• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamblades

Got parts for my new build sorted finally.

First time building a custom watercooling loop. Should be fun

i7-6700k with EK supremacy evo waterblock
MSI Z170A MPOWER GAMING TITANIUM motherboard
intel 600p m.2 drive for the OS drive
32 GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4
MSI Sea Hawk EK X GTX 1080
Thermaltake Core X9
Seasonic snow silent PSU with custom extensions.

2x EK extreme 360 mm rads, EK 140mm D5 pump/res, primochill petg tubing and fittings for the watercooling loop.

it is going to be ludicrous. need to find a good 144 hz gsync monitor next that isn't ridiculously overpriced.

Molemitts

Alrighty, so I've ordered all the parts for my PC now. All I need to do now is the monitor, keyboard and mouse. KB&M shouldn't be a huge hassle, I might get something more intended for gaming later, but for now I'll just stick with whatever works.

Monitor I'm a little more stumped on. I'll be sticking to 1080p, 4K is too expensive, but I do have a 4K TV, which I could connect it up to if I really wanted. I'd like to go for something that can go for 144hz, but I don't expect to run many games at that framerate, 60fps will do for more demanding games, and hopefully stuff like Overwatch or Rocket League can go up to 144hz.

Will a HMDI cable be able transmit 144fps at 1080p?

I know there can be some screen-tearing problems with out of sync framerates. If I was able to lock a games framerate to 60 on a 144 monitor would that negate any screen-tearing issues?

Is it worth buying a G-sync monitor? They're pretty expensive. Should I just stick with V-sync, is the imput lag that bad, or does it only really matter for competitive games?

Anybody have experience with the logitech G933 wireless headset? Going to be on sale on black Friday and i been looking at getting a wireless headset. The seem of give off the gamer look though, which i am not a fan of but they are cheaper than other options.

Safe to get Win10 from kinguin?

Was looking at getting windows 10 from Play-Asia for $25. Play-Asia knows as a reputable site, but this seems too cheap.

http://www.play-asia.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-3264-bit-oem/13/709747

Well after all the hardwork and money saving. I would like to show you guys my first build. I like the way it came out, the only cable that really stands out is the PCI cable for my GPU. It's really silent, runs cool, and I'm really excited for this. Now All I have to do is wait til I get a DVI to VGA cable (Really need to replace my monitor -_-) and my Windows 10 to arrive and I'm good to go.

Here are two pics:
1Q8R96N.jpg

OlJIazN.jpg

Thanks again for everything Gaf especially for answering my questions and pointing me to the right direction.

Anybody have experience with the logitech G933 wireless headset? Going to be on sale on black Friday and i been looking at getting a wireless headset. The seem of give off the gamer look though, which i am not a fan of but they are cheaper than other options.

Was looking at getting windows 10 from Play-Asia for $25. Play-Asia knows as a reputable site, but this seems too cheap.

wow thats a really low price. I was planning to get Pro from this site since PCpartpicker suggested it and its a licensed partner. But yeah seeing that play asia price, I'm not so sure now

https://www.mychoicesoftware.com/pr...-license-64-bit?dfw_tracker=14813-22821038279

KiKaL

Went to wake up my computer and nothing happened. That fans were running, keyboard was illuminated but when the screen would never turn on. Power on and off the monitor would just cause the screen to say no signal detected. I tried holding down the power button to turn off the system but it never shut down so I eventually flipped the reset button on my surge protector. The computer then turned on but froze at the POST screen. I tried one more reset and now I get absolutely no response. No fans or anything. The motherboard has a light on so it appears to be getting some power but no response. Did I potentially fry my motherboard or PSU?

edit: going to try hooking up my PSU to another mobo/cpu

edit #2: PSU powered up the other computer which is making me thing the motherboard died : /

For those looking for a graphics card in the UK, might be worth checking Amazon warehouse as they have a spend £200 save £50 offer on selected products at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Warehouse-Deals/

Not all products qualify, but I mananged to pick up a 1060 6gb mini for £167.
So...turns out the 'like new' 1060 Amazon sent me has a broken fan blade :(

If this qualifies as 'like new' I dread to think what condition 'very good' or just plain old 'good' would arrive in.

Alastor3

So, is it a good time to build a computer now if you live in Canada? I remember last year, the dollar price make the price really high...

Looking for a 23-25 inch 1080p monitor to pick up. Unless I spot an amazing deal, 144hz or GSYNC or out of the question due to cost.

Why is it that none of the monitors I find (e.g. this one) have a display port connector? Is it a feature reserved for high end monitors?

microdot

I'm trying to save as much money as possible so someone please tell me the truth. Will I be okay buying Windows 10 pro from play asia and installing it on my first pc?

BadWolf

Yes, play asia is a legit store.

Will go with p-a then, thanks!

Pagusas

Elden Member

My parts are all starting to come in :). Lian Li PC-05SX, 6700k, Asus Maximus Impact VIII ITX board, 2x Noctua 120mm industrial FS fans (for my Corsair 100v2 that's coming in) and a Noctua 140m mindustail fan (back of base intake under the mobo).

Still coming in:
32gb Gskill cas14 3200 ddr4 (16gbx2)
Lian Li 750watt SFX modular psu
Corsair 100v2 AIO water cooling setup

Waiting to order:
Samsung 960evo with u.2 adapter
1080ti (will order soon as they come out, till then I'll use my old 770gtx in the system as a placeholder)

I seriously never realize how tiny ITX boards were. Like crazy small.

LilJoka

My parts are all starting to come in :). Lian Li PC-05SX, 6700k, Asus Maximus Impact VIII ITX board, 2x Noctua 120mm industrial FS fans (for my Corsair 100v2 that's coming in) and a Noctua 140m mindustail fan (back of base intake under the mobo).

Still coming in:
32gb Gskill cas14 3200 ddr4 (16gbx2)
Lian Li 750watt SFX modular psu
Corsair 100v2 AIO water cooling setup

Waiting to order:
Samsung 960evo with u.2 adapter
1080ti (will order soon as they come out, till then I'll use my old 770gtx in the system as a placeholder)

I seriously never realize how tiny ITX boards were. Like crazy small.

Will be an awesome build. ITX is the way forward!

Looking to replace my EVGA 1070 in light of the whole incendiary time bomb situation. I've been kind of regretting not shelling out for a 1080 anyway. Where do people come down on the MSI vs Asus offerings?

Anduril

I posted this a few days ago, but got no replies.

If it's TLDR, a recap: looking to buy a new GPU for my older computer (i5 760 cpu), choosing between an RX 480/470 4 gb or a 1060 3 gb for 1080p gaming. I need it to do Steam streaming well. Any suggestions?

Are Gigabyte MOBO bad? I cheap out on getting a H110m-A for like $30 and every time I touch it causes problems. I only removed a few connectors to make way for the GPU and the latch for the GPU snapped off when taking it out because my Computer isn't turning on. I was able to snap the Latch back into place. Only the fans are turning on but only for a half a second.

Bloodember

Are Gigabyte MOBO bad? I cheap out on getting a H110m-A for like $30 and every time I touch it causes problems. I only removed a few connectors to make way for the GPU and the latch for the GPU snapped off when taking it out because my Computer isn't turning on. I was able to snap the Latch back into place. Only the fans are turning on but only for a half a second.

Gigabyte motherboards are very reliable. But any motherboard that is cheap in price is going to be build cheap as well.

TheChaos0

So I have £190 for a friends graphics card upgrade. Not quite enough for 1060 so the signs are pointing to some sort of RX 470. Am I missing any other potential card? This is for 1080p gaming. He's got a 7770 or something, so pretty much anything would be a massive upgrade.

microdot

Okay so I'm starting to understand the benefits and systems of overclocking but should I be implementing an overclock on my CPU and GPU day 1? Or is this something to think about down the line to prolong the life of my pc?

I'll be running a i7 6700k and a 1080 founders.

rtcn63

Okay so I'm starting to understand the benefits and systems of overclocking but should I be implementing an overclock on my CPU and GPU day 1? Or is this something to think about down the line to prolong the life of my pc?

I'll be running a i7 6700k and a 1080 founders.

If it's stable, leave it on. You might have to adjust during really hot weather (or use an A/C). PC parts are designed to last for ages, even when trucking at full force IIRC.

Deathknell

I7 7700k, z270 motherboard and 1080ti in january-march

or wait for cannonlake i7 and volta in 2017/2018?

Mmm...first world problems.

Mupod

when is the samsung 960 evo ssd actually supposed to come out? I'm seeing reviews for it now but no stock (Canada).

If it's stable, leave it on. You might have to adjust during really hot weather (or use an A/C). PC parts are designed to last for ages, even when trucking at full force IIRC.

I remember back when I thought overclocking decreased part life significantly...meanwhile I'm running a 2500k that's been at 4.5ghz for over 5 years and counting.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I7 7700k, z270 motherboard and 1080ti in january-march

or wait for cannonlake i7 and volta in 2017/2018?

Mmm...first world problems.

Same exact problem i ran into, but i finally caved and jumped on a i7 6700k as they are on sale for $250, the cheapest 7700k at launch will be $470-$400 for probably a 10% at best performance difference.

I was hoping to get a z270 platform, but since I couldn't wait, I grabbed the highest end ITX board I could with a u.2 port and usb C. Should help keep me a little future proof for the next 3 years. Also got that on sale, instead of $240 it was $155.

Finally I decided to actually wait on the GPU until the 1080ti comes out, no way I'll be waiting for Volta, just too far out. I can wait 2 - 3 months and just use my current 770gtx, but not 10-12 months for volta (and probably longer for any high end volta card).

I remember back when I thought overclocking decreased part life significantly...meanwhile I'm running a 2500k that's been at 4.5ghz for over 5 years and counting.

was that ever actually a thing? I had my AMD Tbird hitting 1.4ghz for 3 years strait before I upgraded it for an AMD64, than an AMD x2, than a Core 2 Duo, all of which were overclocked as high as they would go from day 1, none of them ever game me issues.

z3phon

Is it normal that when I turn my PC on with my monitor switched off I get the 3 beep noises and the vga led turns on, on the motherboard but the system runs fine and I don't experience any issues. If I turn my monitor on and than switch the pc on I don't get any beeps nor the vga led lighting up.
I've got the asus z170 deluxe montherboard.

So who's still rocking the i5 2500k here?

Just bought a new PSU after my other one bit the dust, and was thinking of upgrading my CPU, motherboard, and RAM while I was at it.

Decided against it. I think I can get another year or two out of this CPU. It's a beast.

Just bought a new PSU after my other one bit the dust, and was thinking of upgrading my CPU, motherboard, and RAM while I was at it.

Decided against it. I think I can get another year or two out of this CPU. It's a beast.

Upgraded from my 2500k this year. What GPU/monitor are you using?

The 2500k is still pretty good, though it can fall a ways behind if you're pairing it with a strong GPU.

Same exact problem i ran into, but i finally caved and jumped on a i7 6700k as they are on sale for $250, the cheapest 7700k at launch will be $470-$400 for probably a 10% at best performance difference.

I was hoping to get a z270 platform, but since I couldn't wait, I grabbed the highest end ITX board I could with a u.2 port and usb C. Should help keep me a little future proof for the next 3 years. Also got that on sale, instead of $240 it was $155.

Finally I decided to actually wait on the GPU until the 1080ti comes out, no way I'll be waiting for Volta, just too far out. I can wait 2 - 3 months and just use my current 770gtx, but not 10-12 months for volta (and probably longer for any high end volta card).

was that ever actually a thing? I had my AMD Tbird hitting 1.4ghz for 3 years strait before I upgraded it for an AMD64, than an AMD x2, than a Core 2 Duo, all of which were overclocked as high as they would go from day 1, none of them ever game me issues.

If the latest speculations about Zen (high end desktop 8 core cheap on par with 6850K for 300$), Intel may be forced to cut mainstream Kaby Lake prices to more reasonable levels at launch.

Also, AMD's motherboards tend to be cheaper.

rtcn63

My 3570K has been at 4 for about five years. I had it higher, but when summer came Windows would get wonky.

Upgraded from my 2500k this year. What GPU/monitor are you using?

The 2500k is still pretty good, though it can fall a ways behind if you're pairing it with a strong GPU.

I have a 970 that's connected to my TV, outputting at 1080p.

Did you notice a big difference when you upgraded?

I have a 970 that's connected to my TV, outputting at 1080p.

Did you notice a big difference when you upgraded?

With a 970 at 1080p, I'd stick with the (overclocked) 2500k for now.

Hard to say about mine, as I upgraded to a 1070 shortly thereafter. There are lots of articles about it if you're curious. The short of it is if you have enough GPU horsepower then you should consider upgrading your CPU (e.g. 1070 at 1080p, SLI at 1440p). Also varies by the game of course. But something like GTA V at 1080p with a fast GPU gets a huge boost by going from a 2500k to a 6600k or 6700k.

fester

Banned

I'm in the same boat also with a 970 running 1920x1200 resolution. I've been tempted to upgrade this winter, but haven't been totally convinced I'm going to notice much difference.

So, I managed to pick up a 480 8gb after Amazon dropped the previous warehouse promotion and replaced it with 20% off instead.

Worked out at around £185 which is OK.

Only problem is, the more I read about the XFX RX480 RS the more I'm becoming concerned it sounds like a bit of a dud. Does anyone have first hand experience of this card? I've heard it's actually worse than the reference card despite having a custom cooler.

oof

mine seems fine, but I haven't actually looked at it running, i should do that
Yeah, I'd test it as much as you can within the 30 days grace period TBH. Hopefully yours is fine though!

luffeN

Well, that was a little frustrating. Can't build my PC because the Cryorig M9i is missing 4 screw caps, instead I got 8 screws for the back plate :D Gonna try some shops tomorrow.

Mikeybycrikey

Neo Member

One more here, paired with a 390. Technically it's fine for what I play but I still scour the net for news on zen/kabylake daily. Got the itch.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Still rocking a 2600k here, overclocked to 4.6ghz and paired with 2133mhz ddr3. Still plows through everything I play.

Hey can anyone send a link to a DVI (GPU) to VGA (Monitor) cable from newegg for my MSI RX480 Gaming X?

Here's what the ports on the GPU look like
5jbp25a.jpg

Forgot to mention: A 24 + 1 pin to a 15 VGA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom