• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
anyone know a good headset brand where the headset won't break in a year

I have a tendency to break the cup on the cable side of a headset >_>;

Logitech has been good to me.

the fake leather covering peeled off but otherwise its been good and had it for 3 years or so

What's your budget?
The HyperX Cloud Core/Cloud 2 is a GAF favorite

Around the $100 range.

I've used G35s in the past and they last me a year/year and a half through normal wear and tear. RIght now I'm trying to cement-glue the cup back onto the headset.

I looked up the cloud core but it seems that the build isn't that great and it might break? >_>; Looking at pictures it looks very....thin?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The only Blue 5400 RPM drives are the 2TB and above configurations, which are apparently rebranded Greens. I have no idea why this was done and is confusing.

They do sell the 1TB Blue that is 7200 RPM. If anyone wants 2TB and above 7200 RPM WD drives, they have to go with Blacks as far as I know.

They did at least change the firmware so the drives don't park as quickly (AFAIK, I've seen it reported), so they are still better than Greens for anything except maybe backups. Simplifies their manufacturing.

I guess WD figures raw HDD performance is not that impactful anymore for standard tier HDDs, since SSDs have reached the mainstream. 5400 RPM is cooler, quieter, and uses a bit less power, which could be selling points to the SSD user looking for a secondary drive.

Also ordered the rest of my minor components. Mainly some fans I can go ahead and fit into the case. Just leaves the main components - CPU, motherboard, RAM, cooler, which I intend to order together. Tempted to do it now - Monoprice still has 6600Ks for $212, and I could use a Jet code and save around $15 on the RAM+cooler combined. No noteworthy deals on a motherboard though. Still holding out for holiday discounts.

Mozendo

Around the $100 range.

I've used G35s in the past and they last me a year/year and a half through normal wear and tear. RIght now I'm trying to cement-glue the cup back onto the headset.

I looked up the cloud core but it seems that the build isn't that great and it might break? >_>; Looking at pictures it looks very....thin?

How about a separate mic and and headphone combo?
Recently got the Philips SP9500 ($60) and a v-moda boom pro ($30 - $35) mic for my girlfriend and she loves them, but neither of us are truly audiophiles and I only have an AKG 240 to reference them

How about a separate mic and and headphone combo?
Recently got the Philips SP9500 ($60) and a v-moda boom pro ($30 - $35) mic for my girlfriend and she loves them, but neither of us are truly audiophiles and I only have an AKG 240 to reference them

I've thought about that but not enough USB ports on my computer :X

I ordered a Cloud II to try it out. Gonna try to RMA my G35 since it's still in warranty(can't find serial number tho)

About to start building my PC in a couple days as I have most of the parts now, but there was one factor I was seeing conflicting answers for which I was curious about; how do I get my current OS on my new motherboard? I was going to use my current Samsung 250g EVO SSD as a backup drive and my new 1TB Pro one as the 'main' drive for the new setup, however I'm under the impression simple moving the image from the 250 to the 1TB won't mean my PC is suddenly usable on this new motherboard. I've moved everything including the OS before from an even older HDD to the 250 SSD years ago, but the difference there was I didn't touch the motherboard.

Especially since I'm running Windows 10 and got this upgrade through Microsoft's free offer (in other words, there's no installation CD for it I can even use... Plus I haven't actually gotten a new CD/Blu Ray player yet :X), how do I go about installing a workable OS on this new set up while still being able to keep everything that's on my current SSD? I'm assuming it's highly unlikely just plugging in the SSD to this new motherboard will suddenly make everything work like it just suddenly became a lot faster.

EDIT: For that matter, which software would you recommend using nowadays for copying over one SSD's contents including OS to a new one? I'm just planning to install the SSD like it's this new PC's default drive, install the 1TB when that's up and running, copy the image over with whatever software, make the 1TB the default and format the 250. That the usual procedure people go with?

About to start building my PC in a couple days as I have most of the parts now, but there was one factor I was seeing conflicting answers for which I was curious about; how do I get my current OS on my new motherboard? I was going to use my current Samsung 250g EVO SSD as a backup drive and my new 1TB Pro one as the 'main' drive for the new setup, however I'm under the impression simple moving the image from the 250 to the 1TB won't mean my PC is suddenly usable on this new motherboard.

Especially since I'm running Windows 10 and got this upgrade through Microsoft's free offer (in other words, there's no installation CD for it I can even use), how do I go about installing a workable OS on this new set up while still being able to keep everything that's on my current SSD? I'm assuming it's highly unlikely just plugging in the SSD to this new motherboard will suddenly make it work.

what kind of installation was your previous version (7/8/8.1)? was it retail or OEM? i think you should be fine if you have retail. just install the OS onto your main drive and sign in with your microsoft account to activate the license. if it was an OEM version then you might need to buy a new license.

i bought an OEM license of 8.1, upgraded for free to 10, and had no issue reinstalling the OS when I did a clean install on my new SSD but when I built my new PC it wouldn't let me use it because there was a new motherboard so i had to buy a new license.

what kind of installation was your previous version (7/8/8.1)? was it retail or OEM? i think you should be fine if you have retail. just install the OS onto your main drive and sign in with your microsoft account to activate the license. if it was an OEM version then you might need to buy a new license.

i bought an OEM license of 8.1, upgraded for free to 10, and had no issue reinstalling the OS when I did a clean install on my new SSD but when I built my new PC it wouldn't let me use it because there was a new motherboard so i had to buy a new license.
My installation was originally 7, and roughly a year ago got upgraded for free to 10. Is that OS going to be too old for me to still get Windows 10 for free/register that I was given 10 for free in the first place?

Reich

French post incoming.

J'ai ajouté des items dans mon panier sur NCIX.

J'ai également demandé un pricematch .. dois-je attendre avant de passer la commande?

Dries

Hey guys, my CPU is behaving very strange and I have no idea what happened. The problem is that, while running games, my CPU usage is totally fucked up. I have a i7 6700K and I measure my CPU usage with MSI Afterburner. I've always used MSI Afterburner to check my CPU usages in games (it measures 8 CPU's because of HyperThreading). So, when all was still working normally, my CPU usages were something like the following example:

CPU1: 45%
CPU2: 25%
CPU3: 76%
CPU4: 54%
CPU5: 69%
CPU6: 34%
CPU7: 89%
CPU8: 70%

You see? The workload seems very nicely divided. For now I'm just making these numbers up, but it's just to give you an idea. Now, during some games, I've noticed that my values are more something like this:

CPU1: 78%
CPU2: 5%
CPU3: 4%
CPU4: 89%
CPU5: 0%
CPU6: 3%
CPU7: 95%
CPU8: 0%

So, where my CPU once divided it's tasks very evenly and efficiently, now it seems as if someone accidentally stepped on it and broke it. The way my CPU behaves now results in various MAJOR framestutters (my screen sometime freezes for 1-2 complete seconds). This happens especially with No Mans Sky and 3D Mark FireStrike. It's very painful to watch as it seems to just have happened out of nowhere. The only "change" that happened in my system is the new anniversary update of Windows... But I rolled back to a previous Windows version and that didn't fix a thing.

Do I maybe need to update mijn Intel chipset drivers? Maybe some people will advise me to check my BIOS settings, but I've never changed anything! Something has changed in my system, but I can't figure out what. Please, does anyone know what going on?

My installation was originally 7, and roughly a year ago got upgraded for free to 10. Is that OS going to be too old for me to still get Windows 10 for free/register that I was given 10 for free in the first place?

if you upgraded for free then it'll have saved the windows 10 license to your microsoft account. so all you need to do is reinstall it and log into your account to activate it. however, if your windows 7 was an OEM license then you will probably need to buy a new windows 10 license as your current one will be tied to your motherboard. that happened with my 8.1 oem license. if your windows 7 was a retail license then you should be able to keep using your current windows 10 license i think.

The Chef

Id love some input on displays.
I posted several pages back but am just really curious about the overwhelming amount of suggestions for 1080p displays. Is that pretty much what everyone uses? Those of you who have 1080 displays do you also use your PC for work stuff? (Adobe Suite Stuff).

Id love some input on displays.
I posted several pages back but am just really curious about the overwhelming amount of suggestions for 1080p displays. Is that pretty much what everyone uses? Those of you who have 1080 displays do you also use your PC for work stuff? (Adobe Suite Stuff).

i have a 1080p 60hz monitor. it's a BenQ RL2455HM and i am quite happy with it. a lot of people complain it looks washed out but if you calibrate it properly it will look good. at least i think it does. cost me £130. it's about $200 in the US i think.

i only use my PC for games and browsing the internet. i have photoshop but i don't use it for work just for messing about with. i'm thinking of upgrading to a 1440p monitor. looking at the Dell u2515h. i actually did own it but it arrived damaged. it was rough going back to my 1080p monitor and i miss how sharp everything looked. i just feel my PC isn't being used to it's full potential at 1080p. a lot of people are using 1440p monitors now. 1080p is definitely still popular though.

3x0

Neo Member
Hey guys, my CPU is behaving very strange and I have no idea what happened. The problem is that, while running games, my CPU usage is totally fucked up. I have a i7 6700K and I measure my CPU usage with MSI Afterburner. I've always used MSI Afterburner to check my CPU usages in games (it measures 8 CPU's because of HyperThreading). So, when all was still working normally, my CPU usages were something like the following example:
~~~
The way my CPU behaves now results in various MAJOR framestutters (my screen sometime freezes for 1-2 complete seconds). This happens especially with No Mans Sky and 3D Mark FireStrike. It's very painful to watch as it seems to just have happened out of nowhere. The only "change" that happened in my system is the new anniversary update of Windows... But I rolled back to a previous Windows version and that didn't fix a thing.

The CPU usage you describe can only be seen if the programs you're using aren't optimized for Hyperthreading or if Windows' CPU scheduler is broken. Since I assume the Games/Benchmarks didn't exhibit the issue before updating to Anniversary version, the only sure way of seeing what's the issue is to reinstall Windows from scratch, since rolling back can be troublesome.

DO NOT buy a Toshiba Hard Drive. I've had two 3TBs fail on me before 2 years were up, that's 100% anectodal failure rate! You have been WARNED.

The Chef

i have a 1080p 60hz monitor. it's a BenQ RL2455HM and i am quite happy with it. a lot of people complain it looks washed out but if you calibrate it properly it will look good. at least i think it does. cost me £130. it's about $200 in the US i think.

Cool thanks for the input. I definitely think I'm going to go with better resolution.
So then with that in mind, it comes down to 2 monitors or a single curved.

I was currently eyeing this guy
71br6lyzhuL._SL1500_.jpg
Is gaming problematic at all with these types of displays?
I dont imagine games having native support for this wide aspect ratio.

Gritesh

Cool thanks for the input. I definitely think I'm going to go with better resolution.
So then with that in mind, it comes down to 2 monitors or a single curved.

I was currently eyeing this guy

I have the Asus rog ultrawide, gaming isn't an issue for the most part, out of the games I play overwatch is the only one that doesn't support it properly.

World of warcraft, forza horizon 3, even games like the recently free Rayman from ubisoft support it and I have to say it's glorious when it works.

Biggest hurdle is driving games at a higher framerate in ultrawide as its alot more pixels.

The Chef

I have the Asus rog ultrawide, gaming isn't an issue for the most part, out of the games I play overwatch is the only one that doesn't support it properly.

World of warcraft, forza horizon 3, even games like the recently free Rayman from ubisoft support it and I have to say it's glorious when it works.

Biggest hurdle is driving games at a higher framerate in ultrawide as its alot more pixels.

Awesome.
Im either going to be running a 970 or 1070 so im assuming I wouldn't run into any performance issues?
(Man displays are freakin priiicey sheesh)

Maybe, I didn't have any issues. Most issues I hear about are user error.

No, not "maybe." You not experiencing issues does not mean they don't exist.

For example, every single person playing Dragon's Dogma with an xinput controller had double button inputs after the Anniversary update. This wasn't user error, it was a driver conflict caused by xinput's updated api.

If you don't conclusively know the answer to a question, don't just fart out an answer.

Elven_Star

Elven_Star

Many games do support 21:9 natively, especially newer games. There are ways to force others to use it as well. If all fails, you can play on 16:9 with black bars on the sides. Trust me, once you use an ultrawide monitor, you will never go back.

which do you guys like betteR? im stuck between these two pc cases:

the corsair comes with those 3 LED fans in the front.

I'd go with the NZXT one.

Plum

deWg7Px.png

So due to being at Uni bringing over my massive Desktop PC on a 2 hour car journey was simply not happening. Since I don't want to leave it behind for too long and I've been meaning to upgrade anyway I've decided to downsize into a Mini ITX case. I've got a total budget of about £600 but I'd preferably like to keep it under that if I can. These are the parts I've decided to buy, with the parts I'm carrying over being:

• Seasonic 660w Fully Modular PSU
  • Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD (OS Drive)
  • WD Black 2tb HDD
  • MSI GTX 980 Ti
  • 2 Corsair 140mm Fans

Any changes I should make? One thing I have to say is that I don't want an AiO Cooler, after having one I simply don't trust them and I'm not that much of an overclocker or heavy CPU user anyway.

Plum

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxfsK33BWlxHgglWl9LTAYA/videos

Here's a Youtube channel that goes into detail on 21:9 support in a decent amount of games. But overall if you only play modern Western titles (that aren't Overwatch) you really shouldn't have an issue, it's the niche, older or Japanese titles where major issues spring up. Some titles you can put in an unofficial patch or change some files to get it working but some titles just simply don't work.

gzW8kW3.png

WHxp31Y.jpg

I don't even like windows and I say the s340 Elite. It really is good looking.

deWg7Px.png

So due to being at Uni bringing over my massive Desktop PC on a 2 hour car journey was simply not happening. Since I don't want to leave it behind for too long and I've been meaning to upgrade anyway I've decided to downsize into a Mini ITX case. I've got a total budget of about £600 but I'd preferably like to keep it under that if I can. These are the parts I've decided to buy, with the parts I'm carrying over being:

• Seasonic 660w Fully Modular PSU
  • Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD (OS Drive)
  • WD Black 2tb HDD
  • MSI GTX 980 Ti
  • 2 Corsair 140mm Fans

You can fit a full size tower cooler in the Nano S. The C14s and U14s are better Noctua choices.

Plum

You can fit a full size tower cooler in the Nano S. The C14s and U14s are better Noctua choices.

Ah, thanks! Changed it to a U12s (U14s wasn't on PCPartPicker, though I'll buy that instead). Won't look as nice in the case I guess but I likely won't have the window facing me anyway.

LilJoka

CPU1: 45%
CPU2: 25%
CPU3: 76%
CPU4: 54%
CPU5: 69%
CPU6: 34%
CPU7: 89%
CPU8: 70%

You see? The workload seems very nicely divided. For now I'm just making these numbers up, but it's just to give you an idea. Now, during some games, I've noticed that my values are more something like this:

CPU1: 78%
CPU2: 5%
CPU3: 4%
CPU4: 89%
CPU5: 0%
CPU6: 3%
CPU7: 95%
CPU8: 0%

So, where my CPU once divided it's tasks very evenly and efficiently, now it seems as if someone accidentally stepped on it and broke it. The way my CPU behaves now results in various MAJOR framestutters (my screen sometime freezes for 1-2 complete seconds). This happens especially with No Mans Sky and 3D Mark FireStrike. It's very painful to watch as it seems to just have happened out of nowhere. The only "change" that happened in my system is the new anniversary update of Windows... But I rolled back to a previous Windows version and that didn't fix a thing.

Do I maybe need to update mijn Intel chipset drivers? Maybe some people will advise me to check my BIOS settings, but I've never changed anything! Something has changed in my system, but I can't figure out what. Please, does anyone know what going on?

Are you sure the game didn't change? Ie playing a different game? Since I never get CPU usage all balanced, most games will uses cores however they want.
Very much doubt this is a CPU hardware issue or BIOS.
More likely its the application or something else interrupting the application in the background.

DO NOT buy a Toshiba Hard Drive. I've had two 3TBs fail on me before 2 years were up, that's 100% anectodal failure rate! You have been WARNED.

They use HGST (atleast the ACA model). Which one specifically?
I have a 3TB ACA and its doing just fine, almost full too. Had it for about 1.5years.

gzW8kW3.png

WHxp31Y.jpg

Corsair will be a nightmare to clean. All those nooks and crannies will fill up with dust and youll be cleaning it with futility.

Ah, thanks! Changed it to a U12s (U14s wasn't on PCPartPicker, though I'll buy that instead). Won't look as nice in the case I guess but I likely won't have the window facing me anyway.

Good choices.

Dries

The CPU usage you describe can only be seen if the programs you're using aren't optimized for Hyperthreading or if Windows' CPU scheduler is broken. Since I assume the Games/Benchmarks didn't exhibit the issue before updating to Anniversary version, the only sure way of seeing what's the issue is to reinstall Windows from scratch, since rolling back can be troublesome.

Yeah, a fresh Windows install is still my last resort. I'll probably try it though.

Are you sure the game didn't change? Ie playing a different game? Since I never get CPU usage all balanced, most games will uses cores however they want.
Very much doubt this is a CPU hardware issue or BIOS.
More likely its the application or something else interrupting the application in the background.

Yeah, NMS did get a patch. But why would my CPU also behave so strange in FireStrike too? I can see that the behaviour is exactly the same. I've never noticed it before, but now it's so obvious I would think I would've seen this behaviour early on (if it was there). But it could also very well be an application running in the backround that didn't exist before (and maybe came with the new Windows anniversary update). But how to know?

Edit: Is it possible to roll back game versions in Steam? Then I could try running the game in pre-fuckup-patch mode.

e90Mark

So how bad are Killer NICs? Still leaning toward the Gigabyte Gaming 5 mATX board which uses a Killer E2200/E2400 depending on the revision. Seems like the best things I'm reading about Killer is "they aren't that bad." Worth avoiding a motherboard over, or are the problems (BSODs, memory leaks, high DPC latency, dropping connections) not as common as the Internet is making them seem?

Already found that there are some driver only packages to avoid the bloatware.

I use that exact board, 1.0. Not a lot of options for high end z170 matx, and from when I last checked, the Asus Gene is like a good $80 more for some features you (probably) won't even use.

I would say the Killer NICs aren't worth avoiding a mobo over, but Intel would've been preferred. The only problem I had was Windows 10 not being able to install a generic driver for it.

The Chef

Many games do support 21:9 natively, especially newer games. There are ways to force others to use it as well. If all fails, you can play on 16:9 with black bars on the sides. Trust me, once you use an ultrawide monitor, you will never go back.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxfsK33BWlxHgglWl9LTAYA/videos

Here's a Youtube channel that goes into detail on 21:9 support in a decent amount of games. But overall if you only play modern Western titles (that aren't Overwatch) you really shouldn't have an issue, it's the niche, older or Japanese titles where major issues spring up. Some titles you can put in an unofficial patch or change some files to get it working but some titles just simply don't work.

You guys are awesome. Totally sold me on the Ultra Wide. Thanks for the info!

LilJoka

Yeah, a fresh Windows install is still my last resort. I'll probably try it though.

Yeah, NMS did get a patch. But why would my CPU also behave so strange in FireStrike too? I can see that the behaviour is exactly the same. I've never noticed it before, but now it's so obvious I would think I would've seen this behaviour early on (if it was there). But it could also very well be an application running in the backround that didn't exist before (and maybe came with the new Windows anniversary update). But how to know?

Edit: Is it possible to roll back game versions in Steam? Then I could try running the game in pre-fuckup-patch mode.

Heres a firestrike run on on my pc
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4hpf6zevo5pz9v/HardwareMonitoring2.hml?dl=0

6700k 4.4ghz
gtx 970 1557/3850mhz

BosSin

Final update on my new build:

After roughly a week of waiting my new front audio port has arrived. The outcome being...

IT WORKS :D

After sending me a bullshit part originally Phanteks has pulled through!

As a celebration I will share my specs and pics. Gather round all and share in my relief

Specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU 4 cores @ 4.00GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
2x 8GB DDR4 Rijaws @ 3200 MHz
SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960 GB Sata III 2.5 inch Internal SSD up to 550 MB/s

And pics

Have been playing DOOM and The Witness at Ultra with buttery smooth framerates, while waiting for this damn audio port.

LilJoka

After roughly a week of waiting my new front audio port has arrived. The outcome being...

As a celebration I will share my specs and pics. Gather round all and share in my relief

Specs:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

And pics

Have been playing DOOM and The Witness at Ultra with buttery smooth framerates, while waiting for this damn audio port.

Glad its fixed, you should consider rotating the CPU heatsink clockwise 90* such that the CPU fan blows over the heatsink and towards the rear exhaust, as right now your pulling hot air from the GPU into the CPU Cooler rather then cool air from the front intake.

What LilJoka said.

BosSin

Glad its fixed, you should consider rotating the CPU heatsink clockwise 90* such that the CPU fan blows over the heatsink and towards the rear exhaust, as right now your pulling hot air from the GPU into the CPU Cooler rather then cool air from the front intake.

I tried that initially, the heatsink won't fit comfortably in that orientation because the 16x speed PCI-e port is closest to the CPU.

I at least have the heatsink fan on the opposite end, away from the GPU

I tried that initially, the heatsink won't fit comfortably in that orientation because the 16x speed PCI-e port is closest to the CPU.

I at least have the heatsink fan on the opposite end, away from the GPU

What does "won't fit comfortably mean?" Does the heatsink actually touch the gpu?

vector824

Specs:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Yeah fix that cooler. Fan should be on the right side of the computer, blowing through the heatsink and out the back.

What resolution and you playing at on Ultra?

I'm confused, you mean CPU into the GPU? Because the fans blow across the sink, so he's pulling from the top down in the GPU.

BosSin

Confirmed on Noctua's compatibility page. The U12s and the C14s both work though. If you're still in your return window, it's probably worth it to get one of those.

Damn... It was LilJoka that recommended that Heatsink and Mobo combo. I checked pc part picker and had no compatibility issues.

This build is turning out to be a pain in the ass.

How bad will it be to continue with this heatsink orientation? My current idle and stress temperatures look fine.

Syncytia

Finally said screw it and decided to upgrade from my 2500K. I think I need to buy a new W10 license? I built my current rig with a W7 OEM license and got onto W10 while the upgrade was free. That's all tied to the mobo right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom