPU is like suggesting someone buy a Maximus VIII for a locked CPU.

It's not only bad advice and a waste of money, it shows a lack of understanding of what the better coolers were designed for.

The 212 is whisper quiet with stock CPU clocks. Your advice and reasoning for spending more money makes no sense.

If anyone here has confirmation bias, it's you trying to jump through leaps in logic to justify a more expensive part that's not going to benefit in any way. I have an AIO in my gaming rig and the Prolimatech PROSAM 17 in my livingroom PC, btw.

And... the 212 is not difficult to install. It's pretty straightforward. Zalman coolers are a bit tricky, though. The CNPS8900 Quiet was the bane of my existence when I installed one for my dad's PC...

Seriously it's hard to take him seriously when he said the 212 is loud and hard to install. It may slice a knuckle but difficult to install? It's no different than most air coolers.

MrOogieBoogie

Was this a new HDD or was there an old os on it?

Old OS. It was my main drive on an older Windows 10 build. When I got an SSD I did a full clone to SSD, OS included, and it worked fine. I upgraded my motherboard a few days ago but only connected my SSD, and in that time I upgraded to the Anniversary edition of Windows 10. Now, reconnecting my HDD, boot-up lasts about five minutes. Not even kidding. lol

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.38 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $567.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-15 23:52 EDT-0400

Wow so this is my first time actually sitting down and drafting up my PC... I didn't really sit down and do a lot of homework on the parts but I pretty much picked everything I needed for spec.

What I want is a mid-tier budget workstation. I would like to do audio editing and video production, and the luxury of PC gaming of course. My money is kind of tight but I know that If I had a good PC, I could be making more money.

I thought about it and against my nerdy wants, I don't need to buy a GPU right now. Somehow my build still came up to about 550$ GPU wise, I was planning a 1060/480. My original budget was 600$ with a GPU, I wonder if thats still possible seeing this.

Any suggestions to shave the price with a balance in similar performance? Also would I have decent performance gaming on the iGPU at 720?

Old OS. It was my main drive on an older Windows 10 build. When I got an SSD I did a full clone to SSD, OS included, and it worked fine. I upgraded my motherboard a few days ago but only connected my SSD, and in that time I upgraded to the Anniversary edition of Windows 10. Now, reconnecting my HDD, boot-up lasts about five minutes. Not even kidding. lol

Yea that old os is messing with the boot process. Even if you set the boot order having a drive that has an old os can mess with the startup. I'm not quite sure how to fix that without deleting the old drives partitions / reformatting it.

MrOogieBoogie

Yea that old os is messing with the boot process. Even if you set the boot order having a drive that has an old os can mess with the startup. I'm not quite sure how to fix that without deleting the old drives partitions / reformatting it.

How come it worked perfectly when I had cloned the HDD to SSD and ran both installed with OSs on them?

Damn all those tech sites and people in this very thread that recommend the 212 are all full of shit huh? You are literally one of the only people I have ever seen who hates the 212. Is it the best air cooler? Ofc not. But unless you are going for a ridiculous overclock its more than enough for the majority of people. For a locked processor even more so. If you are going to talk shit at least list some coolers at the same price that perform as good or better otherwise you just sound like a prick.

If any "tech site" recommends the 212 for anything but a budget build, it's not worth paying attention to.

It's not only bad advice and a waste of money, it shows a lack of understanding of what the higher performance parts were designed for.

If you think the 212 is "whisper quiet," you don't know what that means.

This shouldn't be hard to understand. The dude is buying nice stuff. The 212 doesn't qualify as nice stuff. You could find cheaper options for every one of the components he chose that would be "good enough." Why is the cpu cooler the one part that you want to go budget on? Is the $25 one saves by choosing the 212 worth more than the $50 one saves by getting a cheaper motherboard?

This stupid cooler has been in the recommended build list, even for the enthusiast build, for five years. It gets recommended by people despite empirical tests showing that it's a poor performer. Why? I don't know.

Ask anyone who's used the 212 then used a better air cooler if they'd go back for $25.

Sidebar: your AIO wasn't the best choice either. I guarantee you there's a cooler, quieter air cooler at the same price or lower. In your own words, "your advice and reasoning for spending more money makes no sense."

Wow so this is my first time actually sitting down and drafting up my PC... I didn't really sit down and do a lot of homework on the parts but I pretty much picked everything I needed for spec.

What I want is a mid-tier budget workstation. I would like to do audio editing and video production, and the luxury of PC gaming of course. My money is kind of tight but I know that If I had a good PC, I could be making more money.

I thought about it and against my nerdy wants, I don't need to buy a GPU right now. Somehow my build still came up to about 550$ GPU wise, I was planning a 1060/480. My original budget was 600$ with a GPU, I wonder if thats still possible seeing this.

Any suggestions to shave the price with a balance in similar performance? Also would I have decent performance gaming on the iGPU at 720?

If you aren't going to get a K processor you can get a cheaper motherboard. Try to get 4GBx2 ram, so you can take advantage of dual channel. You don't need a gpu but you'll want a real gpu before long if you want to play games even just occasionally. Look at the 470 or wait for the 1050. Is buying used an option? If so you could look for something like a used 970. There will be afew on your local Craigslist for sure. Also you could drop your psu to something like the evga 600b.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If someone doesn't even have a K CPU I wouldn't even recommend anything over the stock cooler, unless silence is more of a priority than cost.

I still want to downgrade to an 120mm AIO but I have no idea which.

Not to mention the air cooler that does match it will be freaking huge and heavy.

And this is why.

If any "tech site" recommends the 212 for anything but a budget build, it's not worth paying attention to.

This shouldn't be hard to understand. The dude is buying nice stuff. The 212 doesn't qualify as nice stuff. You could find cheaper options for every one of the components he chose that would be "good enough." Why is the cpu cooler the one part that you want to go budget on? Is the $25 one saves by choosing the 212 worth more than the $50 one saves by getting a cheaper motherboard?

This stupid cooler has been in the recommended build list, even for the enthusiast build, for five years. It gets recommended by people despite empirical tests showing that it's a poor performer. Why? I don't know.

Ask anyone who's used the 212 then used a better air cooler if they'd go back for $25.

Sidebar: your AIO wasn't the best choice either. I guarantee you there's a cooler, quieter air cooler at the same price or lower. In your own words, "your advice and reasoning for spending more money makes no sense."

Yes we get your point and there's a ring of truth to it but the way you talk makes it hard to agree with you. You want to be helpful throw some examples out there instead of talking down to everyone. Not everyone wants to go through this large thread looking for posts talking about what cooler to get.

And you are mistaken about AIOs some of them reach temps (esp at high/max overclock) that the best air coolers will not reach.

I'm using this AIO in a build:

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2016/0...ezer_240_aio_cpu_cooler_review/3#.V9t1xKApBnE

You would need a more expensive air cooler to match the performance of that aio. Not to mention the air cooler that does match it will be freaking huge and heavy.

SpacLock

I've been thinking about doing this for years, but I never end up pulling the trigger.

I think I'm ready.

I read through the OP and I'm still a little lost. I think I just need a little simple explanation of what I should be looking for, or trying to acquire based on my idea of a gaming PC tailored to me.

I like playing competitive online multiplayer. Not saying I'm any good, and to be honest I never really have time to become good, I just enjoy it. So I'm going to need something that will run most newer games fairly well. Good frame rate, resolution, etc.

Also, after playing Forza H3 on Xbox One I could only dream of how it would look on a good PC. I'll worry about a wheel in the future, but if there are any suggestions go for it.

Anyway, the only thing I have towards a complete setup is a monitor, desk, and a gaming headset. Well, monitors can add a lot to the final price of a decent setup, so at least I have that out of the way.

I'm not trying to go pro in anything, so I don't need to turn my gaming room neon blue with a neon keyboard and mouse, but I would like a kb/m combo that wouldn't leave me at too much of a disadvantage. I'm really clueless in this area too.

My budget is $800ish, and I could go higher, but to be honest I'd like to keep it low. I'd actually prefer cheaper, but I'd like a little future proofing in this thing.

With all that said, any tips or advice from anyone would be very much appreciated.

So everything is running amazing on my 1070 but fucking Heartstone of all games. It runs at like 20 FPS and is choppy as fuck. I deleted and reinstalled but nothing changes. Any suggestions?

Duress

If I have Windows 10 on two hard drives would they conflict with each other? I only ask because i have a regular hdd with Windows 10 and now I'm going to iclean nstall Windows 10 to a ssd

kuYuri

Absolutely, that's how I'm trying to justify it as well. :) And the fact that I'll be using it pretty much daily.

The only benefit of having G-Sync in movies would be if your display is locked at a refresh rate that isn't a multiple of 24 (the framerate of the movie).

It's not optimal to play 24Hz content on a 165Hz display, for example, since they don't sync well. The result would be framedrops and/or presentation glitches. The same goes for 60Hz displays.

I've personally never had issues watching movies or TV shows or anything that's 24hz on my 144hz monitor. It looks fine to me. If that's an issue for you, you can always manually set the monitor refresh rate to 24hz.

Bloodember

Here's a build for a little over $600 with a GPU, your not going to be able to game very well with the iGPU.

Link to Part list

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($50.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 460 4GB Red Dragon Video Card ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $614.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-16 00:44 EDT-0400

I left the case alone, as I figured that is the one you wanted. If not any case for a mATX or ATX will work. You don't need an aftermarket cooler as the CPU comes with one. I left the RAM as one module, so you can add another 8gb latter to get Dual Channel support. If you need a copy of Windows, use Reddit, you can get a key for about $20 I think.

The 212 EVO at full load is 32.4dB. That edges out the Noctua D14 at 100%.
That's at a fan speed that the stock clocked CPU is highly unlikely to EVER need the fan to go.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPUCooling/774

It's a proper quiet upgrade for a stock CPU.

Saying someone needs or should buy something more expensive for the hell of it is ridiculous.

Honestly, how do you not understand this? paying extra for other things will be of absolutely no benefit.

Sidebar: The reason we are having this conversation is because I'm trying to stop the poster from following your advice and making the same mistake I did. I followed someone's advice, who like you didn't know what he was talking about, and I ended up wasting money on a more expensive cooler than I needed.

A agree that there are better coolers than the 212, but that doesn't mean that every use case needs one of those coolers. If he were getting an overclockable CPU, I'd be suggesting the D15.

Almost done. Stress-testing with overclocks

hbB8yZnl.jpg

EUk8imwl.jpg

v5Uwmkkl.jpg

JsUaTrkl.jpg

LEJSdKXl.jpg

i7 5930K, 32GB DDR4-3200, Titan X Pascal in SLI.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a build for a little over $600 with a GPU, your not going to be able to game very well with the iGPU.

Link to Part list

I left the case alone, as I figured that is the one you wanted. If not any case for a mATX or ATX will work. You don't need an aftermarket cooler as the CPU comes with one. I left the RAM as one module, so you can add another 8gb latter to get Dual Channel support. If you need a copy of Windows, use Reddit, you can get a key for about $20 I think.

Soemthing along these lines would also work for SpacLock. With his budget he could bump up the GPU to a 470 and get a B150 motherboard, with budget to spare for a nice mouse and keyboard (which I have no suggestions for).

Cryorig H7 for your stock CPU, water cooler is a waste of money.
So everything is running amazing on my 1070 but fucking Heartstone of all games. It runs at like 20 FPS and is choppy as fuck. I deleted and reinstalled but nothing changes. Any suggestions?
If "G-Sync for Borderless Window" is on, turn it off.

If you aren't going to get a K processor you can get a cheaper motherboard. Try to get 4GBx2 ram, so you can take advantage of dual channel. You don't need a gpu but you'll want a real gpu before long if you want to play games even just occasionally. Look at the 470 or wait for the 1050. Is buying used an option? If so you could look for something like a used 970. There will be afew on your local Craigslist for sure. Also you could drop your psu to something like the evga 600b.

I don't mind buying a used GPU but I am looking at Pascal so I'd def get a 1060 or better. I figured my PSU would be a little over the top. I didn't see 2GBx2 DDR4 but maybe I didn't look good enough.

Link to Part list

omg thank you so much, Its like exactly what Im looking for, Brings it to 491 without the GPU! That's totally doable for me!

Aklavine

Neo Member
If you only want to upgrade cpu then buy a 4790k. Kaby lake is coming but not soon and you will have to upgrade the motherboard and ram. Plus it likely won't bring too much improvement over the 4790k.

The 4790k is still very good and should be quite a boost for you.

Thanks for the answer. Should I purchase a new cpu cooler too?

jfoul

6-32 screws. Any hardware store should have them. Just bring an extra screw to make sure it's the same length.

Thanks, that's helps out. I think I found the correct lengths, and description for the screws & washers.

• Long Screw - 8x 6/32 x 1.25" Black Oxide
  • Short Screw - 8x 6/32 x 3/8" Black Oxide
  • Washer 8x - 6/32 Black Oxide

I've personally never had issues watching movies or TV shows or anything that's 24hz on my 144hz monitor. It looks fine to me. If that's an issue for you, you can always manually set the monitor refresh rate to 24hz.
144Hz is a multiple of 24, so it's actually perfect for movie playback. :)

And I don't think you can set the refresh rate to 24 on these monitors.

I'm running a 6600k with a gtx 1070 and 16gm of ram. Not sure about g sync working with movies or not.

i7 6700k
GeForce GTX 1080
16 GB RAM
Cool, that's basically my setup!

The 212 EVO at full load is 32.4dB. That edges out the Noctua D14 at 100%.
That's at a fan speed that the stock clocked CPU is highly unlikely to EVER need the fan to go.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPUCooling/774

It's a proper quiet upgrade for a stock CPU.

Saying someone needs or should buy something more expensive for the hell of it is ridiculous.

Honestly, how do you not understand this? paying extra for other things will be of absolutely no benefit.

Sidebar: The reason we are having this conversation is because I'm trying to stop the poster from following your advice and making the same mistake I did. I followed someone's advice, who like you didn't know what he was talking about, and I ended up wasting money on a more expensive cooler than I needed.

A agree that there are better coolers than the 212, but that doesn't mean that every use case needs one of those coolers. If he were getting an overclockable CPU, I'd be suggesting the D15.

If you're going to quote tests, pick one that's either more comprehensive in its selection or published in the last couple of years. Notice that there are zero Cryorig coolers in that Anandtech comparison. And only one Bequiet cooler--that's four years old. Both companies make models better than the 212 in every category for $10-$20 more, which again, is less than the premium on some of the other parts in the original poster's build.

That cooler sucks. There are better things that deserve a defense force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom