• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primus

I've been putting off my computer for a little while (busy), but at this stage I'm wondering if it's worth waiting until January, with Kaby Lake desktop chips supposedly launching early in the month? I'm not usually too worried about "Wait for X," but if three weeks is worth a 10% performance gain, maybe it's not such a bad idea.

Early reports on the i7-7700k are starting to come out, and there seems to be very little difference in performance between the 6700k and 7700k CPUs. There are certainly power savings and gains in onboard graphics performance to be had, but you're not gimping yourself if you put together a Skylake rig right now.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Hey guys, so I need to get a PC on a budget. After checking several builds according my money limit, how's this one?

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI CSM-H110M Pro-VHL Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC Edition Video Card
Case: Sentey Stealth ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

I plan to use it mostly for Photoshop, Illustrator and some games in-between. (my sweet spot would be playing Overwatch on 1080p60 at high settings. If I can manage that or even more with this setup I consider myself happy with the build).

My only con is that I'm buying locally (Chile) so prices might vary. I'm using http://www.solotodo.com/ which is the local equivalent of PcPartPicker if you want to give me recommendation. Any feedback would be really appreciated.

LilJoka

Yeah I should have said it's USD.

Something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Intel 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($168.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.82 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($633.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1653.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-20 13:30 EST-0500

inner-G

Banned
Would a Dell S2716DG monitor be a worthy upgrade over an ASUS PB278Q?

Both 27' 1440p, I'd be going from IPS to TN, but I'd get 144z and gsync in return.

I think I'd miss the color of IPS, but some reviews of the Dell say it's really not bad.

Any opinions/thoughts?

rrs

I've been putting off my computer for a little while (busy), but at this stage I'm wondering if it's worth waiting until January, with Kaby Lake desktop chips supposedly launching early in the month? I'm not usually too worried about "Wait for X," but if three weeks is worth a 10% performance gain, maybe it's not such a bad idea.
Could jump in now if you got a deal on one, but well I think those deals are outta here with 7700K benchmarks being lol.jpg with maybe better OC
rx 470 with a 3570k. Good combo for a simple 1080p rig?
yeah, should be fine with the CPU overclocked
Hey guys, so I need to get a PC on a budget. After checking several builds according my money limit, how's this one?
looks good, but if you aren't looking into RAM upgrades in the near future maybe a 2x4 GB setup could be cheaper/faster.

kuYuri

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI CSM-H110M Pro-VHL Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC Edition Video Card
Case: Sentey Stealth ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

I plan to use it mostly for Photoshop, Illustrator and some games in-between. (my sweet spot would be playing Overwatch on 1080p60 at high settings. If I can manage that or even more with this setup I consider myself happy with the build).

My only con is that I'm buying locally (Chile) so prices might vary. I'm using http://www.solotodo.com/ which is the local equivalent of PcPartPicker if you want to give me recommendation. Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Looks good to me. I made a build with exactly the same i3 and an EVGA 1050 Ti, and was getting 70~ fps on Overwatch on high at 1920x1200. If you can get in a small 240GB SSD and install Windows on it, it will make the PC that much faster. I managed to get one for $54 myself, but that's entirely up to you.

SickBoy

Could jump in now if you got a deal on one, but well I think those deals are outta here with 7700K benchmarks being lol.jpg with maybe better OC

I'm looking for a middle-of-the-road i5 that I probably won't OC (the last two Windows PCs I built were prime overclockers, but I have never felt comfortable with pushing a processor, even as Intel has sort of opened to that kind of usage).

At the very least I figure Kaby Lake brings at least a slight boost in core clock speed (5%?), plus whatever optimizations there may be... for virtually the same price (at least in theory).

Plus, the wait may also give my local store time to restock a power supply I actually want to buy vs. all the Corsairs they're sitting on.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
looks good, but if you aren't looking into RAM upgrades in the near future maybe a 2x4 GB setup could be cheaper/faster.

Thanks, I'll most likely add another 8Gb RAM in the next months.

Looks good to me. I made a build with exactly the same i3 and an EVGA 1050 Ti, and was getting 70~ fps on Overwatch on high at 1920x1200. If you can get in a small 240GB SSD and install Windows on it, it will make the PC that much faster. I managed to get one for $54 myself, but that's entirely up to you.

Thanks. Glad to know it runs OW good at that range. I'm planning on getting a cheap SSD since I'll most likely use another HDD that I got laying around so I'd rather use the money for the 1TB hdd into the SSD.

Both 27' 1440p, I'd be going from IPS to TN, but I'd get 144z and gsync in return.

I think I'd miss the color of IPS, but some reviews of the Dell say it's really not bad.

Any opinions/thoughts?

Bought one but won't arrive till Jan 2017. Like any monitor people always have very varied opinions on monitors. I don't think everybody will ever agree that any monitor is unanimously positive.

That being said most buyers seem to have positive thoughts except the initial calibration required and viewing angles. For me I don't have big concerns with viewing angles being that I sit directly in front of my monitor.

WhiteWolf

Is it safe to enable the XMP setting (called "Profile1" in my Gigabyte BIOS)? I heard it will allow my RAM to reach the timings listed on the box, but how much does it affect game performance?

Bloodember

Is it safe to enable the XMP setting (called "Profile1" in my Gigabyte BIOS)? I heard it will allow my RAM to reach the timings listed on the box, but how much does it affect game performance?
If you have ram faster than 2133 ram you need to enable xmp or over clock them manually. I just use the xmp profile that is what it's there for.

iamblades

Yes, it is perfectly safe.

It will not drastically affect game performance, most games do not heavily utilize system ram at all.

Personally I manually choose my ram speeds, some BIOSes have odd interactions between XMP and other features, particularly turbo boost and such.

If you aren't doing any crazy overclocking, just hitting the XMP button should be fine for you though.

rrs

I'm looking for a middle-of-the-road i5 that I probably won't OC (the last two Windows PCs I built were prime overclockers, but I have never felt comfortable with pushing a processor, even as Intel has sort of opened to that kind of usage).

At the very least I figure Kaby Lake brings at least a slight boost in core clock speed (5%?), plus whatever optimizations there may be... for virtually the same price (at least in theory).

Plus, the wait may also give my local store time to restock a power supply I actually want to buy vs. all the Corsairs they're sitting on.
yeah, if aren't going for top of the line then waiting could be fine. Although, AMD's ryzen could be a better deal in the price range and should be out shortly afterwards

Looking to buy my wife an all in one PC for xmas. The kind built in to the monitor. Any recommendations from a Best Buy? Mostly web surfing, with the occasional game

Something like this

Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Intel 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($168.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.82 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Thanks a lot for this man. I'm gonna start ordering parts later this week.

Jtrizzy

Hey have a few questions. My 1tb HDD is dying, so I need to replace it. My thought was to go with a 1tb Samsung evo ssd, unless there is a less expensive alternative. I'm ok with spending that much though, as the Samsung seems to be the most recommended.

1. I'm wondering how difficult migrating the original over will be, I'm also considering just doing a fresh install of windows and re downloading.

2. My ram is pretty out of date and I only have 8 gigs (2 4 gig sticks) so I thought I'd just toss those and buy two 8 gig sticks? Is this the right thing to do, and with they be automatically recognized by the mobo?

I'm kind of leaning towards letting the local pc shop do this for me, but it's an extra $100 or. I'm mostly wondering if the ssd installation will be over my head.

Hey GAF, I think my monitor is slowly giving out after 7+ years of use. I have a HPw1907 monitor and I'm having slight audio issues. When I'm playing games the monitor makes a slight buzzing noise from it's internal speakers. The buzzing noise is audible when I have the speakers via Windows up to 80%, but if I have both the Windows 10 volume turned up to 100% and use the monitor volume control to turn it up a bit more the buzzing noise is more audible and clear. It mainly makes that noise when the game is on a menu or on the pause screen (sometimes during gameplay too), as when I'm playing a game the audio from the game drowns it out. You think it's time to finally change monitors or something is going on with my computer?

Also if I'm wearing my headset, the buzzing sound is not coming through my headset as it's just the game audio, but the buzzing sound may still come through the monitor.

WhiteWolf

If you have ram faster than 2133 ram you need to enable xmp or over clock them manually. I just use the xmp profile that is what it's there for.

Yes, it is perfectly safe.

It will not drastically affect game performance, most games do not heavily utilize system ram at all.

Personally I manually choose my ram speeds, some BIOSes have odd interactions between XMP and other features, particularly turbo boost and such.

If you aren't doing any crazy overclocking, just hitting the XMP button should be fine for you though.

Cool, thanks guys. Do I also need to enter the timings in the BIOS so they match the XMP timings (normally at 15-15-15-36 compared to listed XMP 13-15-15-28) or will those change on their own?

kodecraft

Something like this

Dude this is perfect for what my next build is, sans the 1080 and two storage parts. Awesome.

Tiktaalik

I'm putting together an updated PC based largely on recommended parts from a PC gaming friend and I found a wrinkle in the setup.

Essentially the PSU that was recommend and I purchased is too deep to fit well in my old Antec p180 ATX case. It's right up next to the fan. The new PSU is a EVGA 650W one that is ~18cm deep whereas the old one was a Corsair 450W PSU that was ~14cm deep and fit perfectly.

PSU is something I don't really understand that well and I don't know what I actually need. When I added in all the following parts into the PC part picker, it says I only need about 300W so unless my several HDs draw that much power, I'm not really sure why my friend recommended this 650W PSU. Couldn't I just use my old 450W one? I'm not overclocking or anything...

The following parts were purchased:
PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card

The case doesn't really allow me to move that bottom fan so it seems to me my options are some combination of the below:

A) Return 650W fan, find something that is 14cm and fits the case?
B) Return 650W fan, and just use the old 450W fan because 650W is over kill?
C) Buy a new case because the p180 is old and bad?

franzer

Any opinions/thoughts?

I have this monitor, its fantastic. It does require some out of the box color tweaking though, but once you do it, i think you'll love it. This came from reddit, but i've seen it cross-posted in a few places and is the general recommended settings at this point.

Nvidia Control Panel Adjust desktop color settings:

Brightness-50%

Contrast-50% Gamma-0.60%

Digital vibrance-70%

Hue-0
CLICK APPLY

DELL Monitor settings:

Brightness-26%

Contrast-75%

Color>Custom Color:

R-97%

G-99%

B-96%

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

kuYuri

I'm putting together an updated PC based largely on recommended parts from a PC gaming friend and I found a wrinkle in the setup.

Essentially the PSU that was recommend and I purchased is too deep to fit well in my old Antec p180 ATX case. It's right up next to the fan. The new PSU is a EVGA 650W one that is ~18cm deep whereas the old one was a Corsair 450W PSU that was ~14cm deep and fit perfectly.

PSU is something I don't really understand that well and I don't know what I actually need. When I added in all the following parts into the PC part picker, it says I only need about 300W so unless my several HDs draw that much power, I'm not really sure why my friend recommended this 650W PSU. Couldn't I just use my old 450W one? I'm not overclocking or anything...

The following parts were purchased:
PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card

The case doesn't really allow me to move that bottom fan so it seems to me my options are some combination of the below:

A) Return 650W fan, find something that is 14cm and fits the case?
B) Return 650W fan, and just use the old 450W fan because 650W is over kill?
C) Buy a new case because the p180 is old and bad?

Option B. The 450W PSU will be fine for your system.

A little of option C, cause it wouldn't hurt to go with a modern case with more features these days. :p

kami_sama

SSD or HDD?

Good HDD: Western Digital Blue - for example WD10EZEX, humming along for 2+ years in my main PC as a secondary drive. Perfect bill of health. :)
Good SSHD options are Seagate Firecuda series.

As far as SSD goes, Samsung is still king. If you can, wait for 960 series.

Nope. All good. You can change the default install folder all the time. I have Titanfall 2 on D: and DA:I on C for example.

From personal experience:

SSD: Samsung for performance, Crucial for cheap and good enough (both should be reliable)
HDD: WD blacks for performance, blues for storage I guess? (Not sure how greens fare nowadays for reliability)
Hdd. My ssd is still going strong. So WD it is then.

inner-G

Banned
I have this monitor, its fantastic. It does require some out of the box color tweaking though, but once you do it, i think you'll love it. This came from reddit, but i've seen it cross-posted in a few places and is the general recommended settings at this point.

Nvidia Control Panel Adjust desktop color settings:

Brightness-50%

Contrast-50% Gamma-0.60%

Digital vibrance-70%

Hue-0
CLICK APPLY

DELL Monitor settings:

Brightness-26%

Contrast-75%

Color>Custom Color:

R-97%

G-99%

B-96%

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm
Thanks!

I've read some mixed things about it, I think I'm going to see if they have a demo unit set up at my local store

Tiktaalik

Option B. The 450W PSU will be fine for your system.

A little of option C, cause it wouldn't hurt to go with a modern case with more features these days. :p

This is kind of what I figured. This might be my fault because we were spitballing about other things and other graphics cards and so maybe I took a recommendation from earlier in the conversation without paying close enough attention.

I'm not opposed to a new case either... From the front page I see there's a listing of a few. I'd lean to quietness over anything. Do you have any thoughts of what should I look into given the specs I listed?

ISee

An R9 290X to a GTX 1070 = Yay? Nah? 1080p/1440p/4k

Wait? Or do eet.

It is a huge enough jump in performance.
If your cpu is up to it you can go for

1080p/60 on mostly ultra
1440p/60 on a mix of high-ultra
3200x1800/60 (upscaled to 4k, looks surprisingly good imo, still worse then native 4k) on a mix of medium-high
4k/30 on mostly high

Personally I went with the 1440p solution on my 1070 till the next generation of GPUs + 4k gaming hdr displays arrive.

rx 470 with a 3570k. Good combo for a simple 1080p rig?

For a simple one? Yes. Just don't expect to get locked 60 all the time.

Instro

Anyone have experience with the Gigabyte G1 RX480? It looks like I'm going to have to RMA the one I bought a couple weeks ago, as it seems to constantly have crashing issues, and I'm wondering what the quality of the entire Gigabyte line is with this card.

Xiofire

Anyone have experience with the Gigabyte G1 RX480? It looks like I'm going to have to RMA the one I bought a couple weeks ago, as it seems to constantly have crashing issues, and I'm wondering what the quality of the entire Gigabyte line is with this card.

Did you run an Nvidia card before this? I had the same problems a few years ago going from a 560Ti to a 7970. Have you DDU'd before installing the new RX480?

If not the case, maybe dial back the clocks to a stock RX480? Maybe the Gigabyte is factory OC'd?

Shoyz

After getting a 50" 4K smart tv for $250, monitor searching is disheartening!

With an approx. $600 budget, I was looking at 'LG 34UC79G-B'; it had the big screen size (UW would need at least 32 inches to match the height of my 24" 16:10) of 34", the 144hz, ultrawide and curved screen I wanted /right/ at my budget, but the one big caveat is that it's only a 1080 resolution, with a PPI that drops well below my current monitor. Which I'm sure would still look fine, and would make for easier gaming FPS, but for $600 I'd hate to compromise.

Microboard's M340CLZ came out recently. At $700, it uses a Samsung panel, is a 1440 resolution 34 inch, running at native 100hz, curved ultrawide. Supposedly allows 144hz at 1080 resolution. Downside is that it's an off-brand, and no G-Sync (however important that is)

Does acer ever restock their refurbished store?

Hi everyone, I have been thinking of getting a new PC for gaming and learning 3D Modelling (ZBrush Core). I don't know much about building a PC so I follow Haz's PC Build Sheet and compile this list. Do you think it is good enough? I am not living in the US, so I can't use all those online shopping sites, but I have checked local dealers and this list is well within the budget. My budget is $900.

GN4oXKp.png

BTW, I have a DVD drive so I don't need to buy a new one.

Thank you.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
so, lets talk monitors..

Ive found the only viable option for me is the ASUS PG278QR, which sells for a whopping 700€ over on amazon.de

Ive learned that CES is arround the corner and that there will propably be announcements of new monitors.
Do you guys think it is worth the wait in that the PG278QR will be getting significamntly cheaper shortly after? i dont want to wait long becaue my current display situation is horrible.

Or should i just get the PG278QR right now?

also, the PG278QR is a 165Hz monitor. is 165hz where the monitor works best or do i also get all the benefits on lower rates? OR to put it simple: Does a 165Hz monitor perform as well at 144Hz as a native 144Hz monitor would? Or at 120Hz and 60 compared to native 120 and 60Hz displays? Or is it best to aim for 165fps always when using a 165Hz monitor?

BraXzy

The mixamp is what gives you the virtual surround. The adapter will allow you to connect to your audio source (PC), without getting a sound card, since its toslink only.

I recently got round to trying this out and it didn't fix the problem. I may have been doing it wrong but at the minute the mixamp still just passes through audio, the virtual surround sound / sound mixing doesn't work.

Thinking of picking up a dedicated sound card, specifically this one: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asu...ce=google+shopping&utm_medium=google+shopping

For SPIDF out. This would fit into an XPS 8910 right?

XPS 8910 Slots said:
• One PCIe x16 card slot
• Two PCIe x1 card slots
• One PCIe x4 card slot

enewtabie

Any opinions/thoughts?

Buy it. Great monitor. I looked over specs,pricing,did I want to go Ultrawide, did I want to spend 1000 bucks plus on a monitor. Did I want to do multiple monitors. I got the Dell 2716DG for $500 and I love it. Going from 23" to 27" makes it seem so much bigger when you sit in front of it. I haven't used the settings listed,but it looks great playing Doom,BF1,etc.

Instro

Did you run an Nvidia card before this? I had the same problems a few years ago going from a 560Ti to a 7970. Have you DDU'd before installing the new RX480?

If not the case, maybe dial back the clocks to a stock RX480? Maybe the Gigabyte is factory OC'd?

No it's amd to amd, I ran ddu and all of that already though. Reading online it seems like this was a problem with the card at one point, but newer vbios fixed the issue. Having said that I'm pretty sure I have the most recent. Adjusting fan profiles seems to help, the base wattman settings causes it to crash almost instantly, but even then it seems to crash with temps in the low to mid 60s which doesnt seem right at all. There's some mentions of undervolting fixing the issue, which might be my next test.

The Chef

Appropriate to ask game related issues here?

I just started my first pc game on my new rig. Dues Ex Mankind Divided.
Maybe I can get your guys help with something.
I was running it at Very High setting at max resolution. I think it's 4K? I have a Dell ultra wide 32" monitor.
There isn't a fps meter that I could find but it looked really really good.
However I had to tone down my mouse to 10% sensitivity in the game. Even the. It's a bit too fast.
But mostly I started to feel a bit queezy playing it. I can't figure it out. I'm not sure if it's a refresh rate or what. I tried messing with vsync and stuff but that really didn't change it.
Its hard to describe but it just feels "uncomfortable" playing it. 😕
Maybe there are some settings i should change?

Appropriate to ask game related issues here?

I just started my first pc game on my new rig. Dues Ex Mankind Divided.
Maybe I can get your guys help with something.
I was running it at Very High setting at max resolution. I think it's 4K? I have a Dell ultra wide 32" monitor.
There isn't a fps meter that I could find but it looked really really good.
However I had to tone down my mouse to 10% sensitivity in the game. Even the. It's a bit too fast.
But mostly I started to feel a bit queezy playing it. I can't figure it out. I'm not sure if it's a refresh rate or what. I tried messing with vsync and stuff but that really didn't change it.
Its hard to describe but it just feels "uncomfortable" playing it. 😕
Maybe there are some settings i should change?

You can find the specific resolution in the graphical settings. Most often what is referred to as '4K' is 3840×2160 - you can have resolutions below that which are still above 1080p though.

For queasiness issues, perhaps tinker around with the FoV (Field of View)?

The Chef

You can find the specific resolution in the graphical settings. Most often what is referred to as '4K' is 3840×2160 - you can have resolutions below that which are still above 1080p though.

For queasiness issues, perhaps tinker around with the FoV (Field of View)?

Ok rockin. I'll give that a shot.

Renewed

Ordered most of my previously mentioned parts now (upped the RAM to 16GB), just gotta wait it out

I use a single arm version of that and it's pretty good for what I need, but the only problem I've had so far is the tendency to lean about a degree to the side my monitor is on. I think that has to do with the screw that connects the base to the "spine." That price is what I paid for the single arm version though so that's a pretty nice price for it. Looking at reviews, I'd say consider it with the negatives in mind but know that it gets the job done.

Yeoman

Hi guys, I'm building a very cheap budget PC for a CUDA project, just wondering if there are any compatibility issues with these parts:
PCPartPicker part list:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/9QdkHN

CPU:
Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard:
MSI H110I Pro Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory:
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage:
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card:
MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card
Case:
Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply:
EVGA 430W PC Power Supply - White

Yoshi88

So i'm looking for a new PC to play Planet Coaster and some other current building/ strategy games quite nicely. Seeing as this is one of those simulation-heavy PC games, that are not only GPU but quite CPU-hungry too (alá Cities Skylines or Anno 2205, which i'm also looking to play), do you guys think a combo of an i7 6700k (4,0 GHz/ 4,2 Boost) and a GTX1080 or an OC i7 6700k with 4,8 GHz (OC by manufacturer) and a GTX 1070 is more suitable?

I'm not willing to OC myself as i'm more of a layman, but i'm looking into different configurations of a rig built by a more professional PC builder.

RootCause

An odd thing that's been occurring every now and then when I turn on my pc. I can move the cursor, but I can't select anything. I usually reset or turn it on/off and it's back to normal.

What do you guys think it's the problem?

enewtabie

An odd thing that's been occurring every now and then when I turn on my pc. I can move the cursor, but I can't select anything. I usually reset or turn it on/off and it's back to normal.

What do you guys think it's the problem?

Blue circle or does the arrow remain?

Rizific

so i guess my asus xonar dg died. any recommendations for a similarly priced alternative? really just looking for something to amp my A700s. im ok with buying another xonar dg, but are there any other options i should be looking at?

Someone talk me out of upgrading my GTX970. I'm currently playing Hitman, Witcher 3, GTAV. Current specs: i5 4690k @ stock 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM PC connected to 4k TV. Right now, older games work great at 4k but anything recent I'm playing at 1080p Ultra, maybe a little super sampling. An added wrinkle is that my TV won't do 1440p at anything above 30FPS. I'm getting the itch to upgrade despite there being no real clear advantage to the money I'd have to spend. Ultimately, I'd really like to play at 4k with at least 40+fps. If I sell the 970 + $100 that puts me in 1060 territory, but that's not really worthwhile. I could shell out ~$200 for a 1070 but even while that gets me closer to my goal I'd probably be better off waiting longer for something affordable that can do 4k60Hz. I can't afford spending $500-700 on a 1080 or 1080ti when it releases. I should just stick with the 970 for a while more, right? I suppose I could overclock the 970 but it's already an EVGA SC edition so not sure how much more I could squeeze out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom