• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I know the recently-announced 7700K is barely an upgrade over the 6700K, but for someone still running Ivy Bridge 3770K, would this be a worthy upgrade to pair with my 980 Ti?

Is your cpu overclocked?
If so then your cpu is still certainly capable but now would also be a good time to upgrade if you wanted. You don't have to but if you've got the itch to upgrade then it's not a bad time :)
Another advantage of the newer platform is the newer chipset features.

Pacotez

Hey guys can you help me picking a GPU? Currently I have an i5 4460 and 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz of RAM, I've been looking around on a GPU that would allow me to play games(or at least some of them) at 1080p and stay 60fps on high settings(if possible). So is the 3GB GTX 1060 is a good fit? Or should I go for the GTX 1050 Ti? Or maybe the 6GB GTX 1060?

Also ASUS or MSI?

I'm very pleased with my nitro+ 470 8GB.
I haven't played much yet tho

Well, if AMD delivers and VEGA can compete with Nvidia's higher end then the prices for all their line-up will be driven down, given the presumption that AMD will price it lower to attract market-share. The same situation can be hoped for on the CPU front against Intel.

That 700 budget plus the 1060 and i5 resale would be more than enough to get you a way more powerful GPU, and if things go extremely well, maybe even a i7 to replace that i5 of yours. No reason to go with a completely new build.

I don't have anything right now. The build I'm planning to start will probably us the i5 6500 and GTX 1060 6gb. (my current PC is running an old i7 920 and GTX 285)

Is the only reason to wait so that the new stuff will drive down prices of what I currently want to build? Because I can't really see an i5 6500 and GTX 1060 going down so much as too make a half year wait worth it. They are already decently priced.

Arex

I'm probably moving overseas soon, and I don't think I could bring my midtower pc (define R5, 5820k, 980ti), so I'm thinking of building another, less powerful and more small form factor probably, maybe kaby lake and GTX 1060.

Is it possible to build a performance mini-ITX pc that can run dual monitor setup, or is it better to stick to mATX at least? What are your suggested case for either one if I may know? :)

Anyway, he gigabyte z270mx mATX mobo seems pretty good, but I can't find any reviews yet.

Here is a build I am thinking of. Would like to get PC-Gaf approved before I buy. I am willing to wait a bit if new stuff will be coming out that would fit into my price range of about $700.

Looking to run modern games at 1440p. Will this be enough?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $715.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-04 03:55 EST-0500

Steel

Banned
^ For most games, yeah, that'll do what you're aiming for.

I don't have anything right now. The build I'm planning to start will probably us the i5 6500 and GTX 1060 6gb. (my current PC is running an old i7 920 and GTX 285)

Is the only reason to wait so that the new stuff will drive down prices of what I currently want to build? Because I can't really see an i5 6500 and GTX 1060 going down so much as too make a half year wait worth it. They are already decently priced.

I doubt there will be a replacement for the 480 from AMD(maybe a rebrand), so I don't think there will be any new competition for the 1060. I'd say go ahead and pull the trigger on that much.

You might be able to get the processor for cheaper if you wait. If AMD actually competes with Zen, all Intel can do is reduce prices.

Bleepey

I brought cooler master paste. Is deodorant good enough for cleaning. What household shit can I use to remove the old paste?

^ For most games, yeah, that'll do what you're aiming for.

I doubt there will be a replacement for the 480 from AMD(maybe a rebrand), so I don't think there will be any new competition for the 1060. I'd say go ahead and pull the trigger on that much.

You might be able to get the processor for cheaper if you wait. If AMD actually competes with Zen, all Intel can do is reduce prices.

We will find out this week about the new AMD CPUs at CES anyways won't we?

Are the brand's and models I picked alright? I haven't built a computer since 2011 so I'm not sure what to avoid. For instance, I've never heard of the company making the memory I selected, but reviews seem okay. Speed a little low maybe.

Garuda1One

set your fans to change based on water temp, not cpu temp. By setting them to CPU temp they will rev up and down under load, which isnt productive at all. I have my fan curve set to have the fans at 20% when the water is 28c - 32c, then gradually rev up to 60% by 36c, and hitting 100% at 39c. After a 3 hour session with GTA5 my CPU temp never went about 61 and my fans never went above 30%.

wait, water temp = the temp of the pump in corsair link right ?
how do you set the fan based on that temp ?

Majine

Banned
Can someone educate me on RAM speed? My motherboard supports 2133Mhz (Standard) and 3144Mhz (OC), and browsing on the web it seems they all have 2133Mhz (Standard), is that like a universal law of DDR4?

So if I buy sticks with higher speed than that, I have to explicitly overclock it to take advantage or it will downclock to 2133Mhz?

knitoe

Can someone educate me on RAM speed? My motherboard supports 2133Mhz (Standard) and 3144Mhz (OC), and browsing on the web it seems they all have 2133Mhz (Standard), is that like a universal law of DDR4?

So if I buy sticks with higher speed than that, I have to explicitly overclock it to take advantage or it will downclock to 2133Mhz?

The fastest official Intel supported speed is 2133Mhz. Anything speeds over that is technically OC. It's simple to do. You just select the correct speed inside the Bios. And, yes, all faster rated speed can run slower just fine.

Hype for what? They're basically slightly higher clocked Skylake chips.

If you're already running Skylake, Broadwell or Haswell, there's almost nothing to be excited about.

you're right but if you looked at their last post you'd see they currently have an Phenom II X4 940 black edition. Surely a 7700K would be a good step up from that?

Plum

After all my deliberating and deciding all of the parts for my new PC are here! Hopefully this build should go a lot smoother than last time (having Noctua instead of the Hyper 12 Evo will definitely help, fuck that mounting solution), but we'll have to wait and see. Wish me luck, GAF!

chrislowe

If you're already running Skylake, Broadwell or Haswell, there's almost nothing to be excited about.

The benchmarks were like 1-2 fps faster at most compared to i7 6700....
So if the i7 6700 is way cheaper, I know what to get.

dude. I'm on a 10-year old ASUS Crosshair "1" AM2+ mobo on a modded BIOS to support my Phenom2 x4 940BE.

If I'm upgrading a 10-year old mobo and 6 year old CPU... for a new build, 7700K is the way to go!

Also:
ASUS Just unveiled their new Z270 boards! Including the new Z270i-STRIX Mini-ITX board! With 2x M.2 slots! 2!!!

From the ASUS Press Release a few hours ago: https://rog.asus.com/articles/maxim...est-maximus-ix-and-strix-gaming-motherboards/

"Obviously, there’s more to a PC build than just overclocking – storage also matters. As stated earlier, the Strix Z270I, features two M.2 slots. One at the front of the board, and another at the rear. The front-facing slot sits below the CPU socket, adjacent to the PCH, and features a double-decker heatsink that cools both the PCH and the M.2 drive. The M.2 portion of the heatsink is thermally isolated from the PCH, to avoid negative influence over temperatures. Final drive temps will, of course, depend on ambient temps, but a good mini-ITX chassis with reasonable airflow should be sufficient to keep temperatures well below throttling point."

You can actually see the little mini heat-sink for the front-facing M.2 Slot is below the CPU slot and above the PCI-E slot. :D

This is awesome! I had just ordered a 7700k a few hours ago (in stock on Amazon) and I had jumped on the old ASUS Z170, but quickly dropped it from my Amazon Cart after I saw the Z270i STRIX Press Release... 2x M.2 SLOTS!? I mean... on a Mini-ITX board? This is great! BUT ITS FREAKING AMAZING FOR S4-Mini owners! Now I don't need to buy an SSD or a 2.5inch HDD or SSHD at all. I just save up a bit a wait for my tax money to come in, and buy a 2nd M.2 PCI-E Intel 600p. I am just so hyped right now. This and the new 300W HDPLEX, and the possibility of a ZOTAC-1080-mini fitting in the S4 are just such big news for my S4-mini build!
you're right but if you looked at their last post you'd see they currently have an Phenom II X4 940 black edition. Surely a 7700K would be a good step up from that?
thanks for noticing my previous post! <3

Yeah that motherboard it's on was purchased in 2006 along with a Athlon x2 4200+ CPU (2.4GHx stock), before I upgraded to that Phenom2 back in 2011. This motherboard has been in that CMStacker830 for 10 years, everything on it has been upgraded. Time to put it to rest, once and for all.

Here's hoping this Z270i STRIX Mini-ITX board and a 7700K with DDR4-4000MHz lasts me at least half as long as my last build!

Pagusas

Elden Member
If you don't mind me for asking, I'm looking at the Corsair Link software and don't see where I can set those options that you are descibing to change the fans to water temp or edit the fan curve. I can set it to different profiles buts thats about that.

wait, water temp = the temp of the pump in corsair link right ?
how do you set the fan based on that temp ?

Open Corsair Link, Click "Configure", Click on your h100v2 Fan (Fans MUST be connected via the pumps fan connectors to be configurable), Change "Mode" to Custom, Select group as "h100 v2 Temp" and then manually setup your fan curve in the chart below.

Note: If you are using ANY other fan control software, such as Asus's AI Suite, it will disable Corsair Link's ability to control fan speed.

I currently have a little screamer of an HTPC that I wanted to maybe expand or rebuild.

AMD Athlon 5350
mITX AM1 board
x1 8gb DDR3
nvidia 750 ti
Raven RVZ02 case

It was built for max power savings while still having some performance on tap.

TDP of CPU 25w. TDP of GPU 60w.

I am wanting to see if maybe I can give the 750 ti a bit more breathing room for Rocket League and DOOM. Is there such thing as an mITX motherboard/cpu combo that would respond to the 750 ti positively? I am actually able to run both of these games at reasonable settings @ 720p. I was hoping maybe pushing 1080p @ 60fps with a swap to a better ITX setup without busting the bank?

rtcn63

Anyone got a recommendation for a hard drive enclosure? Want a good 2.5" usb3 one and it's something that there are just too many options for and every time I get one it ends up having some bad controller or needs some sort of extra power.

They almost all come with caveats. Something that might help- a powered USB 3.0 hub. I found it to be the only thing that keeps externals with iffy controllers from randomly disconnecting over time. (Well that and plugging the drives into a UPS) Mine is the Amazon branded one.

Mini ITX getting a whole lot more popular, good to see. The boards are getting better and better.
Dude... This ASUS board is something else. It's blowing all Mini-ITX z270's out of the water, dual M.2, AND rear USB 3.1 Type-C! And a Front-panel USB 3.1 Type-C header on the motherboard, this is insane.

On top of that, because it's only got 2 DDR4 slots, they are rated up to 4266MHz! So glad I splurged for the Corsiar Vengeance LPX 2x8GB kit @ 4000MHz!

Oh shit, I didn't see that. Enjoy the upgrades. :)
Thanks :D all I'm waiting to buy now is the Z270i Mini-ITX just announced from ASUS, and my S4-mini case, and I'm all set for the foreseeable future and I can put my old rig to rest.

Aside from clock speed and an extra fan, what would the difference between these two 1070s be?

I'm torn on which one to get. The MSI one would look cooler with my msi board, like that matters, but still (my MB is the MSI gaming M7). But the Asus card has the extra HDMI slot to make things easier for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HDUVJ1I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GXOX3SW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I personally have the ASUS. It's amazing and the clocks on it GPUboost themselves up to 2050MHz on the core, it's absolutely SILENT since you can set the fans not to run until they hit a certain temp (mine are off when it's below 60c), and when it does have full load it never reaches past 72c which is awesome, thermally.

And like you mentioned, the extra HDMI slot will help in the future if I plan to ever use VR.

LilJoka

Dude... This ASUS board is something else. It's blowing all Mini-ITX z270's out of the water, dual M.2, AND rear USB 3.1 Type-C! And a Front-panel USB 3.1 Type-C header on the motherboard, this is insane.

On top of that, because it's only got 2 DDR4 slots, they are rated up to 4266MHz! So glad I splurged for the Corsiar Vengeance LPX 2x8GB kit @ 4000MHz!

Thanks :D all I'm waiting to buy now is the Z270i Mini-ITX just announced from ASUS, and my S4-mini case, and I'm all set for the foreseeable future and I can put my old rig to rest.

Lets see how well the 7700k can run higher than 3000Mhz memory. I doubt there is a new memory controller, but possibly the better silicon could lead to faster ram speeds running stable. Most 6700k's need a lot more tweaking to get a CPU OC and RAM OC working togethor when over 4.5ghz+3000mhz.

JohnIIVII

Finally got all my parts in for my new computer build this past weekend! Specs are:

Case: IN WIN 805 Infinity
Motherboard: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: Intel 6800K
Heatsink: NZXT Kraken x52
RAM: GeIL EVO X 16GB DDR4 3200
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
Storage: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 2280 512GB (and external 2TB HDD)

Pulled my old 800W Rosewill Lightning PSU from my other computer. I am really happy with the build so far. Haven't had time to dive into overclocking and benchmarking yet.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Right so currently I’m sitting on an i5 4670 (not k) @3.4 - 3.8, 16GB DDR3 and a GTX 1080. I have the itch to upgrade to an i7 but the mobo (micro ATX) I have is an Asus H81M-K, I think the only one which hasn’t been unlocked (i.e. no overclocking for me).

I’m tempted to get a 1150 socket i7 but part of me thinks I should hold off and get a 1151 ATX board, 16GB DDR4 and an i5 (k) CPU I could o/c (I couldn’t stretch to an i7 on top of new mobo and RAM). What you guys think, go for an Haswell i7 and move to a new mobo, DDR4 and a Skylake i5?

I feel going down the 1150 i7 is more of a side step and the second option is 'future proofing (lol) allowing me more options down the line.

I’ll be honest I’m not having any issue running anything ATM, in fact I’m running at 1440p downsampling to 1080p.

LilJoka

Right so currently I’m sitting on an i5 4670 (not k) @3.4 - 3.8, 16GB DDR3 and a GTX 1080. I have the itch to upgrade to an i7 but the mobo (micro ATX) I have is an Asus H81M-K, I think the only one which hasn’t been unlocked (i.e. no overclocking for me). I’m tempted to get a 1150 socket i7 but part of me thinks I should hold off and get a 1151 ATX board, 16GB DDR4 and an i5 k CPU I could o/c (I couldn’t stretch to an i7 on top of new mobo and RAM). What you guys think, go for an Haswell i7 and move to a new mobo, DDR4 and a Skylake i5?

I’ll be honest I’m not having any issue running anything ATM, in fact I’m running at 1440p downsampling to 1080p.

Dont waste your money!
Wait till the i5 is slowing you down and then pick up an i7 on the same platform.

A nice CPU but how long Kaby Lake took to come out, I'm glad I went with Skylake now. The difference in performance for gaming wouldn't have been worth the wait and while the OC performance is a little better, I have no need to run at a CPU @ 5Ghz.

Running @ 4.6Ghz, my i7 6700k and MSI GTX 1070 easily runs anything I throw at it and with how CPU's have only been offering small bumps in performance each time, since SandyBridge, Kaby Lake is pretty much as expected really, not worth an upgrade from Skylake but a good choice for someone building a new system, if they want the latest CPU.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Dont waste your money!
Wait till the i5 is slowing you down and then pick up an i7 on the same platform.
I know I know... your right. I do have someone who is interested in buying my mobo/cpu/ram however which will really help towards my purchase.... GAH!

Arex

woah that ASUS miniITX z270 looks pretty great. I might end up going miniITX instead of mATX. Hope I can put up some good spec with good temps though. I hope there are small form 1060/1070!

woah that ASUS miniITX z270 looks pretty great. I might end up going miniITX instead of mATX. Hope I can put up some good spec with good temps though. I hope there are small form 1060/1070!
There are several 1060's that fit the Mini-ITX spec. There are also 2 1070's that fit the Mini-ITX spec:

Gigabyte's 1070 mini and ZOTAC's.

Also ZOTAC has unveiled a 1080mini within the Mini-ITX spec of 6.7inches on the PCB, the Heatsink and the fans and the plastic shroud might be close to 200mm though, so near to 8inches.

That card SHOULD still fit in an S4 mini if you shave 2mm from the inside of the wrap-around bezel. since it's 200mm from the card's IO to the bezel and the bezel is 5mm thick. :D

So a 7700K, upto 32GB of DDR4 upwards of 4000MHz and a 1080 can fit inside an S4 mini. This thing is only 4.3L... a true console killer, and pretty well future-proofed gaming PC in a slick case to boot! :D

vermadas

Where are you seeing the bold? The table in that PR you linked only mentions the front-panel. I can't find any pics of the rear panel for that mobo.

I know I know... your right. I do have someone who is interested in buying my mobo/cpu/ram however which will really help towards my purchase.... GAH!

How much would you sell it for and how much would the new setup cost you? Joka's right as in there's little point. Though, if you can flip it for a lot (which I don't imagine happening) and the upgrade cost is relatively minor....

Not sure anyone can help me with this: I tried overclocking my GPU and now the framerates on GTAV and Hitman are very erratic. I have a EVGA GTX 970 SC edition. I put in a modest overclock of +65 core, +300 memory and +87 power using EVGA Precision OC. At first running benches yield very good results mostly maintain 60fps. But now in game I get heavy dips into the 30s and 40s no matter if i have the OC profile enabled or not. Has anyone experienced this? Any way to go back to complete default settings?

Sullichin

I'm starting to worry that my Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Edition wasn't the best purchase.

This thing runs pretty warm (I've seen temps up to 78 playing overwatch, usually in the high 60s or 70s in that game). Seems like this card just runs warm in general, but other 1080s run cooler.

is there any way to use the Bios from the AMP Extreme Edition on this, and would it help?

Maybe I can change up my airflow in my case and help it a little bit. Anyone have experience with this card? It works fine, I'm just concerned at how hot it is (kind of loud too and reviews of it said it's quiet..)

Jeff6851

Does anyone have a fix for "reboot and select proper boot device"

If you have Windows on a flash drive or disk then put that in like you're trying to install Windows. It takes some time to load up but when it says "Install Now" you will see "Repair This Computer" in the lower left corner. Click that then do Startup Repair.

Note: If you don't have Windows on either flash drive or disk, use another computer to make one.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
How much would you sell it for and how much would the new setup cost you? Joka's right as in there's little point. Though, if you can flip it for a lot (which I don't imagine happening) and the upgrade cost is relatively minor....
I'll do the maths when I get home, I couldn't be too rough on the guy, he is the son of my boss... :D

There are several 1060's that fit the Mini-ITX spec. There are also 2 1070's that fit the Mini-ITX spec:

Gigabyte's 1070 mini and ZOTAC's.

Also ZOTAC has unveiled a 1080mini within the Mini-ITX spec of 6.7inches on the PCB, the Heatsink and the fans and the plastic shroud might be close to 200mm though, so near to 8inches.

That card SHOULD still fit in an S4 mini if you shave 2mm from the inside of the wrap-around bezel. since it's 200mm from the card's IO to the bezel and the bezel is 5mm thick. :D

So a 7700K, upto 32GB of DDR4 upwards of 4000MHz and a 1080 can fit inside an S4 mini. This thing is only 4.3L... a true console killer, and pretty well future-proofed gaming PC in a slick case to boot! :D

Lol i can tell you're super excited and I don't wanna ruin it but I think 4000MHz RAM is crazy! I have a 6700K and my RAM/Motherboard can technically do 3200MHz but with my CPU overclocked it just wasn't stable so I went down to 2933MHz. Who knows maybe Kabylake will be able to handle higher speeds but it's so similar to Skylake I would not get hopes up.

Either way...I'm sure you'll enjoy your new PC! A 7700K will be a huge improvement.

So DigitalFoundry posted their findings in DDR4 overclocking with an i5-7600K, interesting to say the least. A 7600K stock with 3000MHz DDR4 can outperform one overclocked at 4.8GHz with 2133MHz DDR4.

Then they posted their Core i5 7600K Stock/4.2GHz vs Core i5 6600K/ 2500K Gaming Benchmarks. Another interesting set of results.

High Speed RAM can help in some games. And since I'm going to be pushing 4K resolution on my rig in the future, I will take any performance increase I can have at that resolution.

Where did you read it will have dual m.2?
check my post here
I guoted the Press Release found here:https://rog.asus.com/articles/maxim...est-maximus-ix-and-strix-gaming-motherboards/
Lol i can tell you're super excited and I don't wanna ruin it but I think 4000MHz RAM is crazy! I have a 6700K and my RAM/Motherboard can technically do 3200MHz but with my CPU overclocked it just wasn't stable so I went down to 2933MHz. Who knows maybe Kabylake will be able to handle higher speeds but it's so similar to Skylake I would not get hopes up.

Either way...I'm sure you'll enjoy your new PC! A 7700K will be a huge improvement.
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the grounded and realistic point of view.

The main reason why I waited for Kaby Lake was for the overclocking headroom since DDR4 overclocking (as proven by DigitalFoundry previously) has shown performance increases on older 6th-gen Intel CPUs.

ASUS's Z270 boards have supposedly been optimized to run Kaby Lake chips at 5GHz at an 80% success rate using settings in the BIOS. So if the motherboard was built with overclocking headroom in mind, it's just a matter of hoping I get a good bin on the CPU.

If the CPU can hit 5 or 5.1 on air then I'm a happy camper, If my RAM can go above 3200 then I'm also happy, as I realize that based on other research and benchmarks i've read in the past, DDR4 clock speed increases above 3200MHz offer diminishing returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom