• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Guys, stupid question/help plz:

I got a new rig with a 1060 in it. I'm generally quite happy. However, compared to the last PC I was using, the overall image is faded, and the black levels are definitely worse/lighter. Hardware monitor settings aren't the culprit. I guess I have to futz with the Nvidia settings a bit here, right?

edit-
nvm, turned out to be default Limited RGB range output. Fixed!

So I need some opinions about a new build I am working on for the wife. So currently I have a system with a 980, and the plan is to build her a gaming pc with that 980 and upgrade mine to a 1080. So I put together a build, and was wondering if anything seems off with it because I wanted to keep it a little smaller than normal by using a matx case.

CPU: i5 6600K@3.9
Mobo:Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H LGA 1151 Intel Motherboard
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 mATX Computer Case - Black
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000
GPU: GTX980 (from my old rig)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5"
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt 80+ Gold Modular ATX 12V

I guess my main concern is airflow, and with a beefy gpu like this would a bigger case be better. Any suggestion would be great!

jonno394

I'm absolutely awful at looking at PC specs and knowing if my CPU is above/below requirement levels, GPU is fine and easy, but when looking at the CPU they mention I honestly have no idea where mine stands. Is there any resource which will allow me to determine where my CPU stands in the grand scheme of things?

Recent example: Resident Evil VII

Minimum: i5 4460
Recommended: i7 3770

I have an i5 4670k Overclocked to 4.2ghz. Looking at those 2 I assume mine is over the minimum just based on 4670>4460. I then automatically assume mine is under the recommended as i5<i7?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

i noticed new GPUs are 256 bit memory bus, will be there any 384 bit Memory Bus or higher in the future?

sorry for being old but im coming from Vapor-X R9 280X 3G D5

also what's the best choice right now in comparison of a card like this ? -budget matters-

Because of new data compression stuff amd and nvidia are able to use smaller memory buses that work just as well as bigger memory buses on older cards. Also the speed of the memory is going way up so bigger memory buses are not needed.

A 480/1060 would be a good upgrade coming from a 280x.

Welcome!

He doesn't need that cooler, air is fine for a 6600k. Bumped the RAM to 3000mhz and added two more case fans for all the flow.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£210.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 51.4 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler (£33.31 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£126.44 @ More Computers)
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£89.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.48 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card (£409.97 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£88.00 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£76.99 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-118CB/BEBE DVD/CD Drive (£8.75 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 83.6 CFM 140mm Fan (£14.46 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 83.6 CFM 140mm Fan (£14.46 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1174.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-22 23:07 BST+0100

I beleive the ultra star is old tech - maybe.
ATX isn't needed.
I doubt he will ever sli, and therefore you may even consider ITX.
Optical drive for?
Overpriced ram
Avoid gigabyte 1070, loudest and not a good cooler (only 2 heat pipes vs others with 5).

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£210.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 51.4 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler (£33.31 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£107.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£78.17 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£44.28 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card (£397.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£97.29 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£81.32 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1110.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-23 00:12 BST+0100

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll run it over with him.

Because of new data compression stuff amd and nvidia are able to use smaller memory buses that work just as well as bigger memory buses on older cards. Also the speed of the memory is going way up so bigger memory buses are not needed.

A 480/1060 would be a good upgrade coming from a 280x.

that's for 1080 gaming/video or it can handle up to 4K ?
is there a big performance gap between those cards and 1070 ?

as for 480, which one do you think is the best and why? it must be better than 1060 ,correct?

SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480 8G GDDR5 OC

RADEON RX 480 GAMING X 8G

ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING

Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming 8G

XFX RADEON RX 480 GTR 8GB GDDR5 TRUE OC

i noticed that some AMD cards promoting HDR while others aren't, is it a standard for all or depend on manufacturer ?

kuYuri

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ Video Card ($265.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case w/700W Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full 32/64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $742.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-23 01:30 EDT-0400

Aight, looking good...I hope??

My old case apparently doesn't support USB 3.0 for the front ports but eehhhhhhhh I don't think I ever had them plugged in right anyway

Mystified by water coolers ATM and fan noise doesn't bother me since I'm gonna be blasting gunshots through my headphones anyway

Edit, oh geez no wonder I could never find this thread I was searching Gaming Community ffs

Looking good, the only recommendation I would really add is try and see if you can get higher clocked RAM for your build, as 3000 MHz is the sweet spot in terms of price vs performance. There are 3000MHz RAM that costs as much as that 2133 RAM you have there. Some games like higher clocked RAM and can lead to slightly boosted framerates overall. Good luck!

What's the current AMD equivalent of the 7970? I'm running a 6870 1GB but I'd like something with more heft and graphics RAM to play Civ6 but nothing that'll break the bank. I only play Civ and Fallout: New Vegas on my PC.

Also, something that won't be bottlenecked too badly by my Phenom II x4 965BE 3.4ghz CPU.

kennah

What's the current AMD equivalent of the 7970? I'm running a 6870 1GB but I'd like something with more heft and graphics RAM to play Civ6 but nothing that'll break the bank. I only play Civ and Fallout: New Vegas on my PC.

Also, something that won't be bottlenecked too badly by my Phenom II x4 965BE 3.4ghz CPU.

A 280X is basically a 7970 with a different sticker. A 460 is slower, a 470 is significantly faster.

A 280X is basically a 7970 with a different sticker. A 460 is slower, a 470 is significantly faster.
~$200 is too much. Would an RX460 be a good upgrade over the 6870? Looking at benchmarks the 6870 has better pixel rate and memory bandwidth but the 460 has more memory anyway and is a modern card.

XFX makes a 4gb and 2gb model and the 4gb is only $20 more at $139 before rebate (same price after rebate).

I've been using a 600w Corsair PSU since I built the PC in 2012, the benchmark says it uses less power than the 6870 so I wouldn't need to buy anything else new.

fantomena

Did my first overclock. Used Uningine Valley to test and it did not crash.

Core Voltage: Default
Power Limit: 120 (max)
Core Clock: +70
Memory Clock: +250

Looks awesome. Any pic(s) of the complete setup? I'm a bit jealous.

A quick and dirty video I've made for the rig. Pardon the simplistic nature of the edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8hPGpwZLbQ&feature=share

[E]xcelsior [M]axi[MA]

Core i7 5930K - 4.6Ghz OC
Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme motherboard
8 x 4GB (32GB) Corsair Dominator Pro DDR4-3200
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVME 512GB
NZXT Phantom 820 case
2 x Nvidia Titan X Pascal SLI - 2050Mhz core/11Ghz memory OC
4TB Western Digital Black 7200rpm HDD
Corsair AX1500i 1500W PSU
EVGA High Bandwidth SLI Bridge

Liquid cooling system - Bitspower fittings, PETG hard tubing, Bitspower Flow Indicator, dual Bitspower D5 coolant pumps, Bitspower Z-Multi reservoir, EKWB Coolstream 360 & 240 radiators, Corsair SPL120 fans (custom green), EKWB Pastel Green Liquid Coolant, 2 x EKWB Titan X Pascal Waterblocks & Backplates, EKWB CPU Waterblock.

Accoutrements: Nvidia GeForce GTX case emblem laser-cut acrylic, Nvidia GeForce GTX inner case emblem laser-cut acrylic, GeForce GTX Titan X PSU shroud laser-cut & internally lighted, Lamptron PCIE slot covers in Lime Green. Custom Revolution Technologia Black Green Sleeved cables.

Firestrike Ultra Hall of Fame score of 13,493, ranked 69. http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+ultra+preset/version+1.1/2+gpu

Her name is (E)xcelsior (M)axi(MA). Or EMMA for short. Translated from Latin meaning "Above and Beyond The Maximum Limit".

If you prefer static images, it's available here.

kennah

~$200 is too much. Would an RX460 be a good upgrade over the 6870? Looking at benchmarks the 6870 has better pixel rate and memory bandwidth but the 460 has more memory anyway and is a modern card.

XFX makes a 4gb and 2gb model and the 4gb is only $20 more at $139 before rebate (same price after rebate).

I've been using a 600w Corsair PSU since I built the PC in 2012, the benchmark says it uses less power than the 6870 so I wouldn't need to buy anything else new.
It would be a 20-30% increase. The 470 would be nearly double a 6870.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm absolutely awful at looking at PC specs and knowing if my CPU is above/below requirement levels, GPU is fine and easy, but when looking at the CPU they mention I honestly have no idea where mine stands. Is there any resource which will allow me to determine where my CPU stands in the grand scheme of things?

Recent example: Resident Evil VII

Minimum: i5 4460
Recommended: i7 3770

I have an i5 4670k Overclocked to 4.2ghz. Looking at those 2 I assume mine is over the minimum just based on 4670>4460. I then automatically assume mine is under the recommended as i5<i7?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Gonna bump this post because it is relevant to my interests as well!

The only thing I could find is this.

LordAlu

So I need some opinions about a new build I am working on for the wife. So currently I have a system with a 980, and the plan is to build her a gaming pc with that 980 and upgrade mine to a 1080. So I put together a build, and was wondering if anything seems off with it because I wanted to keep it a little smaller than normal by using a matx case.

CPU: i5 6600K@3.9
Mobo:Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H LGA 1151 Intel Motherboard
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 mATX Computer Case - Black
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000
GPU: GTX980 (from my old rig)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5"
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt 80+ Gold Modular ATX 12V

I guess my main concern is airflow, and with a beefy gpu like this would a bigger case be better. Any suggestion would be great!
You also might have a hard time fitting the graphics card in there. Although it supports up to 350mm long, the mounting area for the drives gets in the way, so in reality it's a lot harder to fit. For a similar price I'd probably look at something like the Corsair 88R or SPEC-01, maybe the Phanteks Eclipse?

Looking good, the only recommendation I would really add is try and see if you can get higher clocked RAM for your build, as 3000 MHz is the sweet spot in terms of price vs performance. There are 3000MHz RAM that costs as much as that 2133 RAM you have there. Some games like higher clocked RAM and can lead to slightly boosted framerates overall. Good luck!

Thanks you guys are awesome

If you can afford the 6700k now, the spend the little extra IMO.

Ah thanks but that's okay I just went ahead with the 6600k on...

...goddammit lol

If I bought from the Monoprice Ebay site last night I can cancel right?

Edit or I guess I can just return it when it comes

ehead

guys, which of these GTX 1070 custom gpus is the best?

MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

I'm also considering a cheap one, MSI GTX 1070 Armor for example, in case the price difference is not worth it.

I have the Asus Strix 1070 and I'm pretty satisfied with it. My main complaint is the size. It's 300mm in length so I had to remove some stuff in my case. Performance-wise, it's pretty quiet and performs great will all the programs/games I've thrown at it. In any case, I don't think there's really much of a difference between the three. I'm not sure about the cheaper versions though.

Hmm does Monoprice not like debit cards? Declines my info. I thought I might've hit a limit or typed something wrong but I just did my Newegg order afterward and everything went fine. Mastercard debit card and was prompted with the SecureCode on that Newegg order

If not I might have to go out and get a prepaid card from Walmart lol

In case I need time how can I tell how long this sale will last?

TB14

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.30 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.71 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($359.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($109.98 @ My Choice Software)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2757-mhd 27.0" Monitor ($199.81 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard ($167.99 @ B&H)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Headphones: Audio-Technica M50x Headphones ($169.95 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones ($144.89 @ Amazon)
External Storage: Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive ($59.00 @ B&H)
UPS: APC BE550G UPS ($57.34 @ Amazon)
Other: RAZER Mako 2.1 Bi-amplified Multimedia Speaker System
Total: $1955.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-23 13:24 EDT-0400

My current setup. Should've sprung for a better mobo, but I'm too cheap.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm does Monoprice not like debit cards? Declines my info. I thought I might've hit a limit or typed something wrong but I just did my Newegg order afterward and everything went fine. Mastercard debit card and was prompted with the SecureCode on that Newegg order

Have you tried using their eBay storefront? Same price there.

Not sure how long the deal on that and the 6600k will last though.

kuYuri

I've done Visa debit card a long time ago, worked fine for me. Have you tried PayPal on Monoprice?

Have you tried using their eBay storefront? Same price there.

Not sure how long the deal on that and the 6600k will last though.

This is weird I'm on the Ebay store site now and can't find that or the one I bought last night anywhere now

Is this some mystic arabic bazaar situation here or has it sold out and disappeared

I've done Visa debit card a long time ago, worked fine for me. Have you tried PayPal on Monoprice?

Don't have much experience with PayPal but I may try

Edit, linking my PayPal with my bank is gonna take a few days but really want to get this today just in case.

I'm going to try to price match it on Newegg nah I'll just go get a prepaid

Sorry I know this thread shouldn't be "how to financial institution"

RootCause

My fan splitters arrived. is it normal for one of the two to only have 3 pins, one of them separated from the other two?

Help would be appreciated. :)

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I haven't posted about this anywhere, but I am quite confident I fixed a hardware issue that has been plaguing me for a couple of months. What would happen is my computer monitors would start flickering, being disconnected and reconnected about 5 or 6 times in a row before I ended up being booted out into the log in screen (or sometimes a full crash), and when I logged in it would be without the Nvidia drivers running, and only one of my screens getting a signal. The Reliability History and Event Viewer would point to a kernel error, as well as dwm.exe (Desktop Windows Manager) crashing.

I *think* it was a bad Displayport cable not being able to keep up with my 144hz screen, causing a momentary and repeating signal loss. I replaced it this morning and it has been fine all day. Really ran through the gamut of possible culprits before I considered the cable, but typing it out it seems almost obvious.

Okay, one last question, what is memory clock?

core = affects the speed of the GPU. memory = the speed of the VRAM.

your should prioritise core over memory. if a GPU has low amount of VRAM and you overclock it then you'll be able to do more with the little you have as stuff is going in/out faster. for example, AMD's Fury X only has 4GB VRAM but this GPU is their enthusiast card. Usually 4GB isn't much for 1440p gaming but since it uses HBM it runs a lot faster than GDDR5 and can handle 1440p fine.

Right now most cards have 8GB vram which unless you're running VR or 4K is hard to use so there isn't much need to really overclock it a lot. if you had a card with 3-6GB then you might want to overclock it since that can be used up easily.

Did my first overclock. Used Uningine Valley to test and it did not crash.

Core Voltage: Default
Power Limit: 120 (max)
Core Clock: +70
Memory Clock: +250

In my experience Unigine doesn't really stress my 1070 too much. I use 3D Mark. I was crashing at +95/+120 in Firestrike but could get +120/130 in Heaven.

Guys, what the hell is happening here ?

ram9hs2c.png

has your computer actually slowed down?

I didn't feel it was slowing down.

The breakdown menu should tell you what is utilizing all of it.

I already restarted and I think it's okay now.

Origin is really weird, I had to start Fifa a couple of times before the launcher openen, then I pressed play a couple of times and the game didn't open. So maybe the game did open a couple of times? I haven't seen any windows with the game open, so that's weird.

Yeah, I did. There was nothing that warranted 16GB though. It was max 2GB. I am thinking it is an Origin problem. Fifa doesn't launch and Origin itself is pretty fucking slow since they updated it.

In the processes tab you should be able to see what's taking up memory, right? Worth taking a scroll down the list, because even if there's not some massive thing taking it up, you can have god knows how much little processes if something 'starts', but not completely, so it also keeps making new processes. Java's one of the more infamous examples of this.

that's for 1080 gaming/video or it can handle up to 4K ?
is there a big performance gap between those cards and 1070 ?

as for 480, which one do you think is the best and why? it must be better than 1060 ,correct?

SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480 8G GDDR5 OC

RADEON RX 480 GAMING X 8G

ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING

Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming 8G

XFX RADEON RX 480 GTR 8GB GDDR5 TRUE OC

i noticed that some AMD cards promoting HDR while others aren't, is it a standard for all or depend on manufacturer ?

Yes, a 1060 or 480 will run 1080p ultra settings in almost any game without problems. While the 1060/480 are able to run games at 4k, you'll have to drop image quality a lot. If you are after 4k, you should step up to the higher end cards. There is a big gap between those cards and the 1070. If you have any doubts, and have enough cash, go for the 1070. If you don't mind used, and can find a good price (300 or less), you could go for a 980ti, they are still very good cards IMO (I love mine).

The 1060 is generally regarded as the faster card now, but the 480 is considered to have more potential in DX12/Vulkan games, which MIGHT matter in the future.

I think out of those cards, the Sapphire Nitro is considered the best. I like Gigabyte cards as well. I don't have a 480 though, so I can't say for certain which is the best, you'll have to search through reviews to find out the information that matters to you (price, thermals, noise).

I believe the new AMD cards support HDR, I'm not too certain.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I guess that's a pretty good reason. How does HDR fit into the PC equation? Is it just not a thing yet?

Nvidia and AMD both have solutions for developers, RotT should have support soon, right now you'll need to connect to an HDR tv with a modern card to get it as there are no consumer grade HDR monitors yet. Supposedly Microsoft will officially release HDR support in Directx12 early next year. Dont expect windows desktop support for awhile if ever (as in your OS desktop).

Ariexv

Currently looking to upgrade the ram in my PC from 8gb to 16. Limited to DDR3. Any suggestions or company to look for specifically ?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is weird I'm on the Ebay store site now and can't find that or the one I bought last night anywhere now

Is this some mystic arabic bazaar situation here or has it sold out and disappeared

Don't have much experience with PayPal but I may try

Edit, linking my PayPal with my bank is gonna take a few days but really want to get this today just in case.

I'm going to try to price match it on Newegg nah I'll just go get a prepaid

Sorry I know this thread shouldn't be "how to financial institution"

Looks like they killed the deal on ebay today. Hopefully you can get it on their site before they go back to normal price there too.

Looks like they killed the deal on ebay today. Hopefully you can get it on their site before they go back to normal price there too.

Actually just got in on the main site a couple minutes ago!!

Had to call fraud protection plus have bank increase daily limit, huge hassle but s'all good now!

Now only part I need to get is motherboard :x

So, got a new receiver that supports HDR since I mostly game on my 4k TV (Samsung KS8000).

What color options should I choose. I don't know anything about this.

For 4k, I can either have color depth of 8 and and output format 444

or

color depth 10 or 12, but then output format only goes up to 422. Which is more important to picture quality, the depth or output format? Also, I thought these TVs had a 10bit panel, but it's letting me choose 12 in the nvidia control panel. Should I stick with 10?

Sorry, I am a newb about this shit. To be clear, I know PC's currently don't have any HDR content, but I couldn't adjust the color depth above 8 with my old receiver either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom