• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Looking to buy a GTX 1070 this christmas. What are the major diffrances between all the different EVGA 1070 editions, like the FTW, Black, and Founders editions.

Also what is the best deal currently that is around $400?

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-08G-P4-6173-KR/dp/B01KVZBNY0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1478882706&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx%2B1070&refinements=p_72%3A1248879011&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-08G-P4-6173-KR/dp/B01GX5YWAO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1478882706&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx%2B1070&refinements=p_72%3A1248879011&th=1

All Ive heard about the different editions is that the Founders are overclocked from the factory and not meant to be adjusted. I dont plan on OCing but id rather not have a card that is already from the factory as ive had to underclock cards recently just to get them to run games without crashes.

Ganondolf

do you think NVidia will realise a GTX 1060TI early next year or at all?

not sure to pick one up this year (maybe a black Friday deal) or wait. I wont have all my parts till January to do the build but was wondering if its worth waiting or jumping on a deal now.

Jordan

Looking to build a new PC - No parts to re-use except HDD:
Your Current Specs: i5 4670K & GTX 770
Budget: Around £1500 max UK
Main Use: Gaming - Movies - Virtualisation
Monitor Resolution: 1080p 114hz
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Not particularly fussed, I'd like to play newer games at a decent FPS
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope - most are faulty :(
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Within the next month
Will you be overclocking?: I haven't done so before so will be my first build that I do OC on.

Current build I've put together so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£218.28 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Silent Loop 240 65.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£107.68 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£129.25 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£179.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card (£416.28 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£86.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1228.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-11 17:02 GMT+0000

Add to that the WD Blue 250GB M.2 2280 SSD. Any changes you guys recommend?

Cool. I wanna go with the Fractal Design Define Mini C. Should I buy for example a Cryorig M9i for the i5 for better longevity? And are the pre-installed tower fans enough or do I need more/a different placement?

You should absolutely get a good aftermarket cooler, even if you're not planning to overclock. Your temperatures will be better and your pc will be a lot quieter.

The only circumstance to not get one is if one's budget is extremely constrained.

Ganondolf

got a question about case fans.

I am getting a node 202 case and a blower fan gpu, my question is:

1. would you add 1,2 or no case fans?
2. if yes which slot would you put it in?
3. would you make it exhaust or intake?

NOTE: GPU fan will be facing down towards fan if installed in bottom slot.

Pics:

node-202_zpsk7ffoqbx.jpg

ASUS-GeForce-GTX-1060-Turbo_zpsdbagictg.jpg

OraleeWey

Pics:

node-202_zpsk7ffoqbx.jpg

Make them intake, install as many fans as you can.

Veelk

Banned
So I finally decided to upgrade after almost a decade of having my computer. However, I need some help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150360
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131386
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145220

This is what I currently have.

I am thinking of upgrading to the GTX 1070, because I want a graphics card that will last. But tell me, well I need to change anything else to get it to run? Because I'm running on some pretty old hardware in every respect. Will I need to upgrade my motherboard as well? What about my ram? My processor?

Should I also get a new case and power supply or are these the least important parts?

Edit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HHCA1IO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, can someone explain to me the diffference between these different versions of the graphics card? Why is the "Extreme Gaming" version $100 more than the Windforce?

enewtabie

Pics:

node-202_zpsk7ffoqbx.jpg

Your going to have one spot open on the left bottom for a fan after that card. I would do intake.
Ive seen a single fan liquid cpu cooler installed in that location. Get the Cryoig C7 fan for that case if you want to cool the cpu. It's low profile and made for that case

Ganondolf

Your going to have one spot open on the left bottom for a fan after that card. I would do intake.
Ive seen a single fan liquid cpu cooler installed in that location. Get the Cryoig C7 fan for that case if you want to cool the cpu. It's low profile and made for that case

thanks, I have seen 2 videos with liquid cpu cooler, 1 cut the case and one dismantled the cooler to make it fit. I have already bought a Noctua NH-L9i cooler for the cpu. I hear the noctua and the cryoig are both good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Not particularly fussed, I'd like to play newer games at a decent FPS
Will you be overclocking?: I haven't done so before so will be my first build that I do OC on.

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Silent Loop 240 65.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£107.68 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£179.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card (£416.28 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£86.99 @ Ebuyer)

6700k rather than the 6600k for £100 more would be useful for virtualisation (and gaming)

enewtabie

thanks, I have seen 2 videos with liquid cpu cooler, 1 cut the case and one dismantled the cooler to make it fit. I have already bought a Noctua NH-L9i cooler for the cpu. I hear the noctua and the cryoig are both good.
Cool. Check out the youtube channel Bitwit. He did his LAN computer in that case with a cooler. I want to say it's a cooler master,but I don't believe he cut anything. I almost went with that case over the 500,but I wanted a little more space. I might still do something in one next year. It's an overall great looking case.

Ganondolf

Cool. Check out the youtube channel Bitwit. He did his LAN computer in that case with a cooler. I want to say it's a cooler master,but I don't believe he cut anything. I almost went with that case over the 500,but I wanted a little more space. I might still do something in one next year. It's an overall great looking case.

I'm subscribed to Bitwit, he dismantled the end so that the tube would fit through the small cable hole and then re-attached it which is scary for someone like me that's building their first pc. the cpu (I5 6500/6600) I'm going to use should not need a liquid cooler so the air cooler I have and the one you mentioned would be more than enough as I'm not overclocking.

The case is ideal as it will fit in my living room entertainment unit (and looks nice).

enewtabie

I'm subscribed to Bitwit, he dismantled the end so that the tube would fit through the small cable hole and then re-attached it which is scary for someone like me that's building their first pc. the cpu (I5 6500/6600) I'm going to use should not need a liquid cooler so the air cooler I have and the one you mentioned would be more than enough as I'm not overclocking.

The case is ideal as it will fit in my living room entertainment unit (and looks nice).

Good deal. I need to rewatch it. I totally missed that part. Building your first PC is so much fun. I just did my first one in Sept after watching a ton of youtube videos. Working on my second living room now. I think the worst thing was pushing the handle down to press the CPU cover down. Feels like it's going to break,but doesn't. Once you build it,take some pics and put on pcpartpicker. Love looking at everyones ideas.

Bloodember

Other than that, all good?

Yes, everything looks good. If your not going to SLI you might want to consider going with a mATX or mITX build. There is no reason anymore to go ATX unless the board has features you want that others don't have.

Are your 4670k/mobo/ram faulty? If not, I would keep with the 4670k and overclock it. Or if you're going to upgrade, maybe consider an i7 (not sure how much it is in the UK, maybe shed some cost on the cooler--100 pounds seems excessive for what is going to be no doubt only a moderate overclock).

Jordan

Yes, everything looks good. If your not going to SLI you might want to consider going with a mATX or mITX build. There is no reason anymore to go ATX unless the board has features you want that others don't have.

I was looking for a decent mATX board and case but wasn't sure on board and wasn't a fan of some cases. Any recommendations other than whats in the OP?

Edit: Been looking at ITX cases, have found one I like but may need to find shorter card.

Are your 4670k/mobo/ram faulty? If not, I would keep with the 4670k and overclock it. Or if you're going to upgrade, maybe consider an i7 (not sure how much it is in the UK, maybe shed some cost on the cooler--100 pounds seems excessive for what is going to be no doubt only a moderate overclock).

The mobo/ram/gpu are faulty. I was going to sell the 4670K. I'm open to the idea of an i7. I wanted an AIO cooler, I'm open to going down to the 140mm AIO.

So an ITX build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Silent Loop 120mm
Motherboard: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming (ITX)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+
Storage: WD Blue 250GB M.2 2280
Storage: Leftover SSD/HDD from old PC

Ashhong

Thanks for the info. I will be on the lookout for a better priced 480 over the holiday. But will scoop the 470 if prices don't change.

If you live in America and have American Express the Sapphire nitro R9 Fury is a great card for about 250 after promos. I was disappointed with the 480s performance compared to the R9

Instro

Is it typical to see some good deals during the BF/Holiday period? I've never really paid attention nor bought PC hardware during this time of year so I have no idea. Thinking about replacing my 7970.

luffeN

The Cryorig will do just fine, but if your getting a non k model they come with a cooler that will work unless you want better temps.

You should absolutely get a good aftermarket cooler, even if you're not planning to overclock. Your temperatures will be better and your pc will be a lot quieter.

The only circumstance to not get one is if one's budget is extremely constrained.

Much appreciated, thank you!

Mozendo

Is Asus' costumer service that good? From my search I read lots of complaints about them, that's the reason of my concern.

Fucking terrible.
My two experiences
My mSD card got stuck in my Zenfone 2, I contacted customer support if there was a way to get it out he told me that there was supposed to be a spring and regardless of it not being my fault I would have to pay about $150 to get it fixed. The phone costs $200. Turns out the customer service representative had no idea of what they are talking about since the Zenfone 2 does not come with springs in the mSD slot.

Then I decided to get an Asus Maximus 7 Hero, their fancy Z97 MoBo, it didn't come with a IO shield contacted their customer support if they can send one my way and they told me "buy one from our online store" and I then I said "No, this was supposed to come in with the product I'm not going to pay for an item that's not even listed on your store when I already paid $200". Tried again several times same result. At that point I would have caved if it was listed on their store but it wasn't.

Their CS is completely useless.

Bloodember

I was looking for a decent mATX board and case but wasn't sure on board and wasn't a fan of some cases. Any recommendations other than whats in the OP?

Edit: Been looking at ITX cases, have found one I like but may need to find shorter card.

The mobo/ram/gpu are faulty. I was going to sell the 4670K. I'm open to the idea of an i7. I wanted an AIO cooler, I'm open to going down to the 140mm AIO.

So an ITX build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Silent Loop 120mm
Motherboard: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming (ITX)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+
Storage: WD Blue 250GB M.2 2280
Storage: Leftover SSD/HDD from old PC
Check out NZXT and Phanteks. They both make some great cases. Plus they're customer support is great if you ever have to use it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I've got a pretty standard rig. I5 6600 (not K), gtx 970, 16gb ddr4 RAM. I'm playing on an ancient 52" 720p Samsung. It's not great.

For a better overall experience would a GPU upgrade or a display upgrade suit me better? It seems sort of absurd to upgrade my PC into some powerhouse and run it on a shit display.

desmax

So I've got a pretty standard rig. I5 6600 (not K), gtx 970, 16gb ddr4 RAM. I'm playing on an ancient 52" 720p Samsung. It's not great.

For a better overall experience would a GPU upgrade or a display upgrade suit me better? It seems sort of absurd to upgrade my PC into some powerhouse and run it on a shit display.

Definitely a new display.
Nothing's wrong with your pc

Mozendo

What's your budget for the display?

TheFury

Dropped the scratch SSD to 120gb, stick with the M.2 for sure, I love mine. Mobo and RAM upgrade to take advantage of OCing, different cooler.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($317.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($45.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($169.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($125.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Samsung 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($68.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($125.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.00 @ IJK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($199.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($72.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1324.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-12 00:24 AEDT+1100

Thanks for the suggestions! I thought the scratch might be a little excessive so I'll go ahead with those changes.

Next step is to look out for any sales over the next month or so.

Ludono

Alright, I'm still toying with how to approach my upgrade situation.

I currently have;

Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor
Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3
Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified 750TX
Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
Corsair CC-9011085-WW Carbide Series SPEC-ALPHA Windowed Mid-Tower ATX
Samsung 830 120GB SSD

What I wanted to change;

Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor
Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3
Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 -> 16GB 3200mHz DDR4
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB -> EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
Samsung 830 120GB SSD -> Samsung 850 250GB

I'm sure you can immediately see the problem in that the RAM wouldn't be compatible with the MOBO. Additionally, the CPU is actually showing its age much more than I thought, and I believe would also warrant an upgrade, which would also require a new MOBO.

So essentially I would be carrying on...
Corsair H60 CPU Cooler

Leaving me wanting to upgrade
CPU
RAM
MOBO
GPU
SSD

I really have my eyes set on the 1070 FTW, but would it be possible to get that and upgrade all the remaining pieces for under 1000 euros? (Germany here) I could also order this stuff on US Amazon but would have to pay an additional import fee (around 80 dollars I believe)

The 1070 is $440 new on US Amazon and $500 new on DE Amazon :(

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I'm trying to cobble together the best bang for my buck, which is proving quite difficult as a Uni student in Europe :p

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I'm thinking, with my display situation, of going with an Acer XB280HK. It's smaller than what I have now, but I think 28" is pretty good. It can display up to 2160 @ 60hz and has Gsync. all for less than $550 USD.

Anyone have one of these and care to share their experience?

So I'm thinking, with my display situation, of going with an Acer XB280HK. It's smaller than what I have now, but I think 28" is pretty good. It can display up to 2160 @ 60hz and has Gsync. all for less than $550 USD.

Anyone have one of these and care to share their experience?

I'm not having good experience with 4K monitors so far, your desktop viewing experience will be a huge hit or miss because Windows doesn't simply play very well with high resolutions, especially older applications. Plus Gsync is really better together with high fresh rate monitors, at 60Hz it is not very compelling.

Molemitts

Alright I'm planning on building a gaming PC, but I've never owned one before so I'm not very knowledgable on what brands are the best or what all those numbers and letters are even meant to mean.

I live in UK and my budget is around £900

So I got my friend to help me out and he suggested this.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£183.05 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£29.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£87.60 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£39.98 @ Novatech)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£60.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£64.76 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Xtreme Gaming Video Card (£272.88 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case (£32.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA 600W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£42.98 @ Novatech)
Monitor: AOC E2476VWM6 23.6" 60Hz Monitor (£118.10 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £933.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-12 14:18 GMT+0000

Any feedback to this? How well will the video card to me? any suggested changes? I'm thinking I might pay a bit more for a higher frame-rate monitor. Other than that I'm not sure. He seemed a little unsure about the motherboard, so what will that get me, I don't think that has wifi on it, so that might be an issue, but I'm not sure.

Quick question, what would the process be like adding a 1440p monitor to my current set up? Right now I have a 144 hz 1080p monitor that I would still like to use for multiplayer games. Is there any easy way to set up a dual monitor set up so I can switch between which one is the main, without the second monitor affecting performance?

Right now I have a 144 hz 1080p monitor that I love. My 1070 averages over 100 fps for pretty much anything I throw at it.

However, I was thinking of adding a 1440p monitor to get better graphics for single player stuff, even if it means only being able to run those games at the 60 fps range (based off benchmarks I've seen).
I wanted to go 4K but it just doesn't seem like it's possible on the 1070 without dropping the fps into the low 30's.

Anyway as stated above, what's the best what to have both without hurting the performance?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Alright I'm planning on building a gaming PC, but I've never owned one before so I'm not very knowledgable on what brands are the best or what all those numbers and letters are even meant to mean.

I live in UK and my budget is around £900

So I got my friend to help me out and he suggested this.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£183.05 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£29.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£87.60 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£39.98 @ Novatech)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£60.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£64.76 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Xtreme Gaming Video Card (£272.88 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case (£32.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA 600W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£42.98 @ Novatech)
Monitor: AOC E2476VWM6 23.6" 60Hz Monitor (£118.10 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £933.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-12 14:18 GMT+0000

Any feedback to this? How well will the video card to me? any suggested changes? I'm thinking I might pay a bit more for a higher frame-rate monitor. Other than that I'm not sure. He seemed a little unsure about the motherboard, so what will that get me, I don't think that has wifi on it, so that might be an issue, but I'm not sure.

As someone mentioned earlier, consider a smaller motherboard - ATX isn't really needed these days.

If you're sticking with the 6500 you can't over Lockerbie so you won't really need the hyper 212. Personally though I'd keep the hyper 212 and upgrade to the 6600k if you can stretch to it.

Do you need to buy a monitor - no option to connect up to your TV? Would save some money to be used elsewhere on the system.

The CPU you've picked isn't a 'K' one which can't be overclocked (when used with a 'Z170' board). If you'te sticking with the CPU I'd probably ditch the board and get a H110 variant instead (around £20 cheaper) as I believe the chipsets are the same sans OC ability.

You've also only got 1 stick of RAM in that build. Really you want two sticks so you're running in daul-channel mode and feeding more bandwidth to the CPU.

Tanston

Built my machine thanks for all the help and suggestions it seems to be running just fine but it's pretty early to count any chickens.

Not really sure what I should be doing now as far as benchmarks, monitoring and overclocking go. Is there a recommended program that can monitor temps that I can view while in a game? I have the msi command center program and that shows my CPU temps but doesn't really overlay to see while gaming. Maybe that's good enough I dunno.

My idle temps go from 25c to 30c which according to google is about normal for the i5 6600k. Not really sure what my load temps are as I haven't had much chance to game yet. Haven't tried overclocking yet but assuming the machine seems stable for the next few days i'll probably start slowly bumping it up. Using the cryorig h7 for cooling not sure what exactly what kind of OC I can get. 4.5 would be amazing but i'd be very happy with 4.3. Not really sure what to expect.

Tsosie

I am not sure that this is the correct thread for this, but I have a question for PCGAF.
My work got me a new PC, and I am wondering if it is powerful enough to run modern AAA games. I have never really been a PC gamer outside of Blizzard games (which I know do not require a beefy computer) so I am not too versed on the subject.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 - 870@2.93Ghz (8 CPUs) ~3.1GHz
RAM: 8192 MB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series - 4848MB

If you need any other information, let me know. Thanks ahead of time.

I am not sure that this is the correct thread for this, but I have a question for PCGAF.
My work got me a new PC, and I am wondering if it is powerful enough to run modern AAA games. I have never really been a PC gamer outside of Blizzard games (which I know do not require a beefy computer) so I am not too versed on the subject.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 - 870@2.93Ghz (8 CPUs) ~3.1GHz
RAM: 8192 MB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series - 4848MB

If you need any other information, let me know. Thanks ahead of time.

Very old build, the graphics has a weird ram number so I assume that is from Windows hardware info which adds virtual VRAM to the mix, probably some 7790/7850 card, it can run modern games but don't expect very good results, 1080p medium settings at 30fps should be somewhat OK. Download HWInfo and see the exact build helps.

Tsosie

Very old build, the graphics has a weird ram number so I assume that is from Windows hardware info which adds virtual VRAM to the mix, probably some 7790/7850 card, it can run modern games but don't expect very good results, 1080p medium settings at 30fps should be somewhat OK. Download HWInfo and see the exact build helps.

Thank you. Since it is a work PC, it is unlikely that I would game all that much on it anyway. I will stick with my Steam indie titles during my lunch break.

So I'm in the market for a new CPU/motherboard, but I'm a little nervous as I've never done that upgrade before.

Will I need to buy a new copy of Windows 10 to install? I had 8.1 and then did the free upgrade to 10.

What else "carries" over? Everything on my SSD will be fine, correct? Are there any other things I should be aware of when upgrading the CPU and motherboard?

Sorry for the noobish question. I've been putting off this upgrade for a while because it feels incredibly daunting to me. Built this first PC nearly 6 years ago and I'm afraid of going back inside and fucking things up, lol. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom