• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just viewing angles, TN just has generally worse color accuracy.

They aren't so universally horrible as some people make them out to be though. I actually kind of appreciate the complete lack of reflections, since they tend to be matte.

Im aware of the colors i just dont think i care too much as alot of people paint them with a broad brush and claim them all the same. That dell in particular is time and time again in almost all reviews praised for its color reproduction

Smokey

Really not a fan of that RGB LED nonsense.

Even the current Motherboards are plagued with it, instead of coming with nice colors.

I don't mind it. The rainbow stuff is whatever, but being able to coordinate your setup to whatever color you want, how is that a bad thing? You can completely disable it if you want. It's better than being stuck with some terrible color on the Mobo and you can't change it imo.

Primus

You could go ahead and put in a order on amazon.com but continue looking.
That way if they get some in stock then you're already in line, but if someone else gets some then you can easily cancel since Amazon doesn't charge until you ship. That's how I got my 1TB 960 Pro (placing an order before the site said they were back in stock).

I ended up doing that on Monday, hopefully it won't take too long to ship although other folks seem to be seeing 4-6 weeks lead time from Amazon. Sigh.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
CvPGxTA.jpg

m7rac8s.jpg

gIB5WnZ.jpg

Well my PC upgrade is more or less complete. Still have some tidying to do, but it's installed!!

I think it looks p.cool and is more or less exactly what I set out to build. Made the whole thing with a Dremel 3000 and a poprivet gun. Lots and lots of trial and error but I'm keen to build a case from scratch now. Luckily the current iteration should give me a few years to get it done, lol. I've been working on this since like, July. Which is a very long time.

Lots of speedbumps and frustration along the way. I still have to make a removable cover for it. You can see the knuckle-catches just waiting to be attached to a front plate.

Was a lot of fun and a very rewarding project. My first casemod ever.

And damn does titanfall2 run smoothly.

Akai__

I don't mind it. The rainbow stuff is whatever, but being able to coordinate your setup to whatever color you want, how is that a bad thing? You can completely disable it if you want. It's better than being stuck with some terrible color on the Mobo and you can't change it imo.

Not saying that it is a bad thing. I'm saying that I'm personally not a fan of it.

I realize the topic is a bit out there, I never really expected to be asking about the inner workings of certain PSU when I decided to start picking out my PC components. But here we are, so your response is very much appreciated!

But now that you mention it, I'm actually kind of interested in why inrush current seems to fluctuate so much between different power supplies. You also mentioned holdup times with regard to high inrush, what are those?

So, inrush is mostly determined by the amount of input capacitance on the power supply (which also determines hold-up time, the amount of time it keeps operating after power is lost). Inrush is really very loosely specified by the ATX standard, which is probably why it varies so much.

Other than reducing the cap size, the way it's usually controlled is with a thermistor on the input. The thermistor starts at high resistance and drops as it gets warmer. Higher inrush means you need to size/rate components that see that inrush accordingly. But, just using a larger thermistor has some downsides too. You can also get fancy and put in a by-pass around the thermistor once the cap is charged, but that's extra cost.

These things get designed by finding the most cost effective balance of parts that does the job. Which is why I'd be comfortable recommending a supply from a reputable maker despite higher inrush. There I trust they took all the relevant factors into account, and if the higher inrush meant a fraction of a watt power savings, or a few cents off their BOM cost, I'm fine with that. It's always possible they got something wrong, but they've earned the benefit of the doubt. On a cheapo unit it's a potential red-flag as they may have just cut corners to keep the cost down.

Hm. Something curious has happened since installing the 6700k. Decided to have a go at the Witcher 3, and found my framerates had dropped severely from the FX-6350 I was using up until yesterday. Areas that the FX-6350 had managed to do 40-55 FPS - for example, Oxenfurt and Novigrad - were struggling to get above 35, and in some brief instances went below 30. The weird part though is that I tracked the temperature, and under load the CPU was at around 55-60 degrees, so no thermal bottlenecking going on. Quickly went through Fire Strike afterwards to see if the CPU was somehow underutilised in general - score came out roughly the same as when I tested it earlier in the day, around 1700 points higher than the FX-6350's result range. So far as I can tell, the CPU is working just fine.

So... yeah, any suggestions for why there's been such a severe performance drop in the game?

gamma

Hey guys,

a friend asked me to build him an PC. Main uses are office/multimedia. He wants it to be fairly small with a cube case. Here's what I'm thinking:

Intel Pentium G4560
Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI
8GB DDR4-2400 (cheapest I can find)
Fractal Design Core 500
be quiet! Pure Power 10 400W
Samsung SSD 850 Evo 250GB

Only thing I'm not sure about is the mainboard. Mini-ITX H270s seem to be pretty expensive at the moment. The one I listed is 130€ which is basically Z270 level so I'm thinking B250. The MSI B250I Pro is 90€. Thoughts?

Bloodember

Hey guys,

a friend asked me to build him an PC. Main uses are office/multimedia. He wants it to be fairly small with a cube case. Here's what I'm thinking:

Intel Pentium G4560
Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI
Fractal Design Core 500

Only thing I'm not sure about is the mainboard. Mini-ITX H270s seem to be pretty expensive at the moment. The one I listed is 130€ which is basically Z270 level so I'm thinking B250. The MSI B250I Pro is 90€. Thoughts?
If your not getting a Z processor the H or B250 will work.

T_V_H

if its still at the on sale price when my taxes arrive ive decided on this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27...D=1&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-rr7KoJx4kYk7G61EIrD9BQ

if not then this is the one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VRCLHYS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

cmon gsync

I have that Dell and it's great (for a TN panel). It was actually the first monitor I found satisfactory after returning 3 AOC monitors for backlightbleed and dead pixels. Only thing I dislike is the certain "grainy" look it has on white backgrounds due to the anti-glare coating.

It's a bad thing because you're paying a premium for that "rainbow stuff." RGB is the new "Xtr3m3 Gamer" design trend. I don't want rainbow lights any more than I want dragons and skulls on my electronics.

It's a bad thing because you're paying a premium for that "rainbow stuff." RGB is the new "Xtr3m3 Gamer" design trend. I don't want rainbow lights any more than I want dragons and skulls on my electronics.

Yeah its funny seeing the entire industry adopt these things. I put a couple of strips cause I like seeing inside my case. It's quite beautiful with my hoses it looks like a Ferrari engine. But the whole gamer design stuff is pretty bad

Smokey

Not saying that it is a bad thing. I'm saying that I'm personally not a fan of it.

Oh I know, I was just pointing out how I think its better than the example I gave.

Luckily for you, you're not forced by anybody to buy any of it. Choice is pretty great.

The XG270HU you linked is Freesync as well.

I have the Asus MG279Q which I got for $440 and it's great. But yea the Dell has been pretty well received. I just refuse to buy Gsync monitors because they are actively blocking adaptive sync in their cards (it's a standard of Display Port) Nvidia forcefully blocks them to sell more expensive monitors and force ecosystem lockin.

I say this as a Nvidia supporter for over a decade and someone with a 1070. They got real greedy.

That's my issue right now. I bought a 1440p 27" IPS dell for $380 but it's not variable refresh rate. I'm not sure if I should return it and get a gsync monitor for $750 or just stay with the current one. I feel weird paying $800 for a monitor and then be locked to nvidia cards for the life of the monitor.

Is gsync really that good?

AkumaNiko

Whats the current go rate for a used GTX 970 and a FX6300 w/ Mobo? Trying to upgrade my wife's pc and want to unload her current set up

Dave_6

I need some ideas on what might be wrong or something I can check. My internet is working (Charter/Spectrum cable, Max package, 60+ mbps minimum) but I'm not getting anywhere near the speeds I should be. My download is around 27 mbps and the upload is 3 mbps at best, even when tested early in the morning or midday. All Cat 5e cables, router is on the latest firmware, I've reset the modem and router. When I first run a speed test, the download initially peaks over 70 but falls off immediately. Is there anything else I can check on my end or could this be a cable issue...?

Any downloads on Steam are ~3.5 mbps at best.

Weevilone

I need some ideas on what might be wrong or something I can check. My internet is working (Charter/Spectrum cable, Max package, 60+ mbps minimum) but I'm not getting anywhere near the speeds I should be. My download is around 27 mbps and the upload is 3 mbps at best, even when tested early in the morning or midday. All Cat 5e cables, router is on the latest firmware, I've reset the modem and router. When I first run a speed test, the download initially peaks over 70 but falls off immediately. Is there anything else I can check on my end or could this be a cable issue...?

Any downloads on Steam are ~3.5 mbps at best.

That's almost certainly a Charter issue.

gamma

Hey guys,

Intel Pentium G4560
Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI
Fractal Design Core 500

If your not getting a Z processor the H or B250 will work.

I just realized that the older Z/H170 chipsets also work with Kaby Lake. Is there any reason to go with the 2xx series?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Well fuck. It seems like there is something wrong with my Gigabyte GTX 1080. I noticed that in some games it would glitch out. Well, I was playing Hitman almost exclusively and randomly (and infrequently) it would hang. I thought it was just the the game. Recently I started playing RE: Revelations 2. It was all going fine... running really well.. then it was hanging in the same way Hitman was hanging. It finally crashed and I had to reboot my PC as it was all locked up.

Well, that started a bunch of shit. I couldn't get it to start normally. Everything was freezing up about 1 minute after I started it. Then I tried reinstalling Windows. Still had the issues. Tried reinstalling drivers... computer wouldn't start at all, had to use integrated graphics. While the GPU was still connected, I still had issues with integrated graphics. When I took out my GPU it was fine. I cannot get the drivers to install at all, when I restart it always screws up.

Putting in a GTX 970 works fine. Seems like the GPU is the issue, right? I momentarily thought it might be my PSU or motherboard, but it working with my 970 seems less likely.

Bloodember

I just realized that the older Z/H170 chipsets also work with Kaby Lake. Is there any reason to go with the 2xx series?

Yes, the 1xx boards might not work without a bios update and the 2xx series is designed for kaby lake. Just get the 2xx series boards so you don't have any issues.

Luckily for you, you're not forced by anybody to buy any of it. Choice is pretty great.

If one wants a high-end Asus z270 board, one has no choice but to pay for RGB horseshit. Pretty great choice there.

I just finished a Kaby/mATX build. On the only z270 Asus mATX board, they've actually dropped a fan header to make room for an RGB header. You're going to tell me that you don't see anything wrong with the decision to trade actual hardware functionality for the ability to color coordinate decorative lights?

If one wants a high-end Asus z270 board, one has no choice but to pay for RGB horseshit. Pretty great choice there.

I just finished a Kaby/mATX build. On the only z270 Asus mATX board, they've actually dropped a fan header to make room for an RGB header. You're going to tell me that you don't see anything wrong with the decision to trade actual hardware functionality for the ability to color coordinate decorative lights?

It may not be an issue for some people especially if their case uses a fanhub or if they have one themselves. I mean me personally, I was a fan of RGB lighting because I wanted an ASUS ROG motherboard without the red accents. I didn't see the need for RGB on the board, but it having it on and being able to customize it with the the light on my GPU was a nice touch. If your case doesn't have a window panel, I can see your argument, but a lot of cases do and the whole point of having a windowed side panel is to show off your configuration.

Smokey

That does suck, but if Asus is going all out on RGB and it's not something you approve of, maybe look at a different vendor?

LilJoka

RGB is the biggest pile of crap to hit the scene.
All these disco rigs look so silly.
Loosing a fan header is daft.

In other news, I got my 4K tv - playing games in 1080p is absolutely fine, no artifacts or pixelation can be seen at my viewing distance. :)

I played doom and overwatch in 4K and it's pretty incredible.

LilJoka

Hm. Something curious has happened since installing the 6700k. Decided to have a go at the Witcher 3, and found my framerates had dropped severely from the FX-6350 I was using up until yesterday. Areas that the FX-6350 had managed to do 40-55 FPS - for example, Oxenfurt and Novigrad - were struggling to get above 35, and in some brief instances went below 30. The weird part though is that I tracked the temperature, and under load the CPU was at around 55-60 degrees, so no thermal bottlenecking going on. Quickly went through Fire Strike afterwards to see if the CPU was somehow underutilised in general - score came out roughly the same as when I tested it earlier in the day, around 1700 points higher than the FX-6350's result range. So far as I can tell, the CPU is working just fine.

So... yeah, any suggestions for why there's been such a severe performance drop in the game?

Since this is my CPU I'm obliged to help lol.

What's the rest of the rigs specs?
Have you monitored the CPU clock speed in game? It should be around 4Ghz.

What was the fire strike CPU score?

And certain nothing is hogging the system in the background?

So, inrush is mostly determined by the amount of input capacitance on the power supply (which also determines hold-up time, the amount of time it keeps operating after power is lost). Inrush is really very loosely specified by the ATX standard, which is probably why it varies so much.

Other than reducing the cap size, the way it's usually controlled is with a thermistor on the input. The thermistor starts at high resistance and drops as it gets warmer. Higher inrush means you need to size/rate components that see that inrush accordingly. But, just using a larger thermistor has some downsides too. You can also get fancy and put in a by-pass around the thermistor once the cap is charged, but that's extra cost.

These things get designed by finding the most cost effective balance of parts that does the job. Which is why I'd be comfortable recommending a supply from a reputable maker despite higher inrush. There I trust they took all the relevant factors into account, and if the higher inrush meant a fraction of a watt power savings, or a few cents off their BOM cost, I'm fine with that. It's always possible they got something wrong, but they've earned the benefit of the doubt. On a cheapo unit it's a potential red-flag as they may have just cut corners to keep the cost down.

Thanks for the in-depth information, very interesting! I'll just not worry about it and get the PSU I originally planned to get.

Since this is my CPU I'm obliged to help lol.

What's the rest of the rigs specs?
Have you monitored the CPU clock speed in game? It should be around 4Ghz.

What was the fire strike CPU score?

And certain nothing is hogging the system in the background?

GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair LPX DDR4-2400
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P ATX Motherboard
SSD: Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III (the one the game is currently installed on)

Score in Fire Strike after just leaving The Witcher 3: 9870
Score when I tried it earlier in the day: 9868
Example of what the FX-6350 gave me: 8151
Edit: Ah wait, you asked for CPU score, not overall. If you mean the Physics Test, then it scored 12928 and 12715, while the 6350 previously only managed 6736. So in Fire Strike the thing has roughly doubled my result.

Will take a look at CPU clock in game.

Edit:
Okay, having trouble figuring out how to track the CPU clock speed (using MSI afterburner), but did notice something interesting on CPU usage. In Novigrad, which I know is one of the most CPU intensive areas of the game, the 6700k was only hovering around 50% usage on the various cores. Is that where it should be?

LilJoka

SSD: Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III (the one the game is currently installed on)

Edit: Ah wait, you asked for CPU score, not overall. If you mean the Physics Test, then it scored 12928 and 12715, while the 6350 previously only managed 6736. So in Fire Strike the thing has roughly doubled my result.

Edit:
Okay, having trouble figuring out how to track the CPU clock speed (using MSI afterburner), but did notice something interesting on CPU usage. In Novigrad, which I know is one of the most CPU intensive areas of the game, the 6700k was only hovering around 50% usage on the various cores. Is that where it should be?

Check the GPU usage, is it at 99%? 1080p?

Here's a test, drop the graphics settings and see if the CPU usage goes up as the fps go up into the 100s.

12000 physics score seems about right.

Here's a test, drop the graphics settings and see if the CPU usage goes up as the fps go up into the 100s.

...Hm. GPU usage only around the 80s, though it was a short session today (checking some stuff at Uni). Previously I've known it to hang around 100%, though I remember that mostly from Kaer Morhen. Will check there when I get back.

And yeah, running at 1080p.

I heard RAM prices are expected to go up?

Any chance this is true?

If so, should I go ahead and buy now if I plan on upgrades in a few months?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Well my PC upgrade is more or less complete. Still have some tidying to do, but it's installed!!

I think it looks p.cool and is more or less exactly what I set out to build. Made the whole thing with a Dremel 3000 and a poprivet gun. Lots and lots of trial and error but I'm keen to build a case from scratch now. Luckily the current iteration should give me a few years to get it done, lol. I've been working on this since like, July. Which is a very long time.

Lots of speedbumps and frustration along the way. I still have to make a removable cover for it. You can see the knuckle-catches just waiting to be attached to a front plate.

Was a lot of fun and a very rewarding project. My first casemod ever.

And damn does titanfall2 run smoothly.

I'm confused, why did you do this? Doesn't the cord sticking out of the top of the machine bother you?

I heard RAM prices are expected to go up?

Any chance this is true?

If so, should I go ahead and buy now if I plan on upgrades in a few months?
Yup: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ram-prices-are-increasing-until-third-quarter-2017/
The reason for the increase in RAM prices is similar to the reason it affects SSD prices — issues such as power outages affecting DRAM manufacturer Samsung have decreased RAM supply at the same time that demand continues to go up. Servers and mobile RAM are the primary drivers of the increased demand, particularly as Android smartphones continue to increase the amount of installed memory.

On Tuesday, according to DigiTimes, demand remains strong and supply hasn’t yet caught up. As Pei-ing Lee, President of RAM manufacturer Nanya Technology, puts it, “The global DRAM supply will continue to fall slightly short of demand in the second quarter,” and therefore that company’s prices will continue to increase accordingly.

Just how bad is RAM pricing? A 16GB RAM kit that could be purchased from Newegg in November for $75 now costs $92. Another 16GB kit that cost $80 in December runs $100 or more. According to industry sources, it could be the third quarter of 2017 before prices stabilize.

So, some further investigation turned up an... interesting result.

Went to Kaer Morhen, a place I know I'd seen get 100% GPU usage, and... it did, game running nicely around 60 FPS (haven't tested with lowered settings yet, did this real quick). Then I went back to Novigrad, and the framerate dropped... as did GPU usage. And though it wasn't consistently 1:1, the lower the framerate got, the lower the GPU usage was as well. Going into secluded areas saw the framerate go back up again, while walking out into markets saw it drop; same for the GPU usage.

appaws

Banned

Yeah, having that flexibility is really cool. I built my last build with all black and white, Z170A, white tubing, chrome fittings. Now that I added RGB with a NZXT Hue+, I can make it whatever color I want and the monochrome interior picks up the color of the lights. Tres Cool.

A couple gens ago we were overwhelmed with too much black and red on everything. I am enjoying the RGB era.

LilJoka

So, some further investigation turned up an... interesting result.

Went to Kaer Morhen, a place I know I'd seen get 100% GPU usage, and... it did, game running nicely around 60 FPS (haven't tested with lowered settings yet, did this real quick). Then I went back to Novigrad, and the framerate dropped... as did GPU usage. And though it wasn't consistently 1:1, the lower the framerate got, the lower the GPU usage was as well. Going into secluded areas saw the framerate go back up again, while walking out into markets saw it drop; same for the GPU usage.

Full windows reinstall after switching from AMD to Intel?
Almost sounds like vsync capping the fps.

Thraktor

Edit:

Get RealTemp and enable logging. It logs clock speed in a text file (along with temperatures, obviously), and if you leave it running while you play the game you can check back over the file to see if it was maintaining full clocks while playing. If it is clocking up properly it may be worth checking to make sure your RAM is properly installed, is running at the right speeds and is running in dual-channel mode, as that could in theory be a bottleneck in these kinds of situations.

It's propylene glycol, which shouldn't cause any permanents damage to electrical components.

Shouldn't and can't are two different things though.
An update. My GPU lives! Tried it on another computer. Probably most of the other components as well. I bought a new (air) cooler and installed it. But I'm afraid to try it out since when I removed the GPU a fair bit of liquid leaked down towards the PSU.

How long should I wait? Judging by the GPU this liquid dries ever so slowly, but I don't know if anything actually has leaked into the PSU or if it was just a puddle on top of it.

Hey guys, I'm finally upgrading my monitor to a Acer KN242HYL. I was wondering if it has a DVI-D port. It says it has a DVI port, and HDMI, but I'm not sure if it's DVI-D, because my RX480 has DVI-D, and HDMI. So I just wanted to know if anyone with this monitor if it has DVI-D, or will it work show just fine if I just connect my PC to it via HDMI from the GPU.

EDIT: Looked at the pics, and it has DVI-D lol. Ordered for $100 even.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Any update on what mice to buy?

I have a Steel Series Sensei. I like it, but was looking to maybe getting a new mouse. I especially hate the 3 foot usb cable that comes with it and I'm not keen on using a usb extender if it introduces latency.

kennah

I have a Steel Series Sensei. I like it, but was looking to maybe getting a new mouse. I especially hate the 3 foot usb cable that comes with it and I'm not keen on using a usb extender if it introduces latency.

Unless you're running it through an extension that is more than 5 metres long, or through some cheap USB hubs, you won't get any latency on an extension cable.

Vipu

Banned

Need a bit more info what you want.
But my blind recommendation is G403/G900 wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom