• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The value of the decibel hasn't changed, but the number of options producing fewer of them has increased. Here's a review of the Cryorig H7.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/

It's cooler, quieter, easier to install and offers better performance per dollar than the 212, which it was tested against. It even looks better.

Like I've been saying, the 212 is a bad choice unless price is your only criterion. Unless someone is pinching every penny, it's worth the $5 premium to get the better product.

All the bickering could have been avoided if your initial post was this.

It's certainly a reasonable position and the H7 does offer more performance per dollar and everyone that comments on it says it's easier to install so that's a great suggestion. I have actually not heard about the h7 until recently so I didn't know there was something so close in price that performs a bit better.

Cyrillus

My poor R9 390 is struggling to keep up with my 2 1440p monitors, and I'm looking at upgrade options. My main monitor is a BenQ XL2730Z and my 2nd monitor is a Monoprice monitor which has only a DVI input.

I'm looking at upgrade options that can handle gaming on high settings at 1440p on the main monitor, while playing a 1080p video or stream on the 2nd monitor. The main games I play regularly are World of Warcraft, Rocket League, GTA V, Overwatch, and soon Battlefield.

I'm okay with switching to nVidia if it's better performance/price ratio at this resolution, but I'd be a little sad to lose Freesync capability. My budget is probably up to the $600 range. I'm okay with springing for a 1080 if that's what it takes to adequately push these pixels.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Bloodember

My poor R9 390 is struggling to keep up with my 2 1440p monitors, and I'm looking at upgrade options. My main monitor is a BenQ XL2730Z and my 2nd monitor is a Monoprice monitor which has only a DVI input.

I'm looking at upgrade options that can handle gaming on high settings at 1440p on the main monitor, while playing a 1080p video or stream on the 2nd monitor. The main games I play regularly are World of Warcraft, Rocket League, GTA V, Overwatch, and soon Battlefield.

I'm okay with switching to nVidia if it's better performance/price ratio at this resolution, but I'd be a little sad to lose Freesync capability. My budget is probably up to the $600 range. I'm okay with springing for a 1080 if that's what it takes to adequately push these pixels.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Since we have no idea when the Radeon equivalent will be released, a Geforce 1070 should work for you. A good one is the Asus Strix 1070 model.

I need a 120 mm case fan. Something very quiet would be great. Do I just buy whatever with good reviews on Newegg or is there something I should look for specifically? First time buying a case fan since 2011 so I figured I'd check here.

abbyabs

I need a 120 mm case fan. Something very quiet would be great. Do I just buy whatever with good reviews on Newegg or is there something I should look for specifically? First time buying a case fan since 2011 so I figured I'd check here.

I have had an akasa apache black 120mm on my CPU cooler for 5 years now and the thing is still silent and does great job at cooling. I didn't even bother replacing it when building my pc.

Echoes

I have a weird problem. I overclocked the CPU and RAM but haven't done much testing for the RAM. I started noticing freezes with Doom and Wolfenstein, and realized it's probably the RAM. After stepping down little by little, I just decided I don't care for OCing my system altogether for now and just wanna play. I reset everything in the UEFI, but my Xbox One S Controller suddenly stopped working afterwards. It's the model that connects to the PC directly via Bluetooth (without the wireless adapter). It's been working fine for the past ~50 hours of gaming, but after the reset it's not connecting.

In the Bluetooth settings page it says "Paired", and when I turn the controller on it juggles between "Paired" and "Connected", with the Xbox light flashing (meaning it's searching for a connection). I removed the driver and tried installing again, etc to no avail. I can get it working when I connect it with a cable, but the Bluetooth connection suddenly stopped. I searched around but there's little to no talk about this new controller. I'd appreciate any help.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I want to build an i7 6700 system, but I can't decide whether to wait for the Kaby Lake chipset since it supposedly has native USB 3.1 support.

Thoughts?

So the evga hybrid cooler I added to my Titan X (maxwell) is dying, and I need to find a replacement, problem is I can't find one in stock anywhere.

Is there a good alternative cooler I should be looking for? or perhaps does someone know of a site where it's still in stock that I missed? I've tried googling and found nada.

Jezbollah

I have a Noctua NF F12 as my exit fan (as well as static pressure Noctuas for my Rad) and they are excellent. Good performance and silent.

Vipu

Banned
Why not? Care to explain? From what's being said about the 4k TVs and how games pop I would think we would see the feature in monitors, at least gaming focused ones?

It adds tons of delay and isnt it OLED? Dont think there is much OLED in pc screens.

Septimius

I have a Corsair Air 240 case, and I was thinking a new build could be m-ATX. However, the case restricts a CPU cooler's height to be 120mm. Is there anything useful with that, or am I restricting myself?

LilJoka

I have a Corsair Air 240 case, and I was thinking a new build could be m-ATX. However, the case restricts a CPU cooler's height to be 120mm. Is there anything useful with that, or am I restricting myself?

IMO Air 240 is a very poor use of space, the fact that such a huge case has a 120mm cooler height limit speaks volumes.

If you go for a AIO water cooling loop, then it doesn't make a difference.

I wouldn't buy a new case for just this reason though.

Septimius

IMO Air 240 is a very poor use of space, the fact that such a huge case has a 120mm cooler height limit speaks volumes.

If you go for a AIO water cooling loop, then it doesn't make a difference.

I wouldn't buy a new case for just this reason though.

It's a neat (literal) case, but I do feel this being a limit factor. As you say, it's not really worth changing the case for. Does it take an expensive AIO (is AIO for "All in One?") cooler to get a benefit over air cooling?

LilJoka

It's a neat (literal) case, but I do feel this being a limit factor. As you say, it's not really worth changing the case for. Does it take an expensive AIO (is AIO for "All in One?") cooler to get a benefit over air cooling?

Depends on the air cooler we compare it to. The noctua d15 probably compares to the top end 120mm AIO watercoolers.
Medium-high cost air coolers probably compare to something like a H80i.

Elven_Star

Guys, I just noticed something really really weird. My gfx card turns off randomly! Even the light on the card goes off. This happens when the system is idle. Has never happened under load. In fact, I wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for the fan sound. Everything works absolutely as it should, though. Both under load and when the system is idle. Should I be worried?

Not sure if it helps, but here's an HWMonitor shot:
vxNTNFc.png

Will it be blowing against a hard drive cage or radiator? If it's somewhat restricted, the NF-f12 is your best bet. If it's unrestricted, the NF-s12a is what you want.

Yarbskoo

So I got a Gigabyte RX460 4GB, and I've noticed a few odd things happening.

1: After the PC boots, about the time the Windows lock screen shows up, the GPU fans shut off. At the same time, it makes a little "vroom" sound. when I first heard it, I thought it was a dirt bike down the road or something. Lasts maybe half a second.

2: When I turned off vsync in Halo: Combat Evolved, my framerate exploded. When it got to about 500, I started to hear a high pitched whine coming from inside the PC, like a tea kettle whistle. The pitch of the sound got higher as the framerate increased, to about 1600 or so. I turned down the resolution and it went up to 3000, I thought I was going to hit light speed or time travel or something.

3: I think Windows might be fucking up my drivers when I'm sleeping. When I wake up, there's no audio, and Bioshock plays at some tiny resolution with like one frame every 8 seconds. Reinstalling the drivers fixes everything.

LilJoka

So I got a Gigabyte RX460 4GB, and I've noticed a few odd things happening.

1: After the PC boots, about the time the Windows lock screen shows up, the GPU fans shut off. At the same time, it makes a little "vroom" sound. when I first heard it, I thought it was a dirt bike down the road or something. Lasts maybe half a second.

2: When I turned off vsync in Halo: Combat Evolved, my framerate exploded. When it got to about 500, I started to hear a high pitched whine coming from inside the PC, like a tea kettle whistle. The pitch of the sound got higher as the framerate increased, to about 1600 or so. I turned down the resolution and it went up to 3000, I thought I was going to hit light speed or time travel or something.

3: I think Windows might be fucking up my drivers when I'm sleeping. When I wake up, there's no audio, and Bioshock plays at some tiny resolution with like one frame every 8 seconds. Reinstalling the drivers fixes everything.

1 - possibly high fan speed set in one software and low fan speed elsewhere.

2 - that's just coil whine.

3 - keep an eye on the driver version, see if it changed without you installing a different version.

LilJoka

Guys, I just noticed something really really weird. My gfx card turns off randomly! Even the light on the card goes off. This happens when the system is idle. Has never happened under load. In fact, I wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for the fan sound. Everything works absolutely as it should, though. Both under load and when the system is idle. Should I be worried?

Not sure if it helps, but here's an HWMonitor shot:
vxNTNFc.png

What do you mean it turns off?

MKAllDay

While on the subject of coil whine: I recently replaced my 970 with an EVGA 1080 FTW and have been experiencing some insane coil whine. I never had any with the 970 and now with the 1080, any time I go above 100 fps it whines. I can play Witcher 3 at ultra everything 60 FPS and it is silent but if something like Divinity it at 200 an army of mosquitoes invades my case. The sound does not appear to be coming from the card itself. If I had to guess, I would say it is coming from the PSU (Corsair CX850M), the same PSU that never made a peep with my 970.

I have dealt with coil whine before on other desktops and lived with it. This however, is an unbearable, and quite frankly, worrisome volume of whine. So what does PC GAF recommend? Do I RMA the card? Blame the PSU? Put my fears and frustrations aside and deal with it?

P.S. Just cap the frames at 60 is not a long term option as I have a 144Hz monitor on the way.

Elven_Star

What do you mean it turns off?
It just dies completely, as if somebody pulls the plug or something. It comes back up immediately, though. I wonder if it's some weird power management thing which is disabled right away by MSI Afterburner (custom fan speed curve).

It just dies completely, as if somebody pulls the plug or something. It comes back up immediately, though. I wonder if it's some weird power management thing which is disabled right away by MSI Afterburner (custom fan speed curve).

Sounds like it could be a psu problem? What are your specs?

Sykotik

I am thinking of purchasing this monitor. It is a 1440 / 144hz monitor. I been hearing good thinks about it. Anyone here got one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260333

I just bought one. I really like it. I have no complaints. There are issues on stock color though, which you can easily fix with a custom color profile.

They seem to go on sale rather frequently though, so if you can, you may want to hold off for ~$150 USD off, or so.

Edit: Also, there are multiple revisions, I think up to 4 now. If you can, don't get an A01. A02 at least, as there were issues with A01s. Anecdotally, people have said Newegg has old stock and have gotten old revisions from them. I called Best Buy ahead of time to confirm what they had, and I got an A03.

samar11

I just bought one. I really like it. I have no complaints. There are issues on stock color though, which you can easily fix with a custom color profile.

They seem to go on sale rather frequently though, so if you can, you may want to hold off for ~$150 USD off, or so.

Edit: Also, there are multiple revisions, I think up to 4 now. If you can, don't get an A01. A02 at least, as there were issues with A01s.

That's good to hear.
Trying to find a US online retailer that does international shipping, its priced 1k here in Australia lol

samar11

Edit: Also, there are multiple revisions, I think up to 4 now. If you can, don't get an A01. A02 at least, as there were issues with A01s. Anecdotally, people have said Newegg has old stock and have gotten old revisions from them. I called Best Buy ahead of time to confirm what they had, and I got an A03.

Oh I see, well lucky for me then haha.

Evo X

Can anyone help diagnose an issue? I've noticed this corruption happening on my screen the past few days. It just happened when I closed a YouTube video and it switched to the Facebook tab. When I minimized to desktop and opened the tab again, it disappeared. Also been noticing a green vertical flash run across the right side of the screen when I start a game. Goes away almost instantly and haven't noticed any issues while playing however. Is this CPU, ram, GPU, drivers, or monitor?

YqFwjYL.jpg

Iorv3th

Can anyone help diagnose an issue? I've noticed this corruption happening on my screen the past few days. It just happened when I closed a YouTube video and it switched to the Facebook tab. When I minimized to desktop and opened the tab again, it disappeared. Also been noticing a green vertical flash run across the right side of the screen when I start a game. Goes away almost instantly and haven't noticed any issues while playing however. Is this CPU, ram, GPU, or monitor?

What browser are you using? It doesn't look like it is effecting your taskbar at all. Try turning off hardware acceleration maybe. See if it happens then.

Evo X

What browser are you using? It doesn't look like it is effecting your taskbar at all. Try turning off hardware acceleration maybe. See if it happens then.

This is the latest version of Firefox. I will try turning off HW Acceleration. Any idea what could be causing it though?

Can anyone help diagnose an issue? I've noticed this corruption happening on my screen the past few days. It just happened when I closed a YouTube video and it switched to the Facebook tab. When I minimized to desktop and opened the tab again, it disappeared. Also been noticing a green vertical flash run across the right side of the screen when I start a game. Goes away almost instantly and haven't noticed any issues while playing however. Is this CPU, ram, GPU, drivers, or monitor?

YqFwjYL.jpg

If I had to guess I'd say drivers. I have also been getting weird 2d artifacts lately on the desktop, things like text getting blurry like it's being over anti aliased, but no artifacts and stable when gaming.

Evo X

If I had to guess I'd say drivers. I have also been getting weird 2d artifacts lately on the desktop, things like text getting blurry like it's being over anti aliased, but no artifacts and stable when gaming.

This is what I am thinking. This is on the latest 372.70 Nvidia drivers. Did not have any problems with the 369.05 drivers that launched with my Titan X.

kuYuri

Every so often lately, my computer becomes super slow and unresponsive for some reason. When I bring up task manager, my Memory usage shoots up almost 99%, making my computer practically unresponsive. I have to hit the reset button since I just lose my patience.

My specs:
i7 4790k
GTX 1080
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Windows 10 Pro, up to date

I have antivirus active. I scanned my PC with it and used Malware Bytes as well to scan my system. Nothing found.

Any ideas what could be causing my PC to suddenly do this?

Septimius

Every so often lately, my computer becomes super slow and unresponsive for some reason. When I bring up task manager, my Memory usage shoots up almost 99%, making my computer practically unresponsive. I have to hit the reset button since I just lose my patience.

My specs:
i7 4790k
GTX 1080
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Windows 10 Pro, up to date

I have antivirus active. I scanned my PC with it and used Malware Bytes as well to scan my system. Nothing found.

Any ideas what could be causing my PC to suddenly do this?

Which program uses all the memory?

LilJoka

And you have to reboot? What happens on screen? You need to be more specific.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. Gonna tinker around the settings and see how it goes when I get home.

Nope, it's just the gfx card.

What about the GPU? Be specific.

Septimius

So, about M.2 SSDs. I'm seeing their performance, and it's bloody brilliant. However, I'm having trouble finding anyone talking about what performance means with gaming. I've currently added a Samsung EVO 950 Pro to my cart, since it's a fair priced outrageous performance SSD. Given the nature of drives, RAM and VRAM, this seems more about load times, obviously. It might even help with stutters, I guess. I wouldn't want a pagefile in a 16 GB RAM system, and I wouldn't put that pagefile on an M.2 anyway, so I guess that point is moot. If I have an SSD that performs well enough, am I really just looking at shaving off some seconds off of loading times by getting an M.2, or is there some other benefit I'm overlooking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom