• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1080 founder being 799, and Titan X Pascal being 1199 dollars, priming the 1080ti to snuggle up to that price point of 999 dollars. The old titan X price. :p

Here in EU, the cheapest 1080 I can find now is only 25 euros cheaper than my 980ti at launch price.

1080ti, when it's launched, will most likely break 1000 euro I am sure.

NVIDIA can, and so they will do it.

Vuze

Anyone with a EVGA gtx 1080 ftw?
I got the card not too long ago and randomly had the screen go black and fans ramp up to a 100% while playing overwatch. Upon searching online it seems to be a widespread issue.
http://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2530081&p=1

Was wondering if anyone else here experienced the same issue.

Kenzodielocke try Malewarebytes and hitman pro. Their both excellent softwares.
Had this once with GTAV a few weeks ago but never since. Also sounds like the fan is choking regularly if it isn't used constantly (i.e. if you're working with Premiere and previewing video). They also get obnoxiously loud under constant load. Overall not too happy for the price, in hindsight it was stupid not to buy a cheaper 1080 and slap a hybrid cooler on that lol. Oh well, lesson learned.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There shouldn't really be any difference in quality with HDMI and DP unless something is wrong with the cable or the device on one end. Could be calibration? The monitor or your system might save different calibrations for different inputs/devices, so it might just have needed recalibrated.

I've only used DP twice and had poor experience with it the first time. Bad cable caused the picture to flicker in. Was slightly reluctant to use it again for 144hz+Freesync, but I haven't had any problems with it this time.

Thanks, will give it one more try with a new cable...otherwise back to HDMI.

enewtabie

My post above explains my situation.

I am doing a little bit of both, but more for gaming at the moment.

Ok we have the same card but I have a 1070. I wouldn't buy a monitor with Freesync If those are your two choices I go with the Pixio. But if you want to spend a $100 more get the Dell like me. 2716DG 2560x1440 144hz with Gsync. I got it for $519

Would upgrading my 2500k @4.5ghz without getting a new Mobo be worth it? Not sure what socket Intel is on now, but I'd rather not get a new Mobo.

I suppose I won't find 16gb 2400mhz DDR3 RAM cheaper than this? http://www.hardwareschotte.de/preis...es-F3-2400C11D-16GAB-DDR3-2400-CL11-p21762774

Is that a good upgrade for a aging 3570k 4.4ghz system currently running 8gb 2100mhz?

Honestly, not really. There really isn't much of a point to upgrade to more ddr3. Better to save your money for a full cpu+mobo+ddr4 upgrade. Or upgrade your gpu, or buy another ssd.

Would upgrading my 2500k @4.5ghz without getting a new Mobo be worth it? Not sure what socket Intel is on now, but I'd rather not get a new Mobo.

The only upgrade path you have is getting a 2600k or 2700k. Even then the biggest difference would be in benchmarks and multithreaded workloads like video encoding. In actual games the gains won't be as big (if any). I will say this, I love my 2700k, at 4.9 ghz its still a beast. If you can find a good deal on one (don't pay more than 150), and can sell your cpu (which may be hard if you aren't going to sell the mobo as well), sure why not.

FireRises

ordered another Dell U2515H monitor last night and it should arrive today. Fingers crossed it doesn't arrive scratched to hell with dead pixels (sold as "new"). Figured maybe I just got unlucky since it seems to be a really popular and well reviewed monitor. Will be replacing my BenQ RL2455HM. I upgraded my PC a while back and just feel like it's being wasted playing at 1080p. Specs: i7-6700K/16GB/GTX 1070. Started downsampling where I could but would love native 1440p.

you won't have a problem with native 1440p, enjoy the monitor!

Ayumi

Hello!

Which one of these mid tower cases would you recommend me getting?

Sorry it's all in Japanese, but those are the available ones. My case budget is about ¥6000, and I'm looking for something with as good cooling as I can for that price. I checked PartPicker for the popular cases, but they either don't exist here or they're too expensive. Also, I'm using another website for online price comparison, so I might be able to find it at a better price somewhere else. I can also check for case names that aren't on AmazonJP.

As always, thanks in advance!

Ok we have the same card but I have a 1070. I wouldn't buy a monitor with Freesync If those are your two choices I go with the Pixio. But if you want to spend a $100 more get the Dell like me. 2716DG 2560x1440 144hz with Gsync. I got it for $519

I don't know if I can go a step backwards in terms of panel. How does that monitor compare to an IPS display?

I also Loath the crap that Nvidia is pulling with Gsync and can live without it. Would prefer not supporting it until they open up and also support adaptive sync as well. Gsync is pretty expensive but adaptive sync is a standard as far as I know.

Hello!

Sorry it's all in Japanese, but those are the available ones. My case budget is about ¥6000, and I'm looking for something with as good cooling as I can for that price. I checked PartPicker for the popular cases, but they either don't exist here or they're too expensive. Also, I'm using another website for online price comparison, so I might be able to find it at a better price somewhere else. I can also check for case names that aren't on AmazonJP.

I can vouch for the NZXTS340 and NZXT Phantom 410, I've seen builds made using them and they're really clean and caters well for the builder in terms of cable management and internals.

I'm using Phanteks Eclipse P400S for my second rig, you may wanna take a look at that. The "S" at the end denotes a "silent" case, with sound dampening feature. Phanteks also has tne Enthoo Evolv case, although that's costs a little bit more. They are supremely awesome though, those Phanteks Enthoo Evolv.

Here in EU, the cheapest 1080 I can find now is only 25 euros cheaper than my 980ti at launch price.

1080ti, when it's launched, will most likely break 1000 euro I am sure.

NVIDIA can, and so they will do it.

This generation, the US consumers are lucky to get their cards priced appropriately. I'm in Asia, and the prices are laughably bad here. The RX480, that is supposed to be AMD's savior with its USD199 price, is priced HIGHER than the already premium GTX1060. Really out of whack indeed.

Ayumi

I can vouch for the NZXTS340 and NZXT Phantom 410, I've seen builds made using them and they're really clean and caters well for the builder in terms of cable management and internals.

I'm using Phanteks Eclipse P400S for my second rig, you may wanna take a look at that. The "S" at the end denotes a "silent" case, with sound dampening feature. Phanteks also has tne Enthoo Evolv case, although that's costs a little bit more. They are supremely awesome though, those Phanteks Enthoo Evolv.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The NZXTS340 doesn't exist here, and the NZXT Phantom 410/Phanteks Eclipse P400S are way above my budget. ; w ;

Honestly, not really. There really isn't much of a point to upgrade to more ddr3. Better to save your money for a full cpu+mobo+ddr4 upgrade. Or upgrade your gpu, or buy another ssd.

I know that's the dilemma I am in :/ I already have two SSDs in my system and only recently upgraded to a GTX 1070. I won't be able to upgrade my mobo and CPU until the second half of next year and while I generally am content with 8gb I start to get seriously RAM constrained.

Battlefield 1 always became unplayable after two matches with memory utilization at 95% to the point where I had to restart the whole PC because Windows couldn't recover from the memory shortage, FIFA has the same problem where the game basically stumbles over itself and Forza Horizon 3 doesn't play as nicely with 8gb either :/

Thanks for the quick reply!

The NZXTS340 doesn't exist here, and the NZXT Phantom 410/Phanteks Eclipse P400S are way above my budget. ; w ;

It's in that Amazon list you have there. The NZXT Source 340.

It's right here. https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01551C4S4/

Though I would recommend this one before that one as it is the one I am currently using for my first build and it was very nice and has great airflow and cable management. It seems to be cheaper as well.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00OPWQQAC/

Ayumi

It's in that Amazon list you have there. The NZXT Source 340.

It's right here. https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01551C4S4/

Though I would recommend this one before that one as it is the one I am currently using for my first build and it was very nice and has great airflow and cable management. It seems to be cheaper as well.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00OPWQQAC/

Oh blerh, sorry! I just copy/pasted the name from his post. Still too expensive. Like I said, ¥6000 is my case budget.. ; w ;
How about these?
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00QQ4NF24/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00YXETBCC/
I know they might not be the best, but as long as they do a decent job & don't suck, it's fine with me.

Oh blerh, sorry! I just copy/pasted the name from his post. Still too expensive. Like I said, ¥6000 is my case budget.. ; w ;
How about these?
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00QQ4NF24/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00YXETBCC/
I know they might not be the best, but as long as they do a decent job & don't suck, it's fine with me.

I checked your Amazon prices and they're severely inflated. A case like Bitfenix Ronin costing 60 dollars is 140 after conversion on Amazon JP. Do you have other option of purchase other than Amazon?

I know that's the dilemma I am in :/ I already have two SSDs in my system and only recently upgraded to a GTX 1070. I won't be able to upgrade my mobo and CPU until the second half of next year and while I generally am content with 8gb I start to get seriously RAM constrained.

Battlefield 1 always became unplayable after two matches with memory utilization at 95% to the point where I had to restart the whole PC because Windows couldn't recover from the memory shortage, FIFA has the same problem where the game basically stumbles over itself and Forza Horizon 3 doesn't play as nicely with 8gb either :/

Can you not find 8gb of your current ram? If not I guess its ok to upgrade given your circumstances, just try to sell your current ram for like 30 or so to recoup some of the cost.

The only upgrade path you have is getting a 2600k or 2700k. Even then the biggest difference would be in benchmarks and multithreaded workloads like video encoding. In actual games the gains won't be as big (if any). I will say this, I love my 2700k, at 4.9 ghz its still a beast. If you can find a good deal on one (don't pay more than 150), and can sell your cpu (which may be hard if you aren't going to sell the mobo as well), sure why not.

That sucks. Upgrading within the same processor line seems worthless. Guess I'll just hold off on the cpu upgrade and just get a 1070 now

That sucks. Upgrading within the same processor line seems worthless. Guess I'll just hold off on the cpu upgrade and just get a 1070 now

Yeah, but look at it this way, that cpu is like 6 years old, so that it lasted this long is amazing. And you can always try pushing your overclock to 4.7 (or higher if your cooler is decent), maybe that will give you enough of a performance boost while you save up for a cpu upgrade.

That's not true. The best you can do is the 3770K, that's a gen later. An overclocked 3770k paired with 2400mhz RAM is still plenty good. What's your board though? There might be compatibility issue but I doubt it.

That's not true. The best you can do is the 3770K, that's a gen later. An overclocked 3770k paired with 2400mhz RAM is still plenty good. What's your board though? There might be compatibility issue but I doubt it.

oh yeah you are right I forgot ivy bridge drops into 1155. But honestly there isn't that big of difference between 3770k and 2600k/2700k.

Yeah, but look at it this way, that cpu is like 6 years old, so that it lasted this long is amazing. And you can always try pushing your overclock to 4.7 (or higher if your cooler is decent), maybe that will give you enough of a performance boost while you save up for a cpu upgrade.

Yea, I'll try oc'ing it a bit more. I never tried anything higher but my temps are still pretty low at load.
Asus P8 Z77

Yea, I'll try oc'ing it a bit more. I never tried anything higher but my temps are still pretty low at load.

Asus P8 Z77

Yeah, that will accept a 3770k without any problems. Clock for clock they are slightly faster than a 2600k, but the 2600k will overclock better (unless you delid the 3770k) without a doubt, so its kind of a wash performance wise if you take into account overclocking.

Can you not find 8gb of your current ram? If not I guess its ok to upgrade given your circumstances, just try to sell your current ram for like 30 or so to recoup some of the cost.

That's what I probably should do yeah. The problem is I have two 4gb 2133mhz sticks at the moment and while my board, a ASRock z77 Pro 3, has 4 slots only two of them function which sadly seems to be somewhat common for Ivy Bridge ASRock boards. If I put any kind of RAM into the A sockets the system will simply boot-cycle trying to detect the RAM and fails so I simply put the RAM into the B sockets and was done with it.

In retrospect I should have RMA'ed the board but I already promised a good friend that she could have my old system at the time and I didn't want to keep her waiting for the RMA turnaround nor did I want to be without a working PC for a week. Other than the broken RAM slots and thus the RAM only running in Single-Channel mode this board ran rock-solid for three years now with overclocking and everything.

That's what I probably should do yeah. The problem is I have two 4gb 2133mhz sticks at the moment and while my board, a ASRock z77 Pro 3, has 4 slots only two of them function which sadly seems to be somewhat common for Ivy Bridge ASRock boards. If I put any kind of RAM into the A sockets the system will simply boot-cycle trying to detect the RAM and fails so I simply put the RAM into the B sockets and was done with it.

In retrospect I should have RMA'ed the board but I already promised a good friend that she could have my old system at the time and I didn't want to keep her waiting for the RMA turnaround nor did I want to be without a working PC for a week. Other than the broken RAM slots and thus the RAM only running in Single-Channel mode this board ran rock-solid for three years now with overclocking and everything.

Dang that's tough luck. Looks like you don't have many options atm, so if you can afford the ram and its compatible go for it.

Gartikker

I'm looking to get Nvidia 1080 to go with my Intel i5 6500 processor. Would the graphics card be too held back by the i5? I'm running an Asus PG278Q monitor with my system.

ACE 1991

So I put a two inch long scratch on PG278Q ASUS monitor, and ASUS told me that it would be $300 to fix... lol. Would I have any luck taking it a Microcenter and trying to pay them to repair it? The actual LCD panel itself is unharmed, just the matte screen in front of it.

I'm looking to get Nvidia 1080 to go with my Intel i5 6500 processor. Would the graphics card be too held back by the i5? I'm running an Asus PG278Q monitor with my system.

No. I5's are virtually just as good as comparable i7s when it comes to gaming. You'll be fine

Hey, just wanted to tell I have resolved my high RAM usage, where it was like 12GB in non paged pool.

It was the Killer Network driver that needed the latest version.

Why is picking a monitor so dang hard? I can't make up my mind. I feel like I'm missing some great deal or hidden gem of a monitor or something...

Amazon and others do have aggressive sales but they are often only in a very short window. LG 34um95 was on sale for 600 dollars (I believe) for a few days not that long ago. If you managed to snap one of those up, you best belie you made a good call.

4k and gsync prices are coming down, but it's in relation to everything else. Still no G-sync with 21:9 34-inch curve for under a grand, and we won't see it until the 36-inchers and 40-inchers start popping.
And what they will do is first phase out a new line without gsync on some models and then the gsync models come later, and they are all bumped and adjusted in price in contrast.

When it comes to monitors figure out what you want in a monitor and then be dogmatic. I think that if you're on a budget you need a good monitor but not so much that you should pay a premium because its top dog. Then I'd rather get a compromise-ish monitor I'll upgrade sooner than later until something better comes along.

Monitors traditionally lasted people for many years. Since Apple shaked up the game with Retina Macbook Pro, we've gone towards a new era after being stuck in 2560x1440 for so long.

Amazon and others do have aggressive sales but they are often only in a very short window. LG 34um95 was on sale for 600 dollars (I believe) for a few days not that long ago. If you managed to snap one of those up, you best belie you made a good call.

4k and gsync prices are coming down, but it's in relation to everything else. Still no G-sync with 21:9 34-inch curve for under a grand, and we won't see it until the 36-inchers and 40-inchers start popping.
And what they will do is first phase out a new line without gsync on some models and then the gsync models come later, and they are all bumped and adjusted in price in contrast.

When it comes to monitors figure out what you want in a monitor and then be dogmatic. I think that if you're on a budget you need a good monitor but not so much that you should pay a premium because its top dog. Then I'd rather get a compromise-ish monitor I'll upgrade sooner than later until something better comes along.

Monitors traditionally lasted people for many years. Since Apple shaked up the game with Retina Macbook Pro, we've gone towards a new era after being stuck in 2560x1440 for so long.

That LG monitor you mentioned is going for $548 right now... Should I get?

What about that compared to the pixio?

I'll get one of those two I think.

kuYuri

Thanks for the replies guys. This http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2zQTM8 is my draft build next year and I was hoping the 1080 would become somewhat reasonable price wise, but as I'm trying to keep it under £2000, I think I'll have to settle for a 1070 which is substantially less.

Is the 1070 a decent card?

It's a great card. Absolutely worth it. Can easily do up to 1440p/60fps on high/ultra settings in most modern AAA games.

Hello!

I have experience with the Corsair 100R (well actually the 200R, but they are super similar). It's a great, simple case with tool-less storage of hard drives and decent airflow. Would definitely recommend it for your budget if a few hundred yen more wouldn't hurt.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00RORBQSW/

Not at all. An i5 will typically work well with a high end card.

So I put a two inch long scratch on PG278Q ASUS monitor, and ASUS told me that it would be $300 to fix... lol. Would I have any luck taking it a Microcenter and trying to pay them to repair it? The actual LCD panel itself is unharmed, just the matte screen in front of it.

Wouldn't hurt to ask. I used to work there and I think they used to do monitor repairs.

My current specs, following a GPU upgrade, are:

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
CPU: i7 3770k
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz

It's a Dell XPS-8500, so my next upgrade is going to mean a new case, motherboard, CPU and memory.

My question is - will I see much gain if I make the move now? It's going to cost about £500-600, so I'm only really willing to do it if it's likely the CPU/memory are any sort of bottleneck now I've got a good GPU.

Any thoughts?

OraleeWey

Well f-me I like both! You mother truckers aren't making this easy.

What are the cons of an Ultrawide?

Not all games support 21:9. I haven't had many issues that I can remember. Only game on the top of my head is Life is Strange. The CSGO menu in game is also messed up, it's a bit cropped on the top and bottom but still playable.

Most movies will go back to 16:9aspect ratio and have black bars on the sides of the screen. Same with any videos on the web, such as youtube and whatnot.

But the pros outweigh the cons.

Edit: https://gfycat.com/WildTightChuckwalla

Not all games support 21:9. I haven't had many issues that I can remember. Only game on the top of my head is Life is Strange. The CSGO menu in game is also messed up, it's a bit cropped on the top and bottom but still playable.

Most movies will go back to 16:9aspect ratio and have black bars on the sides of the screen. Same with any videos on the web, such as youtube and whatnot.

But the pros outweigh the cons.

I'ma do it. I'm going Ultra-wide. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Now to figure out if I should go refurbished or not... The guy selling the refurbished one has a nice money back guarantee but the regular amazon one has a restocking fee. Thing is, I don't know how bad the lottery is for the light bleed on these and if Amazon will accept that as a reason for a return. The refurbished seller seems like the way to go in that regard so that I could send it back and get another if the bleed is too bad... Right?

OraleeWey

https://gfycat.com/WildTightChuckwalla

As your monitor is being delivered, check the videos/comparisons in the internet. Its really amazing. There is also a dedicated thread

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=838097

This gif goes 4:3, 16:9, 21:9
n2ZLcb.gif

OraleeWey

EDIT: Now to figure out if I should go refurbished or not... The guy selling the refurbished one has a nice money back guarantee but the regular amazon one has a restocking fee. Thing is, I don't know how bad the lottery is for the light bleed on these and if Amazon will accept that as a reason for a return. The refurbished seller seems like the way to go in that regard so that I could send it back and get another if the bleed is too bad... Right?

I'm not sure on that tbh. But in my experience, amazon has the best customer support. One time, I emailed them on a Saturday letting them know I had a single stuck pixel on my monitor. They said, no problem, they sent me a new monitor (same exact model) with one day shipping and I got it the next day on a sunday. I still had the old monitor throughout all of this. All I had to do was send it back. It was no hassle for me, I was never monitor-less. YMMV though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom