• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

I have never OC'd before. What do you figure is a safe starting point for a rookie?

1.35 at 4.5?

If it's too much, does the system crash or what typically happens?

Depends on cooling, id start with 1.3v 4.4Ghz.
Worst thing that could happen is that itll crash/BSOD. And if coolings sufficient itll clock down throttle the voltage back.

An average 6700k will do 4.5Ghz 1.35v.

Also depends how you will stress test, more rigorous tests will cause temps to be a lot hotter and thus will reduce your OC margin - unless you delid and watercool.

i tried to oc my 6700k on the first day but didnt like the heat and power consumption. runs at 4,2 with 1,13v now

Not really an overclock since the 6700K does single core turbo at 4.2Ghz. This is just all core turbo ;) But still handy to have.

paskowitz

I have never OC'd before. What do you figure is a safe starting point for a rookie?

1.35 at 4.5?

If it's too much, does the system crash or what typically happens?

You would be best searching the YouTubes for a comprehensive guide.

Short version: Start stock and then increase clocks by .1, stress, increase clocks, wait till crash. Go back to last stable clock, then increase volts by ~.05, start increasing clocks and repeat until you hit 1.45v or 80c or instant crashing.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Looking at things again I think I'll go with the enthusiast build in the OP for my new one since this one is pretty much slowly failing in all areas. Just going to transplant the 1080 and the SSD I got from that Samsung coupon mistake so pretty much an entirely new build.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My 6700K is clocking for garbage and is sucking the ever loving hell out of voltage, really pushing itself way too hard to get over 4.4
Think there's any chance of of the 1TB Samsung 850 Evo going back on sale for $250 on New Years?
Probably, unless the 960's don't actually release by then.
Again, holding out for the 960 EVO (3200MB/s read) if you have an m.2 slot is ideal.
Looking at things again I think I'll go with the enthusiast build in the OP for my new one since this one is pretty much slowly failing in all areas. Just going to transplant the 1080 and the SSD I got from that Samsung coupon mistake so pretty much an entirely new build.
Repeating, but if you're doing a full new build getting a Z270 and 7700K with support for Optane (and optane like stuff) would be very price comparable to the Z170 build.

kami_sama

I have a very strange problem on my hard drive. Worked perfectly until today, when I installed Doom on it. Now it takes a lot more time to load game than before (only those on that hdd).
Any idea how could it have occurred or a way to solve it?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Repeating, but if you're doing a full new build getting a Z270 and 7700K with support for Optane (and optane like stuff) would be very price comparable to the Z170 build.

Oh nice thank you! Do you have any idea when the 7700K and Z270 will be out?
I was planning on grabbing everything next week after I got back from Christmas break since my current build has been breaking down fast this month for whatever reason so I think I can wait a few weeks at most.

z3phon

Depends on cooling, id start with 1.3v 4.4Ghz.
Worst thing that could happen is that itll crash/BSOD. And if coolings sufficient itll clock down throttle the voltage back.

An average 6700k will do 4.5Ghz 1.35v.

Also depends how you will stress test, more rigorous tests will cause temps to be a lot hotter and thus will reduce your OC margin - unless you delid and watercool.

Not really an overclock since the 6700K does single core turbo at 4.2Ghz. This is just all core turbo ;) But still handy to have.
I've got a 6700k and have it set to 4.5 at 1.24v. Is there any risk to having it set to something low like 1.24v? I've been running it at 1.24v for weeks haven't experienced any crashes.

Unkle

Been getting mixed reports, but what fps should I expect to get on Overwatch (2560x1440 on epic settings) with a 1070/6700k?

Kabouter

My PC is busted and I want to get a new one, apologies if this has been asked already, but should I wait for Intel Kaby Lake CPUs and associated motherboards or should I get a build with presently available stuff? No intention to OC, but CPU performance is important to me and was often the major limiting factor in my current PC when gaming (4670k), it's a strategy game thing I suppose.

Bloodember

My PC is busted and I want to get a new one, apologies if this has been asked already, but should I wait for Intel Kaby Lake CPUs and associated motherboards or should I get a build with presently available stuff? No intention to OC, but CPU performance is important to me and was often the major limiting factor in my current PC when gaming (4670k), it's a strategy game thing I suppose.
Rumored launch is first week of January, Intel has only said Q1.

My daughter and I built this back in August as her Bday present. It's not a beastly rig, but for her first PC it's pretty nice.

A8nySTM.jpg

i5-6500
7870XT(from my old build)
16GB DDR4 2400
1TB Western Digital
EVGA 600 Watt Bronze
Fractal Core 1100

We spent about $700 including Windows and monitor, without including the GPU.

I think the case is really good for only $26. It's pretty compact, but cools just fine.

luoapp

My daughter and I built this back in August as her Bday present. It's not a beastly rig, but for her first PC it's pretty nice.

i5-6500
7870XT(from my old build)
16GB DDR4 2400
1TB Western Digital
EVGA 600 Watt Bronze
Fractal Core 1100

We spent about $700 including Windows and monitor, without including the GPU.

I think the case is really good for only $26. It's pretty compact, but cools just fine.

Time to give her an SSD as an X'mas gift.
(but seriously, SSD is a worthwhile upgrade.)

Time to give her an SSD as an X'mas gift.
(but seriously, SSD is a worthwhile upgrade.)

While I love my SSD I don't think it's quite what she needs and I don't want to go through the hassle. We actually could have got her a new GPU, but went with a new laptop instead. Maybe a new GPU next year for her birthday. Probably a 480.

luoapp

While I love my SSD I don't think it's quite what she needs and I don't want to go through the hassle. We actually could have got her a new GPU, but went with a new laptop instead. Maybe a new GPU next year for her birthday. Probably a 480.

IMO, SSD is the first upgrade priority for any build without one. It is applicable from startup to shut down, browsing web, doing some word editing, playing games, everything. And it's very affordable now.

Chavelo

Case: DEEPCOOL Kendoman
SSD: Intel 600p 256gb
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z170XP-SLI
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

Currently rocking an ASUS 1080p 144hz monitor as my main monitor, not looking to upgrade that or a while.

What's the best card at the moment that can give me stable 144fps gameplay at 1080p resolution? I know the popular card at the moment is a 1070 GTX, but since I'll be rocking 1080p for a while, is there something a bit cheaper than can give me a good bang for my buck?

catmincer

Dumb question i am stuck with an FM2 motherboard. I have a 7650k and an r7 360. I have no idea if the CPU is upgradeable but if i were to go to an RX480 it should be a decent upgrade for gaming right?

rrs

What's the best card at the moment that can give me stable 144fps gameplay at 1080p resolution? I know the popular card at the moment is a 1070 GTX, but since I'll be rocking 1080p for a while, is there something a bit cheaper than can give me a good bang for my buck?
does your monitor have freesync or gsync
or nysnc
on it? A jump to a 1070 could be useful long term, esp. if VR starts to really catch on and keep 1080p optimization around, but otherwise a 480 (8 GB) would be a good long term card but expect to turn down settings for 144 hz.

Yay! I finally fixed my computer issues. It did take a full reinstall of Windows 10 to get it to work.

There's still a small issue I've had for ages where occasionally my SSD won't be recognized first and my older HDD will try to boot unsuccessfully. It's a little annoying but I just have to go into the BIOS whenever it happens to fix the boot order.

I probably should probably just splurge a bit and get a full new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and SSD to hopefully get all the cobwebs out of my systems, haha. But I'm thinking of going mATX and getting a smaller case, so I'm practically looking at a whole new computer at that point.

inner-G

Banned
Higher framerate are more taxing than higher resolutions, generally.

1080p at 144 takes more GPU than say 1440p at 60

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shit. Turned my pc on this morning, windows started up with an update, rebooted and now I'm stuck at a flashing cursor just after the bios screen. Bios seems to ignore the SSD unless I force it.

Could it be a coincidental SSD failure or more likely the Windows update screwed something?

I don't have a recent backup but all of my important files are not on the boot drive and are backed up too. So a reinstall would be ok but annoying. What are my steps to see if there is a simpler way to get it working?

Zel3

GAF I just got my dream case a few days ago.

I spent over $1200 on it :D

http://www.xforma.com/

It looks as good as it does in the pictures, now I'm trying to decide if I should go with the X99 platform or wait for Kaby Lake. Is it too late in the X99 platforms life for it be worth it?

Mupod

the benchmarks so far aren't indicating any actual performance increase for the 7700k over the 6700k. At this point I guess you might as well wait, but I got some good black friday prices on hardware so I didn't bother waiting myself. Also didn't feel like waiting for prices and availability to stabilize, which has been an issue in Canada lately.

Case in point, I'm sitting here watching prices for the Samsung 960 Evo SSDs jump all over the place even though nobody has ever had them in stock.

Shit. Turned my pc on this morning, windows started up with an update, rebooted and now I'm stuck at a flashing cursor just after the bios screen. Bios seems to ignore the SSD unless I force it.

Could it be a coincidental SSD failure or more likely the Windows update screwed something?

I don't have a recent backup but all of my important files are not on the boot drive and are backed up too. So a reinstall would be ok but annoying. What are my steps to see if there is a simpler way to get it working?

Make a Hiren's BootCD and try to fix the MBR. Might not work, but it's a simple thing to try. This is assuming you can actually see the SSD...if the SSD isn't showing up at all then yeah it might have just failed.

Other stupid things to try could include checking the cable, assuming it's SATA.

Hrothgar

Finally bit the bullet and started ordering components for my new PC, replacing a my trusty 6 year old machine:

- Intel Core i5-6500
- Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H
- 16 GB RAM (Crucial CT2K8G4DFD8213, 2.133Mhz)
- 1 TB (WD Blue WD10EZEX)
- Arctic Freezer i32
- Seasonic M12II Evo 520W
- Fractal Design Define Mini C

Already had a 250 GB 850 EVO SSD

Now the choice is between a GTX 1060 or a 1070, and depending on that a 1080p or 1440p monitor.

So I pulled the trigger on an MSI rx 470 4gb this week. My specs are:

i5-3570k
16gb RAM
650W PSU

I want to mainly have my PC as a place to play Xbox play anywhere games (since this is cheaper than a One) and other random stuff. Not looking for a powerhouse. How should my build do? This is the first time I've upgraded my PC since I first built it in 2012.

rtcn63

Finally bit the bullet and started ordering components for my new PC, replacing a my trusty 6 year old machine:

- Intel Core i5-6500
- Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H
- 16 GB RAM (Crucial CT2K8G4DFD8213, 2.133Mhz)
- 1 TB (WD Blue WD10EZEX)
- Arctic Freezer i32
- Seasonic M12II Evo 520W
- Fractal Design Define Mini C

Already had a 250 GB 850 EVO SSD

Now the choice is between a GTX 1060 or a 1070, and depending on that a 1080p or 1440p monitor.

Maybe go for a K processor and an overclocking board (if that isn't one). Games are being more and more limited by CPU, and frankly replacing a the GPU in a few years is significantly less of a hassle than the CPU.

Hrothgar

Maybe go for a K processor and an overclocking board (if that isn't one). Games are being more and more limited by CPU, and frankly replacing a the GPU in a few years is significantly less of a hassle than the CPU.

I considered it, but that involved spending atleast another 100 euros on a better mobo and CPU, and I've had bad experiences with system stability when I overclocked my last CPU (i5-760).

Megauap

I considered it, but that involved spending atleast another 100 euros on a better mobo and CPU, and I've had bad experiences with system stability when I overclocked my last CPU (i5-760).

The K processors are meant to be overclocked so it should be a better experience.

I may have to make a separate thread for this, but what are some recommendations for managing multiple hard drives?

Ideally, when I choose to download a game (mostly via Steam, the Windows store, or Origin), I'd like to be able to choose which hard drive I use, either my SSD or mechanical drive.

However, I don't see how you can do that, and I'm not exactly sure about the next best option.

I may have to make a separate thread for this, but what are some recommendations for managing multiple hard drives?

Ideally, when I choose to download a game (mostly via Steam, the Windows store, or Origin), I'd like to be able to choose which hard drive I use, either my SSD or mechanical drive.

However, I don't see how you can do that, and I'm not exactly sure about the next best option.
What do you mean? You can do that. Steam asks you every time when you start installing where do you want to install the game.
For Windows Store, it's a bit trickier, but not impossible, you just have to change the default HDD. Go to Settings -> Storage -> select the preferred HDD in "New apps will save to:" option.
Origin, Uplay, Battle.net all have options on the default download folder.

Celcius

°Temp. member
GAF I just got my dream case a few days ago.

I spent over $1200 on it :D

http://www.xforma.com/

It looks as good as it does in the pictures, now I'm trying to decide if I should go with the X99 platform or wait for Kaby Lake. Is it too late in the X99 platforms life for it be worth it?

Congrats! That's a really nice case, good to see it finally released.
As far as X99 vs Z270, what will you be using the computer for? I'm in a similar situation but with Skylake-X and Ryzen coming out in 2017 there's no way I'm buying Broadwell-E (whose performance clockspeed for clockspeed is identical to Haswell-E from 2014 by the way) at this stage in the game. Since I mainly just play games I'm going with Kaby Lake 7700k. The higher performance per core and much higher clock speeds will be more valuable there.

kami_sama

Does anyone know of the best manufacturer for hard drives (outside of HGST).
WD, Seagate or Toshiba? I want to change my drive after it started going slow, but I don't know what to choose.

Mupod

Well, the price would absolutely be worth it, even with the cooler added to that. But budgets are budgets.

If your previous bad experience is the deciding factor, it really shouldn't be. Overclocking is easy these days.

What do you mean? You can do that. Steam asks you every time when you start installing where do you want to install the game.
For Windows Store, it's a bit trickier, but not impossible, you just have to change the default HDD. Go to Settings -> Storage -> select the preferred HDD in "New apps will save to:" option.
Origin, Uplay, Battle.net all have options on the default download folder.

I must have missed it the last time I downloaded a Steam game (I've only had the SSD for a few weeks and most of my recent downloads have been on Origin). Figures that Steam would have the easiest solution.

So, for Origin, I won't have problems (e.g., DRM issues) if I have some games on one drive and different games on another?

Thanks.

WD, Seagate or Toshiba? I want to change my drive after it started going slow, but I don't know what to choose.

SSD or HDD?

Good HDD: Western Digital Blue - for example WD10EZEX, humming along for 2+ years in my main PC as a secondary drive. Perfect bill of health. :)
Good SSHD options are Seagate Firecuda series.

As far as SSD goes, Samsung is still king. If you can, wait for 960 series.

So, for Origin, I won't have problems (e.g., DRM issues) if I have some games on one drive and different games on another?Thanks.

Nope. All good. You can change the default install folder all the time. I have Titanfall 2 on D: and DA:I on C for example.

teiresias

Really feeling that my upgrade to an ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor is calling for an upgrade from my 980 to a 1080. Would really like to break 45fps in Witcher 3 - and the increased VRAM will probably be a godsend too.

Zel3

Congrats! That's a really nice case, good to see it finally released.
As far as X99 vs Z270, what will you be using the computer for? I'm in a similar situation but with Skylake-X and Ryzen coming out in 2017 there's no way I'm buying Broadwell-E (whose performance clockspeed for clockspeed is identical to Haswell-E from 2014 by the way) at this stage in the game. Since I mainly just play games I'm going with Kaby Lake 7700k. The higher performance per core and much higher clock speeds will be more valuable there.

Thanks, I've been following the progress of the mkII for years now it's crazy to have it in my office area.

I'd mostly be doing gaming on it, school work and programming so I think I'm just going to go with Kaby Lake and z270 this January and when X299 rolls around I could just jump on that if it's worth the money. X99 seems like a dead end path at this point.

rtcn63

From personal experience:

SSD: Samsung for performance, Crucial for cheap and good enough (both should be reliable)
HDD: WD blacks for performance, blues for storage I guess? (Not sure how greens fare nowadays for reliability)

Hey guys, I'm stuck between building a mini pc (due to lack of room) or going with a laptop. I have about 1700 I can spend. Already got a monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers so that won't be part of the budget. I do travel a little for work and I have a work laptop that handles most of that so this will solely be used as a gaming machine. Should I just pull the trigger on a pascal laptop or go for a build?

LilJoka

Hey guys, I'm stuck between building a mini pc (due to lack of room) or going with a laptop. I have about 1700 I can spend. Already got a monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers so that won't be part of the budget. I do travel a little for work and I have a work laptop that handles most of that so this will solely be used as a gaming machine. Should I just pull the trigger on a pascal laptop or go for a build?

If you can accommodate a mini ITX PC, then build a rig.Itll be far superior to any laptop for the same money.

Is that 1700USD?

LilJoka

On Steam you add a new Library Path in the settings. Then when installing games itll ask which path you want to use. Steam - Settings - Downloads - Library Folders.

Windows Store - Open the Settings app, and click/tap on the System icon.
Click/tap on Storage on the left side. On the right side under Save locations, select the drive you want New apps will save to.

Origin - can only have one library path as far as i know.

SickBoy

I've been putting off my computer for a little while (busy), but at this stage I'm wondering if it's worth waiting until January, with Kaby Lake desktop chips supposedly launching early in the month? I'm not usually too worried about "Wait for X," but if three weeks is worth a 10% performance gain, maybe it's not such a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom