• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_chris

Yeh. The 4790k was a later generation chip that came out with the 97 series of chipsets. Your 87 series would definitely need a bios update to work. That will fix your problem.

I'm always told to be careful when updating BIOS. I'm at F1, and I see the latest goes up to F5. Should I update to the latest firmware or just the one I need?

LordAlu

I'm always told to be careful when updating BIOS. I'm at F1, and I see the latest goes up to F5. Should I update to the latest firmware or just the one I need?
You only really need to update if it fixes a problem you're having. In this case the BIOS being used didn't support a processor so it needed updating to use it. If you're having no issues with your system, it's best to leave it be.

kennah

I'd go latest, if you're updating, may as well go all the way.
Do retailers sell a 19" 144hz and 1440p monitor? For my setup, 19" is the largest I wish to use. If not, how small do they come?

If I had to decide between 1440p or 144hz, which is the best route? I have a GeForce GTX 1070.
Smallest I've ever seen was 24". You could search on pcpartspicker.com in your country for high refresh monitors and then sort by size.

Bloodember

Thank you again for the list! I forgot to write that I already own a gaming pc with an i5-6600k and a 1080. What I wanna do now is take the gaming pc home with me (is currently my work/gaming pc) and build a work pc with a video card capable of running windows/programs/office at 2560x1440 @ 120 hz. Will a 1050 ti be enough for this?

EDIT:

Just saw this one, thank you. What about an i3-6100 and a GTX 1050 Ti? Enough for working with text programs such as memoQ?

EDIT2: http://localisationdemo.kilgray.com/products/memoq-server/system-requirements Not sure how up to date the requierements are though. My older work laptop has an i3 from about 3 years ago inside (Lenovo B590) and everything was working perfectly.
If your just using it for text programs and memoq, the onboard gpu of the I5 or even the I3 will work just fine.

vector824

Thank you again for the list! I forgot to write that I already own a gaming pc with an i5-6600k and a 1080. What I wanna do now is take the gaming pc home with me (is currently my work/gaming pc) and build a work pc with a video card capable of running windows/programs/office at 2560x1440 @ 120 hz. Will a 1050 ti be enough for this?

What about an i3-6100 and a GTX 1050 Ti? Enough for working with text programs such as memoQ?

If your just using it for text programs and memoq, the onboard gpu of the I5 or even the I3 will work just fine.

This is true. The Intel® HD Graphics 530 is quite good.

Plum

Can anyone recommend a good Air CPU cooler for the Fractal Design Nano S? I'm currently looking at the Noctua NH-U12S:

51RBBjVJoKL.jpg

But I'm wondering whether I could get one slightly bigger, or whether that one even fits. I don't want to go too overboard as I won't be OCing my CPU all that much.

enewtabie

Can anyone recommend a good Air CPU cooler for the Fractal Design Nano S? I'm currently looking at the Noctua NH-U12S:

51RBBjVJoKL.jpg

But I'm wondering whether I could get one slightly bigger, or whether that one even fits. I don't want to go too overboard as I won't be OCing my CPU all that much.

I just got a Cryoig M9i for my mini itx case. It's my first Cryoig product. Noctua seems fine as well.

andycapps

I just got a Cryoig M9i for my mini itx case. It's my first Cryoig product. Noctua seems fine as well.
I have that case and got the Hyper 212. It's a tight fit and the fan has to hang off the edge of the heatsink just a tad because of other things going on in there but it's fine. Not sure about that one.

Alxjn

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I recently installed an evga z170 ftw and now both my cpu fan (pwm) and front case fan(3 pin) are running at around 1000 rpm. The cpu is hooked up to the cpu_fan and the front fan stays the same regardless of where its plugged in. Rear fan(3 pin) is cha_fan, and runs at 500rpm at idle, similar to the speed all my fans would run at on my previous motherboard when idle. Is this normal?

I've tried playing with the smart fan settings but I'd rather not, is that my only option?

andycapps

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I recently installed an evga z170 ftw and now both my cpu fan (pwm) and front case fan(3 pin) are running at around 1000 rpm. The cpu is hooked up to the cpu_fan and the front fan stays the same regardless of where its plugged in. Rear fan(3 pin) is cha_fan, and runs at 500rpm at idle, similar to the speed all my fans would run at on my previous motherboard when idle. Is this normal?

I've tried playing with the smart fan settings but I'd rather not, is that my only option?

You could setup profiles on speedfan. That's what I ended up doing. Though I ended up using the Gigabyte software for the GPU fan profile since speedfan doesn't recognize the fan control for some reason. But the case fans and CPU fan I control through speedfan.

kuYuri

51RBBjVJoKL.jpg

Some Cryorig and be quiet coolers are currently on sale on Newegg right now, I would highly recommend those as well. Some decent deals for them.

Mozendo

Guys, I am looking to upgrade my setup to liquid cooling.

I am currently running a Cooler Master 212 EVO, any suggestions on a closed loop (can't be arsed with custom loops/too scared I will drown my rig to try it) cooler that would be a significant improvement and not break the bank?
Artic Cooling Liquid Freezer 240
I started looking into this cooler and how is it quieter than the h100i's 2 fans? Seems kinda nuts, here's hoping my new micro atx case can fit a 4" cooler

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016...ezer_240_aio_cpu_cooler_review/3#.WCOZUfkrKCh

51RBBjVJoKL.jpg

Unless your ITX board is out of spec (like the Maximus VIII Impact), you can up to the D15 in the Nano S. The D15S or U14S are probably your best bet for RAM compatibility.

Plum

Some Cryorig and be quiet coolers are currently on sale on Newegg right now, I would highly recommend those as well. Some decent deals for them.

Not in America I'm afraid. I've given myself a budget of about £60 max for the cooler though so I'll shop around.

Unless your ITX board is out of spec (like the Maximus VIII Impact), you can up to the D15 in the Nano S. The D15S or U14S are probably your best bet for RAM compatibility.

It's a new motherboard (Asus Z170I Pro Gaming) so spec shouldn't be an issue and neither should RAM clearance since I'm getting LP. Think I might get the U14S after looking at it; thanks!

EDIT: Could I potentially mount one of Noctua black Industrial fans on there? I've got a 120mm one lying around that would fit it. It's mainly for looks since I've decided on getting the Windowed version.

I bought the stuff to build this PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zJWBTH

I saw all the stuff in the OP. I'm obviously not going to be overclocking the CPU. Do I need to worry about temperatures? I'm supposed to overclock the motherboard RAM slots via XMP right? Is there additional tuning on the motherboard, video card, and CPU? BIOS? I've been out of the game too long and have no idea anymore.

desmax

So, my gtx 1060 arrived today, so I though I'd put it on my machine.
Currently I'm using a i3 2100, and it's not doing the job anymore, so I'll need to upgrade. I already have a processor here, but I'll need a compatible motherboard to go with it; that I'll buy by the end of the month.

My question, however, is; is this fine?

20161110_215050h0sjw.jpg

The sata cables are right on the front of one of the coolers of the vga. Is it fine to leave it like that, until next month?

psn

So, my gtx 1060 arrived today, so I though I'd put it on my machine.
Currently I'm using a i3 2100, and it's not doing the job anymore, so I'll need to upgrade. I already have a processor here, but I'll need a compatible motherboard to go with it; that I'll buy by the end of the month.

My question, however, is; is this fine?

20161110_215050h0sjw.jpg

The sata cables are right on the front of one of the coolers of the vga. Is it fine to leave it like that, until next month?

As long they don't touch the fan it's okay imo.

Mozendo

Put the red sata cable under the black one to make sure it doesn't it the fan (or change the red swirly PSU cables to the top if you can), also what PSU are you using? I'm concerned about it's quality.

Not in America I'm afraid. I've given myself a budget of about £60 max for the cooler though so I'll shop around.

It's a new motherboard (Asus Z170I Pro Gaming) so spec shouldn't be an issue and neither should RAM clearance since I'm getting LP. Think I might get the U14S after looking at it; thanks!

EDIT: Could I potentially mount one of Noctua black Industrial fans on there? I've got a 120mm one lying around that would fit it. It's mainly for looks since I've decided on getting the Windowed version.

The U14S uses a 140mm fan. You could use your 120mm on the U12S, though.

Mikeybycrikey

Neo Member
Here's a weird little quirk I never worked out, nor could find further info on google about. With freesync turned on in monitor settings+radeon settings. Using vsync to limit frames to 75(monitors refresh rate) (limiting fps in radeon settings doesn't seem to work for me). When I start a game in fullscreen exclusive mode, I get frame jumps/dips and tearing until I alt-tab out and in again, then it holds solid. Why is this?
Using Windows 10 in a machine with 2500k/390. From memory had similar issues with my 6950 before it. Games I notice it in mostly are SkyrimSE, Rocket League and Killing Floor 2.

desmax

Put the red sata cable under the black one to make sure it doesn't it the fan (or change the red swirly PSU cables to the top if you can), also what PSU are you using? I'm concerned about it's quality.

Done.
It's a Seventeam ST-550P-AG.

The cable management is a mess, so I'd rather not have not have to change. Not like it ever gave me any problems too.

dark_chris

To the gaffers who helped me with the processor issue, thank you! :)
Updated the firmware on my bios and now my new i7 processor is in use.

Woohoo!

TheFury

Hey all,

Building a new PC for the gf and would appreciate some suggestions.

Your Current Specs: N/A. Asus R552JV laptop previously.
Budget: Around $1,300 AUD (+$200-300 for an IPS monitor), Australia
Main Use: 5 Graphic design (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign); 2/3 Gaming
Monitor Resolution: Probably 1080p IPS as only have $200-300 AUD.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 30-60 FPS is fine. Using Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign, possibly at the same time is the main priority.
Looking to reuse any parts?: N/A
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Within 1-2 months
Will you be overclocking?: No/Maybe

This is what I have come up with so far but happy for any improvements. Main concerns are if a 250gb scratch disk is too much (could save $65 for a 750 EVO 120gb) and if the RX 460 is ok. Extra $80-100 here for an RX 470. I think 16gb ram is enough but I don't use the programs. Will also be getting a windows 7 key for free so no cost.

Haven't included a monitor as I haven't done much research on what is available yet.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($317.00 @ Shopping Express) - Apparently not much difference between this and i7 6700k for photoshop etc
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($125.00 @ PLE Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($109.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($124.00 @ Shopping Express) - Scratch disk for Photoshop and Illustrator
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($125.00 @ Umart) - OS, programs
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.00 @ IJK) - General file storage, movies etc
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($199.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($72.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1324.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-11 19:30 AEDT+1100

Thanks for the help!

Since I don't normally keep an eye on these things: what PC components, if any tend to hit Black Friday (I.e lightning deals)? I'm thinking very little, but perhaps monitors, SSDs, and peripherals like KB/M. I'm in the b UK, but I doubt that will make a huge difference.

Do any UK retailers typically have a sale event this time of year too? I'm thinking like Overclockers UK weekly price cuts on a wider basis.

LordAlu

Since I don't normally keep an eye on these things: what PC components, if any tend to hit Black Friday (I.e lightning deals)? I'm thinking very little, but perhaps monitors, SSDs, and peripherals like KB/M. I'm in the b UK, but I doubt that will make a huge difference.

Do any UK retailers typically have a sale event this time of year too? I'm thinking like Overclockers UK weekly price cuts on a wider basis.
Most UK retailers will try to do something, although it's nowhere near the scale of US discounts, and will likely be even less thanks to Brexit. I'd expect a smaller selection and less of a discount, but they'll all still do something.

TokiDoki

Hi PC experts. This seems like the place to ask these questions:

I built a rig about a year ago, but I didn't pick the parts, I asked some knowledgeable people at the time what to get and am overall happy with it. But, I think I may have undershot on the processor. I don't know what I have for a processor at the moment, but mainly I'm looking for a little 101 on how to know what processor would be an upgrade and how to know if it's going to be compatible. I want to say it's an i5 quad core 3.5 ghz but that's about all I know.

But also, I want to know it'll make a difference. I run the Oculus app and it's saying that my video card (r9 390) is fine, but my processor is low. The Vive app says I'm good to go all-around. If that helps.

Primarily, this is a thousand dollar Minecraft machine. I run mods, 128x textures and SEUS shaders and I'd like a more stable frame rate. Will a new processor help me? And can I get a decent upgrade for a reasonable amount of money?

Side question, my video card seems to shut off like it's overheating (which it also does) from the tiniest vibration. Is ther a fix for that or is my card cooked? I've tried reseating it a bunch of times and that's about the end of my expertise on the matter.

Right click > properties on the This PC explorer to check your CPU model , or download a software named CPUz . A stock 3.5Ghz i5 seems like it might be the i5 4690 model , not the best but I still think its decent .

About the shutting off , are you sure its because of video card overheating ? You can download another software GPU-z to look at the card temperature .

vector824

I bought the stuff to build this PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zJWBTH

I saw all the stuff in the OP. I'm obviously not going to be overclocking the CPU. Do I need to worry about temperatures? I'm supposed to overclock the motherboard RAM slots via XMP right? Is there additional tuning on the motherboard, video card, and CPU? BIOS? I've been out of the game too long and have no idea anymore.

It comes with an ok cooler, so probably not as long as your case has good airflow (buy a couple more fans). Yes on the XMP, mobo manual will show you how to do that. Shouldn't be anything else you need to do except downloading drivers.

Hey all,

Building a new PC for the gf and would appreciate some suggestions.

Your Current Specs: N/A. Asus R552JV laptop previously.
Budget: Around $1,300 AUD (+$200-300 for an IPS monitor), Australia
Main Use: 5 Graphic design (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign); 2/3 Gaming
Monitor Resolution: Probably 1080p IPS as only have $200-300 AUD.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 30-60 FPS is fine. Using Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign, possibly at the same time is the main priority.
Looking to reuse any parts?: N/A
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Within 1-2 months
Will you be overclocking?: No/Maybe

This is what I have come up with so far but happy for any improvements. Main concerns are if a 250gb scratch disk is too much (could save $65 for a 750 EVO 120gb) and if the RX 460 is ok. Extra $80-100 here for an RX 470. I think 16gb ram is enough but I don't use the programs. Will also be getting a windows 7 key for free so no cost.

Haven't included a monitor as I haven't done much research on what is available yet.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($317.00 @ Shopping Express) - Apparently not much difference between this and i7 6700k for photoshop etc
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($125.00 @ PLE Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($109.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($124.00 @ Shopping Express) - Scratch disk for Photoshop and Illustrator
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($125.00 @ Umart) - OS, programs
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.00 @ IJK) - General file storage, movies etc
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($199.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($72.00 @ CPL Online)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-11 19:30 AEDT+1100

Thanks for the help!

Dropped the scratch SSD to 120gb, stick with the M.2 for sure, I love mine. Mobo and RAM upgrade to take advantage of OCing, different cooler.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($317.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($45.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($169.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($125.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Samsung 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($68.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($125.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.00 @ IJK)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-12 00:24 AEDT+1100

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member
Huh? Maybe I'm not reading this question right, but if it's the same price, why would you go with the 470?

I apologize, I should have been a little clearer. Is there any real difference between the 470 nitro, and the 480? Will there be a noticeable difference in frame rates? Or can I just grab the 470 as it is more in line w/ my budget, or should I hold out for the performance of the 480.

LordAlu

I apologize, I should have been a little clearer. Is there any real difference between the 470 nitro, and the 480? Will there be a noticeable difference in frame rates? Or can I just grab the 470 as it is more in line w/ my budget, or should I hold out for the performance of the 480.
If it is a stock RX 480, the Nitro+ RX 470 is extremely close in performance (like 5%). If the RX 480 is within £25 in price I'd probably pick the RX 480, but if it's any more it's not worth the extra. If it's an overclocked RX 480 that's close in price though, I'd choose that.

DrBretto

Banned
Right click > properties on the This PC explorer to check your CPU model , or download a software named CPUz . A stock 3.5Ghz i5 seems like it might be the i5 4690 model , not the best but I still think its decent .

About the shutting off , are you sure its because of video card overheating ? You can download another software GPU-z to look at the card temperature .

That actually sounds like it might be the chip. I'm not at home right now, but I will try that and report it here later tonight.

The video card though, no, I'm NOT sure it's overheating. Sometimes, I'm positive it's not. Last night it happened randomly and very shortly after I turned my PC on and started gaming. It happened a few times in a row. Generally, though, if I open up the case and stick a window fan right on it, it runs perfect for hours and hours, but it could well be coincidence.

If the case gets the tiniest bump, the video shuts off. Sometimes it's randomly. Sometimes it seems to be related to there being too much going on on the screen at once.

Aside from putting the fan in there, I'm wondering if it might be a power issue. Maybe the PC being off for a minute while I went upstairs to get the fan was the real fix.

Reckoner

My PC was making a weird fan noise lately, so yesterday I opened it up and noticed that two of the blades of my ROG Matrix 980 graphics fan broke and lodged on the inner side of it. Should I be optimistic of Asus fixing it? It's on the second year of warranty and they give three on this model.

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member
If it is a stock RX 480, the Nitro+ RX 470 is extremely close in performance (like 5%). If the RX 480 is within £25 in price I'd probably pick the RX 480, but if it's any more it's not worth the extra. If it's an overclocked RX 480 that's close in price though, I'd choose that.

Thanks for the info. I will be on the lookout for a better priced 480 over the holiday. But will scoop the 470 if prices don't change.

LordAlu

My PC was making a weird fan noise lately, so yesterday I opened it up and noticed that two of the blades of my ROG Matrix 980 graphics fan broke and lodged on the inner side of it. Should I be optimistic of Asus fixing it? It's on the second year of warranty and they give three on this model.
They should be able to fix it. Even if they can't, if it's under warranty they should offer something like an equivalent alternative.

Reckoner

They should be able to fix it. Even if they can't, if it's under warranty they should offer something like an equivalent alternative.
Is Asus' costumer service that good? From my search I read lots of complaints about them, that's the reason of my concern.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you get displayport switchers like you can for HDMI? My monitor only has a single DP input (along with HDMI, DVI and VGA) and its a 3440x1440 so HDMI seems limited to 30Hz. When I connect my work macbook air the second screen is a bit horrible with lag when moving my mouse around. I also I just received my dinky little lenovo tiny - about the size of a mac mini. Going to be at least my plex server and need to hook that up too.

So whats the best approach? Can I smartly use whatever limits DVI and HDMI have for non-gaming use or should I get a switch of some kind and stick with the DP input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom