• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coughlanio

New PC parts arrived, just need to wait a week until my birthday until I can play with them. (Gift from my girlfriend).

She spoiled me with a 6800K, ASRock Taichi X99, 32GB DDR4 and a Cryorig H5 Universal. Going to be a tough week...

Pagusas

Elden Member
As far as Nvidia and HBM2, I'm really beginning to wonder what their plan is.

There are rumors of a Pascal refresh, including including three GP102 cards: 2080, 2080 Ti and Titan Black v2, but that's of course unconfirmed. The main point is, these cards are rumored to be using GDDR5-X, not HBM2. Assuming Volta architecture is revealed at GTC in April, and non-gaming (Tesla) cards come out in 2017, gaming cards in early 2018, does that mean Nvidia won't have HBM2 GeForce cards until early 2018 or do you think they'll release at least one Pascal card with HBM2 in 2017 -- What do you think guys?

I think with how horribly ineffective AMD is in the space, why rush it?

Bloodember

OK, I'm really getting pissed about this. Anyone have an issue with Radeon cards, RX series. I have a XFX RX 480, where the fan goes to 100% for no reason? I also have where the GPU utilization is 100% also, but not at the same time. Anyone know how to fix it? I've read it's a driver issue, and they still haven't fixed it. New drivers as of 10-5.

Pagusas

Elden Member
OK, I'm really getting pissed about this. Anyone have an issue with Radeon cards, RX series. I have a XFX RX 480, where the fan goes to 100% for no reason? I also have where the GPU utilization is 100% also, but not at the same time. Anyone know how to fix it? I've read it's a driver issue, and they still haven't fixed it. New drivers as of 10-5.

Use a custom fan profile via one of the many radeon tools is what I'd do.

So the sapphire r9 fury is on sale for ~$250 on jet.com. Is that cheap enough to upgrade from a 390? I'll be buying a 1440 monitor here soonish.

If I get a GTX 1080 is 60 fps even that important when g-sync exists? I'm wondering because I wanna know whether to buy a 4k monitor or just go with a 1440p. If I buy a second 1080 in the near future, buying a 4k display now would be future proofing (or is SLI just not recommended?).

I mean I could just build my new PC and just use the 970 in my old rig and play at 1080p until the GTX 1080ti comes out and buy that instead.

What to do.

If I get a GTX 1080 is 60 fps even that important when g-sync exists? I'm wondering because I wanna know whether to buy a 4k monitor or just go with a 1440p. If I buy a second 1080 in the near future, buying a 4k display now would be future proofing (or is SLI just not recommended?).

What to do.

60 fps is still important in my experience. Gsync helps a lot but 35 fps still looks super ugly (imo).

SLI is a crapshoot, so if I were you I would just stick with 1440p (high refresh rate) and one video card.

New PC parts arrived, just need to wait a week until my birthday until I can play with them. (Gift from my girlfriend).

She spoiled me with a 6800K, ASRock Taichi X99, 32GB DDR4 and a Cryorig H5 Universal. Going to be a tough week...

That's quite the present, happy birthday indeed.

What are you upgrading from?

Is the Seagate Barracuda series a reliable brand for a HDD? If not, can you guys recommend a good brand that's under $100 that's 1.5-2TB? I found a few on amazon under $100

Okay thanks. Just curious from a 1080p perspective is it a jump up? A drop of 4 GBS of VRAM but it's hbm.

It's a decent step up, I don't think you'll be disappointed at its performance at 1080p. 4gb is ok for today and the near future but if you are the type that needs ultra textures I don't think it will be enough for higher resolutions than 1080p.

Mozendo

Is the Seagate Barracuda series a reliable brand for a HDD? If not, can you guys recommend a good brand that's under $100 that's 1.5-2TB? I found a few on amazon under $100

For under $100 you can get a 3TB HDD. Anywho the Toshiba 3.5 HDDs are great because they're rebranded Hitachi/HGST drives at a great value. I recommend their P300 series as the DT01ACA series has little to no packaging.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/KykwrH/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-hdwd120xzsta
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/QFGj4D/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-hdwd130xzsta

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Last I checked, HGST is owned by WD?

WD seems to have gotten the rights to the HGST name, and their 2.5" tech. Toshiba got their 3.5" tech.

I'm not sure the X300 and P300 are rebrands of Hitachi drives, they might be based on HGST tech though. They are rebrands of drives that seems to have come out a couple years after Hitachi sold everything off. Unless the P###/ACA series are rebranded Hitachi drives, so the P300 are rebrands of rebrands?

Mozendo

I'm not sure the X300 and P300 are rebrands of Hitachi drives, they might be based on HGST tech though. They are rebrands of drives that seems to have come out a couple years after Hitachi sold everything off. Unless the P###/ACA series are rebranded Hitachi drives, so the P300 are rebrands of rebrands?

The PCB oh the P###/ACA series seem to have the same exact PCB as the P300, and of course the same exact specifications, that's enough isn't it?
Anywho I'll be getting a 2TB P300 tomorrow, but I don't have a P###/ACA 2TB drive, just a 3TB. Is there any I can tell if the P300 is a rebrand for sure?

Vipu

Banned

I mean I could just build my new PC and just use the 970 in my old rig and play at 1080p until the GTX 1080ti comes out and buy that instead.

What to do.

1440p + 144hz > 4k

kuYuri

WD seems to have gotten the rights to the HGST name, and their 2.5" tech. Toshiba got their 3.5" tech.

It seems I stand corrected! Thanks for the info you two.

It's a decent step up, I don't think you'll be disappointed at its performance at 1080p. 4gb is ok for today and the near future but if you are the type that needs ultra textures I don't think it will be enough for higher resolutions than 1080p.
Ok thank you. I'm starting to get some drops at 1080p even with the 390. Now I'm reconsidering monitors for now. I just want them to announce dates already for new cards.

coughlanio

Weird that the Wikipedia entry for GSYNC has the Dell S2417DG listed as a 1080p monitor when it's 1440p, I saw a post implying the same thing here last night. Anyone want to fix it? :p

kennah

Looks like my pump died on my pc. Between that and my macbook being at the Apple store right now, I have no computers. Feels bad man.

This is my updated rig:

Intet i7 6700K@4.1 (Stock)
MSI Z170 M3 Gaming
2x 8G Ballistix Tactical @2666
Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
Corsair RM750X
Noctua NH 15-D
Fractal Design R4

I will change the 970 for a 1080 with the Christmas Gratification.

14499035_1234447253242960_2706153413107777536_n.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The PCB oh the P###/ACA series seem to have the same exact PCB as the P300, and of course the same exact specifications, that's enough isn't it?
Anywho I'll be getting a 2TB P300 tomorrow, but I don't have a P###/ACA 2TB drive, just a 3TB. Is there any I can tell if the P300 is a rebrand for sure?

I know they are rebrands of the P###/ACA drives, but those were also Toshiba enterprise drives from 2013. I don't think they are rebranded Hitachi drives, but I'm not sure.

This is my updated rig:

MSI Z170 M3 Gaming
Corsair RM750X
Noctua NH 15-D
Fractal Design R4

Your cooler fans could be placed better. Assuming they're blowing toward the rear exhaust, move the leftmost fan to the right side of the cooler. If RAM clearance is an issue, you can slide the fan up if your side panel doesn't interfere.

Your cooler fans could be placed better. Assuming they're blowing toward the rear exhaust, move the leftmost fan to the right side of the cooler. If RAM clearance is an issue, you can slide the fan up if your side panel doesn't interfere.

Thanks for the tip, will do.

RAM clearance isn't an issue.

i got a dell u2515h the other day and mostly been enjoying it. however one side of the screen appears to be warmer than the other. it isn't really noticeable unless there is one colour going across the screen. for example looking at my browsers tab bar. i have 3 tabs and that part looks kinda warm but when i look over at the minimize/maximise/close buttons it looks a little cooler. not sure if this is normal or if i'm just imagining it. maybe i'll get used to it.

also i was getting some artifacting. there were loads of horizontal flashes across the screen and some individual pixels were flashing. i updated my GPU drivers to nvidia 373.06 and it has fixed it so far but today i turned on my PC and my entire screen was pixelated. i turned the monitor back off and then on which fixed it.

should i be worried? am i going to need to return it? i dread the thought of having to go back to my old 1080p monitor and don't want the hassle of sending this back and having to order another. this is my second one. i have 30 days to decide so i guess i'll see but just want to know what i should be doing.

z3phon

Hey guys got a quick question. I've got the asus z170 deluxe motherboard and the evga 1080 ftw graphics card. Everything seems to be working fine on the system but sometimes I turn the pc on I have the vga led on the motherboard on. I'm not experiencing any issues or anything but then why does the vga led on the board light up?

edit: when I restart system the vga led light goes off.

This is my updated rig:

MSI Z170 M3 Gaming
Corsair RM750X
Noctua NH 15-D
Fractal Design R4

Looks great. Time to overclock your CPU. I have the same CPU and cooler... it's a really nice setup.

Hey guys got a quick question. I've got the asus z170 deluxe motherboard and the evga 1080 ftw graphics card. Everything seems to be working fine on the system but sometimes I turn the pc on I have the vga led on the motherboard on. I'm not experiencing any issues or anything but then why does the vga led on the board light up?

edit: when I restart system the vga led light goes off.
Check your manual, probably just a diagnostic on boot so that you know the LED works at all.

DBT85

Anyone shucked an external hard drive rather than buying an internal one?

I was after more storage for my server and WD do an 8TB Red Helium Internal for £310 or a My Book external 8TB for £210. Since WD only seem to make the 8TB in Red or Purple variants, the My book should be one of those and for £100 less.

Not bothered about the warranty, never ever used a warranty on anything.

LilJoka

Anyone shucked an external hard drive rather than buying an internal one?

I was after more storage for my server and WD do an 8TB Red Helium Internal for £310 or a My Book external 8TB for £210. Since WD only seem to make the 8TB in Red or Purple variants, the My book should be one of those and for £100 less.

Not bothered about the warranty, never ever used a warranty on anything.

Yep I bought a hitachi HDD and ripped it out the enclosure as it was a lot cheaper. Warranty is lost.

StewboaT_

Hey guys, so I just ordered parts for a 1080p machine and looking for a little advice.

I5 6500
Gtx 1060
16 gb ram

Will the 6500 be alright for 1080p gaming or should I be upgrading to a 6600k with a cooler? I'll happily swap the parts if it makes a lot more sense. Obviously I would do some slight overclocking if that's the case. Now in saying that, is the cooler master hyper 212 a sufficient cooler for slight overclocking?

Thanks!

LilJoka

data

Hey guys, so I just ordered parts for a 1080p machine and looking for a little advice.

I5 6500
Gtx 1060
16 gb ram

Will the 6500 be alright for 1080p gaming or should I be upgrading to a 6600k with a cooler? I'll happily swap the parts if it makes a lot more sense. Obviously I would do some slight overclocking if that's the case. Now in saying that, is the cooler master hyper 212 a sufficient cooler for slight overclocking?

Thanks!
6500 will be okay, don't worry

Labrys

So I've been generally kind of unhappy with my computer lately; it having AMD stuff as a base in particular as I haven't been really wowed by what it's given me. So, I'm planning on just building a new one and carrying over my graphics card and my harddrives.

Here's my current specs:
4588a88b648e0f9765f90f757795c37b.png

Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Corsair C70 Military Green (Green) ATX Mid Tower Case

My monitor is an LG Ultrawide (2560x1080)

That's what I currently have, which with some amazon credit I have is hovering around $520, which is give or take my budget. Is there anything here I could do better/more efficiently? My computer is mainly for general use and gaming, and with that i'd like to finally get a solid 60 fps with some graphical upgrades and start dabbling in emulation.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been generally kind of unhappy with my computer lately; it having AMD stuff as a base in particular as I haven't been really wowed by what it's given me. So, I'm planning on just building a new one and carrying over my graphics card and my harddrives.

Here's my current specs:

That's what I currently have, which with some amazon credit I have is hovering around $520, which is give or take my budget. Is there anything here I could do better/more efficiently? My computer is mainly for general use and gaming, and with that i'd like to finally get a solid 60 fps with some graphical upgrades and start dabbling in emulation.

Looks fine apart from the power supply. Lower end Corsair PSUs (like that one) aren't good, and higher end ones are more expensive than equally good alternatives.

I'd recommend this Seasonic instead as a quality alternative, or this EVGA which isn't great but is a solid budget option. Amazon isn't very good for power supplies though, at least based on PCPartpicker.

nikos

Welp, something's up with my aging PC. Windows became dirt slow. Reinstalled it, which took hours. Now I can't boot into Windows 10 or from USB to reinstall it. Not sure what's going on with it, but I think it's the right time to upgrade.

Current specs:

Gigabyte GA-ZX68-UD3H-B3
Intel 2500K
8GB Kingston HyperX
HD5850
Corsair HX650W
HDD definitely needs replacement.

Looking to build a new 1080p gaming rig. Budget to replace all of the above is $1k max, ideally around $800. Is the Corsair HX650W still relevant and usable? Case/monitor/accessories are fine, though I would prefer a quiet/dark case as I thought lights and fans were cool when I built this.

Starting to do research, but any and all help to steer me in the right direction would be much appreciated!

BrokenArrow

Neo Member

Here's my current specs:

Seems fine to me.
One suggestion (I know you said your budget is pretty much used up, so maybe for a future upgrade) would be to get an SSD. Even a 128GB one just for your operating system and a few of your most used programs would be a huge upgrade in terms of general performance (not talking gaming). The Samsung 850 EVO is a good choice.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, something's up with my aging PC. Windows became dirt slow. Reinstalled it, which took hours. Now I can't boot into Windows 10 or from USB to reinstall it. Not sure what's going on with it, but I think it's the right time to upgrade.

Current specs:

Gigabyte GA-ZX68-UD3H-B3
Intel 2500K
8GB Kingston HyperX
HD5850
Corsair HX650W
HDD definitely needs replacement.

Looking to build a new 1080p gaming rig. Budget to replace all of the above is $1k max, ideally around $800. Is the Corsair HX650W still relevant and usable? Case/monitor/accessories are fine, though I would prefer a quiet/dark case as I thought lights and fans were cool when I built this.

Starting to do research, but any and all help to steer me in the right direction would be much appreciated!

If the PSU is under warranty it should be fine to keep using it.

Fans are cool, literally, just make sure they are quiet and not dumb looking.

Get a SSD, if your HDD still works you can keep it for extra storage.

Labrys

Seems fine to me.
One suggestion (I know you said your budget is pretty much used up, so maybe for a future upgrade) would be to get an SSD. Even a 128GB one just for your operating system and a few of your most used programs would be a huge upgrade in terms of general performance (not talking gaming). The Samsung 850 EVO is a good choice.
Definitely in the future I'm looking into an SSD, i've been meaning to get one. Probably towards the end of November/early December I'm looking into getting one and possibly updating my graphics card; I've been eyeing the 1070 line, this one looks pretty neat.
Looks fine apart from the power supply. Lower end Corsair PSUs (like that one) aren't good, and higher end ones are more expensive than equally good alternatives.

I'd recommend this Seasonic instead as a quality alternative, or this EVGA which isn't great but is a solid budget option. Amazon isn't very good for power supplies though, at least based on PCPartpicker.
Thank you! I'll definitely trade that out for the Seasonic, to be completely honest the psu is one of the things I know about the least so even I wasn't too sure on the one I picked. I could probably go with Newegg for it too and get the rebate since they're offering free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom