• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Flipped my RX480 for a decent profit due to the mining boom. I'm looking to future-proof my rig a little bit, upgrade my monitor for some Free/G-Sync action and minimum 2K screen. The 8Gb 480 was giving me decent frames @1080p but never a consistent 60 for say, Witcher 3. So I guess I want some more power if I'm going higher res soon.

If I was to go down the 1080 Ti route, how does this card fare:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1330062-REG/evga_11g_p4_6393_kr_geforce_gtx_1080_ti.html

Seems reasonably priced as far as those cards go, I haven't really seen others south of the $900 bracket.

The same card is in the mail to me now. After looking at quite a few, that one seemed like a great choice for being on the lower end of the 1080 Ti price range.

kennah

I bit on the Dell deal.

About $1290 with tax. Used $100 off coupon and also got 2% corp discount.

Ryzen 1700x
8 gb ram
6GB GTX 1060
256 GB SSD
1 TB HD
DVD
Win 10

Bluetooth, wifi and all that jazz..

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-5...tsb_s4e&model_id=inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop

Pc Part picker was about $200 more to build it my self.

Did you get the same one from Dell?
That’s a hell of a deal. Showing 1400 plus tax now :( was tempted to replace my 3770k and 780 with that.

Jeff6851

Hi.

Current Specs: Weak laptop. No desktop.
Budget: $1000-1200, Canada
Main Use: Light Gaming (5), Gaming (5), General Usage (5), Emulation (4), Video Editing (2), Streaming games in HD (1), 3D/Model work (and what program) (1)
Monitor Resolution: 1080p to start (own a Samsung LS24D590PL), but will be upgrading within a couple years
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 30FPS acceptable but strong preference for running AAA games at 1080/60. 4K can wait until I upgrade components
Looking to reuse any parts?: I already own a SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SATA III SDD that I'd like to use in the build
When will you build?: Within the next month or two
Will you be overclocking?: Without knowing much about it... probably not if it will cost me more in parts

I'm hoping to keep this simple. I may actually just have NCIX literally build the 'build' since it would save me a lot of time (of course, at the expense of $$).

Dream build would probably be Ryzen 7 with GTX 1070 but then I'm probably looking at $1500 CDN...? So maybe I should set my sights lower 🤔

https://choosemypc.net/ca/?budget=1200&oc=true&options=

For $1300 you can get a GPU with 4GB of VRAM (pretty much the minimum you should have if you want to run anything AAA at 1080p/60 these days) and for $1400 you can get one with 8 GB (though I'd use that money to go up to 16 GB of RAM)

Can anyone recommend a good wifi adapter? Looking for one that can handle at least 160 Mbps, Wireless A/C, and 5 GHz frequencies. Mine seems to be on the fritz - it's about 6 years old and just randomly cuts out from time-to-time, especially under periods of heavy uploading. Tested my wired ethernet connection and I have zero issues. Tested the wifi adapter on two PCs and the same problem occurs. Tested another wifi adapter (from my wife's PC) and have no issues with it. So, I conclude my wifi adapter is dying.

Any advice for a new one to buy?

kuYuri

Can anyone recommend a good wifi adapter? Looking for one that can handle at least 160 Mbps, Wireless A/C, and 5 GHz frequencies. Mine seems to be on the fritz - it's about 6 years old and just randomly cuts out from time-to-time, especially under periods of heavy uploading. Tested my wired ethernet connection and I have zero issues. Tested the wifi adapter on two PCs and the same problem occurs. Tested another wifi adapter (from my wife's PC) and have no issues with it. So, I conclude my wifi adapter is dying.

Any advice for a new one to buy?

TP-Link makes solid adapters for the price. I have this one that I purchased on sale: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704237

They have them across a variety of speeds, so just search for the one you think is appropriate.

Jafku

Hi.

Current Specs: Weak laptop. No desktop.
Budget: $1000-1200, Canada
Main Use: Light Gaming (5), Gaming (5), General Usage (5), Emulation (4), Video Editing (2), Streaming games in HD (1), 3D/Model work (and what program) (1)
Monitor Resolution: 1080p to start (own a Samsung LS24D590PL), but will be upgrading within a couple years
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 30FPS acceptable but strong preference for running AAA games at 1080/60. 4K can wait until I upgrade components
Looking to reuse any parts?: I already own a SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SATA III SDD that I'd like to use in the build
When will you build?: Within the next month or two
Will you be overclocking?: Without knowing much about it... probably not if it will cost me more in parts

I'm hoping to keep this simple. I may actually just have NCIX literally build the 'build' since it would save me a lot of time (of course, at the expense of $$).

Dream build would probably be Ryzen 7 with GTX 1070 but then I'm probably looking at $1500 CDN...? So maybe I should set my sights lower 🤔

If you do get to a $1500 budget I got a build for you
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3tHV8K

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I bit the bullet on a Corsair One Pro w/ 1080GTX... should arrive tomorrow.

Also picked up:
A 1440p 144hz dell monitor with G-sync
a 1080p 60hz monitor for a secondary display
my first ever mechanical keyboard (cherry brown switches)
Dual Shock 4 controller for bluetooth goodness
Bose Revolve+ as a decent desk speaker system.

I've never had a proper gaming rig before... I'm so fucking excited. Also my wallet hurts.

Bread

Banned
Oh man going from 480 to 1080 is such a difference. The Witcher in 1440p on ultra is just craziness, I've never seen anything like it. Any other games I should check out that showcase graphics?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Oh man going from 480 to 1080 is such a difference. The Witcher in 1440p on ultra is just craziness, I've never seen anything like it. Any other games I should check out that showcase graphics?

I see Rise of the Tomb Raider in like every benchmark video. Maybe that? I haven't played it myself.

MGSV, GTAV and The Division are also decent picks.

sleepnaught

Are we still expecting Coffee Lake next month? Last rumor I read mentioned a launch with z370 chipset and the z390 chipset in Q1 2018. The leaked clockrate puts it at 3.5ghz - 4.0gh, turbo, would it make sense to keep waiting for Coffee Lake if it clocks lower than Kaby Lake?

Starting to worry something is wrong with my CPU cooling. Case is relatively cool, but when I run Prime95 on my Ryzen 1700 in the Small FTT mode the CPU gets to about 92-93C. That's at 1.285 volts and a 3.7 GHz OC. CPU idles at about 50C. This is based on AMD's Ryzen Master software temp reading. Using the stock Wraith Cooler in standard fan curves.

HWInfo says the CPU hits about 102C in the Prime95 test. Not sure if I trust that or the AMD software.

Maybe I need to reseat the CPU cooler with a fresh application of thermal paste?

So what's the best bang-for-the-buck Socket 1151 CPU right now? I have an 1151 motherboard that was given to me, and need to buy a CPU for it. (The BIOS on it supports Skylake and Kaby Lake)

Tonezorz

Found a barely used with the box EVGA 1060 FTW+ (Only 3GB version) for only $120.

Would you guys jump on that? Upgrading from a 760.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
So what's the best bang-for-the-buck Socket 1151 CPU right now? I have an 1151 motherboard that was given to me, and need to buy a CPU for it. (The BIOS on it supports Skylake and Kaby Lake)

7700K is generally considered the best at the moment since it's newer but if you can find a 6700K for cheaper then get that.

they are pretty much identical though. a 6700K running at 4.5GHz performs same as a 7700K at 4.5GHz (same IPC). the 7700K can possibly hit 5.0Ghz when overclocked but it seems people are reporting they run quite hot and have decided to delid them. A 7700K has higher stock speeds (4.2/4.5 vs 4.0/4.2), has improved performance in 3d/4k playback, support for newer video standards and intel optane memory. also running older OS versions than windows 10 isn't supported on kabylake.

LQX

Found a barely used with the box EVGA 1060 FTW+ (Only 3GB version) for only $120.

Would you guys jump on that? Upgrading from a 760.

No, let someone else buy it and sell it for twice that price on EBay. Of course you should jump on it.

ocean

Banned
I have an i7 3770, 8GB RAM and a 1060. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Ryzen 5 1600. Is it worth the price of an upgrade?
Probably not. If it were just the CPU investment then maybe.

A 1600 is faster, but you'd be looking at a minimum at a CPU+Mobo+DDR4 upgrade and the benefit is unlikely to make up for the investment.

If you're in satisfied with gaming performance a GPU upgrade would likely make more sense, or an SSD boot drive if you don't have one yet.

Are we still expecting Coffee Lake next month? Last rumor I read mentioned a launch with z370 chipset and the z390 chipset in Q1 2018. The leaked clockrate puts it at 3.5ghz - 4.0gh, turbo, would it make sense to keep waiting for Coffee Lake if it clocks lower than Kaby Lake?

Coffee lake desktop will not release next month. No chance. Earliest would be nov imo. But im expecting dec-jan.

kuYuri

if not interested in overclocking then yeah but if the motherboard supports it and you want to get as much life out of it then should go for a 6700/7700K.

It would be nice if they were more specific about which motherboard they got. Still, those CPUs are no slouch at all and they are pretty good bang for the buck for gaming. An overclockable one is only that much better.

element

Damn mining! GFX card prices and availability are stupid right now. 1060 and 1070 at the same price. No AMD cards in-stock anyplace.

Apt101

I decided not to go the laptop with eGPU route and instead just beef up my desktop. i7-4790 and a GTX 970.

My Evo HD 850 1TB SSD arrives tomorrow - I had a $75 Amazon gift card left over from my birthday. So after work I'll be using the Samsung migration tool to move everything over.

Next week I plan on picking out a 1440p monitor, still trying to decide if I want 27" or 32" (scanning this thread for ideas).

And then finally, shortly before Destiny 2 launches for PC, I intend on getting the smallest-sized GTX 1070 or 1080 I can find for less than $500. I may end up getting a 1070 much sooner though, because it looks like prices keep climbing. Though I may just not be looking hard enough.

I guess I should remove the heat sink, clean the thermal paste off, and reapply? Seems like the easiest first test.

After removing the heatsink, cleaning off the thermal paste, removing my PSU so I could hold the backplate in, applying fresh thermal paste, and reattaching the heatsink, I was still seeing high idle temps (45C), although that's still a bit better Jan before by 3-5C idle.

So I was concerned still. Turns out, I misread the fan curve settings in the BIOS and basically had them running at low speeds even near high temps. I won't have time to really test it tonight but I flipped the fan curve and in the few minutes I've had it sit at idle, temps are in the upper 30s and actually dropping a bit (they'd been sitting higher than even 60C while I was fiddling with the fan curves. Seems promising so far.

I decided not to go the laptop with eGPU route and instead just beef up my desktop. i7-4790 and a GTX 970.

My Evo HD 850 1TB SSD arrives tomorrow - I had a $75 Amazon gift card left over from my birthday. So after work I'll be using the Samsung migration tool to move everything over.

Next week I plan on picking out a 1440p monitor, still trying to decide if I want 27" or 32" (scanning this thread for ideas).

And then finally, shortly before Destiny 2 launches for PC, I intend on getting the smallest-sized GTX 1070 or 1080 I can find for less than $500. I may end up getting a 1070 much sooner though, because it looks like prices keep climbing. Though I may just not be looking hard enough.

If it's a 1440p I'd go 32".

And I'd hold out for a 1080 if you're waiting as long as D2.

Socreges

Banned
https://choosemypc.net/ca/?budget=1200&oc=true&options=

For $1300 you can get a GPU with 4GB of VRAM (pretty much the minimum you should have if you want to run anything AAA at 1080p/60 these days) and for $1400 you can get one with 8 GB (though I'd use that money to go up to 16 GB of RAM)
Thanks!

If you do get to a $1500 budget I got a build for you
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3tHV8K
Now you've got me justifying the price difference.... and honestly I'm more likely to just spend the extra few hundred bucks.

Also: If you're in Canada, you can always price match via Mike's Computer Shop, since they may beat the prices listed on PC Part Picker, thus you could stretch your budget a bit further to get better components or save yourself a sizable amount of money.
Will try this, thanks.

Use coupon code for another $100 off.

$100OFF$1300PC

The PC is regular $1800.
Would Dell be using lower quality components, though? In other words, is the value really there?

Just watched a really good video on the basics of putting together a water cooling system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR9jEczwCZ4

A basic water build with soft tubing is a lot easier than most people think. Given that you can get main components like CPU blocks for as low as 70 bucks it's also not as expensive as people believe. More expensive than air/hybrid obviously but can be done quite affordably. Leaking is fairly easy to avoid with soft tubes. Also you don't need to be going for 4K and a million Ghz and care about benchmarks to use it. Ultimately it's a great way to have a barely-audible system with lower temps; better performance, stability and max potential under OC. For many it's not worth it but I think it'd be worth it for more people if they realized how doable it is at a reasonable cost.

I think anyone who has built a few air/hybrid machines should take a stab at a water rig.

Woohoo, case arrived today, rushed home from work and moved the internals from my old case to the new one! And this time I did cable management! IT LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER THAN MY OLD CASE!

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/g6HNBs5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/uxEyb2X.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NQwCCLf.jpg[/IMG]

Sadly my 390 basically blocks the RBG header so my CPU cooler can't join the rave. I'll get around to making that fit eventually, just glad everything works.

Would Dell be using lower quality components, though? In other words, is the value really there?

Quality of the components is fine, if not better than average. Dell puts a lot of work into making sure their systems don't fail within the warranty period.

What you usually lose buying pre-built is not quality, but flexibility. Anything that wasn't required to be on the motherboard/power supply/case is probably taken out. It's "cost optimized".

Basically, if you don't want to mess with your PC at all after the initial build (or fiddle much with overclocking) there is little downside to a pre-built.

Of course, if you like fiddling with PC hardware, buying a pre-built is not a good idea.

zedge

Thanks!

Now you've got me justifying the price difference.... and honestly I'm more likely to just spend the extra few hundred bucks.

Will try this, thanks.

I mean its probably not as good as buying custom parts but from my experience with Dell and hearing from others is that the parts are decent quality. Apparently they even use some custom cooler on the 1700x as it doesn't come with one. According to a Dell rep its equipped with one of these: http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/amd/wraith-max-and-wraith-spire-cooler/1 They also offer a liquid cooled option for $100 more, I didn't bother though.

The warranty they provide is decent too, with other options of course.

Details on the motherboard (from redflag deals)

Interesting find that tell us more infos about the hardware...

First I found the motherboard model name here : http://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/compare/2964010?baseline=2964010 so its the Dell Inc. 07PR60

with that we find this : http://valid.x86.fr/qfe2rv

Check out the red flag deals thread.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/dell...amd-1700x-gtx-1060-6gb-1320-w-coupon-2110177/

It appears Dell has upped it by $50 now though. Must be selling too many. Still less than building your own. I may end up getting another stick of ram to make it 16GB at some point. It has 8 with an empty slot sill from what they have found. Dell wants $150 to upgrade it to 16GB, this would be cheaper to do on your own later on.

Socreges

Banned
So I'm working with this build that Jafku suggested, but I just discovered that the case has inputs on the top which wouldn't work for where I'd place it. Any suggestions on an alternative? I scanned through part picker and didn't really know what to look for when it comes to cases (or much else)

I mean its probably not as good as buying custom parts but from my experience with Dell and hearing from others is that the parts are decent quality. Apparently they even use some custom cooler on the 1700x as it doesn't come with one. According to a Dell rep its equipped with one of these: http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/amd/wraith-max-and-wraith-spire-cooler/1 They also offer a liquid cooled option for $100 more, I didn't bother though.

The warranty they provide is decent too, with other options of course.

Details on the motherboard (from redflag deals)

Check out the red flag deals thread.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/dell...amd-1700x-gtx-1060-6gb-1320-w-coupon-2110177/

It appears Dell has upped it by $50 now though. Must be selling too many. Still less than building your own. I may end up getting another stick of ram to make it 16GB at some point. It has 8 with an empty slot sill from what they have found. Dell wants $150 to upgrade it to 16GB, this would be cheaper to do on your own later on.
Thanks. The savings aren't really there anymore compared to custom builds, at least from what I can tell. But I might end up doing it anyway if I'm feeling less adventurous...

Jezbollah

So I'm working with this build that Jafku suggested, but I just discovered that the case has inputs on the top which wouldn't work for where I'd place it. Any suggestions on an alternative? I scanned through part picker and didn't really know what to look for when it comes to cases (or much else)

If you're talking about the front IO every motherboard has a dedicated socket for that - check the instructions.

If you're talking about the front IO every motherboard has a dedicated socket for that - check the instructions.

I think he means that having the front ports at the top of the case is impractical given where the tower will be.

I can't actually think of any good mid-tower cases with front inputs that aren't on the top...

E: Corsair Air 540 or Cooler Master HAF XB II EVO maybe?

Jafku

Thanks. The savings aren't really there anymore compared to custom builds, at least from what I can tell. But I might end up doing it anyway if I'm feeling less adventurous...
I'd go with the suggestions the poster above made
Corsair Air 540:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/wgkD4D/corsair-case-air540
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/WT8Zxr/cooler-master-case-rc902xbkkn2
Corsair 200R:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/cTQypg/corsair-case-200r

Phantoms Enthoo Pro M has the ports on the side?
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jrVBD3/phanteks-case-phes515pbk

Still need to tinker with fan curves and maybe some other things like voltage, but I've got my Ryzen 1700 at 3.7 GHz running at upper 40C while playing WoW and doing a few other things... It was at low 50C just idle before my adjustments.

Still need to stress test of course, but wanted to make sure it didn't over heat in real-world use first.

MechaDekka

Neo Member
Ok, so my build is finally up and running, but the temps are weird. It's an R7 1700x that is overclocked to 3.6ghz. The temp in the UEFI is 60 degrees and the temp in Asus AI suite is also 60. Under load the temps only increase by about 5 degrees. However, when I look at the Ryzen Master software it says 30 degrees at idle. Should I be concerned?

zedge

That build looks good. Better video card and more ram too. Only thing missing is an SSD and OS from the Dell. Although you can install and use win 10 for free. Just lose a few features apparently. Or get a cheap key from CD keys etc.

Top Bottom