• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a thread for uk deals? I really want to pick up a cheap RX 480
I'm in a similar situation currently, though open to an exceptionally good deal on the 1060. I don't think GPU deals often get posted on the regular EU gaming deals thread. They are giving away Civilization VI with the 480 and Gears of War 4 with the 1060 so you can expect to sell those for at least £25 on the BST thread. Was kinda hoping for Hitman as a pack in.

It might be worth buying from mainland Europe because it's so much cheaper over there. I'm just keeping my eye on HUKD and Amazon for Flubit links.

Anyone know any good UK stores for PC desks?

It has to be classy/discrete enough to live in the lounge and not upset my wife!
I just ordered the Ikea Bekant and a kitchen counter top but can't comment on the quality as it hasn't arrived. For the price though, it appears to beat most desks on aesthetics. Also picked up their cable management thing and a toilet roll holder as a cheap headphone hook.

Smidget

Man. This has to be an error. The photo is the gtx 1070. The reviews are for the gtx 1070. But it says 1080 in the description.......!

It's worth a shot if you're in the market. I'd do instore pickup so you can argue it if you really want it. I have a 1060 and mostly game on consoles so I'll skip.

hoserx

It's worth a shot if you're in the market. I'd do instore pickup so you can argue it if you really want it. I have a 1060 and mostly game on PC so I'll skip.

I have two 970s but really considering buying this and selling them....... I think I'll do it and report back.

For new page sorry
Okay GAF now that ive figured things out i hope you'll find me the right parts :)

Questionnaire:

Your Current Specs: i have nothing. Need everything

PC itself
Monitor
Mouse
Keyboard
OS

Budget: £900 is the limit UK

Main Use: 4. mostly playing Overwatch but maybe some other AAA games and some light emulation. Some work stuff mostly word

Monitor Resolution: 1080p i guess

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?

60fps mostly for Overwatch. Dont know what the rest are >.>

Looking to reuse any parts?: nope

When will you build?: maybe by the end of November

Will you be overclocking?:Maybe

Extra request:
Prefer reliable and well known stores/businesses to order from

One of those mechanical light up rgb keyboards would be nice if possible

Would be nice if the monitor doesnt have a large bezel but honestly not a big issue.
I know i cant bee too fussy with my budget.

~
im trusting you guys my brother was saying to just order a pre built one @_@
Thx!

Anduril

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU for Christmas ... I'm currently on a GTX 460 768 mb, stuck on default drivers, as it crashes all newer drivers every few minutes with gaming/video watching. So, probably quite an upgrade with any new GPU.

CPU is an old i5 760 @ 2.8ghz (I think I can OC it to about 3.3ghz), but I'm on a ~200€ budget so I'm changing the GPU first so I can start playing my Steam backlog (basically a few years old AAA titles like Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored, plus some new Doom in the future). I'm looking at 1080p gaming, dont need higher for the foreseeable future. Only one requirement: I need it to do Steam streaming well too and I think I read AMD has serious issues with that?

I'm looking at RX 480 4gb or 1060 3gb. Probably no reason to go 8gb/6gb for 1080p? Should I be looking at a RX 470 or something else entirely? The price difference with a 470 seems negligible. Are there any specific brands I should be looking at? I'm currently looking at amazon.de, but any shop suggestions for mainland Europe would be appreciated.

vector824

Okay GAF now that ive figured things out i hope you'll find me the right parts :)

Questionnaire:

Your Current Specs: i have nothing. Need everything

PC itself
Monitor
Mouse
Keyboard
OS

Budget: £900 is the limit UK

Main Use: 4. mostly playing Overwatch but maybe some other AAA games and some light emulation. Some work stuff mostly word

Monitor Resolution: 1080p i guess

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?

60fps mostly for Overwatch. Dont know what the rest are >.>

Looking to reuse any parts?: nope

When will you build?: maybe by the end of November

Will you be overclocking?:Maybe

Extra request:
Prefer reliable and well known stores/businesses to order from

One of those mechanical light up rgb keyboards would be nice if possible

Would be nice if the monitor doesnt have a large bezel but honestly not a big issue.
I know i cant bee too fussy with my budget.

~
im trusting you guys my brother was saying to just order a pre built one @_@
Thx!

Here's a start. AMD GPU and Freesync monitor. The 470 will run Overwatch just fine, and will definitely be buttery smooth with freesync. Benchmarks here: http://www.techspot.com/review/1220-amd-radeon-rx-470/page2.html

Gave you some wiggle room for a mouse and keyboard. I would research what you want to go with on those yourself. You can save some more by going with a website that sells Win10 keys for around $30.

You can't overclock that CPU, but it's plenty fast enough for 1080p gaming. Definitely throw in an SSD when you have more cash, or increase your budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£183.91 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! SHADOW ROCK LP 51.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£33.59 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£42.41 @ Novatech)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.99 @ Novatech)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 470 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card (£184.96 @ More Computers)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£43.79 @ BT Shop)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit (£83.03 @ More Computers)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£6.98 @ Novatech)
Monitor: AOC G2460VQ6 24.0" 60Hz Monitor (£119.99 @ Novatech)
Total: £832.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-17 15:30 GMT+0000

Here's a start. AMD GPU and Freesync monitor. The 470 will run Overwatch just fine, and will definitely be buttery smooth with freesync. Benchmarks here: http://www.techspot.com/review/1220-amd-radeon-rx-470/page2.html

Gave you some wiggle room for a mouse and keyboard. I would research what you want to go with what you want on those yourself. You can save some more by going with a website that sells Win10 keys for around $30.

You can't overclock that CPU, but it's plenty fast enough for 1080p gaming. Definitely throw in an SSD when you have more cash, or increase your budget.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£42.41 @ Novatech)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.99 @ Novatech)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 470 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card (£184.96 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit (£83.03 @ More Computers)

Generally a good build, given the budget involved. Given the specification of 60 FPS for Overwatch, an i3 6100 could do the trick and save about £70 - enough to slot in an SSD - but the 6500 would definitely last longer and perform better on more demanding games.

vector824

Generally a good build, given the budget involved. Given the specification of 60 FPS for Overwatch, an i3 6100 could do the trick and save about £70 - enough to slot in an SSD - but the 6500 would definitely last longer and perform better on more demanding games.

Yeah, better to go with a 4 core i5 for longevity. The SSD can always be added in later with much less hassle.

Edit: This is a COMPLETE set up that will easily run *most* games at 1080p on ultra WITH freesync for less than 900 pounds... hard to beat really. He could drop the cooler and save another 30 I guess. I would rather have a frosty CPU than 30 more pounds though.

Yeah, better to go with a 4 core i5 for longevity. The SSD can always be added in later with much less hassle.

Edit: This is a COMPLETE set up that will easily run *most* games at 1080p on ultra WITH freesync for less than 900 pounds... hard to beat really. He could drop the cooler and save another 30 I guess. I would rather have a frosty CPU than 30 more pounds though.

Well, there are other coolers that could suffice for a couple quid less, but yeah its hard to beat as a setup for what's being paid.

So I think my final list is going to be:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fBZgzM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fBZgzM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£319.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case (£99.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-BK 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan (£11.99 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Asus VS248HR 24.0" 60Hz Monitor (£114.99 @ Amazon UK)

Other: Toshiba P300 2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA Hard Drive (bulk) (£57.99 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Gigabyte GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6G NVIDIA 6 GB Graphics Cards - Black (Active, ATX, GeForce GTX 1060, GDDR5, PCI Express x16 3.0) (£245.99 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Noctua NH-U14S - NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler with NF-A15 Fan (£53.72 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Windows 10 Pro and DVD Installer (£29.99)

Total: £1384.48

Going into Black Friday week. Any thoughts?

So I think my final list is going to be:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fBZgzM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fBZgzM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£319.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case (£99.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-BK 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan (£11.99 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Asus VS248HR 24.0" 60Hz Monitor (£114.99 @ Amazon UK)

Other: Toshiba P300 2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA Hard Drive (bulk) (£57.99 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Gigabyte GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6G NVIDIA 6 GB Graphics Cards - Black (Active, ATX, GeForce GTX 1060, GDDR5, PCI Express x16 3.0) (£245.99 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Noctua NH-U14S - NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler with NF-A15 Fan (£53.72 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Windows 10 Pro and DVD Installer (£29.99)

Total: £1384.48

Going into Black Friday week. Any thoughts?

Fractal Define S instead of the R5, unless you need an optical drive (you don't).

Schryver

So I think I had this issue before but now I can't fix it. I'm trying to play Skyrim SE on my TV but I noticed the framerate was horrible. It must have something to do with my receiver because it works fine going from my PC directly to my monitor but when going through the receiver the Skyrim setting detector says that it cannot detect my video card and sets the graphics to low.
I currently have the PC to receiver via HDMI and then HDMI out from the receiver to the TV. Even when I try setting that HDMI input to passthrough it doesn't work correctly. Any ideas?

The reciever is down the chain from the GPU, it shouldn't matter. Something is up with the game.

I tried running the RE6 benchmark tool and it does the same thing...10x worse performance through the receiver than directly to the monitor (this is a 1-2 year old receiver and only a 1080p TV btw). I guess I will try going directly to the TV and/or use a new HDMI cable tonight and see what happens

e90Mark

Just got my 6700k for $250 :D

Anyone needing a processor update, Microcenter has it on sale: http://www.microcenter.com/product/451883/Core_i7-6700K_SkyLake_40GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor

Plus $30 off for a compatible motherboard! Got a Asus Maximus VIII Impact ITX board for $155 after 2 rebates.

Hell of a deal. Great hardware for really a small amount of money, compared to retail. I love living next to an MC.

It's crazy how much cheaper you can get a 6700k for compared to when there were shortages and prices were about $380 just one year ago.

Rommel

Man. This has to be an error. The photo is the gtx 1070. The reviews are for the gtx 1070. But it says 1080 in the description.......!

Got mine in Utah. Ordered off eBay for instore pickup. Got the message at 7 am it was ready but when I got there it was a 1070 they had pulled. Showed them the order details on my account showing a 1080 and their system showed a 1080 so they quickly made the switch and I was on my way.

Of note I was there when the doors opened and they were busy so I don't think they looked too close

After tax it was $480. Super stoked.

Gave you some wiggle room for a mouse and keyboard. I would research what you want to go with on those yourself. You can save some more by going with a website that sells Win10 keys for around $30.

Thanks for the help i really appreciate taking your time out to do this you too Jonny.

Are refunds same as usual business on second hand products?
dont want to get a duff card.
Don't quote me on this but I think it is standard 1 year warranty and a couple of weeks no quibble. Honestly can't find anything written on Amazon's site though.

Got ASUS GeForce DUAL-GTX1060-6G for 194, I'm happy enough with that! Hard to tell differences between different 1060s
Good deal! I think as long as it isn't the 3gb version you're gravy.

Hey guys, I got almost all my parts. I'm just missing my optical drive and I'm good to go. Now this is my first build, and only have a few unlikely fears of happening during the build and some questions.

CPU placement: My biggest concern about building my PC is the CPU placement. I know the gold triangle and notches will tell me which way it suppose to go. How will I know that it's good to go for the clamp to go down without the fear of bending the pins?

Cable management: With my PSU being fully modular, there shouldn't be a lot of cables in my rig: My case (DIYPC VT380-BK) comes with some zip ties, and people say, it's really good with cable management . How much time do you guys usually spend on cable management?

Static Discharge: I'm going to be building in my room, as it is the only room without carpet, but it does have a rug. I'm going to clean my entire room the day before to have enough room and less clutter. I'm going to be building on a wooden desk on hardwood floor and will probably move the rug out before building. I shouldn't have a fear of static, but I should be good right?

I'm pretty sure that's all my questions. Any other building tips will be great to know.

enewtabie

Hey guys, I got almost all my parts. I'm just missing my optical drive and I'm good to go. Now this is my first build, and only have a few unlikely fears of happening during the build and some questions.

CPU placement: My biggest concern about building my PC is the CPU placement. I know the gold triangle and notches will tell me which way it suppose to go. How will I know that it's good to go for the clamp to go down without the fear of bending the pins?

Cable management: With my PSU being fully modular, there shouldn't be a lot of cables in my rig: My case (DIYPC VT380-BK) comes with some zip ties, and people say, it's really good with cable management . How much time do you guys usually spend on cable management?

Static Discharge: I'm going to be building in my room, as it is the only room without carpet, but it does have a rug. I'm going to clean my entire room the day before to have enough room and less clutter. I'm going to be building on a wooden desk on hardwood floor and will probably move the rug out before building. I shouldn't have a fear of static, but I should be good right?

I'm pretty sure that's all my questions. Any other building tips will be great to know.

CPU. Just place it down. That's it. Don't press it or anything. Just place it down and pull the handle.

PSU. Its up to you really. I spend time to make it look good for pictures or if I want to do something on youtube. But it's hidden so if you just want to tie up some of the wires that's your call.

Never had any issues with static. Just touched the case periodically.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hell of a deal. Great hardware for really a small amount of money, compared to retail. I love living next to an MC.

It's crazy how much cheaper you can get a 6700k for compared to when there were shortages and prices were about $380 just one year ago.

Indeed :) I love having one in Dallas.

hoserx

Got it buddy. Thanks so much! Got that chic-fil-a, too.

8x1hWNL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom