• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno394

Don't think the 1060 will since it's weaker than a 970 on average, and I run a heavily OCd 970 which hits 980 performance to get 1080p60 everywhere close to ultra or at ultra settings.
1070 might be overkill though, but in a year I expect it to be perfect.

It is? I remember reading reviews at length when this thing came out and game performance/fps in reviewed games being between 980 and 980ti. Have things changed?

z3phon

Got the Evga 1080 FTW Hybrid today. Waiting for my mnpctech cable combs to arrive and then I'm done with buying new parts for the time being.

WJLeIUX.jpg

Im looking to upgrade my PC to get stable 60 fps at 1080p playing dota 2. Im not planning to play any other games on that machine, so i want it to be as cheap as possible.

My current specs are:

Phenom II x4 945 3,2Ghz
Gtx 560 Ti OC 1GB
8GB ddr 2 Ram

Over the years performance was fine on that machine, but when valve portet the game to Source 2 it started to get worse with ever major update. Im getting mostly 40fps at 1080p with lowest settings.

Until now i was thinking to “upgrade“ to an i3 6100, 8gb ddr4 with a rx460. Would this be way better than my current specs? Also i have no idea if i schould keep my gpu and just replace the, cpu/ram or if i would get better performance with only upgrading my gpu, to lets say a rx470 or gtx 1050ti.
Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

LilJoka

It is? I remember reading reviews at length when this thing came out and game performance/fps in reviewed games being between 980 and 980ti. Have things changed?

That would be the 1070.
Looking at the benches again it seems the 1060 is trading blows with a stock 980. That's pretty much what I have with my overclocked 970.

No it is not, I retract my statement.
Although I still think it's poor value for money since a 970 from 2 years ago can match it with an overclock.

A 970, however heavily overclocked, will increasingly not be able to match a 1060 though, largely because of the VRAM. Games are getting better use of larger VRAM pool lately and it will only go upward in that regard. Hitting the VRAM wall will introduce stutters, which is even worse than lower FPS but more stable frametimes, IMO.

An AMD RX 480 is the better choice as of this moment, as it has matched 1060 performance in DX11 games and is pulling ahead even more in DX12 games. Plus it has 2 extra GBs of VRAM and more driver optimization ahead.

Ludono

My current system is

i7 6700K

KFA2 1070

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz (need to replace since one of the sticks was sent broken :/)

Wanted to ask what some nice overclocks would be, I tried bumping up my 6700K and I could only get it to 4.5gHz without putting the voltage over 1.4, which I think is the max you should keep it at right?

With the 1070 I got it to +150 Core and +500 Memory clocks but haven't tried higher.

My current system is

i7 6700K

KFA2 1070

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz (need to replace since one of the sticks was sent broken :/)

Wanted to ask what some nice overclocks would be, I tried bumping up my 6700K and I could only get it to 4.5gHz without putting the voltage over 1.4, which I think is the max you should keep it at right?

With the 1070 I got it to +150 Core and +500 Memory clocks but haven't tried higher.

my 6700K is the same. I'm running it at 4.5GHz with 1.335V. tried it at 1.33V but was crashing. i was over 1.4V trying to get 4.6GHz. i think any 6700K should manage 4.5GHz. it comes down to your luck if you get one that can do 4.6GHz or higher with a safe voltage. I definitely wouldn't go over 1.4V.

I have the same RAM too except it's rated to do 3200. I can only manage that if I leave my CPU at stock. highest i've managed to get while my CPU is overclocked is 2933 with 1.35V for the RAM. i didn't even bother trying for 3000. right now I am running at 2666 with 1.2V.

my 1070 is currently overclocked to +90/+375 which gives me 2035/4375 I think. i have the the MSI gaming x model. i originally had it at +110/400 but was getting crashing/artifacts so had to lower it. pretty much all 1070's should manage 2GHz core overclock.

LilJoka

A 970, however heavily overclocked, will increasingly not be able to match a 1060 though, largely because of the VRAM. Games are getting better use of larger VRAM pool lately and it will only go upward in that regard. Hitting the VRAM wall will introduce stutters, which is even worse than lower FPS but more stable frametimes, IMO.

An AMD RX 480 is the better choice as of this moment, as it has matched 1060 performance in DX11 games and is pulling ahead even more in DX12 games. Plus it has 2 extra GBs of VRAM and more driver optimization ahead.

Sure, don't disagree with that at all, but I rather not run into either of those issues when we talk about 1080p60. Having the same horsepower as a 980 with more VRAM isn't going to mean much if you can't use those settings that push VRAM without fps issues. It just annoys me the 1060 costs the same or as more than a 970 from 2 years ago and hasn't really got much going for it in comparison, apart from TDP.

Ludono

my 6700K is the same. I'm running it at 4.5GHz with 1.335V. tried it at 1.33V but was crashing. i was over 1.4V trying to get 4.6GHz. i think any 6700K should manage 4.5GHz. it comes down to your luck if you get one that can do 4.6GHz or higher with a safe voltage. I definitely wouldn't go over 1.4V.

I have the same RAM too except it's rated to do 3200. I can only manage that if I leave my CPU at stock. highest i've managed to get while my CPU is overclocked is 2933 with 1.35V for the RAM. i didn't even bother trying for 3000. right now I am running at 2666 with 1.2V.

my 1070 is currently overclocked to +90/+375 which gives me 2035/4375 I think. i have the the MSI gaming x model. i originally had it at +110/400 but was getting crashing/artifacts so had to lower it. pretty much all 1070's should manage 2GHz core overclock.

It's strange because I've seen a lot of people getting the 6700K up to close to 5.0gHz, I was hoping to at least get to 4.7. Yeah I guess I'll let it rest since I don't want to go over 1.4volt. I haven't tried OC'd the RAM yet due to it needing to be replaced but I guess I'll find out if it can actually get to 3000.

It's strange because I've seen a lot of people getting the 6700K up to close to 5.0gHz, I was hoping to at least get to 4.7. Yeah I guess I'll let it rest since I don't want to go over 1.4volt. I haven't tried OC'd the RAM yet due to it needing to be replaced but I guess I'll find out if it can actually get to 3000.

i think 5.0GHz is possible if you get really lucky but they will most definitely be pushing crazy voltages and have a serious water cooling set up. look at this:

f395401b_Udntitled.png

1.44-1.58V for 5.0GHz!

Rbk_3

I got my system together, first ever build. I really fucked up though. I accidentally used the screws for the hard drive bays to screw in the mother board. It is a little lose now and I cannot get the screws out again. It is running fine, but not ideal for a $2000 build :(

Majine

Banned
So... Wi-Fi in mobos, do they all come with this dinky antenna you have to prop up? Seems kinda old and lame, but I'm not savvy to know if it has to be this way.

1902865_8.jpg

Rufus

Some just have a more conventional stick antenna attached at the back. Something you can reposition like that would ultimately be preferable, I think.

Zaph

So... Wi-Fi in mobos, do they all come with this dinky antenna you have to prop up? Seems kinda old and lame, but I'm not savvy to know if it has to be this way.

[IMG ]https://inetimg.se/img/800x600/1902865_8.jpg[/IMG]

If your router is close, sometimes the wifi can work (poorly) without the antenna.

But yeah, PC's aren't like laptops which are designed with internal antenna. Also PCs generate a lot more interference than laptops, and are often placed under a desk which doesn't help.

I've had better luck plugging a USB3 wifi stick into my monitor's port (for best reception).

Ludono

i think 5.0GHz is possible if you get really lucky but they will most definitely be pushing crazy voltages and have a serious water cooling set up. look at this:

f395401b_Udntitled.png

1.44-1.58V for 5.0GHz!

Yeah but look at the amount of 4.6-4.8 below 1.4V. Seems like it could be possible no?

I have a Water Cooling system for my CPU, could I safely go a tad bit over 1.4 (say, 1.43) without too much risk?

Mupod

My 6700k has been 4.8 with 1.37 since I put it together a few weeks ago, it's stood up to all manner of games, stress tests, hours of WoW raiding etc. Have an H115i but did not delid - might buy my roommate a case of beer and have him do it someday (he's done it to his own stuff several times).

I haven't had much inclination to try and push for 5.0 but now I'm kinda curious.

Ludono

My 6700k has been 4.8 with 1.37 since I put it together a few weeks ago, it's stood up to all manner of games, stress tests, hours of WoW raiding etc. Have an H115i but did not delid - might buy my roommate a case of beer and have him do it someday (he's done it to his own stuff several times).

I haven't had much inclination to try and push for 5.0 but now I'm kinda curious.

I know the whole "not all chips are created equal" mantra but how can some people, like you for instance, get to 4.6 at 1.37 whereas I can't even go about 4.5 without pushing past 1.4 (which I don't really want to do)

I'm currently operating at a not full RAM set, ie its a 4x4 kit but one of the sticks was DOA so I'm sending it back soon and will replace the kit. Could that possibly affect the OCing of the CPU?

Yeah but look at the amount of 4.6-4.8 below 1.4V. Seems like it could be possible no?

I have a Water Cooling system for my CPU, could I safely go a tad bit over 1.4 (say, 1.43) without too much risk?

it certainly is possible if you get a good CPU. comes down to that "silicon lottery". one cpu might only manage 4.5 and another might do 4.7 at the same voltage.

well it'll help with cooling but you're still putting 1.4V through it which might shorten the life of the CPU. of course heat does play a part in that cause higher voltage = higher temps = degradation but i wouldn't feel comfortable with anything over 1.4V. i want to keep my CPU for as long as possible.

Xiofire

I know the whole "not all chips are created equal" mantra but how can some people, like you for instance, get to 4.6 at 1.37 whereas I can't even go about 4.5 without pushing past 1.4 (which I don't really want to do)

I'm currently operating at a not full RAM set, ie its a 4x4 kit but one of the sticks was DOA so I'm sending it back soon and will replace the kit. Could that possibly affect the OCing of the CPU?

Reading you guys pushing north of 4.5Ghz makes me sad. The moment I dial in 4.5Ghz on my 6700K, no matter how hard I try, it won't hold steady until about 1.41v, at which point it's pushing too much heat for me to feel it's safe.

So I've just settled on bringing mine down to 4.4Ghz at 1.3v which runs solid as a rock with nice temps to boot.

Feels bad when you lose the silicon lottery.

Sure, don't disagree with that at all, but I rather not run into either of those issues when we talk about 1080p60. Having the same horsepower as a 980 with more VRAM isn't going to mean much if you can't use those settings that push VRAM without fps issues. It just annoys me the 1060 costs the same or as more than a 970 from 2 years ago and hasn't really got much going for it in comparison, apart from TDP.

There are more and more games which can utilize huge VRAM pool like Watch Dogs 2, Shadows of Mordor, etc. at 1080/60 which are mostly because of high res texture packs so in which cases it would be nice to have the extra VRAM.

But yeah, I was not disagreeing with you either about the mediocre value of the 1060.
My comment about the RX 480 is more for the poster you quoted, as things stand right now there is no reason to go with the 1060 if prices are in the same range.

Ludono

Reading you guys pushing north of 4.5Ghz makes me sad. The moment I dial in 4.5Ghz, no matter how hard I try, it won't hold steady until about 1.41v, at which point it's pushing too much heat for me to feel it's safe.

So I've just settled on bringing mine down to 4.4Ghz at 1.3v which runs solid as a rock with nice temps to boot.

Feels bad when you lose the silicon lottery.

Also on a 6700K? Damn.

It's weird how you can hold a stable 4.4 at 1.3 yet it takes until 1.41 to hit .1 more :/

Xiofire

Also on a 6700K? Damn.

It's weird how you can hold a stable 4.4 at 1.3 yet it takes until 1.41 to hit .1 more :/

Oh my bad, yeah, on a 6700K.

My RAM is at 3200Mhz though, maybe that speed/timing are throwing off my ability to OC somehow?

I'll mess around more tonight after work.

rrs

Oh my bad, yeah, on a 6700K.

My RAM is at 3200Mhz though, maybe that speed/timing are throwing off my ability to OC somehow?

I'll mess around more tonight after work.
highly overclocked ram adds a load of heat to the CPU, but will be better than clock increases on RAM heavy video games

I can only get up to 4.2 GHz because my motherboard can't handle any synthetic test until I stick heatsinks on the voltage regulator
You can get antennas that attach right on the socket, but most come with something like that for better signal capture in the open.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
so after i got my new PC im now thinking about getting a new monitor.

How good/essentiell is 144Hz and G-Sync?
144Hz, GSync, IPS, 27", WQHD is quite expensive... Do I need all this?

Majine

Banned
so after i got my new PC im now thinking about getting a new monitor.

How good/essentiell is 144Hz and G-Sync?
144Hz, GSync, IPS, 27", WQHD is quite expensive... Do I need all this?

I'd say depends on where your priorities are (and your budget of course).

Are you into competitive gaming? 144Hz is probably for you.

As more of a casual gamer, I appreciate higher resolution (4K <3) and staying with 60Hz more.

Unkle

Just bought a pair of Seinnheiser HD 380 Pro headphones and they're due arrive on Wednesday. Does anyone have any experience with them when it comes to gaming? It's what I'll primarily be using them for.

Also, since the new PC is built I'll be hitting up Steam a lot more frequently, playing a range of multiple titles, like Siege and Overwatch - if anyone wants to add me it's 'Neoshockwave'.

Thanks!

noomi

I'm looking through the OP and have a quick question.

I currently have a 1GB storage drive, where I keep all of my games, music, videos.....etc I believe it's a WD Black 7200RPM 6GB drive... and storage is now becoming an issue for me.

I want to upgrade to a 4GB+ drive, and according to the OP a WD Caviar Blue 4GB is a good option. However the drive in the OP is only a 5400RPM drive....

Will I notice any degraded/slower performance when it comes to gaming because I am going from 7200 to 5400RPM?

I could opt another 4GB WD Black 7200RPM but the cost is too damn high.

Mupod

I currently have a 1GB storage drive, where I keep all of my games, music, videos.....etc I believe it's a WD Black 7200RPM 6GB drive... and storage is now becoming an issue for me.

I want to upgrade to a 4GB+ drive, and according to the OP a WD Caviar Blue 4GB is a good option. However the drive in the OP is only a 5400RPM drive....

Will I notice any degraded/slower performance when it comes to gaming because I am going from 7200 to 5400RPM?

I'm assuming you're talking about TB and not GB unless you're only buying hard drives from 1998.

All I can say if gaming performance is in any way shape or form a deciding factor for you, get an SSD for the games instead. And then it won't matter how slow your storage drive is.

noomi

I'm assuming you're talking about TB and not GB unless you're only buying hard drives from 1998.

All I can say if gaming performance is in any way shape or form a deciding factor for you, get an SSD for the games instead. And then it won't matter how slow your storage drive is.

Ah yes, haha my fault. I meant TB :p

I have an SSD for my OS, but when you get to higher tiers of storage the cost is very expensive.

crpav

Wanting 3 new things. Case, keyboard and mouse. Thoughts on these:

Case - Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 coming from an old Cooler Master Sniper case

Keyboard - Corsair STRAFE RGB, Corsair Gaming K70 or Gaming K95 coming from a Logitech Orion Spark

Mouse - Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum coming from the Logitech G502 Proteus

I know the mouse and keyboard are good but I just don't love them. They don't feel as good as I was hoping and preferred my old G19 Keyboard and Logitech G500. Case works fine but feel something newer would be "cool".

kuYuri

Go with another brand like Seagate, Toshiba, HGST, or Hitachi if you can still find those. They will be much cheaper then WD blacks and will likely be 7200 RPM like the Toshiba P300 series.

rrs

behold the managed cord nightmare that's my pc

Wanting 3 new things. Case, keyboard and mouse. Thoughts on these:

Case - Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 coming from an old Cooler Master Sniper case

Keyboard - Corsair STRAFE RGB, Corsair Gaming K70 or Gaming K95 coming from a Logitech Orion Spark

Mouse - Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum coming from the Logitech G502 Proteus

I know the mouse and keyboard are good but I just don't love them. They don't feel as good as I was hoping and preferred my old G19 Keyboard and Logitech G500. Case works fine but feel something newer would be "cool".
I got the same case for my new pc, plenty of places to put fans in while hiding cords. However, you got about as much height as an ITX slim PC so forget about big, huge coolers for the CPU. As for keyboard/mouse, I got a sensei raw to replace my G500 with clicking issues

noomi

Go with another brand like Seagate, Toshiba, HGST, or Hitachi if you can still find those. They will be much cheaper then WD blacks and will likely be 7200 RPM like the Toshiba P300 series.

I'll look into those but the quality of WD and there warranty are very good. Thanks.

Xiofire

highly overclocked ram adds a load of heat to the CPU, but will be better than clock increases on RAM heavy video games

I can only get up to 4.2 GHz because my motherboard can't handle any synthetic test until I stick heatsinks on the voltage regulator
You can get antennas that attach right on the socket, but most come with something like that for better signal capture in the open.

Interesting. Which motherboard do you have that requires heatsinks on the voltage regulators? I'm currently on a Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z170MX, wonder if I'd benefit from this either.

rrs

Interesting. Which motherboard do you have that requires heatsinks on the voltage regulators? I'm currently on a Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z170MX, wonder if I'd benefit from this either.
I got a gigabyte Z170N-WIFI-CF, it seems to be a corner that was cut on my ITX board. I only get drops running stress tests on the CPU, otherwise the board is completely fine and most likely your motherboard will have heatsinks on said parts so you won't need to apply anything.

Rbk_3

So Cool Master 212 Evo, I put the fan on the side facing the rear of my case, otherwise I would not be able to insert 2 more Ram sticks later on. Is that set up okay or could it be on the Ram side of the heat sink?

noomi

So Cool Master 212 Evo, I put the fan on the side facing the rear of my case, otherwise I would not be able to insert 2 more Ram sticks later on. Is that set up okay or could it be on the Ram side of the heat sink?

I think it's supposed to be in the ram side to push the heat out.

Do you have low profile RAM sticks?

iamblades

f395401b_Udntitled.png

1.44-1.58V for 5.0GHz!
I think you'd need to delid it if you wanted to get 5ghz unless you got really lucky with the silicon.

I have a fairly oversized water-cooling setup, and got to 4.8 GHz on stock voltage, but the temps were uncomfortably high running prime so I didn't do the full stability test. If I had gone to 4.9 it would certainly throttle.

Maybe I could get better thermal transfer if I went with a liquid metal thermal paste, but likely not enough to get to 5ghz. The IHS just slows down thermal transfer from the die to the water block too much.

paskowitz

Can confirm you will likely need a delid and a water cooling loop to go above 1.4v to reach 5.0Ghz. I can do 5.0Ghz/1.42v on my 4790K and what you see below for FS only. The performance difference between 4.8 and 5.0 is negligible, while the heat and voltage difference can often be huge. This is the "voltage wall". I would advise targeting 4.8Ghz in the 1.3-1.4v range.

Full shot of my system while I am at it...

Can confirm you will likely need a delid and a water cooling loop to go above 1.4v to reach 5.0Ghz. I can do 5.0Ghz/1.42v on my 4790K and what you see below for FS only. The performance difference between 4.8 and 5.0 is negligible, while the heat and voltage difference can often be huge. This is the "voltage wall". I would advise targeting 4.8Ghz in the 1.3-1.4v range.

Full shot of my system while I am at it...

A good air cooler is plenty up to 1.45v on delidded Skylake.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I think you'd need to delid it if you wanted to get 5ghz unless you got really lucky with the silicon.

I have a fairly oversized water-cooling setup, and got to 4.8 GHz on stock voltage, but the temps were uncomfortably high running prime so I didn't do the full stability test. If I had gone to 4.9 it would certainly throttle.

Maybe I could get better thermal transfer if I went with a liquid metal thermal paste, but likely not enough to get to 5ghz. The IHS just slows down thermal transfer from the die to the water block too much.

Yeah I'm hitting 4.6 with a 1.4 vcore and hit 72-73 with major stress testing. I wont go higher as 1. there is no need and 2. I dont like going over 1.4. I'm on water (Corsair i100v2)

Rbk_3

I have never OC'd before. What do you figure is a safe starting point for a rookie?

1.35 at 4.5?

If it's too much, does the system crash or what typically happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom