• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned I got that MSI 1070 X Gaming a few days ago. And WOW does it overclock like a beast. Currently sitting at 200+ GPU and 170+ MEM - what are you guys reaching in terms of overclocking? Any suggestions for voltage etc.?

what the hell, my card is at +100/+400 right now. i might be able to get higher memory but going +110 core crashes. my power limit is up full. haven't touched voltages. how are people getting such high overclocks? heaven says I have 2075/4503 but msi afterburner says 2025/4503.

greekappi

Will I need to upgrade my PSU if I change motherboards and CPU/GPU?

I have this one: FSP AURUM GOLD 700-Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX Power Supply SLI and ATI Certified Compatible with Intel Core i3 i5 i7AU-700 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KNHQ0K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UTEVajK.png

I want to add this motherboard: ASUS Z170-PRO ATX DDR4 NA Motherboards Z170-PRO
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Z170-PRO-ATX-DDR4-Motherboards/dp/B016A44XHK/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1475080101&sr=1-5&keywords=Asus+Z170+Extreme

and an i7 6700k and some new DDR4 memory.

Will my current power supply be ok? And what if I add a 1080 in there too? I'm not sure how to find all the current power requirements for all these parts.

Edit: This is what I'm looking at for my purchase (I have tons of Amazon points so that's why I'm buying through them)

V7lMCho.png

Did I get the right memory for this motherboard and CPU? I have a case and fans and stuff from my old setup with the i7 2600k. Should all this work?

Just for shits and giggles, I ran Nvidia DSR running at 6880x2880, effectively 7K resolution, on Grand Theft Auto V on these settings, everything maximum except AA, at 7K, pixels are so small, no jaggies are visible.

Picture too huge at 6880x2880 to post here. http://imgur.com/a/Zo8jm

xaT30rAl.jpg

iBrvRD3l.jpg

I'll be hanging on to this rig for a long time, that's for sure.

OraleeWey

Just for shits and giggles, I ran Nvidia DSR running at 6880x2880, effectively 7K resolution, on Grand Theft Auto V on these settings, everything maximum except AA, at 7K, pixels are so small, no jaggies are visible.

Picture too huge at 6880x2880 to post here. http://imgur.com/a/Zo8jm

xaT30rAl.jpg

iBrvRD3l.jpg

I'll be hanging on to this rig for a long time, that's for sure.

How are you getting those frames at that resolution? What video cards are you using?

How are you getting those frames at that resolution? What video cards are you using?

It's recorded at 1080p using Nvidia Shadowplay, Shadowplay tops out at 1080p. As for the screenshot grab, I'm using the built-in Steam screenshot utility, pressing F12. The game is rendered internally at 6880x2880, and output to 3440x1440 to the ultrawide monitor. Using Nvidia DSR. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

I'm using two Titan X Pascal in SLI. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741876.100000283743205&type=1&l=0b6c567c40

sZ3NH7Fl.jpg

H1w1CVel.jpg

HTR87Rvl.jpg

enewtabie

Can I get a Mini Itx case recommendation? I want to built something small with a RX480 to go with my console area. I already have a desk pc setup but I want to do something cheaper/smaller.

Probably the Jesus Christ GTX 2080 Messiah Edition. I really have no idea how you have 25GB of VRAM.

2 Titan X Pascals at 12GB VRAM each. GTAV tabulates them in total. If you had played the game with your 980 in SLI in Windows 10 you would've seen this glitch. Not that the game ever uses more than a single card's VRAM buffer. VRAM dont stack.....yet.

Kiru

+700 memory? Wow I guess I should push further, haha, thanks!
Newer 1070s seem to come with Micron Memory instead of Samsung. Doesn't overclock too well and crashes on higher overclocks if you don't lock the voltage. I'm quite disappointed how Nvidia has handled this situation so far...

kennah

OraleeWey

It's recorded at 1080p using Nvidia Shadowplay, Shadowplay tops out at 1080p. As for the screenshot grab, I'm using the built-in Steam screenshot utility, pressing F12. The game is rendered internally at 6880x2880, and output to 3440x1440 to the ultrawide monitor. Using Nvidia DSR. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

I'm using two Titan X Pascal in SLI. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741876.100000283743205&type=1&l=0b6c567c40

sZ3NH7Fl.jpg

H1w1CVel.jpg

HTR87Rvl.jpg

Amazing rig there.

LilJoka

Never 1070s seem to come with Micron Memory instead of Samsung. Doesn't overclock too well and crashes on higher overclocks if you don't lock the voltage. I'm quite disappointed how Nvidia has handled this situation so far...

Pretty much the same as 9xx series.
Memory oc is really not bringing massive gains though.

It can go higher - maybe double check your capture settings? 4k/60 is no problem for me.

For some reason VLC is buggy when trying to play those files, so it looks like the capture fails if that's what you're using, but the files are actually fine.
e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DjEe2UehJQ

I stand corrected. It's the streaming/broadcasting that is limited to 1080p60, recording goes up to 4K60.

Not inclined to record at 4K, sharing it at 4K is tediously long to upload.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I stand corrected. It's the streaming/broadcasting that is limited to 1080p60, recording goes up to 4K60.

Not inclined to record at 4K, sharing it at 4K is tediously long to upload.

Yup, that's true. Even after the upload was done, I think that one took a week for 4K to show up as a playback option.

PC building noobie here, I was thinking of following the Best Overall from Haz's builds but I noticed it has no WIFI.

Could anyone recommend me my best option here, getting a motherboard with wifi or external wifi chip/dongle?

PC building noobie here, I was thinking of following the Best Overall from Haz's builds but I noticed it has no WIFI.

Could anyone recommend me my best option here, getting a motherboard with wifi or external wifi chip/dongle?

Motherboard with Wifi is usually a price increase I don't think is worth it. Best bet is to go PCI wifi, or you can go with a USB dongle, but they are usually somewhat more expensive for a less reliable connection.

Anyone buy a gpu from jet.com? what are your experience?

I bought a gtx 1070 from jet and everything was smooth. I used the no returns discount and the coupon to get 15% off my first order. It ended up knocking off about $50. Go for it.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I don't think they actually ship anything. Mine was sent straight from Newegg.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So how bad are Killer NICs? Still leaning toward the Gigabyte Gaming 5 mATX board which uses a Killer E2200/E2400 depending on the revision. Seems like the best things I'm reading about Killer is "they aren't that bad." Worth avoiding a motherboard over, or are the problems (BSODs, memory leaks, high DPC latency, dropping connections) not as common as the Internet is making them seem?

Already found that there are some driver only packages to avoid the bloatware.

Can anyone help me with my previous post? I'm in need of some understanding on what I'm doing here.

Your psu will be fine, all your new parts actually use less power than the old ones lol.

Do you need 32 gb of ram? And also try to get alittle faster ram like 2800 or 3000, Skylake loves fast memory.

And do you have a small case? If not, you might want to look into a custom cooled 1080.

Rizific

Anyone buy a gpu from jet.com? what are your experience?
Ordered a 1070 from them and a 390 before that. Both got fulfilled by Newegg. After the the new customer discount along with the opt out of free returns and pay with debit discounts, they were easily the cheapest place to get both of the gpus I bought. Go for it.

greekappi

Your psu will be fine, all your new parts actually use less power than the old ones lol.

Do you need 32 gb of ram? And also try to get alittle faster ram like 2800 or 3000, Skylake loves fast memory.

And do you have a small case? If not, you might want to look into a custom cooled 1080.

Wow, less power?! That's what I like.

I don't need 32GB of RAM, is 16 ok? Can you link me to some RAM recommendations?

I have this case: Rosewill Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Cases BLACKHAWK Black https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K4TEA4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ok one other question regarding GTA V. When I take my 980s off of SLI and just use one, it caps me at 30fps. When I have SLI, it caps it at 60. My performance dips to low 50s and very briefly high 40s on some portions. I have Vsync on. Turning it off makes everything look awful of course. I've used the GeForce control panel to turn on triple buffering and v Sync from within the control panel but still the screen tearing is there. My FPS goes way up but it looks bad with the tearing. Any tips?

Vipu

Banned
Wow, less power?! That's what I like.

I don't need 32GB of RAM, is 16 ok? Can you link me to some RAM recommendations?

I have this case: Rosewill Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Cases BLACKHAWK Black https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K4TEA4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ok one other question regarding GTA V. When I take my 980s off of SLI and just use one, it caps me at 30fps. When I have SLI, it caps it at 60. My performance dips to low 50s and very briefly high 40s on some portions. I have Vsync on. Turning it off makes everything look awful of course. I've used the GeForce control panel to turn on triple buffering and v Sync from within the control panel but still the screen tearing is there. My FPS goes way up but it looks bad with the tearing. Any tips?

If you play games then 8-16gb is more than enough for anything.
If you do some heavy workstuff then you might need 32gb.

greekappi

Im sure 16gb is enough for that unless you are doing tons of it and long ass videos etc.

What about my VSync issues with GTAV? Turning it on in the game locks frame rate at 30fps when not in SLI (I have two 980s) and locks at 60 in SLI. The 60 lock makes sense but not sure why 30 is the lock for one card.

And if I turn VSync off it gives me terrible tearing obviously but I was told that in the nVidia GeForce control center to turn on triple buffering. That didn't really fix the screen tearing. I've seen that there is a V Sync option in the GeForce control panel as well and when turning that on it still doesn't eliminate the tearing.

What is the best way to get an unlocked frame rate without the screen tearing?

What about my VSync issues with GTAV? Turning it on in the game locks frame rate at 30fps when not in SLI (I have two 980s) and locks at 60 in SLI. The 60 lock makes sense but not sure why 30 is the lock for one card.

And if I turn VSync off it gives me terrible tearing obviously but I was told that in the nVidia GeForce control center to turn on triple buffering. That didn't really fix the screen tearing. I've seen that there is a V Sync option in the GeForce control panel as well and when turning that on it still doesn't eliminate the tearing.

Don't know about that vsync stuff sorry, but if you are very sensitive to tearing have you thought of getting a gsync monitor?

Regarding ram, I paired this with my brothers 6600k with great results.

Or for like 15 more you can get the higher end Trident z.

From a post on reddit:

Let's say you're using a 60 Hz monitor and playing a game where the GPU fluctuates between 65 and 100 fps if you leave it uncapped.

Nothing: Your GPU renders frames as fast as it can. Your GPU will send each frame to the monitor as soon as the GPU finishes that frame. You get tearing because the GPU can pass a frame to the monitor while the monitor is already in the middle of displaying a different frame. Result: Variable framerate, tearing

Capped fps, no vsync: Your GPU renders frames at 60 fps. Your GPU will send each frame to the monitor as soon as the GPU finishes that frame. You get tearing because the GPU can pass a frame to the monitor while the monitor is already in the middle of displaying a different frame. Result: Consistent framerate, tearing

Regular vsync: Your GPU renders frames at 60 fps. When the GPU finishes a frame, it will sit and wait (not rendering anything) until the monitor is ready. Once the monitor is ready to display a new frame, the GPU will send that frame to the monitor, and only then does it begin to draw a new one. Since the GPU doesn't send frames until the monitor is ready, there is no tearing. And since the GPU always begins drawing right after a frame is sent to the monitor, the frames are always the same space apart (1/60th of a second). Result: Consistent frame spacing, no tearing

Fast sync: Your GPU runs as fast as it can. When the GPU finishes a frame, it will save that frame and immediately begin rendering another. When the monitor is ready to display a new frame, the GPU sends whatever frame it most recently finished. Sometimes the GPU finishes only one frame before the monitor is ready, sometimes it finishes more than one. This means that the spacing between displayed frames varies. Result: Inconsistent frame spacing, no tearing

Fast sync with fps capped near your monitor's refresh rate: Essentially the same effect as
regular vsync.

You probably want regular vsync. Regular vsync is smooth, and the lag is generally not an issue unless frames are queued up (for games that do this, prevent it by setting "max pre-rendered frames" to 1 in Nvidia control panel). Fast sync can offer even less input lag, but unless your GPU is running at very high FPS (think 200+), you will get noticeable stuttering and skipping, and the input lag difference will be trivial.

Best option would be G-Sync monitor. And cap it to the refresh rate of that monitor. I had to do that myself because at 3440x1440 res 100Hz refresh rate monitor I'm playing on, certain games gives off absurdly high framerates, like 180-200 fps, even after all settings turned maximum, and it's tearing like hell.

Did your VRAM stack as well on your GTAV with your two 980s? :p

Azerare

First time building a PC, I'm getting an 850 evo ssd but I was looking for recommendations on a hdd for storage. Also is there really any benefits for gaming regarding windows 10 home vs pro?

Mozendo

First time building a PC, I'm getting an 850 evo ssd but I was looking for recommendations on a hdd for storage. Also is there really any benefits for gaming regarding windows 10 home vs pro?

Toshiba HDDs are great because they're rebranded Hitachi drives at a great price. From my experience would recommend them over any WD HDD, also with WD Blues you might get a 5200 RPM HDD

greekappi

From a post on reddit:

Best option would be G-Sync monitor. And cap it to the refresh rate of that monitor. I had to do that myself because at 3440x1440 res 100Hz refresh rate monitor I'm playing on, certain games gives off absurdly high framerates, like 180-200 fps, even after all settings turned maximum, and it's tearing like hell.

Did your VRAM stack as well on your GTAV with your two 980s? :p

Ha, yes it counted my VRAM as 8GB. Silly GTA.

OK, so really I should stick to the games in game V sync and not mess with the nVidia control panel then since it doesn't help with the tearing.

Sadly, a G sync monitor isn't an option since I PC game on my couch with my HDTV.

Bloodember

Good HDD's are Western Digital, Hitachi, or Toshiba. No there is no benefit in gaming for pro over home.

Ha, yes it counted my VRAM as 8GB. Silly GTA.

OK, so really I should stick to the games in game V sync and not mess with the nVidia control panel then since it doesn't help with the tearing.

Sadly, a G sync monitor isn't an option since I PC game on my couch with my HDTV.

I do that too with my VR rig with 4KTV. I used Fast Sync, frame cap it to 60Hz and pray for the best. It's a curse really, once you see tearing, you cant unsee it.

I abhor double/triple buffering, on most games it introduces input lag, and that's not fun with fighting games and shooters.

greekappi

I do that too with my VR rig with 4KTV. I used Fast Sync, frame cap it to 60Hz and pray for the best. It's a curse really, once you see tearing, you cant unsee it.

I abhor double/triple buffering, on most games it introduces input lag, and that's not fun with fighting games and shooters.

Gaahhh the input lag! Can't things be simple like when you plugged the red, yellow, and white cables into your TV and the NES just worked?

How do you enable Fast Sync? Is that a GeForce control panel thing?

So really, my performance when playing with VSync on in GTAV is great and I should stop complaining about whatever it is I'm complaining about which at this point I've forgotten. I'm still puzzled at the single 980 capping me at 30fps.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Good HDD's are Western Digital, Hitachi, or Toshiba. No there is no benefit in gaming for pro over home.

Hitachi (HGST) is now under WD. There are basically three HDD manufacturers, and anything else is either a subsidiary or old.

Nifty picture from Wikipedia

I got a Toshiba X300 4TB on sale recently. Hopefully it serves me well, I don't have any experience with them. Previously I've only bought WD and pre-Seagate Samsung.

kuYuri

Toshiba HDDs are great because they're rebranded Hitachi drives at a great price. From my experience would recommend them over any WD HDD, also with WD Blues you might get a 5200 RPM HDD

The only Blue 5400 RPM drives are the 2TB and above configurations, which are apparently rebranded Greens. I have no idea why this was done and is confusing.

They do sell the 1TB Blue that is 7200 RPM. If anyone wants 2TB and above 7200 RPM WD drives, they have to go with Blacks as far as I know.

Gaahhh the input lag! Can't things be simple like when you plugged the red, yellow, and white cables into your TV and the NES just worked?

How do you enable Fast Sync? Is that a GeForce control panel thing?

So really, my performance when playing with VSync on in GTAV is great and I should stop complaining about whatever it is I'm complaining about which at this point I've forgotten. I'm still puzzled at the single 980 capping me at 30fps.

Yup, you have to in the Nvidia Control Panel to enable it.

longdi

Banned
Hitachi (HGST) is now under WD. There are basically three HDD manufacturers, and anything else is either a subsidiary or old.

Nifty picture from Wikipedia

I got a Toshiba X300 4TB on sale recently. Hopefully it serves me well, I don't have any experience with them. Previously I've only bought WD and pre-Seagate Samsung.

I had the Samsung HDD, that was a worker. Rock solid and rather fast, and affordable! Beats my other WD, Seagate in reliability!

I wonder which of the remaining 3 HDD is the best now?

anyone know a good headset brand where the headset won't break in a year

I have a tendency to break the cup on the cable side of a headset >_>;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom