• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Ok, so my build is finally up and running, but the temps are weird. It's an R7 1700x that is overclocked to 3.6ghz. The temp in the UEFI is 60 degrees and the temp in Asus AI suite is also 60. Under load the temps only increase by about 5 degrees. However, when I look at the Ryzen Master software it says 30 degrees at idle. Should I be concerned?

I believe the 1700x has a -20C offset applied to it that fools most software, but the Ryzen Master software outputs the correct amount. I think.

NEO0MJ

Motherfuckers...it was bad enough that stores brought RGB ram last week, now they have the NZXT 340. Really regretting building my PC when I did.
They'll probably drop the price of everything I bough next week just to spite me.

Socreges

Banned
I think he means that having the front ports at the top of the case is impractical given where the tower will be.

I can't actually think of any good mid-tower cases with front inputs that aren't on the top...

E: Corsair Air 540 or Cooler Master HAF XB II EVO maybe?
Yeah, exactly.

Unfortunately, these are all a bit too big.

Any thoughts on the Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jrVBD3/phanteks-case-phes515pbk

Ultimately it's the right size, even with the inputs on the top. I just want to make sure there are no deal breakers...?

Edit- looks like it may not be compatible

Edit 2 - hmmm the Corsair Carbide 400C looks like it would work.....thoughts?

Edit 3 - aaaand nm they do their dimensions LxWxH, not the reverse, so it doesn't work

That build looks good. Better video card and more ram too. Only thing missing is an SSD and OS from the Dell. Although you can install and use win 10 for free. Just lose a few features apparently. Or get a cheap key from CD keys etc.
I actually bought an SSD on sale almost a year ago and have a way of getting the OS separately. So I'm good! But thanks

Socreges

Banned
Sorry for the dp but...

Just on the verge of pulling the trigger on purchasing parts for my build but the case size has been a set back. I'm determined to find something that fits comfortably in my desk's 'cubby hole' that was ostensibly designed for this purpose (apparently years back when PCs were a bit smaller).

Dimensions of the spot are:

18H x 9.5W x 19.5L

Would need a bit of space on the W and L, but the problem has really been the height (case must be 17in tall max if there are top inputs). Anything short enough that I've seen is instead too wide.

Is there a way to search for cases by dimensions? Any slightly smaller cases that come to mind?

I'm aware that I might be boned here and may need to just put the case alongside the desk but I'd like to confirm that there are no options first...

Bloodember

Sorry for the dp but...

Just on the verge of pulling the trigger on purchasing parts for my build but the case size has been a set back. I'm determined to find something that fits comfortably in my desk's 'cubby hole' that was ostensibly designed for this purpose (apparently years back when PCs were a bit smaller).

18H x 9.5W x 19.5L

Would need a bit of space on the W and L, but the problem has really been the height (case must be 17in tall max if there are top inputs). Anything short enough that I've seen is instead too wide.

Is there a way to search for cases by dimensions? Any slightly smaller cases that come to mind?

I'm aware that I might be boned here and may need to just put the case alongside the desk but I'd like to confirm that there are no options first...
If you need something small stop looking at towers and look at desktop and HTCP cases. You might also have to switch to mITX. If your not going to need more than a graphics card in your computer that would be a great move anyway. mITX isn't any different in performance than ATX or mATX now a days.

Sorry for the dp but...

18H x 9.5W x 19.5L

Is it completely enclosed? You're gonna want some airflow.

Jafku

Yeah, exactly.

Unfortunately, these are all a bit too big.

Any thoughts on the Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jrVBD3/phanteks-case-phes515pbk

Ultimately it's the right size, even with the inputs on the top. I just want to make sure there are no deal breakers...?

Edit- looks like it may not be compatible

Edit 2 - hmmm the Corsair Carbide 400C looks like it would work.....thoughts?

Edit 3 - aaaand nm they do their dimensions LxWxH, not the reverse, so it doesn't work

I actually bought an SSD on sale almost a year ago and have a way of getting the OS separately. So I'm good! But thanks

so the Define mini c is the case i'm currently using in my build. love it. The only thing you would need to change is the motherboard
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4dP6zM
edited build with a define mini c an micro atx motherboard

tech help question here.

I recently moved into my new house with fibre up and running. However, my laptop can get the full speed of 50mbs and a ping of 10 through wifi, where as my PC using an Ethernet cable gets less than half of that AND a ping of 50.

My PC is in another room to the router and the cable I am running looks about 20 metres in length. Now I have used this cable in the past (not in the last year) and it was fine I think.

Socreges

Banned
If you need something small stop looking at towers and look at desktop and HTCP cases. You might also have to switch to mITX. If your not going to need more than a graphics card in your computer that would be a great move anyway. mITX isn't any different in performance than ATX or mATX now a days.
Noted, thanks

Is it completely enclosed? You're gonna want some airflow.
It's quite open, so shouldn't be an issue.

so the Define mini c is the case i'm currently using in my build. love it. The only thing you would need to change is the motherboard
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4dP6zM
edited build with a define mini c an micro atx motherboard
There it is! I actually looked into the Define Mini C and was disappointed when it wasn't showing as compatible. Thanks for sorting that out. I'm guessing the motherboard switch doesn't come with any consequences?

Jafku

Noted, thanks

It's quite open, so shouldn't be an issue.

There it is! I actually looked into the Define Mini C and was disappointed when it wasn't showing as compatible. Thanks for sorting that out. I'm guessing the motherboard switch doesn't come with any consequences?

not immediately. fwiw I have a micro atx case and mobo. I didn't run into any issues so far

GodofWine

tech help question here.

I recently moved into my new house with fibre up and running. However, my laptop can get the full speed of 50mbs and a ping of 10 through wifi, where as my PC using an Ethernet cable gets less than half of that AND a ping of 50.

My PC is in another room to the router and the cable I am running looks about 20 metres in length. Now I have used this cable in the past (not in the last year) and it was fine I think.

Which type of CAT cable is it? If it isn't Cat 6, try some 6.

MRORANGE

Quick Question:

RX580 8GB or GTX 1060 6GB ?

gaming at 1080p at 75hz
more or less the same price. but RX580 is out of stock.

MRORANGE

Thoughts?

Motherboard: Biostar RACING X370GTN Mini ITX Motherboard
CPU: Ryzen:1700 8 Core @ 3.7 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 at 3000 Mhz - 32 GB
GPU: MSI NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
Primary Storage: WD M.2 500 GB
Secondary Storage: WD 3TB 3.5"
PSU: Corsair 550 W 80+ Bronze
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S

TOTAL: £1201.89

Purpose: Gaming at 1080p/75Hz, Video Editing/CAD/, some virtualisation.

Items on sale right now so wanting to drop on it but just making sure everything is good to go. coming from a Q6600 at 3.0Ghz and a ANMD RX260 with 6GB Corsair DDR2 for system ram.

Hoping for 4.0Ghz for OC, but it's pushing it on a 1700, might get a AIO later to do it.

Thoughts?

Items on sale right now so wanting to drop on it but just making sure everything is good to go. coming from a Q6600 at 3.0Ghz and a ANMD RX260 with 6GB Corsair DDR2 for system ram.

Hoping for 4.0Ghz for OC, but it's pushing it on a 1700, might get a AIO later to do it.

Uh, that motherboard isn't compatible with your Ryzen. Like at all.

Wait lemme double-check that.

Never mind, seems fine. PCPartPicker is being weird with it though and not letting me select that MB with that CPU.

MRORANGE

Cool, is the 550w too much? it's only £3 more than the 450w version. I doubt that system with the OC is gonna be more than 350w max TDP?

RS4-

tech help question here.

At your old place, you had fibre as well? Could be the network drivers or whatever on your PC.

Cool, is the 550w too much? it's only £3 more than the 450w version. I doubt that system with the OC is gonna be more than 350w max TDP?

I'd stick with the 550w. It'll give you room to upgrade later if you so desire, where as the 450w would be a limiting factor. For the £3 difference, I'd say that is worth it.

kmfdmpig

Thoughts?

I have the WD M.2 Black SSD. If you get a great deal on one then it's decent, but without a special sale it's a bit underwhelming compared to most other M.2 drives. If you can get a Samsung 960 Evo for not too much more then that would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Cool, looks like I am ready to go :)

Oh, and about your overclock. Personally, I think 4 GHz on a 1700 with the Wraith (stock) cooler is not an easy feat. You can definitely try, but make sure you monitor your temps closely when you mess with overclocking, and don't be too surprised if you need that AIO cooler sooner rather than later :)

MRORANGE

I have the WD M.2 Black SSD. If you get a great deal on one then it's decent, but without a special sale it's a bit underwhelming compared to most other M.2 drives. If you can get a Samsung 960 Evo for not too much more then that would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Was thinking of the Samsung EVO but went over my budget :|

MRORANGE

Oh, and about your overclock. Personally, I think 4 GHz on a 1700 with the Wraith (stock) cooler is not an easy feat. You can definitely try, but make sure you monitor your temps closely when you mess with overclocking, and don't be too surprised if you need that AIO cooler sooner rather than later :)

Will do :) saw some YT videos and most people only got 3.8ghz on air.

How many ethereum mining assholes do I need to shank before 1070 prices go back to normal?

Goddamit,my 970 couldnt have picked a worse time to die on me.

2500k at 4.6GHz owner checking in who now has the funds to do a processor/mobo/RAM upgrade. I still play at 1200p but hope to update the monitor sooner rather than later, maybe to 4K.

Anywell, I kind of want to get a Ryzen chip to support the competition (and I like to support the little guy), but is there any logical reason I should do a Ryzen 6/8 core over an Intel 76/700k? My desktop is just used for gaming. Quick Googling tells me that Intel still dominates for gaming.

Edit: I generally plan my upgrades for 4 years (the 2500k is an abnormality which is still powerful enough in its 6th year). So my "future planning" is for that 4-year time period.

The Flash

Banned
Just ordered a MSI Z270-A Pro mobo and 16gbs of 3200Mhz of Corsair Vengeance. All I'll need after this is a 7700k and CPU cooler and I'll be set.

2500k at 4.6GHz owner checking in who now has the funds to do a processor/mobo/RAM upgrade. I still play at 1200p but hope to update the monitor sooner rather than later, maybe to 4K.

Anywell, I kind of want to get a Ryzen chip to support the competition (and I like to support the little guy), but is there any logical reason I should do a Ryzen 6/8 core over an Intel 76/700k? My desktop is just used for gaming. Quick Googling tells me that Intel still dominates for gaming.

Edit: I generally plan my upgrades for 4 years (the 2500k is an abnormality which is still powerful enough in its 6th year). So my "future planning" is for that 4-year time period.
Ryzen 6/8 core CPUs give you a bit more cushion when playing games that have heavily multithreaded engines, like Frostbite 3 games.

Also, it can let you get a decent boost in old UE3 games if you follow this guide and let the game use 4 cores for shaders.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So I read up on this boost 3.0 thing and it seems to be a pain in the ass for many people. Can't figure out how to get it to stay still, it just does whatever it wants. Like when I play Fallout I know damn well I don't need my GPU going up to 2ghz but it does it anyway.

What GPU do you have btw?

cyborg009

Banned
Hey guys My PC started to randomly turn off when I was playing overwatch this week and it's pretty annoying. It said it had a power surge but I'm not exactly sure. Do you guys think it's time for a upgrade? I bought my PC+ monitor for about $500 including monitor in 2015

Hey guys My PC started to randomly turn off when I was playing overwatch this week and it's pretty annoying. It said it had a power surge but I'm not exactly sure. Do you guys think it's time for a upgrade? I bought my PC+ monitor for about $500 including monitor in 2015

Probably power supply shitting the bed.

What are the system specs?

cyborg009

Banned
Probably power supply shitting the bed.

What are the system specs?

Intel Pentium CPU G3258
8.00 GB RAM
windows 8.1
AMD Radeon R7 200 series 2GB
EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W Power Supply
BIT Fenix NEOS case.

I'm not in college anymore so I guess I can afford to splurge a bit.

Apt101

What is a good value-for-dollar 32" 1440p monitor? I don't need top of the line specs, just at least 75Hz.

How many ethereum mining assholes do I need to shank before 1070 prices go back to normal?

Goddamit,my 970 couldnt have picked a worse time to die on me.

I feel you. I was going to get a 1070 this month or the next. Now I'm in an indefinite holding pattern.

Lunar FC

Hey guys, I just transfered my hardware into a NZXT s340 Elite. Love the look of the case but my stock cpu cooler is ruining everything. I was looking into getting a Kraken x62, but I was was wondering if I could install it without having to remove the motherboard from the case, don't feel like going through all that again right away.

Thanks. 👍

Hey guys, I just transfered my hardware into a NZXT s340 Elite. Love the look of the case but my stock cpu cooler is ruining everything. I was looking into getting a Kraken x62, but I was was wondering if I could install it without having to remove the motherboard from the case, don't feel like going through all that again right away.

Thanks. 👍

If your case has a window behind the area of the mobo where the CPU is (so you can access it from the back) you should be fine. You may have to remove your RAM or GPU for comfort, but that should be all.

IbukiLordSA

PC Gaf please help, I hope this is the right place for this.

I have an issue on my PC, I bought a new one or rather second hand and I am having issues with the graphics. The seller is very reputable and is willing to help as much as possible so I don't know if this is hardware or software related.

I only bought this to play Tekken 7 :p

Specs are:

Intel i5 4670S
intel dh87rl
8gb RAM
MSI gtx 960 2gb
SANDISK SSD PLUS 240gb
Windows 10
450w PSU

Everything is up to date, drivers and windows.

I don't have anything else installed except for Steam with Tekken 7 and Bayonetta. I have checked the files on steam and it says everything is fine.

Basically I can be playing for 5 minutes or 40 minutes when all of a sudden the screen losing signal and the sound is gone. The PC continues to run but I cannot get any picture until I restart. I have monitoring on there and the logs show the graphics card never going above 57 degrees so I am certain this is not an overheating issue.

I have tried almost everything, my last test is going to be running the video over a DVI cable and having the sound come from the MB to see if the game is still running in the background and it's the card that might be faulty, but not sure what else to check. Event Viewer also shows me no errors before this happens, the only error I get is after reboot telling me the system did not shut down properly.

Sadly I don't have a spare card to test.

Apt101

PC Gaf please help, I hope this is the right place for this.

I have an issue on my PC, I bought a new one or rather second hand and I am having issues with the graphics. The seller is very reputable and is willing to help as much as possible so I don't know if this is hardware or software related.

I only bought this to play Tekken 7 :p

Specs are:

Intel i5 4670S
intel dh87rl
8gb RAM
MSI gtx 960 2gb
SANDISK SSD PLUS 240gb
Windows 10
450w PSU

Everything is up to date, drivers and windows.

I don't have anything else installed except for Steam with Tekken 7 and Bayonetta. I have checked the files on steam and it says everything is fine.

Basically I can be playing for 5 minutes or 40 minutes when all of a sudden the screen losing signal and the sound is gone. The PC continues to run but I cannot get any picture until I restart. I have monitoring on there and the logs show the graphics card never going above 57 degrees so I am certain this is not an overheating issue.

I have tried almost everything, my last test is going to be running the video over a DVI cable and having the sound come from the MB to see if the game is still running in the background and it's the card that might be faulty, but not sure what else to check. Event Viewer also shows me no errors before this happens, the only error I get is after reboot telling me the system did not shut down properly.

Sadly I don't have a spare card to test.

Reseat the GPU and try a new cable (HDMI, I assume).

IbukiLordSA

Reseat the GPU and try a new cable (HDMI, I assume).

Thanks, I have removed the GPU and connected it again but have not tried a new cable, I switch this cable back and fourth with my PS4, so assumed it would be fine. I'm going to run it tonight off DVI and see if anything changes.

dr_mario

In your motherboard QVL chart some kits are listed as working in only 1 dimm socket, some are listed as working when populating 2 dimm sockets, and some are listed in working when filling all 4 dimm sockets (the dots on the right side of the chart). For example, the G.Skill kit F4-2666C16Q2-64GRB is an 8gb x 8 stick kit, but it's only listed as compatible using 1 dimm for some reason. I'm not 100% sure if this is causing your issue but wanted to bring it to your attention just in case.

That's a great information, but it couldn't help me, sadly. I asked amazon if they still take it back. Maybe I can find some working Ram...

Thanks, I have removed the GPU and connected it again but have not tried a new cable, I switch this cable back and fourth with my PS4, so assumed it would be fine. I'm going to run it tonight off DVI and see if anything changes.

What are the CPU temperatures? You mentioned GPU, but not CPU. It's possible the CPU is some how overheating, though it wouldn't be my first guess. Easy to monitor CPU temps with the various software listed in the OP of this thread.

Mahnmut

Hello guys,
planning to update my CPU (3570k). I have a 1080ti and I was wondering if a Ryzen would be a good fit (I was thinking about getting a 1600x or a 1700). Or should I get one of those new Intel cpu ? Thanks

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Thoughts?

ASRock & Gigabyte just released AM4 mini ITX motherboards, get biostar the fuck out of that list!

Thanks. 👍

You can install it without taking the mtherboard out.

IbukiLordSA

What are the CPU temperatures? You mentioned GPU, but not CPU. It's possible the CPU is some how overheating, though it wouldn't be my first guess. Easy to monitor CPU temps with the various software listed in the OP of this thread.

I haven't taken note of the CPU temps because the machine never shuts down, I've had cpu temp issues before which resulted in the machine shutting down but in this case everything is still running just the screen loses signal. I will take note of the CPU on the next test.

I haven't taken note of the CPU temps because the machine never shuts down, I've had cpu temp issues before which resulted in the machine shutting down but in this case everything is still running just the screen loses signal. I will take note of the CPU on the next test.

Yeah, I'm not expecting that to be the issue, but it's so easy to check that you might as well.

FYI to everyone: Microcenter has dropped the price of the Ryzen 1700 to $280 from $300. You can use this coupon for $5 off of a $30 or more purchase to get the price to $275 before tax. This also can combo with their $50 off any compatible motherboard deal.

I bought my Ryzen 1700 from them 13 days ago. Gonna see if I can go in and get a price match to get my $20 difference back... I think they'll let me since it's within the return window. Worst case I just return the CPU, get my money back, and buy the new one at the discounted price.

Top Bottom