• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good to know if I ever switch to water cooling!

I see! That's my main concern with that chassis resolved. The only other thing was given that the 3.5 inch drives are mounted vertically behind that metal wall, how much dust gets pulled through via the vent holes for that area? Or is it protected by the front intake filter?
No it's not protected by the dust filter but it has not active airflow so it doesn't get dusty all that much.

No it's not protected by the dust filter but it has not active airflow so it doesn't get dusty all that much.

Awesome. Last one: the windowless version side panel: it still has sound dampening material on the inside right?

If so then the only thing going for the R5 then is the option to install an optical drive. I do have an LG optical drive, which is nice to have for any really old software, but I've got a external DVD drive I can plug in via USB for any legacy software.

sikkinixx

Is Zotac an okay brand? I'd like to get a new video card and might have a whack of BestBuy gift cards I could throw at it (here in Canada) and they have a Zotac 1060 3GB card for $259.

I have a 2500k and a 460 so... yeahhhhhhh all really old in the tooth. I know the CPU needs an upgrade too as it doesn't meet min spec in a lot of games anymore.

Ludono

Is Zotac an okay brand? I'd like to get a new video card and might have a whack of BestBuy gift cards I could throw at it (here in Canada) and they have a Zotac 1060 3GB card for $259.

I have a 2500k and a 460 so... yeahhhhhhh all really old in the tooth. I know the CPU needs an upgrade too as it doesn't meet min spec in a lot of games anymore.

I'd like to know this too as all the cheap GPU's are this brand....

Is there any reason why I might have stuttering in some games (like Fallout 4) when running in full screen, but a perfectly smooth performance when using a borderless windowed approach?

It's not a matter of processing power (I'm using a GTX 1080 and running in 1080p). I think it may have something to do with playing on a regular TV (in this case, a Panasonic plasma from a few years ago).

Naturally, it doesn't emerge at all in some games (e.g., Gears 4 and the new Doom run beautifully in full screen).

microdot

Can anyone recommend me a monitor? My budget is around $400. I'll be using a gtx 1080 so I guess 1440p 144hz?

Dell has the S2716DG for $474.99 plus cash back. Is this the best deal I'm going to get?

I assume that's a gtx 460, not a radeon 460. Your CPU is actually still pretty good, just overclock it if you haven't already.

Zotac is OK. It wouldn't be my first choice. How much is a 4GB radeon 460?

The Chef

Any recommendations on wireless network cards?
Im just now realizing the place I am moving into doesn't have any network ports in the room. My modem and router will be in the living room a little ways away.

Using a Gigabyte Z97-UD3H motherboard and a G2358 I can't seem to get any sort of stable overclock whatsoever to speak of.

System crashes and I have to unplug and reseat my ram every time I try. I'm NOT enabling XMP or touching the ram at all so I don't understand WTF is going on. But if I don't reseat the RAM nothing shows up on the screen and the fans all spin really slowly.

Also, I have UPLAY keys for Far Cry Blood Dragon and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for whoever can stick it out with me to help figure this out.

Using a Gigabyte Z97-UD3H motherboard and a G2358 I can't seem to get any sort of stable overclock whatsoever to speak of.

System crashes and I have to unplug and reseat my ram every time I try. I'm NOT enabling XMP or touching the ram at all so I don't understand WTF is going on. But if I don't reseat the RAM nothing shows up on the screen and the fans all spin really slowly.

Also, I have UPLAY keys for Far Cry Blood Dragon and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for whoever can stick it out with me to help figure this out.

What ram and what speed are you running it at? What overclock are you trying (including vcore, multiplier)?

Any recommendations on wireless network cards?
Im just now realizing the place I am moving into doesn't have any network ports in the room. My modem and router will be in the living room a little ways away.

If your home's power network is reliable I suggest you use Powerline adapters.

kuYuri

Can anyone recommend me a monitor? My budget is around $400. I'll be using a gtx 1080 so I guess 1440p 144hz?

Dell has the S2716DG for $474.99 plus cash back. Is this the best deal I'm going to get?

I would absolutely jump on it. That's a great price.

Mozendo

Alright, I'm about ready to start ordering. I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going for now.

You can't overclock with that motherboard
The 480 is the graphics card to get when talking about the price and performance
Get a modular PSU, especially in an mATX case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£188.49 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£94.99 @ Kustom PCs)
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£67.99 @ Novatech)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£91.98 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£60.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ Video Card (£244.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£43.79 @ BT Shop)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 9 500W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£66.86 @ More Computers)
Total: £860.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-18 21:36 GMT+0000

Bump for new page
Go with whatever you find nice looking, they pretty much have all the same features.

What ram and what speed are you running it at? What overclock are you trying (including vcore, multiplier)?

I'm using a very adequate air cooler so I decided to start at a high VCORE (1.35V) and the OC that most people seem to have no trouble whatsoever acquiring (4.2GHz).

I've left the VCORE the same while scaling back the OC and the results tend to be the same. If I run the garbage Gigabyte auto OC utility it never actually successfully competes the auto OC. It'll just restart the PC over and over and over again and continue "tweaking" until I stop it. I only tried the auto tool to see if it would end up being more successful than my manual OC but no such luck.

Ram is 2400MHz G.Skill Ares but I have kept it at 1.5V and 1600MHz as I don't believe this CPU doesn't support XMP. If I leave the CPU alone these settings work fine and the PC is perfectly functional.

I'm using a very adequate air cooler so I decided to start at a high VCORE (1.35V) and the OC that most people seem to have no trouble whatsoever acquiring (4.2GHz).

I've left the VCORE the same while scaling back the OC and the results tend to be the same. If I run the garbage Gigabyte auto OC utility it never actually successfully competes the auto OC. It'll just restart the PC over and over and over again and continue "tweaking" until I stop it. I only tried the auto tool to see if it would end up being more successful than my manual OC but no such luck.

Ram is 2400MHz G.Skill Ares but I have kept it at 1.5V and 1600MHz as I don't believe this CPU doesn't support XMP. If I leave the CPU alone these settings work fine and the PC is perfectly functional.

Can you link me to your specific ram? I think that kit needs 1.65V?

Auto OC is a crapshoot and not recommended anyway.

Trickster

Hello guys, been looking to get a new graphics card, and at this point have pretty much decided on a gtx 1080.

No idea which version to get though.

Wondering if there is any consensus on what manufacturers currently produce the "best" gtx 1080 card?

I got my Duel Fan MSI GTX 1060, I had to remove it from the motherboard and with that happening the latch came off but was able to snap it back in. The reason why I had to remove the GPU in the first place is because the cover behind the case for the GPU ports can only be snap off instead of screwing them in and I lost the screws that came with the case to fasten the GPU.

I put everything back together excluding the GPU and now my Computer won't start up. I tried removing the CMOS battery 3 times for 10 minutes each and only the fans turn on but quickly shuts off. I even put back the GPU in and even that turn on before shutting off.

The computer was working fine before this and my PSU has more than enough power for the GPU.

Mozendo

Wondering if there is any consensus on what manufacturers currently produce the "best" gtx 1080 card?

I don't really know much about 1080 models, but for people to help you out best in what category?
Do you want a silent card, one that overclocks good compared to the rest,etc?

Trickster

I don't really know much about 1080 models, but for people to help you out best in what category?
Do you want a silent card, one that overclocks good compared to the rest,etc?

In terms of priorities it'd probably be

1 - Temperature
2 - Noise level
3 - out of box performance
4 - OC potential

First, leave RAM at stock speed. For DDR3 that's 1333. What motherboard are you using?

So I'm just a little confused about the Windows 10 OEM version. I know if I change the motherboard I will have to buy another license, but my question is, If I decide to change my GPU, CPU, or add more RAM, will it think it's too much of a change and I will have to buy a new license or I'll be good til I replace the motherboard?

Mozendo

In terms of priorities it'd probably be

1 - Temperature
2 - Noise level
3 - out of box performance
4 - OC potential

Skimmed through a few reviews, so if any other poster wants to correct me please do so.
So you have two options, if you want a triple fan cooler the Asus 1080 ROG Strix is the card to get, but if you want want a dual fan look into the MSI 1080 Gaming X

Trickster

Skimmed through a few reviews, so if any other poster wants to correct me please do so.
So you have two options, if you want a triple fan cooler the Asus 1080 ROG Strix is the card to get, but if you want want a dual fan look into the MSI 1080 Gaming X

Thx, was actually looking at some reviews of those just now. Will look into them some more :)

Mystic654

8rU6WWFl.jpg

ufTK3MEl.jpg

sx57Iypl.jpg

SeM9Ycdl.jpg

RYx47CYl.jpg

bmMsqwkl.jpg

j3cfmO8l.jpg

7c4N0I9l.jpg

8Guqxkol.jpg

and What I am able to do while I wait for Case-Labs to send me everything else:

vdtZvbkl.jpg

So I'm just a little confused about the Windows 10 OEM version. I know if I change the motherboard I will have to buy another license, but my question is, If I decide to change my GPU, CPU, or add more RAM, will it think it's too much of a change and I will have to buy a new license or I'll be good til I replace the motherboard?

Even if you change motherboards, you can keep the license. Call the license support number and give the robot the correct responses. Takes five minutes.

Well I've always wanted to build a PC and I've finally got the opportunity Going to Microcenter in Cinci tomorrow. I've made build after build trying to fit it all under $1000 (including monitor). I've managed to get everything I want (just one SSD, a 6GB 1060 and an I5-6500) at around $1016.

After doing all of this though I keep coming back to Powerspec G220. I'm sure the PSU isn't that great, the Mobo is cheap but I was going cheap on it anyways. And in all my builds I was limited to 8GB of ram and only the SSD. So I'm having a hard time not going down there tomorrow and just picking one of these up and that Dell gaming monitor for $100.

Any other reason you all know of I should completely avoid this premade build? I don't understand how in the world they are offering all that so cheap, even after going through numerous times myself going cheap and getting the less specs in the end.

sikkinixx

I assume that's a gtx 460, not a radeon 460. Your CPU is actually still pretty good, just overclock it if you haven't already.

Zotac is OK. It wouldn't be my first choice. How much is a 4GB radeon 460?

Hmm a Radeon 460 is about the same price so I figure the 1060 is probably a better bet. I don't really feel like dropping $300 (cdn) on a card though. Stupid dollar.

Hmm a Radeon 460 is about the same price so I figure the 1060 is probably a better bet. I don't really feel like dropping $300 (cdn) on a card though. Stupid dollar.

Whoops I meant a 480, not 460 of course.

Hm, I would think about it a bit. The extra GB of the 480 might be worth it. I'm not sure I would buy a card with less than 4GB in that price range.

Odrion

Banned
What do we know about Volta? I was wanting to wait for that, but I might go with a 1080ti because I feel a economic recession might be coming.

hi, i dont know if this is the right place to ask but when i open up rocket league and other games on steam, they are zoomed in for some reason

resolution in settings are fine, just the games themselves are just zoomed in and its freaking me out :|

any ideas?

this happened while i was playing rocket league and the game suddenly went into windowed mod

hi, i dont know if this is the right place to ask but when i open up rocket league and other games on steam, they are zoomed in for some reason

resolution in settings are fine, just the games themselves are just zoomed in and its freaking me out :|

any ideas?

this happened while i was playing rocket league and the game suddenly went into windowed mod
Check overscan options on your monitor/TV.

I have a i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4 GHz and 8 gigs of ram.

I want to add a EVGA 1060 SC 6GB, would this be a good fit, or am I bottlenecked?

Also, would it be a good idea to add another 2x4GB of ram? Or should I toss what I have and buy a 2x8GB kit? Thanks!

Ludono

If German PC GAF is looking to buy a Asus 1070 or 1080 this deal might be nice: http://www.mindfactory.de/Highlights/ASUS_Battlefield_1_Weekend/background/true

Mafia 3 + Battlefield 1 + Gears of War 4 codes only this weekend.

Hmm, I had my eyes on the EVGA FTW 1070, and this deal is 50 euros more than that with games I don't particularly care about. Any chance of a better deal popping up anytime soon?

i5 6600K vs i7 6700K

the i7 costs around 100 euros more, is it worth it or should I just stick with the i5?

Trickster

Hey guys, I just finished making a list of the new components I'm thinking about getting (pretty much a new pc tbh).

Cpu - i5-6600k
Cpu fan - Cryorig H7
Motherboard - ASUS Z170-PRO, Socket-1151
Tower - NZXT H440W
Psu - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W
Gpu - Gigabyte GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8GD

Curious if anyone have any comments about any of them? Any red flags or something I might have missed.

Awesome. Last one: the windowless version side panel: it still has sound dampening material on the inside right?

If so then the only thing going for the R5 then is the option to install an optical drive. I do have an LG optical drive, which is nice to have for any really old software, but I've got a external DVD drive I can plug in via USB for any legacy software.
Yes the case has sound dampening material on both side panels on the windowless version.

Also NHU14S looks sexy.

nhu14s49uo0.jpg

Bloodember

I have a i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4 GHz and 8 gigs of ram.

I want to add a EVGA 1060 SC 6GB, would this be a good fit, or am I bottlenecked?

Also, would it be a good idea to add another 2x4GB of ram? Or should I toss what I have and buy a 2x8GB kit? Thanks!
You'll be fine with the gpu, your CPU isn't that old. Another 2x4gb would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom