• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

z3phon

Looks great. Time to overclock your CPU. I have the same CPU and cooler... it's a really nice setup.

Check your manual, probably just a diagnostic on boot so that you know the LED works at all.
Well base on what I've noticed. When I do a cold boot all the LEDs turn on and off as expected after the POST, except for the VGA led. it remains on and the Q-Code displays normal info. Then I do reboot after the cold boot and the VGA LED turns off and everything looks fine.
I'm just wondering why is it that the VGA LED remains lit after the cold boot.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I honestly feel like I'm getting worse performance with the latest NVIDIA drivers. Is this possible for whatever reason? Like, noticeable frame drops in certain games...

So I've been generally kind of unhappy with my computer lately; it having AMD stuff as a base in particular as I haven't been really wowed by what it's given me. So, I'm planning on just building a new one and carrying over my graphics card and my harddrives.

Here's my current specs:
4588a88b648e0f9765f90f757795c37b.png

Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Corsair C70 Military Green (Green) ATX Mid Tower Case

My monitor is an LG Ultrawide (2560x1080)

That's what I currently have, which with some amazon credit I have is hovering around $520, which is give or take my budget. Is there anything here I could do better/more efficiently? My computer is mainly for general use and gaming, and with that i'd like to finally get a solid 60 fps with some graphical upgrades and start dabbling in emulation.

Well, presuming you're gonna sell off the old PC to recuperate some cost, you could maybe think about nabbing a GTX 1060 down the line.

I honestly feel like I'm getting worse performance with the latest NVIDIA drivers. Is this possible for whatever reason? Like, noticeable frame drops in certain games...

Yes its possible imo nvidias driver team hasnt been that great lately, their latest two driver have been pretty unstable on my 980ti.

nikos

So this is my preliminary build. I already own the case and PSU. A new case would be nice, but so is saving some money. As far as the PSU goes, I'm hoping it's sufficient and the connectivity is all still the same.

Any thoughts? I'll be gaming at 1920x1200, at least for now. I've been using this Apple Cinema Display for quite a while. It's great, but will be replaced with a more gaming appropriate monitor at some point.

EDIT: After almost five hours, this may be the final build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($240.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin ECO3 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card ($394.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $915.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-10 02:45 EDT-0400

coughlanio

So my new motherboard (ASRock Taichi) has two M.2 slots, so I'm thinking of ditching my SATA drives and just going M.2.

My current configuration:

120GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Games/Apps)
1TB HGST HDD (Google Drive)

I've noticed that my HGST might be starting to have issues, slower to spin up, hanging when navigating the folder structure etc, so I want to replace it with an SSD at least.

My CPU is a 6800K, which has 28 PCI lanes, and that limits me to running 1 M.2 slot in PCIe mode and the other in SATA mode. With that in mind I'm planning on getting the 960 EVO 1TB M.2 drive once it's released this month, but I'm also looking at grabbing another 1TB M.2 SATA drive to replace my HDD.

Any recommendations on a good 1TB M.2 SATA drive? I'm a fan of Samsung SSDs, so is the 1TB 850 EVO M.2 my best choice? What about Intel's 5-series SSDs?

DonMigs85

Kaby Lake seems to have more or less a 10% performance gain over Skylake. It's kinda like how Ivy Bridge improved over Sandy Bridge. So unless you desperately need a PC now, I would wait for Kaby. Especially for emulation since every bit of IPC and OC headroom helps.

fast_taker

Hey guys, so I just ordered parts for a 1080p machine and looking for a little advice.

I5 6500
Gtx 1060
16 gb ram

Will the 6500 be alright for 1080p gaming or should I be upgrading to a 6600k with a cooler? I'll happily swap the parts if it makes a lot more sense. Obviously I would do some slight overclocking if that's the case. Now in saying that, is the cooler master hyper 212 a sufficient cooler for slight overclocking?

Thanks!

your hardware configuration is more than enough for 1080p/60fps gaming ;)

fast_taker

i consider purchasing a new gaming pc built for 1440p with the following specs:
cpu: i7 6700K
gpu: msi 1070 gaming X
mobo: asus maximus viii hero
ssd: samsung 850 evo

Any specific proposals for ram? I am considering corsair vengeance lpx 16Gb ddr4 at 3200mhz...

Any specific proposals for ram? I am considering corsair vengeance lpx 16Gb ddr4 at 3200mhz...

You can probably find 3000Mhz RAM for slightly less money and it will make no difference in terms of performance.

How soon are we likely to see a 1080Ti?

rumors are january i've seen but who knows. there might not even be one.

i have the exact build except different motherboard. i have that ram too. i couldn't get it to run at 3200mhz with my cpu overclocked though. maybe i did something wrong though but 3200 is fine. you can always run it at a lower speed. mines are at 2666 with 1.2V. they are rated to use up to 1.35V so i could get a bit more out of them. highest i got was 2933 at 1.35V but at 3200 i was needing a bit more voltage and was still crashing and getting BSOD.

How soon are we likely to see a 1080Ti?

As soon as AMD puts out a contender for the higher end audience.

As of now, nothing from AMD can compete in the same bracket with the 1080, enthusiasts have the Titan XP to quench their thirst.

They will milk these cows dry before giving us new cows.

Friend of mine ordered a build with an 850 EVO main SSD but it's come back as that part being out of stock. The store has recommended replacing with this: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/256...c-nand-read-2150mb-s-write-1260mb-s-300k-100k

It's crazy fast but I'm unfamiliar with these. So long as the motherboard is compatible is there any reason not to get this for the primary hard drive for installing Windows 10 on? Along with a second 2TB HDD?

they could get the 750 EVO. it has the same read/write speeds as the 850 and is £30 cheaper:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/250...-256mb-cache-read-540mb-s-write-520mb-s-97k-8

if the m.2 ssd is within budget and the motherboard supports it then yea get that because the speeds are much faster. the difference will be mostly noticeable when using windows but might not see a huge difference in games.

mjc

Hey guys, looking for some starter advice. I've had a laptop for some light gaming over the last year or two, but I'm going to build a PC. I honestly don't know too much about the intricacies of the components, but I'm learning bit by bit.

Budget: $1000ish - US

Main Use: 4-5 (Gaming primarily)

Monitor Resolution:
1080p, don't need anything super super powerful necessarily. I play Overwatch, Total War games, etc.

When will you build?: Sooner than later, I have the money now.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes

BraXzy

they could get the 750 EVO. it has the same read/write speeds as the 850 and is £30 cheaper:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/250...-256mb-cache-read-540mb-s-write-520mb-s-97k-8

if the m.2 ssd is within budget and the motherboard supports it then yea get that because the speeds are much faster. the difference will be mostly noticeable when using windows but might not see a huge difference in games.

I believe it's compatible and scan themselves recommended it. Good stuff, thanks!

DBT85

Anyone shucked an external hard drive rather than buying an internal one?

I was after more storage for my server and WD do an 8TB Red Helium Internal for £310 or a My Book external 8TB for £210. Since WD only seem to make the 8TB in Red or Purple variants, the My book should be one of those and for £100 less.

Not bothered about the warranty, never ever used a warranty on anything.

Yep I bought a hitachi HDD and ripped it out the enclosure as it was a lot cheaper. Warranty is lost.

Well mine is here. Some early models had a 7200 HGST He8 drive in them, this however just has the standard WD80EZZX drive, still helium but only 5400rpm.

The My Book was easy to open with no tools at all, you just have to put both palms flat on the side with your fingers wrapped around the curved front, drive on your lap and then just push down and away while pushing back with your fingers, basically trying to make a fist with your hands. I've removed the drive and there is no way anyone would know I've done it.

Very pleased, exactly what I wanted and £100 cheaper that I had bargained for.
This was connrected directly, speeds via the USB3 controller were very close. Maximum was 184 MB/s and Burst Rate was down at 150 MB/s but apart from that it was the same.

QvZexM0.png

Jeffrey

feel like my 3570k is holding me back atm with all these modern open world games at 1440p.

(3570k, 980ti, 16gb ram)

Is it a good time to upgrade the cpu?

Is hyperthreading needed for gaming or not these days? I feel like im getting mixed messages.

6600k vs 6700k is a fairly large difference in price.

Running Gears of War 4 with these settings on the secondary rig, i7 4790K OCed to 4.4Ghz and GTX1080FE 2050Mhz core/10800Mhz memory OC.

Not bad. Gonna see how it run on Titan X Pascals later on the primary rig.
fNvPJ5k.jpg

TTGLH3Q.png

Pved9gg.png

fZva04Z.png

tk9iE60.png

And the benchmark results running 3840x2160 on Ultra.

XBiwnD0.jpg

DBT85

Should I OC my GTX 1080 even though I only do 1080p60fps?

Since its easy and free, why wouldn't you?

feel like my 3570k is holding me back atm with all these modern open world games at 1440p.

(3570k, 980ti, 16gb ram)

Is it a good time to upgrade the cpu?

Is hyperthreading needed for gaming or not these days? I feel like im getting mixed messages.

6600k vs 6700k is a fairly large difference in price.

Get the 6600k. Perfect for gaming.

enewtabie

Got my mini itx case narrowed down to either the Fractal 500 or the Node 202. The 202 looks like it's not much bigger than an Xbox one. Anyone have any experience with either? The 500 definitely would be easier to work with and use for air/liquid coolers.

I'm just doing a simple build for my tv. 6500 and a 470/480. 1080p gaming.

vector824

Hey guys, looking for some starter advice. I've had a laptop for some light gaming over the last year or two, but I'm going to build a PC. I honestly don't know too much about the intricacies of the components, but I'm learning bit by bit.

Monitor Resolution:
1080p, don't need anything super super powerful necessarily. I play Overwatch, Total War games, etc.

This is $100 over budget, but will serve you very well. AMD video card.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($122.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Dell Small Business)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ Video Card ($265.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 83.6 CFM 140mm Fan ($7.99 @ Directron)
Total: $1119.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-10 13:28 EDT-0400

Here's an NVIDIA GPU version:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Dell Small Business)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1113.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-10 13:28 EDT-0400

If you have Windows you can deduct the price from the total.

Ocho

Got my mini itx case narrowed down to either the Fractal 500 or the Node 202. The 202 looks like it's not much bigger than an Xbox one. Anyone have any experience with either? The 500 definitely would be easier to work with and use for air/liquid coolers.

I'm just doing a simple build for my tv. 6500 and a 470/480. 1080p gaming.

One coming my way tomorrow. I'll hit you up with impressions if no one else has.

Mozendo

Monitor Resolution:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 470 8GB NITRO+ Video Card ($238.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Deepcool DUKASE V2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1015.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-10 14:04 EDT-0400

BruinsMtB

Banned
So, I got hit by a car and I'm going to buy a new computer with part of the insurance settlement. First time I've had a hefty budget to work with. I've been thinking about moving from 1080p to 1440p, eyeing this monitor:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LVV48d/asus-monitor-pb278q

I'd go with the GTX 1080 if I move to 1440p, so I have some futureproofing. Otherwise I'll buy the 1070 and stick with my current monitor. Is 1440p enough of an upgrade to justify the extra $600~ on my budget, or is 4K the only way to go at this point? Anyone with experience with the current selection of 4K monitors that could make some suggestions?

Vipu

Banned
So, I got hit by a car and I'm going to buy a new computer with part of the insurance settlement. First time I've had a hefty budget to work with. I've been thinking about moving from 1080p to 1440p, eyeing this monitor:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LVV48d/asus-monitor-pb278q

I'd go with the GTX 1080 if I move to 1440p, so I have some futureproofing. Otherwise I'll buy the 1070 and stick with my current monitor. Is 1440p enough of an upgrade to justify the extra $600~ on my budget, or is 4K the only way to go at this point? Anyone with experience with the current selection of 4K monitors that could make some suggestions?

1440p + 144hz > 4k
What is your current monitor?

Hip Hop

Is 144hz worth it if I'm not playing multiplayer shooters? I always assumed it wasn't because if I'm cranking up graphics settings even a high end GPU isn't going to get that far above 60-70~ FPS for current games
It's very much worth it, for all games, pretty much with anything above 60 fps you can notice the difference. It's huge and I'd say it's a bigger jump than resolution. It's for anything, not just multiplayer. It will change your experience. Even your internet browsing or desktop browsing will change.

I wouldn't get anything less than 144hz now in days, especially if you got a capable card.

Vipu

Banned
Is 144hz worth it if I'm not playing multiplayer shooters? I always assumed it wasn't because if I'm cranking up graphics settings even a high end GPU isn't going to get that far above 60-70~ FPS for current games

It's very much worth it, for all games, pretty much with anything above 60 fps you can notice the difference. It's huge and I'd say it's a bigger jump than resolution. It's for anything, not just multiplayer. It will change your experience. Even your internet browsing or desktop browsing will change.

I wouldn't get anything less than 144hz now in days, especially if you got a capable card.

This.

Korezo

Me to I tried to uninstall and install a older driver to rollback but now my pc just boots up to a black screen.. Anyone have any ideas? My desktop is completely black with just the mouse pointer.. have a 980ti and tried to install nvidia driver 356.10

PinballRJ

My first build, I've spent a couple weeks researching
I already bought the GPU and was planning on getting everything else this week
Just wanted to get some second opinions before I buy

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($137.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.30 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (Purchased For $419.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($109.98 @ My Choice Software)
Total: $1308.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-10 17:06 EDT-0400

vector824

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (Purchased For $419.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($109.98 @ My Choice Software)
Total: $1308.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-10 17:06 EDT-0400

This gets you under $1300 with rebates. Includes faster RAM, different MOBO and Windows Home instead of Pro.

Total: $1263.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-10 17:24 EDT-0400

Mozendo

My opinion.
1. I'd go with a cheaper SSD. Yeah the 850 EVO is fast but you'll never use it to it's true potential if you're just using it for regular use and gaming.
2. Changed the ram to cheaper ones with higher speeds, they also fit with the color scheme.
3.Don't go with that PSU, I'm not to knowledgeable in PSUs I've been told the G1 are not good units, if you want EVGA go with a G2/GS/P2.
4. Changed the case to a better looking one IMO with a better view of your build. if you want to save some money the Deepcool Dukase is basically a budget S340/P400 for $50

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.73 @ NCIX US)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case ($86.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1275.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-10 17:32 EDT-0400

Arkanius

Still haven't shown my finished build. Didn't pay much attention to cable management, but I managed to just show the needed cables and that's it. The case makes it a breeze to manage them though. (Backside is a bit messy)

I wish I had braided cables for the maximum look, but my case isn't windowed.

ogT6RQC.jpg

• I7 6700K (Still haven't OCd)
  • Z170A MSI Krait Gaming 3X
  • 16GB G.Skill RipJaws 3200 Mhz
  • MSI 980 Ti 6G
  • WD Black 1TB
  • 500GB Samsung 950 EVO
  • Ye old Noctua cooler. (Can't remember the model name, this beast has been with me for 4 builds now)
  • Corsair 600Q case

DSN2K

after much deliberation I've decided to forget Skylake and DDR4 ram for a while. I managed to pick up a i7-4770s cheaply. Its the step up from my i3 I wanted. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4770S-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4330/m2123vs2876

Still trying to sell my R9 290 at the moment to fund a new GPU but I'm not getting any offers on ebay at all. Ive got it up for £160 what I really dont think is expensive for a used card that still performs as well if not better then RX470 & 80 in certain situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom