• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a substantial upgrade over the 750 Ti. I was just watching a video where the 750 Ti was getting 30 fps in Battlefield 1 while the 1050 Ti was getting 55-60.

More fans/bigger fans can make a difference when it comes to cooling more powerful GPUs, but the 1050 Ti is so power efficient and cool already that I don't think you'll have any issues with the mini.

I'll go with the mini then. I don't really play many AAA games and only intend to do 1080p, so I doubt I'll throw anything at it that would benefit from the extra fan.

Doing a little research on my own about rumors. Are these new options going to compete for a $700 build? Seems like the new GPUs may be enthusiast grade stuff that will be way out of budget for me.

Right now my build consists of the i5 6500 and GTX 1060 6gb.

Well, if AMD delivers and VEGA can compete with Nvidia's higher end then the prices for all their line-up will be driven down, given the presumption that AMD will price it lower to attract market-share. The same situation can be hoped for on the CPU front against Intel.

That 700 budget plus the 1060 and i5 resale would be more than enough to get you a way more powerful GPU, and if things go extremely well, maybe even a i7 to replace that i5 of yours. No reason to go with a completely new build.

Gaogaogao

how do yall sell a computer? I have this stuff but idk what its worth

- intel i5 750 cpu (2.66 ghz stock, can oc to 3.7 ghz)
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 heat sink (with 2 fans)
- gigabyte p55 ud4p motherboard
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
- msi gtx 770 2gb 2 fan cooler
- 610w pc power and cooling power supply

I finally jumped into the PC gaming

i7 6770 @ 4.0ghz
Nvidia GeForce 1070 8GB GDDR5
16GB Ram
ASRock Z170 motherboard
Logitech G910 keyboard
Logitech G900 Mouse
Corsair MM880 mouse pad
Samsung 24 inch curved monitor (Nothing fancy spec wise)

Pagusas

Elden Member
Glad I jumped on the $250 6700k a few months ago instead of waiting for the 7700k. Clock for clock basically the same thing -_- Saved a ton and built a great computer at a super discount.

Red Devil

Hey guys can you help me picking a GPU? Currently I have an i5 4460 and 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz of RAM, I've been looking around on a GPU that would allow me to play games(or at least some of them) at 1080p and stay 60fps on high settings(if possible). So is the 3GB GTX 1060 is a good fit? Or should I go for the GTX 1050 Ti? Or maybe the 6GB GTX 1060?

Also ASUS or MSI?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hey guys can you help me picking a GPU? Currently I have an i5 4460 and 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz of RAM, I've been looking around on a GPU that would allow me to play games(or at least some of them) at 1080p and stay 60fps on high settings(if possible). So is the 3GB GTX 1060 is a good fit? Or should I go for the GTX 1050 Ti? Or maybe the 6GB GTX 1060?

Also ASUS or MSI?

a 1060 will do you very well, preferably the 6gb, but at 1080p you'll be playing all your games on high setting without any issue.

rtcn63

a 1060 will do you very well, preferably the 6gb, but at 1080p you'll be playing all your games on high setting without any issue.

I'd go with the 6GB as well, the 3GB 1060 is about on par with a 970 in performance. And I'd probably get a MSI Gaming 1060, they're not particularly expensive and very quiet, although I'd search their forum/reddit/etc. in case there are known issues with the card(s).

Steel

Banned

Also ASUS or MSI?

I wouldn't go with a 3 GB 1060. You're better off with a 4gb 480 or an 8gb 470 for the price range. The 6 gb 1060 is the best of your choices overall.

So, is the latest on 7700K release date still late January/February? A while back Fry's had it listed on their website as "Pre-order, arrives on 1/4/2017", but then they quickly took it down and I haven't found it anywhere else since.

Looks like 7700k reviews are out today but I don't see it listed on newegg or amazon... I'm guessing today was a paper launch? Any news on retail availability?

I've been hoping for it to hit retailers soon, my new build will be based on a 7700k. :D

I think i've decided on this one to upgrade from my 970

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GXOX3SW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Good to go? Does anyone have any experience with a display port to hdmi cable? Shouldn't be any loss in quality right?
The ASUS 1070 STRIX I have now has 2 HDMI ports, only 1070 with more than one if I remember correctly.

Tiefooz

I built a new PC over the holiday break, upgrading my 2500k to a 6700k, DDR4 RAM, same GPU (980ti). After all the back and forth on GAF and several other boards about whether or not the performance increase would merit the upgrade, I was pleased to see that it made a profound, measurable difference -- a gain of about 25-35 FPS at 3440x1440 in Battlefield 1, for instance -- more or less across the board.

If anybody's still rocking a 2500k and is considering an upgrade now that the 7xxx reviews are out, I'd say go for it. I'm still gonna hang onto that board and chip, though. I can't believe that wee bastard soldiered through five years of heavy use and overclocking with absolutely no issues. Goddamned champion of a chip.

masterkajo

I built a new PC over the holiday break, upgrading my 2500k to a 6700k. After all the back and forth on GAF and several other boards about whether or not the performance increase would merit the upgrade, I was pleased to see that it made a profound, measurable difference -- 25-35 FPS at 3440x1440 in Battlefield 1, for instance -- more or less across the board.

If anybody's still rocking a 2500k and is considering an upgrade now that the 7xxx reviews are out, I'd say go for it. I'm still gonna hang onto that board and chip, though. I can't believe that wee bastard soldiered through five years of heavy use and overclocking with absolutely no issues. Goddamned champion of a chip.

I think this does it for me. I am still waiting on CES, Ryzen and Vega news (maybe 1080ti) but after that my good old 2500k will have to step aside. He served me well. What a great buy he was. metalgearsolid3endingsalute.jpg

Any suggestions for a new video card for my kid? Was thinking of the 1050 strix. He has a geforce 690 now. He mainly plays minecraft and some indie stuff on steam, but he can't play anything recent with me.

Syncytia

I built a new PC over the holiday break, upgrading my 2500k to a 6700k, DDR4 RAM, same GPU (980ti). After all the back and forth on GAF and several other boards about whether or not the performance increase would merit the upgrade, I was pleased to see that it made a profound, measurable difference -- 25-35 FPS at 3440x1440 in Battlefield 1, for instance -- more or less across the board.

Also have a 980Ti and play at 3440x1440. Did the same upgrade except I went for the 6800K and I'm extremely happy with it. If you're on the fence, do it!

so ive been out of the PC world for a while considering my current desktop is 5 years old at least! im not really up for building my own and im currently on the hunt for a very high end gaming pc.....so what are your thoughts on this

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?sel=DTP&id=Y4K32EA&opt=ABU&p=c-OMEN-by-HP-desktop

its early days in my hunt so if you guys have recommendations let me know

thanks
kinda odd coming to the build-a-pc thread about advice for not building a pc and buying prebuilt... but welcome back!

I havent built a complete rig since 2006 (originally a athlon x2 4200, currently a phenom2 x4 940be), and I'm building one for 2017 with a 7700k and a 1070, if it's any consolation.

You can do it! We believe in you, and we can help.

so ive been out of the PC world for a while considering my current desktop is 5 years old at least! im not really up for building my own and im currently on the hunt for a very high end gaming pc.....so what are your thoughts on this

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?sel=DTP&id=Y4K32EA&opt=ABU&p=c-OMEN-by-HP-desktop

its early days in my hunt so if you guys have recommendations let me know

thanks

If you are open to the idea I think asking for help and watching tutorials is the way to go. Building a PC is super stupid easy. You will save some money and get enjoyment out of it being yours.

I'm researching CPU's and it seems fairly unanimous that the current best for gaming is i5 6500 (or the 6600k if you're going to overclock at some point). Everything I'm reading says the i7 cards, both skylake and kaby lake, won't provide any benefit for gaming, and there's little or no performance games all else being equal.

So why do so many people go for i7 CPU's ??

Palmer27

Trying to boot from a usb stick as my pc has no disc drive. My motherboard is a B150M PRO-VDH
My ME is: 11.0.0.1202
My BIOS is the cleverly named version E7996IMS.140
I haven't been able to boot the pc yet.
The exact BIOS file is on the usb stick - I've double checked it is correct and tried with different usb sticks containing nothing but the file. I've been formatting the usb sticks from my macbook - is there an easy way to make them into a bootable drive?
My pc identifies the sticks as 'FSO: GENERIC FLASH DISK' - perhaps it should say BOOTABLE DRIVE?
Once I open the usb sticks from the BIOS menu, I'm greeted by 'THERE ISN'T ANY BIOS FILE IN THE USB KEY (ROOT FOLDER).
Can create a bootable drive from my macbook
Alternatively, I'm planning on borrowing a usb disc drive from a friend over the next few days and could try the disc my motherboard came with- should that be smooth sailing?

Thanks for reading my long post!

Dmax3901

Are you sure it's your card and not the game? Dishonored 2 has known performance issues, specifically that it's extraordinary CPU-taxing if you want to maintain 60fps without stutter.

Oh I know it's the game, I just know with a better card I'd be able to brute force it.

LilJoka

I'm researching CPU's and it seems fairly unanimous that the current best for gaming is i5 6500 (or the 6600k if you're going to overclock at some point). Everything I'm reading says the i7 cards, both skylake and kaby lake, won't provide any benefit for gaming, and there's little or no performance games all else being equal.

Just depends on the games, some are more CPU heavy and may see some benefit in frametimes and minimum fps, especially if you want very fps over 120.

LilJoka

Trying to boot from a usb stick as my pc has no disc drive. My motherboard is a B150M PRO-VDH
My ME is: 11.0.0.1202
My BIOS is the cleverly named version E7996IMS.140
I haven't been able to boot the pc yet.
The exact BIOS file is on the usb stick - I've double checked it is correct and tried with different usb sticks containing nothing but the file. I've been formatting the usb sticks from my macbook - is there an easy way to make them into a bootable drive?
My pc identifies the sticks as 'FSO: GENERIC FLASH DISK' - perhaps it should say BOOTABLE DRIVE?
Once I open the usb sticks from the BIOS menu, I'm greeted by 'THERE ISN'T ANY BIOS FILE IN THE USB KEY (ROOT FOLDER).
Can create a bootable drive from my macbook
Alternatively, I'm planning on borrowing a usb disc drive from a friend over the next few days and could try the disc my motherboard came with- should that be smooth sailing?

Thanks for reading my long post!

What are you trying to do exactly?
This sounds like a mix of trying to update a BIOS and trying to install windows.

rav

I do because I compile (C++) and do audio and video compression. Editing video is also a reason.
There's no wrong reason to get an i7 [imo]. More threads helps almost everything you do these days, especially if you do more than one thing at a time. I wouldn't recommend everyone to get one, but if someone has any reason why it might help, I wouldn't steer them away from it either.

I'm still rocking an i7 860 that's about 6 years old, and soon plan to upgrade to either RyZen or Kaby Lake [new 3DMemory stuff looks cool, but time will tell].

Amagon

I had taken the suggestions with my dilenma with the H100i v2 cooler and the i7 6700k heating issue that I had posted over the weekend.

I had removed the water block, cleaned off the thermal, replaced it with Artic Silver. The bracket that goes behind the mobo was loose when I had first installed it. So I put 2 rubber washers on each end so it wasn't loose anymore.

Then I hand tighted the screws on the block to the cpu, then with a couple turns with a screwdriver. At this point, I still have play where I can tighten a little more, but that is one of my issues. How do I know when I had tighten enough?

Besides that, I turned on the computer and now, temps are fluctuating but hitting a little over 50C degrees consistently after a couple minutes of on time.

I can use some suggestions at this point on what steps I should be taking next? Do I remove the rubber washers and reapply the thermal? How do I know the cooler is in contact with CPU?

LilJoka

I had taken the suggestions with my dilenma with the H100i v2 cooler and the i7 6700k heating issue that I had posted over the weekend.

I had removed the water block, cleaned off the thermal, replaced it with Artic Silver. The bracket that goes behind the mobo was loose when I had first installed it. So I put 2 rubber washers on each end so it wasn't loose anymore.

Then I hand tighted the screws on the block to the cpu, then with a couple turns with a screwdriver. At this point, I still have play where I can tighten a little more, but that is one of my issues. How do I know when I had tighten enough?

Besides that, I turned on the computer and now, temps are fluctuating but hitting a little over 50C degrees consistently after a couple minutes of on time.

I can use some suggestions at this point on what steps I should be taking next? Do I remove the rubber washers and reapply the thermal? How do I know the cooler is in contact with CPU?

The cooler should not wobble.
The factory's designs the mount such that you tighten the screws till the thread hits it's stops - you will feel the metal on metal contact.

If the cooler is loose and installed correctly, then either the motherboard is doing something that is not standard, an installation error, or corsair sent a bad unit.

I would go via Corsair support first if you are happy that installation followed their instructions.

anaron

looks like my budget is a lot lower than I thought when adding in taxes and shipping. :(

So, my Canadian budget is actually $800/900, light gaming for FF XIV, old games, don't care about VR, 4K

Amagon

The cooler should not wobble.
The factory's designs the mount such that you tighten the screws till the thread hits it's stops - you will feel the metal on metal contact.

If the cooler is loose and installed correctly, then either the motherboard is doing something that is not standard, an installation error, or corsair sent a bad unit.

I would go via Corsair support first if you are happy that installation followed their instructions.

Well, as of right now, I had turned off the computer after I made the initial post.  Remove the screws holding down the block, re tighten them til it won't go anymore.  

My uptime for almost 20 minutes now, and package temps are at a steady 26C degrees.  It shoots up to 50 a couple times but thats about that.  I guess since being new with a AIO setup, I hear the fans kick up and had me worried.  Don't know if thats a good thing or not.

Pagusas

Elden Member

I have that same cooler, the mounting bracket feels loose when you first put it on, but once you complete the build it should be perfectly tight. Mine felt loose until I tighten all the screws down, now it's rock solid (has to be because the tubes are bent at extreme angles off of it!)

What problems are you having? You should idle around ambient temp and hit 60-64c under heavy benchmarking. I'm running my 6700k at 1.36v, the most demanding burn test can put her up to 72c with that voltage.

Husker86

Ouch, :( I'm so sorry

Thanks.

Now it got worse. The replacement was going to take two weeks to get here so I am just going to get a refund and wait for the next round of monitors.

Somehow now my 24" 1080p monitors look worse than they did two weeks ago. Damn my tech thirst!

Amagon

I have that same cooler, the mounting bracket feels loose when you first put it on, but once you complete the build it should be perfectly tight. Mine felt loose until I tighten all the screws down, now it's rock solid (has to be because the tubes are bent at extreme angles off of it!)

What problems are you having? You should idle around ambient temp and hit 60-64c under heavy benchmarking. I'm running my 6700k at 1.36v, the most demanding burn test can put her up to 72c with that voltage.

I had temps hitting a max 61c earlier, due to a process running in the background that I had killed (TiWorker.exe) and I'm running at this time, Windows Update troubleshooter, as per the issue that process was about.

According to CPU-Z, the core voltage is at .752v. The temps had been at a steady 25-26c for the past half hour now while running this Windows Update troubleshooter. I hear the fans on the radiator start to wind up and dies after a few seconds with temps shooting up to around the mid 40's. Using the quiet profile on the Corsair Link.

Sargon

I know the recently-announced 7700K is barely an upgrade over the 6700K, but for someone still running Ivy Bridge 3770K, would this be a worthy upgrade to pair with my 980 Ti?

Bleepey

Any branded paste, like Arctic Cooling MX4. If you look for a comparison of pastes, youll see all the household models/brands.

Forget the rubbing alcohol if you havent got it, just use a paper towel to wipe the CPU and Cooler clean. Any remaining paste can be removed with a slightly damp paper towel, then dry with another paper towel.

Ok what's the best of the cheapest. I know nothing about brands. eBay U.K. Link would be awesome.

Oh i know, but I have dual monitors that only have HDMI ports. Most of the cards I'm seeing only have 1 HDMI port, so for the other monitor on my current 970, i'm having to use this clunky DVI to HDMI cable.

DVI to HDMI works just fine and you can't see the cables in the back anyway.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I had temps hitting a max 61c earlier, due to a process running in the background that I had killed (TiWorker.exe) and I'm running at this time, Windows Update troubleshooter, as per the issue that process was about.

According to CPU-Z, the core voltage is at .752v. The temps had been at a steady 25-26c for the past half hour now while running this Windows Update troubleshooter. I hear the fans on the radiator start to wind up and dies after a few seconds with temps shooting up to around the mid 40's. Using the quiet profile on the Corsair Link.

set your fans to change based on water temp, not cpu temp. By setting them to CPU temp they will rev up and down under load, which isnt productive at all. I have my fan curve set to have the fans at 20% when the water is 28c - 32c, then gradually rev up to 60% by 36c, and hitting 100% at 39c. After a 3 hour session with GTA5 my CPU temp never went about 61 and my fans never went above 30%.

fester

Banned
I built a new PC over the holiday break, upgrading my 2500k to a 6700k, DDR4 RAM, same GPU (980ti). After all the back and forth on GAF and several other boards about whether or not the performance increase would merit the upgrade, I was pleased to see that it made a profound, measurable difference -- a gain of about 25-35 FPS at 3440x1440 in Battlefield 1, for instance -- more or less across the board.

Did the same last week and will probably build a shrine for my 2500k. GOAT chip.

Amagon

set your fans to change based on water temp, not cpu temp. By setting them to CPU temp they will rev up and down under load, which isnt productive at all. I have my fan curve set to have the fans at 20% when the water is 28c - 32c, then gradually rev up to 60% by 36c, and hitting 100% at 39c. After a 3 hour session with GTA5 my CPU temp never went about 61 and my fans never went above 30%.

If you don't mind me for asking, I'm looking at the Corsair Link software and don't see where I can set those options that you are descibing to change the fans to water temp or edit the fan curve. I can set it to different profiles buts thats about that.

Anyone got a recommendation for a hard drive enclosure? Want a good 2.5" usb3 one and it's something that there are just too many options for and every time I get one it ends up having some bad controller or needs some sort of extra power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom