• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with a possible buyer of my 970, I'm tempted again by the EVGA variant of the 1070. Is there a way to tell if this card has the fix already for their issue? How big of a deal was that issue? I only remember hearing about it. Should I stay away from EVGA?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-su...ess-3-0-graphics-card/5450703.p?skuId=5450703
Personally, I would just get a different model. The whole overheating thing is a big mess and EVGA has not done a good job communicating if they ever recalled cards and fixed them or if the cards sitting on retailer shelves are going to run into the issue. For $420 you could get the MSI 1070 and that seems to be one of the best 1070's.

Personally, I would just get a different model. The whole overheating thing is a big mess and EVGA has not done a good job communicating if they ever recalled cards and fixed them or if the cards sitting on retailer shelves are going to run into the issue. For 420 you could get the MSI 1070 and that seems to be one of the best 1070's.

i recommend the MSI 1070 too. i have the gaming X. runs nice and quiet/cool all the time.

Vuze

So with a possible buyer of my 970, I'm tempted again by the EVGA variant of the 1070. Is there a way to tell if this card has the fix already for their issue? How big of a deal was that issue? I only remember hearing about it. Should I stay away from EVGA?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-su...ess-3-0-graphics-card/5450703.p?skuId=5450703
I wouldn't bother. EVGA just announced/teased their FTW2 SKU with a new ICX cooler. Pretty sure they'll re-release the SC2 as well. Just go with another brand if you intend to stick with the cooler and don't plan to replace it.
I personally enjoy my Strix, much cooler and quieter than my ex 1080 FTW. MSI, Palit/Gainward are fantastic too.

There's no point in trying to sell a 760 in 2017 is there?
Aftermarket models are selling for like 60~70€ on local eBay, not all too bad I guess?

skynidas

Banned
Can I get an opinion on this build? I will be using it mainly for video editing and some gaming like Forza Horizon 3, Civilization and things like that. Not looking for ultra settings..

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bDgXhq

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($145.03 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Total:
$1498.40

ISee

Can I get an opinion on this build? I will be using it mainly for video editing and some gaming like Forza Horizon 3, Civilization and things like that. Not looking for ultra settings..

Pretty commun/solid build tbh. You could of course go with less wattage on your PSU or take a MB with integrated WiFi, but whatever.

Personally, I would just get a different model. The whole overheating thing is a big mess and EVGA has not done a good job communicating if they ever recalled cards and fixed them or if the cards sitting on retailer shelves are going to run into the issue. For $420 you could get the MSI 1070 and that seems to be one of the best 1070's.

i recommend the MSI 1070 too. i have the gaming X. runs nice and quiet/cool all the time.

I concur. The MSI 1070 X is one of the better choices. EVGA and Gigabyte are rather disappointing this time around.

Case seems unnecessarily expensive unless you are buying it out of preference there are cheaper cases that perform just as well if not better like the Define R5. Also, unless you just like ASUS I would personally get the MSI 1060 for $10 more which ends up being the same cost after rebate. Their coolers are fantastic and just like the 1070/1080 it's probably one of it not the best 1060. I really do not like ASUS GPU's that much and I don't think they turn a lot of heads like their competitors do.

cwistofu

Welp I just ruined the headphone jack of my new PC. Tripped over the needlessly long cord of my headset while my baby was crying bloody murder and I was going to feed him.

It only sends sound to the right ear now. Mildly annoying.

Welp I just ruined the headphone jack of my new PC. Tripped over the needlessly long cord of my headset while my baby was crying bloody murder and I was going to feed him.

did you have it connected to the front panel or motherboard?

cwistofu

Front panel of the Corsair 400C.

EDIT:Yeah it's the jack and not the cable. Tested it with other headphones and using the original headphones in the mobo.

It's not a huge loss because I'll mostly be doing things with speakers but it'll be somewhat annoying to switch the cables in the back of the tower whenever I do need to use headphones.

I might check out that amp, I've been curious about getting one for a little while now. Thanks for the heads up.

rtcn63

So it's the PC and not the headphone cable itself? Can you just use the audio jack on the back of the motherboard? I don't use any of my case ports cause they're unreliable. If you absolutely need to, you can get a USB DAC/amp combo to replace the on-board for audio:

http://schiit.com/products/fulla-2

EDIT: The fulla mutes your speakers when headphones are plugged in, if that's less of a hassle than switching the cables in the back of the motherboard. You'd just have to unplug the headphones when not in use.

I would recommend getting something like a Noctua over the Hyper Evo 212. The fan isn't great quality (I had bearing grind after a year or so) and really annoying to replace.

And is the 32GB of ram necessary for media editing or something? 16GB should be plenty for gaming.

Do you really need an i7 and 32GB of RAM? If you are video editing then the answer could be yes, but from a gaming perspective it is overkill. I would get a i5 6600k, 16GB of RAM and get a GTX 1070 instead of the 1060.

Erebus

Hmm, should I go with 16GB of slower RAM (DDR4-2133) or with 8GB of really fast RAM (DDR4-3600)? They're priced the same.

Decisions...

What do you guys use to clean your pc monitors? Noticed mine has some tiny blotches on the screen and I wonder if there's any type of cleaner I can buy to wipe them off without damaging it.

inner-G

Banned
What do you guys use to clean your pc monitors? Noticed mine has some tiny blotches on the screen and I wonder if there's any type of cleaner I can buy to wipe them off without damaging it.
I have some screen spray for HDTVs that I use along with a microfiber cloth.

You can probably use isopropyl alcohol unless it's like an Apple screen with an oleophopbic coating or something that it could damage.

DJ_Lae

I have some cheap screen cleaner I bought from Monoprice and some Mothers, and both work well with a microfiber cloth.

Dubz

Got the Steam Link and unfortunately it's not so great in my house. My router is upstairs in the living room and gaming PC is downstairs on wifi. The input lag isn't too bad, but I get a lot of frame skipping and stuttering.

I bought it in the Winter Sale for $19.99, so I'm not too bummed.

I have some screen spray for HDTVs that I use along with a microfiber cloth.

You can probably use isopropyl alcohol unless it's like an Apple screen with an oleophopbic coating or something that it could damage.

I have some cheap screen cleaner I bought from Monoprice and some Mothers, and both work well with a microfiber cloth.
Thanks for the suggestions. The monitor is an Acer Predator XB271HU. I just don't want to find streaks on it after using it.

Probably gonna cop a 7700k, wondering what Mobo/Ram I should roll with. Newegg has some bundles going on.
I'm waiting for the ASUS ROG Strix Z270i Gaming, Mini-ITX board with 2x M.2 ports, USB 3.1, USB Type C, and 2 DDR4 slots rated up to 4266. I went with Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB @ 4000 to help with RAM stability under an overclocked 7700K.

Only downside is this board is the only new ASUS z270 board that is NOT out yet, it should be out late Jan/early Feb. But it's the best Mini-ITX board if you care for M.2 since the others don't have 2x M.2 ports. And it's got the highest rated DDR4 ports of any other Mini-ITX board.

Here's a nifty Z270/H270 Mini-ITX Motherboard Comparison Spreadsheet

ISee

I've got a Gigabyte G1 Gaming and I'm very happy with it; runs perfectly fine with a good OC.

I had a gigabyte 980 g1 for nearly two years. I was very happy with it, best maxwell/980 out there. Sadly Gigabyte suddenly decided to only go for one 8pin power connection for their pascal series this time around. I bought a gigabyte initially and was constantly power limited, which was very disappointing. Returned it and went with MSI instead.

LilJoka

Upgrade for the Node 304
QTY LN DESCRIPTION EX VAT INC VAT
1 40801 Akasa PWM fan splitter Supports 2 PWM fans from a single motherboard PWM header £2.49 £2.99
1 51414 Noctua NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler with 140mm NF-A15 fan for All Intel & AMD CPU's £44.16 £52.99
2 58429 92mm Noctua NF-B9-REDUX-1600-PWM 1600RPM Quiet Case Fan £16.64 £19.97
1 58434 140m Noctua NF-P14S-REDUX-1500-PWM Quiet Case Fan £11.66 £13.99

cwistofu

So it's the PC and not the headphone cable itself? Can you just use the audio jack on the back of the motherboard? I don't use any of my case ports cause they're unreliable. If you absolutely need to, you can get a USB DAC/amp combo to replace the on-board for audio:

http://schiit.com/products/fulla-2

EDIT: The fulla mutes your speakers when headphones are plugged in, if that's less of a hassle than switching the cables in the back of the motherboard. You'd just have to unplug the headphones when not in use.

Alright, I'm heavily considering buying this, but I have no experience with DACs or amps or whatever. Bottom line, would I notice a difference in sound quality if I just plug this in and use it as a glorified headphone jack? If not, how much tinkering does this kind of hardware require? Also, what are those three other jacks with the circle/arrow symbol above them?

rtcn63

Alright, I'm heavily considering buying this, but I have no experience with DACs or amps or whatever. Bottom line, would I notice a difference in sound quality if I just plug this in and use it as a glorified headphone jack? If not, how much tinkering does this kind of hardware require? Also, what are those three other jacks with the circle/arrow symbol above them?

Honestly? Budget DACs are meant for devices with overly low volume and/or horribly unlistenable audio. Like some laptops.

And there's a FAQ link on the page that should answer those questions. (You'll see it under the "$99 Add to Cart") I have the Bifrost from them, and IIRC all I had to do was install some drivers. Here's an ongoing thread on the Fulla 2 at Head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/828228/schiit-fulla-2-impressions-thread

Can't be two sore about the Dell WD cancellations when I have these two babies below in my main rig and a 850 evo 250 GB and Samsung 830 in my secondary rig.

m59QcDa.png

BztPUS9.png

Lux R7

Unless I am mistaken that card will not fit in that case. The card is 210mm long and the case supports up to 185mm.

and you are right, my bad. i don't know why but i thought my card was smaller, i just checked.
Have you guys any suggestion for a good cube case? (my budget is around 100 euro)

If a PSU comes with a power tester (?) like the EVGA ones do can you plug in one of the SATA power cables to test things like the fans (if they are hooked up to a SATA powered fan controller) and an optical drive to just test if it powers on (tray opens and closes)?

and you are right, my bad. i don't know why but i thought my card was smaller, i just checked.
Have you guys any suggestion for a good cube case? (my budget is around 100 euro)
What's the rest of your build? Need to figure out if you are looking for ITX or mATX. If you have an ITX build I think the Thermaltake Core V1 is a great cube. It's very small and has room for a 10" GPU and decent storage options. If you are looking for something larger and more expensive than I would look at the Corsair 250D, but that's at the top of your budget range. It is quite large for an ITX case, but it has room for a lot of storage drives, a 5.25" drive, and a lot of cooling options.

Lux R7

What's the rest of your build? Need to figure out if you are looking for ITX or mATX. If you have an ITX build I think the Thermaltake Core V1 is a great cube. It's very small and has room for a 10" GPU and decent storage options. If you are looking for something larger and more expensive than I would look at the Corsair 250D, but that's at the top of your budget range. It is quite large for an ITX case, but it has room for a lot of storage drives, a 5.25" drive, and a lot of cooling options.

thanks, i have a micro-atx and two ssd drives. I'm looking for something not too big honeslty, i was checking these two actually:

https://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/phenom-micro-atx/

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=706930&fid=294&lan=uk

304 fits 6 HDDS or 4 with full length GPU. It's an awesome case. Love mine.

Yep, I built my wife's computer in a 304 and it's tiny, quiet, and pretty much full-featured. I feel like a dweeb with my giant ten million pound case in comparison. Only part that was difficult was actually squeezing the power cable in correctly.

Hawk269

Need assistance/advice:

I have a dual loop Custom Water Cooling system in my RIG. I use a Dual Sided Case Labs case. I am moving from Central California to Boise, Idaho. We have a moving company coming to pick and pack all of our things, but I am planning on taking the gaming RIG in my truck and fastening it down with the seat belts in the back seat. With the changes in elevations going through the Sierra's, should I partially drain the 2 loops or should it be fine for the trip. It is about a 16 hour drive that we are doing over the course of 2 days, just don't want to damage anything in my RIG.

Thanks for any input/advice.

LilJoka

Need assistance/advice:

I have a dual loop Custom Water Cooling system in my RIG. I use a Dual Sided Case Labs case. I am moving from Central California to Boise, Idaho. We have a moving company coming to pick and pack all of our things, but I am planning on taking the gaming RIG in my truck and fastening it down with the seat belts in the back seat. With the changes in elevations going through the Sierra's, should I partially drain the 2 loops or should it be fine for the trip. It is about a 16 hour drive that we are doing over the course of 2 days, just don't want to damage anything in my RIG.

Thanks for any input/advice.

The loop is water tight so there is no need to drain it at all.

Elevation and tilt isn't a problem, it will be bumps and shocks that could be an issue. But since you are using water blocks I wouldn't worry about it at all.

The allure of a 7700K + a new graphics card is too much for me.

I'm upgrading my current setup:

into (changes italicized and underlined):

I think I'll be really happy with the results. I'm still doing research on the whole line of Z270 mobos, but the Z270-E right now has my eye.

Hawk269

The loop is water tight so there is no need to drain it at all.

Elevation and tilt isn't a problem, it will be bumps and shocks that could be an issue. But since you are using water blocks I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Thanks. I was not sure, so just wanted to ask. I made the drive already a few months ago to look at houses and it is a pretty smooth drive the whole trip, so shocks/bumps should not be an issue.

Quick question: I am hooking up a 2nd 970gtx. My psu is a corsair tx750m. The only spare power cable I have coming out of the psu is a single cable with molex connectors. I can use the adapters that came with the video card to hook up power to that single cable or I have another modular cable with another 4 molexes I can plug into psu. I assume it's safer to use 2 cables rather than one correct?

Gigglepop

Banned
Quick question: I am hooking up a 2nd 970gtx. My psu is a corsair tx750m. The only spare power cable I have coming out of the psu is a single cable with molex connectors. I can use the adapters that came with the video card to hook up power to that single cable or I have another modular cable with another 4 molexes I can plug into psu. I assume it's safer to use 2 cables rather than one correct?

I'm always weary of using molex adapters. Are they good high quality ones that are pushed in with pins or cheap ones that are molded in?

This applies to SATA connectors but the same can go for molex to pci-e power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TataDaUNEFc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom