• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Gotta say that I am really going to look into grabbing one of those ASUS boards this year. I really want to move to ITX and ended up holding off last year because, I wanted to do a Ncase/Dancase build.
Their press release states dual m.2 slots among other details.
https://rog.asus.com/articles/maxim...est-maximus-ix-and-strix-gaming-motherboards/

Very nice, I guess its fair to say u.2 is dead in the water. Sad, as my Maximum Impact VIII skipped the m.2 slot for a u.2 slot.

Amagon

Open Corsair Link, Click "Configure", Click on your h100v2 Fan (Fans MUST be connected via the pumps fan connectors to be configurable), Change "Mode" to Custom, Select group as "h100 v2 Temp" and then manually setup your fan curve in the chart below.

Note: If you are using ANY other fan control software, such as Asus's AI Suite, it will disable Corsair Link's ability to control fan speed.
Will try this later on, thanks.

Bleepey

If you have Windows on a flash drive or disk then put that in like you're trying to install Windows. It takes some time to load up but when it says "Install Now" you will see "Repair This Computer" in the lower left corner. Click that then do Startup Repair.

Note: If you don't have Windows on either flash drive or disk, use another computer to make one.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Tried it takes for ever to do not a damn thing

Arex

There are several 1060's that fit the Mini-ITX spec. There are also 2 1070's that fit the Mini-ITX spec:

Gigabyte's 1070 mini and ZOTAC's.

Also ZOTAC has unveiled a 1080mini within the Mini-ITX spec of 6.7inches on the PCB, the Heatsink and the fans and the plastic shroud might be close to 200mm though, so near to 8inches.

That card SHOULD still fit in an S4 mini if you shave 2mm from the inside of the wrap-around bezel. since it's 200mm from the card's IO to the bezel and the bezel is 5mm thick. :D

So a 7700K, upto 32GB of DDR4 upwards of 4000MHz and a 1080 can fit inside an S4 mini. This thing is only 4.3L... a true console killer, and pretty well future-proofed gaming PC in a slick case to boot! :D

Cheers, I think they should have the Gigabyte 1070 mini in Singapore.. Not sure if they have S4 mini over there though! (or in Indonesia where I am right now) Probably will need to shop around for alternate miniITX case if I do move there.

Lol i can tell you're super excited and I don't wanna ruin it but I think 4000MHz RAM is crazy! I have a 6700K and my RAM/Motherboard can technically do 3200MHz but with my CPU overclocked it just wasn't stable so I went down to 2933MHz. Who knows maybe Kabylake will be able to handle higher speeds but it's so similar to Skylake I would not get hopes up.

Either way...I'm sure you'll enjoy your new PC! A 7700K will be a huge improvement.

Did you adjust VCCIO and VCCSA? Nearly every z170 board can manage 3200MHz without issue.

Cheers, I think they should have the Gigabyte 1070 mini in Singapore.. Not sure if they have S4 mini over there though! (or in Indonesia where I am right now) Probably will need to shop around for alternate miniITX case if I do move there.

Anyone can order an NFC S4-mini. they are special numbered cases made by Josh from his company "Not From Concentrate", you can see the site he has here: http://nfc-systems.com/shop/s4-mini-chassis You can order them from there if they are in stock. But since they are sold out, you can email him for availability and to preorder. I emailed him last month and he expects my case to ship in late Feb. :D

You can see an indepth review of the S4-mini here

Arex

Anyone can order an NFC S4-mini. they are special numbered cases made by Josh from his company "Not From Concentrate", you can see the site he has here: http://nfc-systems.com/shop/s4-mini-chassis You can order them from there if they are in stock. But since they are sold out, you can email him for availability and to preorder. I emailed him last month and he expects my case to ship in late Feb. :D

You can see an indepth review of the S4-mini here

hmm I'll have to think about it haha. The price + tax & shipping might be too much, plus the required non standard psu. It does look great though! :d

hmm I'll have to think about it haha. The price + tax & shipping might be too much, plus the required non standard psu. It does look great though! :d
True, it is an expensive case but it's made out of aircraft grade aluminum IIRC, that bezel is expensive, here's a quote from his page on it's construction:

"The chassis interior is constructed of aluminum and is anodized jet-black. The exterior cover panels are constructed from thick aluminum and are powdercoated with a matte black textured finish (cast iron black). The wrap-around bezel is constructed from 5mm thick aluminum and is brushed and anodized jet black. All aluminum is utra-premium, as quality is incredibly important to me. The removable fan bracket and duo SSD bracket are constructed from steel and powdercoated black."

Powedercoats are super-durable but almost completely scratch resistant. Plus all of the S4 Mini's are numbered since they are preordered and low-volume, so I'd say they're a premium case and not a mass production case. Here's why I decided on it though (quote from http://nfc-systems.com/s4-mini/)

"Coolers 40mm in height are more than enough for 35w Skylake i7s, and with ample room for next gen 8" cards, 4k gaming in a box the size of a ream of paper is a reality. "

Being able to take my PC wherever I go it a HUUUGE plus, so 4K gaming while travelling is the really big selling point for me on this case.

L.O.R.D

i have a question about monitor

BenQ EW2440L

in the specs it says :
"Response Time(Tr+Tf) typ.

12ms, 4ms (GTG)"

what does it mean? the 12ms is worrying me,why there are two Response Time?

A little off topic but I'm interested in buying a tower Mac Pro with a Xeon W3690 @ 3.46ghz. 1 Processor, 6 cores, 12 threads.

Is that decent processor? It's mainly going to be used for post production (After Effects, etc) but maybe I'll dual boot Windows on the side as well.

Megauap

So DigitalFoundry posted their findings in DDR4 overclocking with an i5-7600K, interesting to say the least. A 7600K stock with 3000MHz DDR4 can outperform one overclocked at 4.8GHz with 2133MHz DDR4.

Then they posted their Core i5 7600K Stock/4.2GHz vs Core i5 6600K/ 2500K Gaming Benchmarks. Another interesting set of results.

High Speed RAM can help in some games. And since I'm going to be pushing 4K resolution on my rig in the future, I will take any performance increase I can have at that resolution.

So, the new Intels 7600K and 7700K are better with RAM frequency and overclocking capabilites than Skylake processors? I'm a bit confused about the article.

So, the new Intels 7600K and 7700K are better with RAM frequency and overclocking capabilites than Skylake processors? I'm a bit confused about the article.
at 3200MHz, yes, in SOME cases.

Lets remember that Kaby Lake z270 mobo's, some have DDR4 slots that are rated past 4200MHz, so if they used RAM that was rated higher, they might be able to get it stable at a higher clock speed than on Skylake CPUs/Mobo's...

Once I can put together my Z270 build with my 4000MHz Cosriar LPX RAM and my 7700K, I'll test it out and post results. Here's hoping I can at least get past 3600MHz, it'd be a novelty and just extra points if I can manage 4000MHz stable or close to it, since there's diminishing returns after 3200. :)

ASUS Just updated the Z270i STRIX (Mini-ITX) Landing page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-Z270I-Gaming/overview/

This confirms the USB-3.0Type C support, the USB 3.1 front-panel header, and the dual M.2 PCIE slots (one on rear & one on front of motherboard):

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Quick stupid question from a nooblet: if I have one HDMI port on my mobo and one on my GPU, can I hook up two monitors in HDMI? Or do I need to have the two of them hooked up to different ports on the same component?

Megauap

Quick stupid question from a nooblet: if I have one HDMI port on my mobo and one on my GPU, can I hook up two monitors in HDMI? Or do I need to have the two of them hooked up to different ports on the same component?

If you only have 1 HDMI port in your motherboard then you will need an HDMI splitter that splits your HDMI port into 2 HDMI ports.

Edit: Nevermind, seems you can only have one display active at a time but you can switch with one is active with the splitter. It's not what you are looking for.

Rufus

Whichever component is actually in use and sending a signal.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Whichever component is actually in use and sending a signal.

Uh... Meaning "yes"? I mean, both my mobo and my GPU are always in use, right? So... yes?

Also, what if I use the HDMI port and the DVI port of the same component? Will that work?

finalflame

I wonder what are the odds that Zotac will follow suit and also make a 1080 Ti Mini. I know it's unlikely, but I'd hate to put a 1080 Mini in my mITX build only to have them release a 1080 Ti mini down the line.

I wonder what are the odds that Zotac will follow suit and also make a 1080 Ti Mini. I know it's unlikely, but I'd hate to put a 1080 Mini in my mITX build only to have them release a 1080 Ti mini down the line.
Who knows... but I do know they just unveiled the 1080-mini, so they wouldn't want to lower any hype for it by confirming a 1080-Ti-Mini this soon.

Megauap

Uh... Meaning "yes"? I mean, both my mobo and my GPU are always in use, right? So... yes?

Also, what if I use the HDMI port and the DVI port of the same component? Will that work?

That does work. I have my primary screen connected through HDMI to my GTX 560 Ti and my secondary screen connected through DVI to the same graphics card.

L.O.R.D

i have a question about monitor

BenQ EW2440L

in the specs it says :
"Response Time(Tr+Tf) typ.

12ms, 4ms (GTG)"

what does it mean? the 12ms is worrying me,why there are two Response Time?
any help here? Why there are two response time?
how to make sure i am using the low one.

LilJoka

at 3200MHz, yes, in SOME cases.

Lets remember that Kaby Lake z270 mobo's, some have DDR4 slots that are rated past 4200MHz, so if they used RAM that was rated higher, they might be able to get it stable at a higher clock speed than on Skylake CPUs/Mobo's...

Once I can put together my Z270 build with my 4000MHz Cosriar LPX RAM and my 7700K, I'll test it out and post results. Here's hoping I can at least get past 3600MHz, it'd be a novelty and just extra points if I can manage 4000MHz stable or close to it, since there's diminishing returns after 3200. :)

ASUS Just updated the Z270i STRIX (Mini-ITX) Landing page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-Z270I-Gaming/overview/

This confirms the USB-3.0Type C support, the USB 3.1 front-panel header, and the dual M.2 PCIE slots (one on rear & one on front of motherboard):

They may run without CPU OC though.
A memory only OC is easy. Plus timings are a factor.
My own Z170i is rated 4000mhz.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Amazon same day delivery :)

sbpzQNc.jpg

finalflame

Sure, here's the link:

They seem to have taken it down though?

Yup, guess I didn't see it in time :/ This goes back to what I saw earlier this month, which was Fry's.com had the 7700K on sale and "Pick up on 1/4", but all reports say Intel is letting these loose in late January. I'd consider myself extremely lucky for getting one, at this point seems like it was most likely a mistake :)

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does it matter which SLI bridge one can buy or will any do? Looks like official nvidia ones are 30-40 but there are non branded ones for like $10.

Are you using GTX 10 series cards? If so, personally I'd get the nvidia high-bandwidth SLI bridge: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3087...ayoff-in-buying-nvidias-40-sli-hb-bridge.html

HOKY CRAP. Wow that was a fast takedown. Maybe they had limited stock?

Did they ship yours?

Erebus

For someone building a gaming PC within the next 2 months, is there any particular reason to go with the Kaby Lake platform over the current Skylake? Most reviews claim that the performance is exactly identical but still does it make any sense to prefer Kaby Lake and the new Z210 chipset for better future-proofing?

LilJoka

For someone building a gaming PC within the next 2 months, is there any particular reason to go with the Kaby Lake platform over the current Skylake? Most reviews claim that the performance is exactly identical but still does it make any sense to prefer Kaby Lake and the new Z210 chipset for better future-proofing?

Go for kabylake unless it's costing a lot more than skylake.

Instructions per clock are identical, but clock speed improvements are significant.

It gets more difficult as you overclock the CPU on top of ram OC, unless you really loosen timings. Plus pushing VCCIO and VCCSA can quickly raise temps too.

VCCIO and VCCSA at or below 1.2v won't affect temps significantly. Unless his RAM and mobo are just really crap, running his RAM at its advertised XMP spec should not be an issue.

PRBoricua

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Corsair)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($58.66 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($189.75 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($167.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420G 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor
Total: $1722.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-04 19:08 EST-0500

This is my current PC as it's assembled today. With the new year, I have a couple of pesos to throw around and I was wondering where I could make an upgrade or two? I could grab two more sticks of RAM, but I'm not sure how much improvement I'd see out of doing that.

Would a GTX 1080 bump this thing up a bit? Would my CPU bottleneck it? Is SLI still a thing? I feel like SLI is slowly being abandoned, should I make the switch to a single GPU? So help me out fellas, where do I go from here without building a completely new rig?

Sorry for all the questions! Any help would be appreciated.

Amagon

In today's news of trying to fix my cooling issue with my new built.

It's a shitty pic quality but I believe I bent the pins when I removed the cpu to clean off the thermal and putting the cooler back on again.

The ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ mobo, which is the picture in question, was throwing me a "Dr.Debug" code on the board, 55. "The memory could not be detected. Please re-install the memory and CPU. If the problem still exist, please install only one memory module or other memory modules."

I had taken out the cooler and CPU, which was the only parts I had touched when I saw that irregularity that I took a picture of. Re-seated the CPU, put back the cooler, same code again.

:(

Sofa King

Son flipped the power off on his surge protector with his foot and now his computer won't fire up. Power on the computer case shows it's on and fans are running but the keyboard that usually lights up doesn't and there is no signal to the monitors. The light where the Ethernet cord hooks into the motherboard comes on.

Any thoughts on what the culprit is? There is 2 sticks of 4 gb RAM and a 970 video card hooked into the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom