• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im installing a crucial 525gb ssd. I removed my old hdd and replaced it with the ssd. I'm trying to install windows 10 on it via a bootable USB (FAT MBR) and I keep getting hit with no system files found. Ive messed with the boot order in the bios.

Am I able to do a fresh install of Win10 on an SSD or do i need to do Win7 first then upgrade?

haha i realized i am trying to install windows 10 w/o a key or anything? Ill just try and clone from an older hd.

rtcn63

I have a i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4 GHz and 8 gigs of ram.

I want to add a EVGA 1060 SC 6GB, would this be a good fit, or am I bottlenecked?

Also, would it be a good idea to add another 2x4GB of ram? Or should I toss what I have and buy a 2x8GB kit? Thanks!

I have an i5-3570K OC'd to 4GHZ, 8 gigs of ram, and a 1060 SC. Runs good. Although I'm not sure if I'd recommend the SC with all the overheating issues cropping up in the 10XX line. The 1060 SC supposedly isn't affected, but there have been some high vrm temps shown, and at least one person had their SC blow.

Ganondolf

hopefully you guys can help

I'm getting confused regarding ram in my first ever pc build. I was looking a g.skill trident Z 3000mhz. When I looked at the i5 6500 which I was thinking of getting the Amazon listed showed memory frequencies and it only went up to 2133 ddr4. When I went to Intel's website I could not find a cpu that had 3000 ddr4 compatibility listed on the specs. Am I missing something or am I getting confused?

Also has anyone used Plextor SSDs? Are they a reliable company?

Bloodember

I'm getting confused regarding ram in my first ever pc build. I was looking a g.skill trident Z 3000mhz. When I looked at the i5 6500 which I was thinking of getting the Amazon listed showed memory frequencies and it only went up to 2133 ddr4. When I went to Intel's website I could not find a cpu that had 3000 ddr4 compatibility listed on the specs. Am I missing something or am I getting confused?

2133mhz is the stock speeds for ddr4 if you want any faster you have to use a z170 board.

LilJoka

All the skylake CPUs intel memory controller's are rated at 2133Mhz.
Anymore requires overclocking the IMC, which happens automatically when running RAM at a higher speed than 2133Mhz. When you reach the 3000Mhz+ range, it may need more tweaking than the XMP profile that you can turn on to automate this process. And because the CPU IMC is overclocked, you need a Z170 board to run ram at over 2133Mhz.

Plextor is a reliable company.

As for running 3000Mhz on a Z series board with a non-K CPU - not sure!
IMO if you are getting a Z series board, the CPU overclock is MUCH more important than memory OC. I would adjust your part choice to prioritise the CPU over anything else between board/ram/cpu.

Ganondolf

All the skylake CPUs intel memory controller's are rated at 2133Mhz.
Anymore requires overclocking the IMC, which happens automatically when running RAM at a higher speed than 2133Mhz. When you reach the 3000Mhz+ range, it may need more tweaking than the XMP profile that you can turn on to automate this process. And because the CPU IMC is overclocked, you need a Z170 board to run ram at over 2133Mhz.

Plextor is a reliable company.

As for running 3000Mhz on a Z series board with a non-K CPU - not sure!
IMO if you are getting a Z series board, the CPU overclock is MUCH more important than memory OC. I would adjust your part choice to prioritise the CPU over anything else between board/ram/cpu.

thanks,

I'm not looking to overclock the cpu but was looking at getting some parts like the board so that in the future I could if needed without changing all the parts. I may look at getting a i5 6600k and leave it unclocked if that would be better?

Bloodember

I was looking to get an asus z170i board. so the ram will work at full speed (3000) with an i5 6500?

thanks,

I'm not looking to overclock the cpu but was looking at getting some parts like the board so that in the future I could if needed without changing all the parts. I may look at getting a i5 6600k and leave it unclocked if that would be better?
You should be able to use overclocked memory without a k processor. Just turn on xmp profile for the ram.

LilJoka

thanks,

Yeah that's my point. Getting a Z series board and a non K CPU with fast ram makes no sense.
The ram OC will give a small improvement, but any CPU OC would be much more beneficial. Overclocking skylake is very simple too.

I think my Evga 500w PSU died. I tried doing the paperclip trick and the fan will not spin. The LED on the case turn on when I press the power button and the CPU fan is the only thing that moves. Could both MOBO and PSU have died? I tried to install a GPU for the first time prior to this and the PSU had more than enough power for the GTX 1060. I also tried resetting the Bios by removing the CMOS battery because My Computer couldn't turn on but everything was still lighting up before the PSU died.

Hey Gaf, I built my PC today and it was going perfect. Thinking to myself that I will see if I can power it on and see if it will start before doing serious cable management. I tried to power it on and it didn't start. I thought maybe I didn't put the front panel connectors in the right places. So far the only thing that is not connected to the front panel connectors are the HD Audio, F. Panel, -CI+, +Speaker-, +pwr led. Anything I missed to do?

Edit: Also the when hitting the power switch nothing turns on, fans, nor the PSU fan. I made sure that to the PSU in both the "I" and "O".

LilJoka

Hey Gaf, I built my PC today and it was going perfect. Thinking to myself that I will see if I can power it on and see if it will start before doing serious cable management. I tried to power it on and it didn't start. I thought maybe I didn't put the front panel connectors in the right places. So far the only thing that is not connected to the front panel connectors are the HD Audio, F. Panel, -CI+, +Speaker-, +pwr led. Anything I missed to do?

Edit: Also the when hitting the power switch nothing turns on, fans, nor the PSU fan. I made sure that to the PSU in both the "I" and "O".

The only requirements to see something working is having the power switch wired to the front panel header, 24pin atx plugged in and PSU plugged into the wall.
Do any motherboard leds light up when flipping the PSU switch on?

Try shorting the 2 pins for PWR-SW on the front panel with a screw driver such that you bypass the case switch to turn the PC on.
Should atleast some leds on and fans spin.

z3phon

Did you try turning it on from the power button on the motherboard?
Also do the lights on the motherboard switch on when PSU is on?

The only requirements to see something working is having the power switch wired to the front panel header, 24pin atx plugged in and PSU plugged into the wall.
Do any motherboard leds light up when flipping the PSU switch on?

Try shorting the 2 pins for PWR-SW on the front panel with a screw driver such that you bypass the case switch to turn the PC on.
Should atleast some leds on and fans spin.

Did you try turning it on from the power button on the motherboard?
Also do the lights on the motherboard switch on when PSU is on?

Actually I just figured it out. I just didn't have one of the connectors attached to the PSU lmao. A beginners mistake...

Okay, so after that horrible embarrassing beginning builders mistake. My PC now boots, I just have one more and last troubleshooting questions. My PC won't display on my monitor. My monitor receives no signal and currently in sleep mode. Should I try connecting it to a HDMI cable from my PC to my TV and see if anything shows up there?

Okay, so after that horrible embarrassing beginning builders mistake. My PC now boots, I just have one more and last troubleshooting questions. My PC won't display on my monitor. My monitor receives no signal and currently in sleep mode. Should I try connecting it to a HDMI cable from my PC to my TV and see if anything shows up there?

Ya plug the monitor into the motherboard or the GPU?

Fuzzery

Where's the best place to buy a preassembled desktop? Don't really want to go to the trouble of buying all the parts individually and assembling it

Niks

My nephew wants a desktop PC for Christmas...
Looking at the recommended builds I think this would be a good match for him.

6jIXr9c.jpg

You guys know of any place that would build the PC with these specs and also ship it?
I would build it myself but I am currently not in the US.

Any ideas?

rabhw

As I prepare to upgrade my PC when the 1080ti hits, I'm on the fence about what to do with my current PC (2500k).

I've always wanted to build a living room PC for emulation (mostly classic stuff, but maybe up to ps1/ps2 era as well?)

My dilemma...ITX motherboards for socket 1155 are very hard to find at this point. I found 1 ebay listing for an H61 Intel board. Do I buy that and re-use my 95W TDP 2500k? Or is it time to let it go and I'll just build a separate living room PC (along with my new PC) with something like an i3-6300...

Feels wrong just dumping a still-quite-beastly 2500K, but the ecosystem just isn't there for it anymore...

Mystic654

My nephew wants a desktop PC for Christmas...
Looking at the recommended builds I think this would be a good match for him.

6jIXr9c.jpg

You guys know of any place that would build the PC with these specs and also ship it?
I would build it myself but I am currently not in the US.

Any ideas?

Their a few places, but it's likely that price might double do to warranty and labor.

Need some SSD advice. I have a 960GB sandisk (not pro) in my desktop now but I am hitting the capacity wall with a few games and my video editing/audio projects.

I am thinking I should get a second SSD. What do people recommend? Might just add another 960gb Sandisk?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best budget laptop these days? Around £300. I'm looking to switch from tablet to laptop/notebook, something lightweight. Screen around 10 - 15", prefer i3/i5 over a Celeron, Windows 10, at least 4GB RAM but prefer 8GB, storage isn't important, would prefer small SSD over large HDD.

LilJoka

As I prepare to upgrade my PC when the 1080ti hits, I'm on the fence about what to do with my current PC (2500k).

I've always wanted to build a living room PC for emulation (mostly classic stuff, but maybe up to ps1/ps2 era as well?)

My dilemma...ITX motherboards for socket 1155 are very hard to find at this point. I found 1 ebay listing for an H61 Intel board. Do I buy that and re-use my 95W TDP 2500k? Or is it time to let it go and I'll just build a separate living room PC (along with my new PC) with something like an i3-6300...

Feels wrong just dumping a still-quite-beastly 2500K, but the ecosystem just isn't there for it anymore...

If you are going to use Dolphin emu, pick up skylake. Dolphin got a big boost from haswell onwards due to new CPU instruction sets.

Otherwise the 2500k is pretty good for most other emus. May struggle with heavier ps2 titles like GT4.

LQX

Need some SSD advice. I have a 960GB sandisk (not pro) in my desktop now but I am hitting the capacity wall with a few games and my video editing/audio projects.

I am thinking I should get a second SSD. What do people recommend? Might just add another 960gb Sandisk?

With a secondary drive do you actually need the speed or more space? If space I would go with something like the new Seagate Firecuda SSHD 2.5.

whats a good motherboard that can fit into a Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case? having a hard time finding one that is mentioned in logical increments.

Bloodember

So this morning I looked around to see if I had a DVI cable to connect to the GPU. Sadly I don't have one nor does my monitor support one. I'm going to have to order a DVI to VGA from Newegg til I get a new monitor.

Will this work fine to connect it?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...17550&cm_re=dvi_to_vga-_-12-117-550-_-Product

Yes

whats a good motherboard that can fit into a Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case? having a hard time finding one that is mentioned in logical increments.
Any mATX motherboard will work. Just pick the one with the features you want.

having a strange problem here:
my mobo died because of static discharge. had to get a new one. installed everything, etc.
i had an OC of 4.5Ghz on that old mobo and the 4690k. after installing, i discovered that one of the 8gb 1666 ram sticks died. for some days i used only one stick, and after noticing different performance on games that performed really well with (Mankind Divided, GTAV HITMAN) now go to 100% utilization of the CPU, which didnt happen before. i then proceeded to change to two 4gb 1333 sticks. is this just a ram issue, and these games need more ram? or something could have happened to the cpu too?
PS: i havent retried doing an OC, at least manually. i tried doing the auto OC of the mobo, but got a BSOD 2 times(which curiously didnt happen in a game, but in a video)

LilJoka

having a strange problem here:
my mobo died because of static discharge. had to get a new one. installed everything, etc.
i had an OC of 4.5Ghz on that old mobo and the 4690k. after installing, i discovered that one of the 8gb 1666 ram sticks died. for some days i used only one stick, and after noticing different performance on games that performed really well with (Mankind Divided, GTAV HITMAN) now go to 100% utilization of the CPU, which didnt happen before. i then proceeded to change to two 4gb 1333 sticks. is this just a ram issue, and these games need more ram? or something could have happened to the cpu too?
PS: i havent retried doing an OC, at least manually. i tried doing the auto OC of the mobo, but got a BSOD 2 times(which curiously didnt happen in a game, but in a video)

First time I'm seeing that in all my years of building without taking any static discharge precautions.

Is it possible the RAM is the fault, try to bring everything to stock clocks and try to test the PC.
What specifically is using all the CPU, check in task manager.

First time I'm seeing that in all my years of building without taking any static discharge precautions.

Is it possible the RAM is the fault, try to bring everything to stock clocks and try to test the PC.
What specifically is using all the CPU, check in task manager.
oh, the games are using the CPU. it's just that the usage is higher, compared to when i was using the other mobo, which made me think something was wrong with the CPU.
Hmm, i guess i'll test my brother's Ram tomorrow, and see if all the rams i testes so far were just faulty.
about the static discharge stuff, it's sorta complicated. one day i went to clean my H100i. after finishing, the pc wouldnt turn on correctly. would turn on for some seconds then reset. i could get on the bios sometimes and stay there, but never boot. thought it could've been the CPU power cable being pressured bu the h100, didnt work.
took it to some technicians, who tested both of my sticks(which i saw them doing) and both were fine. they tested everything else and said probably the mobo suffered something.
bought a new mobo, and when i installed everything, exact same problem. tested removing one of the sticks and then it worked. not sure if my ram was the problem all along, or i managed to fuck it up too while installing the new mobo.

LilJoka

oh, the games are using the CPU. it's just that the usage is higher, compared to when i was using the other mobo, which made me think something was wrong with the CPU.
Hmm, i guess i'll test my brother's Ram tomorrow, and see if all the rams i testes so far were just faulty.
about the static discharge stuff, it's sorta complicated. one day i went to clean my H100i. after finishing, the pc wouldnt turn on correctly. would turn on for some seconds then reset. i could get on the bios sometimes and stay there, but never boot. thought it could've been the CPU power cable being pressured bu the h100, didnt work.
took it to some technicians, who tested both of my sticks(which i saw them doing) and both were fine. they tested everything else and said probably the mobo suffered something.
bought a new mobo, and when i installed everything, exact same problem. tested removing one of the sticks and then it worked. not sure if my ram was the problem all along, or i managed to fuck it up too while installing the new mobo.

Nope, sounds like RAM issues to me. When you say these guys tested the RAM - exactly how? Memtest86+?
All these parts are solid, they don't just break unless you really abuse them, so I doubt any of your actions had any effect on the parts' health.

Maybe the lack of RAM is causing the CPU to have to page to the SSD/HDD more, that causes high CPU utilisation. What is the RAM usage when in game?

I haven't been paying close attention to GPU temps but with the EVGA thing going on I updated my EVGA 1060 SC to the latest bios though I don't think this particular card was affected? Do these temps look alright? Seems to hang around 66/67 while playing overwatch. This is not a custom profile just default.

Nope, sounds like RAM issues to me. When you say these guys tested the RAM - exactly how? Memtest86+?
All these parts are solid, they don't just break unless you really abuse them, so I doubt any of your actions had any effect on the parts' health.

Maybe the lack of RAM is causing the CPU to have to page to the SSD/HDD more, that causes high CPU utilisation. What is the RAM usage when in game?
yep. memtest. i thought paging could be the culprit. in general, these games make the whole ram usage in general get to 80-95%, depending on the game.
Now im sad that i could have bought the new mobo for nothing, and could've already bought the ram for a fraction of the price. fuck

LilJoka

I haven't been paying close attention to GPU temps but with the EVGA thing going on I updated my EVGA 1060 SC to the latest bios though I don't think this particular card was affected? Do these temps look alright? Seems to hang around 66/67 while playing overwatch. This is not a custom profile just default.

Temps are fine, but its the VRM temp that causes the issues. Those aren't reported as there is no VRM temp sensor. VRM temp will be related to the GPU Core temp, so if it dropped, then VRM temps probably dropped a little too. I believe the BIOS just raises the fan speeds. Id be looking for a refund if I were you, but not sure if the 1060 actually had any reported meltdowns.

yep. memtest. i thought paging could be the culprit. in general, these games make the whole ram usage in general get to 80-95%, depending on the game.
Now im sad that i could have bought the new mobo for nothing, and could've already bought the ram for a fraction of the price. fuck

Just btw. if your mainboard has 4 RAM slots (most have) you can use 2x4GB + 1x8GB just fine (including dual channel; the slowest RAM will determine the speed, though, i.e. your 1333mhz sticks). So maybe try that to see if the CPU usage goes down to previous levels.

Just btw. if your mainboard has 4 RAM slots (most have) you can use 2x4GB + 1x8GB just fine (including dual channel; the slowest RAM will determine the speed, though, i.e. your 1333mhz sticks). So maybe try that to see if the CPU usage goes down to previous levels.
ohhhhhhhh, really? testing right now then. thanks :D
EDIT: well, performance on the house was sorta better on GTA V. city stuttered like crazy.
W3 performs far better, and usage went down 10-20%, depending on the scene.
Unity is still all over the place. tbf, on the other mobo and ram, i only played it to the first time you have freedom to roam with arno, so i dont know if this specific area i'm in is just badly optimized.
Arkham Knight still performs the same. outdoors it's most of the time at 100% on msi afterburner, and between 70-85% on the task manager.

Temps are fine, but its the VRM temp that causes the issues. Those aren't reported as there is no VRM temp sensor. VRM temp will be related to the GPU Core temp, so if it dropped, then VRM temps probably dropped a little too. I believe the BIOS just raises the fan speeds. Id be looking for a refund if I were you, but not sure if the 1060 actually had any reported meltdowns.
Hm from what I can tell my card isn't affected. Link to my model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487261

According to EVGA it's ACX 3.0 cards that have the issue whereas mine is 2.0. Someone correct me if I'm wrong however.

EDIT: confirmed with EVGA over the phone my card is good. It's only the ACX 3.0 cards affected

I got a great deal on a 1080 founders but man that cooler isn't great. My first reference card and in winter with low ambient temps my card runs pretty hot. Is water cooling my only option for this reference card?

In its default state the fan curve is quiet but the card throttles. If I kick up the fans it's noisy but still gets hot but at least the card is running the way it was meant to run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom