• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chavelo

Hello! I'm currently saving up cash for a beefy video card for my new build (6700K, 16GB DDR4 3000, Intel NVMe M.2 SSD). I'm currently rocking a 2GB 960 GTX, so I wanna match the power of the rest of my equipment. I want something that can push 1080p/144hz, but also will last me for some time (first time building a pretty decent gaming PC, always been a bang for your buck type of guy).

Here's what I'm currently looking at:

A 1070 GTX for around 400 dollars, which should last for 2-3 or so years.

Or a 1080 GTX for 600 dollars, hopefully should last me past the beginning of the next decade.

My two main thoughts going on at the moment is: should I go for the cheaper card and upgrade and/or add a card to my system (can do a SLI setup if needed) down the road, or do I save up enough and hope that the 1080 GTX will be worth it for the long haul? I'm gonna be using the machine for fighting games and most AAA games out there, so I really want something that can carry me for a good while.

I guess my main question is: what would be the smart way to do it if you could get either of the cards yourself? Go with the SLI setup (one card for the first two years, then add another 1070 GTX for the next two years) or a single 1080 GTX for the next four years?

Gigglepop

Banned
Hello! I'm currently saving up cash for a beefy video card for my new build (6700K, 16GB DDR4 3000, Intel NVMe M.2 SSD). I'm currently rocking a 2GB 960 GTX, so I wanna match the power of the rest of my equipment. I want something that can push 1080p/144hz, but also will last me for some time (first time building a pretty decent gaming PC, always been a bang for your buck type of guy).

Or a 1080 GTX for 600 dollars, hopefully should last me past the beginning of the next decade.

My two main thoughts going on at the moment is: should I go for the cheaper card and upgrade and/or add a card to my system (can do a SLI setup if needed) down the road, or do I save up enough and hope that the 1080 GTX will be worth it for the long haul? I'm gonna be using the machine for fighting games and most AAA games out there, so I really want something that can carry me for a good while.

I guess my main question is: what would be the smart way to do it if you could get either of the cards yourself? Go with the SLI setup (one card for the first two years, then add another 1070 GTX for the next two years) or a single 1080 GTX for the next four years?

Could get a 980ti for~$300. Its just as good as a 1070. At ~1450 its just as good as a 1070 at 2ghz. Will easily last you 2-3 years and you can put the money saved into a future upgrade.

Pachimari

Is there a 2017 thread of this? Anyway, I got a few questions but first my computer setup, which you guys helped me build back in 2014, so thanks a lot yet again:

Case Fractal Design Define R4
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
GPU Evga GeForce GTX 780
CPU Intel i5 4670K 4C/4T
RAM Crucial Ballistix Tactical (2x8GB)
Power Supply SeaSonic G Series 550
Heatsink Cooler Master Hyper 212

I got a bluray optical drive, card reader, 3 cards with USB 3.0 ports, 1 SSD and 5 HDDs installed on the inside as well.

1) With all of these USB ports and hard drives, would you recommend me upgrading my power supply? Or does it cut it?

2) Should I have all of these hard drives installed internally, or is it better I install them in external boxes on the outside?

3) Are there any 16gb RAM cards, or should I just buy 2x8gb more to bring my total to 32gb? Does it even matter if I have 4x8 or 2x16?

4) I only have 2 fans installed, one in the back (which is the one that came with the case), and one in the lower front where all the hard drives are lined up. Should I add more fans, for example to the upper front, the top and bottom? Maybe even some better fans? Which ones are recommended?

styl3s

Is it possible to transfer/clone your c drive to a new drive? I plan on getting a 1TB SSD in the next month but i would rather clone or transfer my current 250GB to it instead of having to reinstall everything again.

anaron

kennah

for my budget I've narrowed my choices down to these comps cuz I'm not building and I need a warranty. I know, I'm dumb but it's what I'm most comfortable with and I'm hoping you guys can help me pick the best for the price or find something better strictly within 800-900 before taxes canadian.

(I get a 10% discount from staples)
http://m.staples.ca/en/ASUS-G11CDDB...k-Tower/product_2396699_2-CA_1_20001?langId=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00IO6KIAE/
Both have terrible GPUs unfortunately. The Amazon one is the worse of the two, despite the better CPU.

inner-G

Banned

I'd say get the 1070, and if you want to go all-out, get the 1080.

I have a 1080 myself, but I play at 1440/144hz or 4K/60hz. The 1070 should be good for 1080/144hz I'd think.

anaron

Both have terrible GPUs unfortunately. The Amazon one is the worse of the two, despite the better CPU.
what's so terrible about the GPU?

I'm only really looking to play FF XIV and older pc games so I don't need something crazy but I would like to know what are the necessities for decent gaming performance.

kennah

what's so terrible about the GPU?

They aren't gaming GPUs, they're basic task ones. The minimum recommended is a x50 Ti, for a good experience. The GTX950 would run some stuff, but it's significantly slower than the many many year old 680. For a $1,000+ computer not to perform any better than a 5 year old computer is pretty unaccepable.

http://www.staples.ca/en/CyberPower...TX-1050-Ti-Win10/product_2520761_2-CA_1_20001

Would be the kinda minimum I'd get from Staples?

or you could go this route

Get this Refurbished i7 3770

http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Refurbi...D-Windows-10-Pro/product_2571769_2-CA_1_20001

and stick this low profile GTX 1050 Ti in it

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137081&cm_re=1050_ti-_-14-137-081-_-Product

Would perform better than either you posted, and cost hundreds less.

And be pretty small to boot.

Or, bump up your budget by a few hundred bucks.

Sticking to staples, this is kinda the minimum one I'd recommend to last quite a few years

http://www.staples.ca/en/MSI-NightB...-1060-Windows-10/product_2446451_2-CA_1_20001

anaron

They aren't gaming GPUs, they're basic task ones. The minimum recommended is a x50 Ti, for a good experience. The GTX950 would run some stuff, but it's significantly slower than the many many year old 680. For a $1,000+ computer not to perform any better than a 5 year old computer is pretty unaccepable.

http://www.staples.ca/en/CyberPower...TX-1050-Ti-Win10/product_2520761_2-CA_1_20001

Would be the kinda minimum I'd get from Staples?

or you could go this route

Get this Refurbished i7 3770

http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Refurbi...D-Windows-10-Pro/product_2571769_2-CA_1_20001

and stick this low profile GTX 1050 Ti in it

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137081&cm_re=1050_ti-_-14-137-081-_-Product

Would perform better than either you posted, and cost hundreds less.

And be pretty small to boot.

Or, bump up your budget by a few hundred bucks.

Sticking to staples, this is kinda the minimum one I'd recommend to last quite a few years

http://www.staples.ca/en/MSI-NightB...-1060-Windows-10/product_2446451_2-CA_1_20001

thanks again for the help! Do you see anything on ncix, newegg or amazon Canada that is suitable and within 900-1000?

Chavelo

Could get a 980ti for~$300. Its just as good as a 1070. At ~1450 its just as good as a 1070 at 2ghz. Will easily last you 2-3 years and you can put the money saved into a future upgrade.

Hmmm, not seeing any 980Ti cards in the open at that price range, except for like a handful (most of the 980Ti models go for about $700). I'm looking at the reviews and benchmarks, seems that the 1070 appears to be slightly better (on paper), plus the 980Ti seems to use more power. Thanks for the recommendation, though. Will add the model to my (internal) discussion and will see how it pans out. :D

I'd say get the 1070, and if you want to go all-out, get the 1080.

I have a 1080 myself, but I play at 1440/144hz or 4K/60hz. The 1070 should be good for 1080/144hz I'd think.

Yeah, the performance increase between the 1080 compared to the 1070 seems to be almost useless for what I have right now, won't be getting a 1440p or 4K display anytime soon since I'll be saving up to move out right after I get this card. The $200-$250 price increase seems to be off-putting the more I do research online.

Thinking of going between the MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X or the ASUS 1070 GTX STRIX at the moment.

inner-G

Banned
Hmmm, not seeing any 980Ti cards in the open at that price range, except for like a handful (most of the 980Ti models go for about $700). I'm looking at the reviews and benchmarks, seems that the 1070 appears to be slightly better (on paper), plus the 980Ti seems to use more power. Thanks for the recommendation, though. Will add the model to my (internal) discussion and will see how it pans out. :D

Yeah, the performance increase between the 1080 compared to the 1070 seems to be almost useless for what I have right now, won't be getting a 1440p or 4K display anytime soon since I'll be saving up to move out right after I get this card. The $200-$250 price increase seems to be off-putting the more I do research online.

Thinking of going between the MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X or the ASUS 1070 GTX STRIX at the moment.
I don't know much about the MSI cards, but I have an ASUS Strix card and love it. Their GPU tweak software is decent and the RGB stuff is cool if you're into that

canocha

Hey GAF, im thinking of upgrading my PC:

Current:

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (all cores)
Cooler: Cryorig H5 Universal
RAM: 16GBs 1333MHz
MOBO: MSI Z68A GD65 (G3) (had to install the latest BIOS to use my GPU and it limited my overclock capabilities... especially RAM and i can't go past 1333MHz)
GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 6GB STRIX

I'm upgrading the MOBO, CPU and RAM but i can't decide between:

RAM (order already placed): CORSAIR 3000Mhz 16GB DDR4 VENGEANCE LPX CL15 (107€)

• i5 6600K and ASUS Z170A (249,90€ + 155,90€)
  • i5 7600K and ASUS Z270A (289,90€ + 181,90€)

Or should i just wait another month and go all out with an i7, either:

• 6700K - 355,90€
  • 7700K - 390.90€

Is i7 worth the money? Sky Lake or Kaby Lake?

I guess this might be the best place to ask this, but I'm looking into getting a new PC to supplement my hobbies. I have no intentions on doing any gaming on it, so I don't need a top of the line VR capable machine.

I make music using Renoise, which is a small program, but it like most music producing software, it uses a good amount of the CPU. I also use Photoshop quite often, which is also CPU reliant if I'm remember correctly.

My current laptop runs both of those programs fine, but it's pretty old. It's running an older i3 with 4GB of RAM. Renoise says its CPU usage is around 30% for more effects heavy songs.

I'd like to build a machine that's fairly small and capable. If anyone one can point me in the right direction, that'd be great. Thanks.

Chavelo

I don't know much about the MSI cards, but I have an ASUS Strix card and love it. Their GPU tweak software is decent and the RGB stuff is cool if you're into that

Dope, been hearing a lot of good stuff (like your post) for those two cards, super excited to drop the cash this weekend. :D

concept_612TX

Neo Member
Is it possible to transfer/clone your c drive to a new drive? I plan on getting a 1TB SSD in the next month but i would rather clone or transfer my current 250GB to it instead of having to reinstall everything again.

I used clonezilla (clonezilla.org) to clone my 60gb ssd to a 250gb ssd. It was very easy.

You just need a spare USB thumb drive, and connect the new ssd either through usb or another sata port(faster). I suggest to disconnect any other drive before starting the process.

The live docs have a good step by step guide.

I followed this process: disk to disk clone, just be sure to read the notes in red in each step (I missed the note in step 6 and had to start over the process.. :( ).

hoserx

I had been looking to add more SSD space to my machine recently.....came upon this deal (pricing error) on WD SSDS. They were marked at $20, instead of $20 off. With that, after a seriously crazy rollercoaster of shipping and shipments being recalled and intercepted, I received one of those shipping envelopes, filled with this:

Zl3KCSN.jpg

Dell literally tried to intercept the package this morning, after it was out for delivery. They realized the error relatively early but many drives still shipped to people. I thought I had it guaranteed this morning.....then I got a "shipment has been adjusted to a different address" message. I quickly changed it back to my address. The rest is history...... haha.

I had been looking to add more SSD space to my machine recently.....came upon this deal (pricing error) on WD SSDS. They were marked at $20, instead of $20 off. With that, after a seriously crazy rollercoaster of shipping and shipments being recalled and intercepted, I received one of those shipping envelopes, filled with this:

Dell literally tried to intercept the package this morning, after it was out for delivery. They realized the error relatively early but many drives still shipped to people. I thought I had it guaranteed this morning.....then I got a "shipment has been adjusted to a different address" message. I quickly changed it back to my address. The rest is history...... haha.

damn, you really won huh?

I'll buy one off you ;D

Unkle

Beautiful. Pure and simple.

I had the ASUS STRIX since day 1 of launch and it's a dream, super quiet, I set it to have the fans off until they GPU core reaches 60c and gave it a light fan curve and it never got above 73c in any game. Oh and it GPU boosted it's core to 2025 by itself all the time, and itm memory was able to maintain an OC of 9.2GHz, up from 8GHz.

Magus1234

I got CPU that was pretty new, 16gb/win10/gtx1080/i7 with a bill of good health from a computer store I brought it into when I put it together. I don't know if this is the right place but if someone wants it for good price pm me. I'm moving and realize I don't use it enough to justify it.

I popped in earlier about upgrading my CPU, and it was a good thing I had waited because new and more powerful stuff came along for nearly the same price.

I am now thinking of upgrading a few components at this point, to fit the new Kaby Lake I5 that came out a few days ago.

Intel® Core™ i5-7600K Processor(6M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)

It's an LGA 1151, so I'd have to put out for a new Motherboard and RAM. Right now, I'm rocking a Z97 with a I3-4150 @ 3.5GHz (DUAL CORE!! AGH!) It's currently going for around $250 (Newegg link)

I have an R9 280x that's still kickin' pretty good. The dual core seems like a bottleneck, so I don't think I've been getting all the juice out of it. Still 16GB of RAM.

So I can't have an LGA 1151 at the moment. I went over to PCPartPicker to put together a quick prospective upgrade build. Three things: CPU, Motherboard, and RAM.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zmqbVY
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zmqbVY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($261.10 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($161.23 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($130.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $553.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-09 16:55 EST-0500

This is pretty much my Star Citizen upgrade and will be the build that takes me into 2020 at the very least. I'm wondering if another set of eyes might see any flaws in this plan. Is it worth to put ~$500 into this new stuff, or would it be best to pretty much stick with what I have an get a new (but older) LGA 1150 quad-core processor?

Chavelo

I got CPU that was pretty new, 16gb/win10/gtx1080/i7 with a bill of good health from a computer store I brought it into when I put it together. I don't know if this is the right place but if someone wants it for good price pm me. I'm moving and realize I don't use it enough to justify it.

You probably want to post specs/info/pics on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread over at the Gaming Community sub-forum, much higher traffic of people looking to buy stuff.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221967

I had the ASUS STRIX since day 1 of launch and it's a dream, super quiet, I set it to have the fans off until they GPU core reaches 60c and gave it a light fan curve and it never got above 73c in any game. Oh and it GPU boosted it's core to 2025 by itself all the time, and itm memory was able to maintain an OC of 9.2GHz, up from 8GHz.

Yeah, it's looking very likely that I'll go with the ASUS, benchmarks look very promising. Can't wait to replay DOOM on Ultra settings. Now I'm ust trying to convince myself that dropping $400 for a video card will be worth it haha. :p

Jezbollah

I sometimes think I should have gone with an Asus Strix 1070 rather than my EVGA Hybrid, given the air cooling performance.

That's great to hear. I just bought the 1070 STRIX this weekend. Excited to install it when it's delivered.

Jezbollah

Well this fucking sucks. After changing my motherboard, I can't activate windows 10 now. Has anyone run into this issue?

Yep, the Windows licensing is tied to your motherboard. You can pretty much replace everything else and you wont get this issue. Call up MS, they should be able to reactivate it without delay.

Yeah, it's looking very likely that I'll go with the ASUS, benchmarks look very promising. Can't wait to replay DOOM on Ultra settings. Now I'm ust trying to convince myself that dropping $400 for a video card will be worth it haha. :p

I sometimes think I should have gone with an Asus Strix 1070 rather than my EVGA Hybrid, given the air cooling performance.

That's great to hear. I just bought the 1070 STRIX this weekend. Excited to install it when it's delivered.
Yeah I wish I had waited to sell mine just sold it last week for $400 shipped on eBay. I'm upgrading to a ZOTAC 1080 mini and I'm gonna put a dremel to it and shave about 10mm off the end of the aluminum fins and shroud to fit it inside an NFC S4 mini. :D

The card is 213mm long and its 203 mm from the back of the card to the back of the 5mm thick aluminum wrap-around bezel on the front of the S4-mini. But I should be able to make it fit with a dremel and carefully cutting off 10mm of the end of the card's heatsink/aluminum fins and metal card shroud. That card, along with my 7700K and M.2 boot drive and DDR4 4000MHz (on an ASUS z270i STRIX Mini-ITX), should make this the fastest S4-mini in existence, in addition to being the fastest gaming PC in such a small case (4.3L volume).

23qwerty

Yep, the Windows licensing is tied to your motherboard. You can pretty much replace everything else and you wont get this issue. Call up MS, they should be able to reactivate it without delay.

It seems hit and miss tbh, I was able to put a new motherboard/cpu/ram/gpu/etc and my windows 10 install didn't have any issues with that

Gigglepop

Banned

Check hardware swap for a 980ti.

Also all the benchmarks use stock 980ti's vs 1070s. 1070s never run at stock because of gpu boost. An OCed 980ti trades blows with 1070s.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/

OneUh8

I have a 1070 and a 144hz 1080p gsync monitor. Lots of games I can play maxed out and it sits around that 144fps range. Obviously super demanding games or poorly optimized games go to around the 100fps range. But I can't really say I have seen my fps drop below 100fps very much no matter what I play. Personally I would save the money and get a 1070.

My pc has no working fans outside of the CPU fans, what can i get off ebay for cheap that can be recommended?

Anything really. Just make sure you search for terms like 'quiet' and the such since I bought two 120mm fans and they are the loudest in my case even though I have two 200mm fans, plus the CPU and GPU fans and all of those are silent as a cat burglar.
Also, check with known brands as they can come very cheap as those no-brands.

Pro tip: the only thing you would want to MAYBE look into is the type of fan if you are mounting it horizontally. I wouldn't bother with that, but some do.

Megauap

I popped in earlier about upgrading my CPU, and it was a good thing I had waited because new and more powerful stuff came along for nearly the same price.

I am now thinking of upgrading a few components at this point, to fit the new Kaby Lake I5 that came out a few days ago.

Intel® Core™ i5-7600K Processor(6M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)

It's an LGA 1151, so I'd have to put out for a new Motherboard and RAM. Right now, I'm rocking a Z97 with a I3-4150 @ 3.5GHz (DUAL CORE!! AGH!) It's currently going for around $250 (Newegg link)

I have an R9 280x that's still kickin' pretty good. The dual core seems like a bottleneck, so I don't think I've been getting all the juice out of it. Still 16GB of RAM.

So I can't have an LGA 1151 at the moment. I went over to PCPartPicker to put together a quick prospective upgrade build. Three things: CPU, Motherboard, and RAM.

This is pretty much my Star Citizen upgrade and will be the build that takes me into 2020 at the very least. I'm wondering if another set of eyes might see any flaws in this plan. Is it worth to put ~$500 into this new stuff, or would it be best to pretty much stick with what I have an get a new (but older) LGA 1150 quad-core processor?

Keep in mind that you will need to update the BIOS of the Z170 to be able to use the new 7000 series Intel processors. I would recommend you to get a Z270 motherboard instead as it already supports the Kaby Lake processors.

Why can't things just work for once? :( Ever since I had to replace my PSU the front audio on my Define R4 stopped working. I was never bothered enough by it to find out why until today. Well it seemed like the front-end of the cable was just loose so I carefully pried off the bezel and sure enough when I fiddled with the front-audio cable there was a "click" and my front audio works again.

In the process I broke the fan-controller though o.o Only the upper fan spins and no matter what setting I put the switch on the fans don't go faster, I guess I have to open the case up afterall and see what's up with that :/

EDIT: Phew okay it was just the cable of the fan-controller itself that became loose, that was thankfully an easy fix :p

ISee

Wow, the new Kaby Pentium (G4620) supports hyper threading. The i3 still clocks higher (4.2 vs 3.7), has more l3 cache and supports avx, avx 2.0, but overall the pentium may be a valid low lvl entry gaming cpu now.

ISee

I have an 7700K on the way, but still using an Asus Z170-A. Anyone know if the latest 3007 bios has support for it?

The description for BIOS 3007 said nothing about the new intel CPU. Only that it improved system stability, so I doubt it. Apparently there was a 3307 for some time, but it had some problems and ASUS took it down.

7700K on the way, anyone want a good deal on a 6700K let me know ;) (UK)

Just out of curiosity why do you switch from a 6700 to a 7700?

Gigglepop

Banned
I have an 7700K on the way, but still using an Asus Z170-A. Anyone know if the latest 3007 bios has support for it?

Found this on google:

"Look on the motherboard, there should be a sticker with the bios version, if it is 2002 or above you are good to go, 2002 is compatible but doesn't give full functionality, you would need to update to the 3000 series bios for that.
Read the manual to see if it has ASUS bios flashback capability, with ASUS flashback the bios can be updated without a CPU or memory installed only the power supply connected to the board "

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89981-Z170-A-and-kaby-lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom