• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Real easy:
Core Overclocking
Skylake comes with far more freedom to tweak than Haswell, but this also means more complexity when you are in pursuit of the absolute best settings possible.

0. Update your UEFI.
1. Manually set your cache ratio and ram to stock. Don't even use XMP profiles. Hell, turn your GPU's overclock off.
2. All Skylake CPUs so far can hit 4.4GHz. Try 4.4GHz at ~1.35v. It should work and be stable. If not, apply 1.4v. Stable? Good.
3. Just go up a multiplier. Increase voltage if you crash during stress testing with our x264 test. Remember, recommended maximum voltage is 1.45v. Never run a stress test and leave without monitoring the temperatures for the first 2 minutes.
4. Eventually you will find the highest overclock you can hit without breaking 1.45v and this overclock will pass x264 test overnight. Another option is to try Prime95 v27.9, but v28.9 is overkill and masochistic. To read more about different stress tests and to access quick download links to them (including out modified x264 test), check the "Stress Testing" spoiler.

For voltage tuning just start with manual so you can see where your CPU falls into place.
Then I'd use Offset (personally) to slot in your load voltage. Simply load your CPU in Windows then add or subtract (that is the offset voltage) from desired.

Are these tips applicable for a 4670k?

Alright. I really appreciate the feedback and the posts to help, guys. Fantastic places to start at. And, LordAlu, you make me believe I might be able to reach up to that 1070 plateau. Good on ya.

I could use more hearty recommnedations on cases. The ones talked about so far look like good candidates, along with some in the OP. I'd love to hear more people being gaga over their case of choice.

LilJoka

Are these tips applicable for a 4670k?

More aligned for Haswell than Skylake.
P95 28.7 is fine for skylake, not haswell.
I wouldn't run such high voltages though, at around 1.35v most will hit their thermal limits.

You'll also want to set the load line calibration appropriately.

Real easy:
Core Overclocking
Skylake comes with far more freedom to tweak than Haswell, but this also means more complexity when you are in pursuit of the absolute best settings possible.

0. Update your UEFI.
1. Manually set your cache ratio and ram to stock. Don't even use XMP profiles. Hell, turn your GPU's overclock off.
2. All Skylake CPUs so far can hit 4.4GHz. Try 4.4GHz at ~1.35v. It should work and be stable. If not, apply 1.4v. Stable? Good.
3. Just go up a multiplier. Increase voltage if you crash during stress testing with our x264 test. Remember, recommended maximum voltage is 1.45v. Never run a stress test and leave without monitoring the temperatures for the first 2 minutes.
4. Eventually you will find the highest overclock you can hit without breaking 1.45v and this overclock will pass x264 test overnight. Another option is to try Prime95 v27.9, but v28.9 is overkill and masochistic. To read more about different stress tests and to access quick download links to them (including out modified x264 test), check the "Stress Testing" spoiler.

For voltage tuning just start with manual so you can see where your CPU falls into place.
Then I'd use Offset (personally) to slot in your load voltage. Simply load your CPU in Windows then add or subtract (that is the offset voltage) from desired.

I'm way back at Sandy Bridge (2500k), but I assume similar advice applies. 4.5 is a number I've seen banded about a lot.

I'll give this a shot in the next few days, cheers.

Upgrading from a 7950, I play at 1080 and dont plan on playing 1440p or any heavy graphic intensive games like a crysis or far cry. I play blizzard games and am looking forward to Mass Effect andromeda. Im looking at a rx 470 for 189 or 480 for 219. Any input? Currently rocking a 2500k that ive overclocked a small amount.

Bloodember

Alright. I really appreciate the feedback and the posts to help, guys. Fantastic places to start at. And, LordAlu, you make me believe I might be able to reach up to that 1070 plateau. Good on ya.

I could use more hearty recommnedations on cases. The ones talked about so far look like good candidates, along with some in the OP. I'd love to hear more people being gaga over their case of choice.
What size of case u looking for?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm running an i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz and am thinking of upgrading. Is the i7 6700k the recommended CPU for gaming? I also need a new mobo and RAM.
I went from 2500K @ 4.5 to 3770K @ 4.5 to 6700K @ 4.4 (Currently, looks like its a PoS)
One of the main reasons was for faster memory and support for M.2 SSDs. It's what I would go to, but if you can wait (I had to sell quickly) The Z270 chipset and 7700K should be out soon-ish and supports the new Intel SSD crazytech Optane
This is from the Asus Skylake guide. It seems like he needs a beginner guide that starts with an explanation of the basic concepts. That might be a really helpful addition to the next OT.
It was meant more to be pushed on the OC thread but that kinda died down tbh. I'm not sure what settings I would tell people to even do since you need to manually adjust VCore, but I still want power savings (scaling voltage/speed) and tight voltages.
Is the Cryorig H7 a significant upgrade over my corsair h60 or would I be better off saving up for an h100i?

I'm looking to overclock my 4770k, but I'm not quite happy with the temperatures I'm getting with the base clock speed.
Keep H60.

I mean, there's a looooot in the OP. Also checkout HardwareCanuck's and their video and website reviews on cases. Very good stuff.
Most are totally fine to build in, maybe a snag per model. Pick what you like and dont worry about too much else.
I'm way back at Sandy Bridge (2500k), but I assume similar advice applies. 4.5 is a number I've seen banded about a lot.

I'll give this a shot in the next few days, cheers.
Bit different, you'll be wanting to look at a Sandy Bridge OC guide
Which SSD should I buy, are the Samsung 850 pro still good?
If you can fit in an M.2 drive I'd go that route. When the 960 EVO comes out I'm swapping suggested drives. 960 PRO M.2 is going in the next update. >2800MB/s read is pretty neat.

Dubz

So my PC has been acting weird. My screen is doing weird lashes that last only a few miliseconds, and one day none of my USB ports were being recognized. Not sure what to do, or what this may be. After a while the screen sort of settles in and stops the flashing, and my USB ports have been working fine since that weird day about 2 weeks ago.

Help?

dark_chris

Hey GAF can anyone help?
I built a computer and it's all fine. I decided that after over 2 years, I bought a better processor (from i5 to i7). I installed it tonight and now my computer won't boot.
Once I press on, I can hear the computer fans go on for about 3-5 seconds then it goes off. It keeps going doing this in a never ending loop: powers on, fans goes on, then goes off, then powers on. I tested by removing the graphics card (GTX 970) and it keeps doing this still. I'm at a loss at what I should do?

Bloodember

Hey GAF can anyone help?
I built a computer and it's all fine. I decided that after over 2 years, I bought a better processor (from i5 to i7). I installed it tonight and now my computer won't boot.
Once I press on, I can hear the computer fans go on for about 3-5 seconds then it goes off. It keeps going doing this in a never ending loop: powers on, fans goes on, then goes off, then powers on. I tested by removing the graphics card (GTX 970) and it keeps doing this still. I'm at a loss at what I should do?
Check your CPU for bent pins and make sure everything is seated correctly.

Bloodember

So my PC has been acting weird. My screen is doing weird lashes that last only a few miliseconds, and one day none of my USB ports were being recognized. Not sure what to do, or what this may be. After a while the screen sort of settles in and stops the flashing, and my USB ports have been working fine since that weird day about 2 weeks ago.

Help?
Needs specs and more details on what its doing.

Dalmascus

so i'm thinking of getting Audio Technica ATH-AD900X Open-Back Audiophile Headphones and a Antlion Audio ModMic 4.0 Attachable Boom Microphone - Omni-Directional with Mute Switch on black friday/ciber monday, for PC gaming. I have a RoG Maximus VI Hero motherboard, that has a SupremeFX audio chip. I've hear audiophiles talking about some headsets not being loud enough for standard PC audio. do i need a third component? i have the links if needed. sorry if wrong thread.

Bloodember

so i'm thinking of getting Audio Technica ATH-AD900X Open-Back Audiophile Headphones and a Antlion Audio ModMic 4.0 Attachable Boom Microphone - Omni-Directional with Mute Switch on black friday/ciber monday, for PC gaming. I have a RoG Maximus VI Hero motherboard, that has a SupremeFX audio chip. I've hear audiophiles talking about some headsets not being loud enough for standard PC audio. do i need a third component? i have the links if needed. sorry if wrong thread.
Your best bet is to just try it out and see if you need an amp.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
No idea how the amps in soundcards are. I have a Sound Blaster Z and it works well enough and has surprisingly given me no problems. I doubt the amp is very good but it's supposed to support 600ohm headphones.

It was my only option since I wanted digital input.

Ashhong

No idea how the amps in soundcards are. I have a Sound Blaster Z and it works well enough and has surprisingly given me no problems. I doubt the amp is very good but it's supposed to support 600ohm headphones.

It was my only option since I wanted digital input.

I can't speak from a professional experience, but there's a noticeable difference with it using my audio technica m50 and it sounds great. Better than when I use my small Fiio amp

TheJerit

Upgrading from a 7950, I play at 1080 and dont plan on playing 1440p or any heavy graphic intensive games like a crysis or far cry. I play blizzard games and am looking forward to Mass Effect andromeda. Im looking at a rx 470 for 189 or 480 for 219. Any input? Currently rocking a 2500k that ive overclocked a small amount.

If available and coming in at a decent amount, I'd highly recommend the nitro + 470 8gb version. Built my buddy a new gaming rig recently and I'm highly impressed with that card. Only 470 card I can recall that has the same memory bandwidth as the 480, stays cool, etc. I was able to snatch one up a month or so ago for ~$200 on Jet.com. For us at the time, it came out to be much cheaper than what we could find for available 480s. You'll be more than set for awhile if that's you're typical game lineup and be able to play at high/max settings at 1080. Damn good card....

Feran

Hey gaf, looking to get a new pc and could use some help. I haven't owned one in 10 years so I'm pretty out of the loop regarding parts. Thanks!

Budget: $1000 with some wiggle room / USA
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming (5), Gaming (4), 3D Modeling (mainly Zbrush and Modo - 3), General Usage (5)
Monitor Resolution: Currently have a 1080, not upgrading for a few years
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: League of Legends, Final Fantasy XIV, Photoshop, Zbrush, Modo. Ideally 60fps
Looking to reuse any parts?: None to reuse
When will you build?: No deadline but hopefully within the next few months
Will you be overclocking?: No

Mozendo

Hey gaf, looking to get a new pc and could use some help. I haven't owned one in 10 years so I'm pretty out of the loop regarding parts. Thanks!

Budget: $1000 with some wiggle room / USA
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming (5), Gaming (4), 3D Modeling (mainly Zbrush and Modo - 3), General Usage (5)
Monitor Resolution: Currently have a 1080, not upgrading for a few years
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: League of Legends, Final Fantasy XIV, Photoshop, Zbrush, Modo. Ideally 60fps
Looking to reuse any parts?: None to reuse
When will you build?: No deadline but hopefully within the next few months
Will you be overclocking?: No

How about this?
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($191.91 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($234.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Deepcool DUKASE V2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $945.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-10 00:46 EST-0500

Feran

How about this?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($191.91 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($234.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Deepcool DUKASE V2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $945.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-10 00:46 EST-0500

This is looking pretty good! Is there an i7 core option that you'd recommend? I don't mind going a couple hundred over $1000.

luffeN

No problem. The i3-6100 gets you to 500. But two cores is going to limit you in the future. It will definitely last longer with the i5 so I'd spend the extra 90.

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€119.84 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (€99.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€49.43 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€77.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.84 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case (€43.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€49.70 @ Mindfactory)
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-80 19.5 CFM 80mm Fan (€6.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-80 19.5 CFM 80mm Fan (€6.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €505.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 16:14 CET+0100

Edit:

Go with the one 8gb stick, then if you need more RAM in the future just drop in another 8gb.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€207.81 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (€99.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€49.43 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€77.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.84 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€49.70 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €593.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 16:13 CET+0100

Then add a GPU and you have a decent 1080p gaming rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€207.81 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€91.82 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card (€267.37 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €903.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 16:17 CET+0100

Thank you again for the list! I forgot to write that I already own a gaming pc with an i5-6600k and a 1080. What I wanna do now is take the gaming pc home with me (is currently my work/gaming pc) and build a work pc with a video card capable of running windows/programs/office at 2560x1440 @ 120 hz. Will a 1050 ti be enough for this?

EDIT:
Tweaked build

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€208.88 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (€79.19 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: A-Data XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€83.05 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€68.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card (€267.37 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case (€81.41 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €890.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 21:40 CET+0100

Just saw this one, thank you. What about an i3-6100 and a GTX 1050 Ti? Enough for working with text programs such as memoQ?

EDIT2: http://localisationdemo.kilgray.com/products/memoq-server/system-requirements Not sure how up to date the requierements are though. My older work laptop has an i3 from about 3 years ago inside (Lenovo B590) and everything was working perfectly.

ruttyboy

Quoting for new page, any help appreciated!

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new monitor to replace my 12(?) year old 1680*1050 Dell, but don't really know where to start, hoping I can get some recommendations.

My PC is a Skylake i7/GTX 960 OC 4GB, so I think 4K is a bit optimistic, but would 1440p be too much performance wise? If so, 1080p is fine.

Ideally I'd like something 25" or more, but probably couldn't justify spending more than £250 (UK based) unless it was a real bargain.

Want it to be beautiful and not too fussed about response rate (although obviously the lower the better as it is for gaming), so I'm kind of in the middle on the image quality versus response preference.

I looked at the picks on the first page, but they seem pretty old, anything else anyone would recommend? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jezbollah

Quoting for new page, any help appreciated!

I think you may struggle a little if you were to go 1440p, so unless you were willing to upgrade your GPU I think your best path would be a nice 24" 1080p 144hz monitor.

The Acer Predator XB240HA is a potential option for £250 and it also has G-Sync...

Jezbollah

Thanks Dan, never actually seen a high refresh monitor in action, subjective question obviously, but is it worth it do you think?

So my old monitor was quite low refresh (60hz), and it didnt have g-sync - I went to my Asus ROG that has both, and it looks fantastic. So smooth. :)

zbarron

Since this is basically also general PC question thread:

Does anyone know the best software to test frametimes? Ideally in real time instead of having to benchmark it and graph after the fact. I've been out of the loop a little while but just got a GTX 1060 3GB and wanted to test it. Thanks.

JCH!

Guys, I am looking to upgrade my setup to liquid cooling.

I am currently running a Cooler Master 212 EVO, any suggestions on a closed loop (can't be arsed with custom loops/too scared I will drown my rig to try it) cooler that would be a significant improvement and not break the bank?

My case is a Phanteks EvolV ATX, if that's of any help.

enewtabie

Guys, I am looking to upgrade my setup to liquid cooling.

I am currently running a Cooler Master 212 EVO, any suggestions on a closed loop (can't be arsed with custom loops/too scared I will drown my rig to try it) cooler that would be a significant improvement and not break the bank?

My case is a Phanteks EvolV ATX, if that's of any help.

Corsair H100iv2
NZXT Kraken X61 I think that's the new one
Those are the ones I'm familiar.

Since this is basically also general PC question thread:

Does anyone know the best software to test frametimes? Ideally in real time instead of having to benchmark it and graph after the fact. I've been out of the loop a little while but just got a GTX 1060 3GB and wanted to test it. Thanks.

RTSS.

kennah

I'll be doing this today but seems that my bios is out of date (it's at version F1, firmware will put it up to F3). Hope this works!
Yeh. The 4790k was a later generation chip that came out with the 97 series of chipsets. Your 87 series would definitely need a bios update to work. That will fix your problem.

shanafan

Do retailers sell a 19" 144hz and 1440p monitor? For my setup, 19" is the largest I wish to use. If not, how small do they come?

If I had to decide between 1440p or 144hz, which is the best route? I have a GeForce GTX 1070.

DrBretto

Banned
Hi PC experts. This seems like the place to ask these questions:

I built a rig about a year ago, but I didn't pick the parts, I asked some knowledgeable people at the time what to get and am overall happy with it. But, I think I may have undershot on the processor. I don't know what I have for a processor at the moment, but mainly I'm looking for a little 101 on how to know what processor would be an upgrade and how to know if it's going to be compatible. I want to say it's an i5 quad core 3.5 ghz but that's about all I know.

But also, I want to know it'll make a difference. I run the Oculus app and it's saying that my video card (r9 390) is fine, but my processor is low. The Vive app says I'm good to go all-around. If that helps.

Primarily, this is a thousand dollar Minecraft machine. I run mods, 128x textures and SEUS shaders and I'd like a more stable frame rate. Will a new processor help me? And can I get a decent upgrade for a reasonable amount of money?

Side question, my video card seems to shut off like it's overheating (which it also does) from the tiniest vibration. Is ther a fix for that or is my card cooked? I've tried reseating it a bunch of times and that's about the end of my expertise on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom