• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through quite a bit of hassle actually. I posted about it in the thread about the deal:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1316025&page=3

Either way, some people seem to encounter no objection at all. It took me about 10 minutes.

I guess we'll see then. I don't *really* need it. I need to buy tires for my car and I don't even know if it'll fit my case lol

Edit: just checked my email again and they canceled it. Welp.

Chinbo37

Im buiding a new gaming PC using as many parts from my last gaming PC as I can.

New parts:
- ITX Case
- ITX Mobo
- I7 6770K

Old Parts:
- PWM Case Fans
- Hyper Evo 212 CPU Cooler
- GTX 970
- 250 GB SSD

Question, If I put my old SSD with Windows and all my games etc installed on it, and just connect it to my new MOBO and CPU, what exactly happens when you boot up?

IE - I am trying to figure out the best way to transfer my data. I know a clean install is what I will eventually do but I was just curious on what would happen.

Hi PC Gaf,

I'm wanting to get a new PC that can achieve a good stable frame rate at 1440p for most new games.

I'm leaning towards getting a GTX 1070 and an i5 6600k; both the 1080s and i7's seem to be a big jump in price for only a minor improvement in performance, but I'm happy to hear the case that its worth the extra money for either.

I don't really feel competent enough to build my own PC, and the best site I've found so far is cclonline.com - components and overall price are posted below. Does it sound like a reasonable price, or can I save hundreds of pounds by building my own (in which case this becomes a lot more attractive)?

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5GHz Quad Core
Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 CPU Liquid Cooler Kit
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4 (Is there much of an advantage for the 3000MHz RAM vs say 2400MHz??)
Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB 2.5" SATA III SSD
Storage 2: Seagate Desktop 2TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Black Gaming
Power Supply: Cooler Master G650M 650W Modular PSU 80+ Bronze (will this be enough power??)

I've also got two extra fans and a wifi card the total is £1260. Windows is an extra £90, but I've heard I can save lots of money by buying windows 10 online and installing it myself - any videos which show how to do this? I imagine I will need to burn into onto a DVD or something??

Recommendations for 1440p monitors also very welcome.

Would anyone mind giving me some help with the above?

Thanks in advance!

th3dude

I'm assuming this is USD? I think they go on sale somewhat often, and I paid $450 for mine. I've seen people mention getting them in the $300 range from Dell's warehouse deals, too.

Personally, I'm very happy with mine and I don't think I can go back to non-gsync/144hz. A 970 should be fine. Remember, it has gsync, so you don't have to get 144hz all the time to still benefit from this monitor.

You need to download/install a custom color profile though, to fix the jacked up gamma.

Great monitor. I love mine. I paid 519 with tax for mine two months ago. No issues and it's really hard looking at 60hz afterwards.

I bit the bullet and bought one. Very excited!

This is the one I'm referring to. Couldn't hold off any longer.

BadWolf

Which OS is the one to go for for a new PC?

7, 8 or 10?

Keep hearing about people having issues with 10, forced updates/downloads etc...

Question:

I am looking into installing a graphics card from USA into a Chinese PC. Will there be any issues with the power etc? From what I gather the parts are the same on either side of the ocean and that the PSU is what handles difference in voltages.It is 220 in China.

kennah

Question:

I am looking into installing a graphics card from USA into a Chinese PC. Will there be any issues with the power etc? From what I gather the parts are the same on either side of the ocean and that the PSU is what handles difference in voltages.It is 220 in China.

Yep, you'll be fine.

kuYuri

So I've had a Rosewill bronze PSU that's served me well the past 3+ years, should I upgrade/update to a new PSU or continue to ride it out until I experience issues? I've no problems with it thus far. No random shut offs or weird noises or anything.

Are there any announced 4K monitors with HDR? I'm not really looking to buy one anytime soon, but I'll probably use my current monitor for a PS4 Pro and I'm just wondering if there's any on the horizon or if it's still a couple years away.

Clipse

Is it normal for Micro Center to use manufacturer's rebates in their favor to price match Newegg/Amazon, while ignoring the fact that Newegg/Amazon are also offering the same rebate?

Newegg is selling the MSI 1070 Gaming X for $405.99 ($385.99 after rebate) and MC tried to tell me the best they could do is $425.99 ($405.99 after rebate). How is that a price match when Newegg beats your price by $20 in the end?

The Chef

Ok just finished building my PC and fired it up. I powered it on thinking I'd at least get to a bios screen but nothing is appearing yet.

When I boot the PC it says Connect PCIe Power Cables for this graphics card.

Did I connect my card wrong?

Edit: nvm it didn't have the 6 pin connector. Just the 8.

Hi guys,

I want to get a new GPU.

My current set up (I bought the pc early 2014):
- processor: i7-4770S CPU @ 3.10GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
- 16 GB RAM
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, 2GB
- 21:9 monitor (2560 x 1080 resolution ist nice but not a must for me)

I am thinking about this card: ASUS GeForce DUAL-GTX1060-6G 6 GB
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IPFN7UQ/
Seems like a good deal for 270£. I live in the UK, if that makes a difference regarding price.

My questions:
- I don't want a crazy expensive high end card, but I do want better performance. The jump from a 2GB card to a 6GB card should be noticeable. Still, are 1060s worth the money?
- Could my CPU at 3.1 GHz be a bottleneck?

Sorry, if these questions seem silly, it's been a while since I actually upgraded a pc on my own.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

andycapps

So anyone use a external HDD for games?

Thinking of going that route while I wait for bargins on large capasidy SSD's
Could just get a 256 GB SSD and an external drive. Install the games to your SSD and if you're not currently playing them transfer them to the external with Steam Mover. When you want to play them again transfer them back.

Mozendo

Hi guys,

I want to get a new GPU.

My current set up (I bought the pc early 2014):
- processor: i7-4770S CPU @ 3.10GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
- 16 GB RAM
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, 2GB
- 21:9 monitor (2560 x 1080 resolution ist nice but not a must for me)

I am thinking about this card: ASUS GeForce DUAL-GTX1060-6G 6 GB
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IPFN7UQ/
Seems like a good deal for 270£. I live in the UK, if that makes a difference regarding price.

My questions:
- I don't want a crazy expensive high end card, but I do want better performance. The jump from a 2GB card to a 6GB card should be noticeable. Still, are 1060s worth the money?
- Could my CPU at 3.1 GHz be a bottleneck?

Sorry, if these questions seem silly, it's been a while since I actually upgraded a pc on my own.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Looking at the prices from PCPartPicker the 480 is honestly what I would look at. The performance is pretty much neck and neck with AMD drivers update, but the 480 excels in DX12 and Vulkan games.
2. I'm not familiar with CPUs but, even though you have a low base clock speed compared to other i5s and i7 your turbo boost clock speed is 3.9 GHz which is pretty good, I doubt there will be a bottleneck

Molemitts

Is there any point where Black Friday sales for PC part will start really coming in? I haven't seen much so far. Will Cyber Monday be better, or will it basically be the same?

microdot

I'm planning to use a Noctua NH-U14S in a Fractal Design Define S case, but since the case was built for liquid cooling, should I spend more and get the Corsair h100i V2? Aesthetically it would look better, which is stupid of me because my case doesn't have a window. Also, I plan to mess around with overclocking in the future.

mjc

So I've seen some videos surface of EVGA 1070s catching fire...what. I just built my new PC and it has a 1070 from them, I think I'm gonna request a new card through RMA. Has anyone had good experience with that?

Vuze

So I've seen some videos surface of EVGA 1070s catching fire...what. I just built my new PC and it has a 1070 from them, I think I'm gonna request a new card through RMA. Has anyone had good experience with that?
I'd say refund and get another brand or reference design from them + aftermarket cooler (for their warranty and CS). I'll do the latter with upcoming cards if the trend of mediocre overclocking potential continues with Volta.

Is there any point where Black Friday sales for PC part will start really coming in? I haven't seen much so far. Will Cyber Monday be better, or will it basically be the same?

Thats a good question.

Id like to build one up. Is a fx 8350 + rx 480 8gb okay? Maybe someone can recommend a solid mainboard.

I'm planning to use a Noctua NH-U14S in a Fractal Design Define S case, but since the case was built for liquid cooling, should I spend more and get the Corsair h100i V2? Aesthetically it would look better, which is stupid of me because my case doesn't have a window. Also, I plan to mess around with overclocking in the future.
Define S was build for custom watercooling. In a windowless case I would always go for NHU14S. Much cheaper, more quiet and never have to worry about leaks, pump failures. The only downside is slightly less performance. I have a Define S and NHU14S though so I might be a bit biased.

Define S was build for custom watercooling. In a windowless case I would always go for NHU14S. Much cheaper, more quiet and never have to worry about leaks, pump failures. The only downside is slightly less performance. I have a Define S and NHU14S though so I might be a bit biased.

After reading up the last few days I'll either be going with the define s or the R5 with that cooler. It's ugly as sin but since I'll be going windowless it's fine.

I'm picking that over say a H100i since again it saves money, it appears to be quieter since the fans sit inside the sound dampened case rather than up top or at the front. Plus a water cooler only seems to come into its own when you're really trying to push a CPU OC, otherwise temperature benchmarks seemed very close for a lot more hassle/worry.

I think it's great though that so many off the shelf options exist nowadays. It's nice to have the choice and relative simplicity compared to several years back.

@Gen Grievous: someone recommended the S over the R5 the other day: how stable and rugged is the case given that there are no HDD/optical caddy's in one of the corners of the case to strengthen it? ( I noticed in an R5 review it twisted a fair bit without them installed and the side panel off?)

NO. Do not get an AMD CPU, for the same price get the I3 6300, a much better CPU.

Ok, ive had no problems with amd + radeon yet. But i might change to intel. In my early pc gaming days there was amd for gaming and intel for (processor hungry) work.

I think i do some research first, thanks.

microdot

After reading up the last few days I'll either be going with the define s or the R5 with that cooler. It's ugly as sin but since I'll be going windowless it's fine.

I'm picking that over say a H100i since again it saves money, it appears to be quieter since the fans sit inside the sound dampened case rather than up top or at the front. Plus a water cooler only seems to come into its own when you're really trying to push a CPU OC, otherwise temperature benchmarks seemed very close for a lot more hassle/worry.

I think it's great though that so many off the shelf options exist nowadays. It's nice to have the choice and relative simplicity compared to several years back.

@Gen Grievous: someone recommended the S over the R5 the other day: how stable and rugged is the case given that there are no HDD/optical caddy's in one of the corners of the case to strengthen it? ( I noticed in an R5 review it twisted a fair bit without them installed and the side panel off?)

From my understanding, if you liquid cool and mount the radiator at the top of the S case you need to keep at least 2 of the top panels off. This will probably be louder and since the top vents don't have a filter it would make it more susceptible to dust inside. The Noctua is so ugly but the performance is so good.

gotoadgo

From my understanding, if you liquid cool and mount the radiator at the top of the S case you need to keep at least 2 of the top panels off. This will probably be louder and since the top vents don't have a filter it would make it more susceptible to dust inside. The Noctua is so ugly but the performance is so good.

I can confirm this as I'm currently running this case with custom water cooling. There are dust filters that fit the top perfectly though which stops the dust issue.

Bloodember

Ok, ive had no problems with amd + radeon yet. But i might change to intel. In my early pc gaming days there was amd for gaming and intel for (processor hungry) work.

I think i do some research first, thanks.

Yeah,that was long ago. Intel wipes the floor with AMD right now. Unless you can wait for Zen, go Intel.

Molemitts

Alright, I'm about ready to start ordering. I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going for now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£209.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo 43.1 CFM CPU Cooler (£19.50 @ Eclipse Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£94.20 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£67.99 @ Novatech)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£91.98 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£60.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card (£285.98 @ YoYoTech)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£43.79 @ BT Shop)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Novatech)
Total: £924.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-18 18:47 GMT+0000

Any feedback is welcome. This will be my first gaming PC, so if I'm missing anything, can make a simple improvement. or made any silly mistakes, please point it out.

enewtabie

Is there anywhere that sells the new Thermaltake Premium 140mm fans. It's controlled by software instead of an external controller. Nothing on Newegg,Amazon and I even tried Thermaltake,but no answer.

chrislowe

After lots of research the best build for your money is a i3 6100 + GTX1070 actually.

edit : but..but the i3 will bottleneck your GPU... yes it will, but it will still give you better performance. (than a i5 + gtx1060 for almost the same money)

In the Define S the motherboard tray continues all the way to the front of the case creating a solid back wall (meant for mountings reservoirs). This helps with rigidity a lot but I haven't really tried twisting the chassis.

kuYuri

After lots of research the best build for your money is a i3 6100 + GTX1070 actually.

edit : but..but the i3 will bottleneck your GPU... yes it will, but it will still give you better performance. (than a i5 + gtx1060 for almost the same money)

Personally, I would not go for a GPU higher than a 1060 when combined with an i3. Once you get into 1070 territory, i5 is the minimum for best performance
IMO.

I'm also lucky because I live near a Micro Center where the processors are significantly cheaper compared to everywhere else.

I plan on going to 1440p next year (hopefully g-sync). I currently have a 3570k and GTX 780.

What card should I be looking at.. 1070 or 1080? Should I look into upgrading my cpu as well?

chrislowe

Personally, I would not go for a GPU higher than a 1060 when combined with an i3. Once you get into 1070 territory, i5 is the minimum for best performance
IMO.

I'm also lucky because I live near a Micro Center where the processors are significantly cheaper compared to everywhere else.

Just look at benchmarks and you will change your mind.

Witcher 3 ultra 1080P the i3 + GTX1070 gives you solid 60fps, were the i5 + gtx1060 gives you like 45fps with hairworks on.

I plan on going to 1440p next year (hopefully g-sync). I currently have a 3570k and GTX 780.

What card should I be looking at.. 1070 or 1080? Should I look into upgrading my cpu as well?
The 1070 has excellent 1440p performance and should handle whatever you throw at it with 60FPS for the most part although you may need to lower settings for some games like The Witcher 3. You should not need to replace the CPU though. I do not think it should be a bottleneck at stock let alone if you are overclocking it any.

I can confirm this as I'm currently running this case with custom water cooling. There are dust filters that fit the top perfectly though which stops the dust issue.

That's good to know if I ever switch to water cooling!

In the Define S the motherboard tray continues all the way to the front of the case creating a solid back wall (meant for mountings reservoirs). This helps with rigidity a lot but I haven't really tried twisting the chassis.

I see! That's my main concern with that chassis resolved. The only other thing was given that the 3.5 inch drives are mounted vertically behind that metal wall, how much dust gets pulled through via the vent holes for that area? Or is it protected by the front intake filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom