• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baleoce

I don't know much about euro prices but I'd drop down to a G2 series, either 550W or 650W (save like 50 pounds).

Got any links to posts about your issues? What PSU do you currently have?

Many thanks for the reply. Here's some links to my previous posts.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226471567&postcount=15117
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226483169&postcount=15120
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226514459&postcount=15134
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226554411&postcount=15174

My PSU is a CORSAIR/CMPSU-550VXU.

Yeah 4.5 can be tricky on a 3570k. Just reset your bios by e.g. removing the battery on your mb for a minute or so and try 4.3

I fucked something up. Tried resetting the bios but got nothing.

All I get is this

lz0lgeT.jpg

Tried gutting the computer (I have a node 304 so its a small case) and putting in only the essentials and now it starts up, dies, starts up, shows that screen, dies.

ughughugh

MKAllDay

I know this isn't quite a PC related question, but given that I plan to connect it to my PC, I figure others might have a similar setup.

I would like to have a wireless speaker set that can go on different floors of my house which is easy enough to find. The rub is that I need to be sure that part of the system can connect with a standard 3.5mm cable to my computer and then proceed to play my computer's audio across the wireless speakers.

I am sure such a thing exists but most of the ones I am finding are entirely wireless and then just Bluetooth connect to your phone which is not what I would use it for.

luoapp

I know this isn't quite a PC related question, but given that I plan to connect it to my PC, I figure others might have a similar setup.

I would like to have a wireless speaker set that can go on different floors of my house which is easy enough to find. The rub is that I need to be sure that part of the system can connect with a standard 3.5mm cable to my computer and then proceed to play my computer's audio across the wireless speakers.

I am sure such a thing exists but most of the ones I am finding are entirely wireless and then just Bluetooth connect to your phone which is not what I would use it for.

what kind of speaker do you have?

hoserx

1. I haven't tried this yet but I do know how to set that up in Afterburner, so I'll take a look at it.
2. I think the front intake fan isn't connected but there are fans blowing out on the top and back.
3. It's summer here in Australia at the moment but it hasn't really ramped up yet. Today was only around 24 degrees and my room has stayed fairly cool. Unfortunately I don't have a thermometer so I can't check the exact temp inside my room.

My previous GPU was a similar model GTX 970 (MSI, fans don't spin up until ~60 degrees) and I think the absolute hottest I ever saw that go was 74 degrees, usually it was 68-70.

1. Fan speed maxed out at 63% in Overwatch with a temp of around 75. For The Evil Within the speed topped out at 69% and the temperature was 77.
2. When I start a game it tends to go to around 1910 and then goes down to 1870-1890 once I've played for a few minutes regardless of temperature. It doesn't dip further than that from what I've seen.

Here's the default fan curve in Afterburner.
LRKgF1Y.jpg

What would you recommend I change it to?

You definitely need a fan bringing cool air. Even if your other card was "cool" enough (hot for 970 I think), but you definitely need an intake fan somewhere. Connect that one or add a 120mm fan to the front of your case. (assuming your exhaust is at the rear of your case). I have cool air coming in the front and back, and all out of the top in my machine, through the radiator that my H100 is connected to. It's very important to introduce fresh "cool" air to the system.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
so, any objections against this configuration?

Asus Z-170 Pro Gaming
Corsair RM550X
Intel i7 6700K
Corsair Vengeance DIMM 16GB DDR4-3000 Kit
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX OC GAMING
Crucial MX300 525 GB
3 * be quiet! Silent Wings 3 120 mm PWM

CPU Cooler will be my old Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

I'm mainly getting the Asus stuff because there's a cashback for Asus which can get me the Asus strix 2.0 headset and the Asus strix claw dark mouse...

MKAllDay

what kind of speaker do you have?

I don't have one. The hope is that the system I would buy would have one speaker that can connect to my computer with the 3.5mm aux cable and then wirelessly play the audio through the other speakers in the house.

I can find plenty of speakers that do just that, I just haven't found many that confirm they also have the aux input option.

so my SSD finally arrived yesterday... why, oh why didn't I bought this before?? I did a fresh install of Windows 10 and my computer boots in less than 7 seconds and after inputting the password is ready to go in less than 11 seconds. Opening programs and browsing in Chrome is actually doable now. For whoever else is still considering if upgrading from a regular HDD is worth it... just do it! You will NOT be disappointed at all.

so right now I am running a gtx 1070 and a i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz

I think the highest cpu this mobo can take is a i7 3770k.

Just not ready to get a new mobo and cpu together.

my question is, would it be worth it to upgrade to the i7 3770k? or would the performance increase not be worth the cost?

luoapp

so right now I am running a gtx 1070 and a i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz

I think the highest cpu this mobo can take is a i7 3770k.

Just not ready to get a new mobo and cpu together.

my question is, would it be worth it to upgrade to the i7 3770k? or would the performance increase not be worth the cost?

Run afterburner during a game, check if it is CPU or GPU limited.

I mean, what temps do you get running actual stress tests like prime95 or linpack or whatever? Many games don't stress the CPU at all. I definitely think you should consider reseating the cooler.

1.36 isn't at all dangerous for a 6700k but just saying it seems high for 4.4. I just got mine and I'm still tweaking, but it's been 4.8@1.37 for a couple weeks stable.

Nice.

Yeah, I've tried stock, lowering vcore and standard RAM clocks.

Lowering the vcore helped (getting 60-70C now), but I'm still seeing much higher temperatures in CSGO compared to other games. In Mankind Divided, Rocket League etc. I'm getting the same temperature as before (with my 4790K), but CSGO goes through the roof.

Nice.

Lowering the vcore helped (getting 60-70C now), but I'm still seeing much higher temperatures in CSGO compared to other games. In Mankind Divided, Rocket League etc. I'm getting the same temperature as before (with my 4790K), but CSGO goes through the roof.

What about a CPU stress test?

LilJoka

Nice.

You should run the lowest vcore possible.
6700k is notorious for temp spikes so what's the average temp over a play session?
Your stats aren't that much different for me
6700k 4.4ghz 1.32v 75c in overwatch running 200fps+. My cooler is a thermalright silver arrow SB-E extreme which is close to a D14.
My ambient temp is around 21c.

Primus

Well, after several hours of having to keep my cats locked up and comical mishaps like dropping my iPhone onto the motherboard as I attempted to use it as a flashlight because I am stupid and installed the heatsink fans and GPU before plugging in the ATX 28 pin cable, I got it all installed and running.

Booting from NVMe is fun. It boots in about 9 seconds. Install from a USB 3.1 (lol) thumb drive took 9 minutes.

Grats for finally getting it up and running. And yeah, it's nuts just how fast Win10 installs from a USB3 flash drive.

Mupod

When I finally get one of those god forsaken samsung 960s I'm going to borrow a USB 3.1 drive off someone just to see how fast Windows installs.

j-wood

I'm debating getting a 1070 with my christmas bonus this year, but I have a 970. Would the jump be worth it? I'd also love to get a gsync monitor to go with it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Trying to get the DH-15's fans clipped onto the thing at the exact height I needed them for my case was a huge comical ordeal.

Did you replace the paste when you did that?

I did. I'll try again.

Since my computer is all opened up, can someone help me with getting shorter cables/better cable management? My Node 304 is a gd rats nest.

I've got shorter SATA cables ordered but I'm looking to get:

1. A smaller PCI-E cable. I have a GTX 670 and a HX650W supply. I'm guessing I need a male to male connector?

2. The 304 has a fan connector on the back of the case that controls the speed of the fans on the front.

but the cable provided with the supply looks like this

Yes it works but its extremely cluttered esp when I only need one of those ports.

Any help would be appreciated, this was so much easier when I just followed directions and had a giant case lol

ISee

When does the winter sale usually start?

22.12 this time around, if I remember correctly.

I fucked something up. Tried resetting the bios but got nothing.

All I get is this

Tried gutting the computer (I have a node 304 so its a small case) and putting in only the essentials and now it starts up, dies, starts up, shows that screen, dies.

ughughugh

Remove the battery for 10 minutes.

1. I haven't tried this yet but I do know how to set that up in Afterburner, so I'll take a look at it.
2. I think the front intake fan isn't connected but there are fans blowing out on the top and back.
3. It's summer here in Australia at the moment but it hasn't really ramped up yet. Today was only around 24 degrees and my room has stayed fairly cool. Unfortunately I don't have a thermometer so I can't check the exact temp inside my room.

My previous GPU was a similar model GTX 970 (MSI, fans don't spin up until ~60 degrees) and I think the absolute hottest I ever saw that go was 74 degrees, usually it was 68-70.

1. Fan speed maxed out at 63% in Overwatch with a temp of around 75. For The Evil Within the speed topped out at 69% and the temperature was 77.
2. When I start a game it tends to go to around 1910 and then goes down to 1870-1890 once I've played for a few minutes regardless of temperature. It doesn't dip further than that from what I've seen.

Here's the default fan curve in Afterburner.
LRKgF1Y.jpg

What would you recommend I change it to?

You are only getting ~30% fan speed at 70°C. No wonder you're getting above 70°C all the time. You need to start way earlier.
On my MSI 1070 X my profile looks like this (more or less):

0°C-50°C: 0%
60°C : 50%
70°C: 70%
85°C: 80%
90°C: 100%

I'm getting 67°C max this way during gaming sessions (oced to 2050mhz)

I'm debating getting a 1070 with my christmas bonus this year, but I have a 970. Would the jump be worth it? I'd also love to get a gsync monitor to go with it.

Depends on the rest of your setup tbh. If you're still on an old i5 then getting a new CPU first makes more sense for many games. People are complaining all the time about bad game optimisation and drops on 1070s/1080s when in fact they are reaching CPU bottlenecks.

In general:
A 1070 is about 70% faster than a 970. It also comes with more and faster vram.

Run afterburner during a game, check if it is CPU or GPU limited.

huh? I dont understand this response.

but my CPU is holding me back thus why I want to possibly upgrade my CPU without having to upgrade my mobo...which is why I was asking is going from i5 2500k to i7 3770k worth the cost or would it not be a significant jump?

ISee

What do they put on sale? Everything pretty much? I actually JUST finished Gears, so I am not sure what to play next while I wait.

most of the stuff. Witcher 3 will be 100% on sale.
But if you don't want to wait you can pick up the gog.com Game of the Year edition (game+dlc) for about $30 here (cdkey.com)

so, any objections against this configuration?

Asus Z-170 Pro Gaming
Corsair RM550X
Intel i7 6700K
Corsair Vengeance DIMM 16GB DDR4-3000 Kit
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX OC GAMING
Crucial MX300 525 GB
3 * be quiet! Silent Wings 3 120 mm PWM

CPU Cooler will be my old Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

I'm mainly getting the Asus stuff because there's a cashback for Asus which can get me the Asus strix 2.0 headset and the Asus strix claw dark mouse...

Go with the Pro Gaming Aura. Its an great mobo and it syncs the RGB lightning with the Strix gpu.

huh? I dont understand this response.

but my CPU is holding me back thus why I want to possibly upgrade my CPU without having to upgrade my mobo...which is why I was asking is going from i5 2500k to i7 3770k worth the cost or would it not be a significant jump?

How important your CPU is depends on the game, hence his suggestion. Only if you can get a 3770k cheap would I suggest it. They tend to be expensive used. Otherwise go new.

But yeah, a new CPU would help you out. I assume you're at 1080/60?

Can someone give me opinions on a Asus VZ249H monitor? I don't need anything fancy tech-wise and I love its visual-design and the few opinions I read mention superb picture quality but I couldn't find a proper review. I don't need it for much either since I will wait for HDR monitors to upgrade my main monitor, I'm just finally sick of the single-monitor lifestyle and I'm rearranging my room and desk anyhow so I thought I would get a secondary screen with a slim design too.

You should run the lowest vcore possible.
6700k is notorious for temp spikes so what's the average temp over a play session?
Your stats aren't that much different for me
6700k 4.4ghz 1.32v 75c in overwatch running 200fps+. My cooler is a thermalright silver arrow SB-E extreme which is close to a D14.
My ambient temp is around 21c.

Skylake temps are the best argument for delidding since Ivy Bridge.

bomblord1

Banned
I've swapped my MOBO for a new one that doesn't have bluetooth and wifi built in.

What is my best option to add that functionality back in? I have a free PCIE slot but if it's easier/faster I would be willing to go with an external adapter as well.

My main use case for bluetooth would be to connect Wiimotes/PS4 controllers for emulators.

You definitely need a fan bringing cool air. Even if your other card was "cool" enough (hot for 970 I think), but you definitely need an intake fan somewhere. Connect that one or add a 120mm fan to the front of your case. (assuming your exhaust is at the rear of your case). I have cool air coming in the front and back, and all out of the top in my machine, through the radiator that my H100 is connected to. It's very important to introduce fresh "cool" air to the system.

You are only getting ~30% fan speed at 70°C. No wonder you're getting above 70°C all the time. You need to start way earlier.
On my MSI 1070 X my profile looks like this (more or less):

0°C-50°C: 0%
60°C : 50%
70°C: 70%
85°C: 80%
90°C: 100%

I'm getting 67°C max this way during gaming sessions (oced to 2050mhz)

I've added a fan profile and hooked up a 140mm fan as intake on the front of my case, and I gave everything a good clean. Hopefully all of that makes a difference and I'll report back after I've done some gaming.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Rbk_3

I am considering building my first gaming PC. Is there any issues I should know about if I plan to use it on my 55" 4K TV vs a monitor?

I am thinking:
I5 6600k
GTX 1070

That likely wont do native 4k, how well would 1440p upscale to 4k?

How important your CPU is depends on the game, hence his suggestion. Only if you can get a 3770k cheap would I suggest it. They tend to be expensive used. Otherwise go new.

But yeah, a new CPU would help you out. I assume you're at 1080/60?

yea 1080/60

when you say go New, do you mean go new mobo AND cpu

or go for a new 3770k

my i5-2500k is doing the job while overclocked, but if the 3770k would give me a decent bump, i'd do it. If the bump would be negligible, then I wouldn't. that's what I am trying to figure out

yea 1080/60

or go for a new 3770k

my i5-2500k is doing the job while overclocked, but if the 3770k would give me a decent bump, i'd do it. If the bump would be negligible, then I wouldn't. that's what I am trying to figure out

I meant new as in skylake/kaby lake.

Whether you'll see a difference depends on what games you play. I suspect you're probably already hitting 60 fps in most games and therefore won't see much of a difference. However, if you're running everything at ultra it might be relevant. What framerates are you seeing in the games you play?

See if your CPU usage is maxed out while GPU usage is low (say 50%). That would be indicative of a CPU bottleneck. But if you're happy with performance now then hold out as long as you want until you're dissatisfied.

nataku

Hmm. Well, after resetting CMOS I still can't access the BIOS other than when it throws me into it after the reset. I don't really understand how that can suddenly just... stop working. It's been working fine for years and my delete key isn't broken or anything. I tried different USB ports and nothing. I've changed no settings related to detecting it on boot, either. My keyboard itself seems to be functioning just fine, too.

Hopefully I can find a USB to PS/2 adapter somewhere around here. I don't really want to spend money on one.

EDIT: No adapters. Oh well.

ISee

I am considering building my first gaming PC. Is there any issues I should know about if I plan to use it on my 55" 4K TV vs a monitor?

I am thinking:
I5 6600k
GTX 1070

That likely wont do native 4k, how well would 1440p upscale to 4k?

Nothing wrong with a 6600k, gtx 1070 combo.
The thing is native 4k is extremely hard to reach even on 1080s.

I bought a new display from me to me for christmas and my choice was between 1440p,27" and 4k, 28". I ordered both displays to compare them and 1440p --> 4k can look decent but you can spot the difference easily. In the end I went with the 1440p display because playing at native 1440p looks better then playing at 1440p->4k.
Of course that's not an option for you, but an overclocked 1070 has enough power to go for 3200x1800/60 in most games if you're willing to turn down settings. The difference between native 4k and 1800p is still visible but on a 55" TV which isn't right in your face (as in my situation) it might be good enough.

Some 1070/1800p performance tests I've done:

Witcher 3,1800p, max. settings, hairworks off
Watch Dogs 2, 1800p (temporal), Geometry = v.high, Shadows = v.high, SSR= v.high, extra detail=0, rest=max.
Dark Souls 3, 1800p, max. settings

yea 1080/60

or go for a new 3770k

Overclocked i5s (2500k/3570k) are still viable in many games. The thing is, they are running at their limit in others, especially in many open world games. Spring of 2016 my old mobo died and I had to buy new stuff, at this point I was a bit annoyed because I was under the impression that my good old 3570k (4.3ghz) would be able to bring me through the next 2-3 years.
To make a long story short: I was shocked about the performance gain.

Just Cause 3, GTX 980, 3570k (4.3 ghz), 53fps
Just Cause 3, GTX 980, 6700k (4.3 ghz), 94 fps
Just Cause 3, GTX 980, 6600k (6700 without HTT, 4.3 ghz), ~ 88fps (sorry don't have the pic anymore).

That's of course an extreme example but games like Witcher 3 and GTA V also ran better (~30fps). That's huge in my opinion and I'm very much under the impression that it's about time to say goodbye to our old i5s.

Old i7s (2600k/3770k) seem to hold up a lot better. For example a 3770k can outperform a modern 6600k at stock clocks.

Titan X(maxwell) said:

THAT said, I'd still go for a new build instead of buying a used 3770k. Just because they are still relatively expansive, old and you never know how reckless the previous owner was. Also: If your mb dies you'll be in trouble. It's getting harder and harder to find good mb with oc features for old cpus.
But kabylake (more or less higher clocked skylake, with better iGPUs) and (Ry)Zen are around the corner. Waiting for them before making a decision could be worthwhile. First Ryzen stuff looks promising but there are no game benchmarks yet besides a pointless 'look it can run BF1 at 4k/60 when paired with a Titan X (Pascal)'.

Folks... anyone have any experience with this? My son and daughter have USB wifi downstairs (the main PC and router are upstairs, about 50 feet away from them) and their download rates are atrocious. Like 1.5mbps from Steam, where I am 24mbps with a wired connection.

Apparently they can directly connect to this and the range / connection / download speeds should be improved. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQ883QW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I also see units like this (and outlet ones too)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R92CL5E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Folks... anyone have any experience with this? My son and daughter have USB wifi downstairs (the main PC and router are upstairs, about 50 feet away from them) and their download rates are atrocious. Like 1.5mbps from Steam, where I am 24mbps with a wired connection.

Apparently they can directly connect to this and the range / connection / download speeds should be improved. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQ883QW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I also see units like this (and outlet ones too)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R92CL5E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Please state current router and usb wifi make and models. The issue could be the dongles.

Sarcasm

I am looking to upgrade my GPU in the future and I hear rumors about the 1080ti. If I get that would my CPU become a bottleneck?

4770Km not OC (chicken shit scared to)

ISee

I am looking to upgrade my GPU in the future and I hear rumors about the 1080ti. If I get that would my CPU become a bottleneck?

4770Km not OC (chicken shit scared to)

No need to be scared to if your cooling is at least descent. K CPUs are meant to be overclocked, you paid the premium price so use it ;) Just have some patient and overclock in small steps.
Also no, a 4770k is still a very fast CPU for gaming and will do fine with a 1080/Ti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom