• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I feel bummed. I was going to build a white-themed PC (anytime) this year, gradually buying parts as they go on sale. I decided to wait for Vega and Ryzen but saw a white Asus 8GB RX480 for about 35% off. It was such a good deal but I don't know how good Vega will be, or if it'll bump the prices of RX480s down. It's now back to its original price but I'm having a bit of regret right now.

ISee

I finally did it GAF, I delid my 6700k.
The hardest test so far was prime95 (28.10), so I assume it is a version with full avx instructions on the fpu (therefore running a lot hotter, afaik).

The 6700k is running at 4.7ghz (1.36v). Temperatures hover around 75°C on average (with an initial high spike). Test time was only 15 minutes, but this looks very promising so far.

prime 28.10 said:
delid_15minutes0xxdz.jpg

edit:

Prime 95 26.60.
The 6700k runs at 4.8ghz (1.36v). Temperatures hover around 72°C. Test Time 30 minutes (just to check how things are).

That's actually quite good for a 6700k (imo), especially the temperatures. I really begin to wonder why Intel doesn't care to apply better thermal paste and to improve the clearance between the die and spreader. Would costs really go up that much?

nkarafo

So i bought the Gigabyte 1060 and played some resident evil. Then the game started crawling. When i closed it, hardware monitor reported that the GPU was at 97c !!!!

Wtf, why didn't the fans automatically start? I can manually move them but shouldn't they start automatically?

Also, did i ruin my card? That temp was was only for 1 minute...

Edit: I tried again. The fans don't spin automatically after the card reaches 60%. What do?

ISee

So i bought the Gigabyte 1060 and played some resident evil. Then the game started crawling. When i closed it, hardware monitor reported that the GPU was at 97c !!!!

Wtf, why didn't the fans automatically start? I can manually move them but shouldn't they start automatically?

It should start to spin automatically (obviously).
Were you playing around with fan settings beforehand? Like adjusting the curve or playing around with set values?

97°C are extremely high. It should actually start to down throttle at around 80°C. Did you ram up the power limit with an oc tool? Power limit and temp limit are often linked and increasing one will increase the other. Separating them is always a good idea.

If your card still runs and is able to boost to its previous clock speed it is probably fine. Set everything to default and test again, if fans still don't go up and temperatures begin to go above 81°C it is probably a faulty card.

nkarafo

It should start to spin automatically (obviously).
Were you playing around with fan settings beforehand? Like adjusting the curve or playing around with set values?

97°C are extremely high. It should actually start to down throttle at around 80°C. Did you ram up the power limit with an oc tool? Power limit and temp limit are often linked and increasing one will increase the other. Separating them is always a good idea.

If your card still runs and is able to boost to its previous clock speed it is probably fine.
I only opened hardware monitor and tested the fan speeds to see how loud they can get. But then i reverted it to default. I never touch voltages and never overclock.

Now the fans won't start automatically, even when the hardware monitor program is off. I didn't have this problem with the 960, i was using hardware monitor all the time.

I finally did it GAF, I delid my 6700k.
The hardest test so far was prime95 (28.10), so I assume it is a version with full avx instructions on the fpu (therefore running a lot hotter, afaik).

The 6700k is running at 4.7ghz (1.36v). Temperatures hover around 75°C on average (with an initial high spike). Test time was only 15 minutes, but this looks very promising so far.

edit:

Prime 95 26.60.
The 6700k runs at 4.8ghz (1.36v). Temperatures hover around 72°C. Test Time 30 minutes (just to check how things are).

That's actually quite good for a 6700k (imo), especially the temperatures. I really begin to wonder why Intel doesn't care to apply better thermal paste and to improve the clearance between the die and spreader. Would costs really go up that much?

if you want to check how hot the CPU will get try Intel Burn Test. highest i got in Prime95 was 76C after about an hour. in IBT the highest it went was 83C. it takes less time than Prime95 which starts off slow at first but with IBT it just spikes right up after a couple seconds.

my 6700K is running at 4.5 with 1.34V :( using a 212X cooler.

ISee

I only opened hardware monitor and tested the fan speeds to see how loud they can get. But then i reverted it to default. I never touch voltages and never overclock.

Now the fans won't start automatically, even when the hardware monitor program is off. I didn't have this problem with the 960, i was using hardware monitor all the time.

Never used HWmonitor to be honest. But this sounds very, very weird. Which Gigabyte 1060 are you using exactly?
Also try deinstalling it HWmonitor, just in case (don't forget to reboot).
You can use GPU-Z (or something else) to monitor your gpu.

if you want to check how hot the CPU will get try Intel Burn Test. highest i got in Prime95 was 76C after about an hour. in IBT the highest it went was 83C. it takes less time than Prime95 which starts off slow at first but with IBT it just spikes right up after a couple seconds.

my 6700K is running at 4.5 with 1.34V :( using a 212X cooler.

Will test, thx for the tip.
4.5 ghz at 1.34 is definitely in the upper third and 76°C with an evo 212X is actually also good. No need for a sad face here! You have a good skylake cpu.

Xiofire

Edit: I tried again. The fans don't spin automatically after the card reaches 60%. What do?

If I'm reading this correctly, this is by design. Most GPU's these days don't spin up their fans until they hit 60 degrees, it allows for silent operation in less demanding titles like LoL or while on the deskop/internet.

You can use a custom fan profile using MSI Afterburner or similar software to get around this.

Here's the first vid I could find to set this up to give you the jist of how to go about it.

Hey guys looking to upgrade my Gtx 770. The old boy still puts in a fairly decent performance but the 2gb vram is super dated and it's developed some pretty hideous coil whine over time (my fault for not researching better, it's a palit oc and reviews literally noted it as a problem). Anyway, is the msi 1070 gaming X still a good option as a 1070 card? It's to go in a fractal node 304 and some reading certainly seemed to indicate that it'll fit in fine and that noise/thermals are a good fit for the case. Purchase won't be until May but just looking for some thoughts so I can have a solid budget in mind.

Will test, thx for the tip.
4.5 ghz at 1.34 is definitely in the upper third and 76°C with an evo 212X is actually also good. No need for a sad face here! You have a good skylake cpu.

what do you mean by upper third? 76C is only what it does in Prime95. during games it usually sits anywhere between 50-70 depending on the game and what is happening. video work it can go to about 73C. i'm quite happy with the temperatures.

i guess i'm just a bit disappointed because i keep seeing people with higher overclocks and less voltage. 4.5 is only 0.3 over the turbo boost speeds. i'm not sure if it's worth trying for 4.6 or 4.7. i could do 4.4 at 1.3V so i imagine going up to 4.6 would put me close to 1.4V

Hey guys looking to upgrade my Gtx 770. The old boy still puts in a fairly decent performance but the 2gb vram is super dated and it's developed some pretty hideous coil whine over time (my fault for not researching better, it's a palit oc and reviews literally noted it as a problem). Anyway, is the msi 1070 gaming X still a good option as a 1070 card? It's to go in a fractal node 304 and some reading certainly seemed to indicate that it'll fit in fine and that noise/thermals are a good fit for the case. Purchase won't be until May but just looking for some thoughts so I can have a solid budget in mind.

i have that 1070 and love it. idles at roughly 33-35C and never goes over 70C while overclocked. fans usually go to about 50-60% when they turn on but this is still very quiet. <70% is ideal. after that it would be quite distracting. 85% and above is loud. i highly recommend it.

ISee

My opinion:

1. Gigabyte 1070 xtreme

Old gigabyte 9xx gaming design (more or less). Good cooling, 2x8 pin power connectors, very good for overclocking but also very expansive.

2. MSI 1070 gaming z and MSI 1070 gaming x

Overall very good cards. I bought the 1070 x myself. The card is very silent, even if you increase the fan curve. 1x6 pin and 1x 8pin power connector which are enough for further manual overclocking, I'm able to hold 65°C @ 2040mhz with a slithly adjustet fan curve (still silent). But watch out the card is wider than normal cards.

3. Asus 1070 strix OC

Also a very good card. Nothing to complain here.

4. Gigabyte 1070 gaming

Would have been very good (bought it initial after my fantastic experience with the 9xx series) but there is only one 8pin power connector, which doesn't matter if you don't overclock yourself, but I was constantly power limited and decided to return it.

5. Palit 1070 gamerock

A very heavy and big card. But it is actually a very good overclocker and fairly cheap.

nkarafo

Never used HWmonitor to be honest. But this sounds very, very weird. Which Gigabyte 1060 are you using exactly?
Also try deinstalling it HWmonitor, just in case (don't forget to reboot).
You can use GPU-Z (or something else) to monitor your gpu.
I restarted the PC and now it got fixed.

But now i'm scared to even run a game lol... The card is fine. But i'm worried a bit.... could this really damage the card if it reached 97c for one minute? And if not, did i severely limit it's lifespan or even it's performance from now on?

Also, i'm not happy with the idle temps. The fans won't start kicking until it goes beyond 60c and at idle, it sits at 45-50c. This is way higher than the 960 which had idle temps at 35 and the fans would kick earlier. Is there a way to change this?

Xiofire

Also, i'm not happy with the idle temps. The fans won't start kicking until it goes beyound 60c and at idle, it sits at 50c. This is way higher than the 960 which had idle temps at 35 and the fans would kick earlier. Is there a way to change this?

If I'm reading this correctly, this is by design. Most GPU's these days don't spin up their fans until they hit 60 degrees, it allows for silent operation in less demanding titles like LoL or while on the deskop/internet.

You can use a custom fan profile using MSI Afterburner or similar software to get around this.

Here's the first vid I could find to set this up to give you the jist of how to go about it.

ISee

what do you mean by upper third? 76C is only what it does in Prime95. during games it usually sits anywhere between 50-70 depending on the game and what is happening. video work it can go to about 73C. i'm quite happy with the temperatures.

i guess i'm just a bit disappointed because i keep seeing people with higher overclocks and less voltage. 4.5 is only 0.3 over the turbo boost speeds. i'm not sure if it's worth trying for 4.6 or 4.7. i could do 4.4 at 1.3V so i imagine going up to 4.6 would put me close to 1.4V

There are of course very, very good chips out there. But your chip isn't bad either and you have to keep a couple of things in mind when reading about amazing overclcoks.
1.) Most people don't do extensive tests.
2.) Most people with 'bad' chips don't report their numbers on forums (because they probably don't care), while people with 'good' chips tend to post their numbers.
3.) Some people like to sugarcoat.

Also take a look at this:
(stolen from overclock.net... I hope they don't mind)

y-Axis=voltage / x-Axis=clock speed/ sample size:142 said:

Look at how many people need to go above 1.4v to hit 4.6 or 4.7ghz.
4.5ghz @ 1.34v is quite good I'm sure you could reach 4.7ghz under 1.4v. Also 300mhz is an increase of 7%. That's not nothing.

Also, i'm not happy with the idle temps. The fans won't start kicking until it goes beyond 60c and at idle, it sits at 45-50c. This is way higher than the 960 which had idle temps at 35 and the fans would kick earlier. Is there a way to change this?

If I'm reading this correctly, this is by design. Most GPU's these days don't spin up their fans until they hit 60 degrees...

/this

Seriously, 60°C is nothing. Relax.

This is more of a support question but my friend has been having problems with his PC lately. Every time he plays certain games (like Shadow Warrior 2) it crashes his entire system showing a screen like this, his GPU is an AMD 280X.

At first we tried DDU, monitored temps at the time of the crash (peaked at 68°C which should be totally normal) and when that didn't work did a full system format/re-install Windows and the problem still persist. At this point I'm pretty much %99 sure it's a hardware GPU problem but I wanna make sure before letting him buy a new one that it can not be an issue with the MOBO or faulty RAM since those would be cheaper to replace.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Currently I've decided to run an avx offset with my 7700k. Prime95 26.6 (non-avx) has been running for 8 hours so far with a max of 83C @ 4.8ghz 1.264v and when that passes for 24 hours I'm going to run prime95 28.10 (avx, avx2, fma3) but with an avx offset of -400mhz to (hopefully) control temps.

I haven't finished stress testing but I won't do anything aside from Realbench. Hardocp also just uses x264 based testing for stability these days.

At the end of the day I guess it's up to everyone to figure out what stable means to them. I'm just going to be gaming for the most part so I am not too concerned. I plan to de-lid/re-lid before I push any further b/c my chip doesn't seem as good as yours. I was hitting higher temps and using more Vcore, but I was also testing 5.0 with RAM at 3600. I never had any issues at 4.8, but again, not doing Prime.

What kind of temps have you been getting with your 7700k and NH-D14?

i have that 1070 and love it. idles at roughly 33-35C and never goes over 70C while overclocked. fans usually go to about 50-60% when they turn on but this is still very quiet. <70% is ideal. after that it would be quite distracting. 85% and above is loud. i highly recommend it.

My opinion:

2. MSI 1070 gaming z and MSI 1070 gaming x

Overall very good cards. I bought the 1070 x myself. The card is very silent, even if you increase the fan curve. 1x6 pin and 1x 8pin power connector which are enough for further manual overclocking, I'm able to hold 65°C @ 2040mhz with a slithly adjustet fan curve (still silent). But watch out the card is wider than normal cards.

Thanks for the responses guys, very helpful and reassuring :) the only thing that gives me pause is the width, just a little. My current card is only around 30mm in width, and I think the card in question is 42mm. I've did the measurement myself though, and my case definitely looks like it can do it , but pretty much at a maximum. I reckon 45mm is the whole space to work with. I did see a good few builds online with the same case though where they fit the card in fine, and pc parts picker also gives it a thumbs up as compatible with the case. I think I can make it work and otherwise it sounds like a really good fit. If there is noise, it comes right through the node 304 and it lives on the desk beside me so the quieter the better. I'm not well versed with overclocking but it's nice as an option!

(cut down your quote ISee for the sake of not having a big wall of text in the quote box, but I did read the whole thing and I may look into the strix too)

There are of course very, very good chips out there. But your chip isn't bad either and you have to keep a couple of things in mind when reading about amazing overclcoks.
1.) Most people don't do extensive tests.
2.) Most people with 'bad' chips don't report their numbers on forums (because they probably don't care), while people with 'good' chips tend to post their numbers.
3.) Some people like to sugarcoat.

Also take a look at this:
(stolen from overclock.net... I hope they don't mind)

Look at how many people need to go above 1.4v to hit 4.6 or 4.7ghz.
4.5ghz @ 1.34v is quite good I'm sure you could reach 4.7ghz under 1.4v. Also 300mhz is an increase of 7%. That's not nothing.

thanks! feel a bit happy with it now lol. do you think I should try get a higher overclock? i mean is it safe to run at 1.4V and would it add a significant amount of heat? like i said during normal usage it usually doesn't go over 70C and absolute highest is 83C during stress tests. is it worth it for an additional 100-200mhz?

li bur

After reading here and there about itx pc, here's what I came up with for my living room PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H110I Pro Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $694.25

I wanna use Z170, unfortunately those itx mobo's are priced $240++ in my country. So what do you guys think about this build? Would I be ok for some time? Does using high speed memory really make such a big difference for gaming?

LilJoka

thanks! feel a bit happy with it now lol. do you think I should try get a higher overclock? i mean is it safe to run at 1.4V and would it add a significant amount of heat? like i said during normal usage it usually doesn't go over 70C and absolute highest is 83C during stress tests. is it worth it for an additional 100-200mhz?

Try it and see.
1.45v is the max for skylake.
Skylake and Kabylake can overclock a lot better when running 60c vs 80c under load.

ISee

I reckon 45mm is the whole space to work with.

Pls keep in mind, you'll have to plug in two power cables into the card. So in the end you'll need more width than just 42 mm and just an extra 3mm could be a problem.

I'm just doing it because I feel like it, for the sake of overclocking, because it's fun and to know what the limits are (for my build). So if you want to try it out, sure go for it! But let's be honest here there is really no need to overclock a 6700k because there is no game your i7 isn't able to handle just fine. I'd even say you could safely downclock your cpu to 3.8 ghz and still have no problem.

Performance wise all z170 boards are the same. Some Gigabyte boards had a bit high auto voltage, but apparently the newest firmware fixed that (but maybe it was just z270 related). So if you like the design and the board has all the connectivity you'll need in the future go for it, the price is definitely good.

For the first time ever. I have a 1080p monitor on my desk. Pretty niiice.

New resolution and monitor. Better than opening a new book for the first time :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I really want to see reviews for the Omen X 35 monitor. I need to how the VA Panel is.

My current monitor is a Dell UltraSharp U3415W. This would be my first G-Sync and higher than 60hz monitor.

Weevilone

Currently I've decided to run an avx offset with my 7700k. Prime95 26.6 (non-avx) has been running for 8 hours so far with a max of 83C @ 4.8ghz 1.264v and when that passes for 24 hours I'm going to run prime95 28.10 (avx, avx2, fma3) but with an avx offset of -400mhz to (hopefully) control temps.

What kind of temps have you been getting with your 7700k and NH-D14?

At 5GHz, 3600 RAM I'll hit 97C in Realbench stress. Vcore is 1.379 actual.

...But let's be honest here there is really no need to overclock a 6700k because there is no game your i7 isn't able to handle just fine. I'd even say you could safely downclock your cpu to 3.8 ghz and still have no problem.

...Performance wise all z170 boards are the same. Some Gigabyte boards had a bit high auto voltage, but apparently the newest firmware fixed that (but maybe it was just z270 related). So if you like the design and the board has all the connectivity you'll need in the future go for it, the price is definitely good.

Neither of these are true. There's plenty of framerate/frametime comparisons available demonstrating the advantages of overclocking, especially at higher framerates. And at those higher frequencies some boards take more voltage to achieve a given clock speed while some boards cannot achieve stability at all at the upper limit's of a chip's potential.

Jarmel

Banned
I have a 1600p monitor. Does it currently make sense to get a GTX 1080 or should I wait or get something else like the 1070?

Arex

Thanks for the responses guys, very helpful and reassuring :) the only thing that gives me pause is the width, just a little. My current card is only around 30mm in width, and I think the card in question is 42mm. I've did the measurement myself though, and my case definitely looks like it can do it , but pretty much at a maximum. I reckon 45mm is the whole space to work with. I did see a good few builds online with the same case though where they fit the card in fine, and pc parts picker also gives it a thumbs up as compatible with the case. I think I can make it work and otherwise it sounds like a really good fit. If there is noise, it comes right through the node 304 and it lives on the desk beside me so the quieter the better. I'm not well versed with overclocking but it's nice as an option!

(cut down your quote ISee for the sake of not having a big wall of text in the quote box, but I did read the whole thing and I may look into the strix too)

what about the mini 1070s or AIO 1070s like the msi Seahawk X or EVGA Hybrid? I suppose the price is a cons, and the tubes might not fit in the 304. I'm also looking out for small form 1070s for my future itx build. :d

Need a little help with an overheating cpu error. (7700k.asus maximus ix code.corsair h110i cooler)

On Sunday, I replaced my old cpu/motherboard/ram (2500k) with the new cpu/mobo/m.2. Everything else in the system was re-used. Never had a heat problem.

Fast forward form Sunday to Yesterday, over which time a played about 2 hours of the Witcher 3. Got home from work and restarted pc to get to bios to fix a different issue and the comp stayed on once windows closed, but did not restart, forcing a me to power down manually.

When the computer restarted, the fans on the cooler began to spin up faster/louder than I remember having experienced before. Restarted again. This time a message at the bottom of the post screen said "CPU Overheat Error".

Went into Bios and the CPU temp read ~70c (saw over 85 at one point), instead of the ~35c I am used to.

I have installed the newest bios, which did not help, and reseated/pasted cpu/cooler.

That's where it sits now. I was able to turn it back on and get into windows, but decided to shut it down to let the paste settle<?>.

Is there anything else I can do atm? I've seen online that its possible the pump may have died, but how do I go about checking that? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

System:
i7 7700k
Asus Maximux IX Code MB
Corsair H110i CPU Cooler
16 gb DDR4 4000
2xgtx 980 4gb SLI
Corsair 1,000 watt psu
Fractal Design Define XL R2 Case

ISee

Neither of these are true. There's plenty of framerate/frametime comparisons available demonstrating the advantages of overclocking, especially at higher framerates. And at those higher frequencies some boards take more voltage to achieve a given clock speed while some boards cannot achieve stability at all at the upper limit's of a chip's potential.

Are we talking 100+ fps? Sure. If that's important to you overclock your cpu to whatever you need. For most people on skylake i7s, it's not really needed though. Could you also please give me a link to the comparisons demonstrating improved frametimes on a 6700k at 4.2ghz (standard boost) vs 4.5/4.6/4.7ghz?

For the second part, true. Boards can influence overclockability, but I was talking about raw performance (you know, two differents things). At the same cloak, with the same processor and same ram different z170 will give you similar and comparable performance. This wasn't always the case. So I stand by my statement, most people just need to decide if the like the price, the look and the connectivity/features of a board, because performance wise it is same.

Thraktor

I think it's worth posting the supposed Ryzen price leak here. The prices are apparently from a Spanish retailer, and they cover the 8-core models (which AMD are grouping under the R7 name). There are three models, supposedly priced as follows:

Ryzen R7 1800X - 8C/16T - 95W TDP - 4.0GHz boost - €599.99
Ryzen R7 1700X - 8C/16T - 95W TDP - 3.8GHz boost - €469.99
Ryzen R7 1700 - 8C/16T - 65W TDP - 3.7GHz boost - €389.95

All three are reportedly unlocked (i.e. overclockable). US pricing would probably be pretty much a $1=€1 translation, given current European pricing trends versus US on PC components.

AMD reportedly also have 6C/12T, 4C/8T and 4C/4T models all coming as well, so you may be able to guess pricing on them based on the 8C/16T prices above.

I think it's officially "wait for Ryzen" time for new PC builds. There's every chance they just don't hold up in gaming scenarios, but if they do then they have the potential to be extremely good value, so there's really no reason not to hold off until benchmarks hit.

Bloodember

This is more of a support question but my friend has been having problems with his PC lately. Every time he plays certain games (like Shadow Warrior 2) it crashes his entire system showing a screen like this, his GPU is an AMD 280X.

At first we tried DDU, monitored temps at the time of the crash (peaked at 68°C which should be totally normal) and when that didn't work did a full system format/re-install Windows and the problem still persist. At this point I'm pretty much %99 sure it's a hardware GPU problem but I wanna make sure before letting him buy a new one that it can not be an issue with the MOBO or faulty RAM since those would be cheaper to replace.

It could be the GPU or your power supply. Does it do this any other time or just with this one game? For the RAM use memtest to make sure its not the RAM.

Need a little help with an overheating cpu error. (7700k.asus maximus ix code.corsair h110i cooler)

On Sunday, I replaced my old cpu/motherboard/ram (2500k) with the new cpu/mobo/m.2. Everything else in the system was re-used. Never had a heat problem.

Fast forward form Sunday to Yesterday, over which time a played about 2 hours of the Witcher 3. Got home from work and restarted pc to get to bios to fix a different issue and the comp stayed on once windows closed, but did not restart, forcing a me to power down manually.

When the computer restarted, the fans on the cooler began to spin up faster/louder than I remember having experienced before. Restarted again. This time a message at the bottom of the post screen said "CPU Overheat Error".

Went into Bios and the CPU temp read ~70c (saw over 85 at one point), instead of the ~35c I am used to.

I have installed the newest bios, which did not help, and reseated/pasted cpu/cooler.

That's where it sits now. I was able to turn it back on and get into windows, but decided to shut it down to let the paste settle<?>.

Is there anything else I can do atm? I've seen online that its possible the pump may have died, but how do I go about checking that? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

System:
i7 7700k
Asus Maximux IX Code MB
Corsair H110i CPU Cooler
16 gb DDR4 4000
2xgtx 980 4gb SLI
Corsair 1,000 watt psu
Fractal Design Define XL R2 Case

You can feel the pump running if you put your hand on the top of the cpu or even hold the hoses, you can feel the liquid flowing through them. Also make sure it didn't disconnect from the power source.

It could be the GPU or your power supply. Does it do this any other time or just with this one game? For the RAM use memtest to make sure its not the RAM.

Does it in Aragami too I think and sometimes when idling in Overwatch main menu but never in an actual game, games like dota 2, Smite and CS GO are fine.

He did have his PSU blow up couple years ago when plugging it in the wrong socket and had to change it to some 900W monster.

Bloodember

Does it in Aragami too I think and sometimes when idling in Overwatch main menu but never in an actual game, games like dota 2, Smite and CS GO are fine.

He did have his PSU blow up couple years ago when plugging it in the wrong socket and had to change it to some 900W monster.

It's possible it's the power supply. Does he have it plugged into a surge protector? What's the brand name of the PSU? How old is it?

ISee

I think it's worth posting the supposed Ryzen price leak here. The prices are apparently from a Spanish retailer, and they cover the 8-core models (which AMD are grouping under the R7 name). There are three models, supposedly priced as follows:

Ryzen R7 1800X - 8C/16T - 95W TDP - 4.0GHz boost - €599.99
Ryzen R7 1700X - 8C/16T - 95W TDP - 3.8GHz boost - €469.99
Ryzen R7 1700 - 8C/16T - 65W TDP - 3.7GHz boost - €389.95

All three are reportedly unlocked (i.e. overclockable). US pricing would probably be pretty much a $1=€1 translation, given current European pricing trends versus US on PC components.

AMD reportedly also have 6C/12T, 4C/8T and 4C/4T models all coming as well, so you may be able to guess pricing on them based on the 8C/16T prices above.

I think it's officially "wait for Ryzen" time for new PC builds. There's every chance they just don't hold up in gaming scenarios, but if they do then they have the potential to be extremely good value, so there's really no reason not to hold off until benchmarks hit.

Yes it is, thx for the info. The 8c/16t variants are about 50-100€ more expansive than I expected. Overclockability will be a very important factor here. Exciting CPU times, great!

Pls keep in mind, you'll have to plug in two power cables into the card. So in the end you'll need more width than just 42 mm and just an extra 3mm could be a problem.

I thiiiiink this part is okay. The current card I have in the case uses an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector and it's actually a tad longer than the MSI card I'm looking at. Given I have plenty of height room too, it was really just the concern of the card being wider and clashing with the side of the case. I'll definitely keep it in mind. This build I found online with the case (which doesn't seem to have been modified at all) appears to fit in, and the layout there is extremely similar to mine. The card will be pretty snug with a centimeter less space between the card and the casing, but it is the intake filter mesh right there on the casing.

Seems alright!

what about the mini 1070s or AIO 1070s like the msi Seahawk X or EVGA Hybrid? I suppose the price is a cons, and the tubes might not fit in the 304. I'm also looking out for small form 1070s for my future itx build. :d

I had actually looked at the gigabyte mini 1070! I'm not 100% oppose to that but given I've ran with a full sized card the last three years in this case and the reviews pointed out the noise being quite good on it, I would like to fit it in if possible. The gigabyte would easily go in there with a lot more airflow room, but I think the card runs hotter and louder in general, so it's all trade offs. This is all just going off of collated reviews though and not first hand experience. The small form is actually really nice. I had this build in my front room for some time and it was nice to have a small sleek looking box instead of a big tower, but it does make it harder to get in around inside the case, and it's harder to apply certain things from reviews etc to this case (not sure if you're saying it would be your first ITX build? If not, disgard that haha I'm sure you know what you like about it if you have one).

sleepnaught

Anyone else still running with an i7 920 or thereabouts? I'm considering finally upgrading, but curious to hear how other folks are getting by using this cpu. Anyone recently upgraded to Skylake or Kabylake from this?

I haven't had much trouble running newer games, but my CPU is at 83c+ when it's under intense load. I can't help but think it's only a matter of time before it burns out

Jarnet87

Anyone else still running with an i7 920 or thereabouts? I'm considering finally upgrading, but curious to hear how other folks are getting by using this cpu. Anyone recently upgraded to Skylake or Kabylake from this?

I haven't had much trouble running newer games, but my CPU is at 83c+ when it's under intense load. I can't help but think it's only a matter of time before it burns out

My computer has the i7-860, just waiting for my system to die before buIlding a new one. don't really play anything that graphic intensive though. It played WoW: Legion pretty well, probably the newest big release that I bought on PC.

Raylan

Banned
CPU:
Intel Core i5-7600K, 4x 3.80GHz

Board:
MSI Z270 Gaming M3 Intel Z270 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR ATX

RAM:
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2400, CL16-16-16 (&#8364;100)

GPU:
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (6GB)

HDD:
Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM006 64MB 3.5" 2TB (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

SSD:
Samsung MZ-75E250B/EU 850 EVO

Optical Drive:
Random SATA Drive

Case:
Fractal Design R5

Power-Supply:
be quiet! Pure Power 9 600W CM 80+

Heat Sink (CPU):
EKL Alpenföhn Brocken ECO

Final build

Soooooooo, it's done. This (see above) is my final build.

It's running now and it's super quiet :D
Tried The Witcher 2 in 4K on my 80" 4K TV and it looks damn good. PC is super silent while The Witcher 2 is running. Very nice :) I'm gonna upgrade my graphics card in a year again. Guess I can keep the rest (CPU, RAM, etc) as it is in one year.
Well, can't wait to play only ~5 PC games in the next 12 months :p)

Thanks for the support&help, PC-GAF.

Soooooooo, it's done. This (see above) is my final build.

It's running now and it's super quiet :D
Tried The Witcher 2 in 4K on my 80" 4K TV and it looks damn good. PC is super silent while The Witcher 2 is running. Very nice :) I'm gonna upgrade my graphics card in a year again. Guess I can keep the rest (CPU, RAM, etc) as it is in one year.
Well, can't wait to play only ~5 PC games in the next 12 months :p)

Looks great dude, no pic? :) If I had the money to do a full new build right now, it would be in that case and very similar! Don't know much about be quiet PSUs but yea, brilliant. Would hope you can keep the cpu, ram and mobo for the next few years!

Used xeon x5650 or x5670 if your mobo supports it, then wait it out to see if rysen makes intel get srs.

Raylan

Banned
Looks great dude, no pic? :) If I had the money to do a full new build right now, it would be in that case and very similar! Don't know much about be quiet PSUs but yea, brilliant. Would hope you can keep the cpu, ram and mobo for the next few years!
I was too lazy to bundle-up all the cables. So it wouldn't look good right now :p Have to do that tomorrow.

And DAYUM, for the first time ever, building my new rig scared the shit out of me. The "MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X" is a weird graphics card. Super-fast, unbelievably silent, but the 8pin power connector confused me.
You know what sucks? When your rig is finished and ready, but the Windows 10 disc+product key is still missing (delayed shipment). Fucking hell. So I installed Windows 10, activated it and..... there was no sound. My PC is connected with my AVR-Receiver through HDMI. So the sound&video all goes through HDMI. Tried to install the newest nVIDIA driver and..... nothing. All I got, while trying to install the nVIDIA driver, was a "nVIDIA setup assistant can't detect your current OS/Windows build" message. Which means: No NVIDIA driver = No sound (through HDMI). I seriously thought I fucked up my graphics card :p

Solution after 6 hours of "research", cursing and shitting in my pants:
I had to update Windows 10. ALL updates that are available! The nVIDIA driver did not detect the current (old) Windows 10 build which was on the original disc. After all updates -> No problem at all.
The damn thing runs like a charm now :D Fucking Windows updates.... -_-

edit.
And WTF? I will get a FOR HONOR key for free because I bought the MSI Z270 motherboard. But I won't get anything for the expensive as shit graphics card? FU MSI -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom