• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me that it's foolish to buy an ultrawide and just stick to two displays.

Edit: Nevermind, sat in front of my bosses' LG. Needs more pixels

ISee

Can someone tell me that it's foolish to buy an ultrawide and just stick to two displays.

If you want to game on the ultra wide and use the other monitor as a second screen device for teamspeak, browser or whatever. Then no. That's absolutely fine.

If you want to use both screens as one huge screen, then yeah I think going with three similar sized displays is better.

Mozendo

212 is the consensus best value heatsink still?

No, check a few pages back where I made a huge fuss about how much I dislike the Hyper 212 evo (and a few pages before that too). the Cryorig M9i outperforms it slightly, but it's a $20 cooler. Not worth it even with MIR. It's loud and brings a bad fan.

I have my eyes on the Scythe Fuma, but if you want to pay $10 less look into the Cryorig H7, BeQuiet! Pure Rock, and the Artic Cooling i32

Pacotez

I can't decide between 470 4GB and 8GB. The difference between them (nitro+) is $30 and I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'd like some advice on this one :(

I can't decide between 470 4GB and 8GB. The difference between them (nitro+) is $30 and I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'd like some advice on this one :(

8GB. 4GB is a joke. 6GB should be the absolute minimum. Even if you're just playing at 1080p there are some games that will easily use that 4GB up.

Mozendo

Are you considering other brands? You can get a 480 8GB around the price of a 470 8GB with MIR, like a MSI 480 8GB Gaming X

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
i have the 212X and i'm happy with it. a lot of people seem to like the Cryorig H7 but i can't find it here in the UK.

Maybe not the best value but still a very good choice.

There are better options IMO. Look at Cryorig.

No, check a few pages back where I made a huge fuss about how much I dislike the Hyper 212 evo (and a few pages before that too). the Cryorig M9i outperforms it slightly, but it's a $20 cooler. Not worth it even with MIR. It's loud and brings a bad fan.

I have my eyes on the Scythe Fuma, but if you want to pay $10 less look into the Cryorig H7, BeQuiet! Pure Rock, and the Artic Cooling i32

Artic Cooling i32 beats it in performance and the last time I checked it was about the same price.
Thanks!

Pacotez

Then the difference is only 30 from 470 8gb to 480 8gb. I say go 8gb.

8GB. 4GB is a joke. 6GB should be the absolute minimum. Even if you're just playing at 1080p there are some games that will easily use that 4GB up.

Thanks! I will take your advice and go for the 8GB

Are you considering other brands? You can get a 480 8GB around the price of a 470 8GB with MIR, like a MSI 480 8GB Gaming X

What does MIR stand for?
The cheapest 480 8GB (red devil and XFX) and some 480 4GB goes for $35 more than the sapphire 470 8GB. Around the Sap. 470 8GB price I can get 470 4GB red devil and xfx 480 4GB and galax 1060 3GB . All the other 470 4GB costs pretty much the same as the 4GB sapphire

is it worth it to get a 4k monitor even if i wont be able to game on it? gpu not strong enough and have an xbox one. the price is really good and figured it will come in handy when i upgrade my console or pc

im looking at the samsung ue590. saving $350 on the price

vector824

PC Gaf
Would you rather buy 1 stick of 8gb DD4 on a mini itx board in hope of a future upgrade or buy two sticks of 4gb?

DDR4 is decently fast. I'm currently running one 8gb stick in my ATX board for the same reason. I'd go 8gb now and save your slot.

is it worth it to get a 4k monitor even if i wont be able to game on it? gpu not strong enough and have an xbox one. the price is really good and figured it will come in handy when i upgrade my console or pc

im looking at the samsung ue590. saving $350 on the price

Wait until 4K HDR monitors release, get a deal on one of those and upgrade your GPU. The 23" is going for $300 on amazon right now so how are you saving $350?

DDR4 is decently fast. I'm currently running one 8gb stick in my ATX board for the same reason. I'd go 8gb now and save your slot.

Wait until 4K HDR monitors release, get a deal on one of those and upgrade your GPU. The 23" is going for $300 on amazon right now so how are you saving $350?

canadian price and 28".

original is $600, getting it for $250 tax in

Duress

I still need something to mount my ssd. I have the mounting frame but I still need something to hold it in place. I used to have these two pieces you put on the sides of the hdd and you push inito the compartment, and it'd snap into place but I can't find those. Screwing them in isn't an option. -_-

I still need something to mount my ssd. I have the mounting frame but I still need something to hold it in place. I used to have these two pieces you put on the sides of the hdd and you push inito the compartment, and it'd snap into place but I can't find those. Screwing them in isn't an option. -_-

Just use double-sided tape and place it anywhere you want inside the case.

e90Mark

So that works? Just plugging it into an adapter and into a 3.5mm at the back? It'll give me the virtual surround sound? I am super clueless when it comes to audio stuff.

And thanks, I figured as much. I'm loving how quiet the thing is but yeah, I'd quite like to have more room to work with. I think I'll pick up a new case, mobo and PSU in a couple months and move the parts over.

The mixamp is what gives you the virtual surround. The adapter will allow you to connect to your audio source (PC), without getting a sound card, since its toslink only.

so.. I asked EVGA for an Advanced RMA for my GTX 1070 FTW, and apparently I have to send a payment as collateral (for the cross shipping) so the can send the replacement. EVGA is going to hold 469.99€ from my credit card (or Paypal..), which I refuse. I guess I'll try to return the card to Amazon first and I will be buying a new card from other manufacturer.

I understand this measure, but I'm sorry I won't allow them to hold 470€ from my credit card in order to replace a faulty product they sold on purpose.

so.. I asked EVGA for an Advanced RMA for my GTX 1070 FTW, and apparently I have to send a payment as collateral (for the cross shipping) so the can send the replacement. EVGA is going to hold 469.99€ from my credit card (or Paypal..), which I refuse. I guess I'll try to return the card to Amazon first and I will be buying a new card from other manufacturer.

I understand this measure, but I'm sorry I won't allow them to hold 470€ from my credit card in order to replace a faulty product they sold on purpose.

Re: the bold, presumably that's only because you're doing a cross-shipping RMA. I imagine if you do a standard RMA (i.e. ship it to them, they check it out, ship it/a new one back) there wouldn't be a problem.

Not as convenient, though.

drotahorror

Just wanted to post this here cuz it looks pretty nutty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5651&cm_re=Lenovo_y910-_-83-795-651-_-Product

Never seen a form factor like that with such nice specs

i7 and a 1070.

R3nqYhp.jpg

The Argus

The palit game rock (=gainward phoenix) offers a lot of performance for it's price. It's a huge and heavy card with a massive cooler. It offers a very good factory OC and good further oc capabilities. It's a bit louder then other cards though.

The MSI gtx 1070 gaming X 8g (my choice) should boost to ~1950mhz, but you can easily bring it up to ~2050mhz without problems.
It's also very quiet, even if you increase the fan speed. It's a good card and you should be able to find one for about $430 with watch dogs 2 included.

A reasonable alternative is the Asus gtx 1070 strix. Nothing wrong here. Good clocks, good cooling.

EVGA cards had many problems lately due to overheating voltage Controllers. Apparently a bios update fixed that by increasing fan speed, but that also increased the noise. Newer cards should come with preapplied thermal pads, but I still think it's best to skip EVGA this time around.

Gigabyte was a bit disappointing this time around too (best 9xx cards imo). The gigabyte 1070 g1 is power limited, because they only build in one 8 pin connector. STILL if you don't want to oc yourself you won't run into power limitations and it should also boost to about 1900+ mhz on factory settings.
Later gigabyte realesed the gaming 1070 xtreme which may be one of the best 1070s out there again, but for a premium price (at least in Europe the card is ~70€ more expensive then the competition).

Zotacs amp extreme cards also seem to hold up this time around.

Awesome. This is what I wanted to see. Thank you so much for this!

Mozendo

What does MIR stand for?
The cheapest 480 8GB (red devil and XFX) and some 480 4GB goes for $35 more than the sapphire 470 8GB. Around the Sap. 470 8GB price I can get 470 4GB red devil and xfx 480 4GB and galax 1060 3GB . All the other 470 4GB costs pretty much the same as the 4GB sapphire

Mail-In Rebate

ParityBit

Quick question. I got my 1070 today and tried to run ULTRA in Gears 4. It appears that I am capped at 60fps.

How can I best test this puppy out?

Hey guys! Question, I just got a 4k TV and the old 15 ft cable I use to use to connect my PC to my 1080p TV doesn't seem good enough for 4k. A lot of artifacting and drops when I use it, even though it claims to be 4k ready.

Could someone point me to a 10 or 15 foot cable that will definitely work with no issues? Preferably on amazon.ca or another Canadian site? I want it for 4k/60/hdr, the whole shebang.

Edit: I assume This is good?

ParityBit

I picked up a 1070 but I did not get anything for the free game. Any way to get it somehow? I forgot what the game was.

Edit: I got it from Amazon .... not sure if that matters?

So I bought a Zotac 1070 (new) from newegg eBay and uhhh I'm getting this on Mankind Divided:

Stock clocking, temperature doesn't go above 60 C or so. Is my card defective?

EDIT: Overwatch caps at 40 fps, something's definitely wrong here...

ParityBit

I got a free game with a 1070 purchased from Amazon (Gears 4). The code came in a separate email from them.

I did not get an email. I do not think there was any promotion, so it figures!

What are the goto benchmark tools for my system? I think I want to check everything out before I get into the whole "over clock" thing with the mobo/cpu.

Nete

I've just mounted a new PC (new motherboard-cpu-case actually) after a gazillion years, and I'm in the process of reinstalling everything and so. But there's one thing it's annoying me:

bcf9050b2faf9dc191ea76359936020d.gif

Why is this happening/how to fix it? Drivers of both, graphic card an monitor, are already installed. And as far as I know, everything is working as it should.

Windows 7.

I've just mounted a new PC (new motherboard-cpu-case actually) after a gazillion years, and I'm in the process of reinstalling everything and so. But there's one thing it's annoying me:

Why is this happening/how to fix it? Drivers of both, graphic card an monitor, are already installed. And as far as I know, everything is working as it should.

Windows 7.

Are you using the Aero theme?

Nete

Are you using the Aero theme?

Nope. And seems is related to that. Activating Aero fixes it, so I guess is one of the various options you can mess with on the themes. Time to test each one of them :p... or just disable the annoying things of Aero.

Thanks!

Mupod

Put my black friday PC together yesterday on my day off. My harebrained scheme of using the old windows 7 32-bit key I've had lying around since 2010, upgrading it to 10, and then doing a clean install of 64-bit worked with some minor weirdness encountered along the way. The hiccup came after the first windows 10 upgrade, near as I can tell it really didn't like me creating a bootable USB drive to do the clean install while it was doing said upgrade. It fucked the entire OS into an unrecoverable state, and when I tried booting off the USB it said something about how the upgrade had been interrupted midway through. Yet if I tried to do a clean install off the USB it would fail with a message about drivers...turns out that was just because I had the motherboard CD in the drive. Anyways, reinstalling and doing the upgrade again didn't take long. It's more that I've done a Windows 10 upgrade/reinstall about 85 times at this point at work, so I was surprised to see a way for it to go wrong that I hadn't before.

Anyways, build went well. The Enthoo Pro fits the Corsair 115i so well that mounting it took almost no effort, and I was able to easily adjust it mid-build when I ran into some issues getting the CPU power cable in there. Hardest part of the whole thing was getting that goddamn IO shield in.

I went Asus for the motherboard this time, Maximus VIII Hero. I'd always gone for the more budget-minded motherboards in the past, hell my last Gigabyte still had the oldschool BIOS. So this thing's UEFI is something else. My roommate has the previous version of the motherboard so he thankfully was able to help me get a basic overclock up and running, but man there's just a sea of options in that thing.

drotahorror

Anyways, reinstalling and doing the upgrade again didn't take long. It's more that I've done a Windows 10 upgrade/reinstall about 85 times at this point at work, so I was surprised to see a way for it to go wrong that I hadn't before.

That's weird. Did you have boot priority set to USB as the first device? I would assume so, just strange though.

Fresh W10 is the way to go though, I'd rather upgrade and then fresh install W10 than deal with the issues I've had (and I think others still have) then used the upgraded one.

Sullichin

New PC build booted on first try <3 <3
Feels good!

Is there a good program to test SSD read/write speeds? What type of results should I be getting from an m.2 SSD?

Edit: also I have an email to Jet to get watch dogs 2 with my 1080. Hope I get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom