• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help with my recent update to Windows 10 Anniversary.

When I did the Anniversary update on Windows 10, my computer completely loses its LAN connection, and since I don't have WIFI on my desktop, I don't have any internet at all.

I have updated the BIOS on my motherboard (ASUS P8Z77-V LK) and I've updated the Realtek PCIe driver (from the Asus's website, should I see if there's a newer one elsewhere?), neither of which did anything.

Last time this happened I just reverted the update and I've been on pre-anniversary ever since, but I want to get some Play Anywhere games working but I can't unless my computer is updated.

Is there anything else I can try? I honestly don't know what else there is I can do.

Did some more digging and couldn't find any solutions, so I decided to pick up an ethernet network card to try and see if that might work.

I went with an Intel one because I figured they probably have better driver support than my motherboards Realtek stuff.

ParityBit

Congrats, you should post up some pictures.

As long as you have the nvidia driver installed, check the nvidia control panel. Should have an option to enable gsync, though it's probably set already.

I would check the manufacturers site, might have a driver or suggestion or even firmware, possibly.

how do you guys post pics? I know you can not embed them, so what is the best way?

timnich

Newegg messed up my order and shipped me 1 stick of 16Gb ram and 2 sticks of 8Gb ram instead of 4x8Gb ram...can I still use the ram or do they all need to match?

Is there a huge benefit to having 32GB of ram vs 16 GB?

Bloodember

Newegg messed up my order and shipped me 1 stick of 16Gb ram and 2 sticks of 8Gb ram instead of 4x8Gb ram...can I still use the ram or do they all need to match?

Is there a huge benefit to having 32GB of ram vs 16 GB?
As long as the timings are the same and speed is the same you should be fine. I use 32gb of ram, don't really notice much difference than 16gb but it is future proof, for gaming anyway. But I use it for game development, that way I can have multiple programs running without running out of memory.

rrs

Saw that EVGA had b-stock GTX 970 SSCs for $150.
Is that a good deal?

Worth it for someone still on an i5 2500k currently running a Radeon 6870? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I haven't been following the scene since I helped build that PC whenever Sandy Bridge came out and was wondering if it'd make a good Christmas present for my younger brother. Obviously he'd be bottlenecked by the processor. Thanks for any input. :)
dunno about the deal part, it does seem fine to me; and the GPU will be fine for a 2500K

Overclocked i5s (2500k/3570k) are still viable in many games. The thing is, they are running at their limit in others, especially in many open world games. Spring of 2016 my old mobo died and I had to buy new stuff, at this point I was a bit annoyed because I was under the impression that my good old 3570k (4.3ghz) would be able to bring me through the next 2-3 years.
To make a long story short: I was shocked about the performance gain.

Just Cause 3, GTX 980, 3570k (4.3 ghz), 53fps
Just Cause 3, GTX 980, 6700k (4.3 ghz), 94 fps
Just Cause 3, GTX 980, 6600k (6700 without HTT, 4.3 ghz), ~ 88fps (sorry don't have the pic anymore).

That's of course an extreme example but games like Witcher 3 and GTA V also ran better (~30fps). That's huge in my opinion and I'm very much under the impression that it's about time to say goodbye to our old i5s.

Old i7s (2600k/3770k) seem to hold up a lot better. For example a 3770k can outperform a modern 6600k at stock clocks.

THAT said, I'd still go for a new build instead of buying a used 3770k. Just because they are still relatively expansive, old and you never know how reckless the previous owner was. Also: If your mb dies you'll be in trouble. It's getting harder and harder to find good mb with oc features for old cpus.
But kabylake (more or less higher clocked skylake, with better iGPUs) and (Ry)Zen are around the corner. Waiting for them before making a decision could be worthwhile. First Ryzen stuff looks promising but there are no game benchmarks yet besides a pointless 'look it can run BF1 at 4k/60 when paired with a Titan X (Pascal)'.

thanks for the info....SUPER helpful. Gonna wait and see like you said.

noomi

Someone had suggested a noctua dh15 on the previous page as a good replacement for the hyper 212 evo...

My god... the noctua is fucking massive... how on earth are you supposed to fir ram and even the GPU with that beast of a cooler :eek:

Someone had suggested a noctua dh15 on the previous page as a good replacement for the hyper 212 evo...

My god... the noctua is fucking massive... how on earth are you supposed to fir ram and even the GPU with that beast of a cooler :eek:

I went for the u14s and there's plenty of room left. Take a look at that model.

Either way Noctua gives a detailed listing of exactly what motherboards each cooler it produces is compatible with, and any notes/warnings.

Please state current router and usb wifi make and models. The issue could be the dongles.

Thanks for replying to my original post (pasted below).

My router: Netgear WNDR4500

Son's wifi usb: ASUS USB-N13 N300 USB 2.0 Wifi Adapter
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBN53/

I do see they make USB 3.0 wifi adapters. Not sure how much better they are than 2.0

ORIGINAL POST

Originally Posted by VeteranGamer

Folks... anyone have any experience with this? My son and daughter have USB wifi downstairs (the main PC and router are upstairs, about 50 feet away from them) and their download rates are atrocious. Like 1.5mbps from Steam, where I am 24mbps with a wired connection.

Apparently they can directly connect to this and the range / connection / download speeds should be improved. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC120...TGEAR+-+AC1200

I also see units like this (and outlet ones too)

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC750...range+extender

Well I took the plunge in order to try and solve my issue. Worst case scenario, it goes towards a new build that hopefully has some lasting power. Gonna swap out my current PSU and GPU (CORSAIR CMPSU-550VXU and GTX 760) with a EVGA G2 750W and a Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB. Got a new case and fan set as well (Fractal Define S, and a set of Corsair SP120 quiet's).

Just gonna pretend my bank balance is okay.

what was your problem? i have the same PSU and case. both are fantastic :)

Mupod

Has been posting in here quite a bit lately about some likely PSU-related issues.

I got the EVGA 850W P2 during my recent black friday build. Confidence in the power supply is worth the money, it's something I've learned to appreciate from running a pig 580 and later SLI 970s. 10 year warranty is cool too, will probably be able to re-use it for my next build down the line...didn't quite have faith in my old Antec from 2011.

Was nice to work with too. My new case permits facing the fan downwards, and the labelling on the PSU is designed for this. My first fully modular as well. Not many things are more annoying than having to re-do cable management after a cheap power supply fails. Have had to do this for my parents and brother many times because they live in places with shitty power and are never patient enough to wait for me to order them a quality PSU.

Baleoce

Lots and lots of sudden unexplained crashes that would reset my CPU overclock and sometimes underclock it too. CPU stress tests in OCCT were rock solid, no issues. Crashes mostly happened when GPU was under extreme load in either a game, or if I ran a GPU or PSU stress test in OCCT. Been looking for ages to find an answer and I didn't have spare parts to swap them out to test with, so I ended up just upgrading and hoping it works out, and if not they can just go towards a new build. Parts arrive on Saturday. When you say you have the parts, do you mean my current ones, or the ones I ordered? :)

Edit - Oh yeah you must mean the new ones, as I didn't even list my old case, derp xD That's great to hear.

I got the EVGA 850W P2 during my recent black friday build. Confidence in the power supply is worth the money, it's something I've learned to appreciate from running a pig 580 and later SLI 970s. 10 year warranty is cool too, will probably be able to re-use it for my next build down the line...didn't quite have faith in my old Antec from 2011.

I was going to opt for this one, as in the UK it's only £30 more than the model I opted for (750W G2), but some people said it'd be overkill for my needs, but I think the G2 will be sufficient for me anyway, at least according to the OP guide. I have no idea what idle power consumption is on larger Wattage PSU's and what that would amount to over the course of say a year (I think that was a concern for some? although a lot of these models have really good ECO settings nowadays), but yeah, the P2 looks like a really solid PSU.

Necrovex

Let's talk monitors. I got my original Asus 1920X1080 screen back in 2010. I'm not sure what would qualify as a good monitor these days. At least without breaking the bank. Are there any must haves monitor requirements for someone looking to play high quality video games on their future gaming rig? How much should I expect to invest on a monitor?

mkenyon

Banned
Let's talk monitors. I got my original Asus 1920X1080 screen back in 2010. I'm not sure what would qualify as a good monitor these days. At least without breaking the bank. Are there any must haves monitor requirements for someone looking to play high quality video games on their future gaming rig? How much should I expect to invest on a monitor?
IMO

Required: 120/144Hz+

Really nice to have: G-Sync/Freesync, 2560x1440

Above and beyond: VA Panel, Ultrawide
Thanks for replying to my original post (pasted below).

My router: Netgear WNDR4500

Son's wifi usb: ASUS USB-N13 N300 USB 2.0 Wifi Adapter
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBN53/

I do see they make USB 3.0 wifi adapters. Not sure how much better they are than 2.0
Thought about doing a wireless bridge? Have that at home right now, and I get a 1ms ping to the router with AC bandwidth. It was recommended to me by a few IT friends that specialize in networking.

kevin1025

Banned
Hello, all! So since it's Christmastime, I figured I'd look into beefing up my PC a little more. I'm looking to maybe add more RAM. Currently it's sitting at 8GB, and I'm looking to jump up to 16GB. Will I see any notable differences, and are there specific games that will take advantage of the higher memory amount?

I've heard that Hitman, Just Cause 3, Dishonored 2 and Forza Horizon 3 can eat up a good chunk (though I'm playing Horizon 3 with 8GB pretty well!).

Thanks!

rrs

Hello, all! So since it's Christmastime, I figured I'd look into beefing up my PC a little more. I'm looking to maybe add more RAM. Currently it's sitting at 8GB, and I'm looking to jump up to 16GB. Will I see any notable differences, and are there specific games that will take advantage of the higher memory amount?

I've heard that Hitman, Just Cause 3, Dishonored 2 and Forza Horizon 3 can eat up a good chunk (though I'm playing Horizon 3 with 8GB pretty well!).

Thanks!
I know Forza will take advantage of the RAM, but with the same ram speeds improvement will be just with games that use a lot of RAM

mkenyon

Banned
Is the Logitech G700s the best wireless gaming mouse? I have a G9x but I am debating cutting the cord.
G900 is there best one. I have it and I love it.
Both wrong...

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g403-prodigy-wireless-gaming-mouse

Major downside is that it's not an ambi grip, and the unevenness leads to a bit of a wonky lift off, and isn't the absolute best for fingertip/claw grips. You can still transition to a bit of fingertip for higher precision when needed, and it's definitely the best shape, size, sensor, and weight on the market for a wireless mouse.

The G Pro is the GOAT though. Seriously the best mouse ever designed. Perfection in basically every category.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/pro-gaming-mouse

Bloodember

The best mouse is a matter of opinion. Everyone is different in how they use it and hold it. Same goes for keyboards, matter if opinion.

catabarez

Both wrong...

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g403-prodigy-wireless-gaming-mouse

Major downside is that it's not an ambi grip, and the unevenness leads to a bit of a wonky lift off, and isn't the absolute best for fingertip/claw grips. You can still transition to a bit of fingertip for higher precision when needed, and it's definitely the best shape, size, sensor, and weight on the market for a wireless mouse.

The G Pro is the GOAT though. Seriously the best mouse ever designed. Perfection in basically every category.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/pro-gaming-mouse

It has the same wireless tech as a G900. It all really depends on whatyou're looking for.

mkenyon

Banned
The best mouse is a matter of opinion. Everyone is different in how they use it and hold it. Same goes for keyboards, matter if opinion.
Not really.

Sensors can be objectively measured (and is far and away the most important part). Low weight is objectively better. Switches can be objectively measured. Quality of materials can be objectively measured. Quality of firmware and software can be objectively measured.

Shapes can be a bit of an opinion to an extent, and people can have preferences for certain shapes, but those also can betray a fault in the person's use. There's also objectively downsides to each kind of shape.

There are some shapes that are objectively amazing, such as the ambi style on the G Pro and Zowie FK. Those mice allow for claw, fingertip, hybrid, and palm. Mice like the G402 and Deathadder (same kind of shape) allow for amazing palm grip, but fail a bit when it comes to a fingertip transition or ability to lift off. One shape is objectively better than the other.

The matter of opinion thing comes from someone getting a mouse, liking it, and decrying it their favorite mouse. This is, of course, in spite of lack of experience of different mice.

I'm not going to tip toe around it, so I'll just say it. People can certainly be entitled to enjoying and using an inferior mouse. The difference is that people should not be entitled to claiming that their inferior mouse is better than others, nor should they even recommend it. It's blatantly poor consumer advice. It's how we ended up with really bad mice for 10+ years with awful sensors.

If people want to get a mouse that just works and feels comfortable for them, that is absolutely their own perogative, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. It doesn't mean that they picked a good mouse though.
It has the same wireless tech as a G900. It all really depends on whatyou're looking for.
G900 is a cash grab with features that do nothing other than reduce overall control and usability. $150 for a mouse that is in most respects (weight/sensor/wireless) identical to the G403.

If you need a ton of buttons for MMOs or something, then one might be able to make a case for it. Even then, you're going to be better off with an MMO mouse that has more rational button placement.

ParityBit

Well I am not looking to make 1 million bucks in E-sports, but I would like to be competitive in some fashion when I play!

I was just thinking wireless because it would clean up wires (cats LOVE wires too)

Not really.

Sensors can be objectively measured (and is far and away the most important part). Low weight is objectively better. Switches can be objectively measured. Quality of materials can be objectively measured. Quality of firmware and software can be objectively measured.

Shapes can be a bit of an opinion to an extent, and people can have preferences for certain shapes, but those also can betray a fault in the person's use. There's also objectively downsides to each kind of shape.

There are some shapes that are objectively amazing, such as the ambi style on the G Pro and Zowie FK. Those mice allow for claw, fingertip, hybrid, and palm. Mice like the G402 and Deathadder (same kind of shape) allow for amazing palm grip, but fail a bit when it comes to a fingertip transition or ability to lift off. One shape is objectively better than the other.

The matter of opinion thing comes from someone getting a mouse, liking it, and decrying it their favorite mouse. This is, of course, in spite of lack of experience of different mice.

I'm not going to tip toe around it, so I'll just say it. People can certainly be entitled to enjoying and using an inferior mouse. The difference is that people should not be entitled to claiming that their inferior mouse is better than others, nor should they even recommend it. It's blatantly poor consumer advice. It's how we ended up with really bad mice for 10+ years with awful sensors.

If people want to get a mouse that just works and feels comfortable for them, that is absolutely their own perogative, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. It doesn't mean that they picked a good mouse though.

Well said.

Bloodember

Not really.

G900 is a cash grab with features that do nothing. $150 for a mouse that is in most respects inferior to the G403.

If you need a ton of buttons for MMOs or something, then one might be able to make a case for it. Even then, you're going to be better off with an MMO mouse that has more rational button placement.

That's true with sensors and switches, but if a person has issues with how it feels to them it's not a great mouse or keyboard to them, yes it may have the best sensor or keys in it but if a person can't stand using it it's not the greatest for that person. To me and most likely many others if I can't stand using it because of its shape, size, weight or what not its not the greatest.

mkenyon

Banned
That's true with sensors and switches, but if a person has issues with how it feels to them it's not a great mouse or keyboard to them, yes it may have the best sensor or keys in it but if a person can't stand using it it's not the greatest for that person. To me and most likely many others if I can't stand using it because of its shape, size, weight or what not its not the greatest.
I think I spoke to this point fairly well.

If people have an issue with a certain shape, then there's one of two things going on.

1) The shape is actually bad.

2) They have a fairly static way of using a mouse that happens to not work very well with that shape. This generally points out lack of ability, not to be a dick. And, I really am not being a dick here, because despite the G Pro being a better mouse than the G402. I still use a G402 most of the time because I rely heavily on a much lower sens than most people and palm 99% of the time. I'm also noticeably worse than almost everyone I play games with.

However, I can still use the G Pro very comfortably, and think it's a great mouse. So, in all instances I'm going to recommend that over the G402, since it is a better mouse. If someone has a requirement like me when they're tryharding, they typically don't ask for mice advice.

Man, I am at my wits end with this damn Anniversary Update!

I got the network card I ordered and installed it, and still no internet. And after that I wondered if it was just the ethernet ports, so I tried USB tethering my phone to my computer and it couldn't detect any internet there either.

So for now I guess I'll just stay on the older Win 10 version that still works. Won't be able to play any Windows store games (like Recore or Gears 4 that I was planning on getting), but at least I'll have internet and everything on Steam.

At this point the only thing I can think to do is to upgrade my mobo and CPU and just do a full reinstall of Windows 10. I don't want to do a full one now in case it still doesn't work and I deleted everything for nothing.

Bloodember

Man, I am at my wits end with this damn Anniversary Update!

I got the network card I ordered and installed it, and still no internet. And after that I wondered if it was just the ethernet ports, so I tried USB tethering my phone to my computer and it couldn't detect any internet there either.

So for now I guess I'll just stay on the older Win 10 version that still works. Won't be able to play any Windows store games (like Recore or Gears 4 that I was planning on getting), but at least I'll have internet and everything on Steam.

At this point the only thing I can think to do is to upgrade my mobo and CPU and just do a full reinstall of Windows 10. I don't want to do a full one now in case it still doesn't work and I deleted everything for nothing.
Have to made sure there was no proxy in your internet settings.

ParityBit

Any idea what the Steam sale is going to be like? I have a feeling I may be buying quite a .... few games.

I tried the Division and it seems pretty neat (That UI though is major overload).

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So it was an interesting evening after work! My 1080 came in and I decided to install it myself. I haven't installed a gpu since the GeForce 3 many years ago.

I remove my 970 no problem. Grab the new card and... wtf. It won't fit in the case. It's a full sized case but no dice. Turns out I had two hard drive cages in there. I've got no experience here and I didn't want to bother my brother with this shit. He does tech for a living so I try to be more than just another normie.

So with no experience I fully open my tower and disconnect my hard drives. I take them out, remove a big cage, and use the small cage to handle two of my drives. Now I've got plenty of room but no cage for my third drive.

I look up this scenario on the Internet as I'm sure I'm not the first dude to have this happen to him. On a forum I read that people will put a bed of foam on the bottom of the case. I try this and it works like a charm.

So I've got the card in, my drives taken care of, and plug her in and give her juice. It works! Rocking through a bunch of benchmarks and I'm very impressed. Not just in the card, but that I handled it mostly on my own.

It was a nerve wracking, but very worthwhile experience. Now even the prospect of installing RAM or, so help me, maybe even a motherboard and cpu one day isn't quite so scary.

Have to made sure there was no proxy in your internet settings.
Would the Win 10 Anniversary update add a proxy? Because the Internet works just fine when I roll the update back.

On the update it doesn't even register that there's a cable attached. Usually if the issue is Xfinity or my modem i get the yellow warning icon on the internet icon in the tray, but this update it's the red warning.

Pons

Neo Member
I've got no experience here and I didn't want to bother my brother with this shit. He does tech for a living so I try to be more than just another normie.

I applaud you good sir, but you did bother me with it since I had to float the idea of the removable drive bays. On that note, I wouldnt recommend doing a future motherboard yourself, they are more complicated then anything else with all the many hookups, usually cause motherboard documentation is missing/wrong or doesn't comply with what is on the motherboard itself. Documentation can be spotty and there is a lot to hook up.

Bloodember

Would the Win 10 Anniversary update add a proxy? Because the Internet works just fine when I roll the update back.

On the update it doesn't even register that there's a cable attached. Usually if the issue is Xfinity or my modem i get the yellow warning icon on the internet icon in the tray, but this update it's the red warning.

So you have a red x on the icon in the tray? Do you have any anti Virus, or firewalls installed? Have you tried to do a Windows Reset? it'll reinstall Windows but leave all your files.

On that note, I wouldnt recommend doing a future motherboard yourself, they are more complicated then anything else with all the many hookups, usually cause motherboard documentation is missing/wrong or doesn't comply with what is on the motherboard itself. Documentation can be spotty and there is a lot to hook up.

What motherboard manufacturer do you use? I've never had issues with documentation on hooking up components on the motherboard, it's fairly straightforward and easy. He shouldn't have a problem doing that.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone here have the Asus ROG PG27AQ? I'm considering getting a single 4K monitor in place of two 1440p monitors and using it with my two 1080p monitors. Only just starting to do some research on brands and all that, so I could use some help.

Not terribly interested in the 144Hz monitors (unless I'm making a huge mistake by passing up on them). Would anyone have any recommendations for a good 4K IPS panel? And a 1440P IPS in case I change my kind?

iamblades

I think I spoke to this point fairly well.

If people have an issue with a certain shape, then there's one of two things going on.

1) The shape is actually bad.

2) They have a fairly static way of using a mouse that happens to not work very well with that shape. This generally points out lack of ability, not to be a dick. And, I really am not being a dick here, because despite the G Pro being a better mouse than the G402. I still use a G402 most of the time because I rely heavily on a much lower sens than most people and palm 99% of the time. I'm also noticeably worse than almost everyone I play games with.

However, I can still use the G Pro very comfortably, and think it's a great mouse. So, in all instances I'm going to recommend that over the G402, since it is a better mouse. If someone has a requirement like me when they're tryharding, they typically don't ask for mice advice.

I have just been completely disappointed in Logitech's output the past decade or so in general.

They don't sell a single mouse or keyboard currently that I would buy, and this is coming from someone who has been using a G5 since it launched, and an MX500 for years before that. It was basically the perfect shape/button placements for me for a general mouse. They ruined it with the G500 and have only gotten worse since. I mean, WTF is this shit:

Nc0d1gN.png

I recently got a corsair scimitar for playing MMOs, and might have to buy one of their normal mice to replace my aging G5s.

Horseticuffs

I applaud you good sir, but you did bother me with it since I had to float the idea of the removable drive bays. On that note, I wouldnt recommend doing a future motherboard yourself, they are more complicated then anything else with all the many hookups, usually cause motherboard documentation is missing/wrong or doesn't comply with what is on the motherboard itself. Documentation can be spotty and there is a lot to hook up.
Certainly, dear brother, I'd always try to follow your humble suggestions. It was an excellent idea about the bays, as I was seconds away from dumping $100+ on a new case out of panic.

LilJoka

So it was an interesting evening after work! My 1080 came in and I decided to install it myself. I haven't installed a gpu since the GeForce 3 many years ago.

I remove my 970 no problem. Grab the new card and... wtf. It won't fit in the case. It's a full sized case but no dice. Turns out I had two hard drive cages in there. I've got no experience here and I didn't want to bother my brother with this shit. He does tech for a living so I try to be more than just another normie.

So with no experience I fully open my tower and disconnect my hard drives. I take them out, remove a big cage, and use the small cage to handle two of my drives. Now I've got plenty of room but no cage for my third drive.

I look up this scenario on the Internet as I'm sure I'm not the first dude to have this happen to him. On a forum I read that people will put a bed of foam on the bottom of the case. I try this and it works like a charm.

So I've got the card in, my drives taken care of, and plug her in and give her juice. It works! Rocking through a bunch of benchmarks and I'm very impressed. Not just in the card, but that I handled it mostly on my own.

It was a nerve wracking, but very worthwhile experience. Now even the prospect of installing RAM or, so help me, maybe even a motherboard and cpu one day isn't quite so scary.

Well done. Your first diy mod :) As you've found out, not much to it and nothing to be afraid of.

Horseticuffs

Well done. Your first diy mod :) As you've found out, not much to it and nothing to be afraid of.

Thanks!

Say, quick question and I figure I'm in august company in this thread.

I specifically bought the PNY XLR8 1080 due to its claim of factory overclocking. I guess in the "Boost" mode it has a clock speed of 1,848 Mhz. My question is, is this good to go out of the box? I can't seem to find any program or app on their site to facilitate this feature, and the Driver link they offer just goes to Geforce experience.

There is a disc in the box, but I'm hesitant to use it if I'm merely going to be reverting to older drivers direct from Nvidia.

So you have a red x on the icon in the tray? Do you have any anti Virus, or firewalls installed? Have you tried to do a Windows Reset? it'll reinstall Windows but leave all your files.
Yup, I've tried everything. Shut off antivirus, firewall, and done the reset. It's the weirdest bug I've seen in a long time, it's like it can't detect gay anything is plugged in.

Strangely, the regular updates don't seem to work quite right, I had to do a Windows Reset in order to get Win 10 with the Anniversary update. On my current pre-anniversary Windows 10 I check for updates and it never lists the big update.

It's such a weird problem and I don't think I've seen anything he else on the web discuss his exact issue. Some people have had wireless connection issues, or had similar issues to mine but were able to fix it with driver updates or half a dozen other solutions (none of which worked for me).

I can try a full reinstall of Windows (files and all), but I honestly don't care about it enough to do that until I upgrade my computer next, it still works fine for everything except being able to play Windows App Store games (of which there are only a few I wanted to play like Redore and Halo Wars). Who knows, maybe the next big Win 10 upgrade won't have that issue for my machine.

LilJoka

Thanks!

Say, quick question and I figure I'm in august company in this thread.

I specifically bought the PNY XLR8 1080 due to its claim of factory overclocking. I guess in the "Boost" mode it has a clock speed of 1,848 Mhz. My question is, is this good to go out of the box? I can't seem to find any program or app on their site to facilitate this feature, and the Driver link they offer just goes to Geforce experience.

There is a disc in the box, but I'm hesitant to use it if I'm merely going to be reverting to older drivers direct from Nvidia.

Rule 1: Throw cd in boxes in bin.

You don't need software for boost to work, it's built into the GPUs bios.

You can use MSI Afterburner to tweak/monitor the GPU. The software is not brand specific.

Yup, I've tried everything. Shut off antivirus, firewall, and done the reset. It's the weirdest bug I've seen in a long time, it's like it can't detect gay anything is plugged in.

Strangely, the regular updates don't seem to work quite right, I had to do a Windows Reset in order to get Win 10 with the Anniversary update. On my current pre-anniversary Windows 10 I check for updates and it never lists the big update.

It's such a weird problem and I don't think I've seen anything he else on the web discuss his exact issue. Some people have had wireless connection issues, or had similar issues to mine but were able to fix it with driver updates or half a dozen other solutions (none of which worked for me).

I can try a full reinstall of Windows (files and all), but I honestly don't care about it enough to do that until I upgrade my computer next, it still works fine for everything except being able to play Windows App Store games (of which there are only a few I wanted to play like Redore and Halo Wars). Who knows, maybe the next big Win 10 upgrade won't have that issue for my machine.

What's the motherboard? Or if you know, what's the LAN model number?

Bloodember

Yeah, it sounds like something went wrong with your update and the reset doesn't realize some files are missing. I'd just do a full wipe and reinstall. You've tried everything else.

Unkle

Finally built it.

Just want to extend a heartfelt thanks to everyone here who answered questions and the many who've written guides or suggestions along the way - the help has been immeasurable.

Here's some potato pictures:

23Ls39C.jpg

geV51RO.jpg

Xu3sqvq.jpg

Thanks again everyone! Now it's time to optimize and figure out how to get the best out of everything...

ParityBit

Finally built it.

Just want to extend a heartfelt thanks to everyone here who answered questions and the many who've written guides or suggestions along the way - the help has been immeasurable.

Here's some potato pictures:

Thanks again everyone! Now it's time to optimize and figure out how to get the best out of everything...

Congrats! That looks awesome! Have a blast with it!

Ganondolf

My build is to play games at ultra settings at 1080p@60fps

The i5 6500 should be enough for my needs but a 6600k is £30 more.

For what I need, is it worth paying more for the K model or will the 6500 be enough and I won't notice a difference?

Jezbollah

My build is to play games at ultra settings at 1080p@60fps

The i5 6500 should be enough for my needs but a 6600k is £30 more.

For what I need, is it worth paying more for the K model or will the 6500 be enough and I won't notice a difference?

Hello Ganondolf

Take a look at this link: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6500/3503vs3513

Personally, I think that £30 would be a good investment in buying the 6600 :)

I think your bigger consideration will be GPU though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom