• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

That's weird. Did you have boot priority set to USB as the first device? I would assume so, just strange though.

Fresh W10 is the way to go though, I'd rather upgrade and then fresh install W10 than deal with the issues I've had (and I think others still have) then used the upgraded one.

Of course. But I had to claim the license first as it was a new PC and I had no inclination to buy Windows 10 when I still have valid Windows 7 keys lying around. You can claim a license on 32-bit and a fresh install of 64-bit will activate on that machine any time afterwards (which is what I did).

As for boot priority, this motherboard seems to do it 'intelligently'. It detects partitions with a bootable OS and puts it at the top of the list. I'm guessing whatever state the Windows install was in while it was rebooting to upgrade to Windows 10 might have confused it and caused whatever happened. Not sure, and it doesn't really matter, just amused that I can still be surprised after all these installs.

ParityBit

New PC build booted on first try <3 <3
Feels good!

Is there a good program to test SSD read/write speeds? What type of results should I be getting from an m.2 SSD?

Edit: also I have an email to Jet to get watch dogs 2 with my 1080. Hope I get it

What did you tell Jet? I was thinking of pinging Amazon because all the other sites getting the free game. Doesn't hurt :) I expect to be shot down though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
IF Amazon doesn't honor the free code, complain loudly. I didn't get my GoW4 code with my 1070 so they refunded me $60.

Sullichin

What did you tell Jet? I was thinking of pinging Amazon because all the other sites getting the free game. Doesn't hurt :) I expect to be shot down though.

I got a response back quickly from Jet and the guy was really nice but said:

From time to time, we run into promotions like this where members order a graphics card but don't get the game that is being advertised with an online promotion. In situations like this, Jet cannot honor the promotion since we didn't specifically offer it, but I would definitely recommend checking with Nvida, explaining that you bought the graphics card through Jet and asking if they can get you the promo code from them. In the event that this is not possible, keep in mind that you can definitely send the card back to us for a refund within 30 days of receiving it. I understand if you need to place an order somewhere else to take advantage of the cool promo.

So, have to contact Nvidia, but I doubt they will be as helpful.

z3phon

Have there been any reports of issues with the Evga gtx 1080 FTW hybrid?
Just ordered one from their website. As far as I know the issues with the standard FTW only right?
Does anyone here own one of the hybrid cards, how do you like it?

Mozendo

So, have to contact Nvidia, but I doubt they will be as helpful.

I went to Nvidia after Newegg told me that I didn't apply for their free Watch_Dogs when I bought a GTX 770. Spoke to 2 customer service representatives and they told me that they couldn't give me the codes (they weren't authorized or something) and to bother newegg.
Hopefully they can give out codes now if they didnt lie to me

Sullichin

I will do this tonight. I will open a chat with them and see what is up. I will let you guys know! (If you care) Heh

I went to Nvidia after Newegg told me that I didn't apply for their free Watch_Dogs when I bought a GTX 770. Spoke to 2 customer service representatives and they told me that they couldn't give me the codes (they weren't authorized or something) and to bother newegg.
Hopefully they can give out codes now if they didnt lie to me

Heard back from Nvidia :/

I understand from your email that you have not received the Watch Dogs 2 game code

Thank you very much for your interest in our product line. The game codes are given away by the seller and not all sellers are part of

this promotional offer, please check the link below on that page shows the sellers who are part of this offer

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

Oh well :(

Have there been any reports of issues with the Evga gtx 1080 FTW hybrid?
Just ordered one from their website. As far as I know the issues with the standard FTW only right?
Does anyone here own one of the hybrid cards, how do you like it?

I have a EVGA GTX 1080 FTW. There should be no more issues with the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW anymore. What I am referring to is this. I personally like my card alot and have no problems with it.

Bread

Banned
XFX says their supply of Civ6 keys through newegg is exhausted, think it's possible to go to customer service and get a key?

Quick question if that's alright, folks. Literally have everything in the Amazon shopping card ready to pull the trigger. (Bought the CPU already - I7 6700K.)

Will that video card fit into that case? It looks as if this 1070's a little more sizable given the fans. Liking the simple black case with the clear opening on the side to see the innards. Any other thoughts are welcome, of course.

As long as you don't place the GPU down low, it'll be fine. Its 286mm long, while the case's cited GPU length is:
Top Slots: 414mm
Lower Slots: 275mm

Quick question if that's alright, folks. Literally have everything in the Amazon shopping card ready to pull the trigger. (Bought the CPU already - I7 6700K.)

Will that video card fit into that case? It looks as if this 1070's a little more sizable given the fans. Liking the simple black case with the clear opening on the side to see the innards. Any other thoughts are welcome, of course.
I'm not sure how move-able the lower drive cage is, but according to pcpartpicker the GPU is going to block off some of the drive cages.
The Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 414mm long, but video cards over 275mm may block drive bays. Since the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card is 280mm long, some drive bays may not be usable.

kuYuri

When ordering GPUs and such that offer free games, if a retailer doesn't advertise it somewhere on their site, it's best not to assume that they will give you a game code for the promotion. Always double check before ordering.

Thanks for the replies!

Ah, damn. Might not risk it so. I'll try and look for a similar case.
Actually as Jonny mentioned it should work out as long as you mount it in the higher slot. I watched a video to check it out and judging by the space in the top slot it should work. I guess pcpartpicker just has it listed in-case somebody is doing SLI or some such.
https://youtu.be/v5Rk3EMi6r4?t=219

Although as an alternative larger case I'd consider the 350D which looks to avoid the clearance issue and also comes with two fans instead of the one present in the 100R.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BWLL9MY/

Unkle

Actually as Jonny mentioned it should work out as long as you mount it in the higher slot. I watched a video to check it out and judging by the space in the top slot it should work. I guess pcpartpicker just has it listed in-case somebody is doing SLI or some such.
https://youtu.be/v5Rk3EMi6r4?t=219

Although as an alternative larger case I'd consider the 350D which looks to avoid the clearance issue and also comes with two fans instead of the one present in the 100R.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BWLL9MY/

Oooh, I like that case you've linked. Since that's got two fans is it still a good shout getting that Hyper 212 Evo? I don't plan on overclocking, I don't think, (though, as I learn more I might).

I've just mounted a new PC (new motherboard-cpu-case actually) after a gazillion years, and I'm in the process of reinstalling everything and so. But there's one thing it's annoying me:

bcf9050b2faf9dc191ea76359936020d.gif

Why is this happening/how to fix it? Drivers of both, graphic card an monitor, are already installed. And as far as I know, everything is working as it should.

Windows 7.

Doesn't this just always happen in Windows one of your programs decides to crash in a particularly annoying way? Is it a constant occurrence or something?

Oooh, I like that case you've linked. Since that's got two fans is it still a good shout getting that Hyper 212 Evo? I don't plan on overclocking, I don't think, (though, as I learn more I might).

Might as well grab it. Leaves you with the option to play around in future, dip your toes when you're comfortable. At the very least, a decent cooler is always a good thing.

z3phon

I have a EVGA GTX 1080 FTW. There should be no more issues with the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW anymore. What I am referring to is this. I personally like my card alot and have no problems with it.
I applied the thermal pads and the bios update on my 1080 FTW but I'm still within the time to be able to exchange it from the store, so I plan on exchanging it with the Asus Strix or MSI Gaming x with the intention of selling it unopened. I'll be using that money to buy the FTW Hybrid since that doesn't seem to have any known issues. My only reason for changing the 1080 FTW is just incase it the whole issue thing could make reselling it harder for me.

Doesn't this just always happen in Windows one of your programs decides to crash in a particularly annoying way? Is it a constant occurrence or something?

No. It's because without Aero in Windows 7, it uses the legacy Windows rendering engine, which, among other things, results in UI effects like the above. You're probably thinking back to the old Windows XP and previous days.

I recently got a KS8000 and paired it with my PC as a monitor. The GPU I've got, the R9 280x, only has an HDMI 1.4 port on it.
According to some posts I've seen on reddit, I should be able to at least do 1440p@60hz -- however, when I go to display adapter modes, any resolution over 1080p has a max of 30hz.

The other issue that's driving me insane is the resolution. The native resolution of the TV is 4096x2160 (1.9:1). Since I'm limited to 24hz in this mode, I decided to go for 1440p@30hz instead. When choosing 2560x1440 (1.78:1 aka 16:9) from the control panel, I get black bars on the side of the screen. If I go through "Display All Modes" in adapter settings, choosing 2560x1440 covers the entire screen as I want it to (judge). Could someone please explain what exactly is going on? I've "fixed" this, but I want to know why the same resolution appears differently depending on where I choose it from.

I've heard the cable doesn't play a big role, but if it helps, I'm using an Amazon Basics one which says it supports the latest standard. I bought it within the last month.

Thanks.

shanafan

I received my Dell S2417DG today, and love it. Already an upgrade with 1440p over my prior 1080p monitor.

So, I just want to make sure I am correct in thinking this.

I have a GeForce GTX 1070 and that monitor, which has G Sync. I have played Infinite Warfare and MW Remastered so far, and with Sync Every Frame turned off and on, and with 144 hz set as my refresh rate, my two games so far run at 90 FPS - smooth. G Sync mode is enabled on my monitor in the menu settings.

Should I be getting a higher framerate than that? I thought with 144 hz refresh rate, my frame rate should run around there.

kuYuri

I received my Dell S2417DG today, and love it. Already an upgrade with 1440p over my prior 1080p monitor.

So, I just want to make sure I am correct in thinking this.

I have a GeForce GTX 1070 and that monitor, which has G Sync. I have played Infinite Warfare and MW Remastered so far, and with Sync Every Frame turned off and on, and with 144 hz set as my refresh rate, my two games so far run at 90 FPS - smooth. G Sync mode is enabled on my monitor in the menu settings.

Should I be getting a higher framerate than that? I thought with 144 hz refresh rate, my frame rate should run around there.

Are you playing multiplayer? Both games have 91fps caps in MP, but unlocked in SP. If a game has a hard cap on the framerate that is below 144fps, it doesn't matter how high of a refresh rate your monitor has.

You need to test out other games or benchmarks to see your framerate potentially go higher.

No. It's because without Aero in Windows 7, it uses the legacy Windows rendering engine, which, among other things, results in UI effects like the above. You're probably thinking back to the old Windows XP and previous days.

...okay, but he is running Windows 7 and it doesn't look like Aero is enabled.

shanafan

Are you playing multiplayer? Both games have 91fps caps in MP, but unlocked in SP. If a game has a hard cap on the framerate that is below 144fps, it doesn't matter how high of a refresh rate your monitor has.

You need to test out other games or benchmarks to see your framerate potentially go higher.

Thanks. I just loaded up Black Ops 2, and its running at 144 frames per second. So to your point, those two newer games have a cap. All good then!

I've build a very quiet iTX form factor PC but the HDD noise is really getting to me. In the small case it almost sounds like a fan working as the plates are constantly spinning.

I want to get a 1TB SSD. Anyone have any recommendations for some good deals right now? I know I probably missed some during black friday and Cyber Monday. I have a 500gb Samsung Evo that I run my OS off of but for the 1tb where I will be storing mostly games, im open to any reliable brand/

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've build a very quiet iTX form factor PC but the HDD noise is really getting to me. In the small case it almost sounds like a fan working as the plates are constantly spinning.

I want to get a 1TB SSD. Anyone have any recommendations for some good deals right now? I know I probably missed some during black friday and Cyber Monday. I have a 500gb Samsung Evo that I run my OS off of but for the 1tb where I will be storing mostly games, im open to any reliable brand/

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRFFAS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

tim.mbp

My first build went fairly smoothly. Man, latching the CPU is pretty stressful. I watched a couple build videos on YouTube beforehand and even then wasn't really prepared for the bit of tension or creaking.

I made one face palming mistake, I was flipping the switch on the PSU and wondering why it wasn't starting, after checking everything and re-seating all the cables and components, it hit me that I wasn't using the power switch on the front of the case. Felt so stupid.

Thank you. I saw that but it's too pricy for me right now. Maybe I'll wait a couple of months. I was waiting for the new Samsung M.2 drives but those things run so hot, especially if I put it underneath an ITX MB.

As far as my budget, I blew whatever I had left on a full CPU/GPU water cooling setup

For the SSD, I was hoping to spend around $200

Celcius

°Temp. member
Thank you. I saw that but it's too pricy for me right now. Maybe I'll wait a couple of months. I was waiting for the new Samsung M.2 drives but those things run so hot, especially if I put it underneath an ITX MB.

As far as my budget, I blew whatever I had left on a full CPU/GPU water cooling setup

For the SSD, I was hoping to spend around $200

Here's a 1TB Crucial MX300 for $220: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IAGSDUE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sullichin

Thanks! I was unzipping some drivers for my motherboard and it was going really slow, so I got a little paranoid. It's been good since

When ordering GPUs and such that offer free games, if a retailer doesn't advertise it somewhere on their site, it's best not to assume that they will give you a game code for the promotion. Always double check before ordering.

Yeah for sure. I just thought Jet had a good deal on the card I got and thought I would see if I could get in on the promotion after the fact.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This isn't really the right place, but what would be a good HDMI Switch for me to use? I need something that works right with HDMI 2.0. My TV only has a single HDMI 2.0 port, and the others are 1.4 ports. I recently bought a PS4 Pro, so I now I have two devices I want to hook to the single port, the PS4 and my PC. While I don't use my PC at 4k Very much, even at 1080p everything just feels off when its plugged into another port, despite putting all the settings the same. And the PS4 Pro don't support a HDMI 1.4 at 4k it seems (Maybe there is just something odd with my TV, because it feels like it should work).

Long story short, I want an HDMI Switch I can use to put both on the same port that supports HDMI 2.0 or above.

zoozilla

In a cruel twist of fate, I have every component I need to start building my PC....except a keyboard.

Everything shipped in one package except the keyboard, which is coming in a few days.

I guess I could get a cheap one from a store and use that for now, but I don't know if it's worth it...

Argh, why!?

I suppose I could at least put all the components together and make sure it boots, right?

Sullichin

In a cruel twist of fate, I have every component I need to start building my PC....except a keyboard.

Everything shipped in one package except the keyboard, which is coming in a few days.

I guess I could get a cheap one from a store and use that for now, but I don't know if it's worth it...

Argh, why!?

I suppose I could at least put all the components together and make sure it boots, right?
You can just stick your fingers in the USB port and use your mind to control everything.

Celcius

°Temp. member
For those of you using M.2 drives like a Samsung 950/960 Pro, has heat been an issue? (the ssd throttling if it gets too hot)
Would you be better off with a Sata3 drive instead of an M.2 drive if you plan on using a videocard with a non-reference cooler that dumps heat into the case?

Bloodember

For those of you using M.2 drives like a Samsung 950/960 Pro, has heat been an issue? (the ssd throttling if it gets too hot)
Would you be better off with a Sata3 drive instead of an M.2 drive if you plan on using a videocard with a non-reference cooler that dumps heat into the case?

I have a Samsung 850 Evo M.2 drive and it runs at 35-40 degrees Celsius most of the time. Haven't had any throttling. Just make sure you have good cooling in your case. My m.2 drive is located on the back side of the motherboard.

J_Viper

So I'm looking to buy a new HDD for my PC for the first time

This one seems alright (I'm on a budget), but the reviews claim it's missing SATA cables.

Are those necessary for installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom