• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyan-Rox

I actually use Precision X because I have an EVGA card (Afterburner is considered better though overall), but you probably just need to leave the software running in your system tray. It should be safe. I'm sure you could easily look up an Afterburner guide somewhere.

EDIT: I've never even heard of KFA2, but I'm in the US. I do know that reference cards with blowers tend to run on the (really) hot side, it's normal.

me neither until today it seems like a really shitty card though and Yeah my 980 was a reference design one with the blower so I know the temps can get pretty high.

Dunno what's up WD 2 ran fine on the 980 can't get it locked to 60 no matter what on this one

Kayhan

Is going for a 6-,8- or 10-core processor of any use for gaming at this point?

Any games that can take advantage of a 6-core?

Any upcoming games making it worth it to get more cores now as future proofing?

rtcn63

me neither until today it seems like a really shitty card though and Yeah my 980 was a reference design one with the blower so I know the temps can get pretty high.

Dunno what's up WD 2 ran fine on the 980 can't get it locked to 60 no matter what on this one

From what I'm reading, WD2 may have lost performance in the most recent patch. Could just be the game in the end. Or the current nvidia drivers.

Vipu

Banned
Is going for a 6-,8- or 10-core processor of any use for gaming at this point?

Any games that can take advantage of a 6-core?

Any upcoming games making it worth it to get more cores now as future proofing?

I guess some games use more cores but not 6.

I think if we can have 8 core 5ghz cpu:s that will last for LONG time.
Unless something happens and games manage to use as many cores as needed etc.

shanafan

Pricing out a i7-7700 for the fun of it.

With my current setup, I would have to get a new mobo since my current i7-3770 processor is fitted for a LGA 1155 mobo. And my ram is also not fitted for the new mobo.

So, looking at the i7-7700, LGA 1151 mobo, 16 GB of ram, and maybe a new power supply. Maybe like $600-700 looking at.

Is it worth it? Not sure yet!

Pricing out a i7-7700 for the fun of it.

With my current setup, I would have to get a new mobo since my current i7-3700 processor is fitted for a LGA 1155 mobo. And my ram is also not fitted for the new mobo.

So, looking at the i7-7700, LGA 1151 mobo, 16 GB of ram, and maybe a new power supply. Maybe like $600-700 looking at.

Is it worth it? Not sure yet!

I'm doing the same thing but coming from a 2500k.

I think its worth it.

greenry

I'm looking at upgrading to the i7-7700k from a i5-3570k. I was looking at getting the asus z170 Pro gaming motherboard as well. However, it lists that the latest bios is needed to be compatible with an i7-7700k.

How do I go about updating the bios for the new cpu? Will it still boot enough that I can update or is there some sort of work around?

How important do people think HDR is going to be on PC?

Since the nvidia announcement specifically mentioned ME andromeda and Shadow warrior 2, sounds like games have to explicitly support it

Also, is gsync worth it for 4K? (currently have non pascal Titan X but will get 1080 Ti hopefully gets announced soon)

rrs

I'm looking at upgrading to the i7-7700k from a i5-3570k. I was looking at getting the asus z170 Pro gaming motherboard as well. However, it lists that the latest bios is needed to be compatible with an i7-7700k.

How do I go about updating the bios for the new cpu? Will it still boot enough that I can update or is there some sort of work around?
I think it will need to ship with the new BIOS for it to work, which is about impossible to tell

Vipu

Banned
How important do people think HDR is going to be on PC?

Since the nvidia announcement specifically mentioned ME andromeda and Shadow warrior 2, sounds like games have to explicitly support it

Also, is gsync worth it for 4K? (currently have non pascal Titan X but will get 1080 Ti hopefully gets announced soon)

Im sure more stuff will be in HDR soon.

More demanding = more reason to have gsync = 4k is pretty demanding

SickBoy

I decided to wait until I could get a Kaby Lake processor from my local computer store, because why the hell not? (busy holidays meant the amount of time to build or use the new machine was limited anyway). Now I'm gearing up to buy an i5-7500 and I don't think I want to pay the premium for an H270 motherboard when the big improvement will likely be a 2400MHz memory clock vs. 2133.

So in the end I was just going to go with an unassuming H110 board, but now my concern is the BIOS. Likely, anything I buy today (or in the immediate future) will require a BIOS update to support the processor. Maybe things are easier in the new, friendlier world of building computers than the one I left more than a decade ago... but is there a way to do that without possessing a supported CPU?

FFMafia

I decided to wait until I could get a Kaby Lake processor from my local computer store, because why the hell not? (busy holidays meant the amount of time to build or use the new machine was limited anyway). Now I'm gearing up to buy an i5-7500 and I don't think I want to pay the premium for an H270 motherboard when the big improvement will likely be a 2400MHz memory clock vs. 2133.

So in the end I was just going to go with an unassuming H110 board, but now my concern is the BIOS. Likely, anything I buy today (or in the immediate future) will require a BIOS update to support the processor. Maybe things are easier in the new, friendlier world of building computers than the one I left more than a decade ago... but is there a way to do that without possessing a supported CPU?

I'm wondering the same thing or I'm SOL

styl3s

I have everything ready but my CPU cooler and power supply which i would like to save money on both so my question is does name brand matter or is a generic 750-800w bronze 80 PSU fine? And as or cooling i was originally going to go with 120mm corsair H55 or hydro H60 but everyone is telling me to spend the extra $60 on the corsair 240mm H100i

with the new CPUs and motherboards released now I've switched up some stuff on the parts I was going to buy for when I can build my PC...hoping for some time in the next couple months if everything goes well

FFMafia

So does anyone know if you have the 7700k CPU only on hand with the z170 board, if you are SOL prior to updating the bios, or can it run sub optimal at least and than flashed once fully built?

Hey PC-gaf, I'm about to order and build my first ever PC so I was wondering if I could get some advice.

Your Current Specs: Don't have a desktop
Budget: $800-1000, USA
Main Use: 5. I plan to make this my main gaming system, plus some programming.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p minimum, I guess but of course I would enjoy reaching higher resolutions. I have yet to do any research into monitors, for the time being I could hook it up to my 1080p TV. I'm not interested in spending crazy amounts of money on a monitor.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: RE7, Dark Souls III, DOOM, basically I'd like to run current or upcoming "AAA" releases at a high level with 60fps.
Looking to reuse any parts?: None.
When will you build?: I would like to order the parts within the next few days.
Will you be overclocking?: I guess?

Right now I'm looking at this guide and I'm wondering if you guys have any suggested improvements? I'm not interested in going too crazy right now, at least until I have a better grasp on the ins and outs of PC gaming.

Thanks.

bomblord1

Banned
Hey PC-gaf, I'm about to order and build my first ever PC so I was wondering if I could get some advice.

Your Current Specs: Don't have a desktop
Budget: $800-1000, USA
Main Use: 5. I plan to make this my main gaming system, plus some programming.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p minimum, I guess but of course I would enjoy reaching higher resolutions. I have yet to do any research into monitors, for the time being I could hook it up to my 1080p TV. I'm not interested in spending crazy amounts of money on a monitor.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: RE7, Dark Souls III, DOOM, basically I'd like to run current or upcoming "AAA" releases at a high level with 60fps.
Looking to reuse any parts?: None.
When will you build?: I would like to order the parts within the next few days.
Will you be overclocking?: I guess?

Right now I'm looking at this guide and I'm wondering if you guys have any suggested improvements? I'm not interested in going too crazy right now, at least until I have a better grasp on the ins and outs of PC gaming.

Thanks.

This should run beautiful at 1080p. This DOES include Windows.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($43.74 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR 8G OC Video Card ($239.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)
Total: $979.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-06 16:06 EST-0500

Comments questions, concerns?

Notes:
You mentioned overclocking as a possibility so I set up the build with an overclockable processor and a closed loop water cooler. Should you not want to overclock we can easily knock $100 off the price.
I chose 16GB of RAM because that is pretty much the standard for modern gaming builds and some games recommend it.
I'm a fan of the dual Hard Drive setup (small SSD for Windows + Big HDD) which is why I went with it. It saves money and gets you both the speed benefits of an SSD with the storage benefits of a HDD.
Case is just a personal favorite no serious though went into it you could easily go with a cheaper or more expensive case.
I did include Windows in this build which is $88 of it
Motherboard is somewhat cheap but it's a Z170 and well reviewed by users.
Video card is currently IMO the best "bang for buck" card. And it will sometimes outperform the more expensive gtx 1060 in some games

I have everything ready but my CPU cooler and power supply which i would like to save money on both so my question is does name brand matter or is a generic 750-800w bronze 80 PSU fine? And as or cooling i was originally going to go with 120mm corsair H55 or hydro H60 but everyone is telling me to spend the extra $60 on the corsair 240mm H100i

yes brand does matter when it comes to PSU. if there is one part you shouldn't cheap out on it's the PSU. i get saving money but look elsewhere to make that saving. i remember when i was going to build my first PC i was looking at a £45 corsair. i ended up going with a £110 EVGA. it put me over budget so instead i just left the monitor and used my TV for a while until i could save up again. what kind of PC are you building because i think 750-800W is a bit much these days unless you are gonna SLI/Xfire.

an AIO cooler is good but personally i wouldn't use any kind of liquid near a PC. while it is rare i've seen some AIO's burst and cover the PC in liquid. i wouldn't risk it at all. going with an air cooler you will be cheaper and the difference in temperatures isn't really that big.

FFMafia

So does anyone know if you have the 7700k CPU only on hand with the z170 board, if you are SOL prior to updating the bios, or can it run sub optimal at least and than flashed once fully built?

Anyone? I'm practically setting up a refund now. Damn I should have checked up on this before I impulse bought the new Shiney cpu

Edit: if it can at least get me to the boot menu so I can flash it from there

LilJoka

Anyone? I'm practically setting up a refund now. Damn I should have checked up on this before I impulse bought the new Shiney cpu

I expect that unless the board has a bios flashback utility that doesn't require a CPU installed, then you won't be able to boot the PC at all unless you use a skylake CPU to do the upgrade first.

That was the case with ivy E and x79 mobos.

This should run beautiful at 1080p. This DOES include Windows.

Comments questions, concerns?

Notes:
You mentioned overclocking as a possibility so I set up the build with an overclockable processor and a closed loop water cooler. Should you not want to overclock we can easily knock $100 off the price.
I chose 16GB of RAM because that is pretty much the standard for modern gaming builds and some games recommend it.
I'm a fan of the dual Hard Drive setup (small SSD for Windows + Big HDD) which is why I went with it. It saves money and gets you both the speed benefits of an SSD with the storage benefits of a HDD.
Case is just a personal favorite no serious though went into it you could easily go with a cheaper or more expensive case.
I did include Windows in this build which is $88 of it
Motherboard is somewhat cheap but it's a Z170 and well reviewed by users.
Video card is currently IMO the best "bang for buck" card. And it will sometimes outperform the more expensive gtx 1060 in some games

Thanks a lot. To be honest, I don't really have much interest in overclocking right now though. Also, is there any guidance in what I should look for in a case?

FFMafia

I expect that unless the board has a bios flashback utility that doesn't require a CPU installed, then you won't be able to boot the PC at all unless you use a skylake CPU to do the upgrade first.

That was the case with ivy E and x79 mobos.

Damn thanks for that. Time for a refund!

styl3s

yes brand does matter when it comes to PSU. if there is one part you shouldn't cheap out on it's the PSU. i get saving money but look elsewhere to make that saving. i remember when i was going to build my first PC i was looking at a £45 corsair. i ended up going with a £110 EVGA. it put me over budget so instead i just left the monitor and used my TV for a while until i could save up again. what kind of PC are you building because i think 750-800W is a bit much these days unless you are gonna SLI/Xfire.

an AIO cooler is good but personally i wouldn't use any kind of liquid near a PC. while it is rare i've seen some AIO's burst and cover the PC in liquid. i wouldn't risk it at all. going with an air cooler you will be cheaper and the difference in temperatures isn't really that big.
Well i went with the 240mm corsair liquid but now i am terrified thanks lol. I know some people don't like it, i like it and i like the look. As for the PSU i went with a 850 Watt - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 - 80 PLUS Bronze because it was on sale at the place i buy my parts and it seemed good enough. I went with 850 because down the road i will be putting another GPU in.

Also i noticed a lot of people dog the EVGA GTX 1080 SC because of it's look but i think it looks fantastic i went with that for my 1080. I just need to wait for that to ship and a few other things and i am good to go. Maybe down the road i when i upgrade the PC i have now since it's going in the living room i will take the liquid corsair from the new build and put it in that and get a normal fan because now that's all i am gonna think about.

Ehhhh, is the integrated graphics (HD 530) on Skylake better than a Radeon HD 6570?

I've got to build a new PC earlier than expected because my current rust bucket (Pentium G620 + 4GB + Radeon HD 6570) keeps acting up more than usual lately. I don't want to compromise on any of the parts I'm planning to use for cheaper ones, so I want to buy a new video card later and just slum it using integrated graphics for a while.

I play mostly older games, TF2/L4D2 , and Skyrim on medium settings, btw.

LilJoka

I actually use Precision X because I have an EVGA card (Afterburner is considered better though overall), but you probably just need to leave the software running in your system tray. It should be safe. I'm sure you could easily look up an Afterburner guide somewhere.

EDIT: I've never even heard of KFA2, but I'm in the US. I do know that reference cards with blowers tend to run on the (really) hot side, it's normal.

KFA2 is a known brand in the uk, nothing dodgy with this card. Their top models are some of the best.

clashfan

The build page shows you can get 16GB of RAM for $55. I can't find those prices anywhere. It seems to be double that. Can someone point out to me where I can get 16GB of RAM for $55?

Celcius

°Temp. member
So I ended up ordering my Samsung 960 Pro 512gb directly from Samsung and it should hopefully ship towards the end of next week. Then I should finally be able to start assembly. :)

Thank you to everyone who tuned in earlier to watch me build :) I know it was a slow start, and there were multiple power outages on my block that set me back, but here is a sneak preview of the finished product:

It's not done yet, of course, I need to wait for some sleeved cables to arrive early next week. Other than that, it seems ASUS doesn't have any of the drivers/software for their ROG Z270 motherboards up yet on their website, so I'm patiently waiting to get up-to-date drivers and the AURA software/5ghz profile for OC (must need a BIOS update?).

Build is looking good!

Celcius

°Temp. member
The build page shows you can get 16GB of RAM for $55. I can't find those prices anywhere. It seems to be double that. Can someone point out to me where I can get 16GB of RAM for $55?

That probably needs to be updated.
This is the cheapest 16gb dual-channel DDR4 kit I could find anywhere: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820158024
(2400mhz, on sale for $74)

I bought my current ram (16gb dual channel, 2133mhz, ddr3) in early June last year and it was $67.

bomblord1

Banned
Thanks a lot. To be honest, I don't really have much interest in overclocking right now though. Also, is there any guidance in what I should look for in a case?

What I look for in a case is mainly ease of use. Little things like plenty of space, removable drive cages, screwless design, built in risers, etc are all nice things.

Here's the build without OC
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.69 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($43.74 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR 8G OC Video Card ($239.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)
Total: $879.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-06 20:50 EST-0500

FFMafia

I'm pretty sure all you need is a Phillips head screwdriver.

Awesome. Thanks! Gaf is very responsive to all my need questions lol. I appreciate it immensely. I'm lost with no people that I associate with having any knowledge in this particular subject. Thanks again.

That petition is hilarious some people take these things too seriously. Mistakes happen and I cannot help but laugh when people on sites like Slickdeals get all pissed off and start feeling entitled when things don't go there way.

DJ_Lae

I didn't expect the 1070 (ASUS ROG) to be so big - I thought my old 7970 was hefty, although it's a good inch or two shorter in comparison. I'm also surprised at losing six power pins, so I assume it'll draw considerable less at load (I'm also hoping it will be quieter, which should be simple).

My only issue is that I have no spare DP cables around, so my second monitor (which is also DVI at the moment) will have to wait until I can go out and buy one tomorrow.

It may be complete overkill for my aging 3570K, but even just with a couple of minutes peeking into Vermintide, I notice that I can get a rock solid 120fps with everything on maximum where I got an unreliable 60 with some settings turned down before. If nothing else it'll be good to finally take advantage of this monitor.

I expect fewer miracles for stuff like The Witcher 3, which I'd imagine is more CPU bound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom