• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Def Jukie

There are no 970s with 2gb. They all are 3.5+0.5. Are you talking about a 960?

A 1070 is about 50% faster then a 970. So that's a reasonable upgrade, if you ask me. But to be absolutely honest here, you will run into CPU bottlenecks with your current CPU. I switched from an overclocked 3570k to a skylake cpu this March and the difference was huge (gpu was a 980). It felt like a gpu upgrade especially in open world games like witcher 3, GTA 5 and JC3 (about +20-30fps). Newer games are also extremely cpu demanding like bf1 or watch dogs 2, my 6700k seems to have a lot to do there.

Long story short: you'll need a new cpu too. But it's not a good time to buy one now with zen and kabylake releasing in a couple of months. So don't invest in another 8gb of old ddr3 ram which you can't use in a new build. Get a 1070 now and reuse it once new amd and intel cpus come out in 2017. Also overclock your current i5. You paid the premium for a k model, use it.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I typed 970, I meant 670. I think I'll order a 1070 and get a new processor/motherboard next year.

e90Mark

I've just picked up a Dell XPS 8910 and got it all plugged in. I've realised though, that in its curret state, it has no optical port... My Astro A40's go through a mixamp which I connect via an optical cable.

What do I need to do to connect it and still get the SPDIF connection or whatever it's called?

This is the manual, ports shown on page 14: http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/a...op/xps-8910-desktop_reference guide_en-us.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another question regarding this PC. It came with a 460W PSU which seems pretty low to me. I'm guessing there's little, if no room for OC'ing the GPU (GTX 1080) or CPU (i7 6700K)?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MQGRM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There's literally no room for OC'ing past what the parts will do on their own.

Anyone have the Corsair ML fans? Do they live up to the hype? Every review or video on youtube did not examine the actual noise levels and temps versus other fans.

hoserx

sorry for the stealth edit, i did the render test and it is now x4 3.0...

26e.png

im not using any other PCIe card, just this one.

I'd check your bios to see what it says it's running at next.

Sotha_Sil

Took me wayyy too long, but I finished building last night. I was relieved when it finally powered on and bios recognized everything. Windows install was a breeze.

I'm a little concerned my CPU temps are high (38 C for a 6600k when in bios while mobo was much lower). The 212 installation was the hardest thing for me to do, I will monitor temps closely these first few days.

Only problem is the SSD/HDD split. I installed windows to the SSD. Bios and some function in control panel (can't remember it right now, on mobile) recognize the HDD, but I can't seem to actually save anything to it, or bring it up in explorer. I'm going to put open world games like Skyrim and Witcher e on the SSD, but others should go to the HDD. Right now, it doesnt seem to be an option for Steam or GOG.

I downloaded Skyrim vanilla on Steam since it was one of the smaller game files. Coming from the PS3 version, holy shit. Everything is maxed and running perfectly.... what a game changer. The Viewsonic XG2401 screen looks great. I was worried after the many online complaints against TN panels, but it's crystal clear, bright, and the colors look great. Can't recommend it enough.

Took me wayyy too long, but I finished building last night. I was relieved when it finally powered on and bios recognized everything. Windows install was a breeze.

I'm a little concerned my CPU temps are high (38 C for a 6600k when in bios while mobo was much lower). The 212 installation was the hardest thing for me to do, I will monitor temps closely these first few days.

Only problem is the SSD/HDD split. I installed windows to the SSD. Bios and some function in control panel (can't remember it right now, on mobile) recognize the HDD, but I can't seem to actually save anything to it, or bring it up in explorer. I'm going to put open world games like Skyrim and Witcher e on the SSD, but others should go to the HDD. Right now, it doesnt seem to be an option for Steam or GOG.

I downloaded Skyrim vanilla on Steam since it was one of the smaller game files. Coming from the PS3 version, holy shit. Everything is maxed and running perfectly.... what a game changer. The Viewsonic XG2401 screen looks great. I was worried after the many online complaints against TN panels, but it's crystal clear, bright, and the colors look great. Can't recommend it enough.

Open Disk Management in Windows and format the HDD.

desmax

gaf, help.

I installed a new motherboard, but when I turn the pc on it stays on for a minute, then it shuts down, and then it boots up again. Also I'm not hearing any sound from the bios.

The first time I've turned it on, smoke came out from the frontal usb, so I am pretty worried.

All the led's turn on, and the cpu fan works too

So, I went in and put my old PC back. The first time I tried to turn on that PC I had my 1060 plugged in, but I removed it soon after.

Everything's working (When I turn it on, the name "PNY 1060 gtx" shows up on screen before the bios splash logo, and I have the video signal coming through it), but I'm having trouble updating it's drivers.

Every time I try to update (Even through Geforce Experience), it gives me a "This driver is not supported with this version of windows" error.

I just made a clean install of Windows 10 64 bits; I'm going to try updating my windows 10, would that be the right thing to do?

desmax

update: Installing the W10 birthday update worked
The update itself made windows recognize my vga, so that's cool.

Drivers installed, gonna use 3D Mark to stress it up a bit, see if there's anything wrong

ISee

On this note, I have thought about overclocking my chip. I have a i7-3770K @ 3.5 and a H100. I just never actually tried. I suppose my CPU is still more than adequate? I also have 16GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

You think it is worth trying to OC? I have never done it before.

Old i7s (2600/3770) hold up very well, especially when overclocked (way better then their i5 brothers). So yeah go for it :)

I have a ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 mobo. Should I use the tools that come with that?

Are you talking about auto overclocking? Yeah it will overclock but it will normally also apply way more voltage than needed. Doing it manually is always the more smooth and recommended solution.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I typed 970, I meant 670. I think I'll order a 1070 and get a new processor/motherboard next year.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. :)

ParityBit

Old i7s (2600/3770) hold up very well, especially when overclocked (way better then their i5 brothers). So yeah go for it :)

Are you talking about auto overclocking? Yeah it will overclock but it will normally also apply way more voltage than needed. Doing it manually is always the more smooth and recommended solution.

Is there a quick and easy guide to manual overclocking? I was planning on just doing it though the auto overclock ... but that I guess is not the way you want to do it?

I would rather not fry my chip/mobo!

Would it be at all possible to get a CPU and motherboard for like, $100-150 new? Or is that just not enough for anything worth using? I'd be upgrading from a Phenom II x4 3.40GHz. I'm also running 8GB DDR3. Not sure if I should stick with DDR3 to avoid having to buy RAM, or just not bother upgrading until I have enough for CPU, motherboard, and some DDR4. (video card is a GTX 460 btw)

The PC is mainly used for Warcraft and indie games, though I was thinking about getting Killing Floor 2 (which runs on this system, just not great)

Would it be at all possible to get a CPU and motherboard for like, $100-150 new? Or is that just not enough for anything worth using? I'd be upgrading from a Phenom II x4 3.40GHz. I'm also running 8GB DDR3. Not sure if I should stick with DDR3 to avoid having to buy RAM, or just not bother upgrading until I have enough for CPU, motherboard, and some DDR4. (video card is a GTX 460 btw)

The PC is mainly used for Warcraft and indie games, though I was thinking about getting Killing Floor 2 (which runs on this system, just not great)

I think you're looking at closer to $200 (or a bit less) for an i3, mobo and ddr4 ram, which is what I would be looking at.

That video card is really old too. What are your options for saving up a bit more money? Maybe if you wait until January you'd be better off?

BraXzy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MQGRM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There's literally no room for OC'ing past what the parts will do on their own.

Indeed. A major drawback for buying cheap OEM PCs is that you're very much in the situation where upgrades are not a surefire thing. Certainly when they have bespoke parts, motherboards, PSUs etc.

So that works? Just plugging it into an adapter and into a 3.5mm at the back? It'll give me the virtual surround sound? I am super clueless when it comes to audio stuff.

And thanks, I figured as much. I'm loving how quiet the thing is but yeah, I'd quite like to have more room to work with. I think I'll pick up a new case, mobo and PSU in a couple months and move the parts over.

I think you're looking at closer to $200 (or a bit less) for an i3, mobo and ddr4 ram, which is what I would be looking at.

That video card is really old too. What are your options for saving up a bit more money? Maybe if you wait until January you'd be better off?

$200 might be doable, but if so it'll be around the beginning of the year.

iamblades

You could do something with a Pentium G4400 and 8GB of DDR4 and a decent budget H110M board for under 150, but mostly I agree with this:

The G4400 isn't all that much slower than an i3-6100, but it's probably worth the extra $40 or so for the multithreading alone IMO.

anyone? is the PSU good enough for this build? even if I had to overclock a little?

I would go for a better PSU. The EVGA G2 series won't be too much more (check out the 650W and 550W models).

Also you're gonna get suggestions of the Cryorig H2 cooler instead of the 212, though TBH I think for the price the 212 is still pretty good.

I would lean towards an Asus or Gigabyte motherboard personally.

Might be a dumb question, but here goes:

My case's power LED keeps blinking in unison with the mobo's blue (+) LED while the PC is on. Is that normal? My last build was six years ago and my mobo and case didn't have LEDs, so I'm not sure if I should be worrying.

I built it, turned it on to make sure it worked, installed Windows, then shut it off to work on cable management. When I came back to turn it on, it wouldn't boot, so I rechecked my connections thinking I might have made things too taut (and got rid of the fan splitter I was using, thinking that might have been the cause) and it turned on... thing is, I honestly don't remember this constant blinking, and I don't know if I just wasn't paying attention or what. It's fine right now, but like I said, I'm ignorant as to whether blinking mobo/case power LEDs are normal.

Fr0stTr0n

Banned
Might be a dumb question, but here goes:

My case's power LED keeps blinking in unison with the mobo's blue (+) LED while the PC is on. Is that normal? My last build was six years ago and my mobo and case didn't have LEDs, so I'm not sure if I should be worrying.

You plugged the POWER LED into the HDD activity header which most mobos now also have a built in HDD light

sn00zer

So just sorta realized I bought a fucking insane PC which I have literally never done (usually shoot for middle of the raod). Anything I can run to just blow out the graphics? Curently DL Watch Dogs 2 which came with it and some old steam games but outside of that no idea. (Last steam game I bought was around 2010)

So just sorta realized I bought a fucking insane PC which I have literally never done (usually shoot for middle of the raod). Anything I can run to just blow out the graphics? Curently DL Watch Dogs 2 which came with it and some old steam games but outside of that no idea.

I'm in the same boat.

I planned on playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Forza Horizon 3 on my new machine, but both are completely broken.

BraXzy

So just sorta realized I bought a fucking insane PC which I have literally never done (usually shoot for middle of the raod). Anything I can run to just blow out the graphics? Curently DL Watch Dogs 2 which came with it and some old steam games but outside of that no idea. (Last steam game I bought was around 2010)

Having just got a beast myself I was wondering what to play to put it through its paces.

I'd suggest: Battlefield 1 and or Battlefront. DOOM. The Witcher 3. Maybe Rise of the Tomb Raider? I've not actually tried it yet.

Sullichin

Whoops, posted this in the wrong thread before
Excited to build my new PC!

I went overboard. It's based on the one Jeff put together on GiantBomb. Upgrading from an i52500k/970 which is honestly still really good, so I wanted to splurge and get something awesome

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/87gstJ

(+ ~2.5TB SSD/HDD space from my current computer)

I just realized that none of my components had any free game promo offer. There's always some promo going on. Is there a free game promo for 1080s going around now I can take advantage of?

Celcius

°Temp. member

I'm in the same boat.

I planned on playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Forza Horizon 3 on my new machine, but both are completely broken.

Battlefield 1

The Argus

I'm looking to get a 1070, and stupid me has always bought reference cards.

What's currently the best aftermarket GTX 1070 under $450? I'd like factory OC and something better (quieter) than the blower 280X I have now. I know EVGA, MSI, and Zotac are named dropped a lot, they just all have tons of versions that all look the same.

Thank you PCGAF!

Instro

Maybe I hadn't noticed before, but AMD's Wattman seems like a piece of crap. I suppose it could be the new card itself(480) but somehow it had default settings such that the gpu fans were not turning on correctly to cool the card. Was not pleased to have to figure out why my PC was crashing under load. None the less Wattman itself seems overly confusing to use for what it is.

All right, so I'm in a situation I've never been in before: I need to place my current 1TB HDD in the new build, and I want all my data that's on it. This HDD has my old OS on it, and in my new build, I already installed a new version of Windows on an SSD.

Do I need to wipe the HDD (never done this) and transfer files manually from my external HDD backup back to the clean HDD? Barring OS stuff, of course. I'd appreciate a push in the right direction. The biggest files would be Steam game installations.

You plugged the POWER LED into the HDD activity header which most mobos now also have a built in HDD light
So it's nothing more than a slight annoyance, then. Thanks.

Niether of those games are broken I play both of those on my PC with no issues.

Well, they are for me. I've tested on 4 different machines, with a fresh install of Windows. G-Sync doesn't help.

You can't get rid of the constant stuttering. I've yet to see some footage of either game without these issues.

I bought a cheap 4k monitor that was on Slickdeals (99$ for 27 inch). It just looks so so so so so bad compared to the 5k iMac I use at work. I know I shouldn't complain because it was 99$ but I'm seriously thinking of returning it because it makes me want to bleach my eyes out. I've even tried calibrating it with a professional monitor calibrator.

What are some good high res monitors? Don't really care about hz and gsync because I just edit. Color accuracy is the most important. Ultrawides look so good but I'm afraid of losing pixel density

985boi

Whoops, posted this in the wrong thread before
Excited to build my new PC!

I went overboard. It's based on the one Jeff put together on GiantBomb. Upgrading from an i52500k/970 which is honestly still really good, so I wanted to splurge and get something awesome

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/87gstJ

(+ ~2.5TB SSD/HDD space from my current computer)

I just realized that none of my components had any free game promo offer. There's always some promo going on. Is there a free game promo for 1080s going around now I can take advantage of?

Watchdogs 2

Ganrob

Neo Member
I've just completed by new build and just wanted to drop a line of gratitude. Since I only put together a new build every 4 years or so I have to refresh my memory, especially in terms of parts selection. This thread, especially with all the well sorted information, helped immensely in making this an efficient process. The result is great! So thanks!

I went with pretty standard, affordable parts this time.

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
2x 8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W Vengeance LPX
Sapphire Radeon NITRON RX 480 8GB
Intel Core i7-6700K
NOCTUA nh-d9l CPU Fan
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Presonus FireStudio Project
KRK RP5 Speakers
+ some extra PCIe expansion cards

First two games are Rise of the Tomb Raider and Far Cry 4, which I've been saving for after the upgrade. RotTR looks amazing in DX12 all max with Very High Textures.

Finaika

Dishonored 2

Jimrpg

You could do something with a Pentium G4400 and 8GB of DDR4 and a decent budget H110M board for under 150, but mostly I agree with this:

The G4400 isn't all that much slower than an i3-6100, but it's probably worth the extra $40 or so for the multithreading alone IMO.

Im looking to do a Pentium G4400 for my backup system for my brother. I recently got a 1070 so I gave him my 970 but his CPU is really bottle necking him (10+ year celeron) and I don't really want to spend too much in making another brand new build.

I'm going to do a

H110 motherboard
8gb DDR4 Ram
Intel G4400
120gb SSD
Power
Case

For about AU$400 (about US$300)

This review says that G4400 is fine for most games.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-pentium-g4400-processor-review-skylake_179724

As I won't be running anything higher than 60fps I'm not too fussed. It runs GTA V, The Witcher 3, Dirt Rally as good as an i5-6600k + or - 5%. I know this is a games enthusisast forum, but I think a G4400 would be fine for casual gamers. The G4400 has 2 cores at 3.3Ghz and 2 threads. The i3 has 2 cores but with 4 threads. The i3 would be much better but it adds another AU$80 for me, and Id rather put that aside and save it for an i7 down the track. This build also lets me just take out the G4400 and put in the i7.

I've also used a G3250 at work for the last two years and it hasn't broken a sweat. It's a nice little CPU for the price.

Btw -

ISee

I'm looking to get a 1070, and stupid me has always bought reference cards.

What's currently the best aftermarket GTX 1070 under $450? I'd like factory OC and something better (quieter) than the blower 280X I have now. I know EVGA, MSI, and Zotac are named dropped a lot, they just all have tons of versions that all look the same.

Thank you PCGAF!

The palit game rock (=gainward phoenix) offers a lot of performance for it's price. It's a huge and heavy card with a massive cooler. It offers a very good factory OC and good further oc capabilities. It's a bit louder then other cards though.

The MSI gtx 1070 gaming X 8g (my choice) should boost to ~1950mhz, but you can easily bring it up to ~2050mhz without problems.
It's also very quiet, even if you increase the fan speed. It's a good card and you should be able to find one for about $430 with watch dogs 2 included.

A reasonable alternative is the Asus gtx 1070 strix. Nothing wrong here. Good clocks, good cooling.

EVGA cards had many problems lately due to overheating voltage Controllers. Apparently a bios update fixed that by increasing fan speed, but that also increased the noise. Newer cards should come with preapplied thermal pads, but I still think it's best to skip EVGA this time around.

Gigabyte was a bit disappointing this time around too (best 9xx cards imo). The gigabyte 1070 g1 is power limited, because they only build in one 8 pin connector. STILL if you don't want to oc yourself you won't run into power limitations and it should also boost to about 1900+ mhz on factory settings.
Later gigabyte realesed the gaming 1070 xtreme which may be one of the best 1070s out there again, but for a premium price (at least in Europe the card is ~70€ more expensive then the competition).

Zotacs amp extreme cards also seem to hold up this time around.

ISee

quick question, anyone know what a used 7950 is worth nowadays?

Not much. An amd 7950 hd is (more or less) a r9 280 with a slower clock speed and a bit worse cooling. It's also now nearly 5 years old. 60-75€ (+shipping) seems fair to me.

iamblades

Im looking to do a Pentium G4400 for my backup system for my brother. I recently got a 1070 so I gave him my 970 but his CPU is really bottle necking him (10+ year celeron) and I don't really want to spend too much in making another brand new build.

I'm going to do a

H110 motherboard
8gb DDR4 Ram
Intel G4400
120gb SSD
Power
Case

For about AU$400 (about US$300)

This review says that G4400 is fine for most games.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-pentium-g4400-processor-review-skylake_179724

As I won't be running anything higher than 60fps I'm not too fussed. It runs GTA V, The Witcher 3, Dirt Rally as good as an i5-6600k + or - 5%. I know this is a games enthusisast forum, but I think a G4400 would be fine for casual gamers. The G4400 has 2 cores at 3.3Ghz and 2 threads. The i3 has 2 cores but with 4 threads. The i3 would be much better but it adds another AU$80 for me, and Id rather put that aside and save it for an i7 down the track. This build also lets me just take out the G4400 and put in the i7.

I've also used a G3250 at work for the last two years and it hasn't broken a sweat. It's a nice little CPU for the price.

Btw -

That's basically what I did this year for a couple of my sister's kids for christmas. It should be plenty of CPU for most games, maybe something like CIV might make it work a little more, but for the stuff they play(CS:GO and Overwatch) it will be more than enough.

Mozendo

I'm just about to cave in and buy an R9 Fury.
AMD has gone about what half a year without announcing a 1070 competitor? Might as well jump for one right now since I can get it for $160
Edit: Im dumb whoops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom