• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcAnchoa

I'm looking for a replacement for my late AMD 6870, which will be paired with a Phenom II x4 955. I know the CPU is outdated, I don't want to spend too much money and I'm ok with playing in the lowest settings if I have to, so I'm not looking for something great, just a card that gets the job done. I'm thinking a RX 460 could be fine for that, any ideas/suggestions?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hey all -

Considering a graphics card update in the near future. I do have a 4K HDR TV I can play on, but I also have a non 4K monitor if that proves too stressful for the card. These are my specs right now:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme4
GPU: 2047 MB GTX 760

What's the most reasonable card to upgrade to without changing my CPU? Alternatively, what would a good CPU/GPU upgrade be if I'm willing to drop the extra cash?

Compsiox

Banned
Really having trouble deciding between the
ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q and Acer Predator XB271HU monitors

Im afraid of getting light bleed and having to suffer through multiple RMAs.

What should I do? Is IPS worth the risk?

I need a little help. My EVGA 980TI just died on me tonight. Well, last night technically. I am guessing that the cooling shut down and the card burned itself up without me knowing. New Mexico heat certainly doesn't help either. I had the card since its launch.

Now I need a new one. I game at 1440p ultra wide with a g sync monitor. I suppose I am looking at either a 1070 or 1080. I was going to wait for 1080ti but this has force my hand. Can anyone recommend me some good options or advice at a replacement?

You probably still have warranty left on that card you can check it out on evga's page. And they are very good at RMAs, so before you buy a new card please check that.

If you decide you want a new card that would be fine you can sell your 980ti when they ship it back. Coming from a 980ti, a 1070 is a side grade IMO, you won't notice any big difference. Your best best is the 1080. I'd stick with evga, but I hear msi is pretty good too.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If you need to get one right now, the 1070 is the better bang for the buck. If you are feeling that urge for something with more grunt, then I'd wait until the 1080ti is out - get that or look at major discounts that the 1080 will get then.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 780ti right now and I'm desperately trying to resist the urge to get a 1070 and find myself in this situation too.

Well, if I want to use my PC, I'm going to need one "now." Just trying to justify to myself if I should go for the 1070 for a bit of an upgrade over 980ti or go for a 1080 for a nice jump over the 980ti.

You probably still have warranty left on that card you can check it out on evga's page. And they are very good at RMAs, so before you buy a new card please check that.

If you decide you want a new card that would be fine you can sell your 980ti when they ship it back. Coming from a 980ti, a 1070 is a side grade IMO, you won't notice any big difference. Your best best is the 1080. I'd stick with evga, but I hear msi is pretty good too.

Well, I'm kicking myself here. I usually register every EVGA card I own, but for some reason, I can't find this 980ti on my profile. =(

Edit: Found my purchase information. Registering the card on the site shows a 3 year limited warranty. I'll cross my fingers here for a replacement. Would be just fine IMO.

Well, if I want to use my PC, I'm going to need one "now." Just trying to justify to myself if I should go for the 1070 for a bit of an upgrade over 980ti or go for a 1080 for a nice jump over the 980ti.

Well, I'm kicking myself here. I usually register every EVGA card I own, but for some reason, I can't find this 980ti on my profile. =(

You can still send it to them as long as it's not registered to someone else, at least that's what I was told by a friend.

http://www.evga.com/support/guestregister.asp

You can check how much warranty is left and then just call or email them

And imo if you are going to get a new card might as well go for the one that will give you a nice boost.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You can still send it to them as long as it's not registered to someone else, at least that's what I was told by a friend.

http://www.evga.com/support/guestregister.asp

You can check how much warranty is left and then just call or email them

And imo if you are going to get a new card might as well go for the one that will give you a nice boost.

Thanks. Going to get on that. If I can get a placement card, I'm super okay with just that. I honestly wasn't looking for an upgrade until the next Ti series. This would have just forced my hand.

Edit: Got off the line with tech support and I'll be shipping the card off for a replacement here today. Thank goodness. I'll be a bit without my PC but I mainly play FFXIV anyway so I can just use my PS4 in the meantime. Thanks guys for reminding me about the warranty. I think we get so caught up in our stuff, we forget to take advantage of these things. Thank you again.

Thanks. Going to get on that. If I can get a placement card, I'm super okay with just that. I honestly wasn't looking for an upgrade until the next Ti series. This would have just forced my hand.

No problem, let us know how it works out. I have a evga 980ti (hybrid) also that I bought used, so I would like to know if my friend was right about evga's customer service.

Hey guys.

I'm thinking about getting my first PC, because i'm a lover of strategy-games. (Stellaris, CIV, EUIV,..)
With civ6 coming out in a few days and my macbook most of the time getting really hot and loud, i want to make the switch.

I already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Budget would be 300-400€

Hey everyone!

Like the above poster, I'm starting from scratch on the PC front. I haven't owned one in many years and have never built one. I don't need bleeding-edge power as I intend to use it mainly for strategy games and sub-AAA indie titles.

Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: $800-1000 (U.S.A.)
Main Use (Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest): Light Gaming (4), Gaming (5), Emulation (2), Video Editing (1), Streaming games in HD (1), 3D/Model work (1), General Usage (3).
Monitor Resolution: I don't know where to begin with this question because I haven't ever had much choice in resolution -- I just chose whatever my laptop could handle (usually quite low). I will need to buy a monitor, and consistent with my description above, it likely won't be anything fancy.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Civilization 6, Europa Universalis 4, XCOM 2. It would be nice to run, say, Dark Souls 3 well, but mainly so that I could confidently run (if only at minimum settings) most games for years to come.
Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? I certainly don't need to run anything at 144FPS.
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Not at all.
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 750TX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900) N/A
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? The sooner the better. My current laptop technically meets Civ 6's minimum specs, but knowing how it runs Civ 5, I'm skeptical.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) Maybe.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hey everyone!

Like the above poster, I'm starting from scratch on the PC front. I haven't owned one in many years and have never built one. I don't need bleeding-edge power as I intend to use it mainly for strategy games and sub-AAA indie titles.

Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: $800-1000 (U.S.A.)
Main Use (Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest): Light Gaming (4), Gaming (5), Emulation (2), Video Editing (1), Streaming games in HD (1), 3D/Model work (1), General Usage (3).
Monitor Resolution: I don't know where to begin with this question because I haven't ever had much choice in resolution -- I just chose whatever my laptop could handle (usually quite low). I will need to buy a monitor, and consistent with my description above, it likely won't be anything fancy.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Civilization 6, Europa Universalis 4, XCOM 2. It would be nice to run, say, Dark Souls 3 well, but mainly so that I could confidently run (if only at minimum settings) most games for years to come.
Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? I certainly don't need to run anything at 144FPS.
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Not at all.
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 750TX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900) N/A
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? The sooner the better. My current laptop technically meets Civ 6's minimum specs, but knowing how it runs Civ 5, I'm skeptical.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) Maybe.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

if i was on a 1k budget I'd wrap my build around an i5 and a 1070gtx. Both would server all your needs without issue. Everything else can flex to the budget, but get those 2 layed in their and you are off to a great start. You could even drop to a 1060gtx with the games you listed and be fine.

Guys, quick question:

I've had my PC for about a year and a half now and all of a sudden while playing Forza two nights ago my CPU fan noticeably increased in volume by about 50%, I'd say. I figured the game was just being a bit wonky (as the port is) so I closed it, but even just sitting at the desktop was about 50% louder than before as well. I've since restarted it a few times over the past few days and no matter what it's about 50% louder in like for like situations.

I've opened it up and nothing looks wrong, I just cleaned it a few weeks ago and it's still clean, the fan is seated correctly, my temps are exactly the same as they were before, etc. I'm pretty stumped here.

The CPU fan is a Cooler Master hyper tx3 if that matters. CPU is a non over-clocked i5 4690.

if i was on a 1k budget I'd wrap my build around an i5 and a 1070gtx. Both would server all your needs without issue. Everything else can flex to the budget, but get those 2 layed in their and you are off to a great start. You could even drop to a 1060gtx with the games you listed and be fine.

Thanks!

Guys, quick question:

I've had my PC for about a year and a half now and all of a sudden while playing Forza two nights ago my CPU fan noticeably increased in volume by about 50%, I'd say. I figured the game was just being a bit wonky (as the port is) so I closed it, but even just sitting at the desktop was about 50% louder than before as well. I've since restarted it a few times over the past few days and no matter what it's about 50% louder in like for like situations.

I've opened it up and nothing looks wrong, I just cleaned it a few weeks ago and it's still clean, the fan is seated correctly, my temps are exactly the same as they were before, etc. I'm pretty stumped here.

The CPU fan is a Cooler Master hyper tx3 if that matters. CPU is a non over-clocked i5 4690.

Could be the bearings in the fan are going bad.

detteor

Neo Member
Any hdmi cable able to 144hz? I don't like how the window quality is shown with displayport and dual dvi and displayport... the image is "granulated" >_<

I would tinker with the monitor settings because all of those cables should be able to achieve what you are asking. Where it starts to have problems is displaying 4k at 144hz. Also you may want to look into getting some new cables and trying those out to see if they make a difference.

detteor

Neo Member
I'm getting a really strange GSYNC issue that has seemingly started happening for no discernible reason. I'm noticing that my GSYNC monitor is unable or unwilling to cap my framerate to 144Hz.

Overwatch hovers around 154. World of Warcraft sits around 160-200 at its highest points (500+ on the login screen lol). DOOM is between 190-200. Devil Daggers will play around 300. In all these tests I enabled the GSYNC Indicator and every time it was showing up as enabled, despite my framerate going well above 144Hz.

Now obviously this isn't going to be an issue in most games, since most won't achieve 144+, but it's still a weird issue that I'm bothered by. This doesn't seemed to have happened because of an NVIDIA driver update or anything like that. I'm a bit at a loss for what could be causing it.

Strangely, setting some games to Borderless Windowed gets my framerate back down to 144. Overwatch and World of Warcraft for instance work flawlessly when in Borderless Windowed mode. But other games such as DOOM will exceed 144 whether or not they're in Fullscreen or Borderless.

GSYNC has notorious problems in windowed mode. I would look this link over.

3x0

Neo Member
Hey guys.

I'm thinking about getting my first PC, because i'm a lover of strategy-games. (Stellaris, CIV, EUIV,..)
With civ6 coming out in a few days and my macbook most of the time getting really hot and loud, i want to make the switch.

I already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Budget would be 300-400€

This is the best I could do without severely compromising the performance. I'd recommend increasing the budget a little. The build doesn't meet the Recommended specs for Civilization 6 (Intel Core i5 2.5 Ghz or AMD FX8350 4.0 Ghz or greater, 2GB & AMD 7970 or nVidia 770 or greater). It's somewhere in between Minimum and Recommended.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€117.84 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€66.84 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€49.74 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€50.10 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 460 2GB Red Dragon Video Card (€121.62 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Zalman T5 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€31.83 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€46.85 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €484.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-06 20:44 CEST+0200

452€ without shipping.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tech support question regarding hard drive failure :

PC locked up, had to hard reset, UEFI loads but windows does not.

Tried to run a Windows repair by booking into Windows from USB, but it goes to a blank screen as long as that faulty SSD is connected at all to the motherboard.

Took out SSD, put it in an external USB adapter, tried to examine it with my laptop.

Laptop can't even see the SSD. Does not show up in Windows Explorer or drive management. Can't run chkdsk.

Going to try boot into Ubuntu and examine it from there.

Anyone have any more suggestions for me?

Tech support question regarding hard drive failure :

PC locked up, had to hard reset, UEFI loads but windows does not.

Tried to run a Windows repair by booking into Windows from USB, but it goes to a blank screen as long as that faulty SSD is connected at all to the motherboard.

Took out SSD, put it in an external USB adapter, tried to examine it with my laptop.

Laptop can't even see the SSD. Does not show up in Windows Explorer or drive management. Can't run chkdsk.

Going to try boot into Ubuntu and examine it from there.

Anyone have any more suggestions for me?

Try reinstalling the ssd back in the computer, go into the uefi and wait a bit (like an hour to be safe) for drive's smart to clean up the bad files. Then using your windows usb, try to boot from there, and go into advanced options and command prompt and try to chkdsk (i'm not sure that's the best option for ssds though?).

I recently had to go through this, luckily I had a another computer that I was able to hook the drive up to and run some diagnostics through. Unfortunately I ended up deleting the partitions and reformating the drive, but was able to use the drive again.

Eyeron

Anyone own this monitor or its 27" big brother? Appears that the price has gone down a little since release. It's one of the last components I need to decide on. Any red flags I should be aware of? Never owned a Dell. I'll be running a GTX 1080 so G-Sync is pretty alluring.

Dell Gaming S2417DG YNY1D 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IOO4SGK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Samaritan

GSYNC has notorious problems in windowed mode. I would look this link over.

The problem is is I'm still running to this issue in fullscreen with most of my games. It only seems to be Blizzard games, mainly Overwatch, that perform differently in borderless windowed mode. Furthermore, I'm now noticing that I'm getting screen tearing even with GSYNC enabled and working. I've no idea what the hell is going on, but I have a feeling the latest NVIDIA drivers or two might've caused this and I just didn't notice until recently.

tarheel91

The problem is is I'm still running to this issue in fullscreen with most of my games. It only seems to be Blizzard games, mainly Overwatch, that perform differently in borderless windowed mode. Furthermore, I'm now noticing that I'm getting screen tearing even with GSYNC enabled and working. I've no idea what the hell is going on, but I have a feeling the latest NVIDIA drivers or two might've caused this and I just didn't notice until recently.

I've noticed it caps my game at 70fps despite being a 60Hz monitor. Overwatch has some strange framerate limiting thing going on.

Ocho

Is the Acer XB271HU still the 1440 120hz+ monitor to get? Using nvidia, gsync would be nice but pref image quality.

FireRises

Is the Acer XB271HU still the 1440 120hz+ monitor to get? Using nvidia, gsync would be nice but pref image quality.

from what I can gather, it does seem to be the pinnacle for 1440p 144/165hz G-sync monitors. I'm holding out for a refurb deal.

BosSin

My replacement heatsink arrived and I have fixed the airflow problem, here's how my build looks now:

inPpbv2.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Try reinstalling the ssd back in the computer, go into the uefi and wait a bit (like an hour to be safe) for drive's smart to clean up the bad files. Then using your windows usb, try to boot from there, and go into advanced options and command prompt and try to chkdsk (i'm not sure that's the best option for ssds though?).

I recently had to go through this, luckily I had a another computer that I was able to hook the drive up to and run some diagnostics through. Unfortunately I ended up deleting the partitions and reformating the drive, but was able to use the drive again.
Thanks for the info will try that after. So far, it get this when I look at the drive in Ubuntu. It's unable to mount.
sKegAzZ.jpg

Athreous

I would tinker with the monitor settings because all of those cables should be able to achieve what you are asking. Where it starts to have problems is displaying 4k at 144hz. Also you may want to look into getting some new cables and trying those out to see if they make a difference.

The displayport cable is new, I bought it yesterday >_<

BraXzy

I'm having a weird issue with my monitor.

It's an AOC G2460PG. First thing is when it has no signal, it flickers through colours full screen like RED, GREEN, BLUE. Haven't figured out how to stop that.

Second thing is, the settings keep resetting. I change the brightness and the contrast etc. and next time I turn it on it's back to default. Anyone have any ideas?

I've got my heart set on an EVGA 1060 but are there any comparisons of normal vs SC? I mean benches, not just articles about a better fan. I ask because I want to pick one up this weekend but I can't find an SC in my area to save my life, while there are some stock of the regulars. FTW is out of the question but if the SC is actually better it seems like shame to pass it up for only 10 bucks more instead of just waiting longer...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
No need to reinstall, windows will reinstall a bunch of drivers after you swap the motherboard is all. Be sure to download ai suite 3 so you can adjust all the fans in windows, I had a z97a board and that was the nicest thing about it.

thanks, ill put that in my pocket for now...

I think we were having fairly similar problems. I've since reformatted and have been having luck playing CSGO. I did try Dark Souls3 and had a crash but I haven't thoroughly tested it.

i actually talked to EVGA again, and they think its the graphics card again. they said the last one i sent in was definitely broken (they dont do a follow up status thing)

so i guess i'll RMA it yet again and see what happens with the 3rd card i get.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK, continuing to pick up pieces for my build as they dip in price. got the GPU & power supply the last couple days.

my question is about the fans. the case comes with 2 fans & the cpu has it's own cooler. where do the 2 noctua fans go? do they just replace the case fans?
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (Purchased For $450.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $70.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.9 CFM 140mm Fan ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.9 CFM 140mm Fan ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1488.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-06 19:42 EDT-0400

OK, continuing to pick up pieces for my build as they dip in price. got the GPU & power supply the last couple days.

my question is about the fans. the case comes with 2 fans & the cpu has it's own cooler. where do the 2 noctua fans go? do they just replace the case fans?

They replace the single Fractal 140mm intake fan.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Posted a few days ago that a displayport cable I got for my new PC was causing the monitor to hurt my eyes. Ordered another cable, from a VESA-certified brand, and had the same problem.

Used an HDMI cable instead and my eyes felt much better. Any idea what caused this to happen? Is it some form of screen flicker, possibly?

Vuze

Posted a few days ago that a displayport cable I got for my new PC was causing the monitor to hurt my eyes. Ordered another cable, from a VESA-certified brand, and had the same problem.

Used an HDMI cable instead and my eyes felt much better. Any idea what caused this to happen? Is it some form of screen flicker, possibly?
Mh yeah, might be that both of your DP cables suffered from some sort of interference that caused flickering. Cheaper DP cables are rather sensible in my experience, i.e. the one that came with my monitor causes a quick blackscreen flicker if I touch it with my bare hands. But perhaps it's an issue with the monitors DP input considering you tried two different cables?

Can someone here help me out with geforce experience?

It is not working. Not at all. Nothing connects, program has to be shut down after a minute or so. Unable to connect to the servers, unable to scan for games etc.

It is really annoying, the previos experience worked for me, but since the redesign, it just doesn't work.

mhayze

Can someone here help me out with geforce experience?

It is not working. Not at all. Nothing connects, program has to be shut down after a minute or so. Unable to connect to the servers, unable to scan for games etc.

It is really annoying, the previos experience worked for me, but since the redesign, it just doesn't work.

Not sure which operating system, but UAC can cause these types of issues. Shift+Right click on the icon and choose "Run as administrator" to see if that helps.

Mupod

I can't find any kind of information on when the 7700k is expected to release. If it's not until next year I'll probably just get a 6700k.

My 2500k just hit 5 years. Been running it at 4.5 with a $15 hyper 212 cooler and two $1 fans since then. What a legend.

Bloodember

I can't find any kind of information on when the 7700k is expected to release. If it's not until next year I'll probably just get a 6700k.

My 2500k just hit 5 years. Been running it at 4.5 with a $15 hyper 212 cooler and two $1 fans since then. What a legend.

Q1 next year.

e90Mark

Anyone own this monitor or its 27" big brother? Appears that the price has gone down a little since release. It's one of the last components I need to decide on. Any red flags I should be aware of? Never owned a Dell. I'll be running a GTX 1080 so G-Sync is pretty alluring.

Dell Gaming S2417DG YNY1D 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IOO4SGK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I have the 27" version. Best bang for your buck 144hz G-Sync with the deals on them. Dell monitors are some of the best out there. Glad they made entry into the gaming segment.

Would recommend the 27/1440p version if you have a 1080.
I want to build a HTPC, what's the best 1080 with blower fan? A founder's edition?
Yes, the founder's edition.

jonno394

complete noob of a question, but I ordered a 4K TV last night,and want to connect my PC to it. My HDMI cables are all 5+years old, so just gonna get a new one to make sure it is fast enough for the 4K signal.

will these be ok? I doubt i'll be gaming any time soon at 4k60 (though I've heard older games like Tales of Zestiria will run on my GTX1060 at that res/frame rate)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014I8SIJY/

enewtabie

I have the 27" and I love it. 1ms response in 144hz 1440p display with gsync. Don't stress the TN/IPS stuff as it looks fine to me. Got it for $519 at Best buy with price match on New egg. I'm running it with a 1070 on Ultra on everything I play.

Tankshell

Spent the last week upgrading my rig. Been running some torture tests on it all day and seems to be stable so far. Looking forward to doing some actual gaming this weekend.

Before:
  • i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz
  • 8Gb DDR3 @ 2133Mhz
  • EVGA 780Ti SC 3Gb
  • Asus P8p67Pro Mobo
  • Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo air CPUcooler
  • Coolermaster 1000w PSU

After:
  • i7 6850K @ 4.5Ghz
  • 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
  • EVGA 1080 SC 8Gb
  • Asus ROG X99 Strix Gaming Mobo
  • Asus ROG Front Base LCD
  • Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm Liquid CPU cooler
  • 3x Corsair AF120 quiet blue LED fans
  • Coolermaster 1000w PSU

I'm still using my 7 year old Coolermaster Cosmos S case... because it still has plenty of room inside and IMO looks the business even after all these years. Had a small issue attaching the massive 280mm radiator of the H115i to the top of the case, but managed to get it to fit by screwing it in via the grill rather than the actual screw holes :)

You can't see it in the pics, but it's hooked up to a projector in the living room via HDMI, for comfy couch gaming. Also have a Steam Controller, and a Steam Link for streaming to the bedroom.

Also got a Rift CV1 plugged in via a DisplayPort -> HDMI connector.

It's a very versatile setup :)

Pics:

SirChop

Neo Member
Hi, I've searched in this thread and the GTX 1080 thread and didn't see an answer to this question:

The official GTX 1080 specs (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080) show HDCP 2.2, but not every 1080 is showing HDCP Ready on Newegg. The MSI Gaming X shows "HDCP Ready Yes" on Newegg, but the PNY VCGGTX10808XGPB-OC doesn't state this at all. Should every 1080 (and every 10x0 from what I see) support HDCP, or can different manufacturers have different compliance?

I'm also looking at getting the PNY 1080 or 1070, what I've seen of reviews is that PNY is lesser known, but fine. Are their video cards typically low noise and durable quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom